Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cover versions that are better than the original song

The Bangles took Jules Shear's sort-of-dreary "If She Knew What She Wants" and turned it into a sunny, wistful confection with Byrds-like harmonies.

Looking Glass had a hit with "Jimmy Loves Mary Anne" but Josie Cotton's stripped-down, faster version is New Wave perfection.

What are some other covers that far outstrip the original?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192January 14, 2024 9:09 PM

1st bitches. I will always Love You.

by Anonymousreply 1February 27, 2023 10:00 PM

It's not better than Carole King's, but I've always loved La Winehouse's cut of this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 27, 2023 10:01 PM

I've written it before, and I'll write it again:

Elton John's cover of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"

George Michael's cover of "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me"

Uncle Kracker "Drift Away"

by Anonymousreply 3February 27, 2023 10:04 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 27, 2023 10:10 PM

Another Bangles song better than the original is their cover of “Hazy Shade of Winter”. That guitar intro is so freakin’ good!

by Anonymousreply 5February 27, 2023 10:11 PM

And "Live".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 27, 2023 10:14 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 27, 2023 10:15 PM

^ oops, I mean this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 27, 2023 10:15 PM

Some people may think the original Beatles version is better. I don't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 27, 2023 10:15 PM

I'll get a lot of hate for this, but I like the Nicki French version of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" much better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 27, 2023 10:19 PM

by Anonymousreply 11February 27, 2023 10:20 PM

phuk

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 27, 2023 10:21 PM

not better, but radically different and great

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 27, 2023 10:23 PM

I'm kinda on the fence on this one, but I think I prefer Lilly's rendition (with her father harmonizing on the chorus) to the Steve Winwood original.

Although I love them both, tbh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 27, 2023 10:25 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 27, 2023 10:30 PM

The singer Valentino performed the original version of the song 'I Was Born This Way' in the mid 70s.

This original version is quite bland & milquetoast. Thank God for Carl Bean, producer Norman Harris and everyone else involved who rearranged this song. Turning a weak Pop R&B number into a Gay Disco Anthem!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 27, 2023 10:34 PM

Carl Bean's Disco Classic version of 'I Was Born This Way'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 27, 2023 10:35 PM

Aretha owns this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 27, 2023 10:37 PM

Bitch stole my song!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 27, 2023 10:39 PM

If you haven't checked out any of the Albuns ( or heck the whole compilation!) Between Susanna Hoffs ( yes *Thee* of the Bangles) and Mathew Sweet doing Absolutely EVERYTHING Fantastical Cover-wuse, get ready to have your socks knocked off! ( I gush, but seriously, it's a dream pairing) Here, a little known gem from Bryan MacLean of LOVE, "Alone Again Or", reinvigorated back to life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 27, 2023 10:39 PM

I also love Aretha's "I Say a Little Prayer".

Not better, just very different and great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 27, 2023 10:41 PM

R20 Hadn’t heard there cover of that. I love The Damned’s cover of that song.

by Anonymousreply 22February 27, 2023 10:47 PM

Has anyone aged better than Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles?

64 here. Older than The Golden Girls when the show started.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 27, 2023 11:02 PM

R20 I’m playing those albums in my shop right now. So good! Thank you! Her version of They Don’t Know is adorable. Not quite as cute as Tracey Ullman’s cover but still great.

by Anonymousreply 24February 27, 2023 11:12 PM

Blondie's "The Tide Is High."

I remember when it was released, it came on the radio and my mom starting humming along to it, knowing some of the words. This surprised me, and when I asked about this, she said she remembered it being on some record a friend of hers had owned. (The Paragons, 1967.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 27, 2023 11:24 PM

Pinball Wizard by Elton John is about as good as the original Who version.

by Anonymousreply 26February 27, 2023 11:55 PM

R9 Totally agree!!!

by Anonymousreply 27February 28, 2023 12:18 AM

Most cover songs of Evanescence sound much better than the original, be it male or female singers. I find the lead singer of Evanescence (Amy Lee) has a harsh, abrasive voice and it always sounds like she’s gasping for air.

