Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Five Memphis police officers charged with homicide

Tyre Nichols, 29, who was black, died three days after his arrest on 7 January for alleged reckless driving.

The officers, who are all black, also face charges of aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping, official misconduct and official oppression.

The family of Mr Nichols say an autopsy indicates he was severely beaten.

US President Joe Biden called for "peaceful protest" as authorities prepare to release the footage on Friday evening local time.

The city's police chief earlier also urged people to remain calm once the clip is made public.

"This is not just a professional failing," Cerelyn Davis, who is the first black woman to serve as the city's police chief, said of the ex-officers' alleged conduct.

"This is a failing of basic humanity toward another individual."

The five officers, all of whom joined the Memphis Police Department in the last six years, were fired last week after an investigation found them to be "directly responsible for the physical abuse of Mr Nichols".

Tadarrius Bean, Demetrius Haley, Desmond Mills Jr, Emmitt Martin III and Justin Smith are all in custody, jail records show. All five former cops were detained on bonds of up to $350,000.

Police bodycam footage of the incident will be released sometime after 6pm Central Time on Friday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353February 8, 2023 11:44 AM

Has the video of this been released yet? I was under the impression this video was to be released to the general public, today.

If anyone has a link to it, kindly, please link it.

TIA!

What a horrendous state of affairs we exist in, when Uncle Toms, become cops.

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2023 4:38 AM

My mistake. I just learned the video will be released, tomorrow, late afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 2January 27, 2023 4:42 AM

Check this press conference out… 👇🏼

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 27, 2023 4:46 AM

Funny, I haven't heard anything about this case of police brutality until this sentencing.

by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2023 4:58 AM

Of course, now it makes sense.

When I heard that all 5 cops were arrested and being charged for murder of a black man, I was genuinely surprised.

But then earlier today I saw a picture of the cops… they’re all black!

What kind of fucked up shit is this!

No wonder they were all charged and arrested. Not even as cops can black people be safe from police consequences.

I’m not saying this correctly, I know, but it seems fucked up all around.

What kind of assholes beat up a defenseless person? They’re all gonna rot in jail, I’m sure.

If anybody can put this more succinctly, please do.

by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2023 5:12 AM

So many careers require continuing education classes, why not the police as well? They could all use annual or biennial anger management courses. Too many cops seem to lose it when they're being disrespected. They need the mental tools to deal with that.

R4, it just happened and the five cops are being charged. Body cam is being released tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 6January 27, 2023 5:12 AM

Or what he says:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 27, 2023 5:19 AM

R5 is determined to find a racist angle in a story about five black guys who beat another black guy to death.

by Anonymousreply 8January 27, 2023 5:32 AM

If the cops were white, America would be on the brink of a civil war....

by Anonymousreply 9January 27, 2023 6:16 AM

I am not from US and don’t know much about that matter, but are all these cases of police brutality caused by racism or just from the statistical fact that the majority of murders, robbers and gang members are black and that they frequently resist the arrest and fight back the police and pose bigger danger?

I know there are many innocent victims of police brutality, but is every black man caught in cross fire with police innocent? Cause I don’t believe that these five black men all suffer from internalized racism.

by Anonymousreply 10January 27, 2023 8:23 AM

[quote]Cause I don’t believe that these five black men all suffer from internalized racism.

R10, for some perspective, read the bottom linked tweet R7 posted which says:

[quote]I feel like people who are *surprised* that the cops who did this are black are about to learn a part of "the Talk" that my parents at least always emphasized: [bold]The race of a cop is "cop."[/bold] *Never* be under the illusion that a Black cop is less likely to brutalize you or kill you.

IF you don't know what "the Talk" is referring to regarding Black American families, I'll link wikipedia for that

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 27, 2023 9:36 AM

Last week businesses started boarding up their windows in preparation of the video being released

by Anonymousreply 12January 27, 2023 10:28 AM

It sounds like this video is going to shock people. Ugh, I don't want to see it.

by Anonymousreply 13January 27, 2023 12:32 PM

It’s obvious 5 black men don’t beat up another black man because they’re racists. So there are two problems, brutal cops of any race and black men who resist arrest and end up,dead. The latter issue can’t be discussed because it hits too close to home.

by Anonymousreply 14January 27, 2023 12:36 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 27, 2023 12:42 PM

Yes, R8, but I’m only saying that the “racist angle” is the fact that all 5 BLACK cops were arrested and jailed. Had it been 5 WHITE cops they wouldn’t be arrested or jailed yet.

I read also that the union isn’t even speaking up for them or trying to defend them in some way.

by Anonymousreply 16January 27, 2023 12:48 PM

R4, the complexities of racism are profound. Obviously black men cannot be interpersonally racist, however they can work within the confounds of racist institutions and ideology. Black people do not respect other black people, sometimes. Growing up in big urban cities I've always said I have never had a white cop treat me bad, very rarely did any cop treat me bad but the 1 or 2 times they did, they were black.

by Anonymousreply 17January 27, 2023 12:51 PM

But many white cops have been arrested and charged even if they are found not guilty. And lately they have been finding these suckas guilty.

by Anonymousreply 18January 27, 2023 12:52 PM

[quote]Had it been 5 WHITE cops they wouldn’t be arrested or jailed yet.

Stop with your speculative bullshit. This is a tragedy and your crap it part of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 19January 27, 2023 12:53 PM

R17 Exactly. I’ve always been taught a white cop is bad, a black cop is dangerous.

