Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Emily, the new movie about Emily Bronte (featuring DL fave Oliver Jackson Cohen)

What do we think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 9, 2023 10:07 AM

She looks like a mulatto. FORCED DIVERSITY! WE HATE HER!!

by Anonymousreply 1February 8, 2023 4:10 AM

I’m a sucker for this genre so I am slightly optimistic.

by Anonymousreply 2February 8, 2023 4:55 AM

I knew nothing about it and am now looking forward to it. Thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 3February 8, 2023 5:00 AM

Dreary though it got better as it went along.

by Anonymousreply 4February 8, 2023 5:01 AM

Wow, Oliver is an amazing actress, I didn’t even recognize “him!”

by Anonymousreply 5February 8, 2023 5:37 AM

Saw it last year. It's an Austen style retelling of the Brontë sisters' lives which is ironic because in real life they violently loathed Austen. Fionn Whitehead's giant chin mole should have gotten separate billing - he looks like Frau Blucher.

by Anonymousreply 6February 8, 2023 6:28 AM

Is it the one where she goes to Paris?

by Anonymousreply 7February 8, 2023 7:01 AM

These are so painful to me. I wish I could understand the appeal.

by Anonymousreply 8February 8, 2023 7:05 AM

Chick flicks, R8.

Or specifically, chick flicks for chicks who love English Lit & history, wrapped up in a pseudo fictional film, loosely based on real events and/or a real person, dead or alive.

by Anonymousreply 9February 8, 2023 11:10 AM

Wuthering Heights the novel IS a chick flick. Greatly beloved of high school and college-aged girls, it seems to have nothing to say to anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 10February 8, 2023 1:11 PM

Well this isn't exactly a romcom. Everyone dies tragically young and never having fulfilled their potential. It is indeed quite dreary and OJC has no sexual chemistry with the Margot Robbie clone even in their one sex scene.

by Anonymousreply 11February 8, 2023 2:47 PM

‘Wuthering Heights’ reaches its climax about a quarter into the novel, when Mr Lockwood sadistically rubs Cathy’s fingers against the broken window panes [granted she’s already *dead*, but still]

Then it’s downhill all the way

Heathcliff’s final death just barely lifts up the narrative a little

by Anonymousreply 12February 8, 2023 3:07 PM

I wasn't that impressed with OJC in "Man In An Orange Shirt." Closeted men sometimes make dull actors, probably because they're constantly trying to dampen down the flame.

by Anonymousreply 13February 8, 2023 3:23 PM

It looks like the straight version of "Lesbian Period Piece"

by Anonymousreply 14February 8, 2023 3:47 PM

He's playing the same character in this film as in Man in an Orange Shirt except 70 years earlier and straight.

by Anonymousreply 15February 8, 2023 4:36 PM

Was Emily Bronte on the autism specter?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 8, 2023 5:02 PM

Was she a lez?

by Anonymousreply 17February 8, 2023 6:02 PM

She might have been but it's at least a likely she was autistic or very introverted and socially anxious. She was such a shut in that she would turn away if she talked to people too long. There is no record of her having any romantic relationships, so this is a "reimagining." Her younger sister Anne was the one who was in love with OJC's character IRL and was also a talented and famous poet and novelist, so I'm not sure why they didn't just make the film about her.

by Anonymousreply 18February 8, 2023 6:10 PM

Well, everyone's reviews are disappointing. I want OJC to be a better actor than he is. I saw something in him when he was starring in that Dracula TV show with JRM and his now-out ex-girlfriend Jessica Gouw (sp?). And I liked him in the Netflix "Haunting" series as well.

Holding out hope that it's watchable at least and that he starts turning out some better performances.

by Anonymousreply 19February 8, 2023 6:11 PM

I thought OJC was the most interesting thing about this (yes, very dreary unimaginative) film, for whatever it's worth. He keeps getting cast in absolute dreck, though, and needs better material.

by Anonymousreply 20February 8, 2023 6:18 PM

Cool chick

by Anonymousreply 21February 9, 2023 10:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!