Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Academy ‘Conducting Review’ After Andrea Riseborough’s Surprise Oscar Nomination

I guess they feel her nomination is fishy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600January 31, 2023 7:17 PM

This has Academy member Ava DuVernay written all over it.

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2023 9:17 PM

R1 Jada more like.

What s shitty thing to do to this actress. Oscars so shit.

by Anonymousreply 2January 27, 2023 9:17 PM

Andrea, you in danger, girl.

by Anonymousreply 3January 27, 2023 9:18 PM

That would be depressing, if you were the nominee : (

by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2023 9:19 PM

The Oscar's are officially dead. RIP.

This makes no sense at all. This will infuriate middle America and regular white people. So things are suspicious because she didn't actively campaign with huge billboards and lots of $$$. Wouldn't that mean the system is working and egalitarian.

by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2023 9:21 PM

Of course, this is next level cunting because someone dared not nominate the black actresses.

by Anonymousreply 6January 27, 2023 9:21 PM

I think Andrea's tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 7January 27, 2023 9:22 PM

R5 SHE IS NOT BLACK.

by Anonymousreply 8January 27, 2023 9:22 PM

[quote]a nomination over the likes of Viola Davis (“The Woman King”)

LOL - seriously? Did people see that pile of silliness?

She didn't campaign with billboards but used "aggressive" tactics, like getting A-list endorsements, include Cate Blanchette, another nominee?

by Anonymousreply 9January 27, 2023 9:23 PM

R8, That's a big part of my point. I know that. Reread my post.

by Anonymousreply 10January 27, 2023 9:24 PM

LA LA LAND!

by Anonymousreply 11January 27, 2023 9:25 PM

She absolutely deserves the nomination. This is vile.

by Anonymousreply 12January 27, 2023 9:26 PM

Shouldn't the Academy conduct a review of how Grace Kelly won over Judy then give her the Oscar posthumously?

by Anonymousreply 13January 27, 2023 9:28 PM

The Asians never had actresses nominated until Parasite, andI only one male win for supporting actor (Killing Fields?).. We get what- one lead, one supporting actress, 2 male supportings this year and all of a sudden we've taken over the awards. Boo fucking hoo.

by Anonymousreply 14January 27, 2023 9:29 PM

For years the Oscar's were horrible at diversity and inclusion. But they have gotten a lot better in the past 2 decades.

With that being said, the shit is still a fkin popularity contest and nose browsing spectacle. If black Hollywood elites are behind this they ought be ashamed. Black popular actors who give great performances are usually nominated and increasingly those from smaller films or buzzworthy performances.

Diversity ain't gna change the nature of what this shit is about. And there are bigger causes in the world like the young black man who got his ass beat to death by fucking black cops. Have any of them posted THAT on their social media.

by Anonymousreply 15January 27, 2023 9:31 PM

This is all just so dumb. Oscars don’t actually mean anything anyway.

by Anonymousreply 16January 27, 2023 9:35 PM

Miyoshi Umeki, 1958

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 27, 2023 9:36 PM

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 18January 27, 2023 9:38 PM

Did you have to look that up r17? Would anyone be able to throw that out if that if you asked them? Almost 60 years from her win to Parasite.

by Anonymousreply 19January 27, 2023 9:40 PM

R5 this will infuriate white people? Why? They said nothing about Black people. You were just assuming as usual that this is about Black people. In reality, it is not about Black people, but it is about the fact that a woman got a nomination for an Oscar, despite having no award nominations leading up to this. And she only started campaigning days before the Oscar nominations were announced. So how do you think it has to do with Black people when it has to do with the fact that she got a nomination, despite hardly campaigning?

by Anonymousreply 20January 27, 2023 9:41 PM

Viola Davis should have her Oscar stripped for her wretched portrayal of Michelle Obama, much less nominated again for that Woman King dreck.

by Anonymousreply 21January 27, 2023 9:42 PM

R19 And no Russian has won an acting Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 22January 27, 2023 9:42 PM

P.S. And never a lead actress/actor win ever. And it wasn't Parasite, it was Minar in 2020i, for supporting actress.

by Anonymousreply 23January 27, 2023 9:44 PM

What a fucked up shitty thing to do to her. Her nomination now has an asterisk tainting it because of some bullshit complaining.

by Anonymousreply 24January 27, 2023 9:50 PM

More surprising to me was the nomination for Ana De Armis

by Anonymousreply 25January 27, 2023 9:50 PM

The Parasite actors weren’t nominated.

by Anonymousreply 26January 27, 2023 9:51 PM

R24 it isn’t about complaining. It’s about her being nominated for a movie most voters didn’t even see, and for a campaign that started DAYS before Oscars were announced. Something fishy happened.

by Anonymousreply 27January 27, 2023 9:51 PM

We are in scary times. The woke mob will never be pleased. The only way we're gonna get out of this is if we refuse to acquiesce to these online monsters. She got in based on merit and now they want to rescind her nomination because she's not black.

by Anonymousreply 28January 27, 2023 9:52 PM

She only had to get 218 votes out of nearly ten thousand members? That is utterly fucking ridiculous. Her nomination should be immediately rescinded. Voting needs to be much more transparent. What a mess.

by Anonymousreply 29January 27, 2023 9:53 PM

AND THE AWARD GOES TO... LA LA LAND!*

*no...no...wait,

by Anonymousreply 30January 27, 2023 9:54 PM

[quote]This will infuriate middle America and regular white people.

As opposed to irregular white people?

Jesus you kooks see culture war bullshit in literally everything.

by Anonymousreply 31January 27, 2023 9:54 PM

Thanks for the goddamn support, poo-stabbers!

by Anonymousreply 32January 27, 2023 9:54 PM

The movie made $27,000. Quite literally almost no one saw it, and that most likely includes her friends who put together an extremely aggressive and loud campaign for her. Now, they’re facing investigations (Frances Fisher is apparently being looked at) and it all looks really dirty. It makes zero sense that Deadwyler who has been part of the conversation for months and nominated for multiple awards is suddenly out of the running because some unknown old white actress that no one has seen or cares about in years has powerful friends. Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 33January 27, 2023 9:58 PM

poo stabbers LOL

by Anonymousreply 34January 27, 2023 10:02 PM

I knew this was going to happen the moment I read about her campaign. Academy members aren't going to want this to become the new normal. Not because this kind of campaign obviously favors white artists with larger networks, but because this would lead to voters getting harassed through the entire voting period. The e-mails sent out for Riseborough's campaign were so damn pushy that they were being told to post about the movie every day on social media.

Frances Fisher is also a cunt for saying that the other actresses were shoo-ins and it sounds like her post may have broken a rule.

by Anonymousreply 35January 27, 2023 10:03 PM

[quote]Did you have to look that up [R17]?

Sadly, no.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 27, 2023 10:03 PM

This squabble will damage the Academy much more than Will Smith was able to.

by Anonymousreply 37January 27, 2023 10:03 PM

The Academy is shocked, stunned, appalled, agast, FLABBERGASTED to hear that someone has campaigned for a nomination. This is a truly unprecedented act and threatens the esteem in which the Academy is held, and indeed its reputation for voting integrity.

The Academy will be conducting a thorough investigation, and will take all action necessary, up to and including sending Academy Award winner Will Smith round to give Miss Riseborough one of his traditional televised vicious slappings.

by Anonymousreply 38January 27, 2023 10:03 PM

Frances Fisher, return to the sidelines, please. You're not needed on the field.

Frances Fisher.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 39January 27, 2023 10:06 PM

Was the film available on streaming services or does the $27,000 gross represent the entirety of people who saw it?

by Anonymousreply 40January 27, 2023 10:06 PM

[quote]There’s a cottage industry that’s emerged around the Oscars, one that generates a lot of money for strategists and advisors. Riseborough may have imperiled that and could be facing blowback for working outside the system.

Oooooooooooooh.

by Anonymousreply 41January 27, 2023 10:07 PM

R40 Isn't on download sites.

by Anonymousreply 42January 27, 2023 10:07 PM

This stuff happens.

by Anonymousreply 43January 27, 2023 10:07 PM

R40 It was made available to Academy voters through their viewing portals. Part of Riseborough's campaign was e-mailing and calling voters to tell them that the movie was available and that they should watch it.

by Anonymousreply 44January 27, 2023 10:11 PM

How embarrassing this entire fiasco must be for her.

by Anonymousreply 45January 27, 2023 10:11 PM

Let’s cut the equity nonsense, shall we?

by Anonymousreply 46January 27, 2023 10:14 PM

Rogerebert dot com did call it “One of the best performances you will see this year.” So it’s not like Scott Baio was suddenly nominated.

(BTW: It’s odd to me that such a site keeps generating reviews after his death. Maybe THAT should be investigated!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 27, 2023 10:15 PM

Is it kosher for potential nominees to directly call and email voters?

by Anonymousreply 48January 27, 2023 10:17 PM

The whole thing is rigged toward the more commercial properties. If lots of people thought she was worth getting behind like that, why not?

by Anonymousreply 49January 27, 2023 10:18 PM

Why couldn't the Academy have kept its collective mouths SHUT until after the ceremony - if they felt the need to say anything at all? IMO it's not like she's going to win the thing. Even if she does, let her have her moment. She is a talented actress and by all reports gave a stunning performance in To Leslie. Let the film find an audience.

by Anonymousreply 50January 27, 2023 10:18 PM

And be sure to tune in to he 95th Academy Awards ceremony presented on March 12, 2023, where the laughs will be non-stop and all the zaniness continues!

by Anonymousreply 51January 27, 2023 10:19 PM

[quote]It makes zero sense that Deadwyler who has been part of the conversation for months and nominated for multiple awards is suddenly out of the running because some unknown old white actress that no one has seen or cares about in years has powerful friends.

It's not against the rules to advocate for a nomination. Unless the voting process was tainted, I don't know what the remedy is supposed to be. And if it is proven tainted, then all nominees are suspect and the process should begin again, with safeguards in place.

by Anonymousreply 52January 27, 2023 10:19 PM

Whoever is leading this investigation could perhaps put their energy behind more important causes impacting black people negatively. Boo fucking hooo 2 rich black bitches didn’t get nominated for a little trophy. They got paid didn't they?

by Anonymousreply 53January 27, 2023 10:19 PM

Is it that fucking serious? What a waste of ' investigation '

by Anonymousreply 54January 27, 2023 10:20 PM

Ms Riseborough should Tell The Academy to go fuck themselves.

by Anonymousreply 55January 27, 2023 10:21 PM

All I did was produce and mail out -- on my own dime -- VHS tapes to eligible voters so they could make an informed decision and I was raked over the coals like I was Satan or something.

by Anonymousreply 56January 27, 2023 10:21 PM

I wasn't aware campaigning was verboten.

by Anonymousreply 57January 27, 2023 10:23 PM

No R48. There’s precedent for people having noms rescinded because of that. There isn’t evidence Riseborough did that, but her friends did.

by Anonymousreply 58January 27, 2023 10:27 PM

I wish Andrea would say FUCK YOU and withdraw. How insulting and infuriating.

by Anonymousreply 59January 27, 2023 10:28 PM

Because there’s been an uproar for days R50 and the industry is talking about nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 60January 27, 2023 10:28 PM

Who is behind this?

by Anonymousreply 61January 27, 2023 10:29 PM

She should withdraw R59 because she should never have been nominated in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 62January 27, 2023 10:29 PM

Everyone R61. This isn’t an orchestrated campaign against her. People are really furious.

by Anonymousreply 63January 27, 2023 10:29 PM

R44, are they able to track what voters watch on their viewing portals?

- R40

by Anonymousreply 64January 27, 2023 10:33 PM

[quote] We are in scary times. The woke mob will never be pleased.

Oh yes it’s the WoKe MoB that’s the problem, not the violent far right racist Nazis trying to take over the government lead by a reality TV show loser, you fucking racist Trumpie moron.

Sit down and shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 65January 27, 2023 10:34 PM

The first time that I visited LA I was surprised at the number of billboards all over the place for various movies / actors with “For Your Consideration” plastered along the top.

That was years ago when I was naive and wasn’t aware of campaigns to get movies and people the award.

by Anonymousreply 66January 27, 2023 10:35 PM

HEY AMPAS - KEEP MY NAME OUT. YOUR. FUCKING. MOUTH.

by Anonymousreply 67January 27, 2023 10:37 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 27, 2023 10:40 PM

This has Jada Punkass Smith written all over it.

by Anonymousreply 69January 27, 2023 10:41 PM

So the Academy thinks her nomination is fishy, because she somehow outsmarted their fixed, pre-selected Affirmative Action picks. Got it.

by Anonymousreply 70January 27, 2023 10:43 PM

[Quote] She only had to get 218 votes out of nearly ten thousand members? That is utterly fucking ridiculous. Her nomination should be immediately rescinded. Voting needs to be much more transparent. What a mess.

Is the acting branch made up of 10K members because only actors NOMINATE actors? I don't think so R29. The entire membership all NOMINATE Best Picture only.

by Anonymousreply 71January 27, 2023 10:43 PM

R69 you think Jada is that powerful? What a laugh

by Anonymousreply 72January 27, 2023 10:45 PM

This is likely neither about race or artistic merit. It's financial. All of the other films nominated had substantial investors, including voting academy members, who get a substantial cut of the normal revenue boost that comes with a nomination or a win. No one in the academy had a financial interest in Riseborough's film. They don't stand to gain anything financially from its nomination, or its potential win. They do, however, have a lot to lose if an expected nominee from a film they invested in did not make it into one of the big three categories.

by Anonymousreply 73January 27, 2023 10:45 PM

R62 = Whoopi

by Anonymousreply 74January 27, 2023 10:47 PM

How many voting members does the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science have?

8,469 voting members

by Anonymousreply 75January 27, 2023 10:47 PM

I don’t remember her in BIRDMAN, but she was fantastic in BLACK MIRROR.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 27, 2023 10:47 PM

Addendum at R72. By, "no one in the academy invested in Riseborough's film", I mean with the possible exception of those who campaigned hard for her as best actress.

by Anonymousreply 77January 27, 2023 10:48 PM

Ruh roh!. Love it. I hope this Andrea chick withdraws to make this more messy

by Anonymousreply 78January 27, 2023 10:51 PM

This feels like a made up scandal to cover for the fact that the president of the Academy essentially told people to vote for Yeoh and retweeted a campaign event for Everything Everywhere

by Anonymousreply 79January 27, 2023 10:52 PM

Is someone at the Academy in contact with DJT, Kari Lake and Marjorie T. Greene?

by Anonymousreply 80January 27, 2023 10:52 PM

The Academy conducting an internal "review"> The ACADEMY?

That's like the Supreme Court justices investigating themselves and finding no one released the thing that was released.

Is Alito running the Academy, too?

by Anonymousreply 81January 27, 2023 10:54 PM

So the black actresses are mad they didn't get nominated so they now want an investigation..these people are so entitled

by Anonymousreply 82January 27, 2023 10:55 PM

I suspect the stink is because she has the nerve to be white, denying another worthy nomination to another African Princess Queen Yes Goddess Pride Mother with Superpowers.

Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 83January 27, 2023 10:56 PM

Hit Post before pasting the quote

[quote]Someone seems to have informed Academy president Janet Yang that she probably shouldn’t be posting a lengthy endorsement of Everything Everywhere All at Once star Michelle Yeoh just as Oscar voting was starting this weekend. Influential plugs like that are considered a no-no for Academy leaders, especially its president, and especially during the height of a heated Oscar campaign. Yang lauded her “four decades of love” for Yeoh, adding “it’s sobering why it took so long” for the awards recognition; she also posted a video of a Netflix campaign event for Pinocchio filmmaker Guillermo del Toro, but at least that was at an Academy venue.

[quote]A couple Academy members reached out to me to voice frustration about Yang’s quasi-endorsements (none connected to Cate Blanchett or any Yeoh rival), and by this morning, when I asked the Academy about it, Yang had deleted the posts. The Academy isn’t commenting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 27, 2023 10:56 PM

[quote]She only had to get 218 votes out of nearly ten thousand members? That is utterly fucking ridiculous. Her nomination should be immediately rescinded. Voting needs to be much more transparent. What a mess.

