Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Actor Julian Sands Missing — Part Three

Let’s see if he’s found before we need to start Part Four.

by Anonymousreply 600June 20, 2023 3:06 AM

I’ve never watched the movie Frozen.

by Anonymousreply 1February 23, 2023 2:53 PM

This is a nice remembrance of Julian by John Malkovich.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 23, 2023 3:00 PM

I'd still like an answer:

[quote]How long until he's declared dead, so the family can have his stuff?

by Anonymousreply 3February 23, 2023 4:25 PM

He's in one of the cabins on Lake Piru. CHECK THE CABINS ON LAKE PIRU!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4February 23, 2023 4:35 PM

Did he manage to push a small child to safety in a tree before disappearing?

by Anonymousreply 5February 23, 2023 4:43 PM

Years, r3.

by Anonymousreply 6February 23, 2023 4:55 PM

Thanks, r6, I guess we...er, I mean, they'll have to wait.

by Anonymousreply 7February 23, 2023 5:04 PM

Malkovich's new movie with Julian co-starring looks bonkers, but in a good way. If this hadn't happened to Julian, I'd have never heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 8February 23, 2023 5:05 PM

[quote]If this hadn't happened to Julian, I'd have never heard of it.

See? There's no such thing as bad publicity.

by Anonymousreply 9February 23, 2023 5:07 PM

Mount Baldy ski facilities temporarily closed because there’s too much snow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 23, 2023 5:29 PM

"He was so good looking in THE KILLING FIELDS and A ROOM WITH A VIEW". end of obituary

by Anonymousreply 11February 23, 2023 5:37 PM

R1 Let it go!

by Anonymousreply 12February 23, 2023 5:39 PM

He's probably drinking Caipirinhas in Brazil and laughing at us.

by Anonymousreply 13February 23, 2023 5:50 PM

R4 He could have fallen hundreds of feet down a slope into the valley and tumbled along a corridor right into the lake. Strangest things have happened. He could be dazed and disoriented and scared and hiding in one of the cabins right now. It's possible. I'm not saying likely, but possible

by Anonymousreply 14February 23, 2023 5:58 PM

R10 This is absolutely amazing that Baldy is getting so much snow. Mt. Baldy is so easy to get to from LA. And that’s going to cause a lot of trouble this weekend. People are going to read about all the snow and flock there for some skiing. The problem is that only a few of the runs on Baldy are suitable for beginners and the less-experienced. Baldy is a relatively steep mountain that requires more than basic skiing skills. The steepness is why so many hikers and climbers get into trouble there.

My brother and I live in LA and are currently in Mammoth. We made our reservations four months ago. We wanted to get in some really good skiing this winter. If we’d known about all this snow, we could have stayed in LA and have had just as good an experience.

by Anonymousreply 15February 23, 2023 6:02 PM

[quote] He could be dazed and disoriented and scared and hiding in one of the cabins right now. It's possible.

And surviving on what, honey? Berries?

by Anonymousreply 16February 23, 2023 6:03 PM

No, silly, other animals not as quick as him.

Duh.

by Anonymousreply 17February 23, 2023 6:47 PM

From Part II:

[quote]They are Dataloungers trying to locate Julian's phone to retrieve his nude pics as Tarzan from the 80's. there are scores of them on Mt Baldy RIGHT NOW, most of them eldergays.

So I guess it’s true then. There are bears up there.

by Anonymousreply 18February 23, 2023 6:47 PM

[quote]He could be dazed and disoriented and scared and hiding in one of the cabins right now

I hope not. That doesn’t end well when the owners come home.

by Anonymousreply 19February 23, 2023 6:48 PM

Didn’t writer George Sand come to a similar demise herself?

by Anonymousreply 20February 23, 2023 7:17 PM

It was Spock's fault that he fell, [R577].

by Anonymousreply 21February 23, 2023 8:16 PM

[quote]And surviving on what, honey? Berries?

yes, and especially quagga mussels: Quagga mussels became established in Lake Piru and then downstream in the Lower Piru Creek in 2013. While this was the first discovery in Ventura County, they are an invasive species found in various rivers and lakes in the U.S. "

by Anonymousreply 22February 23, 2023 8:23 PM

Given the terrain and weather conditions he was in, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes years to find him, if they find him at all. He easily could have been eaten by wildlife at this point. I really liked him as an actor. He also was stunningly handsome in his youth. It's too bad. I can only hope this is some elaborate hoax and he's staged a disappearance, but by all logical conclusions, he's long gone.

by Anonymousreply 23February 23, 2023 8:30 PM

The body of Bob Gregory, the hiker who went missing the same weekend as Julian, was found 300 feet below the summit of the mountain he was hiking. The coroner’s report showed he died of ‘blunt force trauma.’ At least he didn’t have to suffer from the freezing weather while he slowly died. I hope Julian had a similar speedy end.

by Anonymousreply 24February 23, 2023 8:32 PM

Maybe Julian killed Bob and went on the run!

by Anonymousreply 25February 23, 2023 8:36 PM

Sadly, he is almost certainly deceased. It could be years before his remains are found. Assuming they're ever found. Shame.

by Anonymousreply 26February 23, 2023 8:41 PM

Forgot to mention, I'm actually surprised by the lack of media coverage.

by Anonymousreply 27February 23, 2023 8:41 PM

R2 I was just about to post the same.

A really lovely article.

by Anonymousreply 28February 23, 2023 8:41 PM

I’m surprised he and Malkovich were actual offscreen friends for so long. I like when there’s genuine Hollywood friendships and this seemed like one.

by Anonymousreply 29February 23, 2023 8:55 PM

[quote]Quagga mussels became established in Lake Piru

Where you should check the cabins. CHECK THE FUCKING CABINS.

by Anonymousreply 30February 23, 2023 8:56 PM

It’s possible his body won’t be found. There was heavy snow and an ice storm shortly after he went missing. His body could be preserved under ice. But with an eventual spring thaw, carrion eaters such as bears and coyotes could devour his body and scatter the bones. Gruesome thought! Mountain lions usually only eat fresh kill, so his body would be safe from them.

by Anonymousreply 31February 23, 2023 9:00 PM

R3 in California, a person can be declared presumed dead after five years.

by Anonymousreply 32February 23, 2023 9:04 PM

I don't mean to tell the county sheriff how to do their job, but did they search under the trees ? he could be under a tree, protected from the snow. Did they check the trees ?

by Anonymousreply 33February 23, 2023 9:13 PM

[quote] in California, a person can be declared presumed dead after five years.

But in Hollywood specifically, a person is declared dead after five flops.

by Anonymousreply 34February 23, 2023 9:15 PM

R34 If that’s the case, Julian has been dead for decades.

by Anonymousreply 35February 23, 2023 9:19 PM

[quote]but did they search under the trees ? he could be under a tree, protected from the snow. Did they check the trees ?

I want to know if they checked under the couch cushions. I’m always finding stuff there.

by Anonymousreply 36February 23, 2023 10:09 PM

Has James Ivory commented yet?

by Anonymousreply 37February 23, 2023 10:21 PM

R37. I don’t think Ivory has made a public comment, and I’ve been wondering about that.

by Anonymousreply 38February 23, 2023 10:26 PM

He should write a script about a formerly hot British actor who gets lost on while mountain climbing.

"The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill.....And Stayed There"

by Anonymousreply 39February 23, 2023 10:52 PM

R39 Could he include a sequence in which the Englishman meets a mountain-climbing twink and has a brief dalliance before continuing his hike? The twink could be played by Tack Sappington.

by Anonymousreply 40February 23, 2023 11:09 PM

With all the snow lately , they wont find him untill autumn if at all.

by Anonymousreply 41February 23, 2023 11:11 PM

R40 Here’s some info about the potential co-star, Tack Sappington. Went missing the same weekend as Julian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 23, 2023 11:21 PM

R40, r42 Maybe they could also include a part for Bob Gregory, the hiker who also went missing that weekend. Sappington could be spit-roasted by Gregory and Sands.

by Anonymousreply 43February 23, 2023 11:26 PM

The earliest anyone can hope to find him is high summer, and that's only if he was wearing brightly colored clothing. If the poor man was wearing fashionable gray, black, brown, or beige, he'll blend in with the rocky landscape.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's never found, or isn't found for years.

by Anonymousreply 44February 23, 2023 11:59 PM

I was just saying that today R44. I really don't think they'll ever find him.

by Anonymousreply 45February 24, 2023 12:01 AM

R44 reminds me of the Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode The Crystal Trench. Synopsis:

[quote] When Stella Ballister's husband dies in a mountain-climbing accident, he falls into a crevasse and is frozen within a glacier. Stella waits for the glacier to move so that she can see the frozen and perfectly preserved body of her husband. When it finally does so, she is shocked to discover that her husband's corpse is wearing a locket that contains a picture of another woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 24, 2023 12:09 AM

R44 - looks like he was wearing dark colors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 24, 2023 12:12 AM

R47 Those photos were from him climbing the Alps, not Mt. Baldy.

by Anonymousreply 48February 24, 2023 12:14 AM

R46, I love that episode

by Anonymousreply 49February 24, 2023 12:51 AM

The Guardian interview with John Malkovich at R2 is a good read. Unlike all the fusspots going on about Sands' idiocy, JM has a sensible take on the situation.

And the clip from the Seneca movie wasn't bad. (But why is Julian in a clown costume with earrings?)

by Anonymousreply 50February 24, 2023 5:03 AM

R37 & R38, James Ivory is 94 -- almost 95. Perhaps he isn't in good health and can't comment right now.

by Anonymousreply 51February 24, 2023 7:39 AM

Lord, trying to make James Ivory the Susan Dey of this thread has gone over a few of your heads!

by Anonymousreply 52February 24, 2023 1:31 PM

I never knew that Julian and John Malkovich were such good friends. It would be fascinating to know more about their relationship. In particular, I’d love to have been able to eavesdrop on their conversations. Although they’re both very serious men, each seems to also have had a strong humorous streak. Julian’s death must be a real loss to Malkovich.

by Anonymousreply 53February 24, 2023 3:23 PM

Latest update on Mt. Baldy weather. It’s bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 24, 2023 4:15 PM

R53 - he's missing not dead.

by Anonymousreply 55February 24, 2023 7:18 PM

R55, he’s dead, son. Accept it.

by Anonymousreply 56February 24, 2023 7:32 PM

He's cryogenically preserved! When the spring thaw comes, he'll wake up, fresh as a daisy,

by Anonymousreply 57February 24, 2023 7:52 PM

He'll wake up years from now, like Rip Van Winkle

by Anonymousreply 58February 24, 2023 8:33 PM

Will there be a "Missing, Presumed Dead" segment of the Oscars this year?

by Anonymousreply 59February 24, 2023 8:51 PM

Chris Rock would have made a joke about it.

by Anonymousreply 60February 24, 2023 8:53 PM

No maybe that is more Joan Rivers style.

by Anonymousreply 61February 24, 2023 8:54 PM

"Julian Sands - Warlock - Return to Mt. Baldy - can't wait to see it!"

by Anonymousreply 62February 24, 2023 9:07 PM

[quote]He'll wake up years from now, like Rip Van Winkle

The guy who played Fonzie?

by Anonymousreply 63February 24, 2023 9:31 PM

in 50 years, people will read about "the strange disappearance of actor Julian Sands" , ending with "his remains were never found."

by Anonymousreply 64February 24, 2023 9:40 PM

History’s Greatest Mysteries is already on it.

by Anonymousreply 65February 24, 2023 9:41 PM

In Search of ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 24, 2023 9:44 PM

Maybe it's just all a prank to promote his stupid movie with Malkovitch, like Joachim Phoenix did some years ago.

by Anonymousreply 67February 24, 2023 9:46 PM

[quote]When the spring thaw comes, he'll wake up, fresh as a daisy,

one that's been picked a few days !

by Anonymousreply 68February 24, 2023 10:47 PM

John Malkovich has made a film that won’t be seen until November 18, 2115. The film has been placed in a vault that will automatically open on that date.

News reports at that time will probably report that the body of Malkovich’s friend, Julian Sands, had not yet been found, but the search is ongoing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 24, 2023 10:52 PM

is John Malkovitch now a chinaman ?

by Anonymousreply 70February 24, 2023 10:54 PM

Cue the tape.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 24, 2023 10:55 PM

R69 Great idea!

by Anonymousreply 72February 24, 2023 10:55 PM

He’s the Michael Rockefeller of Hollywood!

by Anonymousreply 73February 24, 2023 11:03 PM

I'm not eating that.

by Anonymousreply 74February 24, 2023 11:08 PM

Even in his 60s, he looked sexy in the pics of him climbing in the Alps.

by Anonymousreply 75February 25, 2023 5:24 AM

He was delicious!

by Anonymousreply 76February 25, 2023 6:00 AM

His body will be found because hiking in that area will pickup due to curious and/or morbid people. Bragging rights for finding a dead celebrity and all that.

by Anonymousreply 77February 25, 2023 7:31 AM

[quote]Bragging rights for finding a dead celebrity and all that.

Is that a thing now?

by Anonymousreply 78February 25, 2023 7:56 AM

So, basically Julian is Schrodinger’s Mountain Climber right now, being neither dead, nor alive.

by Anonymousreply 79February 25, 2023 9:23 AM

R77 If Julian’s body is found by a hiker, it would be a hiker specifically looking for him. His body is likely at the bottom of Baldy Bowl, and there are no real hiking trails there. The sides of Baldy Bowl are volcanic rock, at a 45 to 50 degree angle. The easiest way to get there is to fall. Hiking down there is quite difficult. I’m afraid that the mountain’s new notoriety will cause more people to hike it, whether looking for Julian or not. More people are going to be put into danger. Mt. Baldy has a well-earned reputation for being one of the three deadliest peaks in the US.

by Anonymousreply 80February 25, 2023 2:39 PM

The problem with Baldy is that it’s so easy to get to that a lot of the huge population of LA take it for granted and its familiarity makes it seem easily accessible. It even has something familiar to all Angelenos—a parking lot at its base.

by Anonymousreply 81February 25, 2023 2:57 PM

I’m having trouble getting around the paywall at the New York Times. They’ve got a fascinating-sounding new article called “Julian Sands, Mount Baldy, and the Joy of Dangerous Sports.”

