Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gilda Radner

Why didn't she have a better career after Saturday Night Live? She seemed perfect for a sitcom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118April 12, 2024 3:28 AM

Every character she did seemed the same. I find her overrated which is very unpopular, I know.

by Anonymousreply 1February 16, 2023 11:22 PM

She died?

by Anonymousreply 2February 16, 2023 11:22 PM

She wasn’t that funny or attractive.

by Anonymousreply 3February 16, 2023 11:22 PM

The only true part of your reply r3 is the fairy part

by Anonymousreply 4February 16, 2023 11:24 PM

Yes r4 she was gorgeous and hilarious. That’s why she became a megastar after SNL

by Anonymousreply 5February 16, 2023 11:25 PM

While I never read the book, I heard an interview with Gene Wilder on NPR & it sounded as if the SNL performance gave her a high profile, but it was a very difficult/high pressure situation & she had to work with a lot of assholes she just couldn't really deal with. Wilder & Radner tried to make movies together, but it never clicked & then of course she started getting sick. Her early death was tragic, but she just sounded *so* needy. If she were alive today, she'd probably be one of those "WHET" stories and would just be some random lady someone spotted at the farmers market in Vermont.

by Anonymousreply 6February 16, 2023 11:26 PM

I wonder if Fred Silverman was partly to blame.

He was aggressively pushing Gilda to do a variety show from New York in prime time for the 1980-81 season, since it was known that she planned to leave SNL at the end of 1979-80 season, produced by Lorne. She backed out, as did Lorne, and it led to Lorne not being included in discussions about his SNL. successor, and the subsequent appointment of Jean Doumanian as producer.

by Anonymousreply 7February 16, 2023 11:29 PM

Any eldergays see her stage show?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 16, 2023 11:33 PM

She was overrated and a cheater.

by Anonymousreply 9February 16, 2023 11:34 PM

She was a liar. And do you know what happens to liars? DO YOU??

by Anonymousreply 10February 16, 2023 11:34 PM

Time wasn't on her side and there didn't seem to be a consensus of what she could or should be doing. I feel like if she had an unmistakable star vehicle, it might have made a difference.

by Anonymousreply 11February 17, 2023 2:14 AM

She was developing a sitcom in her later years but the cancer kept returning. In her book she writes about envying Jane Curtin and Kate and Allie. She wanted something like that but her health prohibited it.

by Anonymousreply 12February 17, 2023 2:26 AM

I and two friends had a somewhat unpleasant experience with her in April of 1980 a block or so from 30 Roc. When my friend was going to ask if she was Gilda, she replied rather snotty "I'm NOT." and walked away. FUN FACT: She had "Gilda R." on the side of her purse in the peel-and-stick letters at the link.

So, I'm going to go with "Because she's a cunt" for $200, Alex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 17, 2023 2:28 AM

Two friends and I...

by Anonymousreply 14February 17, 2023 2:29 AM

I don't think the SNL skits with her and Laraine Newman held up. She and Laraine both looked anorexic, even for that late '70s / early '80s cocaine era. If anything, I'd say Laraine should have had more of a career than Gilda.

by Anonymousreply 15February 17, 2023 2:40 AM

R8- She was before my time, but I had the album of her live show as a kid. Probably way too young to be listening to it, but I loved it. I got into trouble for adding "fuck you, Mr. Bunny!" to some song they were playing at my school's latchkey program. I wasn't allowed to listen to the record any more after that. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 16February 17, 2023 2:53 AM

Gilda really only had about 5 years between the end of SNL and when she began to get sick. She made three films with Gene Wilder, two of which were massive flops and the only hit had her in a supporting role. She was in a new relationship and marriage which really took her by storm, she was trying to have a baby before she hit 40. Plus she was over 35 when she left SNL, not exactly ingenue age.

