Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Paul Pelosi attack: Police body camera video shows violent hammer assault

Video evidence of the violent attack on former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband, Paul Pelosi, was released on Friday after a judge ruled against prosecutors who sought to keep it sealed.

The footage, taken from a police body camera, shows officers knocking on the door of Pelosi’s San Francisco home on Oct. 28. When the door opens, Paul Pelosi, 82, and the alleged attacker, David DePape, 42, are seen both holding on to a hammer.

“What’s going on, man?” an officer asks.

“Everything’s good,” DePape replied.

“Drop the hammer,” the officer says to the men.

"Nope," says DePape, who then pulls the hammer away from Pelosi before striking him multiple times as police move in.

The bodycam video shows police on top of DePape as Pelosi lies on ground, not moving and struggling to breathe.

“Give me your f***ing hands,” an officer tells DePape.

Surveillance footage from an exterior camera released by the U.S. Capitol Police Friday shows DePape using a hammer to smash a glass door in the back of the Pelosi residence and climb through.

Audio from a police interview with DePape was also released.

DePape pleaded not guilty to numerous federal and state charges, including attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, false imprisonment of an elder, attempted kidnapping of a federal officer and an assault on the immediate family member of a federal officer.

According to a criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court, DePape was carrying a bag with zip ties and duct tape when he broke into the home and accosted Paul Pelosi, repeatedly asking, “Where is Nancy?”

During DePape's interview with police, he claimed his plan had been to hold Nancy Pelosi hostage and talk to her. He said that if she had told the truth, he intended to let her go but that if she had lied, he would have broken her kneecaps.

By breaking her kneecaps, DePape told police that “she would then have to be wheeled into Congress, which would show other members of Congress there were consequences to actions,” the complaint stated.

Nancy Pelosi was in Washington, D.C., and not home during the attack.

“I’m not going to say anything right now," she said when asked by reporters on Capitol Hill Friday about the newly released footage. "I may shortly.”

Paul Pelosi suffered a fractured skull and underwent surgery. He is expected to make a full recovery.

San Francisco Superior Court Judge Stephen M. Murphy ruled Wednesday that there was no reason not to release the footage to the public, especially after prosecutors played it in open court during a preliminary hearing last month.

Multiple news organizations had requested that the footage be released.

The attack led to unfounded conspiracy theories about Paul Pelosi and fears among prosecutors that any footage of the incident could be manipulated.

Thomas R. Burke, a San Francisco lawyer who represented news organizations seeking the video, said such fears should not prevent its release.

“You don't eliminate the public right of access just because of concerns about conspiracy theories,” Burke said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 29, 2023 1:01 AM

So it was the cops' fault because they fucked up the arrest?

What tools.

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2023 8:16 PM

There was no reason news organizations or the public needed to see this video.

by Anonymousreply 2January 27, 2023 8:17 PM

Agreed, r2. So bloodthirsty.

by Anonymousreply 3January 27, 2023 8:19 PM

I hadn’t realized the attacker was fat. A great big fat guy.

by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2023 8:22 PM

One cop wanted to leave and go to another address. Then they stood there and did nothing, letting the perp have all the control. Maga

by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2023 8:24 PM

I didn't watch it and I won't watch the Tyrell video. I'm smart enough to understand violence and I deplore the new agencies pursuing this. The worst kind of rubber necking.

by Anonymousreply 6January 27, 2023 8:25 PM

They want us to become numb to it, r6.

by Anonymousreply 7January 27, 2023 8:27 PM

R6, it's to give the middle finger to all the right-wingers who spread conspiracies about what happened to Pelosi. This proves they were wrong.

by Anonymousreply 8January 27, 2023 8:30 PM

Right wing faggot and Richmond area radio host John Reid was salivating at this being released but has suddenly gone radio silent.

What happened to his eagerness?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 27, 2023 8:34 PM

Brace yourself. News organizations are currently salivating for the release of the Nashville footage. It will be non-stop wall to wall coverage of horrific senseless violence played on and endless loop throughout the weekend. They can't wait to air it.

by Anonymousreply 10January 27, 2023 8:38 PM

Yes, r10.

by Anonymousreply 11January 27, 2023 8:42 PM

Memphis

by Anonymousreply 12January 27, 2023 8:48 PM

[quote]it's to give the middle finger to all the right-wingers who spread conspiracies about what happened to Pelosi. This proves they were wrong.