Please. The Oscars are an entertainment show that almost nobody outside of Hollywood cares about. Get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 85January 27, 2023 10:58 PM

These fools give themselves televised awards on a yearly basis and take themselves as seriously as a heart attack.

An “investigation” into some actresses posting on their Instagrams?

Lord the DRAMA.

by Anonymousreply 86January 27, 2023 11:03 PM

[quote]Imagine if the Academy decided to replace Riseborough in Best Actress with the 6th place finisher and it ended up being, like, Olivia Colman for Empire of Light.

LOL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 27, 2023 11:03 PM

In the few past instances of a nomination being rescinded, a new nominee was not added to the list. The category simply had fewer nominees.

by Anonymousreply 88January 27, 2023 11:06 PM

Her performance was incredible, definitely Oscar worthy. This is just a case of sour grapes. Hollywood is full of bitter cunts.

by Anonymousreply 89January 27, 2023 11:13 PM

I was incorrect before. To Leslie has been available to download since October.

by Anonymousreply 90January 27, 2023 11:24 PM

Okay, so, several famous people devoted their time to ask their friends to check out this flop of a movie that was actually quite wonderful, because they felt the lead actress gave a legendary performance and truly deserved the career boost that an Oscar nomination could potentially provide. And many of the friends actually watched it, and enough of those who watched it were moved to vote for Ms. Riseborough right before the deadline that she made it onto the list.

I'm not seeing the crime here. To my knowledge, no one is being accused of coercing or threatening anyone to vote a certain way. And if campaigning for a nom isn't kosher, then what the hell do you call billboards, press junkets, trade paper ads, and luncheons? The last minute aspect of it is some Frank Capra shit, so how can they object to it?

And if by some strange reason they decide there was indeed wrongdoing in this case, what the hell does the academy think they can do about it? Are they going to ban members from recommending movies to their friends? How ridiculous.

The entire process has as much integrity as a pro wrestling match, so all this pearl clutching is just silly.

by Anonymousreply 91January 27, 2023 11:26 PM

You know it r83.

by Anonymousreply 92January 27, 2023 11:28 PM

This is some bitter black bitches who feel they're automatically entitled to a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 93January 27, 2023 11:36 PM

nominations should definitely be given the traditional way only - by spending millions and millions of dollars for publicity. none of this word of mouth shit, it's undignified.

by Anonymousreply 94January 27, 2023 11:40 PM

Woke culture - everybody wants a participation trophy.

by Anonymousreply 95January 27, 2023 11:42 PM

This is the most ridiculous thing ever. So the Academy admits the award isn't about merit, it's about campaigning and pandering. The Bafta is now more prestigious than the Oscar's in my book.

I fucks heavy with Marlon Brando. He was on to something.

by Anonymousreply 96January 28, 2023 12:06 AM

[quote]I fucks heavy with Marlon Brando.

Pix please.

by Anonymousreply 97January 28, 2023 12:07 AM

The Academy's nominating process is shady and corrupt?? I'm SHOCKED!

by Anonymousreply 98January 28, 2023 12:09 AM

At this point I hope she wins. I don't even know who this bitch is. These fkin millionaires act like they are winning the mafuckin Nobel Peace Prize. Fuck em all.

by Anonymousreply 99January 28, 2023 12:10 AM

The excuse on the usual places seems to be that other candidates did the 'work' by 'properly' campaigning and Riseborough instead was going the easy route, instead of going around kissing ass she got word of mouth going via friends. Just seems to be working smarter not harder to me.

Also, this was being talked about for weeks, so it's odd that the Academy is all of a sudden now shocked to find gambling going on.

by Anonymousreply 100January 28, 2023 12:10 AM

R82, I thought so too but many are saying this is not about black actresses but that should pulled a social media, friends in high places campaign. Wtf is wrong withthat.

So she pulled a Trump. So what. Kudos to her.

And I hate fkin Trump.

by Anonymousreply 101January 28, 2023 12:15 AM

R99: She deserves to win. Williams and De Armas nominations are trash and don't even deserve to be there. Blanchett and Yeoh are just nomination worthy and that's it.

by Anonymousreply 102January 28, 2023 12:16 AM

R97, HAlAhaha. I wish; he was fine in youth. It's an expression dear.

by Anonymousreply 103January 28, 2023 12:17 AM

So corrupt

by Anonymousreply 104January 28, 2023 12:17 AM

DIY campaigns have been around for years. Shit, that’s how Diane Ladd got her 2nd and 3rd nominations. She actually got the movie studio to give her three VHS cassettes of Wild at Heart that she loaned to her friends in the Academy, and she would also host spaghetti dinners in her home for voters and then play the film after dinner. Because the studio wasn't going to spend a dime on an Oscar campaign for Wild at Heart and they didn't.

by Anonymousreply 105January 28, 2023 12:23 AM

[quote]She only had to get 218 votes out of nearly ten thousand members? That is utterly fucking ridiculous.

No R29. If you had bothered to actually read the article, it says that she needed to be ranked first on 218 out of a possible 1,302 ballots. That is assuming that all 1,302 members of the Actors Branch voted. (They probably didn't.)

The Academy uses a proportional ranked-choice voting system and only the Actors Branch nominates actors. The full Academy membership votes on the final ballot.

by Anonymousreply 106January 28, 2023 12:54 AM

[quote] I wasn't aware campaigning was verboten. -Melissa Leo

Neither were we. ~ AnnE Hathaway and Kate Winslet

by Anonymousreply 107January 28, 2023 12:59 AM

I suppose this'll be a yearly thing now. People getting slapped and questioning people's nominations.

by Anonymousreply 108January 28, 2023 1:03 AM

Unless they can prove that she paid voters from her own checking account, this is stupid. Even if she hired a PR firm, who cares? They all do that.

Paul Mescal took a spot from a small film and no one is accusing him of cheating.

by Anonymousreply 109January 28, 2023 1:04 AM

Both Bill Nighy and Paul Mescal were out of left field nominees to me as well. Does that make their inclusion in the Best Actor category 'fishy' or just unexpected?

by Anonymousreply 110January 28, 2023 1:06 AM

Margaret Avery always has my heart with her campaign.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111January 28, 2023 1:07 AM

R73’s comment is worth repeating:

[quote][bold]It's financial. All of the other films nominated had substantial investors, including voting academy members, who get a substantial cut of the normal revenue boost that comes with a nomination or a win.[/bold] No one in the academy had a financial interest in Riseborough's film. They don't stand to gain anything financially from its nomination, or its potential win. [bold]They… have a lot to lose if an expected nominee from a film they invested in did not make it into one of the big three categories.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 112January 28, 2023 1:15 AM

[quote]It's financial. All of the other films nominated had substantial investors, including voting academy members, who get a substantial cut of the normal revenue boost that comes with a nomination or a win. No one in the academy had a financial interest in Riseborough's film. They don't stand to gain anything financially from its nomination, or its potential win. They… have a lot to lose if an expected nominee from a film they invested in did not make it into one of the big three categories.

Go Woke, Go Broke.

by Anonymousreply 113January 28, 2023 1:18 AM

R109 has a very good point and I’d like to expand on it

Paul Mescal was a surprise nomination, and people were delighted. Why aren’t people mad about that?

Or even closer to home, Ana de Armas starred in a film which is this year’s Razzie LEADER. But no one is investigating her nomination?

Paul Mescal and Ana de Armas get passes and Andrea Riseborough doesn’t because Andrea Riseborough has already passed her LAST FUCKABLE DAY. She is no use to Hollywood, and her existence as an aging actor who was never a stunning beauty (like Brendan Fraser once was), acting virtuoso (like Blanchett) or esteemed veteran (Bill Nighy) infuriates the people at the top of the pyramid who make the rules. How dare Andrea Riseborough remind people that she exists!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114January 28, 2023 1:20 AM

[quote]At this point I hope she wins. I don't even know who this bitch is

Ha- I was going to post something similar, although I had streamed the movie last month and was familiar with it. I freaking love when an unexpected nominee wins over an odds on favorite. I totally **MARY'd**out the years when Anthony Hopkins won over Boseman, and Olivia Coleman won over Glenn. This year it's already a forgone conclusion that Yeoh has it in the bag.

by Anonymousreply 115January 28, 2023 1:23 AM

Bingo r114. Beautifully said.

by Anonymousreply 116January 28, 2023 1:25 AM

The Academy should be reviewing/investigating how the fuck Ana de Armas got a nomination for that piss poor performance in Blonde.

by Anonymousreply 117January 28, 2023 1:35 AM

Brian Tyree Henry also came out of nowhere to nab a nomination. Didn't he have actors like Jennifer Lawrence campaigning for him?

by Anonymousreply 118January 28, 2023 1:35 AM

BECAUSE PEOPLE WANT TO FUCK ME!

I AM HOLLYWOOD!

by Anonymousreply 119January 28, 2023 1:37 AM

I’m sorry Whoopi and Viola, but voters probably didn’t even watch your films. Nothing is guaranteed.

by Anonymousreply 120January 28, 2023 1:40 AM

r117 all I can think is that she fucked the right people. I can't explain her "stardom" or Oscar nomination another way. She's a horrible actress and completely boring.

by Anonymousreply 121January 28, 2023 1:41 AM

Sorry this doesn't have Jade P, Smith all over it.

This has WHOOPI GOLDBERG all over it. She sits on the board of governors for the Oscars and she's been pissed that her film 'Till' was ignored. Especially ignored in the 'best actress' category. I say she launched this investigation - she has lost a lot with the snub.

by Anonymousreply 122January 28, 2023 1:41 AM

#OscarsSoScared

by Anonymousreply 123January 28, 2023 1:41 AM

Count me as one of the ones who wondered how the fuck Ana de Armas got a nomination. I had heard only heard shitty things about the movie and given all the Razzies nominations the day before, it was a real head scratcher.

by Anonymousreply 124January 28, 2023 1:50 AM

This all came about because of one person: Patti Lupone.

That's right. She called Riseborough a "movie killer" on Andy Cohen's "Watch What Happens Live" and said she would never sit through a movie she starred in. The Academy took note.

by Anonymousreply 125January 28, 2023 1:54 AM

And the bigots, racists and the mono-syllabic "Woke" assholes are out in force.

So typical of the DL nowadays.

It's time for the Oscars to go away.

They were a mechanism to promote and market Hollywood.

Well done. You've had a good, and bad, run.

For years, the only reason to watch them was for the DL threads about the Red Carpet fashions and to read, post and laugh about the train-wreck, I'm-caught-in-its-tractor-beam-and-can't-look-away aspect to the TV spectacle itself.

And now, even that's gone.

For crying out loud, AMPAS, cancel yourself.

by Anonymousreply 126January 28, 2023 1:57 AM

They are not happy because they wanted an AA to be nominated

by Anonymousreply 127January 28, 2023 1:58 AM

Riseborough's performance is definitely Oscar-worthy, it's devastating in its realness. If you've ever known a severe alcoholic, this is exactly what it looks like.

I hope she wins. Not just for her performance, but as a big "fuck you" to the Academy.

by Anonymousreply 128January 28, 2023 2:01 AM

I hope she wins, too. And turn down all subsequent offers to do a superhero movie.

by Anonymousreply 129January 28, 2023 2:07 AM

[quote]whether changes to the guidelines may be needed in a new era of social media and digital communication.

Oh, this is going to be interesting. Imagine if they tell Jane Fonda she can't post on social media about a movie and performance she liked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130January 28, 2023 2:08 AM

what r73 said, too.

Riseborough should insist that she will not recognize her nomination, nor will she attend the telecast.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against her.

But if she announces that now, and follows through, that truly would be a "conspicuous by their absence" moment, and would generate even more interest and curiosity about her.

The AMPAS and Riseborough, except for this nomination, have ignored each other up to this point, so why not?

by Anonymousreply 131January 28, 2023 2:09 AM

[quote]Sally Kirkland famously wrote letters to voters and spoke with any available journalist to promote herself in the tiny dramedy “Anna” (1987.)

Didn't help.

by Anonymousreply 132January 28, 2023 2:18 AM

Between "Till," "Wakawanda Forever" and the Will Smith redemption failure, how about letting up a little, Dear Black People in the Business?

I was going to say "lightening" but you're so fucking hyper you'd probably make a movie about your outrage.

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 133January 28, 2023 2:20 AM

[quote]R131 Riseborough should insist that she will not recognize her nomination, nor will she attend the telecast.

Fuck that. She’s a good actress and did nothing wrong. And she hired a PR firm to orchestrate her campaign, so she’s rightly invested.

All performers are in the business of promoting themselves. Or should be, if they want to advance.

by Anonymousreply 134January 28, 2023 2:22 AM

All this fuss about merely getting nominated...

by Anonymousreply 135January 28, 2023 2:25 AM

I was a nominator for the SAG awards, and watched To Leslie. I thought she was great but the first half of the movie was hard to sit through. Then I saw her in two other roles, completely different to the one in To Leslie, the harridan cockney mother in Matilda, and the very rich, elegant and spoiled wife of Christian Bale in Amsterdam. At that point I knew she was brilliant and figured she could play anything. They should keep her and get rid of Ana de Armas.

by Anonymousreply 136January 28, 2023 2:30 AM

R136 Can I suck your dick ?

by Anonymousreply 137January 28, 2023 2:34 AM

Interesting article about the furor in 1935 when Bette Davis wasn't nominated for "Of Human Bondage."

"Demands for write-in votes began pouring in. Even nominee Norma Shearer expressed her support for giving Davis a chance."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138January 28, 2023 2:37 AM

[quote]they wanted an AA to be nominated

Andrea played someone who didn't need AA.

The manufactured controversy is classism as she is working class from Newcastle playing destitute in West Texas.

by Anonymousreply 139January 28, 2023 2:45 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140January 28, 2023 2:50 AM

"This makes no sense at all. This will infuriate middle America and regular white people"

Most white people have never seen this movie and don't know who the actress is

"They are not happy because they wanted an AA to be nominated"

According to racist dataloungers.

Fuck all of you Klan Grannies trying to blame black people for everything you don't like

by Anonymousreply 141January 28, 2023 2:55 AM

"I’m sorry Whoopi and Viola, but voters probably didn’t even watch your films."

How many people saw To Leslie? 12?

by Anonymousreply 142January 28, 2023 2:55 AM

"Woke culture - everybody wants a participation trophy."

You mean like your idol Trump, who thinks he won an election that he actually lost by 7 million votes? or kari Lake who still insists she won?

You Republicans seem to like "participation trophies" a lot

by Anonymousreply 143January 28, 2023 2:57 AM

"The woke mob will never be pleased. The only way we're gonna get out of this is if we refuse to acquiesce to these online monsters. She got in based on merit and now they want to rescind her nomination because she's not black."

Her nomination hasn't been rescinded and you're just a low IQ conservative trying to blame black people for everything you don't like. I doubt you even saw To Leslie, I bet 99% of you racist probably don't watch anything but Fox News

by Anonymousreply 144January 28, 2023 2:58 AM

"In the few past instances of a nomination being rescinded, a new nominee was not added to the list. The category simply had fewer nominees."

Correct, but try telling that to DL racist rednecks who think this is a plot to get a nomination for a black actress

by Anonymousreply 145January 28, 2023 3:01 AM

"The movie made $27,000. Quite literally almost no one saw it, and that most likely includes her friends who put together an extremely aggressive and loud campaign for her."

Yep, no one here saw this movie, they're just looking for any excuse to attack black people

by Anonymousreply 146January 28, 2023 3:02 AM

R145 Oh fuck off back to LSA.

by Anonymousreply 147January 28, 2023 3:07 AM

Her film seems to have been an absolute bomb. She won no other major nominations. Most cinema-goers wouldn’t recognise her.

But, rather crucially, enough of the Academy electorate saw it and admired her work enough to want to see her recognised as a great actress (which she undoubtedly is). If they had wanted to vote for Whoopi or Viola, they would have. But they didn’t. That’s all that matters, and is all that should matter in this situation.

by Anonymousreply 148January 28, 2023 3:08 AM

Why on earth would her nomination be rescinded? It always happens that someone gets snubbed. And Whoopi and Viola are very unlikable.

by Anonymousreply 149January 28, 2023 3:20 AM

There's an uproar against Riseborough and her pals' campaign for her, but there won't be a peep when Angela Bassett probably wins this year over the more-worthy performances of Kerry Condon, Hong Chau and Stephanie Hsu.

