Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bruce Willis has Frontotemporal Dementia

"As a family, we wanted to take this opportunity to thank you all for the outpouring of love and compassion for Bruce over the past ten months. Your generosity of spirit has been overwhelming, and we are tremendously grateful for it. For your kindness, and because we know you love Bruce as much as we do, we wanted to give you an update."

"Since we announced Bruce’s diagnosis of aphasia in spring 2022, Bruce’s condition has progressed and we now have a more specific diagnosis: frontotemporal dementia (known as FTD). Unfortunately, challenges with communication are just one symptom of the disease Bruce faces. While this is painful, it is a relief to finally have a clear diagnosis,

"FTD is a cruel disease that many of us have never heard of and can strike anyone. For people under 60, FTD is the most common form of dementia, and because getting the diagnosis can take years, FTD is likely much more prevalent than we know. Today there are no treatments for the disease, a reality that we hope can change in the years ahead. As Bruce’s condition advances, we hope that any media attention can be focused on shining a light on this disease that needs far more awareness and research."

They added, "Bruce always believed in using his voice in the world to help others, and to raise awareness about important issues both publicly and privately. We know in our hearts that – if he could today -- he would want to respond by bringing global attention and a connectedness with those who are also dealing with this debilitating disease and how it impacts so many individuals and their families."

"Ours is just one family with a loved one who suffers from FTD, and we encourage others facing it to seek out the wealth of information and support available through AFTD (@theaftd, theaftd.org). And for those of you who have been fortunate enough to not have any personal experience with FTD, we hope that you will take the time to learn about it, and support AFTD’s mission in whatever way you can,"

They concluded, "Bruce has always found joy in life – and has helped everyone he knows to do the same. It has meant the world to see that sense of care echoed back to him and to all of us. We have been so moved by the love you have all shared for our dear husband, father, and friend during this difficult time. Your continued compassion, understanding, and respect will enable us to help Bruce live as full a life as possible."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126February 21, 2023 4:56 PM

He also has shallow nostrils.

by Anonymousreply 1February 16, 2023 6:53 PM

Does his big dick still work?

by Anonymousreply 2February 16, 2023 6:53 PM

But does he have a hanging columella?

by Anonymousreply 3February 16, 2023 6:54 PM

Are those prefrontal boogers visible in those nostrils?

by Anonymousreply 4February 16, 2023 6:56 PM

Sad news.

by Anonymousreply 5February 16, 2023 6:56 PM

R2 I thought the same thing.....I'm terrible

by Anonymousreply 6February 16, 2023 6:57 PM

My first thought re his nostrils was coke.

by Anonymousreply 7February 16, 2023 7:00 PM

I thought it was known that he had dementia.

by Anonymousreply 8February 16, 2023 7:00 PM

Probably hasn't forgotten Aaron Carter's ass, though.

by Anonymousreply 9February 16, 2023 7:02 PM

No. He was diagnosed with Aphasia. Now they know it’s demented

by Anonymousreply 10February 16, 2023 7:04 PM

And please, if you send flowers, do NOT send them through the FTD network...

by Anonymousreply 11February 16, 2023 7:04 PM

I think the signs of dementia were there judging from the descriptions of his behavior at the time. Both my parents and at least three of my uncles and an aunt had different forms and it sure sounded much like my experiences with them. I suspect the family was holding out hope until there was definitive agreement among the professionals. Aphasia would have been the preferable diagnosis, not just a symptom of a degenerative disease.

by Anonymousreply 12February 16, 2023 7:20 PM

Every DLer knows numerous people or is related to numerous people with every disease that ever existed. Allegedly. Only in reality most of them don’t know anyone who has dementia.

by Anonymousreply 13February 16, 2023 7:22 PM

R13,… huh? Have you checked yourself for dementia?

by Anonymousreply 14February 16, 2023 7:24 PM

So, I guess there’s not going to be Armageddon 2.

