Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Paulette Goddard professor at NYU

And there are “literally hundreds of studies (that) link ultraprocessed foods to obesity, cancer, cardiovascular disease, and overall mortality,” Marion Nestle, the Paulette Goddard professor emerita of nutrition, food studies and public health at New York University told CNN previously.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 1, 2023 1:56 PM

Haven't we known this for quite some time. Not that it stops a lot of people from eating it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1February 1, 2023 12:40 AM

Paulette (a sort of B-Level star from the Golden Age of Hollywood and former wife of Charlie Chaplin) left $20M in her will to NYU.

by Anonymousreply 2February 1, 2023 12:41 AM

There's a Barbra Streisand Chair of Contemporary Gender Studies at USC.

Paulette Goddard was married to the German-born novelist Erich Maria Remarque for twelve years, and she gave $20 million after her death in 1990 to NYU for an institute of European studies to be named after Remarque. (He had an association with the university, and through him she became very close friends with one of its presidents.) That was a lot of money in those days, and NYU recognized her by naming this professorship after her and also a residence hall after her.

by Anonymousreply 3February 1, 2023 12:43 AM

Paulette Goddard plays the lead women's role in both "Modern times" and "The Great Dictator." She also plays Miriam "Vanities" Aarons, the most fun part in the entire thing, in the 1939 film of "The Women."

by Anonymousreply 4February 1, 2023 12:45 AM

Has the Chair been RENO-vated?

by Anonymousreply 5February 1, 2023 12:45 AM

I had a Paulette Goddard scholarship to NYU, in 1985.

by Anonymousreply 6February 1, 2023 12:46 AM

She was a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 7February 1, 2023 12:48 AM

I love the fact that thay person has the same name as the maker of the worst processed foods, especially the chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 8February 1, 2023 12:50 AM

[quote] Not that it stops a lot of people from eating it anyway.

I think those people should just smile and accept their obesity, cancer, cardiovascular disease, and overall mortality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 1, 2023 12:52 AM

[quote] Joan Crawford Steele

Paulette with Mrs. Steele.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 1, 2023 12:53 AM

[quote]Paulette (a sort of B-Level star from the Golden Age of Hollywood and former wife of Charlie Chaplin)

Fuck you, r2, I'm a legend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 1, 2023 12:54 AM

999 out of a thousand people today would be able to identify the person in that ad.

by Anonymousreply 12February 1, 2023 12:56 AM

*unable

by Anonymousreply 13February 1, 2023 12:56 AM

[quote] 999 out of a thousand people today would be able to identify the person in that ad.

Quite. One couldn't say that of a sort of B-Level star from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 14February 1, 2023 12:57 AM

The most memorable thing about Paulette Goddard is that she was *almost* Scarlett O'Hara. When Vivien made her audition/screentest, she said the costume was "warm." Yep, minutes earlier, Paulette had worn it. If I had been Paulette a week later, I might have killed myself. The Women was a consolation prize.

by Anonymousreply 15February 1, 2023 12:58 AM

Paulette Goddard had a pretty nice life even without getting the role of Scarlett O'Hara.

by Anonymousreply 16February 1, 2023 1:15 AM

Yes, she did.

by Anonymousreply 17February 1, 2023 1:16 AM

NYU is hardly a stellar example of academia.

by Anonymousreply 18February 1, 2023 1:55 AM

Crawford looks like Goddard's drunken grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 19February 1, 2023 2:20 AM

Paulette was gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 20February 1, 2023 2:25 AM

Paulette was health conscious, r19. She was into yoga when she did the Blackglama shoot at r11. They decided to go with her sitting in a yoga position. Later they realized you couldn't see the coat so they cropped her at the waist and below the waist is a different woman.

by Anonymousreply 21February 1, 2023 2:38 AM

She was deceitful woman who suppressed her name and her heritage.

by Anonymousreply 22February 1, 2023 2:41 AM

Marion 𝑵𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒍𝒆, the Paulette Goddard professor emerita of nutrition, food studies and public health at New York University.

Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 23February 1, 2023 2:46 AM

[quote] Seriously?

R8 also saw the coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 24February 1, 2023 2:50 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 1, 2023 2:53 AM

Except for Modern Times and The Women, most of Paulette's films are forgotten today but she really was a huge star in the 1940s, a heroine in some of the DeMIlle sagas of the era and other very popular stuff. But I think by the time stardom really came her way, she was in her 30s and kind of bored by it all and preferred to marry rich and enjoy herself.

Fascinating to think if landing Scarlett would have really changed her career and if GWTW would have been as great a film classic as it is. Her Scarlett screen tests today are pretty laughable.

by Anonymousreply 26February 1, 2023 3:03 AM

R2 is another know-nothing know-it-all who is stupid enough to refer to Paulette Goddard as a B movie actress after ignorantly rushing to Wikipedia or some other easy reference.

She was an A lister both as a "star" and as a personality. Ruthlessly and proudly self-serving, she was no one's patsy, had fun and was smarter than most. And very funny.

These twats need to quit being so needy with their posting. At least ignorance isn't as bad as stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 27February 1, 2023 3:08 AM

I agree with you, r27, but as I said in my post, I think because she has so few memorable credits (and the two I mentioned could hardly be called Paulette Goddard films), she's easy for some to dismiss.

by Anonymousreply 28February 1, 2023 3:11 AM

Ignorance is the primary reason for such dismissals, R26, and it's ignorance of the person pounced on AND what the term B movie (actress) means.

Proud prancers who prattle their just-found half-assed, incomplete bullshit are just as I said.

With respect for your obvious humanity and knowledge, don't cut SM trollers any slack. It wounds intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 29February 1, 2023 3:20 AM

Well, if you wanted to explain to someone who didn't know her work, what films of Paulette's would you recommend they watch?

by Anonymousreply 30February 1, 2023 3:24 AM

Oh, I forgot. I used to have an underskirt from Paramount with her name in it. I gave it to a friend.

by Anonymousreply 31February 1, 2023 3:26 AM

I wouldn't recommend this.

The American import speaks her lines with a thin voice made of tin. There were obvious dramas behind the scenes because Cecil Beaton did some gorgeous dresses on stage but the American obviously vetoed them.

Some women can wear a bustle and others can't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 1, 2023 3:30 AM

Her real name was Marion Levy and you can sometimes get a glimpse of her as her real self.

Minnie Castevet, as impersonated by Ruth Gordon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 1, 2023 3:36 AM

I'd have trouble recognizing Goddard in the Blackglama ad and I know full well who she is, but she looked so much different when she got older that I never know who she is until I read the caption.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 1, 2023 10:39 AM

She looks more like Betty Comden in that Blackgama ad.

by Anonymousreply 35February 1, 2023 1:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!