Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has anyone tried Gold Belly?

Its the mail version of GrubHub. Famous restaurants ship dishes across the country for astronomical prices. Has anyone tried this? Was it worth it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 6, 2023 2:19 AM

Guy Fierri nachos for $90

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 29, 2023 9:50 PM

2 NYC style pizzas for $105.95. Even if I were Bill Gates I cant justify paying these prices for basic food. Even rural America should have better choices locally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 29, 2023 9:52 PM

Overpriced, but I like it. A good way to try faraway foods in short order without getting on a plane.

by Anonymousreply 3January 29, 2023 9:53 PM

I’d love to try the Ina cakes but I know the price would be prohibitively expensive, ☹️

I can make most of her cakes anyway. The carrot-pineapple cake is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 4January 29, 2023 9:54 PM

I ordered two of Ina’s cakes. The coconut one was amazing and worth the $$$, but the chocolate one was a big disappointment as it was a lot smaller than the advertised dimensions and not properly frosted. I notified GoldBelly about it right away and they did refund almost half the cost for that one, which seemed pretty fair.

by Anonymousreply 5January 29, 2023 9:59 PM

R3 Could you make a recommendation please?

by Anonymousreply 6January 29, 2023 9:59 PM

[quote] Overpriced, but I like it. A good way to try faraway foods in short order without getting on a plane.

At those prices it might be cheaper to get on a plane.

by Anonymousreply 7January 29, 2023 10:07 PM

[quote]—I may type “fat”, but I’m actually skinny!

You’re also cute as hell, so there’s that.

by Anonymousreply 8January 29, 2023 10:08 PM

The banana pudding from Magnolia was delicious. It was a gift so I dont know the price. Feeds 4+ easily.

by Anonymousreply 9January 29, 2023 10:09 PM

[quote] but the chocolate one was a big disappointment as it was a lot smaller than the advertised dimensions and not properly frosted. I notified GoldBelly about it right away and they did refund almost half the cost for that one, which seemed pretty fair.

I feel like you should've gotten a full refund, but I guess it's hard to send back food. Seems like cake should be one of the easier foods to ship and retain quality.

by Anonymousreply 10January 29, 2023 10:12 PM

We might not like the duplicitous cow Paula Deen, but her banana pudding is truly fantastic.

Chessman cookies, bananas, pudding, real whipped cream… damn.

Easy to make, too.

by Anonymousreply 11January 29, 2023 10:13 PM

A friend sent me some North Jersey style Sloppy Joes. They were terrific. Expensive, but terrific.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 29, 2023 10:21 PM

How hard is it to make banana pudding? Store-bought cookies. You could probably use Jell-O vanilla pudding (the one you cook, not the instant) without issue. Homemade whipped cream should not be a big deal.

And bananas.

by Anonymousreply 13January 29, 2023 10:28 PM

The Whale would love it.

by Anonymousreply 14January 29, 2023 10:33 PM

I received a gift certificate for it, and used it to order from Zabar's in exile. It was worth it, although I'm not sure I'd pay the full price normally.

by Anonymousreply 15January 29, 2023 10:35 PM

Here's the Magnolia version: (and you're correct, r13, the ingredients are what you said).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 29, 2023 10:42 PM

100% mark-up.

by Anonymousreply 17January 29, 2023 10:46 PM

Thanks, R16. I see they actually use the instant (not cooked) Jell-O, which makes it even easier.

I think I'd prefer the Chessmen (Pepperidge Farm) cookies to Nilla Wafers, though.

That sweetened condensed milk (subbed for whole milk) sounds crazy sweet.

by Anonymousreply 18January 29, 2023 10:46 PM

People want the world spread at their dirty feet at their doors and shit themselves over a "100% markup," when the standard is 2.5 x or greater to try to make a profit, given today's costs.

Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 19January 29, 2023 10:49 PM

I’ve used it to send cakes to family who live out of my area for birthdays. They loved them and it was a good, reasonably priced gift.

by Anonymousreply 20January 29, 2023 10:51 PM

Here's the white chocolate coconut Bundt cake (Doan's Bakery) that Tom Cruise orders as gifts. It's $109.95.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 29, 2023 10:57 PM

We’re talking about 100% mark-up just for shipping.

by Anonymousreply 22January 29, 2023 11:01 PM

Bet Tom Cruise doesn’t pay $109.95.

by Anonymousreply 23January 29, 2023 11:02 PM

[quote]I received a gift certificate for it, and used it to order from Zabar's in exile.

r15, why is Zabar's in exile?

by Anonymousreply 24January 29, 2023 11:08 PM

I don’t send Tom Cruise level cakes and many times you can find free shipping on some items. R20

by Anonymousreply 25January 29, 2023 11:10 PM

I'm in exile. From Zabar's. New York City, too. But mostly Zabar's.

by Anonymousreply 26January 29, 2023 11:10 PM

Isn't the stuff shaken and gross when it arrives at your doorstep? (Thinking of the nachos in the above picture). even the sloppy joe sandwich is nasty after a couple of hours. Shipping frozen cakes is one thing, but how does shipping regular foods make sense when part of the point they are so good is that they are fresh?

by Anonymousreply 27January 29, 2023 11:10 PM

R19 Guy Fieris nachos are $90. That has to be at least a 5X markup considering how cheap the ingredients are.

by Anonymousreply 28January 29, 2023 11:11 PM

I don't see a problem with the markup. This is a luxury service. They've got to pick up or have delivered the item (e.g., Guy's nachos). There's a time factor. The product has to be kept hot or cold. The product has to be packed for minimum disturbance. They've got to pay for the item itself, their own overhead, same-day or overnight shipping. It all adds up.

by Anonymousreply 29January 29, 2023 11:16 PM

I'm not sure what he would pay for it, bit Bill Cosby (of all people) would regularly order ice cream from a local shop in my home town and have it shipped to him regularly back in the day. That was sort of one of their claim to fames, until all the shit went down with him. They were also voted, I believe on The Travel Channel, as having the best ice cream in the country. I won't name them for obvious reasons now though.

by Anonymousreply 30January 29, 2023 11:19 PM

R29, I only briefly glanced at the site, but many of the items I saw were listed as food kits. That makes me think it's more along the lines of something like Hello Fresh or Blue Apron. I could be wrong though.

by Anonymousreply 31January 29, 2023 11:22 PM

R30 is it Handel's? It's Handel's isn't it??

by Anonymousreply 32January 29, 2023 11:30 PM

R32, It is, lol

by Anonymousreply 33January 29, 2023 11:35 PM

Because my sister "up home" handled (badly, but she did it) finding a great place for our elderly mother to live out her days (and so sis won't make it down to FL this winter), I sent her (via Gold Belly) a key lime pie and 6 key lime pie chocolate-covered "popcicles" from Key West for all her trouble. I said on the card, "Because you can't make it down to Florida, I shipped some Florida to you. Enjoy!" It was $100 including shipping and I don't have much money, but I wanted to let her know how much I appreciated her efforts.

These are luxury gifts for special occasions. I mean, I could have sent a fruit basket, but who the hell wants a fruit basket?

She shared with my mother and my BIL and everyone loved it. I think it was worth it.

by Anonymousreply 34January 29, 2023 11:49 PM

I want to try this cake

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 29, 2023 11:56 PM

We had someone here last year that started a hilarious Fat Whore thread about eating a 20 layer peanut butter cake he'd ordered on Gold Belly all by himself.

by Anonymousreply 36January 29, 2023 11:57 PM

^ I remember that one. I have it on my list, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 30, 2023 12:02 AM

I remember that too, r36!

by Anonymousreply 38January 30, 2023 12:03 AM

I am a whore for Anderson's Frozen Custard. So I always order from Goldbelly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 30, 2023 12:08 AM

No, I'm not a rube who loves spending money stupidly. I live in a large city and there are plenty of local options that are much more affordable and accessible.

by Anonymousreply 40January 30, 2023 12:17 AM

I couldn't justify spending $70 on Goldbelly for a king cake, which is basically a cinnamon coffee cake with icing, but a friend sent me one as a thank-you. It was very good and came with overnight delivery.

by Anonymousreply 41January 30, 2023 12:17 AM

I swear we have a Gold Belly troll.

by Anonymousreply 42January 30, 2023 12:17 AM

Don't be a sanctimonious prig R40.

by Anonymousreply 43January 30, 2023 12:20 AM

[quote] No, I'm not a rube who loves spending money stupidly. I live in a large city and there are plenty of local options that are much more affordable and accessible.