by Anonymousreply 15February 16, 2023 7:25 PM

I think most of us k ew it was dementia. It’s a horrible disease and yes I know someone who had it, my aunt. Death is preferable honestly because there is no quality of life.

by Anonymousreply 16February 16, 2023 7:25 PM

That photo was taken at an unfortunate angle. I’m sad for this guy and for his family.

by Anonymousreply 17February 16, 2023 7:28 PM

r13, most people with elderly relatives or friends have known someone with some form of dementia. There are many different types of the disease.

by Anonymousreply 18February 16, 2023 7:29 PM

Didn't we just have a thread about dementia being the #1 cause of death in the UK? It's not hard to know of someone who's affected if you live long enough.

by Anonymousreply 19February 16, 2023 7:31 PM
by Anonymousreply 20February 16, 2023 7:33 PM

Get the man a tissue..

by Anonymousreply 21February 16, 2023 7:34 PM

I think they knew it was dementia for awhile. Apparently Willis was working and showing signs of extreme cognitive decline. There would have been legal ramifications for the family if they knowingly had him on set (handling guns!!!!) with dementia.

They knew though.

by Anonymousreply 22February 16, 2023 7:38 PM

Yes, please!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 16, 2023 7:39 PM

"Cruel" frontolobal dementia....as compared to "kind" frontolobal dementia ?

My dad was diagnosed with 'frontolobal dementia' (neither kind nor cruel was part of the diagnosis) in the summer of 2019. He was fine living with me for a while, until November, 2019. We had to put him in assisted living, where he contracted COVID at the end of May, 2020 and passed away from COVID within a few days at the age of 88. Until he had COVID, he was doing pretty well with the frontolobal dementia - had many more 'good days' than 'bad days'. He knew who his family and friends were, kept up on the Trump saga and politics, and sports - he loved politics and sports.

by Anonymousreply 24February 16, 2023 7:40 PM

^^^^^Meant to say frontotemporal dementia above. Sorry !

by Anonymousreply 25February 16, 2023 7:41 PM

r13, how old are you? EVERYONE I know knows someone with dementia.

by Anonymousreply 26February 16, 2023 7:46 PM

r13, my mom is declining right now into dementia. It's horrible to watch. Some days she's more lucid than others and on one of those days she told her sister that she knew she had it and just wanted to die.

It's a fucking horrible disease and I truly hope you never encounter it.

by Anonymousreply 27February 16, 2023 8:08 PM

It's not him it's really Joe Biden that has dementia! They're hiding it and using Bruce as a cover!!!

by Anonymousreply 28February 16, 2023 8:12 PM

R26 it’s cute you’re switching between accounts to claim everyone knows someone with dementia, but that’s a falsity.

by Anonymousreply 29February 16, 2023 8:13 PM

Dementia in all forms is an awful ordeal for the patient and their caregivers. Fortunately, Willis’ family can afford to give him excellent care.

by Anonymousreply 30February 16, 2023 8:19 PM

There are 332 million people in the USA (and that’s documented people only). Close to 7 million people in the states have dementia. So while many people know someone who has it, that isn’t everyone.

It’s not nearly as prevalent here as it is in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 31February 16, 2023 8:21 PM

At least the family seem like a united and loving support system. They went into lockdown together in Colorado.

by Anonymousreply 32February 16, 2023 8:22 PM

“Frontotemporal”. So fancy!

by Anonymousreply 33February 16, 2023 8:37 PM

Why is it so prevalent in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 34February 16, 2023 8:38 PM

If its frontotemporal, it means he'simpulsive disorganized and literally lost in space. Not fun.

by Anonymousreply 35February 16, 2023 8:40 PM

Nimrat Haley is going to cancel his ass out of the Republican Party

by Anonymousreply 36February 16, 2023 8:47 PM

[quote]Both my parents and at least three of my uncles and an aunt had different forms.

