Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Great Expectations' (2023) mini series

With Olivia Colman, by Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight. Love seeing all the horse manure on the streets of London, finally period pieces are getting this one detail right.

March 26th on Hulu.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95April 23, 2023 4:59 PM

Has this been on BBC already ?

by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2023 8:07 PM

BBC only had this a few years ago with Gillian Anderson as Miss Havisham, it's been done to death and still the best version is the 1946 David Lean film.

by Anonymousreply 2February 17, 2023 8:12 PM

r1 It hasn't, the description just says it's coming to BBC this spring. So it'll probably air there around the same time as on Hulu.

by Anonymousreply 3February 17, 2023 8:13 PM

How many times can they remake this? And the remakes have been good, but why can they never come up with anything new?

by Anonymousreply 4February 17, 2023 8:13 PM

Why did they get late 40s Olivia to play a character that is tragic partly because within the timeline of the story, she's wasting her youth (20s-30s) by being a bitter shut-in?

by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2023 8:13 PM

Why did they get late 40s Olivia to play a character that is tragic partly because within the timeline of the story, she's wasting her youth (20s-30s) by being a bitter shut-in?

by Anonymousreply 6February 17, 2023 8:13 PM

Anyone see the 90's Ethan Hawke version? With Goop? Was that a good adaption?

by Anonymousreply 7February 17, 2023 8:14 PM

R7 Yes. Excellent.

by Anonymousreply 8February 17, 2023 8:16 PM

r2 Yes, I enjoyed Gillian Anderson's ethereal Miss Havisham much more than Colman's more grounded one seen in this trailer. Although that was twelve years ago now, not just a few years. That one was adapted by Sarah Phelps and didn't look nearly as visually interesting as this one.

by Anonymousreply 9February 17, 2023 8:17 PM

Always nice to see a new version and new actors. (Sorry Olivia that doesn't include you). On the BBC March 23rd I think.

by Anonymousreply 10February 17, 2023 8:18 PM

Vanessa Kirby was Estella in the Gillian Anderson version with her then beau Douglas Booth as Pip.

by Anonymousreply 11February 17, 2023 8:22 PM

Oleebia is veering into Imelda S./Judy Dench territory.

by Anonymousreply 12February 17, 2023 8:22 PM

r11 I was just about to ask whatever happened to Douglas Booth, he was the hot new thing back then. Had no idea he dated Kirby, how the tables have turned career-wise.

by Anonymousreply 13February 17, 2023 8:26 PM

The excellent adaptation with Gillian Anderson benefitted enormously from the presence of the beautiful Douglas Booth as Pip

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 17, 2023 8:42 PM

[quote] why can they never come up with anything new?

This Woke version has a black blacksmith.

The Essex marshlands gave been invaded by Jamaicans.

Abel Magwitch is exiled to Australia and returns as an African-American.

by Anonymousreply 15February 17, 2023 8:57 PM

R14 Douglas Booth = Helena Bonham-Carter

by Anonymousreply 16February 17, 2023 9:00 PM

Another year, another remake of this.

To be followed by; Jane Eyre, Emma, Vanity Fair etc ad nauseum.

God forbid a director might pick up a lesser known novel by a lesser exhausted writer.

by Anonymousreply 17February 17, 2023 9:02 PM

[quote] Love seeing all the horse manure on the streets of London

Are you a coprophiliac, OP?

by Anonymousreply 18February 17, 2023 9:03 PM

[quote] Judy Dench

R12 Judi Dench

by Anonymousreply 19February 17, 2023 9:04 PM

Looks great.

by Anonymousreply 20February 17, 2023 9:09 PM

Ugh. Her again? My Olivia Colman fatigue has had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 21February 17, 2023 9:09 PM

Stealth Erna thread.

by Anonymousreply 22February 17, 2023 9:11 PM

R9 That one was adapted by Sarah Phelps

This Phelps woman is the freak who did the last abominable Christies.

