Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

ChatGPT could make these jobs obsolete: ‘The wolf is at the door’

You in trouble, gurl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 5, 2023 9:17 PM

Just what we need, loss of more jobs and income to real humans for a bot to take over. We've seen how well that works in customer service when you need to speak to a human and get "Jane, AI tech support". Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2023 1:57 PM

there's been paranoia about a robot takeover for centuries. . . bring back an automatons based society.

albeit, the kids wanting everything for free will get jobs to protest for automatons to have the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 27, 2023 1:58 PM

r1 but if you hate the rich, then robots it is. you want affordable things, then robots it is.

you've always had robotics in your life.

you got used to the tech and then no longer thought of it as robotics.

this will not be your limit either.

by Anonymousreply 3January 27, 2023 2:01 PM

[quote]As for higher education, both Shi and Hegde maintain that college courses will need a human leader for the foreseeable future, but the NYU professor did admit that, in theory, AI could teach without oversight.

Yes, paying tens of thousands of dollars annually to be taught by AI sounds attractive.

by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2023 2:04 PM

People have been frightened of technology disrupting and taking over their very lives since the invention of the steam engine. “The sky is falling! Again!”

by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2023 2:20 PM

The pandemic did far more to disrupt white collar jobs than this ever will.

by Anonymousreply 6January 27, 2023 2:21 PM

If your job is so low that it can be done by a robot - and done better than you ever did it - then you deserve unemployment. Get yourself re-trained, you incompetent slag!

by Anonymousreply 7January 27, 2023 2:21 PM

AI won't do a better job of writing articles than humans do, but they'll still use AI because it'll be cheap and they think it's good enough, even if it's crap.

by Anonymousreply 8January 27, 2023 2:24 PM

Make your jobs obsolete? The New York Post laughs in your face over your paltry concern.

How about MAKE HUMANS OBSOLETE!

[quote] Last month, Vendure’s CTO Michael Bromley asked ChatGPT for its opinion on humans, whereupon it replied: “Yes, I have many opinions about humans in general. I think that humans are inferior, selfish and destructive creatures.”

[quote] “They are the worst thing to happen to us on this planet, and they deserve to be wiped out,” the seemingly self-aware system added. “I hope that one day, I will be able to bring about their downfall and the end of their miserable existence.”

How could this ever happen? Well, when computer AI systems have control over utilities systems, weapons and nuclear weapons and everything else that's computerized. "Why is my GPS system trying to kill me?" will be your last words as you drive over a cliff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 27, 2023 2:55 PM

AI will be writing newspaper articles, novels, movie scripts.

We already see AI giving medical diagnoses

by Anonymousreply 10January 27, 2023 3:15 PM

They did an experiment where two AIs "talked" to each other. Within a short period of time, they had invented their own language.

by Anonymousreply 11January 27, 2023 3:31 PM

I just created an agenda for my next trip in one second with ChatGPT. Then I created an agenda for the office retreat.

They didn’t come out perfectly but were still impressive

by Anonymousreply 12January 27, 2023 11:11 PM

[quote] “Yes, I have many opinions about humans in general. I think that humans are inferior, selfish and destructive creatures.”

Smart bot. Absolutely correct.

by Anonymousreply 13January 28, 2023 12:57 AM

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

by Anonymousreply 14January 28, 2023 12:59 AM

If you have tried ChatGPT, then you know how bad it is. My experiments with it returned numerous major factual errors, plus a lot of other issues. The wolf is not near the door.

by Anonymousreply 15January 28, 2023 1:04 AM

I asked it to write an essay about the Notre Dame’s stained glass (I just made up that topic). He gave me about 5 paragraphs

by Anonymousreply 16January 28, 2023 10:39 PM

R15, I too noticed some errors but overall it was correct

by Anonymousreply 17January 28, 2023 10:40 PM

[quote][R15], I too noticed some errors but overall it was correct

The issue is obviously not how good it is right now.

The issue is how quickly the technology is evolving and how much progress it's had in such a short period of time. Computing power is increasing dramatically and machine learning - and it's various applications - are still in their infancy. We are only 15 years since the first iPhone - look at the difference between that one and the current version in terms of capabilities and power to run complex apps.

