Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

This kitchen looks familiar

...no?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 13, 2023 3:23 PM

Could it be the kitchen from 'The Golden Girls'?

by Anonymousreply 1February 13, 2023 8:18 AM

But, what are Patty Duke and Richard Crenna doing there?

by Anonymousreply 2February 13, 2023 8:25 AM

No style. No sunny curtains. No brass knick knacks on the wall. No "Men Of Blanche's Boudoir" calendar on the swinging door.

by Anonymousreply 3February 13, 2023 8:28 AM

For the cheap seats: This was part of the main set of "It Takes Two," a 1982-83 sitcom about a couple in Chicago (Patty Duke, Richard Crenna) and their young adult children (Anthony Edwards, Helen Hunt).

The show was a Witt-Thomas-Harris production, and they recycled the kitchen for The Golden Girls in 1985.

What I wonder is: Why and how? Were they just like, let's hang on to this kitchen? Is that customary? They also recycled a few other sets—Father Flotsky's mother's home on Soap later became Dorothy's grandmother's house on Golden Girls, and the Sunnies' HQ on Soap was used a couple of other times.

I thought when series ended, sets were struck, and that was that. They paid to store them somewhere?

by Anonymousreply 4February 13, 2023 8:44 AM

Reddit beat you to the punch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 13, 2023 8:56 AM

Didn't someone post on her that the Golden Girls set/stage was later used for Ally McBeal's apartment? No idea if that's true

by Anonymousreply 6February 13, 2023 10:02 AM

Weird seeing high-rises outside the window instead of palm trees.

by Anonymousreply 7February 13, 2023 10:21 AM

These are the kind of threads that keep me on DL

by Anonymousreply 8February 13, 2023 10:24 AM

Mary Hartman! Mary Hartman?

by Anonymousreply 9February 13, 2023 10:41 AM

Does the laundry room still lead the the garage?

by Anonymousreply 10February 13, 2023 10:52 AM

In the Golden Girls Forever book, the designers explain that there weren't any kitchen scenes in the original pilot script, so Ed Stephenson, the set designer, only designed the house with the three rooms the script called for: the living room, the lanai, and Blanche's bedroom. At the last minute, they got a new script that called for a kitchen, so one of the others went through the Witt-Thomas-Harris archives looking for a kitchen that would work. They found the It Takes Two kitchen, removed some things (it had a stove on the right wall that was then removed) and added it onto the Golden Girls set. That's why the layout of the house doesn't make sense. (They added the back hallway to lead to the girls' bedrooms--even though the door to the garage from the kitchen would lead there.)

by Anonymousreply 11February 13, 2023 10:56 AM

**oven on the right, not stove. The stove was still on that little island, and the Girls had to pretend there was an oven under it, even though there wasn't, just a fake door since the oven from the It Takes Two kitchen had been removed.

by Anonymousreply 12February 13, 2023 11:03 AM

Sets are reused all the time.

Fun fact: the basic courtroom set at Chelsea Piers, used for SVU and other shows, was re-built from an old LA Law set shipped from Calif. to NY.

by Anonymousreply 13February 13, 2023 11:03 AM

R11 does it say why Blanche's bedroom was relocated?

by Anonymousreply 14February 13, 2023 11:12 AM

I hope this kitchen isn’t violating the golden triangle!

by Anonymousreply 15February 13, 2023 11:20 AM

r14, no, not that I remember.

by Anonymousreply 16February 13, 2023 11:22 AM

R11 has helped clear up one of DL's greatest mysteries. I wonder what configuration they would have come up with if they'd had more time

by Anonymousreply 17February 13, 2023 11:27 AM

Ah, the “No? Troll” returns.

by Anonymousreply 18February 13, 2023 11:35 AM

I know it’s the Golden Girls kitchen, but it also reminds me of Mary’s kitchen from Soap.

by Anonymousreply 19February 13, 2023 11:39 AM

[quote]These are the kind of threads that keep me on DL

Pity.

by Anonymousreply 20February 13, 2023 11:47 AM

[quote][R11] does it say why Blanche's bedroom was relocated?

The massive amount of foot traffic.

by Anonymousreply 21February 13, 2023 11:48 AM

I still love Jessica Tate's kitchen from 'Soap'. It wouldn't have been very Miami, but I always enjoyed seeing the convos over coffee in there. (And Benson attempting to teach her how to cook.)

by Anonymousreply 22February 13, 2023 11:53 AM

[quote] Fun fact: the basic courtroom set at Chelsea Piers, used for SVU and other shows, was re-built from an old LA Law set shipped from Calif. to NY.

Was there something sufficiently special about that "basic" set that justified the expense of shipping it across the country? Courtrooms and courtroom sets all look pretty much the same to me.

by Anonymousreply 23February 13, 2023 11:55 AM

I liked that movie 🎥 where Richard Cremona gets fucked up the ASS.

by Anonymousreply 24February 13, 2023 12:27 PM

SImilarly, I've always thought that the set from Two and a Half Men was Laverne & Shirley's California apartment.

by Anonymousreply 25February 13, 2023 12:38 PM

It wasn't open concept. How did they entertain?

by Anonymousreply 26February 13, 2023 1:17 PM

It wasn’t shipped just for SVU. Lots of Calif. sets end up elsewhere due to the great expansion of studios beyond the LA area.

by Anonymousreply 27February 13, 2023 1:44 PM

R21 I always thought it made more sense for Blanche's bedroom to be at the front so she could have her screaming ecstasy without waking the other girls, come in at all hours and spy passing handsome men on the road.

by Anonymousreply 28February 13, 2023 3:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!