Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Extrapolations: Apple’s latest celeb-filled trainwreck

My God they don’t have a pulse on streaming

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 7, 2023 10:15 PM

Dear Edward is supposed to suck.

by Anonymousreply 1February 16, 2023 12:43 AM

It does

by Anonymousreply 2February 16, 2023 1:01 AM

HOLY SHIT THAT TRAILER SUCKS

by Anonymousreply 3February 16, 2023 3:26 AM

I got about halfway though the first episode before I gave up. Absolute drivel. What a shame as the premise is interesting.

by Anonymousreply 4March 17, 2023 8:02 PM

Shame it wasn't executed well, it's an important subject. And to cast the likes of Streep for a few minutes work and get her to voice a talking whale.

by Anonymousreply 5March 17, 2023 8:03 PM

Daveed Diggs may know how to sing, but he can’t act, let alone barely talk, he’s got this squeaky unappealing voice.

by Anonymousreply 6March 17, 2023 9:06 PM

I couldn't even get through the trailer. It is an important subject but this was *so* heavy handed while it certain points, it looked like a commercial for the new IPhone

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2023 2:22 PM

Apple won’t disclose their subscriber numbers but as late as last year they were paying people at scales reserved for services below 20 million subscribers. For the amount they spend on content, that’s a disaster.

They’re pivoting to be more of a studio by making more films for wide theatrical release, which may be the smarter move. A great movie like Sharper with Julianne Moore gets lost because it’s paywalled on a service no one has.

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2023 2:30 PM

I tried watching "Hello Tomorrow" on AppleTV but gave up after second episode. Boring as hell even though the premise is very intriguing.

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2023 3:24 PM

They just greenlight these boring-ass vanity projects with no development process to make sure the stuff actually works as TV.

by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2023 5:15 PM

I've watched three episodes so far. Depressing, heavy-handed and preachy. But it's got a great cast and the occasional good scene or insight, so I think i'll keep watching to the end.

by Anonymousreply 11April 3, 2023 2:33 PM

It's sad. Apple did start off pretty strong. I enjoyed Dickinson, I am currently enjoying Truth Be Told, Severance and The Morning Show. But I tried to watch that new show Shrinking and I could barely get through the first episode. The Servant kind of fell apart at the end. Shyamalan didn't even direct the series finale. I think they got blindsided but the simpleton success of Ted Lasso, which was cute at fist - feel good show in a dark covid time. Now it just comes across as simple.

by Anonymousreply 12April 3, 2023 4:42 PM

I finally figured it out, Daveed Diggs has raging vocal fry. I just listened to him do an audiobook and it was painful.

by Anonymousreply 13April 6, 2023 10:17 PM

I loved Foundation and Severance. I haven't watched anything else on Apple.

by Anonymousreply 14April 6, 2023 10:20 PM

There's a rumor that with Gwyneth's popularity boost following her trial, she's trying to sell Apple on a reality series called Apple^3, about her daughter running an organic apple orchard. I'm

by Anonymousreply 15April 6, 2023 10:21 PM

What popularity boost, we're all in mourning because she didn't get the chair.

by Anonymousreply 16April 6, 2023 10:23 PM

R16 Young people on TikTok are saying things like "I used to hate her but she made me a fan during the trial 😭"

by Anonymousreply 17April 6, 2023 10:46 PM

R17 there are several threads here on the same spirit (and i agree with the sentiment).

Yeah, apple is sucky. With such little content and so much money I don’t understand lack of better shows. I kept it for The Morning Show which first season i liked a lot (even though i hate Reese). When i was thinking of canceling they started Slow Horses , which books i loved and the series was good. But it is a very poor choice, will cancel and subscribe two months a year or so.

(Oh and Bad Sisters had such a horrible main character that I couldn’t finish).

by Anonymousreply 18April 6, 2023 10:56 PM

I've seen several Apple TV shows because my boyfriend likes the service. I enjoyed Bad Sisters. Slow Horses was annoying to me. We also watched WeCrashed (meh), For All Mankind (good), Shrinking (no worse than any other sitcom), Severance (good), Mythic Quest (no worse than any other sitcom), Ted Lasso (CLOYING SHIT DRIVEL that everyone likes for some reason) and probably some other stuff.

Wow. I can't believe I've watched so many Apple TV series. I don't even watch that much tv.

by Anonymousreply 19April 6, 2023 11:02 PM

"Liaison" with Vincent Cassel and Eva Green (it's a bilingual Anglo-French production) is not bad. It's not "The Bureau" by any means but it's a pleasant enough espionage thriller which keeps it short at 6 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 20April 6, 2023 11:08 PM

^I thought Bad Sisters was okay, but Sharon Horgan is annoying & Bono's daughter is not terrible, but she's excessively hammy & just made the character so stupid it's no wonder the BIL screwed her over. The tone of the show was all over the place & I think if the whole thing had a more coherent story rather than just a vehicle for what a bunch of wacky oirish lasses they all are, it would've been better.

by Anonymousreply 21April 7, 2023 11:27 AM

I haven't seen it but based on the trailer this looks awful. Something that pops up time and time again when I watch and read movies reviews is that great scripts are supposed to "show, don't tell". This show does the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 22April 7, 2023 11:43 AM

Who is responsible for Apple's tragic streaming productions? Is there something they aren't telling us? Burning tankers of money to make bloated garbage. Why?

by Anonymousreply 23April 7, 2023 12:03 PM

Apple's output has been more miss than hit. They seem to be chucking money at big names but coming up with nothing. Extrapolations was beyond dire, and I only lasted until halfway through the second episode.

by Anonymousreply 24April 7, 2023 12:06 PM

Dickinson was unwatchable, I find it hard to believe it got more than one season. Season 2 of The Morning Show was almost unwatchable. This one was excruciatingly awful (I’m looking at you, whale episode). Daveed Diggs was absolutely horrible in not one but two episodes and his speaking voice was hideous. However a later episode set in India was extremely effective and even moving. And the penultimate episode, a blatant rip-off of Who’s Afraid of Virgina Woolf?, was somewhat entertaining. Marion Cotillard was great.

Apple TV + can lick their wounds over fiascos such as this and Hello, Tomorrow when Killers of the Flower Moon wins them their second Oscar for Best Picture in three years.

by Anonymousreply 25July 6, 2023 7:14 PM

Is that Leslie Uggams in the trailer?

Well, if June ain't bustin' out all over! With the fussahs and bahussahs and the rivuhs and bejeebes...."

by Anonymousreply 26July 6, 2023 7:23 PM

Dickinson wasn't unwatchable at all, it was lots of fun actually. However, the lead was the least interesting part of the show, so that wasn't great.

by Anonymousreply 27July 6, 2023 7:46 PM

Dickinson, Physical, and Little America are the best shows they’ve done.

by Anonymousreply 28July 7, 2023 10:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!