So, R12, the chances are, you'll get it as well.

by Anonymousreply 37February 16, 2023 8:48 PM

Dopamine plays a big part like with Parkinson’s. I think there’s a coke connection.

by Anonymousreply 38February 16, 2023 8:48 PM

Now we'll never get a sequel to Color of Night!!!

by Anonymousreply 39February 16, 2023 8:49 PM

R12 if that’s true, that means it’s genetics, so you’re at high risk of getting it too.

by Anonymousreply 40February 16, 2023 8:50 PM

There was talk about him being cognitively impaired going back to 2015 when he started using an ear piece to have lines fed to him.

And he looks “vacant” in photos taken over the last three years.

by Anonymousreply 41February 16, 2023 8:51 PM

within the next 10-15 years they will get a handle on dementia. They will find a way to stop it once it starts.

by Anonymousreply 42February 16, 2023 8:58 PM

What is funny is in the USA Black people, Hispanic people and Asian people are most likely to get Dementia. In that order. White is least likely.

But in the UK it’s the opposite

by Anonymousreply 43February 16, 2023 9:09 PM

So when does he die?

by Anonymousreply 44February 16, 2023 9:19 PM

[quote]within the next 10-15 years they will get a handle on dementia.

Unfortunately I won't remember your post in 10-15 years, r42.

by Anonymousreply 45February 16, 2023 9:19 PM

[quote]So when does he die?

I had two neighbors with dementia. One had Lewy Body the other FTD. The one with Lewy Body went downhill FAST. Maybe two years between diagnosis and death. The other with FTD hung on for quite a few years with mild aphasia and some slight confusion, and then within a matter of weeks in December 2020, she became noticeably worse and by September she was dead.

by Anonymousreply 46February 16, 2023 9:27 PM

He'll still appear in 15 movies in 2023.

by Anonymousreply 47February 16, 2023 9:28 PM

Can people with dementia come out of the closet?

by Anonymousreply 48February 16, 2023 9:29 PM

Oh that's sad news.

by Anonymousreply 49February 16, 2023 9:29 PM

R29 I can assure you I don’t “switch between accounts” to prove a point and was just chiming in to claim that dementia is not uncommon. I figure you must be very young to not know anyone with dementia.

by Anonymousreply 50February 16, 2023 9:43 PM

This differentiates Dementia from Alzheimer’s. Other than ALS, I can’t imagine worse ways to die.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 16, 2023 9:44 PM

The leading cause of death in the UK? Are they sure it isn't Mad Cow disease. Seriously

by Anonymousreply 52February 16, 2023 9:52 PM

The man started his coke habit in the early 80's when he was a bartender at Cafe Central. He was a well-known serial coke hound. He continued the habit throughout his entire adult life. He was doing it backstage in his dressing room during the run of Misery. Don't tell me there's no connection.

by Anonymousreply 53February 16, 2023 10:04 PM

I’m surprised by the poster above who thinks it unusual to know people who have dementia. It’s extremely common.

The type of dementia is crucial. My mother had it, and her short-term and long-term memory were unaffected. Her dementia affected her personality, and expressed itself as depression and a lack of confidence. I cared for her for a number of years before she died of an unrelated illness, and her life was a little restricted by her illness, because she was only ever comfortable when her life (meal times, social events, visitors) was strictly regimented. As long as she led a regular, consistent life of routine, she coped well.

My mother’s best friend had it too, for a shorter period, and it destroyed her short-term memory, she was happy as Larry, but couldn’t remember a thing that happened 5 minutes ago.

Neither my mum nor her friend entirely lost their minds (their sense of self), and neither was badly affected until their late seventies.

Much more terrifying is the way it has affected a distant relative, who has been diagnosed at the age of 57. The idea of getting an illness like that at such a relatively young age terrifies me.

by Anonymousreply 54February 16, 2023 10:05 PM

And, it's genetic. Poor Rumer.

by Anonymousreply 55February 16, 2023 10:09 PM

[quote] The leading cause of death in the UK? Are they sure it isn't Mad Cow disease. Seriously

Life expectancy is lengthening in the UK, and rates of cardiovascular disease are decreasing. As people live longer, and don’t keel over from strokes or heart attacks in their sixties, age-related diseases such as dementia have a greater opportunity to appear on a death certificate.

by Anonymousreply 56February 16, 2023 10:09 PM

My dad got dementia from drinking. I really wish that folks knew how even moderate alcohol consumption is dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 57February 16, 2023 10:15 PM

[quote]My dad got dementia from drinking. I really wish that folks knew how even moderate alcohol consumption is dangerous.