A lot of them are like the black bounty hunters of the 1800’s.

by Anonymousreply 20January 27, 2023 12:56 PM

[quote]The race of a cop is "cop." *Never* be under the illusion that a Black cop is less likely to brutalize you or kill you.

True.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 27, 2023 12:57 PM

R10 Black people get arrested the most because they’re black. You’re 6x more likely to be pulled over by the cops in the US if you’re black.

White and black people smoke marijuana at the same rates but black people make up the majority marijuana arrests / charges in the US.

And white people fight and resist the police all the time. The difference is unarmed white people aren’t being murdered over fake dollar bills or selling cigarettes or etc.

White people in the US can suffer from “affluenza”.

by Anonymousreply 22January 27, 2023 1:01 PM

All cops should be blind.

by Anonymousreply 23January 27, 2023 1:01 PM

One reason racism has this country so fucked up is that in this case, it’s difficult not to think about how the black cops have been handled a bit differently than white cops in similar situations, along with, yet again, a tragic ending to a black man’s arrest.

That being said, bad cops are bad cops, and I’m not opposed to how Memphis handled these cops. They’ll get their day in court, unlike their victim.

by Anonymousreply 24January 27, 2023 1:26 PM

I said in another thread, I'm shocked that they have not discussed this on 'The View' this week. Sunny Hostin has been suspiciously quiet, as has Whoopi and Joy. If it were five white cops, these ladies would be talking about it every single morning. Sunny would have the whole deck of 'race cards' out on the table.

Will Sunny now say she warns her son about black cops as much as she warns him about white cops ?

by Anonymousreply 25January 27, 2023 2:07 PM

Just unbelievably awful. Smdh, why?

by Anonymousreply 26January 27, 2023 2:29 PM

I noticed that Joy Reid last night made a point of saying that cases of police brutality are due to “cop culture” and have nothing to do with race. Funny, because every previous case of police brutality she’s been quick to point out “racism” as the cause of all of them. But unfortunately for MSNBC’s biggest race-baiter, this case doesn’t fit the usual narrative. Actually, I’m surprised she covered this story at all, and didn’t ignore it completely like she did the black six year old who shot his white teacher.

by Anonymousreply 27January 27, 2023 2:38 PM

R21, thnx for posting that. They are a lot of Stephens from Django on police forces.

I have my suspicions bout how this event may have played out. Less racism, of course subconciously, but more so egoism, power trips, and unchecked violations of the law via wearing a badge.

by Anonymousreply 28January 27, 2023 2:52 PM

This thread will be deleted in 3, 2, 1…

by Anonymousreply 29January 27, 2023 3:19 PM

Video of a traffic stop that led to the deadly beating of a 29-year-old Black man shows “acts that defy humanity,” the Memphis police chief told CNN on Friday, hours before the expected public release of the footage.

“You’re going to see a disregard for life, duty of care that we’re all sworn to and a level of physical interaction that is above and beyond what is required in law enforcement,” Chief Cerelyn “CJ” Davis told Don Lemon of the video in the Tyre Nichols case, noting it will be released on YouTube in four parts.

by Anonymousreply 30January 27, 2023 3:19 PM

I've noticed that Reverand Sharpton and Joy Reid (as well as many other black TV hosts) have been calling this 'cop culture' since it was five Black officers beating to death an innocent Black man. Never before have these two (or any other black TV hosts) used 'cop culture' when describing white cops against a black man - it has always been 'racism'.

IF they should talk about this on 'The View', I'd like to know what Sunny and Whoopi call this.

by Anonymousreply 31January 27, 2023 3:30 PM

When does the video get posted?

by Anonymousreply 32January 27, 2023 3:33 PM

The city of Memphis is set to release video of Tyre Nichols' arrest to the public sometime after 7 p.m. ET. City council members will be allowed to view the footage at 1 p.m. ET, officials said.

by Anonymousreply 33January 27, 2023 3:36 PM

I don't know why anyone is surprised. Besides the one offs like George Floyd most of these cases there was always some stupid ass black linebacker looking type among the group. Yalll remember Freddie Gray in Baltimore. Most of those cops were black or black latinos.

It's just that in the case where the victim seem to be hunted down like he was running or got shot in the back the cop was white.

by Anonymousreply 34January 27, 2023 3:53 PM

Word on the street is that this is the most disturbing police brutality video since Rodney King.

by Anonymousreply 35January 27, 2023 3:59 PM

[quote] Black people get arrested the most because they’re black.

Sure, Jan. They end up in jail because they’re repeat offenders.

by Anonymousreply 36January 27, 2023 4:00 PM

Does anyone know if cops get random drug testing. I'm guessing it varies from state to state.

I think they should. If they can rando urinalysis for federal employee office dwellers they can do this for cops. I suspect many cops are cokeheads and/or pill poppers.

by Anonymousreply 37January 27, 2023 4:01 PM

[quote]Word on the street is that this is the most disturbing police brutality video since Rodney King.

Dayum.

Guess they didn’t give a fuck their cameras were rolling. I’ll bet if the guy didn’t die, we wouldn’t have heard a thing about it.

by Anonymousreply 38January 27, 2023 4:01 PM

Are there really going to be any protests over this? I find it hard to believe that Black Lives Matter will be in favor of locking up five violent black males.

by Anonymousreply 39January 27, 2023 4:23 PM

Cerelyn Davis (chief of police) is doing a good job at public outreach in the wake of this. I hope she has the confidence of other city leaders to actually enact reforms.

by Anonymousreply 40January 27, 2023 4:23 PM

R38, then you don't know BLM. They aren't that basic.

