Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Sex, Drugs & Pilot Season: Confessions of a Casting Director” - Joel Thurm's affairs with Rock Hudson and Robert Reed

In Joel Thurm's new memoir, “Sex, Drugs & Pilot Season: Confessions of a Casting Director” , the 80 year-old Hollywood casting director talks about the sexual affiars he had with two of Hollywood's famous actors: Rock Hudson and Robert Reed.

He recalls a party he attended in the 1970s for a special screening of the gay film "Boys in the Sand" , in which mostly gay men attended. Rock Hudson (his childhood crush) was at the party, and at one point motioned to Thurm to follow him into an empty bedroom. Thurm says once they were along in the bedroom, he was so intimidated by Rock Hudson standing there that he couldn't get an erection. Someone even asked him, 'Why didn't you just blow him?' Thurm responded, " I couldn't do anything - it was Rock Hudson !" Thurm said Hudson was understanding of the intimidation - it had happened to other guys before.

In 1976, Thurm said he cast and produced the television movie 'Boy in the Plastic Bubble' starring Robert Reed and John Travolta. He said Reed was not happy playing second fiddle to Travolta, and he had other difficulties on the set during production. On one particular day, Reed was so frustrated he retreated to his dressing room. Thurm followed him to 'smooth things over' so they could get back to production, by letting him know how appreciative he was for Reed to be part of the movie. He didn't plan for anything sexual to happen (though everyone on the set knew Reed was gay), but at one point he started rubbing Reed's back...and Reed 'responded to him' in a sexual way. After their encounter, Reed went back to being a 'prick' according to Thurm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 5, 2023 4:33 AM

Joel Thurm

OMG - gorgeous! Who could resist?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 1, 2023 5:15 PM

That was definitely a jump scare, R1

by Anonymousreply 2February 1, 2023 5:17 PM

R1 - that's what he looked like in 1976?

by Anonymousreply 3February 1, 2023 5:39 PM

I looked at the pages that Amazon allows you to review. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 4February 1, 2023 6:12 PM

Stop starting threads on your book, Joel.

by Anonymousreply 5February 1, 2023 6:35 PM

I'd like to know what he looked like back in 1976, too. Let's face it - for Hudson and Reed to want to have sex with him, he must've been a good looking guy.

by Anonymousreply 6February 1, 2023 6:59 PM

R5, how dare someone post gossip on a gossip board?

by Anonymousreply 7February 1, 2023 7:06 PM

Here he is in 1989.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 1, 2023 7:09 PM

Not bad looking in 1989.

by Anonymousreply 9February 1, 2023 7:16 PM

He's the guy in the sweater at the beginning of this clip, taken from the 1963 short film "Vapors," set in a New York bath house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 1, 2023 7:18 PM

“When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good you will not."

by Anonymousreply 11February 1, 2023 7:19 PM

WOW! He was definitely attractive in his younger days.

by Anonymousreply 12February 1, 2023 7:20 PM

Joel Thurm gives me the vapors!

by Anonymousreply 13February 1, 2023 7:27 PM

He's no Nathan Thurm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 1, 2023 7:35 PM

[quote]After their encounter, Reed went back to being a 'prick' according to Thurm.

To thine own self be true.

by Anonymousreply 15February 1, 2023 7:40 PM

R14! Wow, Christopher Guest as the news anchor! Cute. I wish they'd given Martin Short more to do. He looked great as the skeevy lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 16February 1, 2023 7:41 PM

R15, your post brought back a vague memory of Robert Reed, as Mike Brady, actually saying that to Peter at the end of an episode in one of those dependable moments when Mike was dispensing his fatherly wisdom. Jesus. Mr. Brady quoting the Bard.

by Anonymousreply 17February 1, 2023 7:45 PM

He looked like Nosferatu.

by Anonymousreply 18February 1, 2023 7:45 PM

Any dirt on Travolta?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 1, 2023 8:06 PM

“In a world full of oversharing, be the gentleman who kisses and never tells.”

by Anonymousreply 20February 1, 2023 8:10 PM

We're gonna complain about gossip on a gossip board?

by Anonymousreply 21February 1, 2023 8:14 PM

Was Robert Reed ever pleasant to work with on any set?

by Anonymousreply 22February 1, 2023 8:14 PM

Joel has a very nice penis.

by Anonymousreply 23February 1, 2023 8:17 PM

I hooked up with Rock Hudson and Robert Reed - gee! never knew they were gay!

And that old James Dean was probably bi nugget.

ZZZZzzzzz....

by Anonymousreply 24February 1, 2023 8:17 PM

R24, then don't post in this thread

by Anonymousreply 25February 1, 2023 10:37 PM

[quote]Here he is in 1989.

He was short and fat?