And, yet, plenty of drinkers live just fine into old age.

by Anonymousreply 58February 16, 2023 10:23 PM

They probably don't drink until they pass out. That is a factor.

by Anonymousreply 59February 16, 2023 10:27 PM

Well, R57 said “moderate alcohol consumption”, r59.

by Anonymousreply 60February 16, 2023 10:28 PM

Yes, r58, they do. I'mr27. My step father is a huge alcoholic. He's had THREE heart attacks, diabetes, gout, etc. Not a healthy guy but he just turn 80 and still seems the same as he did in his 60's. He should have died a loooong time ago but now here he is attempting to take care of my mom who wasn't a smoker or a drinker BUT she lived with his emotionally abusive ass for a very long time after divorcing my physically abusive father.

I truly believe that a lot of Dementia is caused by stress and trauma.

by Anonymousreply 61February 16, 2023 10:30 PM

I agree, r61, people underestimate the toll stress can take.

by Anonymousreply 62February 16, 2023 10:32 PM

Stress has been linked to dementia.

by Anonymousreply 63February 16, 2023 10:33 PM

And so has insomnia and a lack of sleep. Apparently, they’re finding that sleep “washes” the brain of a plaque like substance that causes dementia. Not enough sleep allows it to build it.

by Anonymousreply 64February 16, 2023 10:39 PM

A ton of stuff seems to be linked to it unfortunately - poor diet, lack of exercise, isolation from other people when you’re older…the list goes on.

by Anonymousreply 65February 16, 2023 10:47 PM

Huntington’s Disease, R51, would be worse.

by Anonymousreply 66February 16, 2023 10:50 PM

"I truly believe that a lot of Dementia is caused by stress and trauma. "

Oh God. I'm in trouble then.

by Anonymousreply 67February 16, 2023 10:53 PM

Does he know Aaron Carter is dead?

by Anonymousreply 68February 16, 2023 10:53 PM

I have been diagnosed with Frontotemporal and Lewy Body dementia. My neurologist says I have symptoms of both. My family and friends this year noticed how impaired I am. I was able to hide it for several years, but since it is progressive, it's a matter of time before I can no longer care for myself.

Just the most recent example, I bought groceries last Monday and forgot about them in my car's trunk until Friday.

by Anonymousreply 69February 16, 2023 10:56 PM

Ha ha! I win!!

by Anonymousreply 70February 16, 2023 10:58 PM

by Anonymousreply 71February 16, 2023 11:02 PM

I’m pretty sure this is the thirteenth time I’ve read he has dementia.

by Anonymousreply 72February 16, 2023 11:07 PM

R68 Does he still know who Aaron Carter *is*? Er, was.

by Anonymousreply 73February 16, 2023 11:10 PM

R69 My heart goes out to you.

by Anonymousreply 74February 16, 2023 11:10 PM

R70 but you’ll die fat.

by Anonymousreply 75February 16, 2023 11:13 PM

Poor guy . It’s a horrendous disease. So fucking cruel

by Anonymousreply 76February 16, 2023 11:15 PM

My feeling is that dementia is going to drastically worsen with the generations growing up glued to their screens. I’m not in the medical field, but it can’t be good for your brain.

by Anonymousreply 77February 16, 2023 11:17 PM

R69- I'm so sorry . We love you. ❤️

by Anonymousreply 78February 16, 2023 11:19 PM

You’re down with F T D!