Make no mistake, I like and respect Bassett, she's a great actress - but winning for a COMIC book movie b/c some feel she's overdue is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 150January 28, 2023 3:25 AM

[quote]There's an uproar against Riseborough and her pals' campaign for her

Is it because it was out of the studios' control, or because such campaigns threaten the multimillion-dollar "For Your Consideration" ad racket?

by Anonymousreply 151January 28, 2023 3:27 AM

[quote]Yep, no one here saw this movie, they're just looking for any excuse to attack black people

I saw it and Andrea Riseborough's performance is brilliant, she deserves the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 152January 28, 2023 3:29 AM

The Oscars have most usually been a popularity contest, anyway. If Ms. Riseborough is suddenly popular amongst her peers, good for her.

by Anonymousreply 153January 28, 2023 3:29 AM

[quote]Paul Mescal was a surprise nomination, and people were delighted. Why aren’t people mad about that?

Come on now, let's not pretend the two are comparable. No doubt he was campaigning too, but it was at least more subtle than celebrity friends tweeting the exact same stuff. I don't believe she did anything wrong, but it was the most blatant and hilariously inorganic campaigning ever seen, and yes I include that woman who bought ads and sent letters begging for the Oscar. Apparently all masterminded by Mary McCormack, who is married to the director of the film.

[quote]Riseborough should insist that she will not recognize her nomination, nor will she attend the telecast.

She should say she stands with the egregiously overlooked WOC not nominated.

by Anonymousreply 154January 28, 2023 3:35 AM

[quote] Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences rules against directly lobbying voters. Academy rules forbid individuals from giving "their personal signature, personal regards, or pleas to watch the film" when sending correspondence to voters.

I don’t understand this. Politicians beg for votes, why shouldn’t actors?

Do they think members will feel pressured if, say, a big star directly solicits their vote, and no one will vote on merit?

by Anonymousreply 155January 28, 2023 3:41 AM

Just a little tip, R144 - the plural of “racist” is “racists”. I know that it almost sounds the same especially to someone who neither reads nor writes, but there you have it - from me to you.

by Anonymousreply 156January 28, 2023 3:55 AM

Is Gwyneth gonna mix it up with Jada? Cause I’d love to see that. If you all bring snacks, I’ll get the cocktails.

by Anonymousreply 157January 28, 2023 3:56 AM

Just a little tip, r156.

If r144 can't read, then you shouldn't be writing a post to them.

I know that sounds confounding to you, but you should be used to being confounded.

There you have it - from me to you.

by Anonymousreply 158January 28, 2023 4:04 AM

[quote] Make no mistake, I like and respect Bassett, she's a great actress - but winning for a COMIC book movie b/c some feel she's overdue is ridiculous.

Angela Bassett IS overdue for the award. The Academy has historically rewarded actors for their body of work. There is a difference between recognizing an exceptional actress for 3 decades of solid work, and an unknown actress sneaking in because friends from her yoga class violated the Academy's lobbying prohibition.

by Anonymousreply 159January 28, 2023 4:21 AM

Touché R158

by Anonymousreply 160January 28, 2023 4:21 AM

R159, you're presuming Angela Bassett has had a career over the past 30 years worthy of such an award. She has not. She's been relegated to television mostly since the early 2000s. And not good television. We all know why Bassett is the frontrunner this year, and it's not because she deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 161January 28, 2023 4:24 AM

She may be overdue r159, but to finally win for a comic book superhero film is downright embarrassing. She's an actress of worth, surely there are other performances to finally reward her for.

by Anonymousreply 162January 28, 2023 4:30 AM

Good grief this is not a political election. The Kari Lake malcontents need to stop.

by Anonymousreply 163January 28, 2023 4:33 AM

The majority of Americans don’t care about about any of these award shows. The only ones who act like it’s winning the Nobel Peace Prize are gay men and black supremacists.

by Anonymousreply 164January 28, 2023 4:33 AM

Bassett was amazing in "Malcolm X".

And Holy Crap, in a couple scenes, Spike Lee films her face in close-up, and, man, is she ever a beauty.

I actually gasped at how beautiful Bassett's face was lit and framed.

It reminded me of seeing Julie Christie's face in close-up in "Heaven Can Wait"; just breathtaking.

by Anonymousreply 165January 28, 2023 4:33 AM

It's good that the Academy is recognizing good performances in sci-fi/fantasy genre films -- like Michelle Yeoh and Angela Bassett this year. Bassett was the heart of 'Wakanda Forever' and she is deserving of the nomination and the win.

by Anonymousreply 166January 28, 2023 4:35 AM

I want that scrappy little upstart Riseborough to win!

Fuck the big studio push!

by Anonymousreply 167January 28, 2023 4:55 AM

I agree about Angela Bassett not getting it this year. She's a phenomenal actress and should've won an Oscar long ago, but giving her an Oscar for a comic book movie would just be embarrassing for an actress of her talent.

And I'm not a snob about comic book movies, I've liked a lot of them and they're very entertaining but I don't think they're Oscar-worthy. Just my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 168January 28, 2023 5:18 AM

Make of it what you will but this year 16 of the 20 acting nominees are first timers. Cate Blanchett, Michelle Williams, Angela Bassett and Judd Hirsch being the exceptions. Maybe Academy voters are beginning to think outside of the box voting looking beyond the well-known, expected or predictable.

by Anonymousreply 169January 28, 2023 5:18 AM

All this over some stupid award show nomination most people don't give a shit about?

by Anonymousreply 170January 28, 2023 5:26 AM

[quote] Did you have to look that up [R17]? Would anyone be able to throw that out if that if you asked them?

You obviously must be a newbie here: Miyoshi Umeki is (deservedly) a legend on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 171January 28, 2023 7:06 AM

The Academy is saying: “we fixed things so that a black actress would always be nominated, and we don’t know how this white bitch got through.”

by Anonymousreply 172January 28, 2023 10:26 AM

I stand with Christina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173January 28, 2023 11:23 AM

[quote]Why couldn't the Academy have kept its collective mouths SHUT until after the ceremony - if they felt the need to say anything at all?

I don't begrudge them wanting to investigate the situation because it was a very short, last-minute campaign, and a couple of people involved may have broken a rule or two, but I absolutely agree that they should NOT have said anything before the awards. It's only going to hurt Riseborough and it doesn't seem like she did anything wrong at all, it was others who may have stepped over a few lines, probably unintentionally.

by Anonymousreply 174January 28, 2023 11:26 AM

Agree R174 and after this will Riseborough even want to attend the ceremony itself? Will she feel as comfortable as Will Smith did after he slapped Chris Rock? Smith was allowed to remain, received his Oscar as well as a standing ovation?

by Anonymousreply 175January 28, 2023 11:41 AM

[quote] We are in scary times. The woke mob will never be pleased.

In the past people were lynched and hosed down in the streets. THOSE were scary times. "The woke mob" is not going to drag you out of your house, cut off your penis, and hang you in the middle of the town square while a crowd which includes children chant racial slurs. Stop with the hysterics mary R28

by Anonymousreply 176January 28, 2023 11:43 AM

I’d give her the Oscar over Cate or Michelle but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 177January 28, 2023 11:49 AM

[quote]She's a phenomenal actress and should've won an Oscar long ago, but giving her an Oscar for a comic book movie would just be embarrassing for an actress of her talent.

If she's not embarrassed by appearing on 9-1-1, she's certainly not going to be embarrassed by winning an Oscar for Wakanda Forever.

by Anonymousreply 178January 28, 2023 11:51 AM

As an aside, I hadn’t heard of this movie until David Muir posted about it on Instagram 😂

I guess David somehow got on board with the plot of those white actresses.

Would be something if she wins.

by Anonymousreply 179January 28, 2023 12:26 PM

While they’re conducting that review . . .

by Anonymousreply 180January 28, 2023 12:50 PM

Frances Fisher’s tweet points out a truth about the process

Since Viola Davis and Deadwyler (awful name) were considered locks, people privately felt they weren’t obliged to vote for them

The Oscars are a popularity contest, and people felt more comfortable voting for respected vet Michelle Williams or studio-favorite ingenue Ana de Armas than the two black actresses. It’s entirely possible that a sixth nomination space may have gone to an old vet like Emma Thompson. These two particular actresses just didn’t work the system well enough. No one knows who Danielle Deadwyler is and people are probably kind of sick of Viola Davis.

Similarly, if Angela Bassett wins supporting it will be due to many people having known her and liked her throughout the year rather than her performance in a Marvel movie.

by Anonymousreply 181January 28, 2023 1:08 PM

Just to echo what's been said. I watched "Knives Out" for the first time last week and was amazed that inert, dull performance by Ana De Armas was so lauded in what was a very disappointing movie overall, given it's hype.

I have only seen clips of her as Marilyn but found her very unconvincing. Why aren't the Academy investigating all the lobbying that got a shoddy performance nominated, over a grassroots campaign to ensure a brilliant performance was not overlooked?!

More respect to the likes of Fonda, Aniston, Cox, Ricci, Winslet, Paltrow etc who've spoken out for Riseborough

by Anonymousreply 182January 28, 2023 1:10 PM

[quote]More respect to the likes of Fonda, Aniston, Cox, Ricci, Winslet, Paltrow etc who've spoken out for Riseborough

Jennifer Aniston is right about everything, as usual.

by Anonymousreply 183January 28, 2023 1:32 PM

Speaking of biases

Danielle Deadwyler has the worst fucking last name ever, the Oscars are a marketing event, people want to vote for marketable people. Danielle Deadwyler will never be marketable. If her name had been Danielle Wyler or Danielle Desmond or something, she probably would have been nominated.

by Anonymousreply 184January 28, 2023 1:34 PM

R184, I agree.

by Anonymousreply 185January 28, 2023 1:47 PM

Saw the film after the nominations and she totally deserved to be in the lead actress group. Bravo to the actors branch for not going with default nominees like Viola Davis and Olivia Colman. The whole thing is fucking ridiculous. Unless she bribed voters with money or sexual favors, everyone should stfu. An online, email, word of mouth and phone call campaign? Not any worse than studio sponsored screenings and luncheons that have been going on for decades, not to mention certain tactics that would even make the Hollywood Foreign Press blush. Her IMDb is fairly robust. Obviously she won’t win, but her name recognition now will lead to even more work for this incredible actress.

by Anonymousreply 186January 28, 2023 1:48 PM

Wasn’t there an uproar when Linda Fiorentino was not Oscar nominated in 1994 for “The Last Seduction” because the movie had aired on HBO?

by Anonymousreply 187January 28, 2023 1:54 PM

Yes but people got over that because Linda Florentino turned out to be a huge cunt

by Anonymousreply 188January 28, 2023 1:56 PM

Speaking of huge cunts . . .

by Anonymousreply 189January 28, 2023 1:58 PM

Is there a chance this controversy plus the fact many more voters may now watch Roseborough's movie adds to her potential to win?

by Anonymousreply 190January 28, 2023 2:05 PM

Should Riseborough actually win the Oscar, will Viola Davis and Deadwyler rush the stage with other African AMerican actresses, and each take a turn slapping her across the face (ala Will Smith style) and yell out 'Keep away from my fuckin' nomination next time!' ? Will and Jada will be proud to see this in front of them.

by Anonymousreply 191January 28, 2023 2:09 PM

[quote]She didn't campaign with billboards but used "aggressive" tactics, like getting A-list endorsements, include Cate Blanchette, another nominee?

The movie is a tiny independent. Riseborough didn't campaign, Actress Mary McCormack, the director's wife did just as if a studio had. She played by the rules and won.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192January 28, 2023 2:17 PM

R190 No. She’s up against huge competition. Even if she gets a big voter push the next six weeks leading up the Oscars , it’s not going to be enough to challenge Blanchett and Yeoh.

by Anonymousreply 193January 28, 2023 2:23 PM

Sometimes surprise nominations occur. They just do. Let it go and move on.

by Anonymousreply 194January 28, 2023 2:50 PM

NO!

by Anonymousreply 195January 28, 2023 2:54 PM

I've just watched To Leslie and it was very good. The scene at the end when she reconciles with her son in her diner made me cry.

I thought I thought Andrea Risedale was excellent. Definitely worthy of an Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 196January 28, 2023 2:54 PM

Aren't shocking wins and nominations part of what make award shows fun? It gets mighty boring when the people who are "supposed to" win always do.

by Anonymousreply 197January 28, 2023 2:56 PM

#OscarsSoChintzy

by Anonymousreply 198January 28, 2023 3:00 PM

Slightly OT: I can't believe how awful the ratings have been for the Oscars the past several years. It's like most people don't give a shit anymore.

by Anonymousreply 199January 28, 2023 3:02 PM

This has nothing to do with race.

by Anonymousreply 200January 28, 2023 3:02 PM

[quote]The movie is a tiny independent. Riseborough didn't campaign, Actress Mary McCormack, the director's wife did just as if a studio had. She played by the rules and won.

Was Howard Stern involved in promoting this somehow? He’s a close friend of Mary McCormack since she starred in his movie Private Parts in the ‘90s. He has a huge audience and a lot of industry connections.

by Anonymousreply 201January 28, 2023 3:16 PM

R191. Will won't be attending the ceremony for the next several years. Jada is a cunt so she might show up just to piss people off.

by Anonymousreply 202January 28, 2023 3:19 PM

[quote] This has nothing to do with race.

This has everything to do with race. If two white actresses had been unexpectedly snubbed by the voters, neither the media nor the Academy would give the tiniest shit about it.

by Anonymousreply 203January 28, 2023 3:21 PM

Undignified to see people desperate for more accolades and awards.

by Anonymousreply 204January 28, 2023 3:24 PM

[Quote] Will won't be attending the ceremony for the next several years. Jada is a cunt so she might show up just to piss people off.

Jada's not a nominee and not invited. The only way she'll be able to attend is as a guest of a nominee.

by Anonymousreply 205January 28, 2023 3:24 PM

R205. She'll find a way. Are they hiring seat fillers?

by Anonymousreply 206January 28, 2023 3:26 PM

R203 unfortunately true. Short of turning the Academy into some affirmative action organization (one could argue it already is), this shit will just keep coming up going forward when there are not enough black nominees. No one is praising all the multiple Asian acting nominees that I believe is a first with the most being nominated in one year, it’s all about not enough black, forgetting Asians are people of color too.

by Anonymousreply 207January 28, 2023 3:29 PM

[quote]No one is praising all the multiple Asian acting nominees that I believe is a first with the most being nominated in one year, it’s all about not enough black, forgetting Asians are people of color too.

Asians don’t have the same victimhood and entitlement mentalities that blacks do.

by Anonymousreply 208January 28, 2023 3:31 PM

Her best bet is to slap a wig on and go incognito.

by Anonymousreply 209January 28, 2023 3:31 PM

We're living in a black supremacist country. Black privilege is real.

by Anonymousreply 210January 28, 2023 3:32 PM

Under Jada’s rules, each year someone must be slapped.

by Anonymousreply 211January 28, 2023 3:41 PM

Don't people use shady tactics to get nominations all the time anyway? This thing is all politics.

by Anonymousreply 212January 28, 2023 3:46 PM

If Deadwyler had gotten in and Williams had been left out because of Riesborough for example, this investigation would not be happening.

by Anonymousreply 213January 28, 2023 3:48 PM

Didn't she star in that Madonna stinker WE? Or W?

by Anonymousreply 214January 28, 2023 3:50 PM

They shouldn't. They're not going to pull the nomination, so it just looks stupid. If there was some sort of illicit campaign for Riseborough or favors/money traded, who cares. Like I said, they're not going to pull the nomination because it's unprecedented and would look even worse. I would laugh if after review they said, "this gave us an opportunity to review ALL the nominations" and then pulled de Armas' nom. And on top of that didn't nominate anyone else like Deadwyler.

by Anonymousreply 215January 28, 2023 3:50 PM

#OscarsSoOver

by Anonymousreply 216January 28, 2023 3:58 PM

Pull De Armas. Marilyn didn't have a Cuban accent.

by Anonymousreply 217January 28, 2023 4:00 PM

Williams campaigned for lead instead of supporting, which is ridiculous, given Blanchett and Yeoh are WAY ahead of her. If the voters would’ve put Williams in supporting, she would have a reasonable chance at taking down Bassett. It’s all about winning it Michelle, so you better rethink your future strategy.