Wanting to be with Gene every minute of the day certainly didn't make her career choices any better. After Stir Crazy, Gene barely had any hit films, maybe two the rest of his career. The Woman in Red was memorable at the time for one thing- Kelly LeBrock's sexiness. Gilda pretty much got forgotten in the process. Here's what Gene Siskel said about her in his review of the film-

[quote] You may have heard that Wilder's real-life love, Gilda Radner, is also in the picture and therefore you assume that she has a substantial role in it. Forget it. She has a minor, singularly unfunny role as an old maid. Radner is so ugly in this film that we constantly wonder if it's the makeup or whether she is ill. She's 45 years old and severely dehydrated in this picture. Rarely has anyone filmed their own girlfriend in such an unattractive manner.

It is entirely possible that, had Gilda not gotten sick, she would have found her place on television, which is where she thrived, and been able to have a career resurgence. But in those five years she got sick, I would say Wilder was to blame for her career failure.

by Anonymousreply 17February 17, 2023 2:55 AM

I was more of a Andrea Martin and Catherine O'Hara gal myself.

by Anonymousreply 18February 17, 2023 2:55 AM

she was a frau through and through...

It's never been about female comics not being funny

but typically when a male comic builds up resentment with the industry, he acquires an addiction and adds it to his schtick..

when a female comic builds up resentment, she becomes constipated, bitter and angry. . . it rarely translate into their act unless they've abandoned the act to lecture the audience instead.

most comics are fucked up sleazebags..

still there's a trajectory for most females stand.. their peak standup years are their 30s. They rarely got their shit together in their twenties... so, if they haven't developed a shtick, their stage persona, most will head to improv instead. . . but outside of tv series, stage improv is treated more like experimental theatre than comedy.

And post 40, even if they don't have kids.. lifestyle and material is difficult to maintain. Some social sexism applies, of course, but females seem to tire of being a rodeo clown a lot quicker than men do.

If it had been a little later, she would have been setup for idiot movies. And much later, she would have become Tina Fey. . . and likely transitioned into a solid producing or writing career. I'm not sure she wanted that, though, for a lot of women of the time... it was something they fell into.

And Radner was pretty low brow as far as comedy goes... which also tends to make for the biggest assholes. Also, Wilder was way too intense when he got involved with her. I know that had to rub people the wrong way. She needed more of a Woody Allen in her corner, had she lived, she likely would have become his muse. She played to a specific kind of dysfunction that's more on target with his brand.

by Anonymousreply 19February 17, 2023 2:57 AM

She also spent the first year after SNL on Broadway in the play Lunch Hour.

by Anonymousreply 20February 17, 2023 2:58 AM

HUGE Gilda fan here.

That being said, I don’t like her when she played mean, like the jilted ex of Wilder in The Woman in Red.

And as much as I wanted to like Haunted Honeymoon, it was atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 21February 17, 2023 3:05 AM

Jesus Gene Siskel was a cunt in that review. Karma got him in the end seeing that he was dead of cancer himself at 53 years old.

by Anonymousreply 22February 17, 2023 3:10 AM

I thought she was hilarious when I was a kid, but her mugging and little-girl shtick didn’t age well. She just did’t seem capable of playing adult women characters unless they were deranged or feeble-minded.

by Anonymousreply 23February 17, 2023 3:13 AM

I liked her in The Woman in Red, but it feels like the kind of role meant for an up-and-comer, not someone supposedly famous. Was Lunch Hour well-received? I read the script a long time ago and thought it was okay (I also tried to imagine a movie adaptation).

by Anonymousreply 24February 17, 2023 3:18 AM

Jewess Jeans

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 17, 2023 3:22 AM

In the 1970s there were so many small homely girls like her.

by Anonymousreply 26February 17, 2023 3:29 AM

She absolutely disappeared into the characters she created. None of the stupid cracking-up that is SNL now. She was a total professional.

