Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DeSantis takes over Disney

Why are they just rolling over? Disney should pack up and move to a different state

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195March 31, 2023 7:25 AM

I'm glad De Santis is doing this. Disney can fight for what's right, just like all Floridians. Or not.

by Anonymousreply 1February 27, 2023 5:39 PM

Disnantis World

by Anonymousreply 2February 27, 2023 5:41 PM

[quote] The governor also announced his choices for the board: Bridget Ziegler, a member of the Sarasota County School Board and a supporter of Moms for Liberty; Seminole County attorney Michael Sasso; attorney Martin Garcia of Tampa as chairman; Ron Peri, CEO of The Gathering USA, a ministry that focuses on faith and culture; and Clearwater attorney Brian Aungst.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 27, 2023 5:43 PM

Ron Distopia

by Anonymousreply 4February 27, 2023 5:44 PM

How did a huge billion dollar company get fucked in the ass like this? That’s crazy if they take it.

by Anonymousreply 5February 27, 2023 5:46 PM

Disney should 100% pull out of Florida and crash their economy.

by Anonymousreply 6February 27, 2023 5:46 PM

Isn't this a self own that is going to take all the services that Disney currently pays for themselves, and move the costs onto the tax-payers?

by Anonymousreply 7February 27, 2023 5:56 PM

Does Florida really rely on Disney World for their economy?

by Anonymousreply 8February 27, 2023 6:03 PM

Yes r7

by Anonymousreply 9February 27, 2023 6:03 PM

^ ???

[quote] Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Monday undid a looming $1.2 billion tax hike on Central Florida residents that he inadvertently imposed a year ago in a hastily passed bill meant to punish Walt Disney Co. for criticizing his so-called “Don’t Say Gay” law.

[...]

[quote] Had that law taken effect on June 1 as scheduled, their tax bills would have increased by thousands of dollars per year until 2038, when the bonds the Reedy Creek Improvement District issued to pay for roads and other public works on Disney property would finally be paid off.

[quote] Such a tax hike would have been a political disaster for DeSantis, who is expected to announce his presidential bid later this spring. The urgency of resolving the matter was reflected in his decision to include it during a special legislative session this month rather than wait for the start of the regular session in early March. Florida governors historically have had far more control of legislation during a special session than the regular 60-day session, in which bills often get cluttered with extraneous language and caught up in horse-trading.

[quote]The bill DeSantis signed into law Monday repeals last April’s Disney law and gives him and future governors the task of appointing the board for Disney’s taxing district, which was renamed the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District. It otherwise leaves untouched the district’s ability to issue bonds to pay for improvements on Disney property.

[...]

[quote] During Monday’s 45-minute bill signing, DeSantis used repeated misrepresentations and outright falsehoods to describe both Disney’s previous and new tax and regulatory frameworks.

[...]

[quote] His critics already criticize him for aping Trump’s personality traits to win over his voters. DeSantis on Monday provided them a bit more fodder by holding up the bill to show off his signature to the audience and the cameras ― just as Trump used to at his bill signings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 27, 2023 6:08 PM

I don’t understand how this aligns with conservatism or Republican ideology. It shows that the Republican Party isn’t what it was at all and it’s evolved into dictatorship.

by Anonymousreply 11February 27, 2023 6:09 PM

R11, you make me laugh! NOTHING they do “makes sense”, haven’t you yet noticed that they actually get off on hypocrisy?!? They looooove it because they’re fucking stupid.

Disney can’t leave, there is no move that they could make to outmaneuver DeSantis on this. It is such a bummer and it depresses me, though I hate Disney too.

by Anonymousreply 12February 27, 2023 6:12 PM

[quote] I don’t understand how this aligns with conservatism or Republican ideology

To conservatives the sole function of government is to protect citizens against enemies (and maybe build a road or a post office or something.)

Listen to DeSantis, Gym, MTG... You don't even have to listen closely, only stop believing that they view all residents as citizens. To them gays, teachers, minorities, artists and liberals are, literally, the enemy. While Scott Adams is under fire right now for calling for segregation, that is no different than MTG calling for a national divorce or DeSantis proclaiming at this bill signing that he has vanquished "the corporate kingdom".

Whether we want to admit it or not, they, on behalf of REAL AMERICANS have declared war on us.

by Anonymousreply 13February 27, 2023 6:20 PM

[quote]I don’t understand how this aligns with conservatism or Republican ideology

Reactionaries are gonna react. It's all they know how to do—throw temper tantrums.

by Anonymousreply 14February 27, 2023 6:30 PM

Extremely Anti-Capitalism

by Anonymousreply 15February 27, 2023 6:31 PM

They should move to Arizona or another warm climate state. I am sure they would beg for them to set up shop

by Anonymousreply 16February 27, 2023 6:38 PM

[Quote]To conservatives the sole function of government is to protect citizens against enemies (and maybe build a road or a post office or something.)

No, to conservatives, the sole purpose of government is to keep their boot on the neck of minorities while enriching the corporate oligarchy. They don't give a shit about "protecting" people. It's all about keeping power for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 17February 27, 2023 6:43 PM

I wonder what kind of yes-men DeSantis surrounds himself with. What made him think this would make him look good in the eyes of moderates.

by Anonymousreply 18February 27, 2023 6:46 PM

[quote] It's all about keeping power for themselves.

That's what I said in the last line

by Anonymousreply 19February 27, 2023 6:47 PM

I wouldn't worry too much. I have a feeling that DeSantis is going to pay for this big time.

by Anonymousreply 20February 27, 2023 6:47 PM

[QUote]Disney should pack up and move to a different state

Disney World would probably have to pay billions to relocate. And how many other states are going to give them such privileges and guarantee it? A new governor can come in and change it.

by Anonymousreply 21February 27, 2023 6:49 PM

I work for Disney. Little known fact : Spaceship Earth can be dismantled and fit into 2 carry-on suitcases.

by Anonymousreply 22February 27, 2023 6:53 PM

[quote] I wonder what kind of yes-men DeSantis surrounds himself with

Some of the worst of the worst

[quote] ...Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee, Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt and Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds, an influential Republican from an early nominating state who recently appeared with Nikki Haley as the former U.N. ambassador made her first presidential campaign trail swing. Friday’s discussion of the coronavirus included DeSantis, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) and Florida surgeon general Joseph Ladapo

[quote] Sens. Mike Lee (R-Utah), Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) and Rep. Chip Roy (R-Tex.) also spoke, people at the retreat said, and DeSantis’s wife, Casey DeSantis — who is often described as the governor’s closest adviser — discussed her role as Florida’s first lady. Mick Mulvaney, Trump’s former acting White House chief of staff, was there. And a Saturday night panel featured leaders with the Claremont Institute, the conservative think tank that recently announced an expansion to Florida and stood by one of its scholars, the lawyer John Eastman, amid blowback for his role in Trump’s unsuccessful efforts to overturn the 2020 election.