And no I'm not a BLM.

by Anonymousreply 41January 27, 2023 4:25 PM

Sry my comment was meant for r39.

by Anonymousreply 42January 27, 2023 4:26 PM

I'm not sure why they need to release the video to the public tonight on YouTube. They anticipate rioting on the streets across the country (once again). Why provoke this ?

by Anonymousreply 43January 27, 2023 4:30 PM

[quote] then you don't know BLM. They aren't that basic.

They’re too busy cashing their checks from their grift. Give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 44January 27, 2023 4:34 PM

Cop culture IS racist. Black men are considered suspicious by cops. Black men are perceived as threatening by cops. Black men can usually be harassed with no consequences.

And yes, these black cops are being criminally charged a lot faster than white cops are.

Racism is real in America.

by Anonymousreply 45January 27, 2023 4:40 PM

[quote]And yes, these black cops are being criminally charged a lot faster than white cops are.

This is exactly the narrative that I anticipate will be parroted by Black Lives Matter. “These violent black cops are being treated unfairly by the criminal justice system.”

by Anonymousreply 46January 27, 2023 4:48 PM

This isn’t going to lead to a “race riot” it’s going to lead to an anti-cop riot. Cops in cities across the country are going to feel the brunt of this. A long-due overhaul of cop culture hopefully will result.

by Anonymousreply 47January 27, 2023 4:52 PM

[quote]I'm not sure why they need to release the video to the public tonight on YouTube. They anticipate rioting on the streets across the country (once again). Why provoke this ?

You don’t think the public, who paid for those cameras hoping to prevent something like this, deserves to see the video and see what their police are up to?

by Anonymousreply 48January 27, 2023 4:53 PM

There's no good angle in this for the national BLM organization. Local organizations with a better sense of local context and nuance, including regional BLM-adjaceny groups, could do good work out of this.

But this is not a come-up opportunity for people who just like the sound of their own voice and being in front of a camera.

by Anonymousreply 49January 27, 2023 4:57 PM

So are the protests going to burn down black neighborhoods?

I do notice the social media hum protesting these murderers is more subdued since the cops are all black.

by Anonymousreply 50January 27, 2023 5:00 PM

[quote]So are the protests going to burn down black neighborhoods? I do notice the social media hum protesting these murderers is more subdued since the cops are all black.

There aren’t going to be any protests. This case doesn’t fit the narrative.

by Anonymousreply 51January 27, 2023 5:03 PM

Thoughts and prayers.

by Anonymousreply 52January 27, 2023 5:04 PM

[quote]There aren’t going to be any protests. This case doesn’t fit the narrative.

Officials are clearly worried that there will be, but I suspect you're right.

by Anonymousreply 53January 27, 2023 5:05 PM

The family just said in their presser they would be holding a protest tonight and specifically asked for it to be a non-violent protest.

by Anonymousreply 54January 27, 2023 5:13 PM

While the nation awaits the release of the Tyre Nichols video, the police body cam video of the Paul Pelosi attack has been released.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 27, 2023 5:31 PM

[quote]And yes, these black cops are being criminally charged a lot faster than white cops are. Racism is real in America.

The black police chief fired them immediately. Is she a racist too?

by Anonymousreply 56January 27, 2023 5:50 PM

To set an example of how it should be done. If anything, the police chief made their white peers who failed to respond in a similar manner look all the more egregious and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 57January 27, 2023 5:52 PM

Being a cop is being in a cult and a gang at the same time, apparently. Can’t even recognize another human being after “training”

by Anonymousreply 58January 27, 2023 5:55 PM

[quote]And yes, these black cops are being criminally charged a lot faster than white cops are. Racism is real in America.

Werll, in the pat few years, there have been complaints that the cops were not charged quickly enough. So they have remedied that situation, and made the arrests much quicker (as was demanded from protesters across the country).

And because it's black cops in this awful incident, you see it as racist ? I see it as progress - protesters spoke out, and something was done. Why would you want these men out on the street any longer ?

by Anonymousreply 59January 27, 2023 6:21 PM

R59, Yo that poster is a troll. No one who cares about black Civil rights would cry racism that these cops are going through the judicial process so fast. It's getting its rocks off, perhaps even masturbating. Stop feeding it.

by Anonymousreply 60January 27, 2023 6:42 PM

Tyre's mother has requested that any protests be peaceful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 27, 2023 7:38 PM

Another example of black on black crime. I thought black lives mattered.

by Anonymousreply 62January 27, 2023 7:45 PM

R62, why troll?

by Anonymousreply 63January 27, 2023 8:22 PM

I don’t think I want to see it. I’ve heard they stomped his neck.

by Anonymousreply 64January 27, 2023 9:09 PM

Black men are just as capable of getting power-drunk as white men when they are given authority. They should be tried and found guilty.

by Anonymousreply 65January 27, 2023 9:12 PM

I remember when Martin Luther King Jr. was shot, LBJ tried to get the Supremes hurriedly brought before the national TV cameras to urge calm, but all they could conjure was the fake ones as Diane was behind enormous sunglasses refusing to sing with Mary and Cindy at the time.

by Anonymousreply 66January 27, 2023 9:39 PM

[quote] LBJ tried to get the Supremes hurriedly brought before the national TV cameras to urge calm

Poor Joe's version would probably be to call up Shaun King and Rachel Donzel

by Anonymousreply 67January 27, 2023 9:47 PM

What is with the 40 minute wait?

by Anonymousreply 68January 27, 2023 10:39 PM

What 40 minute wait?

by Anonymousreply 69January 27, 2023 10:57 PM

It's just about to air on CNN.

by Anonymousreply 70January 27, 2023 11:00 PM

I know this is a terrible comment but in UK English - tyre is the spelling for tire. As in car tyres.

by Anonymousreply 71January 27, 2023 11:02 PM

Sounds like this video is going to be horrific.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 27, 2023 11:04 PM

[quote] What is with the 40 minute wait?