by Anonymousreply 27February 17, 2023 3:51 AM

I thought she was annoying on SNL but somehow saw a matinee of her one-woman show, Live from New York, because it was one of the few options left at Hot Tix. I thought she was absolutely charming, particularly a number she did harmonizing with back-up singers. You can rent the show on Amazon as Gilda Live. In a live setting, she worked her butt off until you fell in love with her, but that magic didn't transfer to film or TV. She needed a live audience and comedy derived from improv for it to work. Otherwise, she was just a homely, middle-aged Jewish woman playing a role.

by Anonymousreply 28February 17, 2023 3:51 AM

How well did Fanny Brice do on film? Similar talent.

by Anonymousreply 29February 17, 2023 3:53 AM

[quote]She absolutely disappeared into the characters she created. None of the stupid cracking-up that is SNL now. She was a total professional.

I’ll give her that; she had solid improv skills, and was able to keep her composure during the sketches:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 17, 2023 4:00 AM

R17 How could Gene Siskel tell she was "severely dehydrated" in a film?

by Anonymousreply 31February 17, 2023 4:12 AM

R15 Laraine actually seems very cool and funny in real life - her Twitter is worth following,

Gilda was always too needy for my taste - especially in comedy where you’re supposed to be a bit cooler than tho . Idk, her humor was never really my taste.

by Anonymousreply 32February 17, 2023 4:15 AM

Most people found her lovable.

by Anonymousreply 33February 17, 2023 4:16 AM

I’m the reason anyone even knew her name……..

by Anonymousreply 34February 17, 2023 4:20 AM

It was exactly the same mugging for each character on SNL, it seems to me.

by Anonymousreply 35February 17, 2023 4:32 AM

[quote]I thought she was absolutely charming, particularly a number she did harmonizing with back-up singers.

Was that “Touch Me With My Clothes On”, by any chance?

by Anonymousreply 36February 17, 2023 4:54 AM

[quote]Any eldergays see her stage show?

I did! I was actually at one of the performances that they filmed which were at the Colonial Theater in Boston. We were all handed a release stating that by attending the performance we were giving our permission to be seen in reaction shots in the film.

I loved it and Gilda was very funny and lovable. When she sang the end of "The Way We Were" as Lisa Loopner, it was very touching! Poor Gilda. Her autobiography is very depressing, be warned.

by Anonymousreply 37February 17, 2023 5:07 AM

Yes… Gilda was pretty much one-note. However, Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, Jane Curtain, and Garrett Morris were also fairly one-note, usually just playing variations of themselves. Ackroyd, Belushi and Newman, on the other hand, were better at impressions and creating a variety of original characters.

by Anonymousreply 38February 17, 2023 5:07 AM

[quote]Her autobiography is very depressing, be warned.

Gene Wilder’s was very straightforward and it was a bit of a gut punch how candid he was about the dynamics of his relationship with Gilda.

It made me a little sad, but I appreciated his honesty.

by Anonymousreply 39February 17, 2023 5:12 AM

R39, what did Gene say about their relationship?

by Anonymousreply 40February 17, 2023 5:41 AM

Goodbye saccharine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41February 17, 2023 7:16 AM

^^Linda Ronstadt was one of Gilda’s backup singers?!

by Anonymousreply 42February 17, 2023 8:26 AM

[quote]Gene Wilder’s was very straightforward and it was a bit of a gut punch how candid he was about the dynamics of his relationship with Gilda.

That & he got married like a hot second after she died. Like you said, I appreciated his honesty instead of the "oh, she was a living saint, let me tell you", but it did feel cringey - like someone you don't know well telling you some really personal detail you didn't exactly want to hear

by Anonymousreply 43February 17, 2023 9:52 AM

It's always fun to speak ill of the (34 years?) dead, but, as someone way too young to have watched SNL in 1975, I love all of those coked out, manic, insane Not Ready For Prime Time Players.

by Anonymousreply 44February 17, 2023 10:12 AM

I saw the comedy documentary “Gilda Live” and think that it was a big disappointment at the time. Her performance and the characters she created didn’t translate into this format well. I was a huge admirer of her when I was a kid, though. Like the post above, I really wanted to enjoy her films, but didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 45February 17, 2023 10:17 AM

For r40:

[quote]Having seen two previous marriages end badly, Mr. Wilder was naturally wary of Ms. Radner's volatility (not to mention the fact that she was married when they met). He describes having been alarmed by her clinginess ("as much as I loved being with her, I wanted to breathe again without having to worry about her") and self-involvement ("I began to resent how much energy she poured into her fears and childish needs").

