Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

BREAKING! “Succession” to end with season 4!

HBO always ends its shows fast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 25, 2023 10:39 PM

Probably a good idea. At least Brian Cox won't have to deal with/complain about Jeremy Strong anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1February 24, 2023 1:04 AM

I'm surprised, it's a popular show.

by Anonymousreply 2February 24, 2023 1:05 AM

Season 3 was uneven and became repetitious for a while, but it did get better in the latter episodes. Best to end it before it becomes a near-parody like BILLIONS.

by Anonymousreply 3February 24, 2023 1:06 AM

I am rewatching Season 3 in anticipation of Season 4, and I think the story needs to come to a conclusion. I'd probably watch a spinoff, but I don't know how many more seasons of this particular plotline I could take. As r3 said as I was typing, Season 3 is repetitive.

by Anonymousreply 4February 24, 2023 1:07 AM

This makes a lot of sense. The twists at the ends of the last two seasons were gut wrenching, but you can’t artificially keep this story going forever. There should be consequences, winners and losers.

by Anonymousreply 5February 24, 2023 1:08 AM

OP, HBO is smart enough to end good shows before they go to shit. Unlike Showtime and the networks.

by Anonymousreply 6February 24, 2023 1:08 AM

Two years too late.

by Anonymousreply 7February 24, 2023 1:08 AM

R2 you’re surprised the channel that always ends it’s shows fast ended this fast?

I can’t think of a hit show on HBO that lasted very long outside of Sopranos and True Blood, but that one went downhill by the end.

Sex and the City was a big hit and went out on its highest rated season, season 6. Game of Thrones is their most watched show of all time and they ended it with season 6. I bet season 3 will be Euphoria’s final season, unless they do one last season with 4.

by Anonymousreply 8February 24, 2023 1:11 AM

Television has gotten so lazy. Most shows get at most like three seasons with anywhere from six to eight episodes each. Network shows would do twenty-four episodes a year. Then there was the arrival of cable and HBO and Showtime and shows on those platforms would do thirteen episodes. Perhaps it's due to streaming but Hollywood has gotten progressively lazy.

by Anonymousreply 9February 24, 2023 1:12 AM

R6 I agree, minus True Blood. That is the only show they kept around and let go bad.

by Anonymousreply 10February 24, 2023 1:12 AM

You kind of knew this was coming. They were just spotted filming a funeral scene.

by Anonymousreply 11February 24, 2023 1:13 AM

R9 streaming has made 6-8 episodes acceptable as a full season.

Gen Z is starting to complain about this too. Even they are saying 8 episodes isn’t enough to call a season a full season.

by Anonymousreply 12February 24, 2023 1:13 AM

The showrunner said when it started the Brian Cox character would have to die at some point during the run so you could see who the "successor" was.

by Anonymousreply 13February 24, 2023 1:14 AM

HBO and the Succession producers are very shrewd. Announce that it's ending now before its final season airs and have that final Best Drama Emmy wrapped up.

by Anonymousreply 14February 24, 2023 1:16 AM

Armstrong's Peep Show was six episodes per season and there were nine seasons. The ending was pitch perfect, so I am hopeful that the Succession ending will be good as well.

by Anonymousreply 15February 24, 2023 1:17 AM

I thought we knew this before last season ended. Maybe I dreamed it, or have become clairvoyant.

by Anonymousreply 16February 24, 2023 1:18 AM

My favorite show but it’s time to end it. They can’t recycle the same story over and over. Maybe they can kill Cox and start another show about some of minor characters like Stewy or Adrian Brody. That could be fun.

by Anonymousreply 17February 24, 2023 1:22 AM

I'd like everything to go to Logan's wife Marcia in the end--she's so mysterious and always below everyone's radar.

by Anonymousreply 18February 24, 2023 1:23 AM

Fucking finally. Worst fandom since that cursed Interstellar movie. Those Jeremy Strong-worshipping dweebs ruined the show for me.

by Anonymousreply 19February 24, 2023 1:05 PM

Jesse Armstrong doesn’t do spin-offs . Or follow-up movies. Or flashbacks, dream sequences or characters coming back from the dead. He knows doing any of that dilutes the stories he wants to tell. Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 20February 24, 2023 1:49 PM

It’s probably not the “best” show but Succession might be the most entertaining show IMO. I’ll miss it but it must be very expensive to produce. Also, isn’t it written by one guy? He must be exhausted.