Make up for the DA ?

by Anonymousreply 73January 27, 2023 11:06 PM

So far: the police stopped Tyre and pulled him from his car. Tyre got away from them and ran away. The police are looking for him.

by Anonymousreply 74January 27, 2023 11:13 PM

Basically the entire US police forces all need to be seriously cleaned up. Heavy managed scrutiny of who is coming into the police force and top down wholesale changes to the existing force. Current serving police who are unsuitable for the job should must be removed and replaced with new blood. There should be a policy of zero tolerance for violence.

Change won't happen overnight but this has to be done. Because right now it seems a lot of complete misfits are attracted to being police officers who go on to violently kill citizens.

by Anonymousreply 75January 27, 2023 11:17 PM

There'll be riots, any excuse for stealing shit will do.

by Anonymousreply 76January 27, 2023 11:19 PM

Only a small number of people had seen it before, including the family, their legal team and several officials.

Antonio Romanucci, a lawyer for the Nichols family, described the father-of-one as being treated like a [bold]"human piñata"[/bold] in the footage.

The arrest [bold]"was an unadulterated, unabashed, non-stop beating of this young boy for three minutes,"[/bold] he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 27, 2023 11:20 PM

Looks like he ran away, which is the common denominator in all of these police killings.

by Anonymousreply 78January 27, 2023 11:22 PM

I can't tell what the heck is happening in these videos, other than the cops repeatedly yelling "Give us your fuckin' hands."

by Anonymousreply 79January 27, 2023 11:22 PM

The video is really bad. Really really bad. I won’t be surprised if people take to the streets. ACAB.

by Anonymousreply 80January 27, 2023 11:25 PM

[quote] described the father-of-one as being treated like a "human piñata"

"That makes me feel much better about our relationship"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81January 27, 2023 11:27 PM

How can that many cops not be able to control him? At the least, one could wrap duct tape around his legs and restrict his movement.

by Anonymousreply 82January 27, 2023 11:27 PM

You think cops carry duct tape?!

While I agree with your premise, that’s absurd.

by Anonymousreply 83January 27, 2023 11:29 PM

He did not run away R78. He was running for his life.

by Anonymousreply 84January 27, 2023 11:31 PM

Has the video been released?

by Anonymousreply 85January 27, 2023 11:33 PM

It's airing live right now.

by Anonymousreply 86January 27, 2023 11:33 PM

R82- They could have. There are many, many other ways in which they could have successfully handled this situation. He ran, he didn't fight. Poor guy.

by Anonymousreply 87January 27, 2023 11:34 PM

He tried to run AFTER they started beating & tasering him. He kept saying okay, okay, and got on the ground but they kept screaming at him.

by Anonymousreply 88January 27, 2023 11:34 PM

All this for a “traffic stop”?

by Anonymousreply 89January 27, 2023 11:36 PM

They treated him like a human piñata when he was fully restrained. Throw the book at these pieces of shit.

by Anonymousreply 90January 27, 2023 11:37 PM

He seemed completely sober and calm when they forced him out of his car (which was stopped at a red light). He’s also extremely skinny. He ran away because he knew they were going to beat him up.

I couldn’t watch the second video. So sad. This poor man calling for his mother a few blocks from home while 5 people beat him to death.

Completely horrific.

by Anonymousreply 91January 27, 2023 11:37 PM

He ran R78 because he knew he was going to be brutally killed.

by Anonymousreply 92January 27, 2023 11:40 PM

Geez, he's fully subdued and they're just pummeling him.

by Anonymousreply 93January 27, 2023 11:42 PM

What was the reason for the traffic stop? That's never been explained.

by Anonymousreply 94January 27, 2023 11:43 PM

He survived for 3 days with those horrific injuries before dying. Imagine the pain he must have been in. His body would have been shattered.

Those 5 fired police are [bold]fucked[/bold].

by Anonymousreply 95January 27, 2023 11:46 PM

Were they scared of him? Angry at him? Why beat him like that? Did they want him unconscious?

by Anonymousreply 96January 27, 2023 11:46 PM

He seemed like a sweet man. Worked for fed ex, had a photography website, loved skateboarding. And was extremely close with his mom.

So sad. His poor mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 27, 2023 11:46 PM

I think they were angry that he got away from them and they had to give chase.

by Anonymousreply 98January 27, 2023 11:47 PM

He was pulled over for alleged reckless driving R94 according to the BBC story at R77.

by Anonymousreply 99January 27, 2023 11:48 PM

Oh that's really sad looking at his photography website R97.

by Anonymousreply 100January 27, 2023 11:49 PM

I’m furious after watching the video, WTF was the issue here, he’s a skinny guy and they needed 5 fatass cops to subdue him!

Let them riot.

by Anonymousreply 101January 27, 2023 11:50 PM

There was no threat to the police or the public! No excuse for their behavior.

by Anonymousreply 102January 27, 2023 11:51 PM

[quote]Why beat him like that?