Having lent Gene’s book to someone and never having it returned, this is the only excerpt I could find online where Gene wrote candidly about Gilda’s neurotic tendencies.

by Anonymousreply 46February 17, 2023 10:17 AM

R8 - I saw the live show live. It was a lot of fun. Somewhere, I'm sure I've still got the mimeographed lyrics of "The Way We Were."

by Anonymousreply 47February 17, 2023 10:19 AM

I blame her handlers, someone should’ve gotten her on to the Carol Burnette Show, or put together a similar show.

If not for the cancer, she would’ve been a FABULOUS 5th Golden Girl! (Or nosy neighbor)

by Anonymousreply 48February 17, 2023 10:30 AM

Penny Marshall wanted her for "Laverne and Shirley." That would have been a near perfect fit for Gilda Radner's talents I do dare say.

I feel sorry for Gilda Rader. She was quite ill with Ovarian Cancer for God knows how long before she was properly diagnosed. That's heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 49February 17, 2023 10:36 AM

I know a woman who was funny on SNL. And then she died.

by Anonymousreply 50February 17, 2023 10:56 AM

I think the original SNL cast had contempt for the idea of doing a sitcom so Gilda no doubt resisted any suggestion she pursue such a project. Wasn’t she the first choice for Olive Oyl in Altman’s Popeye? Hard to imagine anyone but Shelley Duvall in the role but I’m sure I read that.

It’s a shame her projects with Wilder were so disappointing. It’s interesting to speculate about what roles she could have played after SNL ended. She could have been good in the Teri Garr role in Tootsie. And she would have been better than Lily Tomlin as The Incredible Shrinking Woman. Not sure what else. The 80s movie formula didn’t really lend itself to quirky comedic actresses like Radner.

by Anonymousreply 51February 17, 2023 11:07 AM

"She needed more of a Woody Allen in her corner,"

Nobody needs that.

I don't care how much you hated her performances.

by Anonymousreply 52February 17, 2023 11:26 AM

[quote]If not for the cancer, she would’ve been a FABULOUS 5th Golden Girl! (Or nosy neighbor)

She was born in 1946, she was too young to have been a Golden Girl. She would have been 39 when the show started.

by Anonymousreply 53February 17, 2023 2:56 PM

[quote]I blame her handlers, someone should’ve gotten her on to the Carol Burnette Show, or put together a similar show.

I wonder if she stayed in Toronto with her Godspell cast-mates and joined them on SCTV, how that would have worked out. Maybe she’d have developed more varied and nuanced characters in that environment. IMO, SCTV was WAY more funny and entertaining than SNL.

by Anonymousreply 54February 17, 2023 5:33 PM

She was endearing...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 17, 2023 5:40 PM

Gene had moved on well before Gilda's death. He was nothing like his public persona, quite a narcissistic asshole in fact. Gene bragged that after Gilda became too ill to have sex he never demanded that she satisfy him orally. Like that made him some kind of martyr.

by Anonymousreply 56February 17, 2023 5:44 PM

Gilda had a comeback on the Garry Shandling Show and was in talks to do a sitcom, but the cancer came back and the show was put on hold.

I agree that it was a disappointment her career faltered for the 5 years between SNL and getting sick and it is Gene Wilder’s fault. His brand of comedy wasn’t hers and they didn’t mesh well artistically.

