Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Film & TV locations you've always wanted to visit

Have you ever seen a film or TV location which you really wanted to visit? Did you visit the location?

I always wanted to visit the beach where Lost was filmed on Oahu Island.

by Anonymousreply 81March 8, 2023 1:15 AM

The Emerald City. Then gutted to find out it wasn't even a set, just some mattes.

by Anonymousreply 1February 26, 2023 1:50 AM

Venice in The Comfort of Strangers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 26, 2023 1:57 AM

I forgot to add that I made it to the island camp film location for "The Beach" which is Maya Bay in Thailand. It was fucking amazing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 26, 2023 2:11 AM

S1 of Outlander got me interested in the Scottish Highlands. I’m hoping to plan a trip there this fall.

by Anonymousreply 4February 26, 2023 2:38 AM

That sounds awesome R4! Those are some beautiful locations.

by Anonymousreply 5February 26, 2023 2:44 AM

I've always wanted to go to Martha's Vineyard and see places where they filmed my all-time favorite movie Jaws. According to this page Roy Scheider's house is completely different looking now but a lot of it still looks the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 2, 2023 1:11 PM

^I didn't see RS, but I did go out to Chappaquiddick where the beach scenes were staged and also saw "the" bridge - which leaves little doubt that Kennedy was just drunk/impaired & bailed when he drove off that bridge.

I went to Scotland a couple of years ago & practically every Highland tourist was there because of Outlander. Not there's anything wrong with that, but if I'd spend more time in Glasgow & exploring the other island than Skye, which is also overrun with tourists.

by Anonymousreply 7March 2, 2023 1:29 PM

All the BBC British Regency dramas are set in Cornwall, Devon, and Dorset.

The coasts look lovely.

I've been to many other parts of England, but I'd like to see the SW.

by Anonymousreply 8March 2, 2023 2:06 PM

^Me too; even though it kind of sucked, the recent remake of Jamaica Inn was set in Cornwall, I think & it was just so gray & beautiful. It makes you want to go & just wander around the moors

by Anonymousreply 9March 2, 2023 2:57 PM

Aren't The Moors in the North of England?

by Anonymousreply 10March 2, 2023 3:00 PM

The sunset blvd house but it was razed years ago.

The boogie nights pool party house.

The player party house

Basically all the LA onscreen party houses

by Anonymousreply 11March 2, 2023 3:04 PM

I'd like to AirBnB in Cherry Jones's house in "Poker Face"

by Anonymousreply 12March 2, 2023 3:49 PM

r7, what time of year were you there? I was thinking about October. Mostly a golf trip but still deciding if it would be better to plan on my own or get a package tour. I figure Outlander's popularity has peaked and most people will have wrapped up holidays by September, The Highlands can get quite chilly in October.

by Anonymousreply 13March 2, 2023 5:42 PM

When I saw Vin Diesel's XXX in the theater I had no idea about Prague. The location stole the show. I finally visited many years later and it is indeed fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 14March 2, 2023 6:19 PM

The house in The Long Goodbye on Malibu Colony Road ignited an interest in Los Angeles I had never felt before, growing up in New Jersey, then being a college student in DC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 2, 2023 6:20 PM

I went to Filoli, where they shot the pilot and exteriors for Dynasty. I also saw Highclere Castle, which was Downton Abbey. The cool thing about Highclere is it looks like Downton inside, too. Basically, they used a lot of their furniture.

by Anonymousreply 16March 2, 2023 6:22 PM

I always wanted to do the Sound of Music Salzburg tour but could never find anyone willing to go with me.

by Anonymousreply 17March 2, 2023 6:29 PM

The place where Doc Martin was filmed.

The house in An Affair to Remember.

by Anonymousreply 18March 2, 2023 6:34 PM

I now live about 90 minutes from Pasadena, and if I can get there on a lazy Sunday, I'll look for the house where the exteriors for "Family" were filmed.

Just make sure that heifer Kate Lawrence doesn't run after me with a rolling pin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 2, 2023 6:37 PM

I forgot I also saw Seabiscuit's stable in Greenwich Village.

by Anonymousreply 20March 2, 2023 6:43 PM

[quote][R7], what time of year were you there? I was thinking about October. Mostly a golf trip but still deciding if it would be better to plan on my own or get a package tour. I figure Outlander's popularity has peaked and most people will have wrapped up holidays by September, The Highlands can get quite chilly in October.