Cover songs of Amy ‘Mush Mouth’ Winehouse sound better too.

by Anonymousreply 28February 28, 2023 12:19 AM

Linda Ronstadt's BLUE BAYOU is better than Roy Orbison's (as much as I like him).

by Anonymousreply 29February 28, 2023 12:24 AM

I'm not going to say it's better than the original but No Doubt's version of It's My Life is pretty great.

And the music video is firing on all cylinders:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 28, 2023 12:28 AM

Another vote for The Bangles version of 'Hazy Shade of Winter' and The Damned's cover of, 'Alone Again Or', which also has another great version sung by UFO. There are so many great covers but then so many terrible covers that make me cringe. But I love David Bowie's 'Sorrow', The Doors 'Gloria' and of course Soft Cell with ' Tainted Love', which is a cover. Not a fan of the song but Natalie Imbruglia's, 'Torn', is a cover too. I have always liked the U2 version of 'Night and Day' (steel string mix) and the Naked Eyes version of 'Always Something There To Remind Me'. Will have to think of more now!

by Anonymousreply 31February 28, 2023 12:28 AM

Don't forget about me,

bitches

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 28, 2023 12:35 AM

Carl Carlton's version of Everlasting Love. His was the third version, I believe, after Robert Knight's and Love Affair's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 28, 2023 12:40 AM

Handy Man by James Taylor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 28, 2023 12:42 AM

Here's the original "Elvira" from 1965:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 28, 2023 12:44 AM

Really the song that is THE poster child for this thread is Sinead O’Connor’s cover of Nothing Compares 2U, an easily overlooked song in the Prince canon, but in her hands becomes ethereal and transcendent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 28, 2023 12:46 AM

New York, New York -Frank Sinatra’s version far better than Liza’s

by Anonymousreply 37February 28, 2023 12:46 AM

I much prefer Donna Summer's version of The Way We Were over Barbra Streisand's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 28, 2023 12:49 AM

No shade at Fleetwood Mac, but Dixie Chick's version of Landslide holds up well, twenty years later

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 28, 2023 12:54 AM

[quote]1st bitches. I will always Love You.

I'll take Dolly's version over Whitney's yodeling any day. I say this as someone who is not a country fan.

Close To You by the Carpenters > Richard Chamberlain.

I much prefer Gladys Knight's version of The Way We Were over Barbra Streisand's.

by Anonymousreply 40February 28, 2023 12:59 AM

Sia's Oh Father rivals Madonna's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41February 28, 2023 12:59 AM

Two covers in one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 28, 2023 1:00 AM

Love this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 28, 2023 1:04 AM

Bette Davis Eyes, Kim Carnes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44February 28, 2023 1:10 AM

I wouldn't call it better, but Obadiah Parker's version of Hey Ya really drives home the fact that the lyrics are pretty depressing when the beat is removed.

"Thank god for Mom and Dad for sticking two together, 'cause we don't know how"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 28, 2023 1:17 AM

Blood, Sweat & Tears' cover of 'You've Made Me So Very Happy' is much more enjoyable than (co-writer) Brenda Holloway's original.

By the mid 60s Motown was becoming a little too slick and formulaic for my tastes. Brenda Holloway's recording isn't bad by any means but it's very MOR.

Blood, Sweat & Tears rightfully deserve all credit due them for reimagining, re-arranging and hearing potential through what was IMO a mediocre original.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 28, 2023 1:38 AM

I love threads like these even though I might not agree with the poster. I learn about songs I never knew were covers.

by Anonymousreply 47February 28, 2023 1:44 AM

This, of course, shits all over any earlier versions of the song. Pet Shop Boys nailed the main sentiment of the song: it shouldn't be about some tearjerking, heartfelt paean to a love lost but a declaration of how badly an asshole who sings it mistreated the person it's addressed to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 28, 2023 1:49 AM

Which tunes surprised you most, Dustin? @ r47

by Anonymousreply 49February 28, 2023 1:56 AM

I may just be mesmerized by Robbie Williams in the full bloom of his twink days, but this came around on Spotify randomly last week and I can't get it out of my head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 28, 2023 1:58 AM

I never cared for Morris Albert's suicide-inducing rendition of his hit 'Feelings' and never got the song's appeal. That is until I heard what the R&B artists of the day were doing with it.

