Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do Men With Deeper Voices Get More Respect?

Admittedly I have a soft voice for a male. Sometimes when I'm on the phone the operator will call me "ma'am" and I have to correct them. I've been told I sound like Michael Jackson(A huge insult!šŸ˜”) and in my personal life both men and women tend to disregard my opinions and boundaries and I think its because of my voice. I've seen other guys get complements for having more bass in their voice and it makes me feel insecure. Even family members make fun of my voice and it makes me want to crawl under a rock. How can I fight for more respect with a soft voice?

by Anonymousreply 86February 15, 2023 7:37 PM

Bingo

by Anonymousreply 1January 28, 2023 11:07 AM

^huh? R1 I'm confused are you saying you agree or I should play more Bingo?

by Anonymousreply 2January 28, 2023 11:18 AM

Can you look into speech therapy to give more gravitas to your voice? Smoking did it for actors years ago and they all or most died of lung cancer so I wouldn't recommend it. Bacall was one of the lucky ones and lasted a long time.

by Anonymousreply 3January 28, 2023 11:24 AM

Thanks for the recommendation R3. I used to be intimidated by speech therapy but I think I'll finally try because I want to go further in my career.

by Anonymousreply 4January 28, 2023 11:31 AM

[quote]I've seen other guys get complements for having more bass in their voice

Where have you "seen" that?

by Anonymousreply 5January 28, 2023 11:38 AM

In my personal experiences R5

by Anonymousreply 6January 28, 2023 11:49 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 7January 28, 2023 11:59 AM

Oh honey, is speech therapy going to help you with you puny cocklet?

by Anonymousreply 8January 28, 2023 12:04 PM

R8 let me stick it in your mouth and see "honey"

by Anonymousreply 9January 28, 2023 12:08 PM

[quote] let me stick it in your mouth and see "honey"

Tuffgurl talk.

by Anonymousreply 10January 28, 2023 12:12 PM

You got sass, OP, you don't need a deep voice!

by Anonymousreply 11January 28, 2023 12:13 PM

Make a conscious effort to stop speaking like that - done

by Anonymousreply 12January 28, 2023 12:17 PM

I understand what you're saying R12 but I don't want to sound ridiculous like say, Elizabeth Holmes for example.

by Anonymousreply 13January 28, 2023 12:19 PM

Isn't there an app in which you can record your voice and post a sample here?

by Anonymousreply 14January 28, 2023 12:23 PM

Vocaroo. There was a charming young English bottom who used it on here quite a bit a few months ago.

by Anonymousreply 15January 28, 2023 12:24 PM

Yes, and I just hate Biden for it!

by Anonymousreply 16January 28, 2023 12:27 PM

R15 are you referring to Miss Nicolas Fairford?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 28, 2023 12:35 PM

OP, you are who you are. Some may like you, some won't; some men will follow you until the end of the world.. A higher voice has the benefit of being easier to understand (less growling and mumbling), as long as you maintain a normal volume and don't go all Michael Jackson Fey.

by Anonymousreply 18January 28, 2023 12:36 PM

What if Sam Elliott sounded like Richard Simmons?

by Anonymousreply 19January 28, 2023 12:36 PM

Historically, men were radio announcers and news reporters. Their voices are "easier on the ear" than women's.

by Anonymousreply 20January 28, 2023 12:38 PM

I know you're joking, R17, but he was an authenticated user with the name timothyc, as I recall.

by Anonymousreply 21January 28, 2023 12:45 PM

Works for women too. Elizabeth Holmes suckered LOTS of people and it wasn't with her below average looks.

by Anonymousreply 22January 28, 2023 12:48 PM

Some people are very attuned to voices and others not at all.

I think most people take note only at extremes of sonorous or gravelly on the one hand and the helium charged piercing on the other.