I went in late April/early May. It was a bit chilly, but there weren't a lot of tourists. It was a great time to go - after travel to a National Park in August, I'll never travel again during peak tourist season.

by Anonymousreply 21March 2, 2023 6:45 PM

Falcon Crest - forget the name of the actual winery and then I would recreate scenes impersonating all my favorite characters - Angela, Lance, Richard, Melissa but not either Vicky and of course do the Maggie Twirl

by Anonymousreply 22March 2, 2023 6:47 PM

I spent an entire (glorious) day at Castle Howard, where Brideshead was filmed. Also, there was a scene in Maurice where Maurice is at Oxford and uses a stone pillar as a pretend person to practice introducing himself. I went to that little walkway with all the columns (Christ Church?).

by Anonymousreply 23March 2, 2023 7:21 PM

I’ve always wanted to go to Benidorm and see just how trashy it is.

I’d also love to go to Weston-super-Mare where they filmed The Cafe but the actual cafe isn’t there any longer.

by Anonymousreply 24March 2, 2023 7:29 PM

I've never been to Me.

by Anonymousreply 25March 2, 2023 8:15 PM

Forrest Gump.

by Anonymousreply 26March 2, 2023 8:19 PM

R22, yes, we remember that visit vividly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 2, 2023 8:20 PM

Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. Though the Disney World one was close.

The house in The Impossible Years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 2, 2023 8:35 PM

There’s moors in the south of England, Dartmoor or Exmoor, something like that.

I want to go to the huge parkland where they film all the exterior scenes in historical movies because it’s all woods and dirt tracks. There’s a big obelisk in the center. It’s privately owned but open to visitors. I always forget the name. Somewhere in the south/southwest-ish part of England.

by Anonymousreply 29March 2, 2023 10:18 PM

I'm a yuuuge fan of Latvian movies so last year when I happened to be in the region I visited Lielstraupe Castle, where one of my favorite movies called "THE SWAMP WADER" was filmed (starring the sexy Uldis Pucitis aka the Latvian Harrison Ford). It turned out to be a pretty charmless (and slightly spooky) place, probably because there was no young Uldis running around shirtless...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 3, 2023 12:43 AM

I visited Fort La Latte in Brittany and later saw the Kirk Douglas movie The Vikings that was filmed there. It was exactly like an the movie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 3, 2023 3:53 AM

I worked as a Stand-In on a TV show a few years ago that shot on a stage behind the Clock Tower at Universal Studios

I would sometimes show up early in the morning and walk all over the backlot before the sun was up with no one around.

Standing in the diner where they shot Back to the Future and walking all around the Munsters, Leave it to Beaver and the Best Little Whorehouse in Texas houses blew my mind on a daily basis and it still is one of the most unique experiences of my life

by Anonymousreply 32March 3, 2023 4:05 AM

I loved the house in the original The Parent Trap.

by Anonymousreply 33March 3, 2023 4:23 AM

Venice. Summertime with Katharine Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 34March 3, 2023 7:28 AM

I roadtripped from Sydney to Broken Hill and spent the night in Mario's Palace Hotel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 3, 2023 7:34 AM

I’d like to kill two birds with one stone, and take a ride on the Prater Ferris wheel, site of two of the more memorable scenes from “The Third Man” (1949) & “Before Sunrise” (1995).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 3, 2023 7:35 AM

Hollywood on the Tiber -- the Rome of films of the 1950s and 1960s.

NYC late 1950s -- of Bell, Book & Candle with the Zodiac Club as gay bar, Kim Novak's shop and apartment above it, and James Stewart's book-lined office; and North by Northwest, when the Plaza was still the Plaza, a drive in Laura's Mercedes out to Old Westbury Gardens for cocktails (but not in the library, and with a taxi home), the seas of yellow cabs, the auction gallery, the Sioux City restaurant with the staged shooting, and the pre-AMTRAK trains and train station.

The Paris (and vicinity) of Luis Buñuel's The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972) and That Obscure Object of Desire (1977, with some Seville thrown into the works), not so different physically, but in the company of Buñuel and Fernando Rey.

Except Sioux City and some of the Paris outskirts locations, I know all of these places well in the present, I've added to OP's topic a time machine aspect to see a place in the time it was chosen as a location.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 3, 2023 8:23 AM

I did a personal tour in San Francisco of most of the locations for Vertigo. The final tower scene was originally way out of town in the movie, but is now in a suburban street. A huge buzz for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 3, 2023 8:54 AM

The mansion in Barry Lyndon

The Bodega Bay of The Birds

The Ekdahl home, decorated for Christmas, in Fanny and Alexander

Nightmare Before Christmas' Halloweentown

by Anonymousreply 39March 3, 2023 10:28 AM

I love the look of Bell Book and Candle too r33. Also the artist/fiancé Merle’s apartment. All sets though except the Flatiron Building. (The roof scene was a set too).

by Anonymousreply 40March 3, 2023 11:04 AM

I always wanted to go to the place that the famous 60's series The Prisoner was shot in, its called Portmeirion and its in South Wales.