The Soul vocal trio Hodges, James & Smith had an enjoyably extravagant, orchestral version of the song. Butvmy favorite version is Bettye LaVette's obscure, stripped down cover. In her hands, it's a slick R&B/Blues ballad with just enough bass & drum involved to keep you from going to sleep.

It thrills me to no end that this neglected powerhouse has been FINALLY received her well-deserved flowers at this late stage of her career & life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 28, 2023 2:01 AM

Hodges, James & Smith's 'Feelings' cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 28, 2023 2:03 AM

Ticket to Ride The Carpenters

Even Lennon or McCartney said they liked this version and loved Karen’s voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 28, 2023 2:07 AM

There have been nearly 200 covers of "Money" done since the song's original release in 1959 by Barrett Strong. But the cover done by The Flying Lizards in 1979 is still my favorite. I just love its quirkiness, and the deadpan delivery fits with the lyrics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 28, 2023 2:09 AM

What's also nice about the arts threads, like this one, is that the trolls who accuse us all of being terfs never click on threads about songs and movies, probably because they're only here to pick fights.

by Anonymousreply 55February 28, 2023 2:09 AM

Because it seems like the quintessential New Wave hit song, it’s sometimes hard to believe Tainted Love by Soft Cell is a cover of 1960s song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 28, 2023 2:20 AM

The Best of Bow Wow Wow has a cover of Fever by Annabelle Lwin, I prefer it to Peggy Lees version.

by Anonymousreply 57February 28, 2023 2:22 AM

A so-so song by The Yardbirds from 1965 mutated into a disco banger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 28, 2023 2:27 AM

Donna Summer - MacArthur Park

Donna Summer - There Goes My Baby

Barbra Streisand - Memory

Diana Ross - Why Do Fools Fall In Love ?

Diana Ross - Tell Mama

Diana Ross - Sweet Soul Music

Diana Ross - Mr. Lee

Dionne Warwick - Our Day Will Come

by Anonymousreply 59February 28, 2023 2:35 AM

"Land of 1000 Dances" by Chris Kenner was a pretty boring, run-of-the-mill 60's R&B dance tune, and its #77 chart peak reflected that.

The Mexican-American group from East L.A., Cannibal & the Headhunters, added the signature "na na na na na" chorus, and it was a vast improvement. Their version made it to #30.

Finally, Wilson Pickett got a hold of it, and really took it home. As much as I love the Headhunters version, I have to admit that Pickett's was superior...more exciting, more energetic, and of course with better vocals. His version made the top 10 (#6), and hit #1 on the R&B chart.

Here's the Chris Kenner original:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60February 28, 2023 2:38 AM

Cannibal & the Headhunters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 28, 2023 2:40 AM

And finally, "Wicked" Wilson Pickett

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 28, 2023 2:41 AM

I'm sure I'm (rightfully) in the minority here, but I've never enjoyed another rendition of the Jazz Standard 'By Myself' as much as I have Cher's excellent version from her 1973 LP "Bittersweet White Light". And I say this with full knowledge of Judy Garland's showstopping early 60s recording.

This is due in large part to Sonny Bono's interesting arrangement of the song. I don't think anyone's ever done a serious reevaluation of his work and discovered his talents as a Producer-Arranger. That's extremely unfortunate.

