Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When DLers say “Girls, girls”…

… to insinuate that two posters are fighting, does that come from Golden Girls or from Cinderella? I always thought it came the way Bea Arthur says it, but I was watching the scene from Cinderella today where the girls tear up Cinderella’s dress, and Lady Tremaine says it as well.

Any long term posters want to clear it up?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 10, 2024 10:51 PM

I thought it came from The Facts of Life.

by Anonymousreply 1February 15, 2023 8:38 PM

R1 is correct

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 15, 2023 8:41 PM

Yes, it's from the mouth of Charlotte Rae as Mrs. Garrett on TFOL.

She would break up fights by repeating the word "girls" three times, each time louder and more insistent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 15, 2023 8:44 PM

It’s widely attributed to The Facts of Life, but I think that’s apocryphal.

by Anonymousreply 4February 15, 2023 8:46 PM

The actual quote is:

"Gurls, GURLS! You're BOTH cunts!"

by Anonymousreply 5February 15, 2023 8:48 PM

[quote] It’s widely attributed to The Facts of Life, but I think that’s apocryphal.

We don’t care what religion it is.

by Anonymousreply 6February 15, 2023 9:03 PM

OP deserves to have his/her/its DL membership card revoked for not knowing that it was Mrs. Garrett.

by Anonymousreply 7February 15, 2023 9:05 PM

Mrs Garrett said, “Girls, girls, girls” a lot, but not (iirc) “Girls, girls—you’re both pretty.”

The quote bounced around the web before being picked up in 2010’s “Megamind” and at some point by Family Guy.

In 2009, someone posted this on Broadway World:

“ I've always heard it from directors, musical directors or choreos. It's offically "Girls, Girls, you're both pretty" no matter the gender or number of people arguing.

Recently it has become Glenn Beck's fav phrase so you hear it quoted on chatty news shows alot [sic] recently.”

by Anonymousreply 8February 15, 2023 9:15 PM

Lady Tremaine looks like Bea Arthur.

by Anonymousreply 9February 15, 2023 9:35 PM

I thought it was from Picnic.

by Anonymousreply 10February 15, 2023 9:47 PM

I started using the "Girls! Girls! You're BOTH cunts!" a while back, and yes, it was a homage to Edna Garrett of the Facts of Life.

by Anonymousreply 11February 15, 2023 9:52 PM

It's from "Antigone" by Sophocles.

by Anonymousreply 12February 15, 2023 11:25 PM

Megamind

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 15, 2023 11:47 PM

Megamind is referring an already existing meme, I think. It was around before 2010.

by Anonymousreply 14February 16, 2023 4:47 AM

And Moses said to the two whores “Girls! Girls! In the eyes of the Holy Father, you are both cunts.” And they were.

by Anonymousreply 15February 16, 2023 4:52 AM

R15 Found the goy.

by Anonymousreply 16February 16, 2023 7:07 AM

Would “Ladys! Ladys!” work instead?

by Anonymousreply 17February 16, 2023 8:19 AM

I think of the dancers from "Blazing Saddles" when we call each other girls:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 10, 2024 8:44 PM

[quote]She would break up fights by repeating the word "girls" three times, each time louder and more insistent.

Plus, it was almost always followed by, "You're letting [this week's petty topic of the fight] tear you apart!"

by Anonymousreply 19June 10, 2024 9:05 PM

“Girlz with a Z!”

by Anonymousreply 20June 10, 2024 9:12 PM

Got the voice down

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 10, 2024 10:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!