They were full of vomit, ugliness, neuroses and crowds of freaks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 17, 2023 9:15 PM

Olivia Colman works a lot but isn't what we used to call "a star".

by Anonymousreply 24February 17, 2023 9:20 PM

[quote] Already can't wait for season 2!

R20 That must be when Phillip gets his revenge by murdering The Jamaican who introduced him into a world empty affluence.

by Anonymousreply 25February 17, 2023 9:26 PM

Yeah but the Gillian Anderson version was the only one where Pip was more beautiful than Estella.

by Anonymousreply 26February 17, 2023 9:35 PM

Well I can't say my expectations are too great if Pip gets called "Pip Gargery," especially since the OPENING sentence of the novel establish his given name as "Philip Pirrip."

by Anonymousreply 27February 17, 2023 9:48 PM

[quote] Pip was more beautiful than Estella.

Yes, his Pip was very girly.

by Anonymousreply 28February 17, 2023 9:54 PM

Having half of the pertinent characters being played by black people takes away the mystery to Charles Dickens' story.

Pip will guess at age 12 who is the "mysterious" benefactor and the "mystery" of the temptress Estella.

by Anonymousreply 29February 17, 2023 11:29 PM

R23 I liked her adaptation of "And Then There Were None". It helped that there was more time to tell the story properly. Plus the cast was generally great. I believe beautiful Douglas Booth played the first victim.

"Witness For The Prosecution" was okay, I can barely remember it, but I think it works better for being short and sharp, a 2-parter was probably too long. And adding sex into didn't help, it cheapened the dynamics.

Her "ABC Murders" suffered from awful casting and too many changes, don't think I even finished it. Is that the one were Poirot was meant to be a former Priest?!

"Ordeal By Innocence" and "Pale Horse" I didn't watch but read there were lots of changes. Maybe I'll give them a go but I don't care for screenwriters thinking they are smarter than the author or "improving on" great novels. Some works are undeniably helped by certain changes, however most are not.

by Anonymousreply 30February 17, 2023 11:31 PM

[quote] I don't care for screenwriters thinking they are smarter than the author

R30 Phelps obviously considers herself to be a Sassy Fierce Female who says it's her role to improve on the geriatric Agatha Christie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 17, 2023 11:49 PM

[quote] 1998 - 1999 - 1946 and guess now in 2023 Estella is now, if she is: BLACK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 18, 2023 12:09 AM

Klan grannies are in a tithes.

by Anonymousreply 33February 18, 2023 12:17 AM

*tither

by Anonymousreply 34February 18, 2023 12:17 AM

Tithe = is a one-tenth part of something, paid as a contribution to a religious organization or compulsory tax

Tither = is a person who gives or pays tithes, as to a church.

by Anonymousreply 35February 18, 2023 12:20 AM

The BBC are obsessed with race.

They have transmogrified 'Howard's End'. Other English people have given us an African-American Anne Boleyn and the ludicrous sable Queen Caroline and the fantasy comic called 'Bridgerton'.

I'm waiting for the BBC to give us their version of Abraham Lincoln with Mary Todd Lincoln as an ex-slave.

by Anonymousreply 36February 18, 2023 5:24 AM

I'm producing "A Raisin In The Sun" with a blonde, blue-eyed cast.

by Anonymousreply 37February 18, 2023 8:43 AM

I demand that I be given the role of Hyacinth Bucket in a new full-length movie.

by Anonymousreply 38February 18, 2023 8:49 AM

R36 your Lincoln comment made me chuckle!

I have no problems with diverse casting but you're right, it's not just black and white. Where are all the other non-white ethnicities?

I would never pay a licence fee to the BBC for their dreck.

by Anonymousreply 39February 18, 2023 8:51 AM

The trailer looks awful and the new Pup isn't hot

by Anonymousreply 40February 18, 2023 8:53 AM

If Charles Dickens were alive today he'd be down at the Old Bailey and be serving a writ on the BBC.