And FYI, Cher's "Bittersweet White Light" project was a collection of Jazz & Pop standards completely reinterpreted in an Early 70s Pop style with little to no regard for the original arrangements. And that's a good thing! It made the songs sound fresh and prevented them from sounding too "Lounge" or schmaltzy. Yet another cool but neglected LP in Cher's massive catalog.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63February 28, 2023 2:46 AM

R49 -

Elvira

You've Made Me So Very Happy

Everlasting Love

The Tide Is High

Possibly, many of these cover versions are not better than the original songs but were done when we were coming up.

by Anonymousreply 64February 28, 2023 2:48 AM

Everybody’s cover of this, even Take That.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65February 28, 2023 2:58 AM

Decent song covers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 28, 2023 3:03 AM

Decent song covers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67February 28, 2023 3:05 AM

Decent song covers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68February 28, 2023 3:05 AM

R66 R67 R68 , you're right. This is an oft-done topic but a harmless and fun one for music-lovers.

by Anonymousreply 69February 28, 2023 3:12 AM

I had never heard 'Empire' by Shakira when I first played this version:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70February 28, 2023 3:17 AM

This is better than the duet she did with Roy Orbison and maybe even better than Roy’s solo of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 28, 2023 3:22 AM

R63 Thanks for that info. Repeats of Sonny and Cher were on a few years ago and I loved all of the standards she covered in those episodes. I wonder if they did them on the show first and inspired the album, or performed them on the show after the album? Either way, I never picked up on the newer arrangements but loved what she did with them.

by Anonymousreply 72February 28, 2023 3:25 AM

Listening to Marie' Digby's cover of 'Million Reasons' led me to this one (I already posted it in the 'Great Male Singers' thread, because it's great).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 28, 2023 3:27 AM

Lou Reed crafted a haunting Pop melody when he wrote 'Femme Fatale' for Nico & The Velvet Underground. It's such a good song that I've never heard a bad cover of it.

But my favorite rendition by a long shot is the John Phillips-produced recording on (then wife) Genevieve Waite. As far as I can tell, it wasn't released until 20 years or so ago when Miss Waite's 1974 album "Romance Is On The Rise" got a CD re-release with bonus tracks. Good shit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74February 28, 2023 3:30 AM

One more Marie' Digby and I'll stop:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75February 28, 2023 3:48 AM

Hard to believe there's no official version of this: Alison Krauss & Jerry Douglas cover Paul Simon's 'Graceland.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76February 28, 2023 3:55 AM

P.P. Always does it better. Except in the case of Angel of the Morning which was done best by Billie Davis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77February 28, 2023 4:00 AM

Superstition, SRV

by Anonymousreply 78February 28, 2023 4:04 AM

10cc covered by Olive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79February 28, 2023 4:15 AM

Van Halen was the best at this - Dancing in the Street, You Really Got Me, etc

by Anonymousreply 80February 28, 2023 4:20 AM

Cheap Trick by Erin Hamilton

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81February 28, 2023 4:22 AM

Speaking of Lou Reed, I used to have a boyfriend who was really into Velvet Underground and would hear Reed singing his "Sweet Jane." Liked it a lot.

But the Cowboy Junkies' cover is just so beautiful and haunting. Truly a masterpiece of reinvention. I think of their version first now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 28, 2023 4:36 AM

Vanessa Mae improved Donna Summer's I Feel Love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83February 28, 2023 4:47 AM

KD Lang was mentioned upthread.

My second favorite album of hers is "Drag" that she released in 1997.

So many great covers. The Joker & Theme From Valley of the Dolls are stand outs.

And while I'm still partial to the Hollies original, KD puts a nice spin on an old classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84February 28, 2023 5:31 AM

"The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Mirage" by the Jackson 5 was much better than Smokey Robinson's version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85February 28, 2023 5:40 AM

Johnny Cash’s cover of Nine Inch Nail’s “Hurt.” Amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86February 28, 2023 5:51 AM

Oops. Wrong link. Here it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87February 28, 2023 5:54 AM

Natalie Imbruglia "Torn"

by Anonymousreply 88February 28, 2023 5:55 AM

Oops. Wrong link. Here it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89February 28, 2023 5:55 AM

I do love this lounge version of Black Hole Sun by Steve & Eydie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90February 28, 2023 5:58 AM

I'm sure most of DataLounge will fondly remember when Lawrence Welk took Werner Mueller's "Tivioli Melodie" and turned it into his huge hit, "Calcutta." Quite the 1960 chart topper!

{quote] "Calcutta" stayed atop the US pop chart for two weeks while the album, with its combination of easy listening tunes and covers of then-popular rock singles, also charted at #1 for two weeks, spending three months on the chart. At the time "Calcutta" reached #1, Welk, who was 57, became the oldest artist to have a number one pop single in the U.S.