We should be so lucky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 27, 2023 8:51 PM

^Just as I suspected. I fucking hate MAGA/QAnon.

by Anonymousreply 14January 27, 2023 9:12 PM

Paul was obviously intoxicated. But he miraculously survived.

The footage is appalling; fat perp should be locked away forever. Not so much for what he did. But- like Jan. 6th- what was intended (in both cases, the murder of Nancy Pelosi for der Fuhrer).

by Anonymousreply 15January 27, 2023 10:07 PM

Jeeze. He is lucky he survived that.

by Anonymousreply 16January 27, 2023 10:12 PM

[quote]Paul was obviously intoxicated.

So, r15?

by Anonymousreply 17January 27, 2023 10:19 PM

How so?

by Anonymousreply 18January 27, 2023 10:21 PM

Like others I will not watch - I am surprised that the police did not open fire on the DePape as soon as he started hitting Mr. Pelosi. There are other situations with other kinds of perps where I do think the cops would have emptied their magazines.

by Anonymousreply 19January 27, 2023 10:22 PM

Too risky, r19. They would’ve hit Pelosi.

Plus, the go-to on something like that is just overpower the guy.

by Anonymousreply 20January 27, 2023 10:45 PM

Not from what I heard on the 911 call. Was very lucid, in spite of being woken up at 2 in the morning by an intruder, and had the wherewithal to give subtle hints to the emergency operator to indicate something was wrong. That was very smart.

Years ago I worked for a security company where if an alarm went off at someone’s house, you’d have to call them and verify everything was ok. The homeowner was supposed to give us a password so we would know we are indeed talking to the homeowner and the word was correct.

The first thing we were taught was that no matter what word the homeowner gave, you reacted the same way: you didn’t react at all. If the password was ‘blue’ and the person said ‘orange,’ you didn’t react at all other than to say, “Thank you, Mr. Jones, that’s it, glad everything is OK” so if someone else was on the line, they wouldn’t be tipped off. Then you called in the troops (as it were).

Paul’s 911 call reminded me of that.

by Anonymousreply 21January 27, 2023 10:53 PM

Well, because you will not watch the video and have literally no idea what you're talking about R19 - the police clearly didn't expect the attacker to suddenly attack Pelosi. When the door was opened the scene was quite calm with both the attacker and Pelosi holding the hammer in the entranceway area. They would have had no cause to draw their weapons. They were very surprised by the speed and suddenness of the hammer blow because they said so when the attack happened.

by Anonymousreply 22January 27, 2023 10:56 PM

R8 please don’t tell me you have anything but contempt for Republican pols who made fun of the incident or worse. The GOP is one of the most virulent political parties in the world in 2023. Their response to this attack by one of their own supporters was disgusting..

by Anonymousreply 23January 27, 2023 11:00 PM

Why was Paul only wearing a shirt? Who sleeps in a regular shirt and nothing else?

by Anonymousreply 24January 27, 2023 11:01 PM

useful list:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 27, 2023 11:03 PM

He was in underwear also. He was roused from a sleep, he may have heard the perp breaking in, grabbed his shirt and ran downstairs.

by Anonymousreply 26January 27, 2023 11:03 PM

That is a disgusting video. It’s extremely sad. I think they probably had to release it because people were making up a lot of rumors about the poor guy..

by Anonymousreply 27January 27, 2023 11:05 PM

Exactly R26. It was 2 am in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 28January 27, 2023 11:06 PM

[quote]Who sleeps in a regular shirt and nothing else?

Get a life, r24.

by Anonymousreply 29January 27, 2023 11:06 PM

I think he's dressed properly for a blow-job.

by Anonymousreply 30January 27, 2023 11:08 PM

It's entirely possible he put the shirt on at some point. Come on.

by Anonymousreply 31January 27, 2023 11:08 PM

How so, r15?

by Anonymousreply 32January 27, 2023 11:08 PM

Again, r24/r30 ...get a life.

by Anonymousreply 33January 27, 2023 11:10 PM

There’s also footage of the fat MAGAT breaking into the home. So, no, he wasn’t in there having sex with Paul. Fucking morons. I hate all republicans. Every last nasty one of them.