An aggravating factor to high voices is speaking fast. Speaking a little slower and more deliberately makes a big difference sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 23January 28, 2023 12:55 PM

R3 In her autobiography, Lauren Bacall said that Howard Hawks suggested she lower her highg pitched voice by shouting, so she went out into the canyons and read The Robe out loud, in a loud voice. Similarly, Jack Webb had a much lower voice on the 60's version of Dragnet (vs the 50s version) because he screamed for days when playing a drill sergeant in The DI. Lucille Ball's voice was suddenly much lower after doing Wildcat on Broadway. Even though they were all smokers, I'm not sure smoking actually lowers the voice, much. Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire both smoked, and didn't have low voices. Neither did Judy Garland, who smoked a lot.

by Anonymousreply 24January 28, 2023 12:55 PM

[quote]I've seen other guys get complements...

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 25January 28, 2023 12:56 PM

I do recall a talk show where a speech therapist showed techniques to deepen your voice. One wasā€”if you raise your arms up above your head, you voice naturally lowers

by Anonymousreply 26January 28, 2023 1:00 PM

Oh fuck off R25 so I forgot a letter or two big deal. You understood what I meant and that's all that matters.

by Anonymousreply 27January 28, 2023 1:00 PM

[quote] What if Sam Elliott sounded like Richard Simmons?

Katharine Ross would have fucked Steve McQueen instead, that slut.

by Anonymousreply 28January 28, 2023 1:29 PM

OP, start singing in the shower.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 28, 2023 1:55 PM

Start singing along to this "oo-papa-mau-mau" chorus for practice:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 28, 2023 2:02 PM

A gleaming shaven head, gratuitously displayed chest, and a bedroom bass voice and youā€™ll need bodyguards to pry them off you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 28, 2023 2:07 PM

[quote]I do recall a talk show where a speech therapist showed techniques to deepen your voice. One wasā€”if you raise your arms up above your head, you voice naturally lowers

There you go, OP. Now you know what to do. You'll have to put your phone on speaker, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 32January 28, 2023 2:10 PM

There is definitely a slight bias OP - I have a very deep voice and people tend to immediately believe whatever absurd nonsense I may say ā€” itā€™s a running joke between me and my friends.

Perhaps some diction lessons where you learn to make a conscious effort to talk with your ā€œchest voiceā€ rather than your ā€œhead voiceā€ will help.

by Anonymousreply 33January 28, 2023 2:15 PM

R26, that ā€œspeech therapistā€ was later exposed as an underarm hair fetishist who started countless armpit threads on DL.

by Anonymousreply 34January 28, 2023 2:39 PM

R34 Wtf that took an unexpected turn

by Anonymousreply 35January 28, 2023 2:41 PM

How come no one's mentioned the famous GAYVOICE documentary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 28, 2023 3:36 PM

Because it's mortifying ^^^^^

by Anonymousreply 37January 28, 2023 3:38 PM

Try speaking more from your diaphragm

by Anonymousreply 38January 28, 2023 3:42 PM

There's more about the GAYVOICE documentary here, OP. I personally loved it. And the American gays seemed great fun and smiley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 28, 2023 3:55 PM

*apart from the gay who actually made it. He wasn't so happy.

by Anonymousreply 40January 28, 2023 3:57 PM

[quote]Sometimes when I'm on the phone the operator will call me "ma'am" and I have to correct them.

You still talk to the OPERATOR?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 28, 2023 3:59 PM

[quote]There is definitely a slight bias OP - I have a very deep voice and people tend to immediately believe whatever absurd nonsense I may say ā€” itā€™s a running joke between me and my friends.

Same, R33. In a meeting, for example, I can offer a few hellos at the start and then wait to offer some opinion, whether to reiterate, to emphasize some particular point, to narrow or clarify the focus, or to suggest a different tacj altogether. People leave persuaded to my view or plan and act like it was a revelatory thing when usually it's just impatience to wrap up a meandering meeting.

A deep voice, the appearance of listening, speaking softly and just a bit slowly, and underplaying rather than hogging the limelight can be very persuasive.

by Anonymousreply 42January 28, 2023 4:10 PM

Obviously, OP.

by Anonymousreply 43January 28, 2023 4:44 PM

"A deep voice, the appearance of listening, speaking softly and just a bit slowly, and underplaying rather than hogging the limelight can be very persuasive."