Can any of you DLers copy the article and post it here?

by Anonymousreply 82February 25, 2023 3:38 PM

.By Rose George Ms. George is a British author whose books include “Nine Pints: A Journey Through the Money, Medicine, and Mysteries of Blood.”

On Friday, Jan. 13, the actor Julian Sands set off for a hike up Mount Baldy in California’s San Gabriel Mountains. He had done this kind of thing before: Mountain hiking was his passion. The 10,000-foot Mount Baldy is a difficult climb, but he had seen worse. In the Andes, he and three friends had reportedly been caught at 20,000 feet in a storm so violent, nearby climbers died. “We were lucky,” he later said. Mr. Sands didn’t make it down from Mount Baldy that day. The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department began a ground search, but it has so far come up empty. Looking for missing hikers and climbers is very difficult under the best of conditions, and especially so in winter. Ferocious storms across the western United States have since made the prospects even bleaker. A friend of Mr. Sands’s recently described him as “an extremely advanced hiker” as well as “very, very fit.” Regardless, plenty of people will think this kind of expedition reckless. They will criticize those who set off in poor weather, in winter, knowing they could come to harm, for underestimating the risk. For going alone. For going anyway. I am used to people telling me my chosen hobby is risky, even “insane.” I’m not a mountain hiker, like Mr. Sands, but I, too, have devoted myself to a sport I enjoy despite — and to some degree because of — the danger.

by Anonymousreply 83February 25, 2023 4:17 PM

My love is fell running. “Fell” is an English term, from the Old Norse “fjall,” a mountain. In the north of England, and especially in Lakeland, the high, sometimes featureless hills are called fells, and the runners who like to run up and down and along them — and the hills of the Peak District and Yorkshire and elsewhere — are fell runners. There is no direct equivalent of fell running outside Britain. It’s not trail running, since there are few trails, and the terrain is boggier and both softer and tougher than a mountain runner would be used to. There will always be climbs, and there will always be descents that call to the inner child in me, to run down them as fast as I can.

My friends who do not fell run think I’m mad. I don’t agree. I think it is sane to pitch yourself among the wildest nature. I am 53 and having a sometimes difficult menopause: Running through high places on wild moorland is my quickest route to peace of mind. I defend myself against risk as best I can. I always carry a waterproof jacket and trousers, survival blankets, food and liquid, gloves, a hat, a compass and a whistle. But the most important defense is preparation. Many fell runners frown on GPS guidance, so you learn the route in advance, with a map and a compass. Critics think this policy is purist or old-fashioned, but the guideline is meant to increase the reliance on knowledge over luck, which can so easily fail. Once, I ran a race up the mighty Yorkshire hill of Ingleborough. It was an out-and-back route. You run up, and then back down the same way. But at the summit, there was thick fog. I strayed slightly off the footpath, looking for a better line over the rocks, and within minutes I could see nothing and hear no one. I was the worst kind of lost: Minutes from the manned checkpoint, minutes from the other runners, I didn’t know where I was or where I had to go.

The flanks of Ingleborough are punctured with potholes and caves, and I could easily fall down one by stepping the wrong way. Was I in danger? Possibly. It was too cold to wait for the fog to lift, and I had no signal with which to call Mountain Rescue. I chose to get off the hill as slowly and carefully as I could, then followed the sun when it appeared. I wasn’t lost anymore. I tell this story to fell runners to demonstrate how poor I often am at navigation, and to make them laugh: No one gets lost on an out-and-back. But it wasn’t funny, and I will probably always remember it and the speed with which the familiar changed to the bewildering, as fast as a breath. I’ve asked myself why — hypothetically — I should put pressure on rescuers for something that is a leisure activity. Because I know that in the hills your luck can turn as easily as a bird in the sky. I lessen my guilt by donating to my local branch of Mountain Rescue and by always stopping to help anyone who needs it. So still I set off into the hills or to the moors, even in poor weather. I do it because there is nothing like it. Mr. Sands once said, “a lot of time people who don’t climb mountains assume it is about this great heroic sprint for the summit. And somehow this great ego-driven ambition. But actually it’s the reverse. It’s about supplication and sacrifice and humility, when you go to these mountains.” I will not stop running in wild places because, probably like Mr. Sands, and probably like other missing hikers and runners, I have calculated the price of risk — the kind I cannot ward off no matter how prepared I am — against the reward of joy, and I think it worth paying.

by Anonymousreply 84February 25, 2023 4:18 PM

R83, r84 Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 85February 25, 2023 4:28 PM

[quote]The easiest way to get there is to fall.

I suspect that is true of any deep hole in the ground.

by Anonymousreply 86February 25, 2023 4:32 PM

How sweet of r83/r84.

You're a doll.

by Anonymousreply 87February 25, 2023 8:31 PM

R84 The writer says she has calculated the price of risk of dangerous activities against the reward of joy and thinks it’s a price worth paying. The problem is, other people also have to pay—the taxpayers who have to pay for the rescue services and the rescuers, who sometimes have to pay with their lives.

by Anonymousreply 88February 25, 2023 9:02 PM

R84 She does say that she donates to mountain rescue, and in this particular activity it's unlikely that rescuers would risk their lives, but that's absolutely the case with 'recreations' like base jumping and other dangerous sports.

by Anonymousreply 89February 25, 2023 9:15 PM

R89 Several rescuers have died in recent years on Mt. Baldy. The most recent was in 2019.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90February 25, 2023 9:25 PM

R90 I was talking about fell running.

by Anonymousreply 91February 25, 2023 9:38 PM

R90 The man who was being searched for also died. His remains weren’t found until about six months later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92February 25, 2023 9:47 PM

Ir is my experience that the ones who bellyache most about paying taxes are the ones who have loopholes to avoid paying it. Most dogfaces get tax taken out of their wages without choice.

by Anonymousreply 93February 25, 2023 10:10 PM

R83 She really made that all about herself.

by Anonymousreply 94February 25, 2023 10:49 PM

R94 Yes, she really did make that all about herself. There was really no logical argument to support risky behavior, just platitudes about personal daring. I’m surprised The NY Times would print something so shallow.

by Anonymousreply 95February 25, 2023 11:02 PM

I disagree she was making it all about herself.

I do it because there is nothing like it. Mr. Sands once said, “a lot of time people who don’t climb mountains assume it is about this great heroic sprint for the summit. And somehow this great ego-driven ambition. But actually it’s the reverse. It’s about supplication and sacrifice and humility, when you go to these mountains.”

She knows Sands will get shit for killing himself on a mountain and she was offering her own experience to deflect some of the hate he will get. It seems to be working.

by Anonymousreply 96February 25, 2023 11:07 PM

R96 Oh blah blah blah. All these reckless fuckers should have to pay a bond that when they are lost the bond goes towards saving their stupid, self obsessed asses.

by Anonymousreply 97February 25, 2023 11:14 PM

R97 Blah blah blah fine with me. Write your congressman.

by Anonymousreply 98February 25, 2023 11:17 PM

Taking your chances hiking is fine so long as neither you or your family expect people to also risk their lives to go searching for you.

by Anonymousreply 99February 25, 2023 11:22 PM

R99 And yet, they do. See R90.

by Anonymousreply 100February 25, 2023 11:44 PM

I agree with some of the criticism of people who engage in risky adventures BUT ONLY IF THEY’RE INEXPERIENCED AND ARE NOT PROPERLY EQUIPPED. Julian can only be criticized for his plight for going hiking alone. However, it was only a week ago that two young hikers had to be rescued from the side of Mt. Baldy by helicopter. One person had fallen and the second person got into trouble when he tried to help. At least they had a cell phone and were able to call for help. From what I read, these two hikers were relatively inexperienced and weren’t properly equipped.

Julian did everything else that was correct. He told his wife where he’d be and what time he expected to return. When he didn’t return, she promptly called the San Bernardino sheriff, so no time was lost in looting for him.

From what I’ve read, Julian was very experienced, including having climbed Mt. Baldy numerous times.

I’m sure he was properly equipped with crampons, an ice axe and other ice tools, rope, climbing tape, and a backpack with emergency provisions. In the photo at r47, he’s shown wearing a proper climbing helmet. That’s something a lot of climbers are too macho to wear.

Julian seems to have been a responsible hiker/climber, so I don’t begrudge him the use of search services.

by Anonymousreply 101February 26, 2023 1:44 PM

R101 When one takes such a risky endeavor it should not be expected that people search for him should he go missing. So long as it is assumed that they are most likely dead and that there body will be searched for after the spring thaw at the cost of the hiker's family.

by Anonymousreply 102February 26, 2023 8:40 PM

R102 Indeed. And they should have to pay for any rescue or search. It was their choice.

by Anonymousreply 103February 26, 2023 9:39 PM

[quote]and that there body will be searched for

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 104February 26, 2023 9:40 PM

Conditions on Mt. Baldy can be endlessly treacherous. Daytime temperatures can briefly rise and the snow will begin to melt. Then freezing sets in and the melted snow turns to ice. Ice is much more difficult and dangerous to hike on than snow, which will hamper any ground searches for Julian. Ice also melts much less quickly than snow, so the thawing period on Mt. Baldy will be extended. Everything is working against finding Julian’s body.

Years ago when I was into mountaineering, I heard a tale of a man who was hiking on Mt. Baldy in the early spring. A large slab of ice above him detached and almost completely decapitated him as it slid off the mountainside. Baldy is a really treacherous mountain.

by Anonymousreply 105February 27, 2023 1:25 AM

We used to post all the Ted C. blind items here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106February 27, 2023 2:35 AM

Is NPH coming out?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107February 27, 2023 2:36 AM

Did the SAG Awards include our Julian in their “In Memoriam” presentation?

by Anonymousreply 108February 27, 2023 4:43 AM

No

by Anonymousreply 109February 27, 2023 5:34 AM

Not even a with a “death in abstentia” disclaimer?

by Anonymousreply 110February 27, 2023 6:16 AM

[quote]so no time was lost in looting for him.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 111February 27, 2023 7:52 AM

He must have been a selfish jerk to put his family to this.

by Anonymousreply 112February 27, 2023 12:05 PM

It's still snow and ice up there, is it?

by Anonymousreply 113February 27, 2023 12:13 PM

R113 Mount Baldy is “an icy death trap.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114February 27, 2023 2:32 PM

Couldn't he just slide down the mountain?

by Anonymousreply 115February 27, 2023 2:34 PM

R115 That’s what he probably did. He slid to his death.

by Anonymousreply 116February 27, 2023 2:38 PM

Julian “Avalanche” Sands they used to call him….

by Anonymousreply 117February 27, 2023 3:17 PM

It’s scary how steep Mt Baldy is and some of the trails appear to be very narrow. Are there deaths in the summer months?

by Anonymousreply 118February 27, 2023 4:51 PM

Thank you R114

What is it with these people with families? Do they not have enough adventure at home already?

[quote] One of the fatalities was Crystal Paula Gonzalez, an experienced hiker and mother of four, who was reported to have fallen at least 500 feet down an icy slope.

by Anonymousreply 119February 27, 2023 4:55 PM

She wasn't a regular mom, R119. She was a cool mom.

And then she was a frozen mom.

by Anonymousreply 120February 27, 2023 5:09 PM

he died screaming " BEAUTYYYYY"

by Anonymousreply 121February 27, 2023 5:11 PM

R120 Ain't that the truth!

by Anonymousreply 122February 27, 2023 5:24 PM

I like blue.

by Anonymousreply 123February 27, 2023 5:41 PM

R121 I did that line back in thread one, but I’ll allow because it’s a good one!

by Anonymousreply 124February 27, 2023 6:01 PM

I rather like to think that he really did, R121.

by Anonymousreply 125February 27, 2023 6:40 PM

This twat’ll be the talk of Mt Baldy all bloody season!

by Anonymousreply 126February 27, 2023 6:42 PM

While y’all are waiting for the body to be found, I’ve discovered the perfect book for DL to read in the interim!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127February 27, 2023 7:31 PM

R124, it's not a theft, it's an hommage

by Anonymousreply 128February 27, 2023 8:23 PM

I’m surprised they didn’t mention his probable death at the SAG Awards. Let’s see if he gets a mention at this year’s Oscars ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 129February 27, 2023 8:26 PM

[quote]it's an hommage

It's a what, now?

That squiggly little line in your posts isn't to emphasize how great of a post it is.

by Anonymousreply 130February 27, 2023 8:56 PM

R129 - Maybe if Helena Bonham Carter or John Malkovich is a presenter, they might make a little statement.

by Anonymousreply 131February 27, 2023 8:59 PM

No, no, ladies.

You can't include him in the Oscar obits, only to find that he's faked his own death and is found 3 months later sipping Mimosas in Puerto Vallarta with his toyboy.

by Anonymousreply 132February 27, 2023 9:20 PM

[quote]R124, it's not a theft, it's an homage

It's not a comeback! It's a return!

by Anonymousreply 133February 27, 2023 9:24 PM

When asked what he wanted played at his funeral, Julian said he wanted Rufus Wainright’s version of “Get Happy.”

Great choice! Makes me like Julian even more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134February 28, 2023 1:49 AM

R134 Yes, he did!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135February 28, 2023 1:53 AM

But does it count if he's not at his own funeral?

by Anonymousreply 136February 28, 2023 2:12 AM

Does it count if it's not Judy's version?

by Anonymousreply 137February 28, 2023 2:14 AM

[quote]When asked what he wanted played at his funeral, Julian said he wanted Rufus Wainright’s version of “Get Happy.”

Which, of course, is actually Rufus Wainwright's version of Judy Garland's version of "Get Happy."

What a gay old time that will be!

by Anonymousreply 138February 28, 2023 2:22 AM

Mount Baldy ought to be called Mount Deadly.

by Anonymousreply 139February 28, 2023 2:00 PM

They must NOT, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, rename it "Mount Deadly"! It wouldn't discourage idiots from getting killed, the name change would actively draw every try-hard, douche, and Xtreme sports nutcase from around the world!