by Anonymousreply 34January 27, 2023 11:18 PM

It was terrible footage to watch & while I think it was good to put it out there to address the MAGA rumors (including the guy *breaking* into the house), there's nothing those people can't twist and distort, so no doubt MAGA- land is salivating over the sight of Pelosi answering the door in his shorts. Given the way he was attacked with a hammer, it's a wonder he's alive and doing as well as he is. As far as whether or not he was drunk, I personally didn't get that though I'm a heavy sleeper & I can't see without my glasses (and someone breaking into my home would scare the piss out of me), so I doubt I'd be lucid either.

by Anonymousreply 35January 27, 2023 11:56 PM

It's immaterial if he had been drinking or not, r35.

by Anonymousreply 36January 27, 2023 11:59 PM

He's almost 83 years old. It's 2am. At that and age and that hour you're lucky to know your own name

by Anonymousreply 37January 28, 2023 12:04 AM

Well this clearly wasn't some hookup. That's horrific and I'm so glad PP survived and recovered. Fucking awful.

by Anonymousreply 38January 28, 2023 12:21 AM

[quote]That's horrific and I'm so glad PP survived and recovered.

Well, recovering:

“Anyone who’s had a head injury knows that you have to be very careful,” Nancy Pelosi told Chris Wallace last weekend. “You have to be careful about movement. You have to be careful about light. You have to be careful about sound. And it just takes a while. You get very tired, but, you know, without going so further into it, but it takes, it will take probably another three or four months, according to the doctors, for him to be really himself.”

by Anonymousreply 39January 28, 2023 12:24 AM

I think it is fucking BIZARRE that some of you are criticizing the cops. Did you not see the same clip? Did you see how quickly that escalated? Also, hellllloooo, we all have the benefit of hindsight — the cops had zero idea of what they were walking up on. Part of being trained in de-escalation means you don’t aggressively run up to people and invade their personal space. They were trying to understand what the fuck they walked up on. Father son? Male lovers? Who was a victim? Was there any danger? It takes a full second to process a thought, ya know?

I don’t think the cops could have done any better because they simply did not understand what was happening. I expected that there would be an ongoing conversation, that’s what the news made it sound like, but that went at warp speed. It was indeed horrific.

I agree that our addiction to violence is sick, but I do think this (sadly) had to be released so people can see the truth with their own eyes. There is power in letting people see things for themselves. Think of Emmett Till’s mother and his casket photo. She was a hero for doing that, and if you don’t get it, your heart is made of coal and your mind is made of mush. I am certain Nancy and the family understand that it is extremely awful, but the footage must be released.

Don’t worry about the conspiracy loons, now they’ll just say it was doctored….but that will wake up a few of them, we can only just continue to chip away at their insanity. I cannot believe PP survived that, the intruder took a *full force* swing directly at his skull, it’s shocking that he survived. His breathing was horrific, I never thought about a violent injury making someone snore, but it makes sense. Maybe Paul was drunk (it’s likely based on shirt/shorts) but I bet being drunk saved his damn life! It dulled the pain and maybe allowed him to go unconscious quickly. I hope the intruder is in jail forever.

by Anonymousreply 40January 28, 2023 12:28 AM

Well said R40.

by Anonymousreply 41January 28, 2023 12:31 AM

I don't think he was drunk, but in the privacy of his own home he has a right to drink, so what?

by Anonymousreply 42January 28, 2023 12:33 AM

R24. Do you live in a cave? Because you’re a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 43January 28, 2023 12:33 AM

[quote]Maybe Paul was drunk (it’s likely based on shirt/shorts

Immaterial, r40. Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 44January 28, 2023 12:34 AM

R44, I beg your pardon. I did not clarify and I should have — I totally agree with you, it was not a value judgement, just an observation on what I think may have saved his life, but I should have made that clear because the Rethugs have tried to crucify PP when he is nothing but a victim,

by Anonymousreply 45January 28, 2023 12:57 AM

I eat old people’s excrement.

by Anonymousreply 46January 28, 2023 12:59 AM

Police video should always be released within 24 hours. Not releasing the video is what is responsible for wild speculation.

by Anonymousreply 47January 28, 2023 1:01 AM

True r47, but it isn’t every day that third in line to the POTUS has their spouse assassinated — there were and are national security issues that had to first be reviewed.

by Anonymousreply 48January 28, 2023 1:04 AM

[quote]there were and are national security issues that had to first be reviewed.