I have no doubt she would have won a second TV Emmy though had she not died.

by Anonymousreply 57February 17, 2023 5:48 PM

Bad Clams

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 17, 2023 5:53 PM

Demons would have prevented any long-term commitment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 17, 2023 5:55 PM

As Christina

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60February 17, 2023 7:09 PM

She dated A LOT of men. She seemed to be addicted to them, and once said she couldn’t watch “Ghostbusters” because she had a relationship with every guy in the film (except for Rick Moranis and Ernie Hudson.)

by Anonymousreply 61February 17, 2023 8:36 PM

She also dated Martin Short.

by Anonymousreply 62February 17, 2023 8:41 PM

Did she leave G. E. Smith (ex-husband, SNL musician) for Gene Wilder? I'd rather be married to G. E.

by Anonymousreply 63February 17, 2023 8:45 PM

Women with low self esteem are attracted to men who treat them badly.

by Anonymousreply 64February 17, 2023 8:49 PM

R61 how many is a lot? Her two husbands, Murray and Akyroyd?

by Anonymousreply 65February 17, 2023 11:55 PM

She was considered for the Glenn Close part in Fatal Attraction, can you imagine?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 17, 2023 11:59 PM

How many under-40s would have the courage to make themselves ugly for laffs? Gen Z humor is all about being 'cooler-than-thou'.

by Anonymousreply 67February 18, 2023 12:47 AM

She was needy--works in a sketch but not on a weekly series or a 100 min feature film.

by Anonymousreply 68February 18, 2023 1:01 AM

[quote] She could have been good in the Teri Garr role in Tootsie

NO.

by Anonymousreply 69February 18, 2023 1:41 AM

Doomed Jewish Girl Non-Fiction

The Diary of Anne Frank- Anne Frank

It's Always Something - Gilda Radner

Then... take the gas pipe!

I was in a deep depression when I read it and when I was finished I thought, "Why did I read this, I KNOW how it fucking ends!" Oh, Gilda, it's crazy how long she's been gone. I was only twelve watching the first season of SNL and I actually watched it with my dad who was a huge fan of Belushi and Gilda.

by Anonymousreply 70February 18, 2023 2:19 AM

A serious side of Gilda in an interview. I can imagine her in dramatic roles in the vein of Diane Keaton, Holly Hunter, etc. Sadly, we'll never see her grow as an actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 18, 2023 3:45 AM

[quote] [R61] how many is a lot? Her two husbands, Murray and Akyroyd?

Her other romances: Jeffrey Rubinoff, Martin Short, Harold Ramis, Peter Firth, Brian-Doyle Murray, and a few others.

by Anonymousreply 72February 18, 2023 6:46 AM

Teri Garr didn't think Gene was such a great guy.

by Anonymousreply 73February 18, 2023 1:15 PM

Richard Pryor once said Gene was “…as queer as a three dollar bill,” and coming from Richard, I believe it.

by Anonymousreply 74February 18, 2023 8:25 PM

[quote]Any eldergays see her stage show?

Yes, a friend took me to it in NYC on my 24th birthday. The theater was packed and the audience was very appreciative, I loved it. Side note - the friend who took me was a Gilda Radner look-a-like. People at the theater actually stopped and asked if she was her sister!

by Anonymousreply 75February 18, 2023 9:04 PM

Gene Wilder was a womanizer. He seemed a little "gay" because he was Jewish,

by Anonymousreply 76February 18, 2023 9:06 PM

I listened to the GW’s audiobook many years ago. I concur with the previous posters’ reviews. I was disappointed on many levels.

by Anonymousreply 77February 18, 2023 9:47 PM

I hate to say this but she really was not all that and her one woman show at the Winter Garden was a big bore.

by Anonymousreply 78February 18, 2023 9:52 PM

Any eldergays see her stage show?

yes, what i recall more than the content and her performance was the total WORSHIP by the audience.

listening to the album and seeing some of the bits on youtube in the ensuing years, ......... Lily Tomlin it ain't.

by Anonymousreply 79February 18, 2023 10:19 PM

What really seems ridiculous now is that after her sold out triumph at the Wintergarden she opened on Broadway in a Jean Kerr comedy that ran for 6 months. Anyone know what Mike Nichols thought of her in that turkey?