No, there's nothing to be done but charge anyone who needs rescuing a fortune for public services and volunteer searches - the local government can't even stop rescuing hikers because of legal issues, not to mention common decency. You can't not even try to rescue people, several lives have been saved already this year, But do something to discourage the idiots, since a front-page death hasn't done the job.

by Anonymousreply 140March 1, 2023 12:41 AM

R140 It obviously draws deluded nut cases already.

by Anonymousreply 141March 1, 2023 12:44 AM

Talking about British men aging badly...

Julian Sands was a gorgeous youth and hot as fuck when young man. Remember seeing him in "Warlock" and thinking phwoarrrrr!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142March 1, 2023 12:50 AM

R142 Julian only looked good for a few years. When he was in his teens and twenties, his hair was a mess but that didn’t matter because there was so much of it. His hairline started receding at a very young age. A professional stylist could probably have done something with it, but Julian got no such help. He simply let his hair get long , which emphasized the bald areas. It also seems to have been cut unevenly, which made him look unkempt. You can tell he wasn’t gay by the lack of attention he gave to his hair.

by Anonymousreply 143March 1, 2023 1:18 AM

Poor guy. They're not finding him any time soon under these conditions. It's the first time in my lifetime that I've ever heard of "blizzard conditions" in Southern California forests into March.

by Anonymousreply 144March 1, 2023 1:20 AM

An unverified video on YouTube claims he is not dead and has been “found alive.”

by Anonymousreply 145March 1, 2023 1:22 AM

"What about me?"

by Anonymousreply 146March 1, 2023 1:29 AM

[quote]You can tell he wasn’t gay by the lack of attention he gave to his hair.

And this is no doubt what led to his death.

by Anonymousreply 147March 1, 2023 1:41 AM

[quote]An unverified video on YouTube claims he is not dead and has been “found alive.”

Where can I find that? With videos of Bigfoot sightings?

by Anonymousreply 148March 1, 2023 1:43 AM

A video shared on YouTube five days ago claims in the title that “missing Julian Sands” has been “found alive.” However, in the video, it has been claimed that he still remains missing.

by Anonymousreply 149March 1, 2023 1:44 AM

Perhaps Julian met a comely young member of the Baldy ski patrol. Love at first sight and all that. They could have been holed up at a motel in Victorville these past few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 150March 1, 2023 1:55 AM

[quote] holed up at a motel in Victorville

My idea of paradise!

by Anonymousreply 151March 1, 2023 2:26 AM

I loved his tortured composer schtick in Impromptu, opposite Bernadette Peters.

by Anonymousreply 152March 1, 2023 5:19 AM

That is MY film.

by Anonymousreply 153March 1, 2023 5:44 AM

Did Miss Bernadette Peters’ use the opportunity that her birthday was to call for more first responders to search the mountains to find him?

by Anonymousreply 154March 1, 2023 6:25 AM

[quote]Poor guy. They're not finding him any time soon under these conditions.

Will Julian become like Ötzi the Ice Man and be unearthed from the ice in several centuries from now?

by Anonymousreply 155March 1, 2023 7:20 AM

I don't care

by Anonymousreply 156March 1, 2023 12:37 PM

^ None of us does.

by Anonymousreply 157March 1, 2023 12:38 PM

The weather on Mount Baldy isn’t getting any better. More snow today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158March 1, 2023 1:23 PM

[quote] Will Julian become like Ötzi the Ice Man and be unearthed from the ice in several centuries from now?

As if...

You know damn well he's going to become the star of our yearly "Bodies of Mt Baldy" (like our "Bodies of Everest" annual threads--with frozen limbs in bright hiking clothes sticking out of the frost.

by Anonymousreply 159March 1, 2023 2:11 PM

[quote]Did Miss Bernadette Peters’ use the opportunity

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 160March 1, 2023 2:14 PM

[quote]A video shared on YouTube five days ago claims in the title that “missing Julian Sands” has been “found alive.” However, in the video, it has been claimed that he still remains missing.

Stupid ass videos like that should be flagged.

by Anonymousreply 161March 1, 2023 2:15 PM

What could have possibly happened?

He should have been home by now.

by Anonymousreply 162March 1, 2023 2:23 PM

Julian looks an awful lot like a more gaunt version of Anders Behring Breivik.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163March 1, 2023 3:30 PM

R163 Anders was good looking when he was young, but like a lot of Scandinavians, he turned into a boiled potato when he reached middle age.

by Anonymousreply 164March 1, 2023 7:37 PM

R164 If there is one prisoner in this world that deserves to be tortured to death it is him.

by Anonymousreply 165March 1, 2023 11:37 PM

Incredible. P

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166March 2, 2023 2:53 PM

Clearly a case of heatstroke.

by Anonymousreply 167March 2, 2023 7:27 PM

It was murrrrder!

by Anonymousreply 168March 2, 2023 10:12 PM

I know Julian’s eldest son came to LA within days of Julian going missing. He is also an experienced hiker and he was to have traced Julian’s steps accompanied by a San Bernardino official who was experienced with the terrain. I never heard anything about the outcome of that. I haven’t read anything about Julian’s two younger sons. I wonder where they are and how they’re handling all this. Julian’s wife, at least, made a public comment about a month ago thanking the people involved in the search effort. I guess this whole thing isn’t that interesting to most of the public.

by Anonymousreply 169March 3, 2023 12:54 AM

Henry Sands hasn't commented more since January.

by Anonymousreply 170March 3, 2023 3:15 AM

What comment is there to be made? "Well, he's clearly dead, hopefully we get to bury him sometime this year?"

by Anonymousreply 171March 3, 2023 3:40 AM

[quote]Henry Sands hasn't commented more since January.

Neither has Susan Dey.😶

by Anonymousreply 172March 3, 2023 10:21 AM

Heard on the news yesterday, that the search is halted for now - due to avalanche risks.

by Anonymousreply 173March 3, 2023 10:28 AM

Do they search for that long when a "normal" person disappear?

by Anonymousreply 174March 3, 2023 10:31 AM

Mount Baldy closed again due to avalanche risk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175March 3, 2023 1:30 PM

nobody knows how he died ? he just disappeared ? easy, the dinghy was probably banging against the hull, and he tried to tie it tighter, slipped and fell to his death

by Anonymousreply 176March 3, 2023 8:54 PM

This mountain opens and closes more than a whore’s legs.

by Anonymousreply 177March 3, 2023 9:21 PM

I read that in the nineteenth century, huge blocks of ice were harvested from Mt. Baldy during the warm months, taken by mule train to Los Angeles, and sold for cooling purposes. Julian’s body is probably well preserved under a slab of ice, waiting for his last public appearance.

by Anonymousreply 178March 4, 2023 12:11 AM

I went and checked every cabin on Lake Piru, TWICE. He's not there.

by Anonymousreply 179March 4, 2023 1:18 AM

R179 I TOLD you, he’s in a motel in Victorville.

by Anonymousreply 180March 4, 2023 1:27 AM

The My. Baldy ski slopes are open, but there’s also a “severe weather alert.”

by Anonymousreply 181March 6, 2023 9:17 PM

Why are we still talking about this pasty bitch?

He’s gone. GONE! May the wind scatter his bones.

by Anonymousreply 182March 6, 2023 9:50 PM

The bones are still frozen under snow and ice waiting for the spring thaw to roll about.

by Anonymousreply 183March 6, 2023 9:54 PM

Vultures could have dug them out, surely?

by Anonymousreply 184March 6, 2023 9:59 PM

Vultures aren't equipped to dig. And that takes too much energy anyway, they're not really into exertion.

by Anonymousreply 185March 6, 2023 10:25 PM

They’re fuckin’ layabout LEECHES!

by Anonymousreply 186March 6, 2023 10:31 PM

But we don’t know Miss Sands died in an avalanche. He could have fallen and hit his head, and the vultures swooped in immediately?

Or an eagle could have carried him off to a nest?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187March 6, 2023 10:35 PM

A nest with a view.

by Anonymousreply 188March 6, 2023 10:37 PM

I'm over Mt Baldy, when does the Everest season begin?

by Anonymousreply 189March 6, 2023 10:37 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190March 6, 2023 10:39 PM

[quote]R188 A nest with a view.

Okay, this made me laugh!

[italic]Have they checked the nests around the lake ? !

by Anonymousreply 191March 6, 2023 10:45 PM

[quote] Have they checked the nests around the lake ? !

This isn’t Lord of the Rings.

by Anonymousreply 192March 6, 2023 10:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193March 6, 2023 11:07 PM

In California, the biggest carrion-eating bird is the condor. It was nearly extinct, but has been re-established in some areas, primarily in Southern California. The Los Angeles Zoo has a successful captive breeding program. These huge birds are beautiful in flight. If they’re feeding on Julian’s corpse, I think he would approve. Bon appetit!

by Anonymousreply 194March 6, 2023 11:33 PM

Could a condor have carried him off?

by Anonymousreply 195March 6, 2023 11:34 PM

It was the Wendigo!!!!

by Anonymousreply 196March 6, 2023 11:36 PM

R195 It’s possible a condor could have carried him off. They’re huge, with a wingspan of 9.5 feet, or 3 meters.

by Anonymousreply 197March 6, 2023 11:38 PM

I ight now he’s being double teamed by a wendigo and Sasquatch

by Anonymousreply 198March 7, 2023 12:09 AM

Well, there’s our answer, then.

by Anonymousreply 199March 7, 2023 12:17 AM

Julian will be starring in a very different remake make of Three Days of the Condor depending on the number of days upon which he is finally found.

by Anonymousreply 200March 7, 2023 2:01 AM

The condor could be a movie buff who’s keeping him alive in its nest on grubs and worms. This could still have a happy ending!

by Anonymousreply 201March 7, 2023 2:05 AM

So the Condor is Misery, a super fan? Has the Condor broken his leg so he can’t escape?

by Anonymousreply 202March 7, 2023 2:14 AM

[quote[ the Condor is Misery

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203March 7, 2023 2:28 AM

R203 Are you saying Andrew Garfield should play the Condor Misery in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 204March 7, 2023 2:32 AM

That's no Andrew Garfield.

by Anonymousreply 205March 7, 2023 2:40 AM

R194 I want a sky burial :(

he's so lucky!

by Anonymousreply 206March 7, 2023 2:50 AM

R295 If not Andy, who?

by Anonymousreply 207March 7, 2023 2:58 AM

[quote] If not Andy, who?

Andy yes. Garfield no.

Murray aka Misery.

by Anonymousreply 208March 7, 2023 3:21 AM

I myself am sick of famous human actors taking roles away from animals who’ve paid their dues for YEARS in commercials, etc. Surely there’s an industry condor out there who can play the role. Isn’t there one in a current life insurance ad?

#ByCondors4Condors

by Anonymousreply 209March 7, 2023 3:21 AM

R209 This is why I’m bothered by Andy Garfield coming in an stealing the role, another Brit playing a proud American Condor, unconscionable!

by Anonymousreply 210March 7, 2023 4:10 AM

A strange way to die

by Anonymousreply 211March 7, 2023 5:06 AM

Had to be posted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212March 7, 2023 5:38 AM

^^ more Species Appropriation.

Enough, Hollywood!

by Anonymousreply 213March 7, 2023 5:48 AM

Max Irons played the lead role in the "Condor" series a couple years ago.

Showed off his nice ass:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214March 7, 2023 7:27 AM

This commercial used ducks instead of condors. They’ve been shut out of the industry for too long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215March 7, 2023 7:41 AM

A dingo ate my Julian!

by Anonymousreply 216March 7, 2023 10:22 AM

R215 Duckwashing is no longer acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 217March 7, 2023 1:45 PM

Perhaps he fell down a rabbit hole and is hibernating in a cozy burrow with his new family of friendly woodland creatures.

by Anonymousreply 218March 7, 2023 3:10 PM

El Condor Pasa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219March 7, 2023 5:44 PM

I hope his frozen zombie comes stumbling into Los Angeles this spring looking for vengeance

by Anonymousreply 220March 8, 2023 3:43 AM

vengeance for what ? his lack of talent ?

by Anonymousreply 221March 8, 2023 8:38 AM

So I went hiking alone in the Arizona desert today, which some of you would consider a huge no-no. I didn't go far, I checked the weather and the cell phone reception, I carried a pole to help me stabilize on sand-covered rocks, I had water, hat, sunblock, map, etc.. But I did it, because I really, really, wanted to be out in the desert! Why be alive at all, if you aren't going to do what you love, even if it means risk? I mean I broke my leg hiking two years ago, I know things can go wrong, but dammit I'm going to do what I love, just take some reasonable precautions.

I mean I admire Sands's badassery, he'd climb the highest mountains, but climbing that mountain during the fiercest storm the region had had in decades was just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 222March 8, 2023 9:18 AM

I understand what you’re saying about the joys of being in the wilderness. As I said upthread, as long as a hiker has the proper experience, gear, and lets someone know where they’ll be and time of return, I can’t be critical. Though it’s safer to hike with someone, that’s marginally less important.