Not everybody's a sophisticated city slicker.

by Anonymousreply 44January 30, 2023 12:22 AM

Clearly, R44. Datalounge is rube central these days.

by Anonymousreply 45January 30, 2023 12:25 AM

Yes, I used them a few times for special gifts… ridiculously over priced. Now they get candy baskets from Russel Stovers site…cheaper and no ones ever complained

by Anonymousreply 46January 30, 2023 12:32 AM

Gold Belly, Do you expect me to talk?

No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to enjoy a stream of air-freighted caramel to die! for

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 30, 2023 12:45 AM

Nachos? Banana pudding? Chocolate cakes?

Come on. Even if you live in just a regular city like Scottsdale or Orlando, you've got to have plenty of options for those things locally. And they're probably better cause they are legitimately fresh.

People buy this crap, then complain about climate change, not having any good restaurants around them, etc. Jesus. Is a name that important?

by Anonymousreply 48January 30, 2023 1:21 AM

Oh FFS it's not that deep. People have been mail ordering forever. This is no different than ordering a pair of pants from J Crew online, instead of you all going down to the local farm supply store to buy a pair of overalls. Get it together. Some of you dizzy queens need to get off the cross. If you don't want to buy a $70 cake, then don't buy it.

by Anonymousreply 49January 30, 2023 1:55 AM

R35 you can get those everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 50January 30, 2023 2:59 PM

Thinking about ordering r35 or r37 for Thanksgiving or Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 51November 5, 2023 6:28 PM

I hope the complainers aren't ordering Door Dash and drinking in bars. Talk about mark-ups.

That said, the nachos seem like one of the worst things to order, as far as impaired quality.

Banana pudding does seem silly, considering that homemade banana pudding involves Jell-O pudding and Chessmen or Vanilla Wafers. Yes, you can make homemade pudding, but Jell-O is pretty standard, as well.

by Anonymousreply 52November 5, 2023 6:46 PM

Whenever I mention Goldbelly on a thread I get called "the Goldbelly troll". It's exasperating.

by Anonymousreply 53November 5, 2023 6:58 PM

I used to get my mom a Parkerhouse Boston Cream Pie from Goldbelly every year for her birthday. She loved it. Wish she was still alive.

by Anonymousreply 54November 5, 2023 7:04 PM

Yes for Russ Daughters. It worked fine.

by Anonymousreply 55November 5, 2023 7:08 PM

R9 I wouldn’t walk down the block for Magnolia —floverstan tourist shite.

by Anonymousreply 56November 5, 2023 7:09 PM

A friend splurged on a pastrami sandwich kit from Katz's and liked it.

by Anonymousreply 57November 5, 2023 8:06 PM

I just don't crave anything that much to justify the expense. Enjoy it if you do

by Anonymousreply 58November 5, 2023 8:35 PM

R57 you can order directly from Katz’s. It’s probably cheaper. I’ve sent the get well soon package to a few displaced NYers and it was very much appreciated.

Yes, I am sure that each recipient has decent chicken noodle soup and bagels available nearby, and possibly matzoh ball soup, but it makes a nice gift to send something representative of a place.

by Anonymousreply 59November 5, 2023 9:08 PM

“I’ll take a 6 pack of Italian beefs.” “That will be $200!”

by Anonymousreply 60November 5, 2023 9:49 PM

Caroline’s 7-layer caramel cake was worth $70. It was so good with toasted pecans and vanilla ice cream. We froze half the cake for a second celebration.

by Anonymousreply 61November 5, 2023 10:08 PM

I know the cupcakes from Magnolia are shit but I still think of that banana pudding once in a while. It was very good.

by Anonymousreply 62November 6, 2023 2:05 AM

Now I want a Sloppy Joe.

by Anonymousreply 63November 6, 2023 2:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!