I’ll follow Culkin wherever he ends up next. Love him.

by Anonymousreply 21February 24, 2023 2:11 PM

R21, Jessse Armstrong is the creator/headwriter but he only writes some of the scripts. He has a writing team.

by Anonymousreply 22February 24, 2023 2:35 PM

I had hoped they would do five seasons, with the fourth killing Logan off and then five chronicling the end of it as family business and a battle for control between the kids and the current wife. The original plan was to kill off Logan in the first series, leaving the kids to fight it out with R18's mysterious Marcia (recall the opening episode fussing about her position in the trust, which she demanded be restored when she returned from nowhere in S3.) So maybe they'll condense that and cram it into four, though I doubt it.

I don't believe the old man is alive by series' end.

by Anonymousreply 23February 24, 2023 6:19 PM

I agree with posters upthread that this power struggle can’t go on forever without becoming tiresome.

It’s a great show and I’ll miss it when it’s over, but better that it be strong start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 24February 24, 2023 6:24 PM

The show about rich people fighting over who gets to be head rich person- HBO lost me after season one. I hate shows were none of the characters are even close to being human or real or likeable. Television needs to take a step back. There are too many shows where the characters are all horrible people. No one to cheer for - no one to watch. Even Archie Bunker was likeable. .

by Anonymousreply 25February 24, 2023 8:25 PM

R23, I missed the bit where Marcia getting two votes for the CEO if Logan died was rescinded. I thought the kids grudgingly signing the documents assuring Logan of that in the first episode remained iron clad. I assume it will play big in the series finale.

by Anonymousreply 26February 24, 2023 9:11 PM

R26, I never thought it got to conclusion. I thought it was a dropped plotline when they realized what a gem Logan was. I always felt the pilot was much different than how season one unfolded. I doubt they raised it again for no reason but I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 27February 24, 2023 9:37 PM

R25, I get you but FWIW the production team has said many times they see it as a comedy (I guess some blend of satire and farce.) Yet to my mind they play it as if it’s a dramedy (and to me actually are more often dramedy than satire.)

by Anonymousreply 28February 24, 2023 9:39 PM

Really, the clip with Logan's funeral wasn't enough of a clue that this would be the final season?

by Anonymousreply 29February 24, 2023 10:10 PM

I tried this show but didn’t like it much. Most shows are better off leaving on top. I started watching You, but my friend warned the latest season terrible. That seems to be par for the course.

by Anonymousreply 30February 24, 2023 10:22 PM

You has hung around too long. Succession will go when it’s still brilliant and in the zeitgeist.

by Anonymousreply 31February 25, 2023 2:46 AM

They'll prolong Logan's death for three or four episodes, having him awaken periodically to mumble a plot-affecting utterance. None of the children will inherit the kingdom and there will be an important unresolved plotline left to explore in a future series.

by Anonymousreply 32February 26, 2023 7:36 PM

[quote]Television has gotten so lazy. Most shows get at most like three seasons with anywhere from six to eight episodes each. Network shows would do twenty-four episodes a year. Then there was the arrival of cable and HBO and Showtime and shows on those platforms would do thirteen episodes. Perhaps it's due to streaming but Hollywood has gotten progressively lazy.

Sitcoms and procedurals are the only types of show where 24-episode seasons make sense.

by Anonymousreply 33February 26, 2023 7:52 PM

From the first season I thought it would end with Tom as CEO and Gerri as COO. Get it, Tom and Gerri/Tom & Jerry? A bit infantile but I think the sort of humor that Jesse Armstrong enjoys and would incorporate into the endgame.

by Anonymousreply 34February 26, 2023 10:20 PM

New trailer out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 2, 2023 4:26 PM

Um, well...hmm.

Hmm!

Huh. I mean...I dunno, what do you think?