They found him guilty of Contempt of Cop and became the executioners. Sick.

by Anonymousreply 103January 27, 2023 11:55 PM

Life in prison / death penalty.

by Anonymousreply 104January 27, 2023 11:55 PM

I'm not knee-jerk anti-cop, but I was brought up short when a black man commented, "There's a reason no one has recorded a song called 'Fuck the Firefighters.'"

by Anonymousreply 105January 27, 2023 11:55 PM

Don Lemon: "All they had to do is tell him why they were stopping him. He just wanted to know why."

What is it with cops and this power trip? I've been stopped and it's the same thing -- no explanation until they decide to share one.

by Anonymousreply 106January 27, 2023 11:56 PM

Yes life in prison.

by Anonymousreply 107January 27, 2023 11:56 PM

I had a family member shot by the police “accidentally”. I’m sick of seeing this stuff go on.

by Anonymousreply 108January 27, 2023 11:57 PM

I don’t think they actually tried to kill him, but they sure didn’t care if they did.

by Anonymousreply 109January 27, 2023 11:59 PM

This is beyond horrific. Anyone who is not shocked and gutted by the murder of this man we just watched live on television...then i don't know what to say.

Also, it is obvious the cop lost the body cam at the precise moment they started beating the life out of him, because when he recovered it they next showed Tyre propped up against the car which is where the street cam showed him sitting after the beatdown.

In addition, everything they were saying like put your hands behind your back was done deliberately so that it would be recorded that he kept resisting arrest, as they knew they were being recorded and therefore needed that for their potential defense.

Absolutely loathsome.

by Anonymousreply 110January 27, 2023 11:59 PM

What's astonishing is that they beat him KNOWING they were being recorded

by Anonymousreply 111January 27, 2023 11:59 PM

It’s truly terrible and awful, and MARY! me all you want, but I burst into tears when I heard him calling for his mother…who was less than 80 feet away.

by Anonymousreply 112January 28, 2023 12:00 AM

Here's slower motion images

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113January 28, 2023 12:02 AM

R112 I did too.

And then seeing his sweet photography website and reading how he was the youngest of 4 children and a real “mamma’s boy.”

I’m still teary! MARY!

by Anonymousreply 114January 28, 2023 12:03 AM

R112 This and the Elijah McClain video are the most heartbreaking ones.

by Anonymousreply 115January 28, 2023 12:03 AM

His mother and his family have acted with remarkable grace throughout this. I can't imagine the pain my mom would feel upon hearing that one of her sons was calling her name while he was dying just 100 yards away.

by Anonymousreply 116January 28, 2023 12:04 AM

Nobody is MARYING you R112. Anyone who is human feels the same as you do. Heartbreaking.

R109 - you don't think that 5 huge violent men beating another man like that would likely kill him? They must have known at some point. Anyway it doesn't matter. They all must got to prison for life.

by Anonymousreply 117January 28, 2023 12:04 AM

I wonder if they are capable of putting words to their actions.

by Anonymousreply 118January 28, 2023 12:08 AM

Blaming the victims, r78?

by Anonymousreply 119January 28, 2023 12:08 AM

Who even cares R118. Those 5 vicious criminals don't matter now to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 120January 28, 2023 12:09 AM

The pig cops need to be disbanded. They murder thousands of Americans every year, most of them poor and non-white. The civil war never ended. The racist lynch mobs just formed the police forces, and they are at still war with the United States.

by Anonymousreply 121January 28, 2023 12:12 AM

The 5 black men are a "racist Lynch mob" by killing a black man?

by Anonymousreply 122January 28, 2023 12:14 AM

Even the blatant racists over at Free Republic are having trouble justifying this one. A few are trying to say "He should've just complied," but most people are horrified.

by Anonymousreply 123January 28, 2023 12:14 AM

R121 source. Cops do not murder thousands of Americans a year

by Anonymousreply 124January 28, 2023 12:16 AM

Then that's real serious if even those racist cunts are horrified R123.

Do we think there will be violence and riots?

by Anonymousreply 125January 28, 2023 12:18 AM

Wonder how many they beat up, though, R124?

by Anonymousreply 126January 28, 2023 12:19 AM

Protests don’t necessarily turn into riots.

by Anonymousreply 127January 28, 2023 12:20 AM

If they’re done right, they do.

by Anonymousreply 128January 28, 2023 12:23 AM

[quote] Yes life in prison.

No, death by beating, and that most likely will happen once they’re in prison.

by Anonymousreply 129January 28, 2023 12:25 AM

One things for certain these guys have permanently, certainly, irrevocably, until infinity andd beyond--

Have their blacks cards removed.

by Anonymousreply 130January 28, 2023 12:28 AM

I don’t know if they showed the video on Fox News, but Tucker Carlson is covering the “preparation for riots all over the country.”

by Anonymousreply 131January 28, 2023 12:28 AM

You’ve got that EXACTLY correct R120.

by Anonymousreply 132January 28, 2023 12:31 AM

Meant R121 ^

by Anonymousreply 133January 28, 2023 12:31 AM

Isn't he precious, r131...

by Anonymousreply 134January 28, 2023 12:32 AM

First Hannity had some Black man on saying this happened because Memphis has a female police chief and because young Black men are being raised by single moms!

by Anonymousreply 135January 28, 2023 12:32 AM

Tucker Carlson was calling for the invasion of Canada five minutes ago. No one cares what he’s doing.

by Anonymousreply 136January 28, 2023 12:32 AM

Carlson must really have the best personal security money can buy. Otherwise...

by Anonymousreply 137January 28, 2023 12:34 AM

Except this is what is being seen by people who only view Fox News.

by Anonymousreply 138January 28, 2023 12:34 AM

R131 he would get off on country wide riots. He needs to be taken off the air

by Anonymousreply 139January 28, 2023 12:34 AM

But that's nothing new R138. This is what Fox News do for a crust. It's the same every time. That's why they are not classified as a news service now.

by Anonymousreply 140January 28, 2023 12:35 AM

I don’t think the 5 black cops would do the same horrible things to a white man. This is internalized racism. POC might treat other POCs much worse than how they treat white people . Something that you white people might never understand

by Anonymousreply 141January 28, 2023 12:49 AM

Biden calls the parents of Tyre Nichols to remind them his son Beau died too.

