Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Monogamous Gay Men Can Give Blood

That's the idea, anyway: the FDA proposed new guidelines today that would no longer require gay and bisexual men in monogamous relationships to abstain from sex before donating blood.

Of course, DL says there's no such thing as a monogamous gay relationship, so I hope the FDA isn't counting on solving the blood shortage this way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 30, 2023 8:22 AM

This may sound harsh. They didn't want my blood then (I have been monogamous for 33+ years with my boyfriend/now-husband). And they won't get it now.

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2023 6:12 PM

The plan to ensure monogamy may be to make sure all of the male blood donors use a menstruation tracking app linked directly to the cops, lol. I would like to see the proposed definition of monogamy. That’s what high school female athletes have to do in Floriduh now ( required to use a tracking app). All jokes aside, it may be a way to make a play to interfere with the lives of gay people.

by Anonymousreply 2January 27, 2023 6:34 PM

I haven’t been monogamous since I hit puberty.

by Anonymousreply 3January 27, 2023 6:36 PM

Why are straight couples exempt?

by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2023 6:36 PM

The FDA allows men to avoid any of these questions anyway by saying they identify as female.

by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2023 6:38 PM

[quote]I would like to see the proposed definition of monogamy.

A DLer once wrote that he and his husband were monogamous because they only had sex with other people in the presence of each other.

I'm going to guess that will not the meet the FDA definition of monogamous.

by Anonymousreply 6January 27, 2023 6:44 PM

Why would gay men suddenly wish to contribute to something they've been forbidden from doing. As if we were dirty, unlike breeders.

by Anonymousreply 7January 27, 2023 11:52 PM

Here here, r1 and r7!

I feel the exact same way. Sorry, not sorry.

by Anonymousreply 8January 27, 2023 11:58 PM

[quote]Why are straight couples exempt?

From what I’ve heard, they will be asking anyone and everyone who donates the same questions. Not just gays, but men and women regardless of their orientation.

by Anonymousreply 9January 27, 2023 11:59 PM

Yeah. All 3 of them.

by Anonymousreply 10January 28, 2023 12:10 AM

The FDA is having a harder time finding exclusively straight men these days. 😂

by Anonymousreply 11January 28, 2023 5:49 PM

I always bottom. Does that make me monogamous?

by Anonymousreply 12January 28, 2023 6:54 PM

What about "they's"?

by Anonymousreply 13January 28, 2023 6:56 PM

This is rather stupid/pointless. Anyone can simply say they are in a monogamous relationship. And even if they truly currently are, that doesn't mean they weren't major whores in prior years.

I've known so many people gay, bi, and straight that regularly donate blood to fund their heroin addictions. Most of them are sharing needles and engaging in unsafe practices all along.

by Anonymousreply 14January 28, 2023 7:52 PM

I thought people didn’t get paid for whole blood donation, only for plasma.

by Anonymousreply 15January 28, 2023 8:13 PM

[quote] Anyone can simply say they are in a monogamous relationship.

Anyone can say they‘ve never had sex with a man, or that they haven’t done so in the last year.

by Anonymousreply 16January 28, 2023 8:26 PM

How many gay men are "monogamous?" Very few. VERY few.

by Anonymousreply 17January 28, 2023 8:30 PM

How would they ever be sure of any of this? Are they checking the blood or not?

by Anonymousreply 18January 28, 2023 9:00 PM

[quote] Why would gay men suddenly wish to contribute to something they've been forbidden from doing. As if we were dirty, unlike breeders.

Gays need blood transfusions too, stupid.

by Anonymousreply 19January 28, 2023 9:01 PM

So we have to be monogamous, but breeders don't?

And this is seen as an improvement??

I'm a leukemia survivor, which is a lifelong ban from blood donation, but it still bugs me...

by Anonymousreply 20January 28, 2023 9:38 PM

If they can't determine whether a blood donation has HIV or AIDS or Hep C or anything else, then they have no business collecting it and distributing it. What is this- 1923?

by Anonymousreply 21January 28, 2023 9:42 PM

[quote]How many gay men are "monogamous?" Very few. VERY few.

So, perhaps not many. But those of us in long-term relationships and--after discussing and dismissing the idea of "open" relationships--have decided as a couple to remain monogamous are.

I'm not judging. But it's meaningful to me that my relationship has remained solid for ⅓ of a century, and counting.

by Anonymousreply 22January 28, 2023 9:45 PM

The blood is all tested for all these diseases anyway, so all of this is political and moot.

by Anonymousreply 23January 28, 2023 9:49 PM

This has been my excuse not to give blood since I can remember.

Now I actually have to think ethically about it.

by Anonymousreply 24January 28, 2023 9:51 PM

Not so fast, R23. There is a window between infection and the ability of tests to detect it. Blood donated during that window will test negative and get used.

by Anonymousreply 25January 28, 2023 9:55 PM

I’m monogamous!

by Anonymousreply 26January 28, 2023 10:04 PM

That’s only cause don’t nobody wanna fuck your fat ass, “George.”

by Anonymousreply 27January 28, 2023 10:07 PM

They are desperate.....

by Anonymousreply 28January 28, 2023 10:13 PM

Well apparently blood donations have dried up (as it were) over the last few years. COVID, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 29January 28, 2023 10:14 PM

[quote]Monogamous Gay Men Can Give Blood

So, gay men still can't give blood?

by Anonymousreply 30January 28, 2023 10:17 PM

oh pleez R30

half of DL is gay and celibate

by Anonymousreply 31January 28, 2023 10:19 PM

Half is being generous. 10% are over 50 and have never had sexual contact with another person.

by Anonymousreply 32January 28, 2023 10:29 PM

[quote]half of DL is gay and celibate

Even if 100% of DL were celibate and never had sex, that would have a neglible impact on the percentage of gay men in the US who could donate blood.

What, do you think that there are a million DLers running around?

We don't skew the numbers in a meaningful fashion when it comes to whoring around.

by Anonymousreply 33January 30, 2023 12:57 AM

They should take blood from men on PrEP. That they could check. Do gay men donating have to provide proof of an HIV test result?

by Anonymousreply 34January 30, 2023 8:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!