Who saw that???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80February 18, 2023 10:27 PM

[QUOTE]Gene Wilder was a womanizer

How does this happen to LITERALLY the ugliest man alive?! Are there that many self-hating women waiting for some squash-faced fucker to fall off the back of an unrefrigerated produce truck, FFS?

by Anonymousreply 81February 18, 2023 10:50 PM

I have always found him weirdly attractive, starting in the 60s with 'Bonnie and Clyde'.

by Anonymousreply 82February 18, 2023 11:13 PM

Maybe he had a big dick

by Anonymousreply 83February 18, 2023 11:27 PM

Being a movie star is more sexually alluring than anything or anybody.

by Anonymousreply 84February 18, 2023 11:35 PM

Gene may or may not have been gay/bi, but he certainly was gay-friendly. Willy Wonka and the Waco Kid are steeped in coding, and Wilder once referred to his chemistry with Pryor as being “similar to sexual attraction.” I’m also surprised he was supposedly a womanizer because he had zero sexual chemistry with his female co-stars… including Gilda.

by Anonymousreply 85February 18, 2023 11:40 PM

Unfunny and unlucky

by Anonymousreply 86February 18, 2023 11:41 PM

[quote]Maybe he had a big dick

That might work with MALES...

by Anonymousreply 87February 18, 2023 11:56 PM

Any lesbian rumors regarding Gilda?

by Anonymousreply 88February 18, 2023 11:57 PM

Gene had an affair with Teri Garr.

by Anonymousreply 89February 19, 2023 12:18 AM

R89 Teri Garr hated Gene

by Anonymousreply 90February 19, 2023 12:40 AM

According to Martin Short, Gilda was a high maintenance crazy person 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 91February 19, 2023 12:49 AM

The reason so many guys fell for Gilda was because she was the epitome of the manic-pixie dream girl, but that gets weird after 30..

by Anonymousreply 92February 19, 2023 1:06 AM

R92 I see that expression thrown around here 24/7 (speaking of) abs what does that even mean?

First of all I thought manic pixie dream girls were at least attractive to pretty.

by Anonymousreply 93February 19, 2023 1:38 AM

Wilder separated from his second wife after seven years of marriage, because she suspected that Wilder was having an affair with his Young Frankenstein co-star, Madeline Kahn. After the divorce, he briefly dated his other Frankenstein co-star, Teri Garr.

by Anonymousreply 94February 19, 2023 1:40 AM

I think Melanie Griffith in Something Wild with Jeff Daniels as the manic pixie dream girl type. Melanie was sexually attractive in that. I don’t think Gilda had sexy in her wheelhouse.

by Anonymousreply 95February 19, 2023 1:46 AM

R27 yes she was very talented. Part of the problem with the constant " cracking up" among current SNL actors is the moron audience encourages it. If an actor even smirks the audience is whooping and cheering like a bunch of dumbasses.

by Anonymousreply 96February 19, 2023 1:54 AM

If Richard Pryor said Gene Wilder is queer, then that means Gene Wilder was gay or bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 97February 19, 2023 2:10 AM

Didn't Richard Pryor readily admit to having slept with a number of men himself?

by Anonymousreply 98February 19, 2023 4:54 AM

I saw Lunch Hour. It was a play that would have worked better in the late 60s with Sandy Dennis. Gilda was fine and the audience loved her. Sam Waterston was very hot.