'I know it's devastating,' the president said. 'I know people say that to you. But I do know - I've lost my son in a war, the consequence of a war in Iraq, being there a year. I lost my daughter when a tractor-trailer broadsided and killed my wife and daughter.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142January 28, 2023 12:51 AM

Of course they are charged with murder--they're black cops.

If the cops were white. Fox News and the rest of the right wing media would talk ad nauseum about drugs in the victim's system and his criminal record to obfuscate the cops' involvement. They would vilify the victim to the point you think he deserved death. There would be lots of "Why didn't he just listen to the cops" as if running means you deserve death

by Anonymousreply 143January 28, 2023 12:53 AM

A few years ago, when white cops did anything to blacks, there would never be any charges against the cops.

Then an Asian cop shot a Black guy in a Project building. The Asian cop was swiftly charged with murder.

by Anonymousreply 144January 28, 2023 12:54 AM

Actually R143 - with the same footage - I don't think the right wing media would be able to. It's deeply horrific and impossible to justify for any reason. White, black, pink green, yellow blue. Impossible to justify. I suspect what the right wing media would do is downplay the story and then stop reporting on it. They do that regularly.

by Anonymousreply 145January 28, 2023 1:02 AM

I think the right wing media will play up the "these black cops were incompetent diversity hires" angle.

by Anonymousreply 146January 28, 2023 1:05 AM

[quote]Something that you white people might never understand

I understand it.

by Anonymousreply 147January 28, 2023 1:05 AM

I do too R147. After all - we're gay and we get it dished out all day, every day from white christian people. We get it.

We also know about internalized homophobia and how that makes some fucked up closet cases treat other gays with violence and vilification.

Although I want to make it crystal clear I am not minimizing what R141 said. It's a very valid point.

by Anonymousreply 148January 28, 2023 1:09 AM

[quote]Actually [R143] - with the same footage - I don't think the right wing media would be able to. It's deeply horrific and impossible to justify for any reason.

Please. Kyle Rittenhouse killed two people, one of them unarmed. The right wing still supported him and made him a hero

by Anonymousreply 149January 28, 2023 1:12 AM

I'm watchign CNN's coverage and they talked with a member of the city council who was crying. Quite heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 150January 28, 2023 1:14 AM

[quote] Actually [R143] - with the same footage - I don't think the right wing media would be able to. It's deeply horrific and impossible to justify for any reason. White, black, pink green, yellow blue. Impossible to justify. I suspect what the right wing media would do is downplay the story and then stop reporting on it. They do that regularly.

NEVER underestimate the power of lies steeped in misogyny coated grievance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151January 28, 2023 1:17 AM

Ashli Babbitt? That's Tucker Carlson's defense??

by Anonymousreply 152January 28, 2023 1:20 AM

^^^

Remember the dog-whistle at play here, R152. Michael Byrd, the officer who shot Ashli Babbitt, is also Black.

As someone said upthread, Tuckems might next be "just asking questions" about if the "few bad apples" might just be...Black cops...

by Anonymousreply 153January 28, 2023 1:25 AM

JFC Carlson is a sack of rotted shit. Babbitt was attempting to violently overthrow the US federal government INSIDE the fucking Capitol Building and was threatening the lives of law enforcement officers.

Obviously the difference in the two situations is as wide as the Grand Canyon. No reasonable person on the entire planet would conflate the two.

by Anonymousreply 154January 28, 2023 1:29 AM

ACAB?

by Anonymousreply 155January 28, 2023 1:31 AM

All Cops Are Bastards. R155

by Anonymousreply 156January 28, 2023 1:35 AM

After I watched this video I cried. I turned off all the lights in my apartment and cried. When my boyfriend came home he had to console me like when my grandfather died. I was trembling. This is the most devastating police brutality video I have ever witnessed.

As an educated person I've discovered 50% of the equation of racism. Yes it is about white supremacy, yes it is about cultural legacy, yes it is about mere bias but its very chiefly about the devalue of black life. The lack of regard for black empathy. That these fellow black men can be in the moment and beat this young man to death with no thought.

We black men are worthy of thought. We come in all sizes. We can be gay, straight, alpha ,nerdy, artsy, edgy, rebels, weirdos. We are worthy of life.

by Anonymousreply 157January 28, 2023 1:36 AM

I know this may sound trivial and this will be a polarizing comment but I would like everyone to process this.

Had Jimmy Fallon made that joke at last year's Oscar ceremony Will Smith would have never walked on stage and slapped him.

by Anonymousreply 158January 28, 2023 1:38 AM

Jimy Fallon wouldn't have made that joke, R158. Process that.

by Anonymousreply 159January 28, 2023 1:41 AM

Sending hugs R157.

by Anonymousreply 160January 28, 2023 1:42 AM

R157, I know you got a man and I’m not trying to get us in trouble, but I’m giving you a hug right now. I hope you can feel it.

by Anonymousreply 161January 28, 2023 1:42 AM

Sending love to you r157.

by Anonymousreply 162January 28, 2023 1:47 AM

[quote]No reasonable person on the entire planet would conflate the two.