I bet R42 has a voice like Barry White!

by Anonymousreply 44January 28, 2023 4:46 PM

Masculine men and women get the most respect.

Followed by all other women.

Then, in last place, it's any man who sounds feminine. They're not considered to be "real people" like those mentioned above.

by Anonymousreply 45January 28, 2023 4:46 PM

Actress Gloria DeHaven was a contract player at MGM. She appeared in a Joan Crawford movie. She had a high pitched voice, and Joan advised her lower it. (They had lunch in Joan's dressing room, and she liked Gloria.)

She told Gloria to read something aloud...it could be the phone book. She then told Gloria to gradually lower her voice, each time, she read it aloud. It worked! Gloria and Joan were friends. Gloria was so grateful for Crawford's advice. She said Joan was wonderful, to her.

by Anonymousreply 46January 28, 2023 5:07 PM

I can definitely see Crawford being warmer to female contracts that her rival Davis.

There's something about Davis that she saw so many other females as a threat.

by Anonymousreply 47January 28, 2023 5:09 PM

[quote]Masculine men and women get the most respect.

Masc. women? I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 48January 28, 2023 5:10 PM

If you can't fix it, OP...feature it.

by Anonymousreply 49January 28, 2023 5:15 PM

R48. Lesbians trump straight women in the workplace.

by Anonymousreply 50January 28, 2023 5:35 PM

Stereotypical ones, apologies. Or manly straight women.

by Anonymousreply 51January 28, 2023 5:36 PM

Sometimes deep voices cause a hostile fight reaction in females.

by Anonymousreply 52January 28, 2023 5:45 PM

R50, no, they don't.

by Anonymousreply 53January 28, 2023 6:43 PM

OP ā€” seeing you only respond to someone ā€œoh dear-ingā€ you, I can tell you are a MASSIVE CUNT without knowing what you sound like.

by Anonymousreply 54January 29, 2023 11:43 AM

Does pulling on oneā€™s balls change the voice? Sounds like a fun game to play with husbear, if I had one.

by Anonymousreply 55January 29, 2023 12:03 PM

[quote] OP ā€” seeing you only respond to someone ā€œoh dear-ingā€ you, I can tell you are a MASSIVE CUNT without knowing what you sound like

R54 Oh really? You can tell that through a computer screen "dutchie"? You obviously cant read because I've been responding to multiple people. And you're the only one that's called me names. Nice. Your mother should've swallowed you like you swallow random nut on your knees in the bathroom stall at the local mall. If anyone is a cunt its the Bitchy PMSing faggot like you who likes to make assumptions on a anonymous website. Go take a shower you stinky Whore.

by Anonymousreply 56January 29, 2023 12:35 PM

Ha, imagine OP berating you for teasing him...in his squeaky maĀ“am/Michael Jackson voice.

by Anonymousreply 57January 29, 2023 12:38 PM

R57 faggot

by Anonymousreply 58January 29, 2023 12:44 PM

[quote][R57] faggot

Sounds like Dutchie got you right, OP.

Maybe work on the old personality first.

by Anonymousreply 59January 29, 2023 1:08 PM

[quote][R57] faggot

I am, R58/OP, a cocksucking, ass eating, takes it and gives it ass-fucking faggot. With a deep voice. Next time maybe say something bad about me if you want to insult?

Your girly, squeaky voice may be the least of your problems.

by Anonymousreply 60January 29, 2023 1:30 PM

OP, would you rather have a black man voice when everyone on the other end of the phone can tell you are black?

by Anonymousreply 61January 29, 2023 1:50 PM

R61 PLOT TWIST: I'm actually a Black Man lol

by Anonymousreply 62January 29, 2023 2:49 PM

That tracks. Black people are always more concerned with perceived masculinity than anyone else. It supposedly has something to do with generational trauma of being emasculated during Jim Crow but it makes them seem dumb when they tell their men to put some bass in their voice. It doesnā€™t matter how well you provide for your family but god knows, donā€™t talk like a sissy.