[quote] Also present: Adam Laxalt — DeSantis’s former roommate from Naval Justice School and the 2022 GOP U.S. Senate nominee in Nevada — and conservative media figures and online influencers, such as Benny Johnson, whose viral content has helped propel DeSantis’s rise on the right. DeSantis courted some of those same influencers last year with a dinner at the governor’s mansion.

[quote] Fox News host Laura Ingraham and activist Christopher Rufo spoke for the final day of programming, attendees said. DeSantis staffer and former spokeswoman Christina Pushaw,

[quote] Joe Borelli, a New York City councilman and longtime Trump ally...

[quote] DeSantis was introduced by former congressman Lee Zeldin

[...]

[quote] Some people who have met with him in recent weeks say he remains stilted in one-on-one conversations and sometimes struggles to make small talk or appear enthusiastic while engaging in the glad-handing critical to winning states such as New Hampshire, Iowa and South Carolina. Other Republicans dismiss criticisms of DeSantis’s retail politics skills or say he’s markedly improved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 27, 2023 7:02 PM

DeSantis has no other policy than to own the libs, so the more the libs protest, the bigger the public win for deSantis. If he has to take position on any subject matter, he'll only consider what will make him look like he owns the libs the most and he'll do just that. He's actually a very predictable 2-dimensional character. But he is also an introvert and can be extremely socially awkward, so the somewhat educated guess is that the more the MAGAts get to know him, the less they'll find him likable.

by Anonymousreply 24February 27, 2023 7:06 PM

Wait until the taxes go sky high with this stunt. They won't love Ron so much then.

by Anonymousreply 25February 27, 2023 7:14 PM

Disney can't move the parks, but they can cancel the Lake Nona project. Many employees in CA have quit or are waiting it out figuring this project will go bust.

by Anonymousreply 26February 27, 2023 7:35 PM

I don't understand these people who want to see Disney or Netflix or whatever entertainment they deem to be "woke" burn to the ground. Like, what do they think its going to happen next? The Creation Museum will be the next Disney? Pureflix will be the next Netflix? Everyone will suddenly clamber for their Jesus approved anti-woke entertainment?

by Anonymousreply 27February 27, 2023 7:48 PM

Ok, I actually read the bill for once. It looks like Disney gets to keep their building permits and tax exemptions. He took away their right to build a Disney airport though. Nice job, Ron! Owning the Libs 😂

by Anonymousreply 28February 27, 2023 8:04 PM

R27, they think it would be a better world that way — isn’t that hilarious??

Dems need to drive home “we live in a pluralistic society, THAT is what makes America great, and while we have never fully realized our potential, we must continue to aspire to a country that is built for ALL”. It’s hard to argue against words and ideas like “all” and “aspire” and “pluralist”.

DeSantis is a DICKHEAD. The only good thing Trump has ever done is nicknaming him Meatball. He’s a fatass, and we must remind him of that at all times. Fucking Dego Fatty!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 29February 27, 2023 8:07 PM

I believe that DeSantis has not felt the full force of the Dark Mouse. Dark Brandon and the Dark Mouse will prevail.

by Anonymousreply 30February 27, 2023 8:08 PM

The mouse becomes public domain next year, so.

by Anonymousreply 31February 27, 2023 8:12 PM

His cas doesn't...

by Anonymousreply 32February 27, 2023 8:17 PM

[quote]The mouse becomes public domain next year, so.

Only the earliest iteration—Steamboat Willie—and Disney still has a trademark for Mickey Mouse himself. Trademarks, unlike copyrights, can be renewed indefinitely.

by Anonymousreply 33February 27, 2023 9:02 PM

First step for President DeSantis: nationalizing the country's industries. Second step: establishing workers' collectives and laying out five-year economic plans. Right?

by Anonymousreply 34February 27, 2023 9:11 PM

Florida, step up and start making your vote count.

Disney is too big to move so change needs to come from within.

by Anonymousreply 35February 27, 2023 9:18 PM

The Villages and the Cuban demographic assured more DeSantis.

The Democratic opposition is weak and not cleaver.

by Anonymousreply 36February 27, 2023 9:21 PM

The stupid ones think that, R27. The remainder --the angry ones-- don't care about the outcome, they're just happy to see something they consider "woke" or know others enjoy, burn to the ground. The latter are sadistic cunts.

by Anonymousreply 37February 27, 2023 11:04 PM

I have no idea about the outcome of this, but I wouldn't rule out Disney winning in the long term. My ex was a VP there in the 90s, and I remember a failed fundie boycott because of same-sex benefits. . And Disney controls much more now- Pixar, Marvel, ESPN. It's such a diverse portfolio of entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 38February 28, 2023 12:16 AM

The "Disney should just leave Florida" advocates have to be the stupidest fucking morons ever. I see comments like this all over social media.

Walt Disney World is twice the size of Manhattan (roughly equal in size to San Francisco). It has four theme parks, two water parks, 30,000+ hotel rooms spread across more than two dozen properties, and hundreds of restaurants/stores. It can't just be relocated like a traveling carnival.

by Anonymousreply 39February 28, 2023 12:24 AM

Is Disney incensed by this ? What will That do the their stocks ?

by Anonymousreply 40February 28, 2023 12:25 AM

He didn’t punish anyone. The net change is to the method for filling out the District’s board seats. The debt secured by District tax revenues remains the same, and taxes paid byDisney, ñ as property owner, still service the bonds…full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

by Anonymousreply 41February 28, 2023 12:27 AM

Disney will crush Rhonda Santis for this. Just wait and see what a little pissant "governor" in white knee-high boots will look like when Disney Corp. takes its revenge.

Disney is worth a hell of a lot more to Florida and Floridians than Rhonda is or ever will be. He's toast.

by Anonymousreply 42February 28, 2023 12:31 AM

[quote]He didn’t punish anyone. The net change is to the method for filling out the District’s board seats. The debt secured by District tax revenues remains the same, and taxes paid byDisney, ñ as property owner, still service the bonds…

Exactly. Disney loses control but still has to pay back the bonds by paying the same taxes (and maybe more in the future). It would be quite a challenge to try to spin that as anything but a win for Florida.

by Anonymousreply 43February 28, 2023 12:33 AM

His new book should be banned from blue states.