It;s not the reasonable people we need to be concerned about, r154.

by Anonymousreply 163January 28, 2023 1:58 AM

[quote] Please. Kyle Rittenhouse killed two people, one of them unarmed.

There’s no law saying that you can only shoot an armed person.

by Anonymousreply 164January 28, 2023 2:09 AM

[quote] Please. Kyle Rittenhouse killed two people, one of them unarmed. The right wing still supported him and made him a hero

Americans supported him because they were tired of their cities being run into the ground by so-called peaceful protestors. Rittenhouse was totally within his right. Quit supporting the pedophile creep he shot. Not a good look.

by Anonymousreply 165January 28, 2023 2:12 AM

R97, oh my, he seems like a real sweetie. Wishing his mother is able to feel some peace.

by Anonymousreply 166January 28, 2023 2:15 AM

Gross. America needs to rethink the roles of the police departments. I've seen so many alarming videos in the past few years, whole the camera was on, I can't imagine what they were doing to people before that -- shit like dropping drugs in victim's cars, ruining their lives, beating them up, killing them, etc. Ffs Traffic violations should never lead to this kind of violent end.

Not going to sugar coat; I have noticed that when the cops are black, any other race, or even a woman, it's funny how swift justice is. There's no beating around the bush with punishment -- however, as unfortunate as that is, we can't let their actions go unpunished either. We need to keep pointing out the obvious differences and make sure the white male cops are dealt with in exactly the same manner.

by Anonymousreply 167January 28, 2023 2:17 AM

The senior senator from Tennessee found the video "difficult to watch"...

..and STILL implies Real Americans™ are the actual victims.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168January 28, 2023 2:24 AM

Protests seem fairly small so far. It's chilly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169January 28, 2023 2:34 AM

R159, that wasn't my point. Insert any white comic/host.

by Anonymousreply 170January 28, 2023 2:35 AM

Much love to r157.

by Anonymousreply 171January 28, 2023 2:35 AM

Yes very true R163. And there's so many of the "unreasonable" ones.

by Anonymousreply 173January 28, 2023 2:46 AM

I think its not about just the police force institution. It's that those going into the police force today are from the last couple of generations of people who grew up in the era of being regular steroids-taking gym-goers, veterans from several U.S. overseas military engagements, and interacting in an era devoted to more media violence and focus on power. There are a lot angrier, stronger, bigger and cockier law officials out there today, with this roided-up and angry power trip mentality, and it's wrecking our society.

by Anonymousreply 174January 28, 2023 2:56 AM

Sending more hugs, R157.

Not sure how many of those cops had wives/significant others, but I hope they're getting help. If they did this in public, on camera, I can't imagine what they were doing at home.

by Anonymousreply 175January 28, 2023 3:11 AM

R165 needs to be redtagged and banned from this site. You are not wanted here you Nazi fuck. You want to know what’s not a good look you fucking CUNT? FASCISM. Now fuck right off back to the Russian bot Trump shithole you came from YOU FUCKING CUNT.

And choke on the fact that your party will never have real power again.

by Anonymousreply 176January 28, 2023 3:22 AM

What R176 said x 2. Fuck you R165. I'll bet it's like the Holland Tunnel.

by Anonymousreply 177January 28, 2023 3:46 AM

The rioting has begun.

by Anonymousreply 178January 28, 2023 3:51 AM

Commies have arrived.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179January 28, 2023 3:52 AM

One of these monsters who killed this young man is named Emmit.

Oh, the irony.

So we have all now watched this heinous video. There’s absolutely no proof whatsoever, that this young man was driving recklessly. Word on the street is that this “Scorpion Unit”, is known to intentionally harass, menace, and violently beat other black men in the community, who were doing things like driving to a restaurant, to pick up a pizza.

These men got off on harassment. They, by all accounts, allegedly display a particular pattern of behavior, where they intentionally searched out targets, to victimize on slow nights, when they wanted some action, yet none was to be found, so they created it.

What has happened here is not novel. It’s not rare, nor is it uncommon. It’s been happening since the foundation of our nation, and this is just a newer version of the black overseers at the ole plantation, brutalizing their own, in order to maintain old school white supremacy.

People do not want to make this about race, so OK. Let’s not make it about race. Let’s make it about men, & their need for power and control, because in the end, this is what this shit boils down to, and no one wants to say it. No one wants to point out the fucking obvious.

There is something fundamentally BROKEN in MANY men in our society. Not all men, but enough men that it makes a HUGE impact on the way our society functions, and specifically functions to the detriment of the masses.

I’ll leave it at that.

Those who have the ability to be self reflective and brutally HONEST with themselves, understand that what I am stating, has merit.

Men are fucked up. Someone needs to tell them. They need help. And everyone is in denial about this.

by Anonymousreply 180January 28, 2023 3:54 AM

Here we go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181January 28, 2023 3:54 AM

NYC keeping it classy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182January 28, 2023 3:54 AM

He wasnt driving wrcklessly. A very important relative to me works for the justice department, saw the video a week ago as well as additional footage leading up to him being stopped and yanked out of though car. They suspect the police thought he was someone else. They are a part of some drug task force. They were not in a police vehicle, and in plain clothes cops wearing fkin tactical gear. I thought they had own blazers and outer gear because of the cold, but no. These cops are guilty guilty guilty.

by Anonymousreply 183January 28, 2023 3:58 AM

I should iterate they weren't in a marked police vehicle.

by Anonymousreply 184January 28, 2023 3:59 AM

I agree with you completely r180. It's not female officers beating the shit out of innocent people. It's not females plotting brutal slasher killings of young college coeds in Idaho. It's not females doing all these mass shootings all over the place.

