Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why was John Mulaney such a big deal a few years back?

Some of his stuff was ok but a lot of young people seemed to adore him. I don't hear as much about him anymore. Was it that he wore a suit and tie instead of the usual slovenly stand up comic uniform?

by Anonymousreply 11February 14, 2023 6:08 AM

He just had a hit tour. He didn't disappear

by Anonymousreply 1February 14, 2023 1:18 AM

White people get a boost for being white. It's even worse if they have blonde hair and blue eyes. The machine relentlessly pushes untalented hacks on the public and we're forced to make them flop until the old farts in power get the message that no more money can be rung from that stone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 14, 2023 1:21 AM

Probably because of his "I seem gay but am not actually gay" routine.

by Anonymousreply 3February 14, 2023 1:21 AM

"Hit comedy tour" and "hit comedy album" don't mean what they used to, though. Louis CK is rarely talked about outside of his fandom, even though he won a Grammy and had a "hit tour."

The same has happened with Mulaney. He was everywhere, being mentioned in tabloids and all over social media, there were a ton of fans, he was getting guest spots on SNL, when he showed up on talk shows there were articles in entertainment rags about it the next day, there were publicity stunts for that awful Chip & Dale movie, he was everywhere.

Then he and his comedian pals trashed his wife publicly to imply she was at fault for his addictions, he knocked up one of the most well-known of Hollywood sluts about 45 seconds after he got out of rehab, then went on tour making "jokes" like "when all my famous friends showed up to my intervention they didn't invite my bitch cunt hag Jew wife because she's a bitch cunt Jew, and also I looked SO much better than they did, because of the drugs, which are awesome."

Now you only see him in pics he and Olivia Munn send into People Magazine, where they act like joyful proud parents. No one talks about him anymore, except fans.

So yes, he has a career, he's making money, but he's not where he was two years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4February 14, 2023 1:24 AM

Big dick

by Anonymousreply 5February 14, 2023 1:24 AM

How many snarky grinning white ivy leaguers have to be pushed on us?

by Anonymousreply 6February 14, 2023 1:28 AM

These days, people like guys who give off "smol bean" energy, which he did. "I'm such a rascal and a scamp but really I'm just a little small bean of a guy, so cute, have no problem if people think I'm gay because gays are cool, I'm totally not threatening, I make kids' shows and do standup about my cute dog and I love my wife for being strong and independent!"

When they found out that it was all an act, they lost interest. People will stick around knowing a lot of a celebrity persona is an act, but they won't stick around when they find out it's ALL an act.

by Anonymousreply 7February 14, 2023 1:29 AM

He has a good PR team.

by Anonymousreply 8February 14, 2023 1:31 AM

The media environment has splintered so much I'm not sure the goal is to be a "big deal" anymore. It's becoming very hard to do.

Like R4 mentioned, Louis CK is not mentioned in the media anymore but he still makes money and has a sizeable fan base that supports him. He even won a Grammy.

by Anonymousreply 9February 14, 2023 1:38 AM

Yahoo used to have stories about them (linked from People maybe like the poster above said) and they are cutesy wootsy baby shit they both would have scoffed at 2 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 10February 14, 2023 1:42 AM

So many people seemed to like the guy but he always seemed smarmy and duplicitous to me. Like one of those preppy rich kids who look mean even when they smile.

by Anonymousreply 11February 14, 2023 6:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!