Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Turner Classic Movies hosts allay fears for network's future

Will you be sad if the channel goes under?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 27, 2023 6:55 PM

Yes, even with some of the changes they've made, it's a national treasure

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2023 3:51 PM

I used to enjoy TCM. When I switched cable providers about five years ago, I was shocked to discover that they didn't offer TCM on their service - not even as an 'add on feature' to subscribe to (my previous provider included it for free in every package). I haven't checked in a while - I should see if it's part of their services these days (they've gone through so many changes over the past years, including dropping 'MeTV' for something inferior. All to keep prices 'low'.

by Anonymousreply 2January 27, 2023 3:58 PM

R2 many cable networks dropped a lot of channels in recent years to lower costs because less and less people have cable now. TCM is no longer available with all providers and is an add on for some.

by Anonymousreply 3January 27, 2023 4:12 PM

National treasures don't matter. If some billionaire CEO can make 5 bucks off the deal in a merger/acquisition, TCM will be destroyed. Makes you despair for capitalism. So much business taken over and merged into fewer and fewer enormous soulless corporations. So much capital in the hands of so few people.

by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2023 4:22 PM

If TCM would offer a streaming service, I would subscribe. I don't know why they don't go that route.

by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2023 4:31 PM

I love TCM and have it on 24/7 on mite for the cats. I love to see what's on every time I pass by the LR. If the get rid of YCM channel I will cancel my cable and pick up whatever it's streaming on. But it won't be the same!!

by Anonymousreply 6January 27, 2023 4:31 PM

Why would anyone want to watch a bunch of crummy old movies from 80 years ago when you can watch such high toned and enlightened entertainment as "1000 Pound Sisters," "1000 Pound Best Friends," "My Six Hundred Pound Life," "90 Day Fiance," "Doctor Pimple Popper," "I Am Jazz," "My Big, Fat, Fabulous Life," and "Hoarding, Buried Alive."

by Anonymousreply 7January 27, 2023 4:31 PM

Another worrisome sign:

TCM is no longer hosting Fathom Events’ classic movie series.

Fathom has hired Leonard Maltin to do post-film commentary.

No more Ben intros and outros.

by Anonymousreply 8January 27, 2023 4:46 PM

If something happens to TCM then my television days are over. TCM is the last place where I think there is any class, art, or beauty left on that dismissal little box. It is on 24/7 in my house as well.

by Anonymousreply 9January 27, 2023 4:58 PM

Sure it is.

by Anonymousreply 10January 27, 2023 5:00 PM

My fave channel. Love love Ben Mankiewicz.

by Anonymousreply 11January 27, 2023 6:04 PM

In all likelihood the brand will probably die following the anticipated WDB acquisition by Comcast

It will probably be relaunched as Universal Classics or something

Their library will encompass basically half of everything Hollywood ever produced

by Anonymousreply 12January 27, 2023 6:22 PM

[quote]If TCM would offer a streaming service, I would subscribe. I don't know why they don't go that route.

They did, it was called Filmstruck and it was fabulous, and AT&T destroyed it because they wanted to silo all their content into HBO Max.

by Anonymousreply 13January 27, 2023 6:31 PM

R12 didn’t read the article. ☹️

Nothing like giving an opinion based upon nothing.

by Anonymousreply 14January 27, 2023 6:38 PM

They do have a streaming app. I have it on my Roku, but because I have it on cable as well, I don't pay extra.

by Anonymousreply 15January 27, 2023 6:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!