Maybe it was harpsichord? Maybe it was the accordion? Or maybe America just loved that electric guitar sound! The hand-clapping is also special and was emphasized even more in Welk's '71 version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91February 28, 2023 6:04 AM

Surely there's a Rolling Stone list of the 100 greatest covers of all time and if Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You isn't at the top, I'd be shocked. I think even Dolly calls it Whitney's song now.

Now, I don't think anyone could ever do a better cover of Jolene or Coat of Many Colors or 9 to 5 then Dolly, but what Houston did with IWALY was really the peak of covering a song and making it their own.

And then Dolly invested $10 million from royalties in the song into a Black neighborhood in TN and calls it the neighborhood that Whitney built.

It's not just an amazing cover, it's a legacy.

by Anonymousreply 92February 28, 2023 6:22 AM

June Carter wrote and recorded Ring of Fire with her sisters.

Cash's version became one of the biggest hits of his career, staying at No. 1 on the country chart for seven weeks. It was certified gold by the RIAA on January 21, 2010, and has sold over 1.2 million digital downloads. It was named the fourth greatest country song of all time by Country Music Television, while Rolling Stone listed it as the 87th greatest song of all time and the 27th greatest country song of all time.

My personal "ring of fire" happened when I got my Ben Gay mixed up with my Preparation H!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93February 28, 2023 6:25 AM

That's funny r93, because I've always liked Wall of Voodoo's version better than Cash's!

But Johnny Cash's cover of Trent Reznor's Hurt is better than the original.

by Anonymousreply 94February 28, 2023 6:38 AM

I prefer the Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry version of "Like a Hurricane" to Neil Young's original. (Have a really hard time with Neil's voice.) Also, the addition of the saxophone in Ferry's arrangement is brilliant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95February 28, 2023 6:49 AM

"Stop Your Sobbing" was just a song on the The Kinks' first album in 1064. It wasn't released as a single, and some were confused by its addition, saying it sounded '50s.

Pretenders covered it on their first album in 1979, and it was the band's first single.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96February 28, 2023 7:07 AM

^ 1064 meant to be 1964, of course. ;)

by Anonymousreply 97February 28, 2023 7:07 AM

R95 I adore Bryan Ferry, but can we talk about how every stereo store and car radio store from 1987 through 2007, a good two decades, always played "Avalon" to showcase their speakers?

How the fuck did they all agree that Avalon was the song?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98February 28, 2023 7:11 AM

Scroll to Act 3 where Sarah Vowell tells the tale of the greatest love story between June and Johnny:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99February 28, 2023 7:23 AM

Private Life, Grace Jones

by Anonymousreply 100February 28, 2023 7:28 AM

I've always loved this Tori Amos cover of "I'm On Fire." I think it only aired on VH-1 as a special back in the 90s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101February 28, 2023 7:46 AM

Chaka Khan's "I feel for you".

It was originally recorded by Jack Jones in 1962

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102February 28, 2023 7:53 AM

A great David Bowie song, but I now think of Nirvana's unplugged version of "The Man Who Sold the World."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103February 28, 2023 8:02 AM

All Along The Watchtower (Bob Dylan) feat. Warren Haynes | Playing For Change

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104February 28, 2023 8:09 AM

The Gourds - Gin And Juice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105February 28, 2023 8:15 AM

Rhiannon Giddens - Shes Got You

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106February 28, 2023 8:15 AM

Everything But The Girl - Alison

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107February 28, 2023 8:16 AM

Annie Lennox's cover of "No More 'I Love You's'"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108February 28, 2023 8:16 AM

Indigo Girls - Tangled Up In Blue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109February 28, 2023 8:17 AM

Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110February 28, 2023 8:19 AM

I'll contribute a "Have a seat, Elton" twofer, from the same tribute album. First, Sinéad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111February 28, 2023 8:20 AM

Then, Oleta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112February 28, 2023 8:20 AM

Rachelle Ferrell - Autumn Leaves

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113February 28, 2023 8:23 AM