Voters really didn’t warm to Davis and Deadwyler, while nominating De Armas for the excrement that is Blonde. THIS was the slot that was most vulnerable, not Andreas great work for To Leslie. Speaks volumes about Davis and her entitlement, and everyone just assuming Deadwyler would get in. Never assume anything because it makes an ass out of you.

by Anonymousreply 218January 28, 2023 4:03 PM

The Academy just needs to hold a slot in each actress category for a black woman and be done with it. Everyone else can fight for the other 4 slots.

by Anonymousreply 219January 28, 2023 4:05 PM

Has it been confirmed this is about Black women?

by Anonymousreply 220January 28, 2023 4:10 PM

Viola is always complaining that she should have the same career as Meryl. Well, Meryl’s not nominated this year and neither are you Viola. And Meryl’s not going to win another Oscar in her lifetime and neither will you Viola. Looks like you got your wish.

by Anonymousreply 221January 28, 2023 4:13 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 222January 28, 2023 4:14 PM

R220, Deadwyler and Davis made precursors and Deadwyler was considered basically a lock and had a lot of press behind her. It can safely be assumed she was 6th. Also, Twitter commentary immediately made it about race, so don't put this on anyone else but Black Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 223January 28, 2023 4:15 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 224January 28, 2023 4:17 PM

I'll work on a statement in study hall and then we can meet in the library during sixth period to coordinate our strategy.

by Anonymousreply 225January 28, 2023 4:18 PM

For Black women, the sisterhood remains firmly within their own race. But Ms Whitey Liberal will do everything she can to insist on the merits of her Black sistah.

by Anonymousreply 226January 28, 2023 4:20 PM

Yeah, I think Riesborough syphons off Cate voters and Yeoh wins.

by Anonymousreply 227January 28, 2023 4:20 PM

[quote]In the past people were lynched and hosed down in the streets.

I would fucking love to see people hosed down on the red carpet!

by Anonymousreply 228January 28, 2023 4:21 PM

They’re not giving Blanchett a third. Not going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 229January 28, 2023 4:21 PM

Aniston, Cox, Ricci, and Paltrow would vouch for a fellow anorexic white chick like Riseborough, naturally. Having said that, nothing Riseborough did was wrong or shady.

People acting like an acting award is something serious are nuts. No one outside Hollywood and a few select gays give a shit about the Oscars anymore.

by Anonymousreply 230January 28, 2023 4:23 PM

I bet black actresses in Viola Davis’ age cohort can’t stand her. Angela Bassett would probably say nice things, but Angela is the type who will seek out and take any job (9-1-1, hello), so she probably doesn’t feel like she is losing anything to Viola. I don’t know, Viola just seems like she wants EVERY ROLE and every accolade to herself. And not only does she not care if that impacts other working black actresses, she would probably celebrate the fact that it does as some sort of ego exercise.

by Anonymousreply 231January 28, 2023 4:24 PM

"a few select gays give a shit about the Oscars anymore"

And the last film they saw in the cinema was 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?'

by Anonymousreply 232January 28, 2023 4:26 PM

r230 Jennifer Aniston is a member of the Academy? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 233January 28, 2023 4:28 PM

Aniston was invited to join in 2007.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234January 28, 2023 4:30 PM

Not many people really care, but a shit ton of people performatively or clout-chasing care. From people MAGAs complaining it's too woke, even though they don't watch, to Black twitter, to DLers who insist "none of it matters" but then collectively lose their shit during awards season.

by Anonymousreply 235January 28, 2023 4:30 PM

You can talk shit about Jennifer Aniston, but the fact is EVERYBODY loves her.

by Anonymousreply 236January 28, 2023 4:30 PM

[quote]Her best bet is to slap a wig on and go incognito.

Better yet, her best bet is to slap a wig on and go as Michelle Yeoh.

by Anonymousreply 237January 28, 2023 4:31 PM

R233 uh no. Where did I say she was? I was referring to all the public support for this skinny drab lady by fellow skinny drab (white) ladies.

by Anonymousreply 238January 28, 2023 4:32 PM

Jen has the best weed.

by Anonymousreply 239January 28, 2023 4:33 PM

R236, Not everybody.

by Anonymousreply 240January 28, 2023 4:34 PM

Brad ^^^

by Anonymousreply 241January 28, 2023 4:34 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 242January 28, 2023 4:35 PM

[quote] Slightly OT: I can't believe how awful the ratings have been for the Oscars the past several years. It's like most people don't give a shit anymore.

They don’t. Welcome to the real world.

by Anonymousreply 243January 28, 2023 4:36 PM

I and many others on DL didn't like Jennifer on Friends or the show in general.

This influx of British frauen to DL is strange and unwanted. Your pedestrian tastes are noted.

by Anonymousreply 244January 28, 2023 4:38 PM

I disagree about Jennifer Aniston only having one character. She was fantastic in The Good Girl and We're The Miller's.

by Anonymousreply 245January 28, 2023 4:42 PM

Her friends lobbied for her—and it worked. Good for them…and her! It’s not like they rigged voting.

I hope there’s more of this—stars using their power to elevate underfunded art.

by Anonymousreply 246January 28, 2023 4:45 PM

"stars using their power to elevate underfunded art."

Yes, it's all so noble!

by Anonymousreply 247January 28, 2023 4:46 PM

r246 How exactly did it elevate underfunded art? You'll note these people weren't encouraging anyone else to watch the movie, just their friends so one of their own could be nominated and the husband of the woman behind it gets a career boost.

by Anonymousreply 248January 28, 2023 4:47 PM

R203, R207=Insecure race baiters paranoid about the changing demographics. If the world doesn't revolve around white people then the world must stop.

by Anonymousreply 249January 28, 2023 4:48 PM

^Same to R208 go fuck yourself race baiter. You guys may want to jump off a bridge now because in a couple of short decades whites will be the minority in this country.

by Anonymousreply 250January 28, 2023 4:51 PM

Andrea on Kimmel, wearing a hoodie, OMG she's so relatable!

And the Golden Girls gets a random mention at the beginning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251January 28, 2023 4:51 PM

Blacks hate when Asians gain ground and do well.

by Anonymousreply 252January 28, 2023 5:08 PM

Because Asians don't have the same persecution complex. They just get on with it.

by Anonymousreply 253January 28, 2023 5:10 PM

[quote]I hope there’s more of this—stars using their power to elevate underfunded art.

The problem is that blacks will complain they don’t have the same “power” as everyone else. Always the victims.

by Anonymousreply 254January 28, 2023 5:21 PM

R254 There's no worse victim than a small minded asshole such as yourself who can't think outside the box. Stop generalizing all " blacks". Whites don't realize this while complaining about everything "woke". Go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 255January 28, 2023 5:25 PM

I forgot she was a Geordie! R251

Thanks for the reminder

by Anonymousreply 256January 28, 2023 5:49 PM

If she does win the Oscar, Madge will re-release that turkey W.E with the tagline "featuring Academy Award Winner Andrea Riseborough".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257January 28, 2023 5:51 PM

[quote]Stop generalizing all " blacks". Whites don't realize this while complaining about everything "woke".

But it's okay to generalise "whites" eh?

by Anonymousreply 258January 28, 2023 5:54 PM

Only if they started it first asshole R258

by Anonymousreply 259January 28, 2023 6:04 PM

259 posts and Pia Zadora hasn’t been mentioned? Shame on you DL.

by Anonymousreply 260January 28, 2023 6:13 PM

From the article:

"You wouldn’t have seen any for “To Leslie,” the Momentum Pictures drama that garnered Roseborough (sic) a nomination over the likes of Viola Davis (“The Woman King”) and Danielle Deadwyler (“Till”)."

This does reek of Jada, Ava and Jacqueline Stewart. Oscar too White!

by Anonymousreply 261January 28, 2023 6:14 PM

How was her performance in W.E.?

by Anonymousreply 262January 28, 2023 6:18 PM

^^^^ No one saw it, so she could have been Streep or Blanchett level acting for all the difference it would have made.

by Anonymousreply 263January 28, 2023 6:19 PM

R20 - Excellent post...of course, this will not change those whose agenda is to blame this on Jada, Viola, Anna and others. Personally, I don't think Viola Davis deserved a nomination, but Danielle Deadwyler gave a magnificent performance in TILL and many critics predicted that she would make the cut. A week-long campaign for Andrea Risborough appeared just a few weeks before the nominations were announced by some very popular actors who campaigned on her behalf. Very suspect.

by Anonymousreply 264January 28, 2023 6:19 PM

[quote] The movie made $27,000. Quite literally almost no one saw it, and that most likely includes her friends who put together an extremely aggressive and loud campaign for her.

Every Academy member may have seen it for free on their screeners. It doesn't matter that a movie wasn't a box office success for all voting members to have seen it.

by Anonymousreply 265January 28, 2023 6:21 PM

I trust Jennifer Aniston. And she says this performance and nomination is legit. THE END.

by Anonymousreply 266January 28, 2023 6:22 PM

The basic gist here is Riseborough has more friends (powerful or otherwise) than Deadwyler and Davis.

by Anonymousreply 267January 28, 2023 6:23 PM

R264 But Till is shit.

by Anonymousreply 268January 28, 2023 6:23 PM

R268, Which makes it Oscar worthy.

by Anonymousreply 269January 28, 2023 6:26 PM

[Quote]Riseborough has more friends (powerful or otherwise) than Deadwyler

Danielle, please change the spelling to Detwyler.

by Anonymousreply 270January 28, 2023 6:29 PM

[quote]A week-long campaign for Andrea Risborough appeared just a few weeks before the nominations were announced by some very popular actors who campaigned on her behalf. Very suspect.

So what exactly do you think happened? That Jennifer Aniston intercepted ballots in the mail and replaced ones that had votes for Deadwyler?

by Anonymousreply 271January 28, 2023 6:29 PM

I love that this thread about some unknown Oscar nominee turned into a discussion about Jennifer Aniston. Girl has INCREDIBLE PR.

by Anonymousreply 272January 28, 2023 6:41 PM

Has Baldy issued a statement?

by Anonymousreply 273January 28, 2023 6:44 PM

I just watched the movie 'TO LESLIE' because of this brouhaha since the nominations (until then I never even heard of this movie). In all honesty, after seeing this film, I'd be shocked if she was not nominated for her role. Furthermore, I'll be shocked if she does not win the Oscar for this performance.

Riseborough gave one of the most outstanding performances by an actress I haven't seen in a long time. She has completely submerged herself into the character 'Leslie', she' not an actress playing her. Her performance is nothing less than incredible - one you will remember for some time to come.

Good for her that she scored this nomination the old-fashioned way by word of mouth (today's technology / version of it :social media). Good for her that she didn't depend on over-priced luncheons, million dollar billboards and press junkets trying to woo voters.

Let's face it - if she was the same person, in the same film, with the same box office, giving the same performance, and campaigning the same way in BLACK skin, there'd be no question about her nomination.

by Anonymousreply 274January 28, 2023 6:48 PM

[quote]Has Baldy issued a statement?

“Dis white bitch bout to get slapped upside her face”

by Anonymousreply 275January 28, 2023 6:49 PM

Who dat ho?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276January 28, 2023 6:50 PM

Agree 100% r274.

by Anonymousreply 277January 28, 2023 7:05 PM

I can't wait for Whoopi to ignore this controversy on 'The View'. Should it be mentioned by accident, she will say she can't talk about it because she sits on the governor's board.

by Anonymousreply 278January 28, 2023 7:10 PM

I plan to watch this movie.

by Anonymousreply 279January 28, 2023 7:28 PM

Another movie about an alcoholic/drug addict and their inner and outer torment? I say the same about superhero movies....

PASS.

by Anonymousreply 280January 28, 2023 7:31 PM

Didn’t Jessica Lange (finally) win an Oscar for a movie nobody saw?

by Anonymousreply 281January 28, 2023 8:17 PM

R281 Blue Skies.

by Anonymousreply 282January 28, 2023 8:19 PM

[quote]“Seems hilarious that the ‘surprise nomination’ (meaning tons of money wasn’t spent to position this actress) of a legitimately brilliant performance is being met with an investigation,” Ricci wrote. “So it’s only the films and actors that can afford the campaigns that deserve recognition? Feels elitist and exclusive and frankly very backward to me.”

Christina Ricci has it absolutely right.

by Anonymousreply 283January 28, 2023 8:26 PM

The angry white queens in here claiming " they don't care" but throwing every outdated 20th century Black stereotypes around are nothing short of hilarious(not to mention sad and pathetic. This bitch won't win anyway but there needs to be studies on the paranoia and downright desperate mind of white people when other races get recognized. The truth is nobody cares about race more than white people, history has proven it but they swear on the cross that they are the ones suffering when they bring it on themselves.

by Anonymousreply 284January 28, 2023 8:29 PM

Cate Blanchett was the most vocal in her lobbying.

by Anonymousreply 285January 28, 2023 8:31 PM

[quote]The truth is nobody cares about race more than white people, history has proven it but they swear on the cross that they are the ones suffering when they bring it on themselves.

So how is it that this white woman got nominated and nobody even cared, UNTIL some entitled black women started complaining and now suddenly there’s an “investigation”???

We can all see who’s “suffering” with their victim mentality.

by Anonymousreply 286January 28, 2023 8:45 PM

What entitled black woman started complaining? R286

by Anonymousreply 287January 28, 2023 8:47 PM

I think Cate has blown her chances to win. And you have to be beloved to win three. Cate is respected but definitely not beloved. Too cerebral and aloof.

by Anonymousreply 288January 28, 2023 8:52 PM

Yes Blue Sky was one of the weirdest wins ever

Arguably a weak year for lead women

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289January 28, 2023 8:54 PM

He doesn't have an answer R287 because R286 is paranoid racist queen who needs to make this Black peoples fault when the academy is still a mostly white affair. The victim mentality is only coming from them. White fragility at its finest.(and most pathetic)

by Anonymousreply 290January 28, 2023 8:56 PM

If William Inge was watered down Tennessee Williams, Blue Sky was watered down William Inge.

by Anonymousreply 291January 28, 2023 8:57 PM

Also as far as “this nomination would have never happened for a film no one saw without underhanded campaigning” look at 1995 and Il Postino

Long story short: these campaigns have always existed and will never go away

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292January 28, 2023 8:59 PM

R290 Fuck off, Jada.

by Anonymousreply 293January 28, 2023 9:00 PM

Seriously, can R286 tell me what black woman complained? I don't see that anywhere in any article .

by Anonymousreply 294January 28, 2023 9:01 PM

Sarandon was the favorite to win so Lange taking the award for Blue Sky was an upset. I would have given it to Winona for Little Women. There has never been a more perfect Jo March.

by Anonymousreply 295January 28, 2023 9:02 PM

R288 one can say the same thing about McDormand. Aloof and thinks the Oscars and all award shows are bullshit. Blanchett and Yeoh are in a tight race, but I wouldn’t count Blanchett it out yet. Yeoh is not respected the same way Blanchett is and EEAAO is really hard to get through. Plus parts of it are stupid beyond belief which will turn off a lot of members. If Blanchett wins it’ll be based on her performance and how she is seen in the industry. If Yeoh wins, it’ll be more the first Asian winning lead actress and a career award.

by Anonymousreply 296January 28, 2023 9:04 PM

I just watched this film. It's a TOUGH film to watch. Its actually very good and Riseborough is STUPENDOUS. It's a pretty brutal and taxing role, and she is in every frame. Its pretty amazing. And she's every bit as good as Blanchett, who I also loved)

So fuck all this shit.

I do wish Deadwyler (sp?) would have been nominated over that horrific Marilyn Monroe chick.

by Anonymousreply 297January 28, 2023 9:05 PM

Only a load of fags would care about which actress gets a nom and a win.

Any discussion on the male leads?