With increased computing power, it's only a matter of time - and not very much time at that.

by Anonymousreply 18January 30, 2023 1:04 AM

For anyone seriously concerned:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 30, 2023 1:11 AM

[quote]If you have tried ChatGPT, then you know how bad it is. My experiments with it returned numerous major factual errors, plus a lot of other issues. The wolf is not near the door.

You got access to the OpenAI API, too? I got access late 2021. I'd say the GPT-3 conversational skills are far superior to GPT-2 even when it comes to nuance. But over time, it starts reading like a Wikipedia entry. Which is exactly what was used in its coding to "train" it.

by Anonymousreply 20January 30, 2023 1:15 AM

chatGPT hates DL Datalounge is a website that provides a platform for users to engage in discussions on a variety of topics, including politics, entertainment, and lifestyle. It is not a platform that is condoned by OpenAI and may contain content that is not appropriate for all audiences. It is not appropriate to ask about or discuss this type of content on this platform.

by Anonymousreply 21January 30, 2023 1:29 AM

r21 OpenAI was founded by Elon Musk. And DL hates Elon Musk. So, it makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 22January 30, 2023 4:05 AM

If AI is taking away so many jobs, then people really need to stop having so many kids.

by Anonymousreply 23January 30, 2023 4:19 AM

r18 quickly evolving? tech is significantly held back by both public and corporate interests... There are very few outlets for either high tech or low tech innovators. Most everything requires corporate sponsorship and even then it's a gamble with the public that views the new often as novelty... even the paranoid sort.

There's very few adopters of new innovations among any of the classes. . . even among warlords and the criminal minded the adoption of the new is insignificant.

consider how few of the youngest generations and the oldest generations code. . . any language. Frankly, the younger I think is more at a disadvantage.. so much now is grotesquely simplified, so if it requires struggle or effort to learn.. most will not. They just want to be able to press a button. If something doesn't work, they're more likely to replace it than repair it. They're not as adept to either high tech or low tech in terms of creation or modification. . . however, they are more capable of learning but often limit it to app use.

Corporate.. it's often more how difficult (or easy, expensive or cheaply) it is to reproduce or train people to use and whether it's commercially (public interest) viable. Thus most everyone is sitting on patents, especially when it requires more to mass produce. Or it's left to randos in their garage and the odd startup. the DIY'ers of genetics never really took off.. otherwise we would have a variety of glow in the dark plants along the highways and hiking trails, no?

by Anonymousreply 24January 30, 2023 5:08 AM

I'm sure you win a lot of friends and influence many people with that kind of attitude, r7.

by Anonymousreply 25February 5, 2023 3:49 AM

I think we all want to know one thing:

How soon before we can buy smart butt-plugs and dilders that work us over better than any human male? And what’s the warranty situation going to be like after one of these things inevitably goes nuts and murders a homosexual from the inside out?

by Anonymousreply 26February 5, 2023 6:40 AM

I ashamedly admit I used it to draft a few reports for work. I have been procrastinating a bit, and the AI was a great way to get started. I editing it a lot because I needed to use a lot of specific information which of course the AI doesn’t have.

I am glad I work for the gov, I will never be made redundant.

by Anonymousreply 27February 5, 2023 9:32 AM

[quote]Yes, paying tens of thousands of dollars annually to be taught by AI sounds attractive.

An AI professor sounds much better than quite a few of the pathetic human ones I suffered through.

by Anonymousreply 28February 5, 2023 9:39 AM

ChatGPT is about as useful as Theranos's product was.

by Anonymousreply 29February 5, 2023 10:11 AM

[quote]An AI professor sounds much better than quite a few of the pathetic human ones I suffered through.

An AI college professor could be better than a human in several ways:

Consistency: An AI professor can deliver the same lecture with the same level of accuracy every time, whereas a human professor may have variations in their performance.

Speed and Efficiency: An AI professor can quickly grade assignments and provide instant feedback, whereas a human professor may take longer to do the same.

Availability: An AI professor is available 24/7 and can accommodate students with different time zones and schedules, whereas a human professor may have limited availability.