People who criticize hikers for occasionally requiring public rescue services only have a point if inexperienced and improperly equipped persons require help. Our tax dollars go to many public services we’ll never use (or may not even approve of). Julian did all the right things and I don’t begrudge the search efforts for him.

by Anonymousreply 223March 8, 2023 2:03 PM

I disagree. If you are willing to take the risk to go hiking on your own, no searches should be made by anybody except your own family or friends willing to take that on themselves. No public resources should be used for your rescue.

by Anonymousreply 224March 8, 2023 11:05 PM

I thought he is assumed to have slipped in an area that was exposed to more rain than usual? Truly, an accident.

by Anonymousreply 225March 9, 2023 12:40 AM

Why do comments like R224 remind me of how the Bush administration delayed in helping people after Hurricane Katrina. They were told to evacuate and didn't so you will not be helped and deserve to die. There is something wrong with that kind of thinking.

by Anonymousreply 226March 9, 2023 12:50 AM

R225 It was snow and ice. Mount Baldy is notorious for its ice hazards. Julian probably slipped on an icy trail and tumbled 500 to 900 feet to his death.

by Anonymousreply 227March 9, 2023 12:50 AM

Things can happen to hikers through no fault of their own - they could be attacked by a bear, shot by some idiot hunter, trip on a log and break their leg...a million different scenarios. I think there should certainly be some initial search and rescue effort, but in Julian's case...it's been almost 2 months. Time to give it up.

by Anonymousreply 228March 9, 2023 1:16 AM

I think this is a recovery mission, the family wants a body to bury

by Anonymousreply 229March 9, 2023 1:19 AM

R229 Then let them pay.

by Anonymousreply 230March 9, 2023 1:23 AM

R226 Taking a hike on Mount Baldy during wintry stormy weather is no joke. It is being irresponsible and others shouldn't also risk themselves and spend public resources because of them. Mount Baldy which has some challenging and even treacherous trails. Comparing that to a natural disaster which the Bush Administration didn't take serious enough is a very poor analogy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231March 9, 2023 1:35 AM

Another thing about Baldy is since it’s the highest peak in the San Gabriel Mountains, it takes the full brunt of the wind. It’s always extremely windy there, and I’ve seen hikers blown off their feet by the wind. The storm that hit while Julian was on the mountain is said to have been accompanied by gale-force winds. Coupled with icy trails, Julian’s hike that weekend was almost an act of suicide.

by Anonymousreply 232March 9, 2023 1:44 AM

[quote] Another thing about Baldy is since it’s the highest peak in the San Gabriel Mountains, it takes the full brunt of the wind

I guess that’s why Sands looked so weathered the last couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 233March 9, 2023 2:25 AM

A condor could carry him off, but it would take 3 days.

by Anonymousreply 234March 9, 2023 9:40 AM

He's gone with the wind.

by Anonymousreply 235March 9, 2023 11:20 AM

[quote]Taking a hike on Mount Baldy during wintry stormy weather is no joke. It is being irresponsible and others shouldn't also risk themselves and spend public resources because of them.

The conditions were icier than anyone knew, and that was the problem. I've been looking at news articles and none of them say it stormed that morning. That Tack Sappington guy who was rescued the same day Sands disappeared said the problem was ice that had already built up in the area. There was also the older hiker who was rescued, Jin Chung, who had expected a short hike but got caught by the ice. Another hiker was interviewed saying that the conditions were so much worse than he'd been told.

Also the hiker found dead was an experienced hiker with years of hiking under his belt.

I just don't think everyone was being irresponsible, I think there was a lack of information about the conditions and people were caught off guard.

by Anonymousreply 236March 9, 2023 11:51 AM

R236 I’ve been reading about this since the day Julian went missing. Although there was a lot of snow and ice on Baldy, the day Julian went missing was not especially stormy, though hiking conditions were severe due to the snow and ice already on the ground .The storm was due to begin the next day. Julian’s wife called the local sheriff just before 7:30 pm on the day he was due to return. I remember being impressed that the sheriff started a ground search that same evening, even though the storm was beginning. A ground search was continued the next day in the thick of the storm.

by Anonymousreply 237March 9, 2023 1:03 PM

R236, r237 The website for Angeles National Forest for the period when Julian went missing indicated “extreme alpine conditions” on Mt. Baldy. You can’t get more dire than that. Julian was on a day hike, so his plan was to miss the worst of the oncoming storm, but conditions were already quite severe.

That Tack Sappington idiot was rescued even before the worst weather hit. He had no equipment and obviously hadn’t read up on current mountain conditions. You can’t get more irresponsible than that.

by Anonymousreply 238March 9, 2023 1:30 PM

Can't they close the access roads and parking lots when there is an extreme weather warning? Maybe it wouldn't deter every idiot, but you don't want to make it easy for them either.

by Anonymousreply 239March 9, 2023 1:42 PM

R239 They might soon require a permit to hike the mountain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240March 9, 2023 2:13 PM

[quote]They might soon require a permit to hike the mountain.

Are they going to deputize mountain goats to check permits?

by Anonymousreply 241March 9, 2023 3:34 PM

He didn’t go off to Jill himself, did he? How soon before we hear that there’s been sightings of him in South America?

by Anonymousreply 242March 9, 2023 3:47 PM

R242 I’ve wondered if this was a suicide.

by Anonymousreply 243March 9, 2023 3:51 PM

Hiking Mt Baldy is a little dicey even in the summer. I passed out briefly (MARY!) so I definitely wouldn't want to go if there was any amount of snow or ice on the trail.

by Anonymousreply 244March 9, 2023 3:52 PM

Julian and Jill walk up a bald hill…

by Anonymousreply 245March 9, 2023 4:09 PM

I’m 62 and have been hiking in Southern California since I was eight years old. I’ve reached the summit of Mt. Baldy many dozens of times, but only when the trail is dry. Anyone who has hiked in Southern California will be familiar with the combination of loose shale and sand which comprises most trails. Baldy is no different. After decades of hiking on this kind of unstable terrain, I know how to navigate a trail and maintain secure footing. People who aren’t used to this easily get into trouble. Much of the distance of the several trails to the Baldy summit are very narrow, with drops of hundreds of feet on either side. Also, many sections of the trail are not relatively flat, but are at an approximate angle of 45 degrees. Hiking in this kind of terrain is hazardous and requires both skill and vigilance. On top of all this, the winds on Baldy are ever-present and extremely strong. Every year, hikers are blown off their feet, sometimes to their deaths.

Mt. Baldy is known for its copious amounts of ice during the winter months. When ice is added to the other risks on the mountain, it is, to me, unconscionable to try to hike it.

by Anonymousreply 246March 9, 2023 4:25 PM

When Crystal Gonzales fell more than 500 feet to her death on Mount Baldy about a month ago, it was said that the strong winds were making hikers unsteady on their feet. In addition, large chunks of ice were rolling down the mountain, striking hikers on the trail. That entire mountain is bad news in the winter.

by Anonymousreply 247March 9, 2023 6:58 PM

California has been under drought conditions for years. People who hike were unprepared for the drastic change of weather conditions. I am guessing Sands and the others have hiked these trails for years with no issues.

by Anonymousreply 248March 9, 2023 8:21 PM

According to IMDb, Julian has six films yet to be released. That’s a lot, more than he’s had in any single prior year.

by Anonymousreply 249March 9, 2023 8:22 PM

A mother of four and very experienced hiker died after sliding more than 500 feet down Mount Baldy on Sunday, CBS Los Angeles reports.

Referred to as the "Hiking Queen" by her friends and family, Crystal Paula Gonzalez documented her most recent hike up the 10,000-foot mountain on Facebook. She detailed the dangerous conditions as an uncontrollable column of ice rolled downhill right past her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250March 9, 2023 9:15 PM

It seems as though hikers are dying on Mount Baldy or are needing to be rescued from it every other day.

by Anonymousreply 251March 9, 2023 9:19 PM

[quote] I’m 62 and have been hiking in Southern California since I was eight years old

Who else stopped reading at this point?

by Anonymousreply 252March 9, 2023 9:22 PM

R252 No one rang for you, heifer.

by Anonymousreply 253March 9, 2023 9:26 PM

R252 It got worse.

by Anonymousreply 254March 9, 2023 9:29 PM

"[R242] I’ve wondered if this was a suicide."

If a super-fit mountain-loving hiker wanted to commit suicide, I doubt they'd choose a place where falling to your death means hitting 200 million boulders on the way down, needing to bring rescue services out into storm conditions, or knowing your family would probably never find the remains. Better to go to Yosemite and let go while free-climbing El Capitan or Royal Arches, that way the final impact would be instantaneous and the bits would be easier to find.

by Anonymousreply 255March 9, 2023 9:52 PM

I googled what would happen to a dead body after 2 months. It isn’t pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256March 9, 2023 10:34 PM

If a girl isn't pretty ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257March 9, 2023 10:37 PM

R256 But Julian’s body is likely frozen solid. It’s going to be quite a while before he defrosts and decomposition sets in.

by Anonymousreply 258March 9, 2023 10:39 PM

[quote]R247 it was said that the strong winds were making hikers unsteady on their feet. In addition, large chunks of ice were rolling down the mountain, striking hikers on the trail.

Hilarious!

god I’d like to see that! Maybe as a reality show?

by Anonymousreply 259March 9, 2023 10:43 PM

A Mt. Baldy blooper reel? Make sure it's set to the opening music of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Benny Hill music would be too frenetic.

by Anonymousreply 260March 9, 2023 10:56 PM

This footage does not represent an experienced or responsible hiker.

She's taking a selfie in the dark. Her attire is skimpy enough to indicate the weather was warm and the trail was not covered with snow or ice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261March 9, 2023 11:01 PM

Who wears a full face of makeup for strenuous activities?

by Anonymousreply 262March 9, 2023 11:25 PM

R262 Hispanic women. They’re all hot tamales.

by Anonymousreply 263March 9, 2023 11:26 PM

Would t that be Shitty for your skin?

by Anonymousreply 264March 9, 2023 11:35 PM

[quote]r260 A Mt. Baldy blooper reel? Make sure it's set to the opening music of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Benny Hill music would be too frenetic.

You don’t mess with the classics!

Sliding on ice and Benny Hill music are a match made in Heaven : )

You KNOW this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265March 9, 2023 11:35 PM

Here’s the story of a woman who was nearly blown off Mt. Baldy by 60 mph winds. She had to abandon her hike because of the dangerous winds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266March 9, 2023 11:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267March 9, 2023 11:42 PM

I do suspect the wind was a factor. One theory of mine is that since the wind was probably from the west that day, the trail up to the high ridge was comparatively sheltered, and a hiker would not be prepared for the kind of winds that would be hitting the high ridge. Probably in gusts.

We'll never know exactly what happened, the odds of the body being found at all aren't great, considering the kind of rocky brushy terrain it probably feel into, and a corpse won't tell us exactly how it got there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268March 9, 2023 11:48 PM

R268 Hi- Your link doesn’t open to anything for me.

by Anonymousreply 269March 10, 2023 1:32 AM

R269, I have fixed R268's link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270March 10, 2023 8:29 AM

Didn't someone on a previous thread mention that he brings wine on his kikes? He was a tragedy waiting to happen!

by Anonymousreply 271March 10, 2023 10:03 AM

<- Oh that's not right, Jewish forced labor.

by Anonymousreply 272March 10, 2023 10:23 AM

R270 Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 273March 10, 2023 12:14 PM

R271. Yes, Julian mentioned in an interview that he usually took wine with him when he hiked. Maybe he died happy.

by Anonymousreply 274March 10, 2023 12:28 PM

R270 There’s almost no snow in that photo, just a bit near the summit. Must have been taken in the summer. You get a really good idea how steep the sides of Baldy Bowl are. The trail is at the top, and it’s very narrow. Easy to see how someone could get into trouble. There would be no surviving a fall from that trail.

by Anonymousreply 275March 10, 2023 12:34 PM

[quote]Maybe he died happy.

I know I would! 🍷

by Anonymousreply 276March 10, 2023 12:35 PM

More freeze-thaw-freeze conditions today, so Baldy is making more ice to kill people with.

by Anonymousreply 277March 10, 2023 12:47 PM

Wet Slab Avalanche warning in effect for Mt. Baldy.

by Anonymousreply 278March 10, 2023 9:53 PM

I listen to EDM. EDM must be heard at elevated volumes. My iPhone buzzes when the earbud is blasting at a higher volume. Why not insert buzzers for people hiking in treacherous conditions?

by Anonymousreply 279March 10, 2023 10:00 PM

Julian leaving Mr. Chow restaurant in Beverly Hills. What a hassle having to deal with those autograph hounds and photographers. He finally gets into a car being driven by his wife and off they go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280March 10, 2023 10:18 PM

R280 I went to an event at the Hammer Museum in Los Angeles several years ago where Julian’s wife gave a reading of some of her work. I really can’t remember if Julian was there or not.

by Anonymousreply 281March 10, 2023 10:22 PM

[quote]R280 What a hassle having to deal with those autograph hounds and photographers.

The day the crowd disappears is the day a star dies inside.

by Anonymousreply 282March 10, 2023 10:23 PM

R28 - do you expect him to ignore his fans? They're life and death to him, baby. They're the ones who really made him.

by Anonymousreply 283March 10, 2023 10:40 PM

Maybe he got drunk and naked like those north English skanks in the winter

by Anonymousreply 284March 10, 2023 11:14 PM

Here’s an LA hiking guru who says DON’T HIKE IN THE SNOW. “Think of your own safety plus the safety of those who will risk their lives having to help you if you get into trouble.” This means you, Julian. Mt. Baldy’s specific dangers are mentioned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285March 10, 2023 11:34 PM

What I’m most looking forward to in tomorrow’s Oscars is whether Julian will be included in the In Memoriam segment.

by Anonymousreply 286March 11, 2023 7:05 PM

Will they have a "Still Missing" segment?

by Anonymousreply 287March 11, 2023 7:12 PM

All of Lake Tahoe at risk of 'widespread avalanche activity'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288March 11, 2023 7:14 PM

I’m losing hope.

by Anonymousreply 289March 11, 2023 7:22 PM

[quote]What I’m most looking forward to in tomorrow’s Oscars is whether Julian will be included in the In Memoriam segment.