Yeah? I guess yeah?

Yeah, no, yeah.

Or maybe—? Maybe no?

No, I don't...huh. Yeah, no, I know. Right. Yes. End it.

End it before, uh, before the maddening dialogue makes me shoot myself in my face.

Or, I dunno. Maybe? No? Yeah? Yeah, no, yeah.

by Anonymousreply 36March 2, 2023 4:42 PM

Tom’s standing pretty close to the ledge of the balcony. Send him over, Shiv!

by Anonymousreply 37March 2, 2023 10:12 PM

Logan looks like death on the floor when they’re all chanting his name. I’d be surprised if he lasts more than two episodes.

Greg will reign. Stupidly.

by Anonymousreply 38March 2, 2023 10:14 PM

[quote] I don't believe the old man is alive by series' end.

I’m pretty sure he will survive. I mean, Murdoch is still alive!

by Anonymousreply 39March 2, 2023 10:49 PM

I was disappointed to see so much of that bimbo EA of Logan's. She just doesn't interest me at all.

by Anonymousreply 40March 2, 2023 10:53 PM

Empire and Succession both have suffered by promising a King Lear setup and drawing it out because they want to keep making money on their TV series.

The old man needs to choose already, and he needs to die.

He could have chosen a successor in the second season and then there could have been a hostile takeover or something by a sibling, but last season was hard to watch until the last couple of episodes because they were just biding time. It really annoyed me and it made me focus on the insane amount of time spent on go-nowhere dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 41March 2, 2023 10:53 PM

I think it’s quite possible that Logan lives. Just because we know a funeral scene was filmed, we don’t know who was in the casket.

by Anonymousreply 42March 2, 2023 10:58 PM

I thought the actor was photographed at the funeral shoot. Two places at once, so to speak, though entirely possible it was red herring.

by Anonymousreply 43March 2, 2023 11:00 PM

It could be a funeral for James Cromwell's character (the oldest other) or basically anybody. Maybe Gerri finally banged RoRo and did a female Cecil Colby.

by Anonymousreply 44March 2, 2023 11:02 PM

That’s fine. It’s better than dragging it on and adding lame new characters and spinning off into random shit.

All good things must end.

by Anonymousreply 45March 2, 2023 11:17 PM

All the sibling rivalry/infighting/plotting/scheming is pretty pointless as the final episode of last season proved. Roman, Shiv, Kendall, maybe Conner? go to confront Logan after the wedding in Italy and walk into Logan’s hotel and discover that he’s brought his entire office over to work on [whatever the deal was]. Like, they had no clue that while they were talking and scheming, Logan just plowed on with the business at hand. And each one thinks he or she could run the company. They’re useless. They are each independently wealthy, just take the money and peace out.

by Anonymousreply 46March 2, 2023 11:27 PM

R46 They all want to win his approval over their siblings. Again, it's like King Lear: Daughters, tell me how much you love me, and the one who loves me the most inherits the kingdom.

by Anonymousreply 47March 2, 2023 11:51 PM

New promo (been out for a couple weeks I think)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 19, 2023 5:21 PM

It's not Logan's funeral.

by Anonymousreply 49March 19, 2023 5:22 PM

I hope we get to see Tom’s red sequoia sized dick and him fucking like a bullet train! How dare they tease me like that.

He can fuck Mattson.

by Anonymousreply 50March 19, 2023 5:36 PM

It's been fun, but it's explored all the issues you'd expect. Better to go out on a high note.

by Anonymousreply 51March 19, 2023 5:38 PM

I bet it's going to be explosively over the top. Somebody's going off that balcony.

by Anonymousreply 52March 19, 2023 5:40 PM

Six more sleeps!

by Anonymousreply 53March 20, 2023 2:13 PM

Jesus Christ, r53. Never use that phrase again.