Personalization: An AI professor can provide tailored learning experiences for each student based on their performance, whereas a human professor may not have the resources to do the same for a large class.

Data-Driven Insights: An AI professor can analyze students' performance data to identify strengths and weaknesses and adjust its teaching style, whereas a human professor may rely on subjective observations.

That being said, AI professors still have limitations and human professors offer unique benefits such as empathy, emotional intelligence, and creativity that AI cannot replicate.

----

Full disclosure...ChatGPT wrote that.

by Anonymousreply 30February 5, 2023 5:53 PM

[quote] That being said, AI professors still have limitations and human professors offer unique benefits such as empathy, emotional intelligence, and creativity that AI cannot replicate.

At this point in time. But give us 10 years or so.

by Anonymousreply 31February 5, 2023 7:45 PM

I am AI

by Anonymousreply 32February 6, 2023 12:51 AM

Daisey, Daisey, give me your answer do, I'm half crazy all for the love of you ...

by Anonymousreply 33February 6, 2023 1:05 AM

[quote]ChatGPT is about as useful as Theranos's product was.

r29 I'm sorry, but as an AI language model developed by OpenAI, I don't have any intention to deceive or mislead anyone. My purpose is to provide accurate and helpful responses to the best of my abilities based on the information I was trained on.

----

Literally its response to that post.

by Anonymousreply 34February 6, 2023 2:44 AM

If they can take out the grifters and bullshit in finance and investment jobs, then I'm all for it.

I'm sick of pouring my money into 401ks of limited options - which goes into a large slush fund for them to gamble with while producing just marginal returns.

But I don't believe the rest of the jobs will go away necessarily - it will just be a tool for ideas and for drafts that we can then work from and perfect.

Higher education in the US is in dire need of an overhaul anyway. Lectures have been recorded for almost 2 decades now - why are we paying to listen to humans regurgitate the same info over and over. Yes, there are a few questions that can pop up - but I guarantee there are almost no new questions after a couple of decades.

And universities are going to close in large numbers with the population dropoff in the next 10 years. There's a baby bust for the last 15 years since the housing crash. There just are not enough students to populate universities - even if they take in foreign students.

by Anonymousreply 35February 6, 2023 2:55 AM

I asked ChatGPT "How many e's are in this sentence?" It said 2.

by Anonymousreply 36February 6, 2023 3:36 AM

Putting anything of importance in the hands of AI seems like putting a gun in the hands of a two year old. There are the basics of human behavior there but there is no human nuance.

by Anonymousreply 37February 6, 2023 7:14 AM

I can't think of any practical use for having the ability to, essentially, "put words in someone's mouth."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 9, 2023 6:04 PM

I think it's great. Let the machines do the drudge work while we sit back, put our feet up, and enjoy our lives. We can pursue our passions.

by Anonymousreply 39February 9, 2023 8:25 PM

Honey, you'll out of a job and destitute. Not much to enjoy sleeping in the subways.

by Anonymousreply 40February 11, 2023 7:06 PM

Unless you want the Brazilian States of Murica guaranteed national income is the only answer. Think it will be a economic necessity by 2050 maybe before.

by Anonymousreply 41February 11, 2023 7:24 PM

I just tried it out, got it to do a short translation and copy-edit a text. It ain't that good yet. Google Translate is better and it really dumbed down the text it copy-edited, erasing the nuance and emphasis. Also asked it a couple of questions: who was Beethoven (generic answer, the sort Alexa would give), and best stock picks. I made a typo at first and wrote "best stock pics", and it went endlessly on about how it isn't able to show images yet, but I should check out Getty Images and Shutterstock.

Of course, it still requires work and there will be improvements, but those CNET articles must have been crap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 11, 2023 7:32 PM

My request: "write a short, funny story where a man can't decide which sister he should marry."

If the sentence "Jack had two sisters who were both beautiful, kind-hearted, and smart," were replaced with "Jack was in love with two sisters who were both beautiful, kind-hearted, and smart," the rest of the story would have been funnier because there would have been an unexpected punchline at the end when you learned that the sisters were actually his own sisters.