You're seriously wondering about that? No, he will not be included. He hasn't been declared dead. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 290March 11, 2023 7:32 PM

Someone pissed in r290's Wheaties this morning.

by Anonymousreply 291March 11, 2023 7:40 PM

[quote] Julian leaving Mr. Chow restaurant in Beverly Hills. a hassle having to deal with those autograph hounds

it's horrible, what an ordeal, just like "the killing fields" but worse; Also, what is a "restaurant" ?

by Anonymousreply 292March 12, 2023 1:12 PM

Is he dead yet?

by Anonymousreply 293March 12, 2023 1:31 PM

More freeze-thaw-freeze conditions for the rest of this week at a minimum. Mount Baldy is going to be nearly solid ice for the foreseeable future. It will be more of a death trap than usual. Good luck, Julian hunters!

by Anonymousreply 294March 12, 2023 2:49 PM

The clock is running out for him to be in the Memoriam section if he’s not found pronto, I hope they have an edit with him ready to go just in case. Perhaps it will be a breaking story during the telecast, a sweeping audience shot with all of them having their phones pinging at the same time! A shriek from the audience! Helena Bonham Carter’s collapse! Maggie Smith looking stoic with her stiff British upper lip! John Malkovich inconsolable, EMS guys giving him a sedative as he’s wheeled out on a gurney! This all could really bury that memory of the slap for sure!

by Anonymousreply 295March 12, 2023 4:09 PM

It would be great if they announced a surprise guest star to introduce the In Memoriam tribute…..and out walks Julian.

by Anonymousreply 296March 12, 2023 4:20 PM

Was he in any of the leprechaun movies?

by Anonymousreply 297March 12, 2023 8:16 PM

R297! I don’t know if he was in any Leprechaun movies, but based on what we saw in A Room With a View, he’s hung like a leprechaun.

by Anonymousreply 298March 12, 2023 8:23 PM

R296 - that would be in bad taste - even by Hollywood standards.

by Anonymousreply 299March 12, 2023 10:28 PM

He's going to run down the aisle and slap Jada Pinkett.

by Anonymousreply 300March 12, 2023 11:26 PM

Was Julian mentioned in the Oscars ceremony? I had the show on but didn’t really pay a lot of attention to it, so I may have missed it.

by Anonymousreply 301March 13, 2023 3:35 AM

R301 No, it did not.

by Anonymousreply 302March 13, 2023 5:40 AM

Is he likely to have been consumed by animals at this stage?

by Anonymousreply 303March 13, 2023 8:05 AM

He's likely to be under several feet of snow and frozen solid at this point, R303, so no. The animals will have to wait until he's freeze-dried.

by Anonymousreply 304March 13, 2023 8:09 AM

I see. Thanks, r304.

by Anonymousreply 305March 13, 2023 8:27 AM

I feel like anyone who calls herself "Hiking Queen" deserves a bit of a comeuppance.

by Anonymousreply 306March 13, 2023 9:26 AM

Did anyone at the Oscars make a plea for more search parties to look for Julian? Perhaps a human chain of actors to traverse the Mount after a lavish brunch the next day?

by Anonymousreply 307March 13, 2023 9:39 AM

Have the GLEE fans tweeted anything?

by Anonymousreply 308March 13, 2023 9:44 AM

I'm surprised that Helena Bonham Carter, Maggie Smith, Daniel Day Lewis and his other 'Room With A View' co-stars haven't said anything.

by Anonymousreply 309March 13, 2023 9:51 AM

Why?

by Anonymousreply 310March 13, 2023 10:32 AM

R308 No, but there’s been much mention in this thread about checking the cabins for him!

by Anonymousreply 311March 13, 2023 12:15 PM

Not only Julian was not mentioned, Anne Heche wasn’t mentioned, either.

by Anonymousreply 312March 13, 2023 2:31 PM

How’s about AnnE, was she mentioned at all?

by Anonymousreply 313March 13, 2023 2:32 PM

It's pronounced Hoo-lian!

by Anonymousreply 314March 13, 2023 2:35 PM

Si si, Hoo-lian! Ay, pobrecito!

by Anonymousreply 315March 15, 2023 7:06 PM

Actor Donal Logue posted a tribute to Julian on Facebook today.

"Julian Sands went missing over two months ago while climbing Mount Baldy in stormy conditions. Every time I look to the east, to the snow capped San Gabriel mountains, I think Julian is up there. Somewhere.

I knew him like millions around the world did, through his work, but I also knew Julian from work. We did two gigs together-- Wim Wenders "The Million Dollar Hotel" and "Gotham." Meeting Julian was like meeting a rock star. After "A Room With a View" and "The Killing Fields," he was a bonafide superstar. Beautiful, intelligent, passionate, a little dangerous, he had so many qualities rolled into one it was almost unfair. But Julian's greatest quality (I was to discover) was his kindness and gentle nature. On all-night shoots, Julian was the guy I paired off with for lunch breaks at one in the morning. We instantly fell in step and talked life, family. He was funny. He was incredibly humble. He was proof (to steal a phrase from Tim Minear) that "God does indeed give with both hands."

I stepped outside today and felt the warmth of spring approaching and thought, Soon, Julian will be found and be with his family."

by Anonymousreply 316March 18, 2023 9:37 PM

[quote]Every time I look to the east, to the snow capped San Gabriel mountains, I think Julian is up there. Somewhere.

He is.

by Anonymousreply 317March 18, 2023 10:26 PM

I enjoyed him in Boxing Helena

by Anonymousreply 318March 19, 2023 1:02 AM

R316 "Soon, Julian will be found and be with his family.""

Um, in what capacity?

by Anonymousreply 319March 19, 2023 1:31 AM

We instantly fell in step

You mean like chorus boys?

by Anonymousreply 320March 19, 2023 1:39 AM

[quote]R316 "Soon, Julian will be found and be with his family.""

[quote]Um, in what capacity?

Did you miss the part about the arrival of spring? He meant that his body will be found once the snow melts and his family can bury him. Must everything be spelled out for you?

by Anonymousreply 321March 19, 2023 1:53 AM

Mount Baldy is notorious for its ice. Constantly fluctuating temperature causes its snow to briefly melt and then refreeze as ice. That prolongs the melting period, so spring is delayed on the mountain. Julian went missing relatively early in the winter cycle, so he’s probably under tons of ice. If he’s ever found, it will probably be in the summer or later.

by Anonymousreply 322March 19, 2023 2:41 PM

R309: there is such a thing as mourning privately.

by Anonymousreply 323March 19, 2023 2:46 PM

More snow is predicted for this area. An usual amount of precipitation all season long that makes recovery unfeasible.

by Anonymousreply 324March 19, 2023 3:05 PM

Will he be well preserved?

by Anonymousreply 325March 19, 2023 3:08 PM

Won’t his skin turn black and rot? I guess his bones will be r325 but weather and animals might scatter them.

by Anonymousreply 326March 19, 2023 8:00 PM

There are bears and coyotes in the area that could feed on his carcass and that would likely scatter his bones. Hopefully his body will be found before that could happen.

by Anonymousreply 327March 19, 2023 8:04 PM

[quote]Will he be well preserved?

Yes, in olive oil, a little bit of vinegar and salt! Yummo!

by Anonymousreply 328March 19, 2023 9:54 PM

I suspect his remains will be someday found in a ravine. A mountain gulch that he fell into, and out of sight. If he lived through that, it was likely with broken bones or a spinal injury where he couldn’t get out of the ravine. What a shame he didn’t have proper emergency equipment, like a beacon. All that technology available, and hikers/skiers will dump big $ on name brand apparel/gear instead.

by Anonymousreply 329March 20, 2023 12:14 PM

Would all of this been resolved the first weekend if he’d just worn an Apple Watch?

by Anonymousreply 330March 20, 2023 2:17 PM

R330 it could’ve been resolved before that if he hadn’t been a stupid selfish asshole.

by Anonymousreply 331March 20, 2023 2:30 PM

We’ve had this discussion previously as to whether Julian was irresponsible or not in hiking alone in adverse weather. We really don’t know what kind of equipment he had with him.

First, I’m an experienced hiker and just a few years younger than him. I’d fault him for going alone, but it’s possible that having a hiking partner wouldn’t have helped. It was only a few weeks ago that two relatively young hikers had to be rescued from a ledge on Mt. Baldy by helicopter. One hiker had fallen onto a ledge and his partner tried to help but also fell into the ledge. They were able to summon help with their cellphone. Julian had his cellphone with him but never tried to call for help. It’s likely that he was completely incapacitated by a fall or simply died in a fall.

Searchers used a Recco device with no luck. This can detect a credit card or other security strip. It’s possible Julian left his wallet and cards in his car. Some hikers do that.

He apparently didn’t have a personal locator beacon. I can remember when these became generally available, and I never acquired one until recently. Julian is from a generation that didn’t rely on these devices. It’s too bad, but sometimes we old-timers don’t keep up with the latest technology.

The only thing I would really fault him for is hiking in winter weather. I’m a very experienced hiker who also went on rigorous climbs when I was younger. But I had taken mountaineering classes and was well-trained. Even so, my skills were limited to dry conditions. Hiking and climbing in snow and ice is very risky and requires a load of specialized skills that I don’t have. With all my experience, I can’t handle ice. I was in Mammoth a little over a month ago and fell flat on my ass the first day when attempting to walk on an icy surface. Fortunately, I wasn’t on a mountain trail. I was just attempting to walk across a restaurant parking lot. If Julian had slipped on ice on just about any Baldy trail, it’s likely he fell to his death. His body is probably at the bottom of Baldy Bowl, encased in ice.

by Anonymousreply 332March 20, 2023 5:28 PM

For his family's sake, I hope his bones will be found sooner rather than later.

by Anonymousreply 333March 20, 2023 5:36 PM

To make bone broth?

by Anonymousreply 334March 20, 2023 5:38 PM

[quote]We really don’t know what kind of equipment he had with him.

Didn't we see it in a movie once?

by Anonymousreply 335March 20, 2023 5:43 PM

Didn’t they get pings from his cellphone in the first day or two? And later I think it had run out of power. One guy sure has caused a lot of trouble. He’s also given us a lot to talk about.

by Anonymousreply 336March 20, 2023 9:48 PM

Are you saying Sands pinged?

by Anonymousreply 337March 20, 2023 9:53 PM

I read that Sands first climbed Mount Baldy several decades ago when he first visited LA. He often climbed it whenever he visited. Once he moved to LA permanently, it was his favourite place to spend his time. He must have known the trails well. John Malkovich was probably right that something drastic and irreversible happened. It’s too bad he had to go out this way.

by Anonymousreply 338March 20, 2023 10:24 PM

More heavy snow forecast for Mt. Baldy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339March 20, 2023 10:47 PM

I’ve actually got a couple of friends who are heading out to Baldy for some skiing soon. There’s still plenty of snow, and more is on the way. I hike on Baldy in the summer and fall, but I haven’t skied the mountain in several years. It’s too close to LA, so it can attract a crowd. As with hikers, its proximity to LA makes it seem familiar and friendly to skiers, and there’s a tendency to underestimate its challenges. Just as the mountain can be treacherous to hikers, it can also be treacherous to skiers. Only about 20% of the slopes are suitable for skiers of average ability. The majority of the slopes are more suitable to advanced or expert skiers. Some of the upper slopes actually border steep cliffs and skiers have to know the terrain really well to safely ski there. It’s a little surprising that not as many skiers as hikers get into trouble there.

by Anonymousreply 340March 20, 2023 11:10 PM

"The only thing I would really fault him for is hiking in winter weather. "

Agreed. I keep posting about hiking alone, which is something I do all the time, but I know my limits and have common sense! I do go hiking alone, but I don't go hiking with a metal walking stick in thunderstorms. and face it, hiking Mt. Baldy while the worst storms to hit SoCal in decades are going on was about that sensible.

He wasn't a native, he didn't spend all his time in the region, I don't think he had any idea what kind of conditions he'd be facing high on the trail.

by Anonymousreply 341March 20, 2023 11:24 PM

R341 It’s true Julian wasn’t a native, but he’d lived in LA for the past four years or so. I’d think he’d be familiar with the weather, but it’s true that this year’s winter is/was unusual. But he’d obviously have had access to the current weather report. Since most of Los Angeles has such relatively mild weather year round, he probably just underestimated how extreme the weather can be at a higher elevation. He seems to have been very well liked by people. His likely death is a real tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 342March 21, 2023 3:20 PM

There is indeed such a thing as mourning privately, for example his wife and children might not want to share their feelings with the world. They are his loved ones, it's only natural. When my dad died, I didn't want to talk about my feelings, I was too busy crying my eyes out But Helena et al, come one! They could have said something nice, honor him in that way.

Julian Sands Is/was an amazing actor. I don't know much about him but I have seen his movies and I know he loved poetry (Pinter, Keats etc). Some people say he was a bad actor. Obviously such people have not seen his movies or heard him read poetry.

I hope he is happy on top of the world, on a heavenly mountain, drinking great wine, communing with goddesses and gods.

by Anonymousreply 343March 21, 2023 10:12 PM

AND THERE’S STILL MORE SNOW COMING DOWN!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344March 22, 2023 1:09 AM

R344- It will probably be a long time until they find him, if ever. I sympathize with his family. It has to be very difficult to not know where his remains are.

by Anonymousreply 345March 22, 2023 1:14 AM

R340 You’re right about Mount Baldy being a challenging ski venue. Some of the slopes are incredibly steep and only the most experienced skiers can handle them. I avoid the worst bits, but even the rest of the mountain is pretty challenging to ski. It’s good that snowboarders are confined to the lowest slopes where people with only average skills ski. It’s weird to think of people having fun and thrills skiing while Julian Sands’ body is somewhere under the snowpack.

by Anonymousreply 346March 22, 2023 1:32 AM

I went to Pomona College, which is at the foot of Mt. Baldy. We used to go up there to play in the snow (not that there was ever very much of it).

One of my professors died in a rockslide on it.

by Anonymousreply 347March 22, 2023 4:40 AM

Mount Baldy? Mount Nasty!

by Anonymousreply 348March 22, 2023 7:35 AM

It makes complete sense to me that most of his celebrity friends/colleagues are remaining quiet until the body is found.

by Anonymousreply 349March 22, 2023 8:54 AM

R349 They’re all frozen with fear!

by Anonymousreply 350March 22, 2023 10:29 AM

R347 One of your professors died in a rockslide on Mount Baldy? Is no one safe at any time on that mountain? It ought to be called Mount Death. L

by Anonymousreply 351March 22, 2023 2:33 PM

That name would be a lot less triggering for me, personally, r351.

by Anonymousreply 352March 22, 2023 2:38 PM

Nineteen inches of fresh snow on Baldy today. Freeze-thaw still going on, so lots of new ice to make everything difficult.

by Anonymousreply 353March 22, 2023 2:44 PM

Skiing in Southern California THROUGH THE END OF JULY!!! Maybe even longer! This is an incredible year. Too bad Julian isn’t around to enjoy it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354March 22, 2023 3:10 PM

Where do the animals go at times like these?

by Anonymousreply 355March 22, 2023 3:21 PM

To Florida, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 356March 22, 2023 3:24 PM

[quote]Where do the animals go at times like these?