Oscar drama is made for the gays

by Anonymousreply 298January 28, 2023 9:06 PM

R295 Sarandon was never the favorite. It was always between Jodie Foster and Lange. Lange won the globe and LA lead actress film critics award and Jodie won the first SAG.

by Anonymousreply 299January 28, 2023 9:06 PM

The only investigation should be into how and why they are having an investigation. There is literally nothing to suggest anything untoward or illicit has happened.

by Anonymousreply 300January 28, 2023 9:11 PM

Most posters on the DL have no clue about how the Academy works but they all have an opinion that "must" be voiced even if they haven't seen the movie or know who Andrea Riseborough is. Shut the fuck up, go suck some dick which is something you at least know something about, then go see the movie, and then opine.

by Anonymousreply 301January 28, 2023 9:14 PM

Interestingly Tom & Viv got two acting nominations despite poor reviews

Miramax was really something else

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302January 28, 2023 9:17 PM

R302 plus Miranda was on a roll during this time frame which helped. Sally Field was actually glad she was passed over for Forrest Gump in favor of Rosemary Harris in Tom and Viv, basically saying her role wasn’t that big of deal, compared to actresses like Harris, who sometimes get shut out of the Oscars in favor of better known women.

by Anonymousreply 303January 28, 2023 9:23 PM

R293 is that the best you got ghetto white queen? You are so pathetic 🤣🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 304January 28, 2023 9:24 PM

All the Supporting Actress 94 noms except Helen Mirren were Miramax

Amazing

by Anonymousreply 305January 28, 2023 9:27 PM

1994 was a HORRIBLE year for actresses. That being said, there were much better performances that got left out in favor of rancid bullshit like Sarandon, Lange and Foster. Fiorentino should have won, but was deemed ineligible. However Jennifer Jason Leigh should have been in there for Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle and (though it would never happen) Kathleen Turner should have been in there for Serial Mom.

by Anonymousreply 306January 28, 2023 9:39 PM

Serial Mom is not an acting picture, darling.

by Anonymousreply 307January 28, 2023 9:41 PM

Oscar is a serial sourpuss.

by Anonymousreply 308January 28, 2023 9:44 PM

Gone are the days of Jennifer Lawrence swallowing Weinstein loads for a win.

Now it's all 'sisters are doin' it for themselves'.....

by Anonymousreply 309January 28, 2023 9:46 PM

In 1994 Kathy Bates should've won for Dolores Claiborne but she wasn't even nominated.

by Anonymousreply 310January 28, 2023 9:54 PM

Young Woke black Hollywood ? I don't remember Angela Basset throwing a fit when she was passed over numerous times for deserving noms.

by Anonymousreply 311January 28, 2023 9:56 PM

How many black best actress winners has there been in the history of the academy? Anyone ?

by Anonymousreply 312January 28, 2023 9:57 PM

R283 Cristina Ricci and her white actress friends who campaigned for and supported Ms Riseborough are spinning this now like they're the outsiders ?

by Anonymousreply 313January 28, 2023 10:00 PM

I believe there has been ONE, Fucking ONE Black best actress winner in the NINETY FIVE YEAR history of the Academy

by Anonymousreply 314January 28, 2023 10:02 PM

[quote]How many black best actress winners has there been in the history of the academy? Anyone ?

Halle Berry

by Anonymousreply 315January 28, 2023 10:03 PM

r287/r294 Not who you were asking, but here you go

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316January 28, 2023 10:05 PM

Since Cate Blanchett was the most vocal campaigning for this woman, hopefully Andrea wins BA

by Anonymousreply 317January 28, 2023 10:08 PM

r317- She deserves it. It is actually a great film and Jesus I bawled at the end. Andrea really IS that good in it.

by Anonymousreply 318January 28, 2023 10:15 PM

R316 Is that all? From the bitter posts on this thread I thought ALL of Black Hollywood was complaining. How laughable to think this one or a few Black actresses can force the academy to do any investigation. Nothing more than an excuse to sprew your toxic insecure racial bullshit. And complain about the imaginary scary "woke mob"🤣🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 319January 28, 2023 10:20 PM

[quote] In 1994 Kathy Bates should've won for Dolores Claiborne but she wasn't even nominated.

Probably because it came out in 1995.

by Anonymousreply 320January 28, 2023 10:23 PM

Cate Blanchett has put her 3rd Oscar chances in jeopardy

by Anonymousreply 321January 28, 2023 10:25 PM

Oh how funny this would be if Ana de Armpits won

by Anonymousreply 322January 28, 2023 10:25 PM

R317, Cate was not the most vocal on this. Not even close.

Cate will win for her performance. Andrea will be a footnote for this year.

by Anonymousreply 323January 28, 2023 10:28 PM

"I just need 11,000 votes.....that's all.....can you help me out? It won't go well for you if you don't. Come on just 11,000...."

by Anonymousreply 324January 28, 2023 10:28 PM

R226 who do you speak of?

by Anonymousreply 325January 28, 2023 10:32 PM

'Entitled Black women..'

Names, please.

by Anonymousreply 326January 28, 2023 10:32 PM

R326, they mean any black woman who dares have an opinion

by Anonymousreply 327January 28, 2023 10:36 PM

Just learnt Frances McDormand has won 3 best actress Academy Awards, why isn't she celebrated more? I only hear about M and Blanchett , why no love for Francis?

by Anonymousreply 328January 28, 2023 10:44 PM

Has anyone in this fucking thread SEEN THE FUCKING FILM??? (To Leslie)

She is amazing in it- Should probably win the fucking thing.

by Anonymousreply 329January 28, 2023 11:05 PM

R328 Frans been shown a lot of love. Four Oscars (one producing), two Emmys and one Tony. Plus she’s up for another Oscar this year for co producing Women Talking. I think she’s had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 330January 28, 2023 11:10 PM

Sufficient will only come when I have at least one Grammy.

by Anonymousreply 331January 28, 2023 11:13 PM

The one who should be questioned is that dogshit performance by Ana de Armas. She played Marilyn with a Cuban accent. What a joke.

by Anonymousreply 332January 28, 2023 11:20 PM

R332 sums it up perfectly.

Andrea's performance is actually the best in the entire category.

Cate comes close, but Andrea's is pure as fuck- as a very brave one.

I am feeling really bad for Andrea (and in a weird way- her character)

Its just a beautiful film and performance and I now see why the actors supported her so much-

by Anonymousreply 333January 28, 2023 11:25 PM

I watched Till, Tar and To Leslie, l- all three women were great. I watched Marilyn and That Yeoh movie, I fell asleep,zzzz, Michelle I didn't even bother, meh ZZZ x2. Also watched woman King, didn't finish, it was a pile of shit

by Anonymousreply 334January 28, 2023 11:31 PM

R334- Pretty much the same.

I truly enjoyed the films Tar and To Leslie- and adored the performances.

Not feeling anything else but Aftersun- which I truly truly LOVED.

To Leslie

Tar

Aftersun..

Those are my faves.

Looking forward to Empire of Light and Triangle of Sadness though...

by Anonymousreply 335January 28, 2023 11:35 PM

Sorry r320 you're right lol! Then Kathy Bates should've won for Dolores Claiborne in 1995.

by Anonymousreply 336January 28, 2023 11:39 PM

What r329 said. See this fucking film! Riseborough is amazing, you'll agree that she should win Best Actress. It's on Youtube, Apple, Google and Vudu.

I haven't been this devastated by a performance in quite awhile. Alison Janney is also in it and she's great, as she always is.

by Anonymousreply 337January 28, 2023 11:42 PM

i really hope everyone in this thread sees To Leslie- I am curious what you will all say/think.

by Anonymousreply 338January 28, 2023 11:42 PM

R337- THANK YOU BUDDY..

DAMN, ITS A SHAME TO SEE HOW BAD THIS IS GOING DOWN FOR A FILM AND PERFORMANCE THAT IS BETTER THAN 85% OF THE NOMINEES.

I saw it 2 hours ago and bawled 3 times during the damn thing.

Riseborough was a revelation to me- it was insane.

And that slow plan close up in the bar? Its a stunner.

No joke, I would have given Maron a Supporting Actor Nod- And I HATE him. He was that lovely.

R337- At the end when the arrivals happened (Ice Cream) I had to walk away and cry.

I was moved like a little girl and was actually floored by what this film made me feel.

by Anonymousreply 339January 28, 2023 11:48 PM

Damn you bitches are really convincing me to rent To Leslie!!

by Anonymousreply 340January 28, 2023 11:53 PM

I have kind of a weird question about To Leslie - is smoking really still allowed in bars in Texas, or was the smoking just for dramatic effect? I was a bit surprised by that, smoking in bars in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 341January 28, 2023 11:53 PM

r339 I cried too. I saw To Leslie a couple days ago and I'm still thinking about it. Like I said above, I was totally devastated by Andrea Riesborough's performance. It was so raw and real. And if you've ever known an alcoholic, scarily accurate.

by Anonymousreply 342January 28, 2023 11:55 PM

R340- Please see it. Once you do, you will understand.

Stick with it- You have to give it an hour (its NOT easy) but its worth it.

I am actually sad that Maron did not get an nomination as well- and as I said above- I cannot stand him..

Honestly, I can not even hate him now.

R342, my dad died when I was very young from alcoholism, and I think that was a big part of it. The last 10 minutes was just - amazing, And maybe that was the most "sell out" part, but it really worked. And Leslie deserved it.

The gentleman who played the son was WONDERFUL as well..

I am a little floored by how much this film devastated me and also made me have some hope.

by Anonymousreply 343January 29, 2023 12:04 AM

You bitches have convinced me to watch To Leslie. I am settling in to watch it right now....

by Anonymousreply 344January 29, 2023 12:17 AM

R344- I did not even know about this film until the last 72 hours. I truly see why these actors pulled for this chick.

This racism shit is bullshit in this case. But FUCK year, Deadwyler was robbed- BY ANNA D!!!!!!!! Not by Andrea.

Racism 100% exists in a myriad ways, and definitely in Hollywood- but Andrea's film is why Oscars exist.

I now wish the film and Maron would have been nominated.

Watch it R344- Even if you hate it, its a must see, and I predict in 50 years, will be a classic.

by Anonymousreply 345January 29, 2023 12:34 AM

R345, Andrea is that you gurl?

by Anonymousreply 346January 29, 2023 12:42 AM

Oh Alison Janey is in this film, love her.

by Anonymousreply 347January 29, 2023 12:45 AM

Is Alison Janey American Indian?

by Anonymousreply 348January 29, 2023 12:45 AM

R346- No. But For the first time in my life I Instant Messaged a celebrity-And it was Andrea, on her Instagram.

Just wanted to send some love. She must feel horrible, and its really fucked up.

See. The . fIlm.

by Anonymousreply 349January 29, 2023 12:49 AM

Jesus, if I knew blacks were going to complain so much, I would have picked my own fucking cotton.

by Anonymousreply 350January 29, 2023 12:51 AM

T349- Mary!!

by Anonymousreply 351January 29, 2023 12:52 AM

R1 do you know something we don't? Reading through this thread really demonstrates how many Klan grannies are posting here on DL

by Anonymousreply 352January 29, 2023 12:53 AM

You all are disgusting

by Anonymousreply 353January 29, 2023 12:55 AM

R349 your love for this movie is persuasive. I’ll watch it because of your enthusiasm.

by Anonymousreply 354January 29, 2023 1:17 AM

What R354 said

by Anonymousreply 355January 29, 2023 1:29 AM

TO LESLIE for Andrea

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356January 29, 2023 1:31 AM

R354- It may be from having a parent die so young from alcoholism.. I don't know, But his film had me in tears many times..

Andrea deserved this nomination, and her performance actually should win- by far. It was a masterpiece in many ways- and her performance was a pure inhabitance of a soul. That's my last Mary moment tonight. I don't know how some British actress can FEEL this into existence, but she did. Its really that good.

Cate was actually right!

by Anonymousreply 357January 29, 2023 1:33 AM

OMG! Jennifer Jason Leigh was truly dreadful in Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle!

by Anonymousreply 358January 29, 2023 1:38 AM

To sum this up.

To Leslie will be considered a masterwork in 50 years.

Cate will win, and in 1/2 a decade people will be saying that Andrea actually deserved it. A film utterly lost in some fight that it had nothing to do with...and actually signified the very fight that people are saying it fought against?

These elitist and overpaid actresses were RIGHT for once. This film and performance were truly worthy of consideration...

Such a fucked up world we live in.

De'Armas should be the one being fucked with, not Andrea.

by Anonymousreply 359January 29, 2023 1:39 AM

Just watched the To Leslie and this Andrea chick is great in the movie. Why are they investigating her though? What did she do?

by Anonymousreply 360January 29, 2023 1:59 AM

R360- I think it was Frances Fisher or some shit. Still fingering herself to Clint Eastwood, and went and broke some rule.

by Anonymousreply 361January 29, 2023 2:04 AM

R359, R357. Sounds like the movie got you hyped gurl

by Anonymousreply 362January 29, 2023 2:04 AM

R362- I feel like Frances Fisher-

See it. Please (Its that good)

These spoiled actresses were right for once.

by Anonymousreply 363January 29, 2023 2:08 AM

I read somewhere that the Academy may rescind Andrea's 0scar nom. Smh.

by Anonymousreply 364January 29, 2023 2:10 AM

By the way- if it were up to me the nominees would be

Danielle Deadwyler- Till

Cate Blanchett- Tar

Andrea Riseborough- To Leslie

Mia Goth- Pearl

Michelle Williams- The Fablemans

And I have told you fuckers to see To Leslie, and I bawled my eyes out- and I would still be torn between Mia and Andrea... I would literally die if in my dream world, they tied... Such brave, absolutely for the ages performances that will be talked about in 50 years.... The others, even Cate- nope.

by Anonymousreply 365January 29, 2023 2:12 AM

To those of you unfamiliar with Riseborough and just falling in love with her 'To Leslie' performance I recommend her films 'Here Before' and 'Nancy' as well - they both work on the same character-based register as this movie, and she's excellent in both.

I'd also recommend 'Possessor' and 'Please Baby Please' too but they're much weirder movies - she's not afraid to do challenging and bizarre work, to really take risks. Her episode of 'Black Mirror' is also the best one, if you ask me, and deeply disturbing.

She's also incredibly funny in 'The Death of Stalin' and really warm and lovely as Billie Jean King's hairdresser girlfriend in that 'Battle of the Sexes' movie.

I have never walked away from anything she's been in and not been wowed by her, honestly. One of the greats working today.

by Anonymousreply 366January 29, 2023 2:14 AM

I suspect the Till crew is behind this ' investigation. If that is the case very shitty OTH there has been ony one black best actress Oscar winner which is even more shitty

by Anonymousreply 367January 29, 2023 2:15 AM

[quote]The truth is nobody cares about race more than white people,

Let me introduce you to half black / half Lathina VIEW host Sunny Hostin...

by Anonymousreply 368January 29, 2023 2:15 AM

T365 Cate outperformed Andrea by a mile, and she deserves the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 369January 29, 2023 2:18 AM

I love both Cate and Andrea's performances but I think they utilize opposing aspects of performance and I can understand them appealing to different people who appreciate each end of the spectrum - Cate is giving a big movie star performance, way larger than life. Not that the character doesn't ring true, but it's not the same as what Riseborough's doing at all, which is very minute, intimate.

by Anonymousreply 370January 29, 2023 2:30 AM

Picking cotton was in the past R350. In the glorious future you will be extinct

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371January 29, 2023 2:42 AM

I'm rooting for Ana. I hope she wins. She was marvelous as Marilyn.

by Anonymousreply 372January 29, 2023 2:47 AM

I'm rooting for Ana. I hope she wins. She was marvelous as Marilyn.

by Anonymousreply 373January 29, 2023 2:48 AM

r371 US birth rates are declining for every group. It's expensive as hell to have kids these days.

by Anonymousreply 374January 29, 2023 2:50 AM

Much ado about nothing

by Anonymousreply 375January 29, 2023 2:51 AM

R374 Not for everyone. The Black/Latino/Asian population is increasing in the US and worldwide. Guess who isnt....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376January 29, 2023 3:07 AM

r376 birthrates in the US are declining for every group. It's too much of a hassle and too expensive to have a litter of kids these days.