Ryan Adams

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114February 28, 2023 8:25 AM

Nickel Creek's Toxic

suck it, Britney!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115February 28, 2023 8:27 AM

DMA'S

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116February 28, 2023 9:03 AM

Speaking of Everything But the Girl, their cover of Downtown Train guts me on a level that the others who sing it just don’t reach. They sing it as a conversation between former lovers. Tracey sings dismissively of those Brooklyn girls who are trying to break out of their little worlds (think Travolta in Saturday Night Fever), but she’s coming to the realization that as much as she hates them, she is one of them too and she will never escape it and instead will be crush and destroyed. It adds a whole other level of pathos. Pay especially close attention to how Ben sings “thorns” with the feel of a twist of a knife. Of course Thorne is Tracey’s last name adding a whole other deeper level.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117February 28, 2023 9:32 AM

This is a bit of a cheat, but an amazing interpretation none the less. Morissette takes a song that is sung by one singer, and without any major changes, makes it a conversation between two couples for the stage show. One is a long term couple having troubles and possibly igniting old flames, and the other couple just getting to know each other and it’s about the exuberance of their experience. All that is conveyed and contained in the song, without even knowing anything about the the show or characters itself. She completely reinterprets the song by breaking it up for four voices instead of one, and it’s so seamless as if that is how it was meant to be the whole time. It’s gone from a bubble gum pop song to conveying the complexity of something taking place in an opera.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118February 28, 2023 9:47 AM

Patsy Cline - Crazy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119February 28, 2023 9:53 AM

Cowboy Junkies - Sweet Jane (Lou Reed)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120February 28, 2023 10:03 AM

Joan Jett and The Blackhearts - Crimson and Clover

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121February 28, 2023 10:06 AM

Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122February 28, 2023 10:21 AM

Disturbed - The Sound Of Silence

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123February 28, 2023 10:28 AM

Richard Cheese & The Lounge Machine - Down With The Sickness

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124February 28, 2023 10:29 AM

Richard Thompson - Oops I Did It Again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125February 28, 2023 10:55 AM

Michael McDonald - "I Can Let Go Now"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126February 28, 2023 1:33 PM

Everybody Wang Chung Tonight

(originally recorded by The Carter Family in 1949 at the Grand Ole Opry)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127February 28, 2023 1:33 PM

Depeche Mode's 'Monument' covered by Icelandic band Gus Gus. It was on a 90s DM tribute album called For the Massses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128February 28, 2023 1:48 PM

WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE - Olivia Newton-John

by Anonymousreply 129February 28, 2023 2:38 PM

"We Are Never Getting Back Together" - Aaron Tveit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130February 28, 2023 3:10 PM

Many of Blondie’s most popular songs are covers: “Hanging on the Telephone,” “Denis,” The Tide is High,” “I’m Gonna Love You Too.” I think there are others (‘In the Flesh’?)

by Anonymousreply 131February 28, 2023 3:18 PM

“Time After Time” by Dusty Springfield. I don’t remember if Margaret Whiting or Chet Baker was first, but as great as those are, this blows them out of the water.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132February 28, 2023 3:24 PM

Neutron Dance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133February 28, 2023 4:50 PM

Propaganda's version of Josef K's Sorry For Laughing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134February 28, 2023 7:48 PM

R134 I had no idea that was a cover! Wow, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 135February 28, 2023 9:10 PM

I enjoy Patti Smith Group's version of "So You Want To Be a Rock and Roll Star" more than the original by The Byrds.

The tempo is slowed down by PSG, and it doesn't come off as frenetic . I think Patti's deep solo voice pairs with the lyrics better than the group vocals done by the Byrds, plus her intonation gets the point of the song better. And instead of the trumpet ,we get a much more rock and roll sound by PSG for a song about ... rock and roll! .. Love the guitar, keyboard, and drum beat in the PSG version as well. .. The Byrds version actually sounds kind of thin and tinny to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136February 28, 2023 9:29 PM

Patty over Roger Miller…high camp

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137February 28, 2023 9:43 PM

I'd never realized how bad Carole Bayer Sager's original version of "Stronger Than Before" was, until it came up randomly while I was listening to some 70's pop on Spotify. She's really not much of a singer.