You don’t know me!

by Anonymousreply 79February 16, 2023 11:30 PM

Very Sad news, but he's blessed that his family and friends are there for him, very fortunate to have their unconditional love and support...

by Anonymousreply 80February 16, 2023 11:32 PM

I have never liked BW, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

by Anonymousreply 81February 16, 2023 11:38 PM

The "aphasia" story was a fake all along, because the family didn't want anyone who had him under contract when they were pushing Willis through the ringer making all those movies while he was out of it to come back at them.

"Aphasia" is a symptom, not explaining the diagnosis of its cause. It's like saying someone has been diagnosed with a limp. Not being able to speak easily or comprehend language is CAUSED by damage to the left part of the brain responsible (in part) for language.

His dementia at the time was apparent. The vague term, dementia, would at least have been more honest in the first place, as it is a catch-all condition of which aphasia can be a part.

The parts of the brain he appeared to be manifesting problems with are located in the frontal and temporal areas of the brain, on the left side for most people. Saying now that he has "frontotemporal dementia," as if it is a new diagnosis, is silly, since he was showing the symptoms at the time of the "aphasia" smokescreen.

The family and agent(s) just didn't want "dementia" to be publicized at the start, because they had been using this demented man as a workhorse to suck ever dollar they could from Willis. It would have looked worse than it already did.

Disgusting. But then most of what came out of the Willis family all these years has been rather disgusting. Bruce included.

What a terrible pack of people. And now they're doing the "followup" story to grab additional sympathy. They should be investigated for having been abusive to a person not capable of making his own decisions. He obviously didn't know what the fuck was going on on those sets of the last dozen or so "films" she threw him into.

by Anonymousreply 82February 17, 2023 12:47 AM

If they are humane , they will take Bruce to a state that euthanizes.

by Anonymousreply 83February 17, 2023 1:12 AM

R82- I totally agree with you, it was abuse and it is sickening that they are that damn greedy.

by Anonymousreply 84February 17, 2023 1:28 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 85February 17, 2023 1:30 AM

Yes, R84. And they're still using the media to cover up their bad-faith actions.

by Anonymousreply 86February 17, 2023 1:30 AM

R86- Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if they started a GFM account.

by Anonymousreply 87February 17, 2023 1:36 AM

He'll have less self-control so his closet walls will come tumbling down.

by Anonymousreply 88February 17, 2023 1:50 AM

Didn't he have sex with underaged Aaron Carter?

by Anonymousreply 89February 17, 2023 1:51 AM

R89- Didn't he spend an insane amount of money on Aaron?

by Anonymousreply 90February 17, 2023 1:57 AM

Has anyone else listened to the podcast Haileywood? It’s very. good and show what a complete asshole Willis is. That said, would wish this disease on anyone. P

by Anonymousreply 91February 17, 2023 2:00 AM

^wouldn’t…

by Anonymousreply 92February 17, 2023 2:01 AM

Willis on The One Show ten years ago. The media mocked him at the time. Poor guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93February 17, 2023 2:07 AM

^ So he was showing signs as early as his late 50s. Definitely qualifies as an early onset case.

by Anonymousreply 94February 17, 2023 2:12 AM

So I guess he forgot he had three adult daughters when he had the new batch of kids recently.

by Anonymousreply 95February 17, 2023 2:54 AM

Since he won’t need it anymore…can I have his money?

by Anonymousreply 96February 17, 2023 2:57 AM

Yes, r96, go and get it!

by Anonymousreply 97February 17, 2023 3:05 AM

He will probably lose his filter and babble incessantly about Aaron Carter's hole...family gatherings will be even more awkward.

by Anonymousreply 98February 17, 2023 3:05 AM

Story from podcast mentioned upthread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99February 17, 2023 3:13 AM

I’ve had both grandfathers and a father and a grandmother that have/had Alzheimer’s.

They say that by the time you start noticing symptoms, they’ve most likely had it ten to twelve years or so.

by Anonymousreply 100February 17, 2023 3:19 AM

r82 -

[QUOTE]The family and agent(s) just didn't want "dementia" to be publicized at the start, because they had been using this demented man as a workhorse to suck ever dollar they could from Willis.