Paul Pelosi's underwear is a national security issue? Do better.

by Anonymousreply 49January 28, 2023 1:06 AM

[quote] There was no reason news organizations or the public needed to see this video.

I completely disagree. I'm sick of the whitewashing of reality. I think if we saw what really happens after a mass shooting, if they showed the bodies of 20 kids blown to smithereens by some maniac, politicians would start rethinking their positions about gun control. But what you get is, yellow tape, people laying down flowers, thoughts and prayers.

I think the public needs to see what these maniacs are doing and this is a perfect example.

by Anonymousreply 50January 28, 2023 1:07 AM

R50, well said.

by Anonymousreply 51January 28, 2023 1:12 AM

When the video is of police brutality, they hold the video until the police can determine what their story is and make sure everywhere will tell the same story consistently. It's a good reason to create a legal requirement of 24 hours, no exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 52January 28, 2023 1:12 AM

MAGAs claim they can't fathom a person taking their pants off and drinking a beer in the privacy of their own home. For a lot of us this is perfectly normal behavior but for them it's obvious proof of a gay sex orgy.

These people are fucking insane.

by Anonymousreply 53January 28, 2023 1:16 AM

[quote] I think if we saw what really happens after a mass shooting, if they showed the bodies of 20 kids blown to smithereens by some maniac, politicians would start rethinking their positions about gun control.

Sadly, I doubt it. If the media showed graphic video of a school shooting, the QAnon conspiracy loons would claim that the video was fake or staged. Republican politicians would criticize the media for showing the video, saying that it was insensitive to show it and was "politicizing" the shooting to promote the "liberal agenda." Then they would tell us that the carnage could have been prevented if the kids and their teachers were armed or if there was only one door to enter the building.

by Anonymousreply 54January 28, 2023 1:17 AM

[quote]Police video should always be released within 24 hours. Not releasing the video is what is responsible for wild speculation.

By ignorant fools. So fucking what? A big part of what ails the world is thinking wild speculation matters. Speculators won't learn.

by Anonymousreply 55January 28, 2023 1:18 AM

R49, I am certain they debated how many more people would not only know their address, but now the layout of the house, and yes, that’s a national security issue.

R50, when Uvalde happened, I wanted pictures released. We need to get our hands on them and shove them in politicians faces, “you believe the the right to do this to a child is more important than the child’s right to live?”

R54 I disagree, I’ve heard people debate it, it is a line the news still refuses to cross. We need them to show it.

by Anonymousreply 56January 28, 2023 1:18 AM

He was going to break her kneecaps? That is just horrifying. What a horrible cruel thing to want to do. Throw the book at this guy.

by Anonymousreply 57January 28, 2023 1:21 AM

"It's immaterial if he had been drinking or not"

Yes. It. Is. Do you know what the MAGAs are out there saying? Any number of kinky scenarios because Paul is in his underwear?

Paul has a problem with the drink. But it may have saved his life because it dulled his senses. He was amiable and chatty, instead of physical and threatening.

I just don't know why when the cops open a door and two men have their hands on a hammer- why they don't spring into action.

by Anonymousreply 58January 28, 2023 1:32 AM

I hate all those fuckers in the list Kinzinger retweeted from the Seattle Times. They are disgusting and you just know that if Democratic politician and/or their family member was murdered none of them would have any sympathy. I can see MTG being nasty right away and spouting disgusting shit in that type situation. She would be leading the charge of gross and disgusting comments.

by Anonymousreply 59January 28, 2023 1:33 AM

Because how would you know that quickly which one was the threat? That means they would have tackled and possibly tazed an elderly man because there is no way to know who is who, so they tackle both men, is that your solution?

by Anonymousreply 60January 28, 2023 1:42 AM

Release the hammer . Now. As guns come out. That’s what should have happened

by Anonymousreply 61January 28, 2023 1:52 AM

Can anyone else make sense of R61? I'm sure it means something.

Are they song lyrics?

by Anonymousreply 62January 28, 2023 2:54 AM

It's Boris and his broken English. Just ignore these morons.

by Anonymousreply 63January 28, 2023 3:07 AM

“Release the hammer, NOW!” (as guns come out).

