Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Austin, Texas

I have been thinking of relocating down south and I always heard that Austin is one of the more liberal cities in Texas. Can any DLers currently or formally living there tell me what its like overall? And what the gay scene is like?

by Anonymousreply 58February 23, 2023 2:01 PM

Is this post from 2003 or something?

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2023 7:47 PM

No its from today R1 is there something wrong with your reading comprehension? If you are going to be rude then leave.

by Anonymousreply 2January 27, 2023 7:49 PM

[Quote]If you are going to be rude then leave.

Definitely not a DL motto.

by Anonymousreply 3January 27, 2023 7:52 PM

R3 But its the motto for this thread. I just wanted to know what the experience is like not argue and nit pick. God are DLers so bitchy lately? This place used to be funny yet informative.

by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2023 7:57 PM

OP see all these beautiful new skyscrapers? Most of them are half-empty. Austin was destroyed in the teens by wealthy developers building second homes, investment properties and money laundering havens for coastal bouges (especially the Bay Area) and the Chinese. I believe it’s now the most inflated real estate market in America.

If you have a mil to drop on a fixer upper shotgun house, and aren’t really interested in having a job, by all means, move down there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2023 7:59 PM

Second most inflated after Boise

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 27, 2023 8:01 PM

Thank you R5 and R6 for the information. That's all I asked for. I appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 7January 27, 2023 8:02 PM

It's a nice place. Lots of gays. Horrid traffic. LOTS of homeless downtown. The outskirts are beautiful, but you definitely know you are in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 8January 27, 2023 8:03 PM

R5–Some friends and I just visited and we noted how the downtown area near the river consisted almost entirely of newly constructed buildings. There was so little left that I wondered what had been in that area. Was it just residential or industrial? There were good restaurants and bars in some of the new buildings, but the area seemed a bit sterile because there was nothing old.

Outlying residential areas seemed nice. Good barbecue.

by Anonymousreply 9January 27, 2023 8:07 PM

Have you been to Hill Country, OP? It is really pretty, reminds me of California

by Anonymousreply 10January 27, 2023 8:10 PM

Just little two and three story buildings

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 27, 2023 8:11 PM

Even YEARS ago it was one of the gay capitals…I’m sure you'll find company there, Op.

by Anonymousreply 12January 27, 2023 8:15 PM

It’s too bad the older buildings downtown weren’t large enough to preserve. A street scape needs a mix of old and new to have character.

by Anonymousreply 13January 27, 2023 8:19 PM

It’s hotter than fuck in summer

by Anonymousreply 14January 27, 2023 8:21 PM

[quote]Can any DLers currently or formally living there tell me what its like overall?

Oh Dear, dear!

by Anonymousreply 15January 27, 2023 8:22 PM

Boots with tuxedos, I’m afraid. If you call that formal.

by Anonymousreply 16January 27, 2023 8:24 PM

I like Austin but it has lost something along with the upsurge in tech. The Hill country is nice.

by Anonymousreply 17January 27, 2023 8:25 PM

Austin was never a significant business center like Dallas, Houston or San Antonio so it doesn’t have nice old buildings outside the government buildings or university.

by Anonymousreply 18January 27, 2023 8:26 PM

Caftans and crinolines.

by Anonymousreply 19January 27, 2023 8:26 PM

I moved to Austin in 1994 when I was 22. I fell in love with Austin right away. It's not what it used to be. Overpriced, horrendous traffic, high rent and expensive homes. It is a liberal city and gay friendly and good restaurants, but you are still in a red state. Mild winters and very hot summers. Yes, the hill country is really nice. Austin has lost it's charm that I fell in love with. But, it's home and the only place I can tolerate living in Texas. I'm a native Texan btw.

by Anonymousreply 20January 27, 2023 8:32 PM

MARY! R15 go take your anxiety meds. You're becoming a hysterical queen.

by Anonymousreply 21January 27, 2023 8:56 PM

I briefly lived in Austin in the late 80's and it was a blast. It was still a great place to be in the 90's when SXSW was taking off. I went there before the pandemic and was surprised to see how much it had grown and, my God, the traffic was hideous (and I lived in LA at the time.) I entertained moving there recently but found that San Antonio/Boerne was more affordable and Austin wasn't that far away.

by Anonymousreply 22January 27, 2023 9:18 PM

Second everyone who says the traffic is horrible. Austin has lost it's charm.

OP, you might consider Eureka Springs, AR. Much more affordable, nice gay community, nice art community and the weather is a bit more tolerable in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 23January 27, 2023 9:58 PM

what about Houston?

by Anonymousreply 24January 27, 2023 10:17 PM

Houston is a mess. Used to be a great place to live but it has really gone into the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 25January 27, 2023 10:20 PM

Yes, but unfortunately it's surrounded by this hellhole known as Texas.

by Anonymousreply 26January 27, 2023 10:40 PM

I live in Houston and the traffic has gotten horrendous. Still fantastic dining though.

by Anonymousreply 27January 27, 2023 10:50 PM

A half mil for a basic single story 3bedroom house in the burbs. Traffic like you cannot believe and constant road construction.

by Anonymousreply 28January 28, 2023 12:54 AM

Houston is bustling, eccentric Southern city. It is basically in a jungle swamp which I think makes it fascinating but one of the things that gives Houston its massive inferiority complex. The air does not move in the summer.