It's not even that great a song, but while it was playing, I kept hearing Chaka Khan's version in my head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138March 1, 2023 11:08 PM

Nothing against Al Green, but I prefer Talking Heads' version of "Take Me to the River."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139March 2, 2023 4:15 AM

The Beatles --- "Twist and Shout"

by Anonymousreply 140March 2, 2023 4:49 AM

The Byrds Mr. tambourine man.

by Anonymousreply 141March 2, 2023 4:59 AM

Holy fuck R2.

That's a GREAT cover. Winehouse really had the good didn't she?

by Anonymousreply 142March 2, 2023 5:41 AM

She ain't a dramatic soprano for nothing. Patty Labelle holds Bob Dylan and that final note for RANSOM.

She is literally and vocally far too much. I still love this performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143March 2, 2023 7:07 AM

Beth Hart does Etta James justice. With Joe Bonamassa. Real deals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 2, 2023 7:24 AM

Even better than Chris Stapleton's cover of Harlan Alive is his LIVE duet of the song with its orginator - the great Patty Loveless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145March 2, 2023 7:45 AM

Janis Joplin - Me And Bobby McGee

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146March 2, 2023 8:01 AM

Bonnie Raitt - Angel From Montgomery

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147March 2, 2023 8:03 AM

Laibach best Queen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148March 2, 2023 8:36 AM

I just recently came across this one - Walter Egan’s cover of Stevie Nicks’ “Sisters of the Moon”. Stevie and Lindsey famously sang backing vocals to his ‘Magnet and Steel’.

I love the Fleetwood Mac version but he really does his own thing with it and gives it a totally different energy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149March 2, 2023 12:47 PM

R145 Patty’s voice is gone.

by Anonymousreply 150March 2, 2023 1:20 PM

Samara Joy is REAL. A voice like hers doesn't come around everyday. She's not quite fully baked yet.... but totally amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151March 2, 2023 10:54 PM

Chaka Khan knows where all the bodies and crack pipes are buried!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152March 2, 2023 11:00 PM

There's another segment on that same podcast, R152, where they discuss Rolling Stone's top 100 singers. She refuses to comment on Beyonce placement in the top 10. Even though it's clear she was angry about it.

I guess even icons are afraid of the Beyhive! Those fans are insane.

by Anonymousreply 153March 3, 2023 12:35 AM

Etta James singing I Got You Babe. It was on The Last of Us last week. Wow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154March 3, 2023 12:58 AM

Marvin Gaye - I Heard it Through the Grapevine. Although Gladys' version is pretty good as well.

I am not sure this would be a cover, because it sounds like they recorded it the same time, but Marvin's version was the second version released, but it was already recorded when Gladys released her version.

by Anonymousreply 155March 3, 2023 1:03 AM

I sure enjoyed this version by Miss Reinhart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156March 3, 2023 1:17 AM

I didn't expect to like it, but I just loved Don McLean's cover of "Crying".

The Carpenters cover of Ruby and the Romantics' "Hurting Each Other".

But my all-time favorite remake is the Doobie Brothers remake of "Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me)"

by Anonymousreply 157March 3, 2023 1:52 AM

I like Lisa Marie Presley's version of Dirty Laundry more than Don Henley's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158March 3, 2023 2:01 AM

Rex Smith & Rachel Sweet Everlasting Love

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159March 3, 2023 2:02 AM

Killdozer, “I Am, I Said”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160March 3, 2023 9:17 PM

Ciccone Youth, “Into the Groovey”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161March 3, 2023 9:19 PM

Concrete Blonde covered George Harrison's "Beware of Darkness."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162March 8, 2023 6:46 AM

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163March 8, 2023 7:02 AM

Kate Miller Heidke - Toxic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164March 8, 2023 7:06 AM

Joe Cocker’s soulful rendition of “A Little Help From M Friends” is by far superior to the Beatles’ sing-songy original, thanks mostly to the back-up singers.