No surprise that his stop in NY is to that trash heap known as Staten Island. It's time NYC vote to give them to some shithole red state.

by Anonymousreply 44February 28, 2023 12:33 AM

Actually, there is a spin. Disney can cancel Lake Nona and cost the state billions. I hope they do.

by Anonymousreply 45February 28, 2023 12:45 AM

Disney is a long game.

Rhonda has 8 years max.

by Anonymousreply 46February 28, 2023 12:50 AM

Hmm.... let's see now...

Huge, successful, multi-national conglomerate (often known as Mauschwitz) vs Rhonda Santis with only 3 years of executive experience as governor of the state Disney runs and funds.

Gee... it's so hard to figure out who will win this fight.

by Anonymousreply 47February 28, 2023 1:19 AM

[quote]Gee... it's so hard to figure out who will win this fight.

Read a newspaper. Rhonda won.

by Anonymousreply 48February 28, 2023 1:22 AM

[quote] How did a huge billion dollar company get fucked in the ass like this? That’s crazy if they take it.

It's not over til the fat lady screams...in pain. For the first time in his fat life, Rhonda Santis has bit off more than he can chew. This will backfire gloriously and bury any chance he had of being a national political figure.

by Anonymousreply 49February 28, 2023 1:24 AM

It's obvious he hates Disney because he's too obese to get on the rides.

by Anonymousreply 50February 28, 2023 1:27 AM

[quote] Disney can’t leave, there is no move that they could make to outmaneuver DeSantis on this. It is such a bummer and it depresses me, though I hate Disney too.

Disney won't leave, it was there before fat-ass was born it will be there after he drops dead. What he did was all for show, Disney still enjoys favored tax status in Florida. If it didn't, he'd be riding some concrete go-go boots to the bottom of the Atlantic.

by Anonymousreply 51February 28, 2023 1:29 AM

[quote] Disney World would probably have to pay billions to relocate. And how many other states are going to give them such privileges and guarantee it? A new governor can come in and change it.

EVERY FUCKING STATE would fall over itself to give Disney tax-exempt status to bring an economic behemoth to its state. The only thing Florida has got going for it is the weather. And yes, the next FL governor will be an ally to Disney.

by Anonymousreply 52February 28, 2023 1:33 AM

Oh no, poor little R48, this is nowhere near finished yet. Not even close.

Disney will destroy Rhonda, they play harder hardball than you can imagine, so that's something to look forward to.

by Anonymousreply 53February 28, 2023 1:37 AM

Where will poor Florida MAGAts move and vacation, now that Meatball's t-rex armed overreach will cause them to be priced out of their paradise?

Maybe to Alabama, into the fabby arms and droopy bosom of Huckabeast? Turtleville Kentucky? Will they load their covered wagons and set off for the Promised Land of Idaho?

by Anonymousreply 54February 28, 2023 1:37 AM

[quote] Fucking Dego Fatty!!!!!

COME THRU, R29!!!!

by Anonymousreply 55February 28, 2023 1:39 AM

Frankly, he scares me. As vindictive and dangerous or even more so that tRUMP.

by Anonymousreply 56February 28, 2023 1:48 AM

Can we just fast-forward to Rhonda's impending Icarus moment? I want to see him burn in a spectacle worthy of Disney's "Fantasmic!" show finale.

Having a high spot on Bob Iger's shitlist doesn't seem to be a wise choice for anyone with lofty political aspirations.

by Anonymousreply 57February 28, 2023 2:02 AM

DeSantis is a bully. Stand up to fat bullies.

by Anonymousreply 58February 28, 2023 10:15 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 28, 2023 12:25 PM

Maybe if Republicans want media, entertainment , and merchandise to be a certain way, they ought to start their own companies?

Think about it, Cons! Churchland and Journey to Bibleland! GOP themed and vetted movies and TV series! Mass produced plushies of your president Trump carrying a golden cross on his back, his eight pack abs glistening with sweat!

Think of all of the disability checks that you can fleece!

by Anonymousreply 60February 28, 2023 12:36 PM

Disney World is too large to move easily, but Florida's weather is not getting any better, and its prospects in the future thanks to climate change are not great. It would be silly to assume that Disney has not already been thinking about the future of Disney World. I have to wonder if their most recent round of acquisitions weren't made with an eye toward eventually not being able to sustain DW in Florida in a few decades, thus focusing on Disneyland instead, plus the media empire.

by Anonymousreply 61February 28, 2023 12:57 PM

R39, don't forget the Disney Cruise Line operation.

by Anonymousreply 62February 28, 2023 1:06 PM

“Today, the corporate kingdom finally comes to an end,” DeSantis said Monday at a Reedy Creek fire station in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. “There’s a new sheriff in town and accountability will be the order of the day.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63February 28, 2023 1:10 PM

I can just see Rhonda leading the next parade down Disney's Main Street!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 28, 2023 1:32 PM

Disney doesn't care because there are several billion dollars in loans they no longer have to repay. Thanks to DeSantis they revert back to the counties and not Disney. He is not going to fuck with the company that employs more people in Florida than anyone else. It is political theater. Likewise, DeSantis knows Disney is not going to pack up and move. You can bet Disney donations to republicans will drop though and they will quietly fund candidates who are pro disney.

by Anonymousreply 65February 28, 2023 1:38 PM

There was a Holy Land Adventure Park in Orlando near the Millenia mall, It has closed and nothing took it's place until recently. I believe they are turning the land into a hospital park

by Anonymousreply 66February 28, 2023 1:40 PM

Now do religions like scientology and the Catholic Church.

by Anonymousreply 67February 28, 2023 1:44 PM

r67 they didn't come out against the don't say gay bill so he didn't retaliate.

by Anonymousreply 68February 28, 2023 1:49 PM

To what "recent acquisitions" are you referring, R61?

If the sea level rose enough to destroy Walt Disney World in Central Florida, Disneyland in California would also be a goner since it is much closer to the coast.

Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea would already be eliminated, since they are right on the ocean. Those Parks aren't even owned by Disney, however. They do own a significant portion of Hong Kong Disneyland. Hong Kong won't fare well when the sea rises, either. How about Aulani Resort in Hawaii? Gone. Wait...what about Shanghai Disneyland? Oops, "Shanghai" literally means "On the Sea." Buh-bye, too, to Disney's Vero Beach Resort.

That leaves Disneyland Paris and the cruise line as the only Disney Parks and Experiences survivors in such a doomsday scenario. If things get to this point, I don't think any of us will care what happens to some hotels and theme parks.

by Anonymousreply 69February 28, 2023 1:56 PM

I think Disney will have the last laugh here. They’re just letting him wind himself up and do all this performative political stuff and then they’re going to smack him down hard.

What he’s saying he’s done, isn’t really true anyway. Apparently he’s just renamed something and appointed a bunch of conservative cronies to a board that I’m sure can be easily bought off. He’s not actually flexing any muscle here.

I can’t believe he thinks this “anti-woke” platform can be nationalised. He should stay in Florida.

Can’t wait for the start of the GOP circular firing squad to start. They haven’t got a chance in 2024. It’ll be funny when Trump splits the party - at least they won’t be able to claim election fraud.

by Anonymousreply 70February 28, 2023 2:06 PM

[quote] To what "recent acquisitions" are you referring, [R61]?

20th Century Fox. What else would I be referring to?

[quote]Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea would already be eliminated, since they are right on the ocean. Those Parks aren't even owned by Disney, however.

Oh, well, good thing you brought them up, then, since they're entirely irrelevant.

You assumed that I was talking about Florida falling into the sea in a "doomsday scenario." I wasn't. There are massive changes forecast that manifest in rising temperatures and increasing storms, plus Florida historically experiences higher rates of sea level rise than the global average of other coastal areas.

We've already seen buildings collapsing because of the sea level rise; no entire state disappearing into the sea necessary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 28, 2023 2:12 PM

[quote] Florida, step up and start making your vote count.

They do and have. They’re strongly Republican.

by Anonymousreply 72February 28, 2023 2:18 PM

[quote] They do and have. They’re strongly Republican.

It’s good to bring some reality into the picture. It’s unfortunate that there are so many people on DL who are so deeply enclosed in the bubble, they have no idea of the reality outside it.

by Anonymousreply 73February 28, 2023 2:22 PM

[quote] Disney doesn't care because there are several billion dollars in loans they no longer have to repay. Thanks to DeSantis they revert back to the counties and not Disney.

Are you paid to intentionally spread disinformation on DL, or are you a volunteer?

by Anonymousreply 74February 28, 2023 2:27 PM

Frankly Disney should never have been given the autonomy in the first place. This is a political BS since nothing would have been done if Disney's executives had not spoken up publically to oppose the bill.

by Anonymousreply 75February 28, 2023 2:32 PM

I think it made sense at the beginning to have RCID, to get Disney World built. The problem is that there was no sunset provision. It makes no sense today to have Disney control it. Disney benefited from political inertia all these years, because for the most part, there hasn’t been a strong reason to reexamine it until now.

by Anonymousreply 76February 28, 2023 2:44 PM

[quote]The Democratic opposition is weak and not cleaver.

What? I lost my meat cleaver, R36?

And speaking of "Oh, dear!" moments,

[quote] Where will poor Florida MAGAts move and vacation, now that Meatball's t-rex armed overreach will cause them to be priced out of their paradise? Maybe to Alabama, into the fabby arms and droopy bosom of Huckabeast?

She has FLABBY arms, R54, but she is governor or Arkansas.

Do I have to teach you kids everything?

by Anonymousreply 77February 28, 2023 2:52 PM

Sorry -- governor OF Arkansas.

by Anonymousreply 78February 28, 2023 2:53 PM

[quote]Think about it, Cons! Churchland and Journey to Bibleland!

Been there, done that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79February 28, 2023 3:00 PM

r74 it's called news.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80February 28, 2023 4:48 PM

As the state moved against Disney, the district's bond debt quickly became a worry— particularly in Orange and Osceola counties, which the district straddles. That's because the Florida Senate's own financial impact analysis of the bill found that in most cases when a county takes over a special district, it "shall also assume all indebtedness of the preexisting special district."

by Anonymousreply 81February 28, 2023 4:50 PM

You were warned: he will be the next Republican president.

by Anonymousreply 82February 28, 2023 4:54 PM

He has to get through Trump first, R82.

by Anonymousreply 83February 28, 2023 4:55 PM

He looks like he lost weight...getting in shape for 2024.

by Anonymousreply 84February 28, 2023 4:55 PM

Here is what you don't understand r74. Disney governed itself, collected taxes against itself took out bonds for improvement, roads, fire, emergency services, police, fire, and ambulance. All of that now falls under the state and local counties including any debt they had before the takeover. If Disney needed to improve their roads, it did it and paid for it. If they needed to build new highways (including the new entrance off of 4 they are building taking over a huge shopping, and restaurant area) that now becomes the state's burden to pay for and complete. What DeSantis has done is essentially take over everything leading up to the walls of Disney Property including the maint and upkeep of these things a financial burden Disney was only too happy to take on because it let them fix these things at record speed. Now, it all enters the government red tape land. Good luck with that, and the tax burden they just put on the Florida citizens.

by Anonymousreply 85February 28, 2023 4:55 PM

r83 he will. But most likely Trump will run independent and split the Republican vote.

by Anonymousreply 86February 28, 2023 4:58 PM

[quote]The governor also announced his choices for the board: …and Clearwater attorney Brian Aungst.

About Aungst when he was mayor of Clearwater

[quote]Miscavige said in an interview Friday in Clearwater that he welcomed the new mayor's statements and is sure he would be in contact with him by Monday. He said he would invite Aungst for a tour of the church's Clearwater complex and would answer any questions he has about Scientology's practices and its downtown plans. The tour would be a first for an elected official in Clearwater, Miscavige said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87February 28, 2023 5:04 PM

[quote] All of that now falls under the state and local counties including any debt they had before the takeover.

No it doesn’t. You disinformation purveyors are persistent.

by Anonymousreply 88February 28, 2023 5:07 PM

Re: R13

[quote] Sen. Blaise Ingoglia is sponsoring the “Ultimate Cancel Act,” which would eliminate all political parties that once used slavery as part of its platform. While “Democratic Party” isn’t mentioned in the bill, Ingoglia said that’s his target.