Did get to it a few years ago, unfortunately it was pissing down when I got there

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 3, 2023 3:12 PM

The The Filoli estate - the mansion in the aerial shots of the opening credits of 'Dynasty'. I had read that Aarron Spelling had re-created many of the 48 rooms and the foyer on the ABC set to replicate the original mansion. The mansion is owned by Filoli.org and is open to the public for tours.

by Anonymousreply 42March 3, 2023 3:48 PM

The Golden Girls house!

by Anonymousreply 43March 3, 2023 4:55 PM

I've been to the set of the Robin Williams Popeye movie in Malta, It is a dump (I knew it was before I went). In fact it's so bad it's funny (funnier than the movie), possibly the worst example of how to manage a tourist attraction ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 3, 2023 5:18 PM

Everytime I go to LA I tell myself I'm going to see the Six Feet Under house and Paddy's Pub. I haven't managed it yet.

by Anonymousreply 45March 3, 2023 6:07 PM

R41 have you seen the AMC reboot from 2009 with Ian McKellen? It's pretty great.

by Anonymousreply 46March 3, 2023 6:10 PM

Cabot Cove. If I ever go to the US, that's the first place I'll visit. Followed by Stars Hollow, which is in the neighbouring state, then capping the visit with Sunnydale.

by Anonymousreply 47March 3, 2023 6:15 PM

When I was a 14 year old baby gay I desperately wanted to go to the Bonaventure Hotel in LA to re-create the opening to It’s a Living.

by Anonymousreply 48March 3, 2023 6:21 PM

Warner Brothers Ranch where Gidget, Bewitched and Partridge Family (among others) exteriors were filmed.

Stars Hollow town square from Gilmore Girls.

by Anonymousreply 49March 3, 2023 6:42 PM

R47 Sorry to disappoint you, but Cabot Cove is in Maine, while Stars Hollow is in Connecticut. They are not neigboring states.

by Anonymousreply 50March 3, 2023 7:23 PM

St. Francis Academy in THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 3, 2023 7:52 PM

As a nerd, I would like to visit all the UK quarries used in filming classic Doctor Who. Unlike the rest of the country, they haven't changed for the worse.

by Anonymousreply 52March 3, 2023 7:56 PM

[quote]R47 Sorry to disappoint you, but Cabot Cove is in Maine, while Stars Hollow is in Connecticut. They are not neigboring states.

Sorry to disappoint you, R50 (and maybe R47), but Cabot Cove may have been set in Maine but it was filmed in Mendocino, California.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 3, 2023 7:57 PM

R48 I understand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 3, 2023 8:00 PM

I would love to go see the Four Seasons in Taormina they used in The White Lotus--Sicily this season.

by Anonymousreply 55March 3, 2023 8:02 PM

I tried posting this earlier but didn't potst, so here goes another try.

The mansion in "I Am Love" starring Tilda Swinton looks spectacular on film and I would love to be able to see it in real life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 3, 2023 8:32 PM

R48, maybe this will fill the void until you get out to LA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 3, 2023 10:13 PM

I watched Poldark on PBS Masterpiece a few years back and have been longing to visit Cornwall ever since.

by Anonymousreply 58March 3, 2023 10:18 PM

Stars Hollow was filmed on location in Toronto for the pilot episode, but every other Stars Hollow scene was shot on the Warner Brothers backlot.

Lorelei Gilmore's house is the same house James Dean lived in East of Eden

by Anonymousreply 59March 3, 2023 11:16 PM

As a kid in 1982 my family went to South Fork from Dallas. Disappointed I didn't see Sue Ellen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60March 3, 2023 11:32 PM

Bedrock

by Anonymousreply 61March 4, 2023 12:17 AM

R60 I grew up in a much bigger house than that. I was surprised that they used that to convey great wealth.

by Anonymousreply 62March 4, 2023 12:44 AM

R46 wasnt aware there was a remake, will have to look out for that

by Anonymousreply 63March 7, 2023 9:40 AM

[quote] have been longing to visit Cornwall

If you do hire an interpreter to accompany you

Doesn't antibody intend to see Captain Kirk's rocks ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 7, 2023 10:20 AM

Cortina d’Ampezzo after seeing it in the original Pink Panther.

by Anonymousreply 65March 7, 2023 10:25 AM

Rochefort, after Les Demoiselles de Rochefort.

by Anonymousreply 66March 7, 2023 10:28 AM

I want to visit Mallorca because of Love Island UK.

R17 I would go to do the Sound of Music Tour in a minute. However, I also really want to see the gate at the Captain’s(or was it the Baroness’s house) that goes to the lake and I would love to twirl on the top of hill like Frauline Maria.

by Anonymousreply 67March 7, 2023 10:36 AM

All of the Nova Scotia locations featured in "Dolores Claiborne", in and around Lunenburg.