And speaking of soul, Aretha Franklin owns this thread with several entries: I Say a Little Prayer, Eleanor Rigby, and of course, Respect.

by Anonymousreply 165March 8, 2023 9:52 AM

Another excellent cover by Siouxsie & The Banshees - This Wheel's On Fire (Bob Dylan)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166March 8, 2023 10:03 AM

Grace Jones - Love Is The Drug

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167March 8, 2023 12:48 PM

Any Bob Dylan song.

by Anonymousreply 168March 8, 2023 1:50 PM

R168, so true. Both George Harrison and Olivia Newton-John's versions of "If Not For You" were far better than Nasal Bob's.

by Anonymousreply 169March 9, 2023 2:28 AM

[quote]Cover versions that are better than the original recording

I couldn't take it any more, you illiterate creature.

by Anonymousreply 170March 9, 2023 2:30 AM

R168 I'm laughing cuz I was thinking the exact same thing when I posted that Siouxsie song.

by Anonymousreply 171March 9, 2023 2:33 AM

Tanya Tucker recorded The House That Built Me and changed a few words to change the POV. There is so much regret in her version.

Her damaged, still resonant voice sounds ancestral and haunted. Gorgeous. It's a country song - so the emotions and melody are straightforward - but she does a great job with the nuance. It's fucking sad.

Miranda Lambert sang it as a child returning home. Tanya can't go home again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172March 9, 2023 3:10 AM

George Michael's "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?"

by Anonymousreply 173March 9, 2023 4:23 AM

Most Dylan covers are "better" than the originals, but I believe Dylan himself says this is Jimi's song now:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174March 10, 2023 2:13 AM

This might be a tie: Troggs vs. Hendrix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175March 10, 2023 2:23 AM

As the poster above said, most all Dylan covers are better. Is Bob Dylan still alive? Neither are most of the people who covered his songs.

Nanci Griffin. Boots of Spanish Leather.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176March 10, 2023 2:30 AM

Not too many people cover songs identified with Sinead. Pink's live cover of Nothing Compares to You is quite beautiful. The song was a Prince cover to start with....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177March 30, 2023 4:20 AM

Jesus was a Crossmaker as covered by Mama Cass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178March 30, 2023 4:27 AM

Alien Ant Farm's cover of Michael Jackson's "Smoth Criminal" is amazing.

Sinead O'Connor's cover of Prince's "Nothing Compares to You" is another great example.

by Anonymousreply 179March 30, 2023 4:30 AM

R177, I like Pink (very much actually) but her cover isn't half as good as Sinead's. Let alone better.

by Anonymousreply 180March 30, 2023 5:01 AM

Sinead turned out to be an affected hack, like Alannis Morrisette. Their popularity was before my time.

Pink delivers a stellar vocal over a beautiful live orchestration. It's a very fine performance of the actual song.

by Anonymousreply 181March 30, 2023 5:55 AM

Dean who?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182March 30, 2023 6:02 AM

Light My Fire as a ballad by José Feliciano

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183March 30, 2023 6:21 AM

Rufus Wainwright's cover of Sandy Denny's "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" edges out the original in my book

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184March 30, 2023 6:35 AM

Get Ready, by Rare Earth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185January 14, 2024 3:39 PM

Cyndi’s version of Jules Shears’s All Through The Night is far superior to the original.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186January 14, 2024 3:48 PM

I like this as much for the arrangement as the vocals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187January 14, 2024 3:52 PM

why was Nikki French style like she just left a PTA meeting.

by Anonymousreply 188January 14, 2024 4:08 PM

Glee’s cover of Florence + The Machine “Shake it Out”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189January 14, 2024 4:18 PM

Stevie Ray Vaughan's cover of Hendrix's " Little Wing". He really expands on the original.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190January 14, 2024 4:21 PM

"Black Magic Woman" - Santana's version is way better than Fleetwood Mac's.

by Anonymousreply 191January 14, 2024 9:08 PM

"I Love Rock and Roll" by Joan Jett is better than the Arrows.

by Anonymousreply 192January 14, 2024 9:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!