[quote] “For years now, leftist activists have been trying to ‘cancel’ people and companies for things they have said or done in the past. This includes the removal of statues and memorials, and the renaming of buildings,” he said. “Using this standard, it would be hypocritical not to cancel the Democratic Party itself for the same reason.”

[quote] The measure (SB 1248) would switch Democratic voters to no-party voters or give them the option of choosing another party. Registered voters of that party would receive notices from the state that their party has been “canceled” and that they’re now no-party voters.

[quote] Ingoglia first appeared on JMG in May 2021 when he introduced an ultimately failed bill that would have banned giving water to people waiting in line to vote. Ingoglia was chair of the Florida GOP from 2015 to 2019

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89February 28, 2023 6:25 PM

why are all these morons trying to outdo each other?

by Anonymousreply 90February 28, 2023 6:34 PM

I can only assume it's because of their tiny dicks, R90. Big dicked guys don't act like this.

by Anonymousreply 91February 28, 2023 6:56 PM

I think the long-term fallout of all of this will be to diminish the GOP in the eyes, and pocketbooks, of their corporate friends. No longer can Republican politicians be seen as a friend of big business with this biting of the hands that fed them for so long.

It is one of the biggest nails in the coffin of the old, business-friendly, country club GOP. While they might convince some high earners to stay on board with their anti-tax stance, most corporations and their executives/shareholders not in the pillow business will be reticent to support a party which seek to punish them for what in reality are empty PR statements against a political culture war.

by Anonymousreply 92February 28, 2023 7:26 PM

[quote] I think the long-term fallout of all of this will be to diminish the GOP in the eyes, and pocketbooks, of their corporate friends.

We’ve already seen that with the huge political realignment of the GOP having become the party of the working class and the Democrats being the party of Wall Street. The GOP is moving away from defending big companies as a result of those companies being aligned philosophically with the Democrats. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future with unions in the private sector, since so many of their rank and file align with the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 93February 28, 2023 7:58 PM

r88 I am sorry if facts hurt your head

As the state moved against Disney, the district's bond debt quickly became a worry— particularly in Orange and Osceola counties, which the district straddles. That's because the Florida Senate's own financial impact analysis of the bill found that in most cases when a county takes over a special district, it "shall also assume all indebtedness of the preexisting special district."

by Anonymousreply 94February 28, 2023 8:57 PM

R93, there has not been a realignment. Trump's unrelenting appeal to uneducated white racists gives that impression.

by Anonymousreply 95February 28, 2023 9:20 PM

[quote]That's because the Florida Senate's own financial impact analysis of the bill found that in most cases when a county takes over a special district, it "shall also assume all indebtedness of the preexisting special district."

As you know, with the bill that DeSantis signed the counties are not taking over the special district, so you again are deliberately pushing disinformation.

by Anonymousreply 96March 1, 2023 12:39 AM

this man needs to be stopped. he will be worse than Trump as president.

by Anonymousreply 97March 1, 2023 12:46 AM

R93, most people who make over $100,000 a year voted for Trump, not Biden

The GOP supports tax breaks for the wealthy and big business

They don't have a problem with big businesses just the ones with views that they don't like

by Anonymousreply 98March 1, 2023 1:12 AM

Appointed some "Moms For Liberty" homophobe to a special board to govern Disney

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 1, 2023 1:16 AM

R96 thank you. R94 keeps posting outdated articles, not reflecting the actual outcome.

R94 know this: the name changed, but the District boundaries did not. The outstanding debt is secured by taxes collected within the District, and that did not change. The same limited tax source for bonded indebtedness existed before and after this act became law. It was Disney then, and it is Disney now.

You’re clearly not a lawyer, financial advisor or underwriter, or any other function with a passing knowledge of state and local government finance.

by Anonymousreply 100March 1, 2023 1:17 AM

Keep making rules and screaming “Freedom!”

by Anonymousreply 101March 1, 2023 1:22 AM

Can't Disney World just pack up and move to Georgia? That state deserves to be rewarded for being an island of sanity surrounded by red.

by Anonymousreply 102March 1, 2023 1:24 AM

They have 30 resorts, 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, and 1 shopping/entertainment district.

They'll have to find another way. Bribing them?

by Anonymousreply 103March 1, 2023 1:33 AM

Trump was an asshole

DeSantis is a dictator

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104March 1, 2023 12:44 PM

DeSantis = Meatball Mussolini

by Anonymousreply 105March 1, 2023 1:20 PM

r100 You seem to think Disney will just accept that. "You keep paying your bonds and taxes but I put these nazis in charge of Reedy Creek not you." Let me get my crystal ball for you and tell you how well that is going to work out.

by Anonymousreply 106March 1, 2023 2:34 PM

Doucheolini.

by Anonymousreply 107March 1, 2023 2:40 PM

I don’t need a crystal ball. I do bond financing for these special districts every day —there are hundreds of them in Florida. You own land in the district, you pay the tax securing the bonds…end of story. If Disney did not pay, its credit rating would take a hit, and there would be extraordinary tax liens placed on Disney-owned parcels. You don’t have any idea what you’re talking about.

by Anonymousreply 108March 1, 2023 3:04 PM

Now Desantis says he’s going to make Disney produce the kind of movies he wants to see. Will Disney fight back?

by Anonymousreply 109March 1, 2023 3:13 PM

r108, she knows she's lying and she doesn't care about getting caught, because a troll like her has only the aim of sowing some confusion by posting disinformation.

by Anonymousreply 110March 1, 2023 3:14 PM

Good luck getting any of the creatives or executives to move to Florida now. I have one friend who already left for another studio.

No one wants to leave CA for strip mall Orlando.

by Anonymousreply 111March 1, 2023 7:20 PM

[quote]Can't Disney World just pack up and move to Georgia? That state deserves to be rewarded for being an island of sanity surrounded by red.

Georgia? The state that gives people a tax deduction for a FETUS?

by Anonymousreply 112March 1, 2023 10:16 PM

So, in other words, Disney had this special status based on plans it had 50 years ago that never materialized. And now that their special status has been taken away by Desatan, they no longer incur costs that taxpayers normally cover? So taxpayers will now incur these Disney costs in addition? Does that sound like Disney actually lost? Their board members and shareholders are probably laughing their asses off. And now they also don’t have to worry about getting sucked into playing sides on these ridiculous culture wars.

by Anonymousreply 113March 1, 2023 10:30 PM

I am sure they are planning their exit.

by Anonymousreply 114March 1, 2023 10:46 PM

What about healthcare disparities in FLA. what about preparing for the consequences of climate change? He could not care less or even have on his Rafaela the quality of life and basic wellbeing of FLA citizens.

by Anonymousreply 115March 1, 2023 10:53 PM

[quote] Good luck getting any of the creatives or executives to move to Florida now. I have one friend who already left for another studio.