by Anonymousreply 63January 29, 2023 2:56 PM

[quote] I'm actually a Black Man lol

I wonder lol

by Anonymousreply 64January 29, 2023 3:30 PM

So you really sound like Diana Ross?

by Anonymousreply 65February 2, 2023 10:44 AM

R65 I'M COMING OUT!!!

by Anonymousreply 66February 2, 2023 12:09 PM

Michael Jackson was a much bigger star than Barry White. Just saying...

by Anonymousreply 67February 4, 2023 1:23 PM

Not the sound of the voice, but dragging out vowels makes guys sound gay, as in Faaaabulous.

by Anonymousreply 68February 4, 2023 1:42 PM

I agree there are guys with really deep voices that still sound gay

by Anonymousreply 69February 4, 2023 2:50 PM

What kind of work do you do, OP? If you really sound like a woman or Micheal Jackson then, yes, it probably hurts you at work.

by Anonymousreply 70February 4, 2023 3:13 PM

They sure can R69!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 4, 2023 3:39 PM

The depth of a man's voice suggests the size and drop of his testicles.

by Anonymousreply 72February 7, 2023 3:22 AM

It's more about he penis.

by Anonymousreply 73February 7, 2023 5:15 AM

High/baby-voiced women are endearing to people, but high/soft-voiced men are rejected. It indicates weakness, and people want a big strong baritone they can lean on.

by Anonymousreply 74February 7, 2023 5:38 AM

Thereā€™s voice lowering surgery, but I think itā€™s in Turkey, so you may want to wait.

by Anonymousreply 75February 7, 2023 5:44 AM

R47 There were a number of younger women who talked about Bette having a good relationship with them. Theresa Wright said she and Bette had a good relationship and she always called her Mom, since Davis played her mother in The Little Foxes. I think Betty Lynn was also treated very well by Bette and they were friends, as were Bette and Elizabeth Montgomery.

Also, can someone please tell me why the phrase, "I've seen other guys get complements" was criticized with an "Oh dear"? I must be stupid because I can't find anything wrong with it.

by Anonymousreply 76February 7, 2023 6:29 AM

R47 Debbe Reynolds played Bette's daughter in The Catered Affair and they were also friendly. Debbie said, "Bette Davis was a close friend. She loved to have a good time." And also said, "Bette Davis was great to work with, and a wonderful teacher, and very kind to me. We became good friends." Bette also famously wrote a fan letter to Meryl Streep when she was starting out.

by Anonymousreply 77February 7, 2023 6:35 AM

R76, here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78February 7, 2023 6:43 AM

R78 Oh, for God's sake, really? How sad you have a need to be the spelling police.

by Anonymousreply 79February 7, 2023 6:55 AM

When R76 asked what the problem is, nothing wrong with replying. And knowing the difference between compliment/complement, stationary/stationery, capitol/capital etc. is basic English.

by Anonymousreply 80February 7, 2023 7:01 AM

[quote] Deep bass voice = big dick

Yes, it's all about the bass.

by Anonymousreply 81February 8, 2023 11:31 AM

[quote]R47 I can definitely see Crawford being warmer to female contacts that her rival Davis.

Yeah. A lot of bulldagger diesel dykes are like that.

by Anonymousreply 82February 8, 2023 12:07 PM

As I discovered, a lot of Americans just think English male voices sound gay ;).

by Anonymousreply 83February 15, 2023 6:10 PM

Mr. Deep Voice

(now Thomas Johnson at Sean Cody)

You an hear him talk in the video at the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84February 15, 2023 7:00 PM

Soft voices do have less gravitas, both for men and women. I felt my voice was too soft when I was a teenager, I worked on lowering it, kind of forcibly at first, but my register became deeper and when I hear it recorded I donā€™t flinch now.

by Anonymousreply 85February 15, 2023 7:09 PM

OP = Bubbles with undescended testicles

by Anonymousreply 86February 15, 2023 7:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!