He's be demanding litigation or satisfaction.

by Anonymousreply 41February 18, 2023 8:55 AM

Actually, he'd be at the bank making sure the check cleared.

by Anonymousreply 42February 18, 2023 8:57 AM

[quote] the check

I'm sure the BBC and Hollywood don't pay any royalties for stealing Dickens' plot and characters which are now out of copyright.

The BBC and Hollywood certainly don't pay any respect to him.

by Anonymousreply 43February 18, 2023 9:24 AM

It's a bit like the recent Waiting for Godot production that was cancelled because it only auditioned males for the roles of....5 male characters. When will this preposterous nonsense end.

by Anonymousreply 44February 18, 2023 12:19 PM

r24=Glenn Close

by Anonymousreply 45February 18, 2023 12:41 PM

I had to read this in high school and frankly could barely get through it - Pip was such a non-entity I didn’t care about him or his mystery. I’ll freely admit I was a stupid 16 year old and just didn’t get Dickens. For those with better judgement, is this a great novel, or does the story actually work better as the much simplified plot of a film?

by Anonymousreply 46February 18, 2023 12:59 PM

Olivia Colman is far too relatable to be a star, you need a certain sense of alienation for that to occur. And honestly, good for her because have you read any interviews with Cate Blanchett lately? That bitch lives in another galaxy these days.

r23 Yes, and? Christie novels are full of exactly that. I never bought into the boring, cleaned up adaptations of her work, I always felt unease when reading her books as a kid -- a milder version of Lovecraftian horror. Which can be best evoked by showing us highly stylised sets with beautiful people, juxtaposed with vomit, ugliness and neuroses.

by Anonymousreply 47February 18, 2023 1:44 PM

[quote]Douglas Booth as Pip.

Any relation to John Wilkes?

by Anonymousreply 48February 18, 2023 2:24 PM

[quote]Abel Magwitch is exiled to Australia and returns as an African-American.

[quote]Other English people have given us an African-American Anne Boleyn

Doubtful they were African-AMERICAN. Why can't we say BLACK anymore?

by Anonymousreply 49February 18, 2023 2:27 PM

[quote] Why . . . BLACK?

Anne Boleyn came from Wiltshire. Abel Magwith came from Kent.

The producers of this new TV show came from Woke La-La Land.

by Anonymousreply 50February 18, 2023 2:42 PM

I can't decide whether Fionn Whitehead has cookie-smelling potential or not.

by Anonymousreply 51February 18, 2023 2:46 PM

[quote] Pip was such a non-entity

Pip, Oliver Twist and David Copperfield are all passive and surrounded by a world of venality.

[quote] is this a great novel?

It's Dickens' strongest novel. It's his best with a strong psychological pull to drag us through all those chapters.

by Anonymousreply 52February 18, 2023 2:51 PM

Looks like a graphic novel version, Miss Havisham: Firestarter.

by Anonymousreply 53February 18, 2023 4:05 PM

Agree R52. And some of the best passages about childhood in English literature.

by Anonymousreply 54February 18, 2023 4:13 PM

Thanks, OP. This is my cup of tea for sure.

by Anonymousreply 55February 18, 2023 4:28 PM

by Anonymousreply 56March 18, 2023 10:54 PM

That ship sailed with Anderson already and she was wonderful in the role. Besides, isn't it even more tragic that she's wasted several decades by being a bitter shut-in, not just the one?

by Anonymousreply 57March 18, 2023 10:58 PM

The point is not that an "oppressor" shouldn't play an oppressed person. It's that the reason for their oppression is the identity of those biographical characters, and the same is true of the villains in the piece. Artistically, it makes no sense for a black person to play Goebbels or a slavemaster. I guess you'd rather see this through a political lens than an artistic one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 18, 2023 11:17 PM

Great Expectations as a work is not an exploration of racial oppression at the time, though. So it's fine in this particular instance.

by Anonymousreply 59March 18, 2023 11:23 PM

[quote].It's a bit like the recent Waiting for Godot production that was cancelled because it only auditioned males for the roles of....5 male characters. When will this preposterous nonsense end.