Yes, Disney has become not a good a company to work for. We’ll see if Iger or his successor can turn it around and fix the mistakes that Chapek made.

by Anonymousreply 116March 2, 2023 12:45 AM

r108 r110 - What DeSatan said was that the law will dissolve the Reddy Creek district and create a new governing district. DeSatan has promised the new district will assume the debt burden and it will not pass to counties. If you work with Bonds for a living you would know they were issued by Reddy Creek not Disney. Reedy Creek’s bond offerings very much rely on the district’s unique powers. Its property-tax-based bonds discuss that the district can tax up to 30 mills and promise to tax at a rate high enough to pay the bonds. Its utility revenue bonds discuss the district’s various powers to generate utility revenue and promise to fix fees and charges sufficient to generate sufficient revenue to pay the bonds.

By dissolving Reedy Creek, the legislature essentially rewrote the promises made in the district’s bond offerings. Instead of bonds backed by a special district with the power to levy up to 30 mills in taxes, that is now uncertain.

the U.S. Supreme Court held that once a local government issues a bond based on an authorized taxing power, the state is contract-bound and cannot eliminate the taxing power supporting the bond. The Florida Constitution provides even greater protection from the impairment of contracts.

Florida simply cannot promise prospective bondholders that it won’t interfere with Reedy Creek, and then dissolve Reedy Creek.

by Anonymousreply 117March 2, 2023 1:50 AM

[quote}By dissolving Reedy Creek,

I hope people reading this thread can see that the troll r117 continues to deliberately post things that are factually untrue, certainly on this thread, maybe on others.

Here is the link to the bill that DeSantis signed. Please see the last page, page 191, and read the following: "the Reedy Creek Improvement District is not dissolved as of June 1, 2023, but continues in full force and effect under its new name."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118March 2, 2023 3:25 AM

[quote] They should move to Arizona or another warm climate state. I am sure they would beg for them to set up shop

Great idea, Rose. Move it just one state over from Disneyland.

by Anonymousreply 119March 2, 2023 6:36 AM

Florida is toxic.

by Anonymousreply 120March 2, 2023 8:55 AM

Here is the notice filed by Reedy Creek through EMMA, the MSRB’s official repository for disclosure related to muni securities…now shut the fuck up with your ignorance:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121March 2, 2023 9:45 AM

R117 is a bad chat bot trying to pass as a public finance lawyer…but he’s too stupid to know what the right question is….

by Anonymousreply 122March 2, 2023 9:50 AM

This man has to have the tiniest dick ever.

This is full on, “tiniest dick in the world” pathology on full display for all to see.

What a weak, little man.

Hopefully, the rest of Americans aren’t as dumb as Florida and keep him out of the White House.

by Anonymousreply 123March 2, 2023 10:59 AM

DeSantis is more petty than Trump. He is just as vindictive. Both may be under Putin’s wing.

by Anonymousreply 124March 2, 2023 4:54 PM

Just what powers does this "governing board" actually have over Disney in Florida? What can they do?

by Anonymousreply 125March 2, 2023 5:31 PM

R125 just read the links…but not from the I-know-nothing troll.

Short-ish answer: a typical district like this is established by a vote of landowners within the proposed boundaries—it is a standard method for developers planning to build. out raw land. If it is a single landowner within the boundaries, as in Disney’s case re REEDY CREEK, then it “votes” to create the District and the elects the Board—in essence the property owner controls all governing aspects. The new law took away Disney’s right as the single landowner to elect the Board and limits certain other actions. That is it…

P.S. Similar districts exist everywhere. In residential development, as lots are sold off to individuals, etc. then the voting power spreads across that larger group of property owners. In some cases the original developers try to assert more power over the rest of the property owners…that’s been an issue for The Villages, which is part of multiple districts. If DeSantis really cared about the “abuse” of these districts, he would go after the big developers using power moves over the subsequent buyers of homes (retirees, Trumpers…)

by Anonymousreply 126March 2, 2023 5:44 PM

An analogy. Simplistic as it is:: you live in a huge condo complex. First built in 1968. The current mayor hates people in your neighborhood, so the City Council adopts an ordinance regulating condo board elections and governance only for HOAs established before1969.

by Anonymousreply 127March 2, 2023 5:54 PM

Anyone who lives in planned developments, whether in FL, TX, CA, CO…will get the gist. In Texas you’ll see a Muni Utility District levy on your property tax bill, in California you’ll see a Mello-Roos District special tax levy, in CO you’ll see a Metro District …and so on. All of these entities are designed to facilitate infrastructure build-out within defined development districts, which shifts the general financing burden away from the city or county in which the district is located.

by Anonymousreply 128March 2, 2023 6:44 PM

^Disney, so long as it controlled REEDY CREEK IMPRV DIST, had more rights and powers—beyond a typical residential developer/district landowner—pursuant to the original state law…now over and out.

by Anonymousreply 129March 2, 2023 6:50 PM

A big nothing burger is what this is.

by Anonymousreply 130March 2, 2023 8:53 PM

Boxing celebrities in is the new swatting

by Anonymousreply 131March 2, 2023 8:56 PM

^ oops 😬 that was for the Affleck thread

by Anonymousreply 132March 2, 2023 8:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133March 3, 2023 3:56 AM

The Ivy League must like turning out these fascist-minded piglets craving power.

by Anonymousreply 134March 3, 2023 7:35 AM

I like classic Disney animation and live action movies as much as anyone. The theme parks? Tacky, overpriced and kind of fascist, or at least hyper controlling. I've never seen the "magic".

by Anonymousreply 135March 3, 2023 7:42 AM

r135 you never blew a guy in a goofy mask in the tunnels under Disney then.

by Anonymousreply 136March 3, 2023 6:47 PM

Not The Onion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137March 3, 2023 9:14 PM

[quote]you never blew a guy in a goofy mask in the tunnels under Disney then.

