Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Long, Long Trailer is now on Blu-ray courtesy of Warner Archive

Originally shot on Ansco Color film stock (a relatively unpopular format that was a favorite of director Vincente Minnelli for its speed and color reproduction), The Long, Long Trailer is chock full of picturesque locations including California's Pines to Palms Scenic Byway and Yosemite National Park. It's a great-looking film that shines brightly on Blu-ray thanks to Warner Archive's restoration efforts, which in this case begin with a recent 4K scan of the color negative and a little help from a duplicate, reportedly less than a minute's worth of footage.

This new scan from (mostly) first-generation elements, combined with Warner Archive's usual meticulous attention to manual cleanup, results in a jaw-dropping 1080p transfer featuring excellent color saturation, crisp fine detail, and a purely film-like appearance that remains clean and blemish-free. One particular scene -- a pre-disaster backyard meeting with Tacy's relatives at their Colorado home -- looks so perfectly crisp and natural that it supports that time-honored HDTV cliché of "looking out a window". Even mundane traffic jams appear picture-perfect here. It's just one of many well-handled Warner Archive transfers deserving of the full five-star rating, and an absolutely spectacular way to welcome this film to Blu-ray.

One added bonus is that WAC's Blu-ray presents The Long, Long Trailer in its original 1.75:1 aspect ratio for the first time on home video. An unconventional shape, to be sure, but one that translates well to 16x9 displays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 28, 2023 4:21 AM

I haven’t watched it since I was a kid but I remember finding it funny.

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2023 10:09 PM

Oh wondaful, I hope they remastered the sound too...Lucy's voice is so beautiful in this movie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 27, 2023 10:14 PM

R2

“ Unavoidably less showy but still outstanding is the DTS-HD 2.0 Master Audio mix, an equally flawless split presentation of the film's one-channel mix. Obviously its source format doesn't translate to much depth or directionality but this is still a rich and dynamic presentation overall, from standard back-and-forth dialogue to a few unexpected song breaks, claustrophobic traffic jams, wide-open roads, and a few stylish sonic touches like the swarm of worries swimming in poor Nicky's head. It's basically a pound-for-pound perfect presentation of well-kept source material, equally deserving of a full five-star rating despite the lack of bells and whistles present in stereo and surround films. Optional English (SDH) subtitles are included during the main feature only, but not the extras. This is annoying since the DVD that they were sourced from did in fact have optional subtitles available. It's perhaps my only ongoing hang-up regarding Warner Archive releases, and one that I hope is finally addressed at some point.”

by Anonymousreply 3January 27, 2023 10:17 PM

I remember this movie being on like every few months is like a movie of the week. I think it was the fox affiliate before Fox was like a network every night.

by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2023 10:19 PM

It's a movie worth seeing once. I've seen it. So I'll pass on spending $ for a blu-ray.

by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2023 10:34 PM

Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 6January 28, 2023 12:59 AM

Middle-aged Lucy and Desi as newlyweds... hee-larious!

by Anonymousreply 7January 28, 2023 2:15 AM

It's a nice chance to see Lucille and Desi Sr. "channel" their Ricardos personas' spirit into the film's 2 co-starring characters, but in color. Love the Lucille-cooking-dinner scene when the trailer is bouncing open everywhere while oblivious Desi is happily driving and singing in their car pulling that tank behind him. Also hate that the Warners Archive that owns this and other Metro studio films belies to younger viewers and fans that this movie was originally made by MGM. Fun picture!

by Anonymousreply 8January 28, 2023 3:25 AM

I miss Viv and Bill.

Well, mostly Viv.

by Anonymousreply 9January 28, 2023 3:45 AM

Lucy and Desi doing a movie promo at the studio...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 28, 2023 4:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!