And black?!

by Anonymousreply 26February 1, 2023 11:20 PM

It's my nephew, Joel

by Anonymousreply 27February 1, 2023 11:58 PM

After their brief encounter the gentleman at R1 kept referring to Robert Reed as “My Precious.”

by Anonymousreply 28February 2, 2023 12:31 AM

R22 Florence Henderson and the rest of the cast of 'The Brady Bunch' never ever complained about working with him. They all liked him on the set, and got along well with him even after the show was canceled. So maybe he was fine to his co-workers, but not those in authority ?

by Anonymousreply 29February 2, 2023 2:38 PM

I find it interesting that he had to go the self-publishing route through Bear Manor Media. Their books are of wildly varying quality, overly expensive, and usually not available as e-books, so this will be a hard pass at $32.

by Anonymousreply 30February 2, 2023 2:46 PM

This is a 'library book" if ever there was one. One to pick up and skim through - when a name catches the eye, you read the paragraph.

by Anonymousreply 31February 2, 2023 2:56 PM

Not in any of MY libraries, pal.

by Anonymousreply 32February 2, 2023 3:42 PM

Sherwood Schwartz and Ann B. Davis have both acknowledged that Reed was difficult on the "Brady Bunch" set. This article collects some of those comments, with sources, while also emphasizing his great relationships with the child actors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 2, 2023 4:12 PM

So if Reed wanted to be taken as a serious dramtaic actor, why did he do 'Love, American Style' before 'The Brady Bunch' ?

And why did he sign up for 'The Brady Bunch' in the first place, if this is not what he wanted to do in his career ?

by Anonymousreply 34February 2, 2023 4:53 PM

[quote] He was short and fat?

[quote] And black?!

Yes but he had fantastic stage presence, an incredible voice and a Tony! Easy to see why white gay men loved him so, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 35February 2, 2023 5:03 PM

R34, 99% of people in SAG are unemployed. If you're not A+ list you take what's offered to you

by Anonymousreply 36February 2, 2023 5:19 PM

[quote]the self-publishing route through Bear Manor Media.

Um, self-publishing means you publish it yourself like through Amazon. Bear Manor is an actual publisher.

by Anonymousreply 37February 2, 2023 6:07 PM

R19 Any dirt on Travolta ? Is that what you asked ? There's been dirt on Travolta since the 70s. Just ask any masseur, personal trainer, chauffer, mailman, paper boy, pizza delivery boy...there's plenty of dirt they can share.

by Anonymousreply 38February 2, 2023 6:55 PM

[quote] Um, self-publishing means you publish it yourself like through Amazon. Bear Manor is an actual publisher.

Um, you clearly don't know about Bear Manor Media.

by Anonymousreply 39February 2, 2023 7:04 PM

"Founded in 2001 by Publisher Ben Ohmart, BearManor Media is located in Albany, Georgia, USA, and is known for publishing books on movies, television, Old Time Radio, theater, animation, and previously unpublished scripts. The BearManor Media catalog now features more than 900 outstanding subjects from the obscure to the eminent.

A small press featuring big subjects, our independent commercial publishing house provides nonfiction and fiction subjects in hardcover, trade paperback, and digital releases. Bestselling authors include Charlotte Rae, James Best, Gary Burghoff, Eddie Cantor, Kathy Garver, The Firesign Theatre, The Unknown Comic, Russell Arms, Charlotte Stewart, Bonnie Daniels and lots more.

BearManor Media is considered a leader and innovator in publishing rare autobiographies and biographies of African-American show business legends, famous voice actors, well-known sitcom stars, and celebrated producers, directors, and screenwriters.

The staff boasts fewer than a dozen top industry artists, publicists, and media experts. Our dedicated staff support authors as they head their own campaigns to generate reader excitement through targeted book signings, social media presence, and Internet-based channels.

BearManor Media continues to be a full-range publisher big enough to command respect in the market, yet small enough to preserve reader, writer, and independent retailer loyalty."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 2, 2023 7:15 PM

Fun fact: Robert Reed didn't die from AIDS. Although he was HIV positive, his actual cause of death was colon cancer.

by Anonymousreply 41February 2, 2023 7:27 PM

True, but

[quote]While Reed did not have AIDS at the time of his death, his doctor listed his HIV-positive status among "significant conditions that contributed to death" on the death certificate.

by Anonymousreply 42February 2, 2023 7:34 PM

You forgot the most important part, R40- they make you pay to publish your book.

by Anonymousreply 43February 2, 2023 7:45 PM

Ooh, Kathy Garver!

by Anonymousreply 44February 2, 2023 11:02 PM

Strangely enough, the one show which Robert Reed never made a stink behind the scenes was the Brady Bunch Variety Hour, which is funny because that's one of the absolute worst shows in TV history.

by Anonymousreply 45February 2, 2023 11:12 PM

Has he shown it somewhere R23?

