Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Non-GMO Seeds

I get lots of emails touting non-GMO seeds for sale. And I see seeds for sale in shops with big banners on top; NON GMO.

You know you’re not allowed to buy GMO seeds, right?

There are currently no genetically modified garden seeds available for sale to the general public.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 5, 2023 7:45 PM

Aren't seedless watermelon GMOs? I am pretty sure there are several types of tomato seeds for sale that have been modified and bred. I thought when they sold Non-gmo seeds it mean in essence you would be able to collect the future seeds from your plant and reseed. I think "gmo" seeds are usually for plants that cannot reproduce.

by Anonymousreply 1February 26, 2023 8:42 PM

I had seen the non-GMO seeds a few times and thought the same thing. However l do look for organic seeds especially for vegetables or edible plants and plant them in organic soil plant.

by Anonymousreply 2February 26, 2023 8:49 PM

First of all, the phrase "non-GMO seeds" is redundant.

by Anonymousreply 3February 26, 2023 8:51 PM

It’s not my phrase. It’s the industry’s phrase. In a few years they will be called GE - genetically engineered. But right now, it’s still GMO

by Anonymousreply 4February 26, 2023 9:41 PM

But do they contain gluten?

by Anonymousreply 5February 26, 2023 9:47 PM

r4 Oh, I know. It's the industry I was calling out, there.

by Anonymousreply 6February 26, 2023 9:50 PM

It's insidious.

GMO seeds do not germinate. You need to buy them from the company every season in order to plant them. You cannot save a few seeds from your harvest to plant the next season.

by Anonymousreply 7March 5, 2023 7:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!