Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let’s talk about Lani O’Grady of Eight is Enough

My favorite Bradford who died too young. Seemed to be a kind person who suffered a great deal of pain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 5, 2023 10:23 PM

Do you think she was a Lezzie?

by Anonymousreply 1February 16, 2023 6:34 PM

Did she know Kate Jackson?

by Anonymousreply 2February 16, 2023 6:38 PM

No question about it, R1.

I think being closeted was behind at least part of her suffering.

by Anonymousreply 3February 16, 2023 6:38 PM

Lani and her brother Don Grady were not Irish-American. They were Italian-Americans whose real name was Agrati.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 16, 2023 6:46 PM

There isn't much to say, as there isn't much info out there about her.

by Anonymousreply 5February 16, 2023 7:04 PM

My mom was quick to tell a 6 yr old gayling that Mary Bradford was the lesbian of the Bradford household.

by Anonymousreply 6February 16, 2023 7:41 PM

Was Mom a lez? Are you?

by Anonymousreply 7February 16, 2023 10:43 PM

Lani was a great lady . She had terrible anxiety that often resulted in panic attacks. Dianne Kay said on a podcast , that Lani took on the nurturing mother role after Dianna Hyland passed on camera and off . Dianne said it was very rewarding and comforting for Lani . Betty B arrived and caused a lot of tension with her horrid mood swings . Dianne and Lani were very close friends

by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2023 3:25 AM

^ What podcast?

by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2023 3:31 AM

I liked her a lot. She really seemed to care about all of them (except Abbie)

by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2023 3:37 AM

I remember Willie Aames said she was very nice but as said above had anxiety as soon as the red light came on. She would ask the writers to not give her so many lines, which is the opposite of what most actors want. Reminds me of Estelle Getty asking the writers to give her lines to the other ladies.

by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2023 3:43 AM

Mary was pretty much everyone’s favorite Bradford, wasn’t she? Or was that just me?

by Anonymousreply 12March 18, 2023 3:47 AM

I thought Mary was the most interesting character on the show. She was definitely my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2023 3:50 AM

So good in Massacre at Central High!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 18, 2023 4:04 AM

Lani came across as genuinely kind in 8 is Enough, as I recall. Had no idea she was Don’s sister. They like the numbered shows.

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2023 4:09 AM

So much hotness in one family!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 18, 2023 4:25 AM

The talent agent character in Licorice Pizza is based on Don and Mary’s deal-life mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 18, 2023 4:34 AM

She’s #10 in this rundown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 18, 2023 4:39 AM

She was very unusual

by Anonymousreply 19November 5, 2023 2:01 PM

Stunning and brave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 5, 2023 2:13 PM

Has Susan Dey commented?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 5, 2023 2:15 PM

Lani was one of the most talented Bradfords ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter on Oak Street in Sacramento. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 22November 5, 2023 2:46 PM

I found the character of Mary irritating. She continued to be an earnest hippie with no sense of humor into the '80s. Mary spent one entire episode shouting at her family to "BE QUIET!! CAN'T YOU SEE I'M TRYING TO STUDY?!? IF I FLUNK OUT IT WILL BE YOUR FAULT!!!!" to the point that Tom actually gave her $200 to move the fuck out.

She was not a likeable character.

by Anonymousreply 23November 5, 2023 4:14 PM

Did any of the Bradford girls ever get recruited into prostitution, like Tootie did on Facts of Life?

That would be a Very Special Episode…

by Anonymousreply 24November 5, 2023 6:43 PM

She reminded me of Geri Jewell - Blair's cousin from Facts of Life

by Anonymousreply 25November 5, 2023 6:47 PM

Better than Susan Richardson…

by Anonymousreply 26November 5, 2023 6:54 PM

R14 I still can't get over the first time I saw that movie on cable and Mary Bradford had her tits out.

by Anonymousreply 27November 5, 2023 7:06 PM

My little brother always confused her with Jamie Lee Curtis and called her Halloween girl. Was it the husky voice? Androgynous features?

by Anonymousreply 28November 5, 2023 7:41 PM

r28 Your brother is the one to ask - not us.

by Anonymousreply 29November 5, 2023 7:56 PM

R23 a lot of teen lesbians wee like that in the late 70s

by Anonymousreply 30November 5, 2023 9:39 PM

A friend of mine sat behind her and her husband at a Blue Oyster Cult concert around the time she was on the show. Said she was completely wasted and started pumping her fist in the air when they played "Fear the Reaper."

by Anonymousreply 31November 5, 2023 10:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!