Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People who could have been nepo babies but chose to make it on their own

I think the best example of this is Tori Spelling.

She auditioned for BH90210 under the pseudonym [italic]Toni[/italic] Spelling, so she wouldn't be mistaken for Aaron's daughter, Tori, who was known to producers. She insisted her father call up the producers and instruct them that 'Toni' was no relation of his. When Tori stepped into the room to audition she even stated that she did not want special treatment based on who her father was.

What other celebrities fit into this category?

by Anonymousreply 47May 20, 2023 4:50 AM

Liza

by Anonymousreply 1February 11, 2023 12:16 PM

Jamie Lee Curtis Abramovitz.

by Anonymousreply 2February 11, 2023 12:23 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 11, 2023 12:58 PM

For my "Here's Lucy" audition, I went by "Lucie McGillicuddy."

by Anonymousreply 4February 11, 2023 1:08 PM

^^^I wore a blond wig, so nobody recognized me.

by Anonymousreply 5February 11, 2023 1:09 PM

Mamie Gummer

Gummer is such an unappealing surname. She should've used Streep.

by Anonymousreply 6February 11, 2023 2:10 PM

Just like Tori, Donald Trump, Jr. told the person hiring him, "Dad, I don't want you to tell people you only hired me because mom was making you."

by Anonymousreply 7February 11, 2023 2:22 PM

[quote] Just like Tori, Donald Trump, Jr. told the person hiring him, "Dad, I don't want you to tell people you only hired me because mom was making you."

Not the same. The other producers hired Tori (without knowing she was Aaron's daughter) based solely on the strength of her audition. She's said her father played no role in her hiring.

by Anonymousreply 8February 11, 2023 2:26 PM

šŸ˜ [italic] TONI Spelling ?

As if .......

by Anonymousreply 9February 11, 2023 2:27 PM

Please PLEASE tell me that OP is writing satire.

Otherwise, I'm not sure I can live in a world where are that stupid.

by Anonymousreply 10February 11, 2023 11:51 PM

That story, OP, is nonsense spin of that era. Everyone in the TV industry of that time knew exactly who Randy and Tori were.

by Anonymousreply 11February 12, 2023 12:30 AM

Jesus was the ultimate nepo baby.

by Anonymousreply 12February 12, 2023 12:36 AM

Jessica Pegula- Tennis Player

by Anonymousreply 13February 12, 2023 12:49 AM

Kate Hudson is a stage name... the talentless baby machine's actual name is Goldie Hawn Jr.

by Anonymousreply 14February 12, 2023 12:52 AM

[quote] Please PLEASE tell me that OP is writing satire.

Not satire. Toriā€™s told that story herself many times. Iā€™m just repeating it.

by Anonymousreply 15February 12, 2023 7:03 AM

[quote]That story, OP, is nonsense spin of that era. Everyone in the TV industry of that time knew exactly who Randy and Tori were.

Yes, hence why she went as [italic]Toni[/italic]; so people wouldnā€™t think it was her.

by Anonymousreply 16February 12, 2023 7:05 AM

Maybe Enrique Iglesias? Julio never wanted him to follow his footsteps.

by Anonymousreply 17February 12, 2023 7:06 AM

OP, there is no such thing as nepo babies "making it on their own". The life they were born into makes it impossible for them to be able to do such a thing even if they wanted.

Also, I don't believe for a moment that Tori would have gotten that role if her last name wasn't Spelling. Just compare her looks to the other two main actresses hired for the show.

by Anonymousreply 18February 12, 2023 7:15 AM

Nicolas Cage. Born into the legendary Coppola family (Francis Ford Coppola is his uncle), Nic changed his last name to avoid nepotism claims, but talent is talent and he ended up winning the family's 8th Oscar (Best Actor, Leaving Las Vegas). Sofia would follow with number 9 (Best Original Screenplay, Lost in Translation). The three ex-spouses are also Oscar winners: David Shire (Norma Rae), Spike Jonze (Her), & Patricia Arquette (Boyhood).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 12, 2023 7:16 AM

[quote] Also, I don't believe for a moment that Tori would have gotten that role if her last name wasn't Spelling.

She couldā€™ve been any Spelling, not necessarily a relation of Aaronā€™s. The other producers werenā€™t aware she was Aaronā€™s daughter.

by Anonymousreply 20February 12, 2023 7:18 AM

[quote]When Tori stepped into the room to audition she even stated that she did not want special treatment based on who her father was.

Then what was the point of changing her name?

by Anonymousreply 21February 12, 2023 7:23 AM

From Tori's Wikipedia page:

"At age six, Spelling was given acting lessons from an acting coach hired by her father, and was subsequently given guest spots on television series such as The Love Boat, T. J. Hooker, Hotel, Fantasy Island, Vega$ and Saved by the Bell."

Aaron Spelling produced at least 3 of those shows. How then did Tori "make it on her own"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 12, 2023 7:30 AM

[quote]How then did Tori "make it on her own"?

Those were all very minor background parts. Tori's big breakout role was on BH90210, which she won under an alias.

by Anonymousreply 23February 12, 2023 7:32 AM

Anyone who didn't catch the satire (or self-owning by Tori Spelling, assuming she really does tell that story) in OP's post needs to go back and re-read it.

"Toni" instead of "Tori" Spelling?

Saying "I made my super-connected, ultrarich dad call the producers to INSTRUCT them that this girl who's going to walk in is totally NOT someone he's related to or cares about!" ?

Walking in and saying "I'm here anonymously, and I don't want any special treatment just because my dad's your boss." ?

Side-splitting. Also tragic, because even after probably $100,000 of plastic surgery, she still looks like her dad in drag (and that is not a compliment).

by Anonymousreply 24February 12, 2023 10:31 AM

LOL.