That’s what should’ve happened.

by Anonymousreply 64January 28, 2023 3:29 AM

R24 I do.

by Anonymousreply 65January 28, 2023 8:59 AM

What do MAGA men sleep in? A lot of the men I know sleep in their underwear. The fact that Paul Pelosi was in his underwear is the least significant part of this whole scenario.

by Anonymousreply 66January 28, 2023 2:09 PM

The people saying Pelosi was obviously drunk remind me of the thread we had the night Osama bin Laden was killed, and John King was on CNN looking less than sober. He'd probably had some sleeping pill of some sort and was woken up late to come in for the breaking news, but the thread turned into this insane free-for-all about King being drunk, with long stories about his "alcoholism" being posted, and it got so bad the thread was deleted.

There are a lot of people who just get an idea into their head and they can't let it go, and they escalate and escalate until it turns into a true delusion, or in this case mass delusion.

I'm sure some people are saying "he's drunk, he's gay, he deserved it" just to "own the libs" but it's clear if you read those MAGA threads and comments that a lot of people truly believe the crazy stories they've invented.

by Anonymousreply 67January 28, 2023 2:20 PM

Can you see Paul”s boyfriend in the video too? Is he wearing undies too?

by Anonymousreply 68January 28, 2023 2:22 PM

It’s truly despicable. There is no other story but that some asshole MAGA broke into the house and hammered an elderly person in the head, almost killing him. The extent that MAGATs will go to put the blame on the victim is just typical MAGA.

by Anonymousreply 69January 28, 2023 2:30 PM

I posted there was no reason to show the video in public and I'm slightly changing my mind because I think in some instances there is real value in forcing the politicians and the public to see the reality of these things. You see that with the Tyree Nicholls video. I mean, Jesus...

In the Pelosi case I still think not because what you've got is essentially a mentally ill person acting out and showing it in public can be fairly assumed not to have any impact at all on the kind of people who spun bullshit in the first place.

What I wish is that Congress would be force fed real images of crimes like Uvalde and Nichols in private session... every awful image. Burn it in their brains.

Almost thirty years ago the Canadian serial rapist and killer Paul Bernardo was tried. He and his perv wife had filmed their captives. At trial, people could hear the audio but not see the video. It was profoundly disturbing - which is probably understating it. Sometimes I think hearing something, and left to your own imagination, is worse than seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 70January 28, 2023 3:23 PM

R53 Well, they can. They're just trying to save face.

Saying "sorry I got it wrong" is a phrase they could never utter,

by Anonymousreply 71January 28, 2023 4:09 PM

[quote] MAGAs claim they can't fathom a person taking their pants off and drinking a beer in the privacy of their own home.

Sitting around in their home in their underwear, drinking beer. Isn't that pretty much how most MAGAs spend their weekends?

by Anonymousreply 72January 28, 2023 4:11 PM

The attacker called KTVU TV from the San Francisco County Jail yesterday and apologized for not doing more damage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 28, 2023 5:37 PM

While there is a certain segment of the MAGA population that believes all the conspiracy theory bullshit because of their daily diet of Fox News, Fucker Carlson & the like, I think there is a also a larger (than we think) segment of the population that HATES Pelosi because the repigs have been vilifying her for years, she's a strong woman, democrat & of course insulted Dear Leader.

To admit that Pelosi's husband was a real victim of violence from some mentally deranged loon is to admit that hateful words, Facebook posts, etc. actually may have have resulted in real consequences and influenced a troubled person to commit a terrible act. Better to make yourself feel better about things & convince yourself that Paul is a sloppy drunk that was harmed by hookup gone awry.

by Anonymousreply 74January 28, 2023 7:13 PM

[quote]To admit that Pelosi's husband was a real victim of violence from some mentally deranged loon is to admit that hateful words, Facebook posts, etc. actually may have have resulted in real consequences and influenced a troubled person to commit a terrible act.

Yeah, a lot of this is that they want the fun of being able to post death threats and memes about how they want you to die, and they don't want to admit there are any consequences to that.

by Anonymousreply 75January 29, 2023 12:23 AM

[quote] they want the fun of being able to post death threats and memes about how they want you to die

There is a lot of that on DL, with people expressing that people they oppose politically die, be killed or be injured.

by Anonymousreply 76January 29, 2023 1:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!