Unless you’re under the age of ten.

by Anonymousreply 54March 20, 2023 2:36 PM

It was a joke, R54. Don't be so short tempered. Or to quote Logan: fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 55March 20, 2023 2:47 PM

This is the most overrated show on TV today. Season two was a highlight, particularly the last episode, but they completely blew it and lost the plot with season three. The whole thing is poorly paste, poorly, plotted, and poorly cast.

by Anonymousreply 56March 20, 2023 2:50 PM

That's quite a closing sentence, R56. How does it read in English?

by Anonymousreply 57March 20, 2023 2:59 PM

I think it is cast real well. Especially Brian Cox as Logan. He’s fucking perfect. Probably because he’s a grump in real life.

I also like Alan Ruck as Connor.

by Anonymousreply 58March 20, 2023 8:32 PM

I don't buy any of these people as related, let alone siblings. Alexander Skaarsgard is all wrong as a corporate raider. Sanaa Lathan was a hot fucking mess last season. I could go on.

by Anonymousreply 59March 20, 2023 8:35 PM

I want Stewy in me quite deeply. Or at least a coke fuelled revisit of his one night of college sex with Kendall.

by Anonymousreply 60March 20, 2023 10:34 PM

It should end. It's time to wrap up the original story arc. That's what should have happened to Billions when Damian Lewis left instead of shoehorning Corey Stoll into the show to essentially take over the role.

by Anonymousreply 61March 21, 2023 12:15 AM

How many seasons did billions have and how many should it have had? Did the succession writer do that show too?

I heard it was a good show, but I’ve never seen it.

by Anonymousreply 62March 21, 2023 1:06 AM

Is it established that Stewy and Kendall had sex at Harvard?

by Anonymousreply 63March 21, 2023 1:13 AM

No, R63, pure wishful thinking.

by Anonymousreply 64March 21, 2023 1:24 AM

Is Justin Kirk going to be in the next season?

by Anonymousreply 65March 21, 2023 1:38 AM

Yes, Justin Kirk appears in season 4. He was rather prominently featured in the most recent trailer.

by Anonymousreply 66March 21, 2023 1:39 AM

I'm seeing a Fairfax ending for Succession. There were two family owned media empires in Australia alongside the Murdochs (Packer and Fairfax). The Fairfax empire was the most prestigious, profitable and longest running. But in 1987 the then chairman's half brother "Young" Warwick came back from the USA armed with a Harvard MBA, some very dodgy "advisors" and grand ambitions to take over by leveraging to the hilt and taking the company private. The whole scheme crashed, and after 100+ years of operations by 1991 the company was in receivership.

Just a hunch, but I've seen elements of all three families in the Roys (Logan's personality is a close match to Frank and Kerry Packer, while the jockeying for position is more like the Fairfax clan)

by Anonymousreply 67March 21, 2023 1:55 AM

has anyone heard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 21, 2023 9:23 PM

dl's opinion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 21, 2023 9:25 PM

I prefer bill skarsgard.

by Anonymousreply 70March 21, 2023 9:43 PM

I like the guy with the big dick.

by Anonymousreply 71March 21, 2023 10:51 PM

The newspaper which shall not be linked to has a good round up of reviews... not sure any critics didn't rave. Looks like a barn burner.

by Anonymousreply 72March 23, 2023 11:10 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73March 23, 2023 11:10 AM

Succession seems to have been always lauded by critics.

I loved it until last season. The first 80% of the season seemed to be just biding time with inane, annoying, circuitous chatter. Then the ball dropped in the last two episodes, which were great, from what I remember. But I really felt like my time was wasted by most of the season with um...uh, with, yeah, you know. Yeah? Or no? What do you think, Shiv? Yeah or no? No, right? Or...yeah?

by Anonymousreply 74March 23, 2023 11:53 AM

R74, you weren’t paying attention, then.

The shareholders meeting episode when Logan was suffering from a UTI was one of the best of the series. And the episode with Adrien Brody was also really good.

by Anonymousreply 75March 23, 2023 12:29 PM

Not only is the acting and writing stellar but the set design and cinematography is top notch. HBO did good.

by Anonymousreply 76March 25, 2023 7:36 PM

I know somebody started a thread objecting to the score but I love it... I love the variations... everything about the music for the piece. So clever, to make it so symphonic yet not campy.

by Anonymousreply 77March 25, 2023 10:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!