Actually, 'Waiting for Godot' is one play where gender and race are irrelevant. The characters are 'tramps', a category that obviously includes women and black people. It's about the purposelessness of existence, the absurdity of the human condition, waiting for a supernatural sign that life has some meaning....waiting....waiting..

by Anonymousreply 60March 18, 2023 11:25 PM

The BBC seems to have jumped on the Hollywood bandwagon by turning everybody black. You can't even turn on the screen anymore without being inundated with black faces even in places where they don't belong.

by Anonymousreply 61March 18, 2023 11:29 PM

It has that washed out CGI background look that everything has these days. No thanks. I’m a Dickens fan, I’ve read the book and it isn’t one of my favorites but right off the bat I could see Miss Havisham was miscast.

by Anonymousreply 62March 18, 2023 11:32 PM

R51 If you have to ask...! When in doubt go with YES!

by Anonymousreply 63March 18, 2023 11:41 PM

I do love a good period drama, but Peaky Blinders consistently went with style over substance (and was really carried along by an excellent cast) so I'm not hopefully that this production will be better.

by Anonymousreply 64March 18, 2023 11:52 PM

The BBC wankers are doing Colour-Bind Casting. Where they demand that the audience be blind.

by Anonymousreply 65March 18, 2023 11:57 PM

Colour-Bind Casting is where the actress playing the mother comes from Birmingham, the father from Cornwall and the son from Zambia.

by Anonymousreply 66March 19, 2023 12:14 AM

[quote] I'm waiting for the BBC to give us their version of Abraham Lincoln with Mary Todd Lincoln as an ex-slave.

I'm waiting for the BBC Wokesters to give us Viola Davis as Abraham and a nude James Norton as Mary Todd.

by Anonymousreply 67March 19, 2023 12:37 AM

R61, I'm watching several shows set in the quaintest British towns and villages which for some inexplicable reason are full of ethnic minorities.

Well, turns out the reason is the BBC went woke with a Diversity Code of Practice which mandates among others:

[quote]Starting April 2021, 20 percent of talent on new BBC shows must be of “a Black, Asian, or minority ethnic background,” in compliance with their new 20 percent diversity mandate. This applies to all new shows on BCC for three years—and hopefully extends further than that. The rule applies to both those in front of the camera and behind, and correlates to the United Kingdom’s actual demographics at large.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 19, 2023 12:52 AM

R68 how fucking ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 69March 19, 2023 1:19 AM

[quote] ridiculous

That painful document is authorised by the BBC manager named Tim Davie.

He gets criticised from all sides. And the BBC is criticised from all sides.

The BBC needs to be abolished.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 19, 2023 1:46 AM

I see the marxist looney has joined the convo.

by Anonymousreply 71March 19, 2023 2:01 AM

R71 To whom do you refer?

by Anonymousreply 72March 19, 2023 2:02 AM

Ron DeSantis needs to shut down the BBC.

by Anonymousreply 73March 19, 2023 2:02 AM

I remember liking the 1990s movie, one of Alfonso Cuarons first movies. Gwyneth's wardrobe was luxe

by Anonymousreply 74March 19, 2023 2:30 AM

I remember liking the 1947 movie. Jean Simmons played a sadistic Estella.

by Anonymousreply 75March 19, 2023 2:42 AM

Why couldn't they make this with a fully black cast? That would be a lot less distracting than constantly breaking the 4th wall, in effect, by forcing the viewer to think about the BBC's casting policy rather than being immersed in Dicken's story.

Also, if they make the entire cast black they can then portray all the characters as they were written, instead of changing them to avoid accusations of racism. Estella is supposed to be a stone cold bitch for the ages. That's vital to the story development. But here she cannot possibly be portrayed that way because the racist commentary industrial complex will accuse the BBC of racism if she is portrayed accurately.

Remove it to Jamaica or somewhere in Africa and just make the same story there. Would improve it's prospects of being watchable enormously.

by Anonymousreply 76March 19, 2023 6:06 AM

Estella was the stoniest coldest bitch for the ages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 19, 2023 6:43 AM

This new version is more aggressive.