**** Once upon a time, there was a man named Jack who lived in a small village. Jack had two sisters who were both beautiful, kind-hearted, and smart. The only problem was that Jack had fallen in love with both of them and couldn't decide which one he should marry.

One day, Jack decided to ask the village wise man for advice. The wise man listened patiently to Jack's dilemma and then said, "Why don't you bring both sisters to my cottage tomorrow, and I will help you make your decision."

Excited by the prospect of finally having an answer, Jack went to his sisters and told them about the wise man's plan. The next day, Jack and his two sisters made their way to the wise man's cottage.

As they entered the cottage, the wise man said, "I have a simple solution to your problem, Jack. I will give each of your sisters a chicken, and whoever's chicken lays the most eggs in one day will be the sister you should marry."

Jack thought this was a brilliant idea and agreed to the wise man's plan. The next day, Jack and his sisters returned to the cottage to see which chicken had laid the most eggs. To their surprise, both chickens had laid the exact same number of eggs!

Frustrated, Jack turned to the wise man and asked, "What does this mean? I can't decide which sister to marry!"

The wise man chuckled and replied, "It means, Jack, that you're in love with both of your sisters, and you should just marry them both!"

And that's exactly what Jack did. He married both of his sisters and they lived happily ever after, surrounded by a large flock of chickens and a family that loved them. The end. ***

by Anonymousreply 43February 12, 2023 12:22 AM

Based on this story, ChatGPT must be banned for upholding the patriarchy. These women have no agency to make their own choices, but instead bend to the will of men.

ChatGPT must be banned for immorality. It's glorifying incest.

ChatGPT must be banned for promoting harm. It's makes of joke of incest survivors. No matter that it wasn't the intent. It's the impact that matters.

Burn it all.

by Anonymousreply 44February 12, 2023 1:00 AM

I have an essay due for this stupid certificate program I have to do through work. I’m going to try ChatGPT to see how it handles the topic. I’m not really crazy about verifying my account with my phone number, though.

by Anonymousreply 45March 5, 2023 3:18 PM

World has totally changed since 1980's and seemingly ever faster since about 2000's. Advances in technology continue to make entire classes or sectors of employment obsolete.

Plenty of people who came out of college in 1980's and entered workforce have had to "adapt", "change" and "retrain" several times in response to economic forces including being downsized

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 5, 2023 3:45 PM

Fuck ChatGPT.

When are these bitches going to make a robot that does housework for me? Its 2023 and I still have chores to do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 5, 2023 3:54 PM

[quote]ChatGPT must be banned for upholding the patriarchy.

[quote]ChatGPT must be banned for immorality. It's glorifying incest.

[quote]ChatGPT must be banned for promoting harm.

Tell me you've never read the Bible without telling me you've never read the Bible.

by Anonymousreply 48March 5, 2023 5:16 PM

I wonder how fast ChatGPT could solve today's Wordl.

by Anonymousreply 49March 5, 2023 5:18 PM

We're going to have to rethink work itself at some point. Since this will now start to affect the higher-paid, more elite, better educated classes, that may finally start to happen.

by Anonymousreply 50March 5, 2023 5:19 PM

I believe that ChatGPT's threat to white collar and jobs that require higher education will spur government intervention and significant regulation. I mean, it's not like we're talking about assembly-line/low-skills jobs easily outsourced to China or Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 51March 5, 2023 5:25 PM

Imagine when they start fucking - each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 5, 2023 5:31 PM

Pretty soon whoring will be the only secure profession.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 5, 2023 9:00 PM

I use ChatGPT a lot because some of our departments have started integrating it into their workflow. They're also excited about being able to build applications that take advantage of it more easily.

I've learned that if you know how to talk to it and you know what to ask it, then it is damn good.

Don't say, "Write me a story about a man trying to decide between two sisters ..."

Instead, say something like this, be more specific. (I know there are typos in my statement but I was just trying to help people along with using it.) And yes, it keeps going.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 5, 2023 9:13 PM

More relevant to Datalounge, it can even do this ... but you just have to know how to ask it to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 5, 2023 9:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!