by Anonymousreply 99February 19, 2023 5:01 AM

Of the SNL ppl, Aycroyd, Belushi, Chase, Curtain, Newman - Gilda was my favorite. I still vividly picture her Roseanne Rosannadanna, Baba Wawa, in the dating skits with, oh, two of the guys - anyway, she stands out in my memory and the others don't, esp Belushi and that hamburger thing.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I read her autobiography and it was so sad. I think her father died when she was young and it really hit her hard - I also think her mother might have been a narcissist, displeased with her chubby daughter. But it was long ago... I do think Wilder was a jerk but that's so many in show biz, most of them?

by Anonymousreply 100February 19, 2023 5:53 AM

R63- I never heard of him until now. He's somewhat good looking but looks as QUEER as a thirteen dollar bill.

by Anonymousreply 101February 19, 2023 6:19 AM

R63- He's got the GAY STARE in the eyes and GAY lips.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102February 19, 2023 6:22 AM

One of the saddest things I've ever seen was Steve Martin giving an emotional tribute to Gilda on SNL after she had passed away earlier that day.

by Anonymousreply 103February 19, 2023 12:24 PM

Emily Litella

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104February 19, 2023 5:51 PM

R79 I saw Lily Tomlin's one-woman show (a later version, guess - in San Francisco, around 2002). It was a real snooze. There were, like, two minutes of anything interesting.

by Anonymousreply 105February 19, 2023 6:21 PM

I loved Colleen Fernman, her "special" character, adapted as Christina Crawford at R60. Here she is in "The Dating Zone" (at 12:00).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106February 20, 2023 1:01 AM

Babba wahwa had her blacklisted.

by Anonymousreply 107February 20, 2023 1:09 AM

I thought Babba Wahwa was the worst impression on the show because it was basically “Gilda with a speech impediment.”

by Anonymousreply 108February 20, 2023 2:13 AM

Second the comment on Tomlin being about as interesting as watching paint drying.

by Anonymousreply 109February 20, 2023 4:10 AM

R108 I agree it was stupid. Certainly can’t compare it to Cheri Oteri which was a real impression - which may be why Barbara actually was cool with it.

by Anonymousreply 110February 20, 2023 8:01 AM

[quote]I saw Lily Tomlin's one-woman show (a later version, guess - in San Francisco, around 2002). It was a real snooze.

I remain shocked that NO ONE would say the emperor had no clothes regarding Lily Tomlin's show. Her script was a dated 70s-style effort and felt tired even when it was brand new. It was so twee and had very little new to say. Everyone crawled all over themselves to offer hosannahs, but I never got the freaking hype.

by Anonymousreply 111February 21, 2023 4:51 AM

Lily Tomlin's show was too fucking long. Certain scenes went on forever while others went nowhere. I'm a huge fan but I was bored.

by Anonymousreply 112February 21, 2023 1:30 PM

Good Clerk/Bad Clerk

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113March 2, 2023 9:13 PM

[quote] In the 1970s there were so many small homely girls like her.

I was the original

by Anonymousreply 114April 11, 2024 3:32 AM

I loved Gilda, but unlike other great comediennes of the period (like Catherine O'Hara or Madeline Kahn) she really needed other actors on camera with her to prop her up. One reason why Jane Curtin did so much better after SNL was that she could really act, but Gilda was more like Harpo marx--she was just sort of a zany.

by Anonymousreply 115April 11, 2024 3:54 AM

Jane Curtin was also conventionally attractive which went a long way, especially in the early 1980s. Plus I think a lot of guys in comedy had a thing for her. She was sort of like the captain of the cheerleading squad for nerdy comedians.

by Anonymousreply 116April 12, 2024 3:01 AM

I don’t think Gilda was suited for a big movie career - like fellow Toronto “Godspell” alumna Andrea Martin, she was a Brillo character actress best seen on stage or in TV sketch comedy.

by Anonymousreply 117April 12, 2024 3:27 AM

“Brilliant” - not Brillo god damned auto correct.

I think Gilda probably preferred Scotch brand scrubbing pads.

by Anonymousreply 118April 12, 2024 3:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!