And believe me, you would not want to live in a non-white majority country.

by Anonymousreply 377January 29, 2023 3:30 AM

R377 actually I would. Especially after reading this thread. How arrogant to assume others need whites around to be civilized and thriving. That's that delusional supremacist thinking.

by Anonymousreply 378January 29, 2023 3:45 AM

r378 just look at the world. You don't want to live in a non-white majority country.

by Anonymousreply 379January 29, 2023 3:50 AM

R379 I said what the fuck I said loser. You arent even the original people. The world was spinning before you and it definitely will after you. White aint always right. And stop saying "trust me" because I don't trust the devil.

by Anonymousreply 380January 29, 2023 3:54 AM

R380 Sweet baby jesus. These LSA refugees are fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 381January 29, 2023 3:58 AM

R381 not fucked uo. Waking up. All you gotta do is look at history. From Adolf Hitler to the ku klux klan, to apartheid no other race has murdered and destroyed other cultures like the people without melanin in their skin. Thats just the facts. That's a world I dont want to live in.

by Anonymousreply 382January 29, 2023 4:04 AM

Okay this is getting way off topic. Block the troll r382 and his other posts disappear.

by Anonymousreply 383January 29, 2023 4:07 AM

R383 BYE BITCH! no need to announce it just do it. Fuck off cunt.

by Anonymousreply 384January 29, 2023 4:10 AM

Ten bucks says both the "whites are all evil" AND the "only whites should be in control" trolls are both the exact same person.

by Anonymousreply 385January 29, 2023 4:15 AM

10 bucks says you're delusional R385. You can call me a troll all you want but you can't resist responding to me haha its pathological for you.

by Anonymousreply 386January 29, 2023 4:18 AM

[quote]And believe me, you would not want to live in a non-white majority country.

[quote]You don't want to live in a non-white majority country.

From the same guy who said this in the Arnold Schwarzenegger thread:

[quote]Well when r85 says he doesn't like black people it should be commented on.

Being racist in some threads and then yelling at racists in others is very normal! Completely common! Totally not a troll!

by Anonymousreply 387January 29, 2023 4:20 AM

Apologies to the r85 in this thread, the r85 mentioned in r387 is the one in the Arnold thread, not this one. Sorry if you get a notification. Thankfully the notification system on here doesn't work half the time, so maybe you didn't!

by Anonymousreply 388January 29, 2023 4:21 AM

A non-white majority country doesn't mean a black majority r387

by Anonymousreply 389January 29, 2023 4:23 AM

r387 you posted this in another thread:

[quote]I don't like black Americans. I respect the fact that they created the only decent and original American music genres (jazz, rock, hip hop, r&b) but I find many aspects of their culture irritating, dangerous, and deplorable.

You're really not one to talk!

by Anonymousreply 390January 29, 2023 4:26 AM

[quote]A non-white majority country doesn't mean a black majority r387

I didn't say it did, little buddy.

by Anonymousreply 391January 29, 2023 4:27 AM

[quote]r387 you posted this in another thread

I absolutely did not, and anyone who can do the ignore trick will be able to see that for themselves. You really ARE a troll, aren't you? You pay to post this shit? Good lord.

by Anonymousreply 392January 29, 2023 4:29 AM

The person who wrote the racist comment about not liking black Americans was in the "Simple Truths" thread, which I'll link, They're r287 et al. in this thread, not me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393January 29, 2023 4:33 AM

Jesus fucking Christ you need to get a life and get laid. Seriously. You have issues.

by Anonymousreply 394January 29, 2023 4:37 AM

[quote]Jesus fucking Christ you need to get a life and get laid. Seriously. You have issues.

You pay to post on DL that you hate all blacks because they're all disgusting. You don't get to tell others that they have issues.

Besides, it was the dipshit at r390 who got you at R287 confused with me at R387 and quoted your racist diatribe from another thread. Go yell at him for bringing you into this.

by Anonymousreply 395January 29, 2023 4:47 AM

R395 what are you blabbering about? I said no such thing, but you're so desperate to point fingers you can't actually read and have to make up things. It's sad, but the unfuckable like yourself are pretty sad. You have my pity, unfuckable one.

by Anonymousreply 396January 29, 2023 4:51 AM

R395 You seem to have strayed from the point.....about to watch To Leslie.

by Anonymousreply 397January 29, 2023 5:16 AM

R349 is what's wrong with society. Sorry....but "For the first time in my life I Instant Messaged a celebrity-And it was Andrea, on her Instagram. Just wanted to send some love"

Yes, poor Andrea. You know she's just an actress right and not really an alcoholic? Poor Andrea might be deprived of an award. How far more tolerable we are of celebrities and their first world problems than say...ummmm....actual alcoholics or people REALLY suffering.

Jesus H Christ.

by Anonymousreply 398January 29, 2023 7:10 AM

I feel bad for her being the target of this "investigation." How humiliating.

by Anonymousreply 399January 29, 2023 8:27 AM

I hope they find something because there’s something just not right about this nomination. You know Viola Davis or Danielle Deadwyler should’ve been in this spot.

by Anonymousreply 400January 29, 2023 8:40 AM

R400 I don't think Viola would be up for sharing one spot.

As posted above they should focus on how De Armas from her Razzie-dominating movie made it to a nomination at so many award shows.

by Anonymousreply 401January 29, 2023 9:46 AM

[quote]The Black/Latino/Asian population is increasing in the US and worldwide. Guess who isnt....

Blacks may have a high birth rate, but they also have the shortest life expectancy. The majority of them die from homicide or go to prison before age 30. A high birth rate doesn't mean a majority non-white country the way you think it does.

by Anonymousreply 402January 29, 2023 9:58 AM

You're an idiot R402 you don't know any Black stick to your klan rallies white man. That's what you know.

by Anonymousreply 403January 29, 2023 10:08 AM

lol how suddenly you’re ALL experts on this film that made $27,000 dollars. The fact is, NONE of you have watched it. Spare me your ridiculous finger wagging. She should not have been nominated.

by Anonymousreply 404January 29, 2023 11:17 AM

I watched it. I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 405January 29, 2023 11:21 AM

Gotta love the divisiveness......

"Over the past week and a half an internationally acclaimed play called seven methods of killing kylie jenner has been showing in Melbourne. If you go searching for The Age’s review, however, you won’t find one.

It’s not because we didn’t want to cover it – it’s because the producers refused to “accommodate” any reviewers who weren’t people of colour (PoC). "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406January 29, 2023 11:24 AM

The movie was good and Andrea definitely deserved the nomination. Ana should have been left out. Also what R398 said.

by Anonymousreply 407January 29, 2023 11:26 AM

Kylie you in danger gurl!

by Anonymousreply 408January 29, 2023 11:27 AM

[quote]it’s because the producers refused to “accommodate” any reviewers who weren’t people of colour (PoC). "

Why can’t the reviewers just say they identify as POC? If it’s true for gender, then it’s true for race.

by Anonymousreply 409January 29, 2023 12:40 PM

We're a failed species.

The mega-asteroid that collides with Earth and wipes us out or the super-virus, either of those, or both!, can't come soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 410January 29, 2023 12:59 PM

We live in a joyless society. The fun has been sucked out of everything. It's sad.

by Anonymousreply 411January 29, 2023 1:49 PM

R33 Old? She's 41. Are you a teenager? And what does number of people that have seen the movie or the amount of money it had made, has to do with anything? A good performance is a good performance. This just proves that Oscars are made for mainstream big studio movies with huge Hollywood stars and have nothing to do with awarding good performances or good films made that year (P.S. I haven't seen her movie so I don't know if she was any good in it and if the movie itself is any good).

by Anonymousreply 412January 29, 2023 3:32 PM

Imagine the stir if Riseborough wins, too.

by Anonymousreply 413January 29, 2023 3:40 PM

I kinda hope she does win! Just to shove it in the throats of The Academy who think they can control who gets nominated and influence who wins

by Anonymousreply 414January 29, 2023 4:10 PM

If you've seen the movie, you know she deserves to win.

by Anonymousreply 415January 29, 2023 4:17 PM

R415- its true. The fact that her performance was not better known to begin with- is a joke.

Andrea should win. And if the academy actually now watches the film- she very well could.

I think it may depend on how this narrative turns out regarding all of these ethics accusations.

The fact that we live in a universe where this nomination is being questioned and that fucking Anna D'Fuckface is in the category is all I need to know.

by Anonymousreply 416January 29, 2023 4:26 PM

Here's what I don't understand. Why is only Riseborough to blame for lack of diversity of the nominees? There are four other nominees in the category.

by Anonymousreply 417January 29, 2023 4:31 PM

The only hope for peace in the land is to remake Beaches with Andrea as CC and Danielle as Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 418January 29, 2023 4:45 PM

[417] They chose her as their target because her campaign for the nod was all 'social media' and not millions of dollars spent by a studio in PR. So studios who backed Viola Davis and Deadwyler and spent millions on billboards, print ads, meet-n-greets, etc. are furious they wasted that money when all either actress had to do was get a few celebrity friends to tout her performance on social media.

However, the problem wit that is : Riseboroughs performance was miles away from the performance either of the other two gave. AR was absolutely outstanding, the other two were not. And the Oscars should be about outstanding work. She should win.

by Anonymousreply 419January 29, 2023 4:45 PM

Unless there was a violation of rules (which doesn't appear to be the case), there's not a damn thing the academy can do.

by Anonymousreply 420January 29, 2023 4:47 PM

My guess is Riseborough's reliance on non-traditional methods of scoring a nomination will become the new normal. And there's nothing wrong with it, either.

by Anonymousreply 421January 29, 2023 4:49 PM

I love the Andrea Riseborough nomination. Every year, there are small indie performances leagues better than the “filler nods” we get. The fact that one of them broke through and has now turned what was seen as a two-horse race between Blanchett and Yeoh into pure chaos is exciting and gratifying.

I hope Andrea wins. Her performance is the strongest of those who were nominated.

Make no mistake about it, Andrea has all sorts of buzz now and lots of people are talking about her performance on social media and how superb it is.

Those of us who already knew her from the episode of Black Mirror called “Crocodile” (one of the best episodes of the series) already knew how talented she was. She should have won an Emmy for that performance. It’s incredible.

by Anonymousreply 422January 29, 2023 4:49 PM

[quote]Here's what I don't understand. Why is only Riseborough to blame for lack of diversity of the nominees? There are four other nominees in the category.

Because the results were fixed to guarantee a diversity nomination. That didn’t happen, and now the Academy is dumbfounded how Riseborough got through.

by Anonymousreply 423January 29, 2023 4:57 PM

Andrea R and her circle of friends beat the Academy at their own game. And now, Whoopie and Jada are furious.

by Anonymousreply 424January 29, 2023 5:02 PM

Skinny bitchy white girls will always win.

by Anonymousreply 425January 29, 2023 5:05 PM

No you didn’t R405.

by Anonymousreply 426January 29, 2023 5:05 PM

You haven’t watched it R407. Sit down.

by Anonymousreply 427January 29, 2023 5:05 PM

The film has been out on download sites for 3 months now, so anyone can watch it easily.

by Anonymousreply 428January 29, 2023 5:07 PM

So which is worse — well connected people getting a nom because of their insider status, or POC getting a nom to fill a white-guilt quota — in both instances, let’s say it’s in the absence of actual exceptional talent.

Not a rhetorical question.

by Anonymousreply 429January 29, 2023 5:10 PM

[quote] Unless there was a violation of rules (which doesn't appear to be the case), there's not a damn thing the academy can do.

The Academy can do WHATEVER THE FUCK IT WANTS. You people act like it’s some legal government entity that you have control over. It is a private organization that can do what it wants. If it wants to rescind her nomination and give it to someone else, they can do exactly that.

by Anonymousreply 430January 29, 2023 5:12 PM

[quote]They chose her as their target because her campaign for the nod was all 'social media' and not millions of dollars spent by a studio in PR. So studios who backed Viola Davis and Deadwyler and spent millions on billboards, print ads, meet-n-greets, etc. are furious they wasted that money when all either actress had to do was get a few celebrity friends to tout her performance on social media.

The world is changing and the Industry is always slow to keep up with the changes.

by Anonymousreply 431January 29, 2023 5:58 PM

R430 The Academy is made up of over 10,000 members who aren't going to tolerate the powers-that-be disregarding their voted-for choices. It would undermine the entire voting process, as shaky as it already is.

by Anonymousreply 432January 29, 2023 5:58 PM

[quote] I believe there has been ONE, Fucking ONE Black best actress winner in the NINETY FIVE YEAR history of the Academy

That's because there weren't many Black leading ladies until the 60's and then only sporadically and not in films that could compete for AA nomination. That's not to say there hasn't been bias but for most of the 90 YEARS there weren't that many movies with strong leading role performances by Black actresses.

by Anonymousreply 433January 29, 2023 6:03 PM

r430 Whether the academy CAN rescind her nomination and whether they WILL are two entirely different things.

by Anonymousreply 434January 29, 2023 6:12 PM

R382 forgets that black folks sold other black folks into slavery for generations, and they are still doing it today.

by Anonymousreply 435January 29, 2023 6:17 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 436January 29, 2023 6:26 PM

All this talk about Andrea prompted me to dust off my DVD of ANNA starring Sally Kirkland who knows a thing or two about campaigning. She was brilliant in a movie very few people saw when it was released and is all but forgotten now. And so is Sally. Who won the Oscar that year? Cher who gave two excellent film performance prior to Moonstruck and none since. The Oscars have never been fair and never will be. But I would love to see Andrea win.

by Anonymousreply 437January 29, 2023 6:27 PM

[quote]So studios who backed Viola Davis and Deadwyler and spent millions on billboards, print ads, meet-n-greets, etc. are furious they wasted that money when all either actress had to do was get a few celebrity friends to tout her performance on social media.

Does Viola really have any friends?

by Anonymousreply 438January 29, 2023 6:34 PM

Viola people are FURIOUS at the lack of a nomination for momma. They intend to make a lot of noise about it (in fact, they've already started) and refuse to accept there were just better performances than hers this year. From an insider.

by Anonymousreply 439January 29, 2023 7:26 PM

Viola people need to get to the back of bus on this one.

by Anonymousreply 440January 29, 2023 7:55 PM

Some of Viola's fans on twitter are nutsos who cry any time people refuse to Viola's feet.

by Anonymousreply 441January 29, 2023 8:03 PM

Here's a story from The Hollywood Reporter about why Riseborough won't, and shouldn't be sanctioned. Provides a lot of historical context that I hope will settle everyone down and stop with the inappropriate Riseborough dragging.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442January 29, 2023 8:04 PM

I have 2 questions about 'To Leslie' without giving any spoilers away...

1. What was Leslie's relationship to 'Nancy' and 'Pete' ? Was she just friends with that couple, or was she related to them (sister and brother-in-law ; brother and sister-in-law, cousins) ? I think at the end Nancy says 'we're family' but how ?

2. In the credits, an actor and an actress are credited with playing Leslie's parents. In what scene do we ever meet her parents ? I don't recall at all. (I'm wondering if a scene was filmed and ended up on the cutting room floor),

Thanks in advance !

by Anonymousreply 443January 29, 2023 10:11 PM

r434, great point!

r436, rescinding the nomination MAY help Blanchett and may not. Considering she was part of the group of WHITE actors who was pushing for Andrea's nomination, if the nomination's rescinded, it could go two ways.

Cate will win because of a combination of most Academy votes really believing she was the most deserving of the Best Actress Oscar and white resentment (Academy's still predominately white) on what happened to Andrea. Or...

Again, since Cate was a part of the group pushing for Andrea and there's a backlash, Cate could received the brunt of that backlash considering she's a current nominee and lose out. Add the possibility of white guilt and the Oscar could go to a woman of color, either Michelle Yeoh (who I'm personally rooting for) or either Viola Davis or Danielle Deadwyler it either of them replaces Andre.

by Anonymousreply 444January 29, 2023 10:25 PM

After reading the article at R442's post, with decades' worth of various means of gaming the system, it amazes me even more how people can take the Oscars seriously.

by Anonymousreply 445January 29, 2023 10:36 PM

OMG you have to look at that ad Margaret Avery took out for her Color Purple nomination in the article R442 linked. The only thing more embarrassing is the ad Chill Wills' publicist took out for his client's nod for The Alamo in 1960.

by Anonymousreply 446January 29, 2023 10:41 PM

I think the comeuppance in TAR is one of the best in movie history.....it's a long wait, but it's wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 447January 29, 2023 10:47 PM

[quote]r424 And now, Whoopie and Jada are furious.