Florida.

by Anonymousreply 357March 22, 2023 3:24 PM

R355 Animals just go to lower elevations or hibernate in the winter. For those that typically hibernate, I’m not sure if hibernation for such an extended period is possible.

by Anonymousreply 358March 22, 2023 3:25 PM

Maybe Julian is hibernating.

by Anonymousreply 359March 22, 2023 3:26 PM

R356, R357 Why go all the way to Florida? Palm Springs is much closer and gay-friendly, too

by Anonymousreply 360March 22, 2023 3:27 PM

So, any news?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361March 22, 2023 3:33 PM

[quote]For those that typically hibernate, I’m not sure if hibernation for such an extended period is possible.

I suppose if they were really tired and stayed up late the night before it would be.

by Anonymousreply 362March 22, 2023 3:41 PM

What’s a safer mountain to climb in the LA area?

by Anonymousreply 363March 22, 2023 4:37 PM

Angelyne.

by Anonymousreply 364March 22, 2023 4:43 PM

The foothills.

by Anonymousreply 365March 22, 2023 4:52 PM

More than 800 inches of snow at Mammoth Mountain. I wonder how deep Julian is on Mount Baldy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366March 22, 2023 8:25 PM

He is in me quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 367March 22, 2023 8:31 PM

Nothing good will come of this.

by Anonymousreply 368March 22, 2023 8:33 PM

Mt. Baldy is an insatiable bottom.

by Anonymousreply 369March 22, 2023 9:07 PM

Julian’s movie, Seneca - On the Creation of Earthquakes, opens tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 370March 22, 2023 9:34 PM

I’m curious to read the reviews of “Seneca.” I’m wondering if the reviewers will be kinder than usual to Julian because of what’s happened to him. In the past, his acting hasn’t gotten very good reviews.

by Anonymousreply 371March 22, 2023 9:45 PM

The Hollywood Reporter -

An impressive supporting cast, which includes Mary-Louise Parker, Julian Sands, Geraldine Chaplin and Alexander Fehling. Chaplin has a lively confrontation scene with Seneca, but most of the others have truncated roles that allow them to do little but rant and then depart.

by Anonymousreply 372March 22, 2023 11:08 PM

R372 Uh oh.

by Anonymousreply 373March 22, 2023 11:12 PM

It's not as though Julian will be reading the reviews, R373.

by Anonymousreply 374March 23, 2023 2:06 AM

R363, Mount Wilson is safe, and on top is the old observatory that you can check out. It's a loooong climb though if you're starting at the LA Basin.

by Anonymousreply 375March 23, 2023 2:28 AM

A experienced friend of mine hiked Mt. Baldy one June. He said doing it in bad weather is having a death wish.

by Anonymousreply 376March 23, 2023 2:31 AM

R376 I wouldn't necessarily call it a death wish, but it is having unrealistic expectations that your experience will always be manageable and survivable.

by Anonymousreply 377March 23, 2023 2:34 AM

R375 Agree. LA’s charming old Mount Wilson Observatory, which dates from 1904, is a great end to a hike on Mount Wilson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378March 23, 2023 2:47 AM

R376 If not a death wish, then hiking on Mt. Baldy’s narrow, precipitous trails while being buffeted by gale-force winds would at least require a nonchalant acceptance of the possibility of death.

by Anonymousreply 379March 23, 2023 2:54 AM

He knew the weather was shit, and still chose to go.

by Anonymousreply 380March 23, 2023 3:11 AM

"Yeah, I can do this!"

by Anonymousreply 381March 23, 2023 11:12 AM

Here is a brief but very nice little piece about Julian from Australia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382March 23, 2023 2:50 PM

Complete review of “Seneca” from the Hollywood Reporter. It’s called “a lame historical lampoon.” Oh, dear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383March 23, 2023 6:20 PM

R363 The Valley of the Dolls.

by Anonymousreply 384March 23, 2023 6:39 PM

R384 Actually, it sounds like Seneca- On The Creation of Earthquakes might rival The Valley of the Dolls in profundity.

by Anonymousreply 385March 23, 2023 7:59 PM

Deadline review. No special mention of Julian among the gaggle of idle rich but "As a film Seneca is almost unendurable...Malkovich truly delivers on the character’s pomposity, but for an actor to be so unbearable that the entire audience is willing him to take a double dose of hemlock is something of an own goal."

by Anonymousreply 386March 24, 2023 4:15 AM

George Sands never has these problems, but would probably be arrested in Tennessee nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 387March 24, 2023 7:32 AM

I’ve read several reviews of “Seneca” but not a single one mentions Julian. That’s consistent, though, with his film career. He was not a memorable actor, he was merely likable. In the film that is constantly mentioned when writing about him, A Room With A View, he was very undistinguished. I haven’t seen that film in many years, and I can recall numerous stand-out scenes and performances, but I have absolutely no lasting impression of Julian Sands.

by Anonymousreply 388March 24, 2023 2:10 PM

One thing the reviews I've read don't comment on is Geraldine Chaplin's ravaged face.

by Anonymousreply 389March 25, 2023 3:35 AM

R388, Julian Sands made a lasting impression on the gays as a result of this scene:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390March 25, 2023 6:47 AM

I was watching the credits of a movie and the trailers for the set were provided by Vroom with a View. Clever.

by Anonymousreply 391March 25, 2023 8:31 AM

Here’s a good summary of Julian Sands’ disappearance to date.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392March 30, 2023 10:41 PM

At this point, he's going to pop up in somebody's 8 glasses a day. And yuck, I say.

by Anonymousreply 393March 30, 2023 10:43 PM

Snow continues to fall on Mt. Baldy. There was more today and there’s going to be more for the next few days at least.

by Anonymousreply 394March 31, 2023 12:08 AM

Apparently there have been several helicopter rescues on Mount Baldy in recent weeks. Also, hikers are imperiled by large sheets of ice tumbling off the mountain. I don’t know why people continue to climb that deadly mountain when the weather is still so bad. It’s a great, but strenuous, hike and climb in the summer and fall, but I wish people would stay away in the winter.

by Anonymousreply 395March 31, 2023 12:27 AM

Good skiing at Mt. Baldy today. Not such good conditions if you’re looking for a body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396March 31, 2023 2:37 PM

I don't think it's very kindly to call him Mt. Baldy. He still seems to have a decent head of hair.

by Anonymousreply 397March 31, 2023 3:06 PM

Maybe he’s just frozen and we’ll be able to thaw him out one day like Encino man

by Anonymousreply 398March 31, 2023 6:29 PM

I hope they get Madonna to sing Frozen at his funeral.

by Anonymousreply 399March 31, 2023 6:33 PM

We had a bit of rain in LA this morning, so I guess that meant more snow in the mountains. But the weather is expected to be fairly dry and warm for the next week or so, so maybe this will be the beginning of the thaw on Mount Baldy. Julian could make an appearance fairly soon!

by Anonymousreply 400March 31, 2023 7:35 PM

Maybe he's hiding out in the woods like the gals on Yellowjackets!

by Anonymousreply 401March 31, 2023 7:49 PM

Still?

by Anonymousreply 402March 31, 2023 7:54 PM

Why are people still fucking around up there after six feet of snow has fallen?

by Anonymousreply 403March 31, 2023 8:18 PM

I just came across this article about the lure of Mount Baldy. Maybe it’s already been linked in DL, but it’s new to me. It says Julian was hiking the Baldy Bowl trail. I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned exactly where he was hiking before. Anyway, that’s bad! That trail is probably the riskiest route to the summit. If you fall from that, death is certain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404April 1, 2023 2:21 AM

"That trail is probably the riskiest route to the summit. If you fall from that, death is certain."

Is this the trail? Because if so, I can see how it'd be incredibly dangerous on that particular day. It was storming and windy that week, and I'd guess that the bulk of the trail is comparatively sheltered from the wind, until it hits the high open ridge to the left of the giant rocky avalanche chute. Everyone says the trails are icy and rocky at that altitude, and well, what do you think can happen when you combine icy footing, a deadly drop to the right, and dangerous gusts of wind coming from the left? Because the winds *would* have been far stronger on the high ridge, with the dangerous drop on the downwind side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405April 1, 2023 4:42 AM

R405 Yes, that’s the Baldy Bowl trail at the upper part of the photo, near the summit. The trail is very narrow. It’s dangerous in dry weather because underfoot, there’s an unstable mixture of shale and sand. The trail is also not level. As you’re hiking northward for example, the surface of the trail underfoot slants downward east/west, tipping the hiker to the right, making it easy to slip down the side into Baldy Bowl, making death certain. This is the kind of danger hikers face in the summer. In the winter, you’re also dealing with snow and ice. Baldy is notorious for its ice. On many winter days, the temperature can briefly rise, allowing some of the snow to melt. It quickly refreezes, producing ice. Mt. Baldy is frequently called “an ice machine.” In the nineteenth century, ice was harvested in the spring and sold in Los Angeles. Ice obscured by a layer of snow is a trap for hikers. Crampons are great in dealing with snow, but they’re not much help with ice. Baldy also has dangerously strong winds year-round. They’re relentless and often cause hikers to abandon their hike due to the danger. It was only a few years ago that an adult male hiker was blown off the mountain to his death.

What I’m saying in all this is that Baldy is bad news for winter hiking and climbing. I’d never do it.

by Anonymousreply 406April 1, 2023 3:11 PM

Wasn't he familiar with the mountain? Why would he pick such a dangerous day to not only go there, but go hiking alone? Suicide?

by Anonymousreply 407April 1, 2023 3:16 PM

R407 From what I’ve read, Julian had hiked Baldy numerous times. It was supposedly one of his favorite activities whenever he was in LA. After he moved to LA several years ago, he often made day hikes of the mountain. It’s true that the weather was more extreme than usual this winter, but weather reports did warn of an impending storm. He was actually due to conclude his hike on the evening before the storm hit. I don’t think the mountain was any more dangerous than usual when he got into trouble. The really bad weather hit just in time to cause the sheriff’s search team to have problems.

by Anonymousreply 408April 1, 2023 3:27 PM

He was also at an age when outdoorspeople engage in dangerous activities, because they know damn well that their time on the high trails is limited. That's when the age-related changes begin to catch up to even the fittest humans, when the declining stamina and prior injuries begin to affect performance, and they realize The Big Seven Zero is getting very close and soon they'll have to give up the hardest trails or climbs.

Of course they refuse to admit that they should already have given up the hardest trails and climbs, and I've got someone like that in my life. He's in his mid-sixties, super fit and strong, and he's at the point where he keeps heading out on trail I I could never dream about completing, and coming back early because of an injury or illness. He's hurt himself out there alone in the mountains or desert, he's cut himself and developed wound infections a week from civilization and come down with high-altitude pulmonary edema for fuck's sake, and if he doesn't start making concessions to age he's going to die out there alone.

by Anonymousreply 409April 1, 2023 3:45 PM

R409- Not to mention stroke, heart attack, etc. Anything can happen at that age. At the very least he should have had a location detection device.

by Anonymousreply 410April 1, 2023 3:57 PM

R403 Darwinism

by Anonymousreply 411April 1, 2023 7:10 PM

I thought the media had forgotten about Julian, but here’s a news piece that just appeared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412April 2, 2023 12:39 AM

The only thing I remembered him from was Boxing Helena. Thanks to this thread I’m finding out he had a whole career.

by Anonymousreply 413April 2, 2023 12:54 AM

When I look at Julian’s filmography, I’m surprised at how many movies and television shows he’s been in. But it seems like he was pretty much confined to small parts, with only a few exceptions. I’m also a bit surprised at how many things he’s been in that I actually saw, but have no memory of his part in the movie or TV show.

by Anonymousreply 414April 2, 2023 2:07 AM

Enough already!

by Anonymousreply 415April 2, 2023 2:48 AM

[quote]While the search for the actor continues, fans are beginning to expect the worst

NOW they're beginning to expect the worst??

by Anonymousreply 416April 2, 2023 7:28 AM

R416 He has actual fans?

by Anonymousreply 417April 2, 2023 9:29 AM

Perhaps he's just ghosting everyone?

by Anonymousreply 418April 2, 2023 11:52 AM

I think he has fans in the same way Rupert Graves has fans. It's mostly down to one movie (Room With a View of Maurice).

by Anonymousreply 419April 2, 2023 2:31 PM

*or Maurice

by Anonymousreply 420April 2, 2023 2:32 PM

Rupert Graves is pretty cute in Damage as well.

by Anonymousreply 421April 2, 2023 2:35 PM

Rupert Graves is a lot more memorable than Julian. In every way.

by Anonymousreply 422April 2, 2023 2:38 PM

R422, you said it!

by Anonymousreply 423April 2, 2023 4:58 PM

R417 R419 R422 R423 I guess now we’ve reached the “sour grapes” point of this saga.

by Anonymousreply 424April 2, 2023 5:26 PM

R424 We’re all annoyed at Julian for being missing so long.

by Anonymousreply 425April 2, 2023 7:46 PM

I only get 3 threads, and the murdered students get 12?

Why do you hate me?

by Anonymousreply 426April 2, 2023 8:33 PM

R425 Yes, if only he’d have been more popular, we’d have patience. He’s so inconsiderate.

by Anonymousreply 427April 3, 2023 7:49 AM

The winds are so strong that the Mt. Baldy ski resort had to close today.

by Anonymousreply 428April 3, 2023 5:41 PM

pretty windy up here in NorCal as well

by Anonymousreply 429April 3, 2023 5:46 PM

He's a Juliansicle at this point.

by Anonymousreply 430April 3, 2023 5:49 PM

[quote]The winds are so strong that the Mt. Baldy ski resort had to close today.

Of course.