Dallas is basically a Midwestern city but more stereotypically Texan for better or for worse. I would live in either of them before I live in Austin, which is basically a bourgeois Potemkin village at this point.

by Anonymousreply 29January 28, 2023 12:57 AM

Does San Antonio have the bad traffic and overvalued real estate that Austin has? San Antonio might be the place to move to.

by Anonymousreply 30January 28, 2023 5:05 AM

R30 Traffic is bad but I had a friend who lived on the outskirts and it was very nice where he lived. Not sure about real estate.

by Anonymousreply 31January 28, 2023 5:55 PM

[quote]It's not what it used to be.

This. I had a bunch of FBs who went to UT and they all raved about how great Austin was but that was in the early 90s. Now it's overcrowded, overpriced and the traffic is appalling.

I had a job offer there a few years ago for what sounded like a good salary, but when I started looking at housing prices, I realized I'd have to live in a van down by the river.

by Anonymousreply 32January 28, 2023 6:07 PM

[quote]I had a job offer there a few years ago for what sounded like a good salary, but when I started looking at housing prices, I realized I'd have to live in a van down by the river.

Where do you live now, gurl?

by Anonymousreply 33January 28, 2023 6:38 PM

People are eating out of dumpsters there!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 6, 2023 8:41 PM

Really consider the heat and humidity, OP. Worse than New Orleans. And it doesn't cool off at night.

by Anonymousreply 35February 6, 2023 8:53 PM

Oh I think New Orleans is way worse. I'm from Houston and last time I visited NO in summer I thought I would pass out. Austin is a bit drier too.

by Anonymousreply 36February 6, 2023 9:25 PM

OP. You can go dancing at Pearl Street Warehouse. I did in 1978.

by Anonymousreply 37February 6, 2023 9:30 PM

Austin is not humid you freaking dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 38February 6, 2023 9:31 PM

Austin is beyond humid at times. It is a sweat box in the summer. Have you been there?

by Anonymousreply 39February 6, 2023 9:32 PM

Austin can get very humid. As a matter of fact it's humid right now!

by Anonymousreply 40February 7, 2023 6:48 PM

I just saw this and thought of this thread

This is the kind of person who has destroyed Austin Texas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41February 22, 2023 10:40 AM

“I’m normally a red wine girly”

Bowels instantly evacuates

by Anonymousreply 42February 22, 2023 10:41 AM

R41 Yes, thank you!

Austinite

by Anonymousreply 43February 22, 2023 7:13 PM

“Off on our hot girl walk”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44February 22, 2023 7:22 PM

It’s where California libertarians move when they “don’t want to raise their kids here.”

Aren’t Uber and Lyft still banned in Austin? That + lack of public transportation seems like a DUI waiting to happen.

by Anonymousreply 45February 22, 2023 7:25 PM

Are there ANY mid size American cities that have improved in the past decade or two? Everyplace seems to have degraded

by Anonymousreply 46February 22, 2023 7:40 PM

I used Uber or Lyft last time I was there R45 which was about 2-3 years?

by Anonymousreply 47February 22, 2023 7:49 PM

Austin is pretentious, hot, and expensive. Also, you'll get homeless people shitting on your lawn, and car traffic that rivals Los Angeles.

Save your money and move to Fort Worth, Tucson, Reno, or Atlanta. They're all still trashy, but at least they're cheaper so you'll have extra cash to spend on liquor and a tall fence!

by Anonymousreply 48February 22, 2023 7:50 PM

Check out the state political scene and also the local political scene before you make a jump to ANYWHERE!

by Anonymousreply 49February 22, 2023 7:58 PM

I don't care how nice it is -- Texas, like Florida, is a HARD PASS.

by Anonymousreply 50February 22, 2023 8:08 PM

It's 90 degrees today. Two years ago this week was snowmageddon when most of the city was without power and the temperatures were far below freezing for several days.

by Anonymousreply 51February 22, 2023 9:33 PM

Uber and Lyft are back in Austin.

Austinites: What's the summer situation like there in mid June? Is tubing still a thing there on the river "Lake Austin" ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 22, 2023 9:49 PM

Here’s another of these bitches

I don’t think Houston has them. Dallas, maybe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 22, 2023 10:15 PM

It’s like all the Alexis Rose clones set up a colony

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 22, 2023 10:20 PM

OMG The vocal fry

“That’s a LAAAAHT of TAAAAAHCOES”

Comments are torching her for the garish decor, shitty quality of Torchy’s and awful wages of employees. But House is a good metaphor for what Austin has become.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 22, 2023 10:27 PM

Is Austin the douchebag capital of the US? So many tech bros and hipster tryhards, and Elon and Joe Rogan live there

by Anonymousreply 56February 23, 2023 1:51 PM

Your governor, lieutenant governor, and US senator would be known conservative crackpots Abbott, Patrick, and Cruz so proceed at your own risk.

by Anonymousreply 57February 23, 2023 1:55 PM

It could arguably be the douchebag capitol

The Bay Area has more douches per capital but that is tempered by the presence of San Francisco and it’s important cultural and historical legacy

Austin doesn’t have that, just the douches

by Anonymousreply 58February 23, 2023 2:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!