Magwitch, the barely-literate criminal counterfeiter announces 'Britain was built on the lies of white privileged men'.

by Anonymousreply 78March 19, 2023 7:47 AM

Dickens would likely agree with that.

by Anonymousreply 79March 19, 2023 7:49 AM

So you object to someone creating a version that doesn’t meet your expectations, great as they may be.

by Anonymousreply 80March 19, 2023 7:52 AM

This new version is upside-down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81March 19, 2023 7:58 AM

If they wanted a mod version, they should've hired Mick Jagger to play Mr jaggers.

All these black Jamaicans are a red herring.

by Anonymousreply 82March 19, 2023 8:18 AM

First two episodes -- out of six in total -- are out, anyone watched it? There's nothing particularly exciting so far, but I have to say, the boy actor playing Pip was pretty good and Fionn Whitehead as adult Pip is [italic]really[/italic] good, and cute as hell. Can we get him after we ruin Paul Mescal?

Having said that, it's scenes with Colman where I perked up, just watching her facial expressions. She says she's tired, but I don't believe her -- she's manic and running on pure fury. Interested in seeing where she's going with this even though, for now, I still prefer Anderson's hazy version.

by Anonymousreply 83March 26, 2023 7:43 PM

[quote] Interested in seeing where she's going with this even though

Miss Havisham is important in the early chapters of the book but she fades away in the remaining 66% of the story.

by Anonymousreply 84March 26, 2023 10:44 PM

I'm familiar with the story, I meant I'm interested in what state she ends up in after smoking all that dope all the time.

by Anonymousreply 85March 26, 2023 10:50 PM

Anyone else watching in US? The finale is today. I've been really enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 86April 23, 2023 2:15 PM

[QUOTE] Why did they get late 40s Olivia to play a character that is tragic partly because within the timeline of the story, she's wasting her youth (20s-30s) by being a bitter shut-in?

How many fucking times are you going to post this?

by Anonymousreply 87April 23, 2023 2:36 PM

The problem is the choice of material for making a movie or mini-series. The diversity casting is only strange because media companies keep choosing to use stories that have all white characters or are period pieces set in Europe in which certain roles would certainly have been white. If you want to do diverse casting, then choose or create stories that have diverse characters and stop only telling European period stories. If you like the plot of a Dickens novel, use the same plot, but set it in a different part of the world with alternate characters.

by Anonymousreply 88April 23, 2023 2:50 PM

After the initial publicity push it disappeared. I've seen no discussions or other attention paid to the show. It's like this show sank without a trace. Probably for the best.

by Anonymousreply 89April 23, 2023 3:19 PM

[QUOTE] If you like the plot of a Dickens novel, use the same plot, but set it in a different part of the world with alternate characters.

They should adapt Barbara Kingsolver’s recent DEMON COPPERHEAD which re-imagines David Copperfield in 90s/00s Southwest Virginia with a melungeon David Copperfield. Several non-white characters yet retains the source material.

by Anonymousreply 90April 23, 2023 3:45 PM

Is Mr Jaggers a gay?

by Anonymousreply 91April 23, 2023 4:07 PM

Finished it just now. Shame it got review-bombed by the usual suspects, it really is a decent adaptation, and gorgeously shot. Ends too abruptly, though, especially when you compare it to the slog in the middle. The Magwitch-Compeyson stuff is by far the least compelling, but that's obviously on Dickens.

I think I'll check out the other adaptations again.

by Anonymousreply 92April 23, 2023 4:55 PM

R92 any ass or cock shown?

by Anonymousreply 93April 23, 2023 4:56 PM

r91 That occurred to me at one point as well, but then didn't Pip ask him if he was fucking his maid and he went all quiet?

by Anonymousreply 94April 23, 2023 4:56 PM

I feel like if Fionn Whitehead could get his front teeth straightened, he could rival Mescal, he's that good.

r93 Sadly not, it's weirdly family friendly for a Steven Knight production.

by Anonymousreply 95April 23, 2023 4:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!