Like Rose did?

by Anonymousreply 138March 4, 2023 12:43 AM

R137, that guy should hope the water makes people blind because that's the only way he's getting laid.

by Anonymousreply 139March 4, 2023 12:55 AM

I’d rim Goofy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140March 4, 2023 12:57 AM

r140 wrong thread I think you want the analingus thread/

by Anonymousreply 141March 4, 2023 2:04 AM

“I didn’t say she was crazy! I said she was fucking Goofy!”

by Anonymousreply 142March 5, 2023 11:24 AM

[quote] The bill that would grant Florida the power to seize trans-identifying children receiving or likely to receive treatment for gender dysphoria is sponsored by Republican state senator Clay Yarborough, who is a follower of Christ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143March 5, 2023 9:45 PM

Undefeated SEC Women’s Champions

South Carolina Gamecocks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 5, 2023 10:58 PM

^oh geez, wrong social media site. Good info anyway.

by Anonymousreply 145March 5, 2023 11:12 PM

[quote]Note that this Florida bill promising to seize kids from their parents

Wow, taking children into protective custody when they are abused or endangered is unheard of.

by Anonymousreply 146March 6, 2023 2:32 AM

It's time for Disney to stomp on this large insect.

by Anonymousreply 147March 6, 2023 2:38 AM

If DeSantis runs for prez does he have to step down as governor?

by Anonymousreply 148March 6, 2023 2:44 AM

Everyone from states other than Florida must express their displeasure for this "man".

by Anonymousreply 149March 6, 2023 3:12 AM

[quote]Everyone from states other than Florida must express their displeasure for this "man".

If you think that is going to happen, it's easy to predict that you are going to be disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 150March 6, 2023 3:52 AM

[quote] A parents' rights activist, a Christian nationalist and three lawyer donors now have control over Walt Disney World's development capabilities, thanks to a bill signed by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151March 7, 2023 11:09 AM

R150 yeah, many Americans are starting to despise Disney for being 'un-American' and 'woke' and 'elitist.'

DeSantis taking on the Big Mouse is doing him favors à la David and Goliath.

by Anonymousreply 152March 7, 2023 11:39 AM

No, R152, it really isn't doing him any favors outside of social media where people like you translate that into actual votes. It is this type of overreach and insanity on the part of the right that doesn't actually go over well at the ballot box...which is why that "red wave" people like you shrieked about, never actually happened.

THIS is not the real world. Maybe go "touch grass" as they say on the "internets." The bullshit he's pulling only works with complete idiots and psychos who've magnified the trans issue to the point that they think people in the real world base their vote on that one issue. For women, transwomen is not their biggest concern. Telling them they can't even get to decide things over their own lives, telling them that if they get raped and pregnant, they have to go through with it, telling people what they can read or teach, is far more concerning. His fascism may work in the shithole swamp and people like you may try to normalize his anti-American ideology, but he's not winning purple states with that horseshit. Frankly, you're not getting it that the very reason Republican states have created hundreds of voter suppression laws is specifically because this fascist idiocy doesn't work with normal voters. They can't win unless people can't vote or the GOP invalidates their votes. You think him arresting people for "voter fraud" when they didn't even know they weren't allowed to vote since the STATE let them register, looks good? You think it looks good that we never saw video of arrests in the *actual* voter fraud situations in his state? The Villages...where they vote for shits like him and Trump.

Even that disgusting pos Newt Gingrich has stated that DeSantis has gone too far. DeSantis is not an American. He's fascist trash.

by Anonymousreply 153March 7, 2023 12:50 PM

People think this board will have decision-making power over what Disney does or does not do in it's park. They don't I read some article that they will bring splash mountain back, lol.

by Anonymousreply 154March 7, 2023 4:53 PM

[quote]They don't I read some article that they will bring splash mountain back, lol.

Home-schooled, r154?

by Anonymousreply 155March 7, 2023 4:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156March 7, 2023 5:20 PM

He hasn't taken over Disney. Damn fools!

He's taken over a single special-purpose infrastructure district underneath a single Disney property. He has no creative or financial control over the Disney corporation.

by Anonymousreply 157March 7, 2023 5:22 PM

He's clearly running, because he looks like he lost weight.

by Anonymousreply 158March 7, 2023 11:52 PM

Her outfit is ridiculous: cut, color and gloves are for 💩

by Anonymousreply 159March 7, 2023 11:58 PM

I worked in Disney World in the late 90s. I was one of the Aladdins that operated the Magic Carpet Ride.

One day I was joking around with some guests and I accidentally said "Jazlyn" instead of "Jasmine". Nobody seemed to notice and there were no other employees around at the time.

The next morning I got to work and was greeted by two huge guys in black suits and sunglasses. They said "The Mouse wants a word with you".

They took me out of the park to a high rise I'd never seen and to the top floor, and there he was, sitting behind a desk. And he said to me (in a very high pitched tone) "Seems like we had a little problem yesterday. That can't happen in our parks. Ever"

And the next thing I know I was sent to 6 weeks of whistling classes, given a white jumpsuit and a broom and I had to go around the park sweeping up little bits of trash and paper while whistling Chim Chim Cher-ee and having to tell guests corny jokes.

I probably shouldn't even be posting this here. That mouse doesn't fuck around. I wouldn't want to be DeSantis right now.

by Anonymousreply 160March 8, 2023 12:31 AM

People will still go as long as it looks the same and the experience is the same.

by Anonymousreply 161March 8, 2023 12:33 AM

R160– Greg could empathize…Succession Greg, not DL “Greg.”

by Anonymousreply 162March 8, 2023 12:53 AM

Disney-like hell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163March 8, 2023 12:54 AM

[quote]while whistling Chim Chim Cher-ee and having to tell guests corny jokes.

Wouldn't Whistle While You Work be more appropriate, r160?

by Anonymousreply 164March 8, 2023 1:31 AM

People do not fuck with the Mouse and get away with it. Surely people in Florida of all places should understand that. What goes around, comes around.

by Anonymousreply 165March 8, 2023 1:42 AM

[quote]Wouldn't Whistle While You Work be more appropriate, [R160]?

NOOOO! Absolutely not! The Mouse is very clear when you get "brought on" you're not "working", you're doing it because "it's fun." Nobody "works" at Disney.

by Anonymousreply 166March 8, 2023 2:35 AM

R158 Is he fuckable again?

by Anonymousreply 167March 8, 2023 2:40 AM

You're asking the wrong person, R167. I never found him fuckable.

by Anonymousreply 168March 8, 2023 2:47 AM

[quote]Nobody "works" at Disney.