Where have they commented?

by Anonymousreply 448January 30, 2023 12:19 AM

R443, I think they were her in-laws or otherwise grandparents of her son.

by Anonymousreply 449January 30, 2023 1:14 AM

R444 ,Cate mentioned Andrea's name along with several other females she believed should get awarded doenthoer work.. She even gave a shout out to women in tampon commercials.

by Anonymousreply 450January 30, 2023 1:30 AM

Cate Blanchett seems like someone who is full of shit and talks out of her ass. I can't take anything she says in interviews seriously. It always seems like she is making up a story to avoid giving out details of her life, or her answers are always so abstract

by Anonymousreply 451January 30, 2023 1:32 AM

I told you bitches 20 years ago that the Academy Awards were nonsense.

For decades, it's been It's been laughable how serious everybody takes them, when, all along, if you half-way paid attention, it was obvious how corrupt and ultimately meaningless they are, just as that THR piece at r442 states.

Talk shit about Brando and George C. Scott all you want. They have it coming and then some.

But they were right on about their refusal to recognize an Academy Award.

I'll grant the Oscars TV production reluctant respect for one thing : I always knew I could expect, and will enjoy, trainwreck TV and those SOBs never disappointed me.

by Anonymousreply 452January 30, 2023 2:56 AM

I’m as progressive, liberal, and democratic as they come, and this seems anything BUT either of those things. Tell me, where’s the proof that Riseborough pushed any of these people to campaign for her, “aggressively” at that? And is it being implied that her peers and other individuals in the industry would campaign for her just because she asked them to rather than because they actually loved her performance, which is one of 2022’s best?

Riseborough didn’t take a goddamn thing from anyone. She earned and deserved this nomination, and I’d say that even if she bared and shook her Tic Tac titties on Hollywood Blvd. to campaign for it. In fact, the only questionable nominee, as far as I’m concerned, is Michelle—give me a fucking break, seriously—Williams. I would quickly replace her with Danielle Deadwyler.

In any event, cancel culture has reached truly abhorrent and unprecedented levels. Enough! Sufficient! Basta!

by Anonymousreply 453January 30, 2023 2:59 AM

[quote] Don't people use shady tactics to get nominations all the time anyway? This thing is all politics.

Yes. Although this is an embarrassment to the organization. It underscores just how political and easily manipulated the nominations process has been since inception.

by Anonymousreply 454January 30, 2023 3:14 AM

[quote] If Yeoh wins, it’ll be more the first Asian winning lead actress and a career award.

Honoring someone for their career and body of work is a terrible injustice.

by Anonymousreply 455January 30, 2023 3:22 AM

[quote] I kinda hope she does win! Just to shove it in the throats of The Academy who think they can control who gets nominated and influence who wins.

It is NOT the Academy or a few Black actresses that prompted this review. It is the Hollywood machine that invests millions into marketing its products for the visibility and validation of an Oscar nomination or award. If a multi-million dollar media campaign can be upended by a few social media posts then the whole industry is in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 456January 30, 2023 3:43 AM

[quote]If a multi-million dollar media campaign can be upended by a few social media posts then the whole industry is in trouble.

Counterpoint: If a multi-million dollar media campaign can be upended by a few social media posts then hallelujah.

by Anonymousreply 457January 30, 2023 3:50 AM

[quote] So which is worse — well connected people getting a nom because of their insider status, or POC getting a nom to fill a white-guilt quota — in both instances, let’s say it’s in the absence of actual exceptional talent.

Indeed. The Oscars, particularly the Best Actress Oscar, has always been about rewarding "exceptional" talent. These winners are among the most "exceptional" fellatists in Hollywood history:

Gwyneth Paltrow

Julia Roberts

Emma Stone

Jennifer Lawrence

Holly Hunter

Sandy Bullock

by Anonymousreply 458January 30, 2023 3:54 AM

[quote] AR was absolutely outstanding, the other two were not. And the Oscars should be about outstanding work. She should win.

Are the other four performances nominated in this category "outstanding"? Because I wasn't planning to watch any of them.

by Anonymousreply 459January 30, 2023 3:59 AM

I doubt very much that Ms. Riseborough is “friends” (or even acquainted with) all the stars who came out on her behalf.

They are her peers who know she’s a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 460January 30, 2023 4:27 AM

R435 excuses excuses

by Anonymousreply 461January 30, 2023 4:37 AM

R448

Whoopi was overheard commenting about this when she was on a hot mic at the McDonald's in Times Square. And Jada was overheard commenting about this at the Panda Express in Mall of America. One of the customers overheard her standing in line.

by Anonymousreply 462January 30, 2023 4:53 AM

^Super lame. The obsession with Jada has become pathological. Its right up there with Meghan Markle.

by Anonymousreply 463January 30, 2023 6:09 AM

I have to believe all this attention for Riseborough can only help her chances for winning. So many people are jumping to her defense, and so many voting members are going to actually watch the movie who otherwise wouldn't.

by Anonymousreply 464January 30, 2023 11:16 AM

Exactly. All this controversy and discussion is incredible publicity for Riseborough and this film. I’ll bet Jennifer Aniston got her A-list PR people involved as a favor for her friend.

by Anonymousreply 465January 30, 2023 11:32 AM

How did Colleen Camp get dragged into this…Since when is she an “event planner?”

“Oscar campaigns are expensive efforts involving parties, consultants and advertisements that carry steep price tags. The “To Leslie” campaign apparently was self-funded. But it did enlist two PR firms, Narrative and Shelter, along with event planners like Colleen Camp, to help draw attention to the movie. Who paid those bills? Momentum Pictures? Riseborough? Some third party? Inquiring minds want to know.”

by Anonymousreply 466January 30, 2023 12:21 PM

I hope she wins.

by Anonymousreply 467January 30, 2023 1:05 PM

Where is that quote from r466, it sounds absolutely unhinged. Some "third party"??? What like NORTH KOREA PERHAPS?????? Execute her!

by Anonymousreply 468January 30, 2023 1:55 PM

[quote]Some "third party"??? What like NORTH KOREA PERHAPS?????? Execute her!

It was Valerie Jarrett.

by Anonymousreply 469January 30, 2023 2:02 PM

This article just came out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470January 30, 2023 3:51 PM

I think Viola is angry because she probably lost out on the BP role that Angela got, and now Angela has a nomination, unlike Viola and her Suicide Squad turns.

by Anonymousreply 471January 30, 2023 3:57 PM

Nobody can force a member to vote against their wishes on the privacy of an anonymous ballot. They actually watched the movie and voted, unlike however many times voters have just reflexively written in Meryl or Michelle Williams without actually watching the movie.

by Anonymousreply 472January 30, 2023 4:00 PM

R470 That was very interesting. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 473January 30, 2023 4:01 PM

From the article at R470. Wow.

[QUOTE] “Can you imagine if Viola [Davis] was being accused of what her [Andrea Riseborough] team is being accused of? Viola wouldn’t have gotten to the point of getting nominated. She would have already been disqualified and probably kicked out of the Academy. There’s always one set of rules for one group and one set for another. Or should I say, one set for Black people? We see this all the time, and the Academy knows it. Yet, they chose not to do anything about it… so do I think she’ll be kicked out? Hell no! Because ‘White is Always Right.’ She’ll probably even win because the system is made for people like her to thrive. To succeed. To flourish. For Black people, there is no system. We aren’t flourishing. But I’ll wait to see what they’ll do.” – Member requested their branch affiliation not be identified

by Anonymousreply 474January 30, 2023 4:05 PM

[quote]Can you imagine if Viola [Davis] was being accused of what her [Andrea Riseborough] team is being accused of?

I'm still waiting for an explanation of what exactly her team is being accused of.

by Anonymousreply 475January 30, 2023 4:06 PM

The person quoted at R474 is clearly nuts. It's sad that society/culture actually encourages some people to be nuts.

by Anonymousreply 476January 30, 2023 4:08 PM

R468 From OP’s article.

by Anonymousreply 477January 30, 2023 4:19 PM

WE FOUND JADA!

by Anonymousreply 478January 30, 2023 4:25 PM

R478, the person really does sound like Jada. They definitely sound female to me as well.

Aren’t Jada and Will still in hiding? No one wants to hear from or look at either of their asses.

by Anonymousreply 479January 30, 2023 4:28 PM

The fact is, no Black actor nomination would ever be questioned by the Academy no matter what. Andrea's misfortune is that she's White.

by Anonymousreply 480January 30, 2023 4:32 PM

Still have no clue what she did wrong.

by Anonymousreply 481January 30, 2023 4:32 PM

Colleen Camp became a behind-the-scenes "Hollywood wife" during her marriage to John Goldwyn. Who I just found it, is now gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482January 30, 2023 4:33 PM

R445 Exactly. Just like the Grammys. It's all politics, ass kissing and hand shaking.

by Anonymousreply 483January 30, 2023 4:35 PM

People saying Cate can't win now are forgetting Anthony Hopkins winning his second for a much less seen arthouse movie over the dead Chadwick Boseman in the year of BLM. Sometimes, rare today but still, the Academy does reward based on talent over sob stories.

by Anonymousreply 484January 30, 2023 4:40 PM

The only inside source who's comment meant anything because they saw the film-

“I watched her performance in ‘To Leslie’ and thought she was extraordinary. What a beautiful, wonderful movie, and not something you see a lot in the theaters. I was so moved by it. I received an invitation to see the film, and I went. Everyone I talked to felt the same way I did. I don’t know if she broke any rules. Do you know what I honestly think? I think this is a quest to find out why a woman from a movie no one had heard about was able to receive a nomination purely on the performance. Do you know how many of my colleagues are nominated because they’re in so and so’s movies? A lot. If she were disqualified from the awards, it would be a decimation of the Actors’ choice because it’s our choice to nominate someone.” – Member of the Actors Branch

by Anonymousreply 485January 30, 2023 4:46 PM

[quote]so do I think she’ll be kicked out? Hell no! Because ‘White is Always Right.’ She’ll probably even win because the system is made for people like her to thrive. To succeed. To flourish. For Black people, there is no system. We aren’t flourishing.

Perpetual victimhood, like always.

by Anonymousreply 486January 30, 2023 4:50 PM

R486 perpetual ignorance and low intelligence from you like always.

by Anonymousreply 487January 30, 2023 4:58 PM

I really enjoyed her character of Leslie. I thought, 'here we go, another film about a drunk and druggy woman', but it was a really well written and superbly acted.

Allison Janney was fantastic, as always, and gave the film gravitas. Owen Teague gave a lovely, understated performance as the son.

I just really loved the twist and turns and how she turned her life around at the end.

In my opinion, it was definitely an Oscar nomination performance. I think other actors will respond well to it and vote for her.

by Anonymousreply 488January 30, 2023 5:10 PM

These protests will have the following effects:

1) They will tarnish Riseborough's reputation unfairly (since she did not lead the protests herself);

2) they will continue to de-legitimize the Oscars in the minds of Americans as ridiculously overpoliticized by the SJW crowd, and will contribute to even smaller ratings.

by Anonymousreply 489January 30, 2023 5:13 PM

[quote](since she did not lead the protests herself);

Sorry, that should read "(since she did not lead the campaign herself)"

by Anonymousreply 490January 30, 2023 5:21 PM

3) Andrea will unexpectedly win the Oscar

by Anonymousreply 491January 30, 2023 5:36 PM

After Frances McDormand's third win for documenting her bowel movements, no one should take the Academy Awards ceremony too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 492January 30, 2023 5:42 PM

I'm in favor of whatever is going to most infuriate Jada and Viola and the Till director.

by Anonymousreply 493January 30, 2023 5:46 PM

R453, what does being progressive or liberal have to do with all this shit? How does one's poltical leanings factor into an opinion of some actress being investigated for her Oscar campaign?

by Anonymousreply 494January 30, 2023 5:52 PM

To the poster above who said no African-American has won Best Actress Oscars, you forgot Charlize Theron won for Monster's Ball

by Anonymousreply 495January 30, 2023 5:53 PM

*Monster

by Anonymousreply 496January 30, 2023 5:54 PM

R480 sure, the real victims here are Andrea and her white middle aged actress friends, sure of course

by Anonymousreply 497January 30, 2023 5:58 PM

R497, it's just the Oscars. Using the term "victims" is just silly melodrama.

by Anonymousreply 498January 30, 2023 6:06 PM

It ain't fittin' - it jus' ain't fittin'! That white trash Riseborough girl gettin' tha' nominashun over Vi Ella.

by Anonymousreply 499January 30, 2023 6:19 PM

I haven't seen her film, but based on the many comments I've seen it's a mesmerizing performance. Nothing wrong with her fellow actors using what clout they have to help her get a nomination.

There's no guarantee that Davis or Deadwyler were even bumped by Riseborough. If anything, they were bumped by de Armas, who in my opinion in no way deserved a nomination for Blonde. But she had the standard big studio/agency campaign so no one is calling her out. There's no way knowing if they were 6th on the list, behind Riseborough or de Armas.

by Anonymousreply 500January 30, 2023 6:24 PM

[quote] The person quoted at [R474] is clearly nuts. It's sad that society/culture actually encourages some people to be nuts.

The person quoted at r474 is a member of the Academy and knows a little more about it than the rest of us. I wouldn't say they were any more nuts than the rest of the Academy.

by Anonymousreply 501January 30, 2023 6:27 PM

[quote] To the poster above who said no African-American has won Best Actress Oscars, you forgot Charlize Theron won for Monster's Ball

R495 I can't tell if you're serious or seriously fucking stupid. Its likely both 🤡🤡

by Anonymousreply 502January 30, 2023 6:29 PM

I expect the medical profession would disagree with your supposition that all members of a given cohort are equally mentally sound, R501.

by Anonymousreply 503January 30, 2023 6:30 PM

Some "unknown old white actress," R33? She's 41, you fucking idiot. Danielle Deadwyler is exactly 1 year younger, by comparison. So I guess Deadwyler must be old, too by your illogic. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 504January 30, 2023 6:33 PM

[quote] R453], what does being progressive or liberal have to do with all this shit? How does one's poltical leanings factor into an opinion of some actress being investigated for her Oscar campaign?

Absolutely everything is political these days. Come on now.

by Anonymousreply 505January 30, 2023 6:38 PM

[quote] The fact is, no Black actor nomination would ever be questioned by the Academy no matter what. Andrea's misfortune is that she's White.

I suppose if you are a Klan Granny this is all about race, and your hate for Viola Davis. However, if you are not a bigot and consider how few Blacks are in the Academy and how few ever get nominated, it would be implausible that the decision to investigate could be based on race. The Academy very obviously doesn't care enough about race to launch an investigation of a single nomination.

The investigation is because it does not want the traditional institutions of the industry it serves, those which deem which films are important and which performances should be recognized, to be supplanted by mere actors utilizing social media.

by Anonymousreply 506January 30, 2023 6:39 PM

R502, Charlize Theron was born in South Africa and became a U.S. citizen, so she is actually an African-American. I suspect that poster was making a joke about that, which got mangled by confusing her Monster movie with Halle Berry's.

by Anonymousreply 507January 30, 2023 6:41 PM

I didn't realize that anyone cared about awards shows anymore. The speeches are so tedious and there is no longer any real glamor involved. The dresses and suits are always heinous and unflattering.

by Anonymousreply 508January 30, 2023 6:42 PM

Charlize Theron was born and raised in Africa, and has South African and US citizenship. So yes, she is an African-American. Not everyone in Africa is black.

by Anonymousreply 509January 30, 2023 6:43 PM

You all love to hate on black women so much and are forgetting that the Oscars don't give a fuck about black people. The Academy doesn't care about race enough to investigate this. It's all about traditional methods of campaign vs modern/ contemporary formats i.e social media

by Anonymousreply 510January 30, 2023 6:44 PM

It's hard to take seriously anyone who uses the term "Klan Granny." Isn't that reserved for the tedious Meghan Markle threads?

by Anonymousreply 511January 30, 2023 6:44 PM

R506, do you get paid every time you use the term "Klan Granny" or did someone dare you to try and make it take off? Consider yourself Gretchen Weiners, hon. It's NEVER going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 512January 30, 2023 6:45 PM

[QUOTE] The Academy doesn't care about race enough to investigate this.