That story is just PR spin.

Of course they knew who she was. Or, if they all did not immediately figure it out, someone quickly informed them.

It's a great story though and kudos to whomever came up with it.

by Anonymousreply 25February 12, 2023 10:37 AM

It doesn't even matter if that untrue story is true, she grew up in that world so would have known the right way to present herself, to talk, to network.

by Anonymousreply 26February 12, 2023 11:08 AM

Tori looked like Aaron Spelling in drag, everybody knew who she was.

by Anonymousreply 27February 12, 2023 11:13 AM

R19 are you joking? Just because he had a different name doesn't mean his family weren't pulling strings for Nicholas Cage, how else explain his miscasting in Peggy Sue Got Married and Moonstruck, amongst others?

Oh and Spike Jonse wrote the other movie Cage was nominated for, Adaptation.

by Anonymousreply 28February 12, 2023 11:46 AM

What about Chet Hanks, Tomā€™s son? He goes by Chet Hanx.

by Anonymousreply 29February 12, 2023 11:58 AM

Harrison Ford's son became a respected chef, totally unrelated to show biz.

by Anonymousreply 30February 12, 2023 12:12 PM

R28 There's a well known story about Cage's start. When Nic Cage told FFC he wanted to be an actor, his uncle was displeased and didn't want him to do it, so Nic changed his name and did it anyway. Jonze writing the film doesn't have anything to do with the quality of Cage's acting. He could've sucked in the role, but instead receive his second Best Actor nomination. You seem to conflate nepotism with talent. The point of R19's post was to show that the family is uniquely talented in the cinematic arts, both as individuals and as a whole. In the case of the ex-spouses, talent attracts talent. Say what you will about nepotism, but if the person can show they've got the goods and build their own career, then there you have it.

My pick for this thread is Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Daughter of the French billionaire, she went into entertainment, made her own money, and when the time comes will inherit billions. For now, she will continue to live comfortably on her hundreds of millions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 12, 2023 6:19 PM

Even Tori at some point (much later) admitted that story was bullshit.

She did make the role her own though, and could be very funny. Ultimately you canā€™t Forde the public to like you (or like a role youā€™re playing) no matter how great your connections are.

by Anonymousreply 32February 12, 2023 6:33 PM

Force***

by Anonymousreply 33February 12, 2023 6:33 PM

But but mommy and daddy's money buy them these careers except the athletes of course

by Anonymousreply 34February 12, 2023 6:35 PM

R31 bullshit, he still got his first movie parts based on his family connections, being miscast in otherwise good movies.

And my point about Adaptation was that Nic had "an in" with the writer and got the part based on who-you-know, which is the point of this thread.

I'm not saying he hasn't been very good in some roles but he hardly pulled himself up on his own charm & talent, Cage or no Cage. And the family are talented, bit no "uniquely" so.

by Anonymousreply 35February 12, 2023 8:32 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 12, 2023 8:38 PM

R36, I don't get it?

by Anonymousreply 37February 13, 2023 12:16 PM

Any story about Tori Spelling getting hired NOT because of her father deserves all the Sure, Jans in the word.

There will never be enough Sure, Jans for that lie.

by Anonymousreply 38February 13, 2023 3:05 PM

Your satire is too subtle for this crowd Iā€™m afraid OP

by Anonymousreply 39February 13, 2023 3:10 PM

"OP, there is no such thing as nepo babies "making it on their own". The life they were born into makes it impossible for them to be able to do such a thing even if they wanted. "

I generally agree with this. That said, that doesn't mean that even though they made it, they didn't deserve to. Some nepo babies are actually talented and eventually create their own legacy.

More interesting would be the opposite of a nepo baby - someone who made it despite coming from parents/family that people know but who lost their standing and nobody really wants to help. Has that ever happened?

by Anonymousreply 40February 13, 2023 3:16 PM

Jane Fonda and Tom Hayden's son Troy Garity never really has gone for broke with his being Jane Fonda's son. He's matured into a fine character actor. Jane Fonda's rep (the whole Fonda family rep with acting, really) obviously got him in the door but he's proved his worth by now I do dare say.

He was good as the barber in "Barbershop" and really did quite well in "Soldier's Girl."

by Anonymousreply 41February 13, 2023 3:17 PM

It's shocking just how retarded some posters are here.

by Anonymousreply 42February 13, 2023 3:22 PM

The likes of Liza and Jane Fonda, while getting to the door (using R41's analogy) both proved they had the talent to make it with the best of them and be their own person.

Unfortunately for them, they both had demons from childhood which may have held them back from reaching their full potential or leading a well-balanced life.

by Anonymousreply 43February 13, 2023 3:28 PM

Ivanka Trump, definitely. She graduated with a bachelors degree claiming she graduated cum laude only to have it later revealed she had a slightly higher then B average GPA and at her interview they said normally with someone with your qualifications, we'd start them off as a junior mailroom clerk, but we're so impressed by your credentials, we'd like to offer you a VP position of a billion dollar family crime syndicate. Corner office ok?

Totally self made woman. An inspiration.

by Anonymousreply 44February 13, 2023 3:49 PM

Princess Anne and her daughter, Zara Tindall, are both Olympians and Zara is a silver medallist. Anne could easily have just chosen to settle into her destined role of "working royal" and Zara could have got a cushy job like Beatrice or Eugenie, but they didn't.

by Anonymousreply 45February 13, 2023 4:09 PM

Tori wasn't funny in BH90210. they just changed the music when her character was being exceptionally naive or stupid. There was nothing humorous or clever about that show. It was a schlockfest.

by Anonymousreply 46May 20, 2023 12:00 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 20, 2023 4:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!