by Anonymousreply 46February 2, 2023 11:14 PM

Reed was an odd duck. He HATED the Brady Bunch, yet signed on for every reunion, spinoff, and remake produced while he was still alive (not including the Brady Kids cartoon which featured only the kids). Florence and the kids speculate that he was lonely and missed the cast.

by Anonymousreply 47February 2, 2023 11:15 PM

I think he liked the attention and fame of being on The Brady Bunch despite hating the writing. I'm curious to see if they had continued the show past season five would Sherwood have killed off Mike after getting fed up with Bob Reed's temper tantrums.

by Anonymousreply 48February 2, 2023 11:28 PM

Joel is in need of money to pay for his rent boys...

by Anonymousreply 49February 2, 2023 11:30 PM

From what I understand, he genuinely got along with Florence and the kids

by Anonymousreply 50February 2, 2023 11:32 PM

[quote]yet signed on for every reunion, spinoff, and remake produced while he was still alive

Well that’s good. If he signed on afterwards he would’ve stunk up the joint.

by Anonymousreply 51February 3, 2023 12:04 AM

[quote] I'm curious to see if they had continued the show past season five would Sherwood have killed off Mike after getting fed up with Bob Reed's temper tantrums.

According to Sherwood and Lloyd Schwartz, yes

Robert Reed wasn't in the last episode because he objected to the script and refused to participate. Sherwood was livid and Lloyd confirmed that had the show been renewed, Mrs. Brady was going to begin season six as a widow.

by Anonymousreply 52February 3, 2023 12:12 AM

Season Six opens. (Sprightly music), Pan up from a photograph of Mike that Carol Brady is holding. She is clad in a black pantsuit: "Damn. Damn. Damn."

by Anonymousreply 53February 3, 2023 12:52 AM

Reed took the show way too seriously. How was the last episode where Greg's hair is dyed anymore stupid then the entire series before? Florence seemed in on the joke and had a sense of humor. Reed seemed very self loathing and I think going ham on the camp and kitsch that was The Brady Bunch would have gave him away. Yet he did The Variety Show and came off gayer...

by Anonymousreply 54February 3, 2023 12:55 AM

Cocktease Travolta shocking Reed and Beard by stripping down in his bubble.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 3, 2023 1:08 AM

The Brady kids always speak lovingly of Reed and that says alot.

by Anonymousreply 56February 3, 2023 1:26 AM

R8- Gimme A Break

by Anonymousreply 57February 3, 2023 1:32 AM

Mr. Brady kept Alice on, because he knew she guaranteed he’d keep getting Sam the butcher’s meat each week.

by Anonymousreply 58February 3, 2023 1:43 AM

Here's the story of a dead man named Brady...

by Anonymousreply 59February 3, 2023 1:45 AM

Reed kept signing on to all the later Brady projects because (besides the money, I'm sure) he really thought of the kids as his extended family and he loved seeing them and spending time with them.

Davis was a big ol' closeted dyke and religious nut and I'm sure talk about Reed's sexuality cast suspicions on her own, so she probably grew to resent him as the years went on.

by Anonymousreply 60February 3, 2023 4:21 AM

I loved the episode where Alice taught Carol how to masturbate with a vibrator.

by Anonymousreply 61February 3, 2023 4:25 AM

[quote]Davis was a big ol' closeted dyke and religious nut and I'm sure talk about Reed's sexuality cast suspicions on her own, so she probably grew to resent him as the years went on.

Sounds like what was rumored on the 'Bewitched' set with Agnes Moorehead and her two gay co-stars: Dick Sargent and Paul Lynde. She never got along with those two, and had a passionate dislike towards them. She let it be known she liked Dick York much more than Sargent, and wished he were back for the last few seasons.

by Anonymousreply 62February 3, 2023 1:43 PM

The kids were only on the Brady set for a specific number of hours during the day, during which Reed behaved himself. Yes, he did have a good rapport with the kids and seemed to genuinely care about them.

But when the kids went home and the show broke for dinner, then scenes with just the adults, Reed tended to come back to set pretty loaded and also pretty mean and nasty. He would bitch about everything, especially what a terrible show it was, how impossible the lines were to say and sound natural, etc. This is why Ann B. Davis didn't much care for him and even Florence, who was genuinely fond of him, years later admitted he could be hard to take.

Robert Reed was closeted, self-loathing, and a bit of a drunk. People like that can be challenging to work with.

by Anonymousreply 63February 3, 2023 2:38 PM

I kind of give him a pass r63, since homophobia was so much more rampant and even legal. Not an excuse, but an explanation.

by Anonymousreply 64February 3, 2023 10:56 PM

If someone gets the book can you report the details to us?

by Anonymousreply 65February 5, 2023 3:54 AM

Sheksh, Drugsh, and Pilot Sheashon!

by Anonymousreply 66February 5, 2023 4:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!