Brownsville, Oregon: The hometown "Castle Rock" in "Stand By Me".

All three inspirations for The Overlook Hotel: The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park Colorado, The Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood, Oregon, and The Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite Valley, California.

The "On Golden Pond" house on Squam Lake, and the town of Holderness, New Hampshire.

DAR State Park in Addison, Vermont. The house built four "What Lies Beneath" was an exterior, and struck afterward, but it would be fun to find the location even if nothing's left.

by Anonymousreply 68March 7, 2023 11:32 AM

Nelson, British Columbia, where the Steve Martin movie Roxane was filmed.

by Anonymousreply 69March 7, 2023 11:37 AM

[quote]I would sometimes show up early in the morning and walk all over the backlot before the sun was up with no one around.

How romantical, Betty Schaefer. Except, a working studio runs 24/7 and you'd have to have encountered security patrolling the lot or crew members or someone who'd have questioned your presence.

by Anonymousreply 70March 7, 2023 11:49 AM

It wasn’t a great dream of mine but we did a drive by of Jesse Pinkman’s house from Breaking Bad in Albuquerque since we were in the neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 71March 7, 2023 11:56 AM

The Italian locations in Angels and Demons.

by Anonymousreply 72March 7, 2023 12:13 PM

You can walk between the locations in Rome used in Angels and Demons, the only places you have to pay to enter are The Vatican Museum and Castel Sant'Angelo. Each one is about $18. Entry to all the Churches (Pantheon, St Peters, Santa Maria del Popolo etc) in Rome is free, but they might encourage a donation.

The Vatican restaurant/café has excellent inexpensive food.

by Anonymousreply 73March 7, 2023 12:48 PM

Too many to recount, especially those films/TV shows set in historic locations, capital cities, castles, cathedrals, museums, other buildings, and monuments, given that I've been traveled extensively throughout W. Europe, the UK, and the US (especially NYC). But some specific and special ones to me:

Did the "Rocky" run up the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum.

Ate pizza in "Mystic Pizza" of Mystic, CT.

Saw Michelangelo's "Madonna and Child" on site in Bruges, having been recovered from the Nazis in "The Monuments Men." (It goes almost without saying that I also visited the cathedral featuring in "In Bruges.")

Stood overlooking the Normandy beaches of "The Longest Day," "Saving Private Ryan," etc. But my visit to nearby Sainte-Mere-Eglise, with the church still adorned by the figure commemorating the US Airman caught on the steeple by his parachute, as portrayed in the former WW II movie by Red Buttons, and the village still displaying gratitude to Americans, was most gratifying.

Walked along the seaside row of cafes in Villefranche, as seen (but unnamed) in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels."

But the two coolest have been:

I live quite near and so have been to Dorney Park, the amusement park in Allentown, PA, where scenes for "Where Angels Go Trouble Follows" (1968) and "Hairspray" (1988) were filmed.

Finally, in NYC, upon randomly turning onto a side street, I found myself smack in the middle of a "Law and Order" filming location! And nobody stopped me! Alas, it was the Dennis Farina era (love him, but love Jerry Orbach above all!). I never did learn what episode it was.

by Anonymousreply 74March 7, 2023 5:16 PM

Grammar correction for myself, r74: "...I've traveled...." Delete "been."

by Anonymousreply 75March 7, 2023 5:18 PM

This is what I get for not composing beforehand. I forgot my several trips to....

Camden, Maine! The site of the movie version of "Peyton Place"! I watch the film like it's my own souvenir!

by Anonymousreply 76March 7, 2023 5:21 PM

R51 omits that the location is in Ambler, PA.

R68, I was enchanted by colorful Luneberg!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 7, 2023 5:29 PM

The scene in The Fugitive in which Harrison Ford joins a St. Patrick’s Day parade in Chicago to elude the wily Tommy Lee Jones seized my imagination when I saw that the city dyes the river an amazing, vibrant green. I drove there last year, from Oregon, to see it. It was every bit as stunning and gorgeous as I could ever have hoped for.

by Anonymousreply 78March 7, 2023 5:31 PM

That beautiful mill conversion house in ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS. Not sure if it’s for real though.

by Anonymousreply 79March 7, 2023 5:47 PM

I went to Highclere Castle, the real Downton Abbey, a couple of years ago and it was a total blast to be there and see those rooms and the grounds up close

by Anonymousreply 80March 7, 2023 5:51 PM

[quote]Camden, Maine! The site of the movie version of "Peyton Place"!

I went to Camden and thought it was beautiful. But I hadn't seen the movie, so I didn't get that added interest.

by Anonymousreply 81March 8, 2023 1:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!