You are describing what most families would have done IF the family member engaged in a job that did not require mental/cognitive skills, but just behaving by rote. As long as he wasn't handling a live gun a la Alec Baldwin, how bad was it to keep Willis occupied and engaged in familiar activities? By all accounts, his work day was short and limited to mornings before "sundowning" occurred. And he was supported by assistants probably much nicer and more patient than an average CNA at an Alzheimer's care nursing home.

Also, keep in mind that extended "memory care" is extremely expensive and not covered by insurance or Medicare. I know the Willis situation isn't comparable to the rest of us, but unless a family member is willing to give up their life and career, there aren't good options for average middle or working class folks unless somehow they accumulated a large savings to spend on nursing homes before the family goes tits up with bills.

Why not have him engaged in daily, supervised activities he's familiar with in environments and settings that he's comfortable with? He was active and engaged, albeit with a lot of support from assistants

by Anonymousreply 101February 17, 2023 6:22 AM

Kind of agree r101. If he enjoyed working and the crew could adequately deal with his symptoms then fine The work might have even helped keep him more oriented up to a point. But I think they let him work too long.

by Anonymousreply 102February 17, 2023 6:31 AM

I feel bad for his youngest daughters. Arent they under 10? And Daddy's already fading away

by Anonymousreply 103February 17, 2023 7:35 AM

WTF he got stuck up his nose?

by Anonymousreply 104February 17, 2023 9:34 AM

Don't look at me, R104. I left all my pebbles in my sister's snatch.

by Anonymousreply 105February 17, 2023 9:57 AM

R99 iheart = Clear Channel = Putin State TV

by Anonymousreply 106February 17, 2023 11:11 AM

[quote] I feel bad for his youngest daughters. Arent they under 10?

Is he like Regarding Henry now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107February 17, 2023 1:01 PM

[quote][R69]- I'm so sorry . We love you. ❤️

You're gonna have to tell him again 5 days from now.

by Anonymousreply 108February 19, 2023 10:06 AM

HE WAS A MEAN OLD CUSS TO EV BODY FOR LONG TIME.....

by Anonymousreply 109February 19, 2023 10:16 AM

coke nose.

by Anonymousreply 110February 19, 2023 10:17 AM

Horrible but true r108.

by Anonymousreply 111February 19, 2023 10:53 AM

ALL THAT COKE UP HIS NOSE GAVE HIM DEMENTIA. HIM A BEAST OF SNOW.....

by Anonymousreply 112February 19, 2023 11:07 AM

R82, I agree. This was a “New Development”, somehow, on CNN. His wife and their PR team had to blast it all over, once the checks cashed and they knew he was a dead horse. Vile.

People talk shot about Britney’s family, but Willis’s is the same.

Terrible people.

by Anonymousreply 113February 19, 2023 11:09 AM

[quote]It's a fucking horrible disease and I truly hope you never encounter it.

I'm not as nice as you. I truly hope the people who use the disease to score cheap, political points and think it's funny to use "Dementia Joe" or even say Trump has it because they want to ridicule either man, ends up with someone they love getting it. It's what they deserve for using a cruel disease as a cudgel.

by Anonymousreply 114February 19, 2023 11:43 AM

R13

Average age of DL posters ranges from 40 to near death. You live that long and you're bound to know persons who have all sorts of illnesses; this especially the various ones that seem to strike middle age to elderly.

by Anonymousreply 115February 19, 2023 12:16 PM

R82 - that makes a whole lot of sense. It seems like every time I have gone to look for something to watch over the past couple of years - there was a new Bruce Willis movie. I was wondering what the hell was going on because there seemed to be far too many Willis films coming out and he wasn't himself in the films I tried watching. Anyway - thanks for your post. It makes a lot of sense and fills in the gaps.

by Anonymousreply 116February 19, 2023 9:32 PM

Well, at least it's not Backtemporal dementia.

by Anonymousreply 117February 19, 2023 10:33 PM

Bruce and I did back temporal in a limousine back in 1987.