Those seven height-challenged gentlemen beg to differ, r166.

by Anonymousreply 169March 8, 2023 2:48 AM

They're the one exception to the rule, r169 and the Mouse has been trying to get rid of them forever. He was in a particularly foul mood one day and he heard Sneezy sniffle and he screamed at him "see a fucking allergist, you 3 foot nothing bastard!" I saw it.

I've definitely said too much.

by Anonymousreply 170March 8, 2023 3:10 AM

[quote]I worked in Disney World in the late 90s. I was one of the Aladdins that operated the Magic Carpet Ride.

Aladdin doesn't work as an operator of the Magic Carpets of Aladdin. The story kind of fizzled there with that statement.

by Anonymousreply 171March 8, 2023 3:41 AM

[quote]Aladdin doesn't work as an operator of the Magic Carpets of Aladdin. The story kind of fizzled there with that statement.

Did you make it to the part of the story where they dragged me into Mickey's office and he personally demoted me to the janitorial crew? Because that part was 100% true!

by Anonymousreply 172March 8, 2023 3:55 AM

I still would love to see DeSantis in a tight shirt flex his biceps and let me touch them.

by Anonymousreply 173March 8, 2023 4:02 AM

As much as I despise and hate trump, DeSantis would be worse.

by Anonymousreply 174March 8, 2023 4:52 AM

Universal is better. Disney made its bed by giving tons of money to this guy.

by Anonymousreply 175March 8, 2023 6:54 AM

[quote] Greg could empathize…Succession Greg, not DL “Greg.”

Thank you for clarifying that, R162, as I am fresh out of empathy.

by Anonymousreply 176March 8, 2023 10:54 AM

Whistle while you work

Hitler is a jerk

Mussolini bit his weenie

Now it doesn't work!

by Anonymousreply 177March 8, 2023 1:51 PM

He didn't take over Disney. He took over the district around Disneyworld and has no power over Disney itself.

by Anonymousreply 178March 10, 2023 1:11 PM

I grew up in Central Florida and people were not happy that Disney was allowed to create their own government. That was a demand Disney made and the state - thrilled that Disney was there - was willing to give them anything they wanted. The locals including the state leaders were probably cowed by Disney people and lawyers - maybe even bought off in some ways. It was also a very undeveloped and really rural area at that time and the state probably figured let them handle and pay for their own issues.

I think that being their own government may have allowed them to get away with winning lawsuits by visitors for injuries and such - they were able to control situations and evidence. It was many decades before they lost their first case in a court.

I have no problem with them losing their government status. I suspect they were amazed they got away with it so long. Is DisneyLand its own government? No.

by Anonymousreply 179March 10, 2023 1:25 PM

Your first and third points are well-taken. Your second point is incorrect—the existence of the RCID did not and would not have any bearing on a criminal case or litigation resulting from an action inside the Disney parks.

by Anonymousreply 180March 10, 2023 1:41 PM

He has trimmed down considerably in recent days. He's on a book tour and looks thinner.

by Anonymousreply 181March 10, 2023 1:55 PM

I haven’t investigated this too carefully, but does this mean Florida is now financially responsible for the district?

by Anonymousreply 182March 10, 2023 2:52 PM

Considering how much God damned money Disney brings into that shithole, I'm not surprised they were given the power they were given. And don't compare it to CA. CA actually has industries beyond Disney. They could survive without it. I know Disney has issues, but in the battle of two evils, I'll take Disney's side. Florida is a shit state dependent on tourism for its survival. It's not like NY or CA where they actually have huge economies even without tourists.

by Anonymousreply 183March 10, 2023 3:01 PM

Will Lady Lindzebelle give-up Trump and bond with DeSantis? Somehow all the wives step back when Lady Lindzebelle embraces their husbands.

by Anonymousreply 184March 10, 2023 3:16 PM

“I didn’t hear anything about the team doctor messing with my wrestling team’s tallywhackers” Jim Jordan, has turned his weaponization panel into a dud.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185March 10, 2023 3:31 PM

^not right thread, oops

by Anonymousreply 186March 10, 2023 3:33 PM

[quote] the existence of the RCID did not and would not have any bearing on a criminal case or litigation resulting from an action inside the Disney parks.

I was talking about the fact that Disney were the ones that initially investigated incidents at the park, interviewing witnesses, getting them to make statements, collecting or recording evidence. That could very well have a bearing on civil cases and possibly criminal cases as well. Even the fact they were the ones collecting the contact info from witnesses could scupper a civil case.

by Anonymousreply 187March 10, 2023 8:22 PM

^sure 187, but that’s not the context of the discussion or your original comment. What you’re describing is irrelevant to how the District worked before and how it works now….the concern you have is no different than any resort owner, hotel owner, etc. it’s not a Disney thing.

by Anonymousreply 188March 11, 2023 1:14 AM

I don't know why people were upset Disney was allowed to govern itself. They taxed themselves and a rate 3 x higher than anywhere in Florida 30 mils on the property and collected against themselves.

by Anonymousreply 189March 12, 2023 2:26 AM

Disney's parks are packed right now. If Rhonda intended to damage Disney, it isn't working.

by Anonymousreply 190March 14, 2023 2:47 AM

[quote]I personally know a family affected by this who blessedly only began then stopped the puberty blocker madness. Once through puberty the dysphoric boy completely moved on from his earlier trauma and is now a gay guy serving in the Navy!

That's great! It proves the process works. The boy was expressing dysphoria and was put on puberty blockers to give him time to make his own decision and they stopped the transition and he was able to proceed through male puberty because he decided he wasn't trans. That's exactly what the medical community supporting affirming care wants. Young patients to have the opportunity to decide what their gender identify is. This is a wonderful story and I'll share it with everyone I know who is concerned about transgender kids that the system worked and a child who formerly expressed that they were trans wasn't and stopped the process before it went further.

Thanks for sharing!

by Anonymousreply 191March 17, 2023 8:11 AM

R191 Yes, how wonderful that a perfectly healthy boy was injected completely unnecessarily with Leuprorelin. Let's just HOPE it hasn't caused him unnecessary harm in the future.

by Anonymousreply 192March 17, 2023 5:36 PM

Disney outplayed him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193March 30, 2023 2:48 PM

In wrestling, it’s called a pile drive

by Anonymousreply 194March 30, 2023 3:45 PM

DeSantis is going to fizzle out. He's already really shitty at this. Even that dumb tweet about Trump showed how totally unprepared he is for center stage.

by Anonymousreply 195March 31, 2023 7:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!