Those winds could really fuck up a combover.

by Anonymousreply 431April 3, 2023 7:04 PM

Yup, Mount Baldy was closed today, April 3, due to high winds. They’ve used this temporary shutdown to groom the slopes. Should be very good skiing tomorrow, Tuesday. With skiing so good on the mountain this year, Julian can wait. Plenty of time to look for him when we have no other diversions.

by Anonymousreply 432April 4, 2023 1:47 AM

R432 The last time I skied Baldy was, I think, four years ago. We took Chair 4 from Top of the Notch to the “Roller Coaster” run. It was an extremely windy day, and our chair was rocking back and forth pretty wildly. If they had to shut down today, the winds must have been extremely powerful.

by Anonymousreply 433April 4, 2023 2:01 AM

R433. I’d feel safer on a ski lift because it at least has a safety bar than I would hiking Mount Baldy in a strong wind. A really powerful gust of wind could send you flying to your death.

by Anonymousreply 434April 4, 2023 2:10 AM

Ski lifts are snowed over in a resort.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435April 4, 2023 2:15 AM

Does anyone know if Julian was a skier? I can’t find any info about that online.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436April 4, 2023 2:23 AM

I went to Big Bear for several days of skiing five days after Julian went missing. The storm that hit SoCal that weekend made for pretty fabulous skiing at Big Bear, but I didn’t fully enjoy it because of thinking of Julian being buried in snow on Mt. Baldy. I’m over that now and am even thinking of taking a day trip to Baldy for some skiing in the next few days. Maybe that’s a bit ghoulish, but Julian is probably buried on the other side of the mountain.

by Anonymousreply 437April 4, 2023 2:43 AM

R424 Sour grapes? Yes, people must be SO jealous of a complete idiot!

by Anonymousreply 438April 4, 2023 4:32 AM

[Quote] but Julian is probably buried on the other side of the mountain.

He'll be coming 'round the mountain when he comes.

by Anonymousreply 439April 4, 2023 5:07 AM

Julian would want you to have fun r437!

by Anonymousreply 440April 4, 2023 5:24 AM

Speaking of record-breaking snow……

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441April 4, 2023 7:07 PM

Well, at least he can't possibly be looking any worse than the photos of him taken in the year before his last stroll.

by Anonymousreply 442April 4, 2023 7:09 PM

It's not fair. California got all our snow this winter. We was robbed.

by Anonymousreply 443April 4, 2023 7:47 PM

Julian couldn’t have picked a better year to go missing in the Californian mountains. He’ll probably keep us in suspense for a good few months.

by Anonymousreply 444April 4, 2023 8:11 PM

Maybe he just needed some time alone.

by Anonymousreply 445April 4, 2023 8:13 PM

Tahoe ski resorts are shattering snow records thanks to late storms

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446April 4, 2023 10:56 PM

If he's found alive who will play him in the BBC movie about his ordeal? I vote for Austin Butler. He's already emaciated and we know he loves accents.

by Anonymousreply 447April 4, 2023 11:41 PM

I rewatched the Killing Fields last night. God that movie packs a real punch and Julian was so dishy in it.

by Anonymousreply 448April 5, 2023 12:02 AM

R447 Jude Law should play him. The hairstyling department wouldn’t have to do too much work.

by Anonymousreply 449April 5, 2023 12:58 AM

So have we pretty much concluded that this dumb old cunt did this on purpose?

by Anonymousreply 450April 5, 2023 5:49 PM

From the very beginning of the thread, I kind of thought he may have taken himself out. Maybe he'd been diagnosed with something or even was starting to get some sort of cognitive and progressive disease and didn't want to end up a shitting, pissing, slobbering old man who was a burden to his family.

But - we may never really know. Until we die that is, then we find out the answers to all the "great" mysteries, but at that point we realize how stupid all the mortal fascinations really were and we don't give a shit.

Yes, I truly do believe that.

by Anonymousreply 451April 5, 2023 5:53 PM

Why is he missing Part Three? It's right here!

by Anonymousreply 452April 5, 2023 6:14 PM

I don’t consider Julian’s disappearance one of the great mysteries

by Anonymousreply 453April 6, 2023 12:48 AM

^ It is, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 454April 6, 2023 1:07 AM

OK, so, when the fuck will they actually decalare JuJu dead?

by Anonymousreply 455April 6, 2023 1:39 AM

He’s gone to join his career

by Anonymousreply 456April 6, 2023 1:45 AM

I don’t think it was suicide, but I do think he knew at some point he’d probably die on the mountain and probably hunkered down and took it all in before his demise. He probably toasted the mountain and said, well played, Sir, well played.”

by Anonymousreply 457April 6, 2023 5:57 AM

Hypothermia isn’t an awful way to go.

by Anonymousreply 458April 6, 2023 7:21 AM

Like you'd know, R458.

by Anonymousreply 459April 6, 2023 7:55 AM

It’s well known R459

by Anonymousreply 460April 6, 2023 8:47 AM

R460, the only way we can settle this is if you go freeze to death, while I get a Ouija board.

Get on with your part of it!

by Anonymousreply 461April 6, 2023 9:53 AM

r4451 Of course he took himself out. It's obvious.

by Anonymousreply 462April 6, 2023 10:06 AM

And Keanu Reeves still walks among us!

by Anonymousreply 463April 6, 2023 5:59 PM

I rewatched "A Room with a View" a couple of weeks ago. I always thought he looked beautiful and I enjoyed some of his scenes, but that his performance was lacking, and I still think so. To me, George is almost a cipher, though a weird one, and the character would be opaque without his father's verbal interpretations. I think someone else could have done a better job. There needed to be a more obvious connection between him and Lucy simmering under the surface. In the end, when Denholm Elliott says, "You love the boy, body and soul," and she breaks down and admits it, I had to wonder where the evidence was. (I've seen this film more than a couple of times--maybe four or five.)

by Anonymousreply 464April 6, 2023 6:09 PM

R464 It’s true that Julian wasn’t much of an actor. He had a striking appearance when he was young, but that’s all he could add to a film. As an actor, he was alternately wooden or self-consciously actorish. In ARWAV, his character is pivotal, but he totally muffs the part. He’s completely forgettable in the role. James Ivory’s next film, Maurice, is one of my favorites. Julian was apparently the first choice to play the title character. Thank god he pulled out. If he couldn’t handle the romantic lines in ARWAV, he would have been a disaster coping with the complex, layered demands of Maurice.

by Anonymousreply 465April 6, 2023 7:37 PM

[quote]Of course he took himself out. It's obvious.

R462 = Miss Cleo

by Anonymousreply 466April 6, 2023 9:31 PM

Did he ever do a Marple? Or a Poirot?

by Anonymousreply 467April 7, 2023 12:45 AM

I love Maurice, too, R465. I can't imagine him pulling off what was needed for the part of Maurice. (I feel like that sentence was one long double entendre.)

by Anonymousreply 468April 7, 2023 1:22 AM

R468 I need to see Maurice again soon. It’s a truly exquisite film. As an American, I wasn’t familiar with James Wilby, but he’s pitch-perfect in the film. It’s amazing that this was his first major film role. Yes, Julian would have been awful in the role. Merchant/Ivory films always have such careful casting that I’m surprised Julian was their first choice.

by Anonymousreply 469April 7, 2023 1:46 AM

R469 Watch Mother Love, with James and Diana Rigg.

by Anonymousreply 470April 7, 2023 2:08 AM

R467, Julian was in a Miss Marple in 2007 called 'Towards Zero' starring Geraldine McEwan. Other guest stars included Tom Baker (Doctor Who), Eileen Atkins, Saffron Burrows and Greg Wise.

by Anonymousreply 471April 7, 2023 7:18 AM

....help.....i am being held captive by condors.....

by Anonymousreply 472April 7, 2023 8:31 AM

We need Miss Marple to investigate what happened to Julian!

by Anonymousreply 473April 7, 2023 6:04 PM

He did not take himself out, he miscalculated the weather conditions of a trail that as an avid hiker had hiked previously without any problems.

by Anonymousreply 474April 7, 2023 7:25 PM

I don’t think this was suicide either. He was always working and traveling. I think he enjoyed his life very much.

by Anonymousreply 475April 7, 2023 9:24 PM

I’m another non-believer in Julian being a suicide. From what I’ve read of his character and the comments from his many friends, suicide doesn’t seem likely at all. Hiking and climbing were his passion that he indulged in wherever he lived. He’d climbed Mt. Baldy for decades and after his move to Los Angeles, it apparently became one of his favorite activities. He certainly would have known the risks, and they are considerable on that mountain. In his decades of hiking and climbing, I’m sure he realized that a fall would be a likely cause of his death, and he accepted that as a possibility. I don’t think a year goes by without at least one death on Mt. Baldy, and it’s usually two or three. It’s considered one of the three deadliest mountains in the US, and Julian has become one of its most recent victims.

by Anonymousreply 476April 7, 2023 10:19 PM

I wouldn't think suicide either, but I would have never thought that about Robin Williams either. As I said upthread, the only thing I'd entertain is if he had received some sort of diagnosis that - in his mind - would eventually become burdensome on his family.

We may never know.

by Anonymousreply 477April 7, 2023 10:59 PM

The weather warnings were very clear that weekend.

Fuck around, find out.

by Anonymousreply 478April 7, 2023 11:20 PM

I'm another who does NOT believe it was suicide, because I'm a hiker and know other hikers.

FYI a hiker of 65 still has a lot of trails left to see, I've been passed on the trail many times by folks in their seventies and eighties, after a lifetime of hiking the ones who are still out there are so damn fit and indestructible that they bounce along high-altitude trails like mountain goats! At 65 an outdoorsman may have to give up on climbing the Fitzroy Traverse, but there's still a lot of amazing stuff out there to see, and they expect to have a few more decades of seeing the wonders of the world.

Sands had a good life. He wasn't tops of the A-list, but he was working steadily, he had children and family, he had close friends, he made enough as a character actor to travel the world and climb anything he wanted to climb. Why the hell would he kill himself in such a dramatic fashion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 479April 7, 2023 11:31 PM

Even if he were in his thirties, venturing out on a January day to go hiking solo on Mount Baldy when there was a weather winter advisory would have been considered risky. To attempt that hike when you're age 65 is outright reckless.

by Anonymousreply 480April 7, 2023 11:41 PM

Reckless from the outside looking in, thrilling from the perspective of the hiker. Reading between the lines, he had hiked in similar risky conditions previously without a problem. It only takes 1 major miscalculation to finish you.

by Anonymousreply 481April 7, 2023 11:49 PM

It’s quibbling at this point (but DL mainly consists of quibbling), but the weather was actually calm on the Friday that Julian took his fateful hike. There had been a strong storm several days earlier that left a lot of snow and ice on Mt. Baldy. That should have been reason enough to avoid the mountain. Julian would have been dealing with a lot of ice (a Baldy specialty) and the trails would have been obscured by snow. After decades of hiking the mountain, though, Julian probably knew the route to take. As I’ve already said a number of times on this thread, I’m an experienced hiker and climber who avoids snow and ice at all costs. The conditions that caused Julian to get into trouble were already there when he began his hike. He intended to be home by 7:30 pm, which was before the next severe storm that was due to hit the area. His wife called the sheriff when he didn’t return at that time. The major storm that hit Southern California started that evening but didn’t arrive in full force until the next morning. I remember being impressed that the sheriff had a search party of 20 people who immediately began work as the storm was arriving. There was also another missing hiker besides Julian. The searchers continued through Saturday and into Sunday, but the storm got so severe that there was a temporary halt to their efforts. This storm was massive. On Wednesday, five days after Julian went missing, I drove to Big Bear (about 50 miles east of Baldy) for some skiing. The snowpack was unbelievable. It made for some incredibly good skiing, but I thought of conditions on Baldy (which would have been the same) and realized that Julian was probably buried under a massive amount of snow and wouldn’t be found for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 482April 8, 2023 3:05 AM

R482 You talk shit. The weather forecast was for shit.

by Anonymousreply 483April 8, 2023 8:11 AM

[quote]I wouldn't think suicide either, but I would have never thought that about Robin Williams either.

There's a big difference between hanging yourself, especially when due to dementia you're not in your right state of mind, and going hiking on a mountain and hoping for a slip/fall.

by Anonymousreply 484April 8, 2023 4:02 PM

Y'all are talking like he's already dead!

THERE'S STILL HOPE!

by Anonymousreply 485April 8, 2023 4:02 PM

Not a suicide. Sands seems to have had a good life with lots of friends. He didn’t have a spectacular career in acting, but he kept busy. I’m sure he and his family realized the risks of his hiking and climbing pastime and were ok with it since it gave him pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 486April 8, 2023 8:52 PM

HE IS RISEN!

by Anonymousreply 487April 9, 2023 4:40 PM

R487 I should not have laughed so hard at that

by Anonymousreply 488April 9, 2023 5:55 PM

What shirtless twinks is Thiel spending Easter with?

by Anonymousreply 489April 9, 2023 6:11 PM

R489 None, if he keeps killing the ones he has.

by Anonymousreply 490April 9, 2023 7:14 PM

Bless you, r490.

by Anonymousreply 491April 9, 2023 7:30 PM

Julian’s son says thank you for the search efforts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492April 14, 2023 2:35 PM

Maybe in the future they can defrost him, and he'll still be alive!

by Anonymousreply 493April 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Unfrozen Caveman Actor

by Anonymousreply 494April 14, 2023 5:59 PM

Just put him in the microwave.

by Anonymousreply 495April 14, 2023 6:05 PM

He's still missing? I just looked around my garage, I don't see him. They should've found him by now. How big can Mt. Baldy be? Maybe they're just not used to looking for things in California.

by Anonymousreply 496April 14, 2023 6:11 PM

He probably started a new life elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 497April 14, 2023 6:12 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498April 14, 2023 6:51 PM

R498 Yes, with condors.

by Anonymousreply 499April 14, 2023 7:01 PM

[quote] What shirtless twinks is Thiel spending Easter with?

All of them - the good ones that is.

by Anonymousreply 500April 14, 2023 7:38 PM

[quote]I just looked around my garage, I don't see him. They should've found him by now. How big can Mt. Baldy be? Maybe they're just not used to looking for things in California.