by Anonymousreply 118February 19, 2023 10:45 PM

Here's when I knew something was REALLY wrong with my father, and he didn't just have "garden variety dementia" as I referred to it. (which my mother had; couldn't remember a damn thing within the past 5 minutes, but had her long-term memory & was happy as a Lark)

To set the scene: My father's house was on the corner a T-intersection in a neighborhood with lots of foot-traffic in the afternoons & early evenings. Neighbors walking their dogs, neighbors with baby strollers, or just out for a some exercise. Every day, he sat on his front porch, enjoying the fresh air & afternoon sun as he watched "life in the neighborhood."

One day after work, I called him to check-in (he had help at home). I asked him how his day was/what was going on? He told me that a railroad was being built down the middle of Elm Ave (the street that ran along the side of his house). I responded, "A railroad??" Oh, yes! There was all sorts of construction going on, he said. Big machines were tearing up the street to lay down the tracks.

I thought to myself, "Okay...obviously there must be some kind of construction starting on Elm with heavy equipment." Repairing a sewer main, or resurfacing, something like that. And his mind, he'd spun into his childhood love of railroad trains & the Red Cars, whatever. I'd see what he was talking about in a couple days when I visited & we went out to lunch.

When I arrived at his house couple days later, there was nothing -- no street work of any kind around his house. I asked his caregiver about what he'd said on the phone. She replied, "Oh, he told you that, too? I don't know what that's about. Have you heard the WHOLE theory? It's a doozy!"

She wasn't kidding! Not only was an actual rail-line being laid down the middle of the street...he was convinced that his Iranian neighbors across Elm Ave were already moving their illegal-alien relatives between homes, in underground tunnels. Three of the homes had connecting tunnels. The railway just would make it easier for "them" to ship more of their illegal Iranian-relatives into the neighborhood.

I can't say that my father never had racist/bigoted thought, because I can't KNOW what was really in his mind & heart....but this was shocking & bizarre to me. Totally contradictory to his behavior/thoughts/views during the first 45 years I knew him. I'd never seen him express hostility toward any immigrant group, or people of color. (just extreme right wingers)

It got worse from there -- not the irrational paranoia toward his Iranian neighbors (thankfully) -- but the extremely vivid hallucinations/delusions, in general. While staying with him one afternoon, he wandered into the living room and asked where my brother was. I replied, "He's in Florida, Dad. That's where he lives." And he argued that no he wasn't!! He was HERE, somewhere -- he'd just spoken to him! They were supposed to go to the Post Office together.

By the end (the last couple months he was alive), he referred to me as his "Captor" and his caregivers were the my "thugs" who were holding him captive against his will in "this facility" (his home of nearly 20 years).

He constantly threatened to call the LAPD to report me for elder abuse, AND sue me in civil court!! (ever the lawyer, to the end). I can laugh about the whole thing now.....but Lewy Body Dementia is no joke.

by Anonymousreply 119February 20, 2023 2:07 AM

Tl:dr

by Anonymousreply 120February 20, 2023 9:49 AM

Fathering such fugly daughters must have made him lose his mind at a young age.

by Anonymousreply 121February 20, 2023 10:35 AM

He’s going to live forever. He will have moments of clarity and moments of paranoia. Someone evil will convince him that his family are his enemies. This person will get Bruce’s fortune.

This person may even convince Bruce to serve as the spokesperson for some crazy cause like QAnon.

The family probably announced his illness to get ahead of a mess like this. Very sad. I pity his family, especially the current wife.

by Anonymousreply 122February 20, 2023 12:59 PM

Will he be able to memorize his lines?

by Anonymousreply 123February 20, 2023 1:11 PM

No R123. He'll be like a cabbage.

by Anonymousreply 124February 20, 2023 1:32 PM

I like cabbage.

by Anonymousreply 125February 20, 2023 1:34 PM

I'll bet the Carter kid loved all that roughage.

by Anonymousreply 126February 21, 2023 4:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!