Less well-known, but almost as stuffed with this sort of nonsense, is MELINDA AND MELINDA.
* Wow -- you really know your Stravinsky!
* I saw you the other night -- listening to Mahler and crying.
* I’m going back to my mother’s name. It’s French. She was Parisian.
* It’s a mostly all-female cast, and it’s called The Castration Sonata.
* If you’ve never been in a state mental hospital languishing in a straitjacket, I wouldn’t recommend one . . . especially not the one I was in -- in the Midwest.
* I brought it on myself, because I was bored . . . I was bored being a doctor’s wife, just as my mother was bored being a doctor’s wife. Like Madame Bovary.
* See, that’s why my film -- The Castration Sonata -- puts male sexuality in perspective.
* I’m a very passionate person, so sex is very important to me. I need a lot of physical intimacy, very often and creatively.
* Maybe sex is too predatory a message to send and elegance is a better opening gambit.
* Nobody does the classics like Lee. They still rave about the Strindberg series he did.
* So are they tears of sorrow or tears of joy? -- Aren’t they the same thing?
* I don’t write operas, but my life is one.
* It may seem lightly to you, but it was nothing but Hell. And if you’ve never been arrested and put on trial, well, that alone is sentence enough. The horror, the tension, the police, the journalists.
* I remember just lying in my cell at night and thinking, "My God, you are Melinda Nash, from Park Avenue. What the Hell are you doing in a women’s prison in Illinois?”
* Congratulate me: I just got canned. Well, my version differs from theirs. They would have you believe that I couldn’t hold my liquor, which anyone who knows me knows is a baseless canard.
* You have a lovely touch of the keys. I can always see straight to a person’s soul by their intonation on an instrument.
* Melinda had a reputation for being postmodern in bed.”
* I was determined not to ask you what you saw when you looked straight through to my soul, but I have to know. [the reply-->] Something very clouded -- and protective, with lots of longing -- it was, wow, there was a great longing in the notes you played.
* I’m a good lecturer. I just hope I’m not a better lecturer than a composer.