I still don't think they looked under the couch cushions. I'm alway finding shit there.

by Anonymousreply 501April 14, 2023 8:18 PM

He dead

by Anonymousreply 502April 15, 2023 12:39 AM

Julian’s son flew to LA the weekend Julian went missing to help in the search for him. I remember a forest ranger accompanied him as they tried to retrace Julian’s steps. I suppose the son will return to join a new search as soon as the spring thaw begins. I hope so.

by Anonymousreply 503April 15, 2023 12:50 AM

I went skiing at Baldy a few days ago. Early on the morning I was there, there had been light snowfall, but only enough to dust the surface. It was typical spring corn conditions but on a really thick base. All runs were open. It’s unlikely there will be any further significant snowfall this season. If mild weather continues, the spring thaw could begin, and Julian’s body will eventually be exposed.

by Anonymousreply 504April 16, 2023 3:22 PM

The latest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505April 16, 2023 3:27 PM

Will someone, please, call Tangina Barrons?

by Anonymousreply 506April 16, 2023 3:31 PM

reddit has footage of a group of people who had gone for a hike in a scenic park, slipping on an ice bridge and tumbling into water. Because it is a large group of people they were able to pull each other out of the water. Separately, there is footage of an avalanche posted elsewhere on the site that is interesting to watch.

by Anonymousreply 507April 16, 2023 4:10 PM

A different article on this recent comments by Julian’s son, with more quotes. The video must have been filmed recently since the roads are clear and dry and the snow doesn’t appear to be too thick on the ground.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508April 17, 2023 2:21 PM

This is a great timeline of Julian’s disappearance. As a bonus, there’s a fantastic photo of sexy young Julian with a full head of hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509April 17, 2023 3:47 PM

[quote]Let’s see if he’s found before we need to start Part Four.

Doesn't seem likely.

by Anonymousreply 510April 17, 2023 4:51 PM

They’re also still thinking of him in Ireland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 511April 17, 2023 7:55 PM

I wish Julian had been more vain and gotten hair transplants as his hair began to thin. He always had striking features, but his thinning hair was disastrous for his overall appearance.

by Anonymousreply 512April 18, 2023 10:37 AM

they'll never a find a body, he likely walked across the border and is now living with a houseboy he abuses while working by swindling little old rich bitches out of pocket change.

by Anonymousreply 513April 18, 2023 10:42 AM

R512 Julian not getting hair transplants is consistent with everything I’ve read about him since his disappearance. He probably would have had a better acting career with a full head of hair and a more attractive appearance, but his lack of interest in a more successful career is consistent with a lack of care in his looks.

by Anonymousreply 514April 18, 2023 2:08 PM

His disappearance has revived public interest in his career. I’m eager to see “Seneca”, even if he’s entirely bald.

by Anonymousreply 515April 18, 2023 2:31 PM

More from Julian’s son.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516April 18, 2023 7:33 PM

Julian’s net worth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 517April 19, 2023 4:30 PM

Remember, fellow adventurers, you can only make that fatal mistake ONCE!

Don't let all those times you lived fool you.

by Anonymousreply 518April 19, 2023 5:21 PM

Taking a hike on Mt Baldy on your own is risky inherently. Doing so at age 65 during the winter when there is a storm warning increases the risk exponentially that something terrible could happen . The fact that he hiked Mt Baldy in the past without issue doesn't mean he could do it successfully again in these elements. He could have slipped, tripped, misstep-ed, experienced a medical incident, got lost due to diminished visibility, etc. If he didn't die directly from an injury, he most likely died hours or days later from hypothermia.

by Anonymousreply 519April 19, 2023 6:26 PM

There were whiteout conditions on Baldy when Sands was there. No wonder he didn’t make it. He must have been suicidal.

by Anonymousreply 520April 19, 2023 8:56 PM

No, R520, I don't think he was suicidal, I think he was just overconfident. This is a guy who had lived through a lot of dangers before this, who had survived plenty of earlier storms and bad footing, and who probably thought that Southern California held no dangers for a badass like himself. He probably thought things were interesting rather than dangerous, until the whiteout closed in or he lost his footing one last time.

Like I said, you can only make that fatal mistake *once*!

by Anonymousreply 521April 20, 2023 3:07 AM

I had forgotten about Julian Sands being missing.

All of this is just such a weird story. If John Malkovich (at R2) is using the word "was" about his best friend - then I guess everyone has accepted that he's dead.

Very sad - I really liked Sands.

by Anonymousreply 522April 20, 2023 3:58 AM

I was never a particular fan of Julian Sands but now that he’s probably dead, I realize that he had a very likable screen presence. He’ll be missed.

by Anonymousreply 523April 20, 2023 12:18 PM

I just checked the Mountain Report for Baldy and apparently there’s still significant snowpack. Julian is still probably buried quite deep. When the melt begins, I wonder how near the surface he needs to be to be detectable by animals. It’s probably likely that scavenging animals will find him before humans do.

by Anonymousreply 524April 20, 2023 12:49 PM

Dump

by Anonymousreply 525April 29, 2023 8:40 PM

Incredible. There’s still skiing at Mt. Baldy with up to four inches of new snow today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526May 1, 2023 4:15 PM

Mount Baldy just got 8 inches of new snow on an incredibly thick base.

by Anonymousreply 527May 6, 2023 8:51 PM

Every time a see a new post on this thread, I think, they finally found him!

by Anonymousreply 528May 6, 2023 9:30 PM

Same r528

by Anonymousreply 529May 7, 2023 1:53 AM

R527 - 8 inches is more than enough.

by Anonymousreply 530May 7, 2023 2:27 AM

[quote]r329 I suspect his remains will be someday found in a ravine. A mountain gulch that he fell into, and out of sight. If he lived through that, it was likely with broken bones or a spinal injury where he couldn’t get out of the ravine.

How long would he have lived in agony?

What’s the maximum?

by Anonymousreply 531May 7, 2023 3:14 AM

R531 I’ve read that a person can live up to a week without food or water. Of course it’s extremely cold on Mt. Baldy, so that would have a negative effect. However, Julian was an experienced hiker and climber, so I’m sure he would have been properly dressed for the cold on the mountain. If he fell, I just hope he hit his head and died instantly. Surviving for a period under the conditions on the mountain would be miserable.

by Anonymousreply 532May 7, 2023 4:11 PM

I guess he missed the coronation yesterday. Or were there any sightings?

by Anonymousreply 533May 7, 2023 5:21 PM

I suspect he is a popsicle.

by Anonymousreply 534May 7, 2023 8:10 PM

Maybe as science progresses he can be unfrozen and returned to normal? Just leave him there until the time is right.

by Anonymousreply 535May 8, 2023 12:19 AM

Have there been any developments on Julian's whereabouts yet? Was it Annie Wilkes?

by Anonymousreply 536May 12, 2023 7:51 AM

Interest in Julian seems to be diminishing. : (

by Anonymousreply 537May 12, 2023 8:35 AM

He was good at creating the initial drama but didn't know how to keep the audience interested.

by Anonymousreply 538May 12, 2023 9:12 AM

My. Baldy is still open for skiing. What a weird year.

by Anonymousreply 539May 12, 2023 3:20 PM

Definitely bald eagle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540May 18, 2023 11:11 AM

I just saw him. In the film Benediction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541May 18, 2023 11:25 AM

He's probably still out there hiking, right?

by Anonymousreply 542May 18, 2023 11:33 AM

Never give up hope

by Anonymousreply 543May 18, 2023 1:20 PM

[quote]He's probably still out there hiking, right?

Makes me sad! He must be so hungry and thirsty.

by Anonymousreply 544May 18, 2023 1:23 PM

You can always watch him in Boxing Helena. He’ll never truly die that way.

by Anonymousreply 545May 18, 2023 2:32 PM

R541, loved that movie

by Anonymousreply 546May 18, 2023 6:08 PM

If he’s still alive I hope he has the dietary skills and constitution of Euell Gibbons.

by Anonymousreply 547May 18, 2023 6:36 PM

Two words: Ca Bins.

by Anonymousreply 548May 18, 2023 6:39 PM

I bet he is so skinny. Jealous!

by Anonymousreply 549May 18, 2023 6:40 PM

R549 But is he John Mulaney cocaine skinny?

by Anonymousreply 550May 18, 2023 8:15 PM

He is happy with his condor buddies.

by Anonymousreply 551May 18, 2023 8:22 PM

So, Sands is dust now?

by Anonymousreply 552May 18, 2023 9:45 PM

He is dust in the wind

by Anonymousreply 553May 18, 2023 9:46 PM

He was starting to look weird in this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 554May 18, 2023 10:30 PM

[quote] [R527] - 8 inches is more than enough.

Always

by Anonymousreply 555May 19, 2023 3:35 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 556May 28, 2023 4:54 AM

Sand's story just doesn't silt right with me.

by Anonymousreply 557May 28, 2023 5:20 AM

R556 Still with the condors.

by Anonymousreply 558May 28, 2023 6:44 AM

No, I agree, R557. I am beginning to feel as though we won't know the entire story or truth for a long, long time.

by Anonymousreply 559May 28, 2023 6:57 AM

Mountain orgy?

by Anonymousreply 560May 28, 2023 7:27 AM

It was probably suicide. It’s a peaceful place to go.

by Anonymousreply 561May 28, 2023 7:54 AM

I think it was suicide, too. Really sad.

by Anonymousreply 562May 28, 2023 7:57 AM

Well, it apparently ended up as a suicide even if that wasn't his original plan, R561.

by Anonymousreply 563May 28, 2023 7:59 AM

Suicide by mountain.

by Anonymousreply 564May 28, 2023 8:43 AM

[quote]Sand's story just doesn't silt right with me.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 565May 28, 2023 3:14 PM

I can't imagine it was suicide, Sands had a good life! Marriage, kids, career that paid enough to travel to any mountain he pleased, excellent health, etc. Aging of course, but still fit enough to be looking forward to more trails to hike and mountains to conquer.

Yes, I know depression can hit anyone no matter how fabulous their life seems on the surface, but killing levels of depression don't leave a person enough energy to climb Mount Baldy.

by Anonymousreply 566May 28, 2023 5:58 PM

The weather in LA has been quite warm for weeks. I wish the thaw would hurry up so we can find Julian.

by Anonymousreply 567May 28, 2023 11:33 PM

This interview with John Malkovich has probably been posted before, but it’s still worth reading. I’m waiting for Seneca to b released. It’s probably Julian’s last film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568May 28, 2023 11:38 PM

He'll probably be intact after they defrost him.

by Anonymousreply 569May 29, 2023 12:15 AM

So more films maybe? Weekend at Bernie’s 3

by Anonymousreply 570May 29, 2023 1:29 AM

I heard that Knorr's is creating a special release of [italic]Soupe printanière de julien[/italic] in honor of the spring thaw on the ridge.

by Anonymousreply 571May 29, 2023 1:47 AM

R569, Julian is not intact, as we saw in his nude scene in "A Room With a View".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 572May 29, 2023 7:18 AM

[quote]Julian is not intact, as we saw in his nude scene in "A Room With a View".

And you probably think that's the real tragedy here.

by Anonymousreply 573May 29, 2023 7:23 AM

Have they found any bones? Or a boner?

by Anonymousreply 574May 29, 2023 7:32 AM

I think it's too cold for him to have decomposed.

by Anonymousreply 575May 29, 2023 11:08 AM

R575 has no experience with dealing with frozen and thawed corpses.

It ain't that simple, R575.

I wish I could share my skills with you.

by Anonymousreply 576May 29, 2023 1:25 PM

[quote]I wish I could share my skills with you.

Please, do! I'm always willing to learn. No snark.

by Anonymousreply 577May 29, 2023 1:36 PM

"[R575] has no experience with dealing with frozen and thawed corpses."

My experience is only with fresh corpses! Zipped up a lot of poor souls over the years.

So the squeamish can fuck off, while those of us who don't mind detailed discussions of corpses ask you to share the details of what a frozen and thawed corpse can be like. I would have assumed it'd be freeze-dried, but what do I know.

by Anonymousreply 578May 29, 2023 4:29 PM

Clearly, he decided to check the river for Julian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 579June 6, 2023 12:52 PM

I hope he’s found in time for summer

by Anonymousreply 580June 6, 2023 2:23 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581June 7, 2023 7:48 AM

What they'll find now is bones, which means forensics to establish his ID. I can only guess how many animals have been gnawing on him over the past 6 months

by Anonymousreply 582June 7, 2023 9:37 AM

You don't find that many scavengers under snowbanks, R582, and that's where the poor man has been.

by Anonymousreply 583June 7, 2023 10:39 AM

He's not dead. He's missing.

by Anonymousreply 584June 7, 2023 10:55 AM

How's sands dune?

by Anonymousreply 585June 7, 2023 11:55 AM

He’s fine he sends his love!

by Anonymousreply 586June 7, 2023 11:30 PM

[Quote] Interest in Julian seems to be diminishing. : (

No shit!

by Anonymousreply 587June 14, 2023 4:41 AM

So, it's June - the weather STILL bad on Mt. Baldy?

by Anonymousreply 588June 14, 2023 6:31 PM

Mountain of Sorrow: The Julian Sands Story

by Anonymousreply 589June 14, 2023 6:59 PM

He's the male Amelia Earhart.

by Anonymousreply 590June 14, 2023 7:00 PM

All that outdoors activity really shows, but one can go too far.

He was just skin and bones the last time I saw him.

by Anonymousreply 591June 14, 2023 7:51 PM

R590 Crabs ate him?

by Anonymousreply 592June 14, 2023 8:58 PM

Goodbye Englands REAL rose

by Anonymousreply 593June 14, 2023 9:43 PM

The search goes on. Not giving up yet!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594June 19, 2023 10:45 PM

[quote]The search goes on. Not giving up yet!

I hope he wasn't aboard that submersible taking tourists to see the Titanic wreck site.

by Anonymousreply 595June 19, 2023 11:42 PM

More details.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596June 20, 2023 12:26 AM

This thread is more alive than he is.

by Anonymousreply 597June 20, 2023 12:27 AM

Hopefully they find him before it’s too late!

by Anonymousreply 598June 20, 2023 2:18 AM

Maybe they need to check the cabins just one more time.

by Anonymousreply 599June 20, 2023 3:01 AM

Starting Part 4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600June 20, 2023 3:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!