Isn’t this exactly what they just announced they’re currently doing?

by Anonymousreply 513January 30, 2023 6:46 PM

I dont think anyone has said African American when mentioning the lack of diversity in the best actress oscar race. The posts have been specific in staying BLACK actress. CT doesn't count, she is a white bitch from Africa

by Anonymousreply 514January 30, 2023 6:47 PM

"CT doesn't count, she is a white bitch from Africa"

So, R514, is it women or white women you hate?

by Anonymousreply 515January 30, 2023 6:50 PM

[quote] It's hard to take seriously anyone who uses the term "Klan Granny." Isn't that reserved for the tedious Meghan Markle threads?

It's hard to take anyone who posts at Datalounge seriously. Particularly someone who takes umbrage at the use of "Klan Granny" -- a relatively civil, quaint name for a loathsome ideology -- instead of all of the racist vitriol you should be condemning.

by Anonymousreply 516January 30, 2023 6:51 PM

"It's hard to take anyone who posts at Datalounge seriously."

Looking at you, R516.

by Anonymousreply 517January 30, 2023 6:52 PM

[quote]You all love to hate on black women so much and are forgetting that the Oscars don't give a fuck about black people. The Academy doesn't care about race enough to investigate this.

Perpetual victim Jada is posting all over this thread.

by Anonymousreply 518January 30, 2023 6:54 PM

R515, when the fuck did I say I hate women of any race? You bitches post so much disgusting crap about Jada, Viola etc but the minute someone says anything negative about one of these white actresses, oH YoU hAtE wOmEn

by Anonymousreply 519January 30, 2023 6:55 PM

R519, are you defending calling Theron a "white bitch" with some whataboutism bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 520January 30, 2023 6:57 PM

Someone called Viola a black bitch upthread, I didn't hear any complaints about it

by Anonymousreply 521January 30, 2023 7:00 PM

Because I didn't see it, R521. Yeah, that's bullshit. So is whataboutism.

by Anonymousreply 522January 30, 2023 7:01 PM

[quote]There's no guarantee that Davis or Deadwyler were even bumped by Riseborough. If anything, they were bumped by de Armas, who in my opinion in no way deserved a nomination for Blonde. But she had the standard big studio/agency campaign so no one is calling her out. There's no way knowing if they were 6th on the list, behind Riseborough or de Armas.

I think Deadwyler was bumped by de Armas. de Armas' performance in Blonde was atrocious. Someone in Hollywood is protecting de Armas.

by Anonymousreply 523January 30, 2023 7:09 PM

It seems if any of the actresses on the list don't deserve to be there it's de Armas.

by Anonymousreply 524January 30, 2023 7:11 PM

[quote]Someone in Hollywood is protecting de Armas.

She must be sucking all the right dicks. Her nom for Blonde is ridiculous. It's a horrible movie, horrible performance, and it was also a horrible book. Joyce Carol Oates's rape fantasy of Marilyn Monroe.

by Anonymousreply 525January 30, 2023 7:20 PM

I tried watching "Blonde", but didn't make it through the first half hour; and I will watch damn near anything.

by Anonymousreply 526January 30, 2023 7:46 PM

When is the academy supposed to make its decision?

by Anonymousreply 527January 30, 2023 10:55 PM

The meeting is tomorrow. They'll presumably make a decision and announce it then.

by Anonymousreply 528January 30, 2023 10:58 PM

The outcome of this so called investigation won't change a thing. Andrea will remain nominated and now most likely will win

by Anonymousreply 529January 30, 2023 11:25 PM

Here's a scene from To Leslie (no spoilers in this scene):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 530January 30, 2023 11:38 PM

The anonymous impressions about this “controversy” by members in other branches is a huge tell about where this is going. I would not be surprised to see Andrea win in March.

by Anonymousreply 531January 30, 2023 11:39 PM

I wouldn't go that far, R531. Almost every year there's a surprise nomination that people insist might now just have a shot at the win because their shocking inclusion demonstrates passion. None of those surprise nominees have won an Oscar since Marcia Gay Harden over twenty years ago, and that was an incredibly divided field with no real front-runner.

Riseborough is just the most extreme version of that imaginable.

by Anonymousreply 532January 31, 2023 12:07 AM

r532 I think you would be right if not for all the publicity this "controversy" has generated. Voting for Riseborough is now going to be the popular thing to do. At the very least, more members are actually going to watch her performance than they may have otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 533January 31, 2023 12:19 AM

Would love if she wins

by Anonymousreply 534January 31, 2023 12:25 AM

I find it hilarious that if she does win, they give her a statue that looks like Jada.

by Anonymousreply 535January 31, 2023 1:16 AM

Could someone explain to me how someone could have performed malfeasance here? Are they thinking they might find there were bribes, or what?

by Anonymousreply 536January 31, 2023 2:22 AM

There really instant.

They do have technical rules that when promoting a performer for consideration, Academy members cannot mention them in comparison to other performers (ie, the competition.) Actress Frances Fisher did mention a few other actresses who would probably to be in the running in her tweet - but that’s something the Academy will have to take up with her.

by Anonymousreply 537January 31, 2023 3:24 AM

^^ There really ISN’T (not “instant”)

!!!

by Anonymousreply 538January 31, 2023 3:25 AM

This reminds me a bit of when the music industry had invested millions in acts like Motley Crue and Guns 'n' Roses, and three guys from Washington state in a little band called Nirvana knocked the shit out of them.

by Anonymousreply 539January 31, 2023 3:25 AM

The queens at awards daily are melting down about it and one is suggesting that Frances fisher should be charged with a crime.

by Anonymousreply 540January 31, 2023 4:48 AM

Hoping she wins, to stick it to that dusty, snobbish academy board

by Anonymousreply 541January 31, 2023 4:56 AM

I want Andrea to win. But, I think Oscar voters in the acting branch are fearing backlash and are going to vote for other actresses.

The bitchy part of me hopes Andrea lands some role playing a famous American woman in a based on a true story movie which is Oscar worthy. That would probably piss off a lot of people who get pissy whenever Brits playing American historical figures.

by Anonymousreply 542January 31, 2023 5:08 AM

The scariest revaluation throughout this whole ordeal is the fact Daphne Zuniga is a member of the Academy!

by Anonymousreply 543January 31, 2023 5:12 AM

R543 Zuniga is being a member isn't as bad as Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, Leslie Mann, and Tiffany Haddish being members of the Academy. None of those women should be Academy members.

by Anonymousreply 544January 31, 2023 5:17 AM

This goes back to what I was saying in the Cate Blanchett thread.

They nominate these bombs no one watches with unknown actors and they expect millions of people are supposed to tune in to see if they’ll win.

And NO it wasn’t always like that. A lot of the biggest movies of the year used to align with the Oscars as well as the biggest actors.

Not anymore.

I don’t think the Oscars would nominate a movie like “Titanic” today if it was released.

by Anonymousreply 545January 31, 2023 5:20 AM

[quote] The scariest revaluation throughout this whole ordeal is the fact Daphne Zuniga is a member of the Academy!

They'll have to search her cavernous nostrils for clues!

by Anonymousreply 546January 31, 2023 5:23 AM

[quote] I don’t think the Oscars would nominate a movie like “Titanic” today if it was released.

And that's a BAD thing, according to you?!

by Anonymousreply 547January 31, 2023 5:24 AM

R545 Titanic would still totally get a raft of nominations, no pun intended!

by Anonymousreply 548January 31, 2023 5:24 AM

R543, if you believe DL gossip, Daphne Zuniga invented the Blu-Ray and is the power player behind the career of Steven Spielberg.

She doesn’t vote for the Oscars. She decides them.

by Anonymousreply 549January 31, 2023 5:34 AM

Zuniga is the Leona Helmsley of the Academy, and runs that place with an iron fist. Everyone knows it.

by Anonymousreply 550January 31, 2023 6:50 AM

The difference today is the lack of big, quality mainstream movies,

Mainstream movies today are mostly derivative blockbusters.

by Anonymousreply 551January 31, 2023 11:07 AM

I'd laugh my ass off if Riseborough won.

by Anonymousreply 552January 31, 2023 12:21 PM

If this investigation shit irritates us DLers, I would imagine it pisses off the actors who vote too. It’s basically censoring who they can post about on Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 553January 31, 2023 12:37 PM

If Andrea wins, then I hope someone tells Cate Blanchett, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes". LOL!!!

by Anonymousreply 554January 31, 2023 1:03 PM

[quote] If this investigation shit irritates us DLers, I would imagine it pisses off the actors who vote too. It’s basically censoring who they can post about on Instagram.

I would not imagine or assume that the viewpoints expressed here are any indication of how Academy members feel about this situation.

by Anonymousreply 555January 31, 2023 2:33 PM

If she was black do you honestly think they would be investigating?

by Anonymousreply 556January 31, 2023 2:40 PM

Director Paul Schrader, ever the shit-stirrer, says he's voting for Andrea

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557January 31, 2023 2:46 PM

Anybody know what time the meeting is today?

by Anonymousreply 558January 31, 2023 3:11 PM

Is Andrea allowed to attend the meeting and plead her case?

by Anonymousreply 559January 31, 2023 3:25 PM

The nomination industry won't be happy if Andrea's nomination holds.

by Anonymousreply 560January 31, 2023 3:31 PM

R554 thats exactly what she would deserve. She talks too much shit

by Anonymousreply 561January 31, 2023 3:38 PM

I heard Faye Dunaway is presenting the Lead Actress Oscar this year.

by Anonymousreply 562January 31, 2023 3:46 PM

R545 the field of best pics nominated is a mandatory 10 now. Titanic would definitely get in. I preferred it when it was 5, but they want to nominate some blockbusters to increase the viewership. It hasn’t done a damn thing to move the needle.

by Anonymousreply 563January 31, 2023 3:48 PM

R562 be sure she’s given the right envelope, or she’ll announce herself as the winner.

by Anonymousreply 564January 31, 2023 3:50 PM

Was Jada invited to speak at the meeting? Because there will be hell to pay and slaps to duck if she is silenced.

by Anonymousreply 565January 31, 2023 3:50 PM

Andrea has the charisma of a wet noodle. She also looks like one. However one feels about this whole mess, it isn't going to bring in viewers. We miss the glamor and excitement of movies and awards.

Another dreary angsty film starring a dreary actress who wears a hoodie on television isn't going to draw people in. Film buffs will still watch like always.

by Anonymousreply 566January 31, 2023 3:55 PM

The Oscars have just been so damn boring. And the ceremony is wayyyy too long. Just get on with the winners and cut the stupid shit out.

by Anonymousreply 567January 31, 2023 3:58 PM

Hollywood needs to find someone with the talent of Riseborough, the glamor of JLo, and the charisma of Julia Roberts or Angelina Jolie.

by Anonymousreply 568January 31, 2023 4:01 PM

R568, hello!

by Anonymousreply 569January 31, 2023 4:04 PM

r567 I agree. Just announce each category, let the winner speak, and move on to the next award. They've just filled it with so many tributes, circle jerks, and bullshit that has only made the ceremony dull.

by Anonymousreply 570January 31, 2023 4:04 PM

I've always hated this comment. Its not my style. However in this case-

Can someone SHIT in R566's mouth?

Please and thank you. Maybe a horse or an elephant could take care of it?

by Anonymousreply 571January 31, 2023 4:05 PM

R565 keep my wife's name outchur fuckin' mouf!

by Anonymousreply 572January 31, 2023 4:07 PM

R571 Andrea's soul cycle instructor shitting all over this thread about how STUPENDOUS Andrea is.

by Anonymousreply 573January 31, 2023 4:11 PM

I don't mind the Oscars running long. Horrible flyover pigs spend weeks of their lives every year watching football, us fags can devote four hours to gowns beautiful gowns

by Anonymousreply 574January 31, 2023 4:16 PM

R573- At least see the film. You can the watch Legally Blonde or some shit after to feel better-

by Anonymousreply 575January 31, 2023 4:19 PM

r574 I don't believe in football games either.

by Anonymousreply 576January 31, 2023 4:20 PM

R575 omg so true. Films about alcoholics are SO rare, unlike ditzy comedies!

by Anonymousreply 577January 31, 2023 4:25 PM

This reminds me of when ONJ was a newbie in America, not accepted in the inner circles of 'country music' since she was from 'Australia' and not Nashville, and won recognition from the Grammy Awards and Country Music Awards for her country songs she started with back then. She pissed off a lot of country music 'legends' in the 70s with her nominations and her wins - including Dolly Parton, Tammy Wynette, June Carter Cash, Waylon Jennings, etc. All because she was taking nominations and awards from 'real country singers' from Nashville. The respective academies were in a quandry on whether she should keep her nominations or not (she kept them).

by Anonymousreply 578January 31, 2023 4:31 PM

When is Jada's testimony starting?

by Anonymousreply 579January 31, 2023 4:41 PM

Is Brendad a voting member?

by Anonymousreply 580January 31, 2023 4:47 PM

[quote] She pissed off a lot of country music 'legends' in the 70s with her nominations and her wins - including Dolly Parton, Tammy Wynette, June Carter Cash, Waylon Jennings, etc.

Dolly and Tammy stood up for her. It was mostly men who were pissed off, primarily Johnny Paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 581January 31, 2023 4:58 PM

One good thing to come out of this whole ordeal:

I can almost pick Andrea Risborough out of a lineup! Like Sienna Miller before her, she’s always been a name I recognize, but her face is a completely blank slate to me. I saw W.E. I saw Nocturnal Animals. I remember her characters’ hair and clothes, even their mannerisms. But never HER.

Maybe she’s a better actress than people think.

by Anonymousreply 582January 31, 2023 5:03 PM

R557, why is that shit stirring? My only question is that I thought only actors could vote for actors--he's a writer/director.

R559, what case would she need to plead--giving a good performance that other actors loved?

by Anonymousreply 583January 31, 2023 5:16 PM

R583 - For the nominations each branch votes on their own. For the final vote the entire membership votes for everything.

by Anonymousreply 584January 31, 2023 5:20 PM

R582, Sienna Miller face blindness is real. It took me forever to realize that I actually enjoyed her as an actress, when even now I think people mostly know her as a tabloid figure from the early 2000s involved in some poorly-remembered scandal.

by Anonymousreply 585January 31, 2023 5:23 PM

So what happened at the meeting?

by Anonymousreply 586January 31, 2023 5:30 PM

It's only 10:30 in the morning. We don't even know whether the meeting has even started yet.

by Anonymousreply 587January 31, 2023 5:32 PM

I thought you weren't allowed to announce who you voted for, at least before the ceremony?

by Anonymousreply 588January 31, 2023 5:33 PM

There's no rule about that, R588.

by Anonymousreply 589January 31, 2023 5:38 PM

Do people think she'll win?

by Anonymousreply 590January 31, 2023 5:40 PM

Probably not, R590, but she stands a better chance now with all this publicity and more Academy members seeing her movie than they would have.

by Anonymousreply 591January 31, 2023 6:30 PM

I think all this pointless hoopla is going to be the best thing that happened to Andrea. Even better than the Oscar nom. Even if she gets her nomination rescinded.

Every single A list director and TV show runner is now going to watch her movie. And she's a revelation in it. She's going to get the best parts available for the next five years.

by Anonymousreply 592January 31, 2023 6:40 PM

She should win.

by Anonymousreply 593January 31, 2023 6:48 PM

Skinny white bitches always win, Jada. Never forget.

by Anonymousreply 594January 31, 2023 6:49 PM

Someone needs to start a Part 2.

by Anonymousreply 595January 31, 2023 6:58 PM

Go ahead, R595.

by Anonymousreply 596January 31, 2023 6:59 PM

Here's Part 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597January 31, 2023 7:04 PM

This is a strange and yet strangely dull Oscars controversy.

This girl's Oscar campaign was too successful in too short a time so they have to investigate her?

It's stupid. The girl managed to snag a nomination, let her be.

by Anonymousreply 598January 31, 2023 7:07 PM

“Girl”? Is she eight years old?

by Anonymousreply 599January 31, 2023 7:14 PM

600!

by Anonymousreply 600January 31, 2023 7:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!