We have a big "Men" problem going on, that needs to be addressed. How exactly, I can't say. But a spotlight is needed.

by Anonymousreply 185January 28, 2023 4:03 AM

R183 Thanks for background. I was wondering why there were five of them. Seems excessive for a traffic stop.

by Anonymousreply 186January 28, 2023 4:14 AM

Is it in downtown washington sq park as well?

by Anonymousreply 187January 28, 2023 4:23 AM

[quote] What a horrendous state of affairs we exist in, when Uncle Toms, become cops.

What do you suggest, R1?

by Anonymousreply 188January 28, 2023 4:35 AM

[quote] It's not female officers beating the shit out of innocent people. It's not females plotting brutal slasher killings of young college coeds in Idaho. It's not females doing all these mass shootings all over the place.

[quote]We have a big "Men" problem going on, that needs to be addressed. How exactly, I can't say. But a spotlight is needed.

That’s absolute bullshit. There are millions of women killing people. What planet do you live on? Stop politicizing everything, idiot. Your agenda is embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 189January 28, 2023 4:35 AM

R185 there’s obviously a problem with a number of men (and probably a number of women) but it’s not necessarily a problem with all men and all women.

by Anonymousreply 190January 28, 2023 4:47 AM

[Quote] Americans supported him because they were tired of their cities being run into the ground by so-called peaceful protestors. Rittenhouse was totally within his right. Quit supporting the pedophile creep he shot. Not a good look.

Except, of course, that Rittenhouse was the most violent person at that protest…

by Anonymousreply 191January 28, 2023 4:56 AM

[Quote] Americans supported him because they were tired of their cities being run into the ground by so-called peaceful protestors. Rittenhouse was totally within his right. Quit supporting the pedophile creep he shot. Not a good look.

Typical right wing BS—you start bringing up every little thing about the dead person’s past as if he deserved to die—taking the heat off Rittenhouse.

by Anonymousreply 192January 28, 2023 4:57 AM

R182, if you don’t riot, the police will keep killing you.

by Anonymousreply 193January 28, 2023 4:58 AM

[Quote] The rioting has begun.

As it should

by Anonymousreply 194January 28, 2023 4:59 AM

[Quote] Americans supported him because they were tired of their cities being run into the ground by so-called peaceful protestors.

Um, what cities have been run into the ground? They are all doing just fine and they send their love

by Anonymousreply 195January 28, 2023 5:01 AM

[quote] Except, of course, that Rittenhouse was the most violent person at that protest…

Baloney. He was being attacked. He was acquitted because of the evidence. He’s probably a dick but was within his right to walk freely without being attacked.

by Anonymousreply 196January 28, 2023 5:17 AM

R195 lives in an ivory tower and hasn’t seen the black neighborhoods that were destroyed. Step outside your liberal bubble sometime.

by Anonymousreply 197January 28, 2023 5:18 AM

[quote] if you don’t riot, the police will keep killing you.

We’ve had how many riots? It’s obviously not working.

by Anonymousreply 198January 28, 2023 5:19 AM

R189?

Go ahead & prove me wrong.

Do it!

I fucking dare you.

C’mon.

Get with it and put me in my place.

Show me to be the ignoramus, you indirectly, claim I am.

I’ll wait.

The burden of proof is on YOU, not me.

by Anonymousreply 199January 28, 2023 5:22 AM

Memphis is the kind of city where the black lady Chief of Police had her own home burgled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200January 28, 2023 5:23 AM

Gee, I wonder who burgled her home?

by Anonymousreply 201January 28, 2023 5:26 AM

If he had just followed orders to step out of the car, lie on his stomach and be handcuffed- he'd be alive. But he chose not to. He chose to wrestle and thrash and run and resist. And he got beat, really hard. And he died from his injuries. His decision.

by Anonymousreply 202January 28, 2023 5:28 AM

[quote] run

R202 Certain people are the best runners in the world.

It's in their nature to run.

by Anonymousreply 203January 28, 2023 5:35 AM

Just wanted to clarify the following:

I am not the commentator, who R189 referenced, in their posts.

The above being stated, I still want R189, to legitimately challenge my position, through the unabashed, and American judicial, democratic lens, of the data driven, FACTUAL scope, via which those who want facts, choose to interpret information.

Let’s go.

Let’s see this asshole troll do so.

by Anonymousreply 204January 28, 2023 5:38 AM

Can't bring myself to watch that video. Descriptions on here make it sound like a Shit brickhouse troll family gathering.

by Anonymousreply 205January 28, 2023 5:55 AM

Mark my words,the anger will escalate and the rioting will intensify.

by Anonymousreply 206January 28, 2023 6:55 AM

but will Memphis be able to see any difference from a regular weekend ?

by Anonymousreply 207January 28, 2023 7:00 AM

The video is really really awful.

by Anonymousreply 208January 28, 2023 7:05 AM

Van Jones tries to make it about white racism.

This will probably become the party line on The View and the news networks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209January 28, 2023 7:10 AM

R202 your response, if it was offered anywhere else in the world, would rightfully be shot down. Hopefully some day in some way people will realise that your sad defence is offensive, confronting and stupid. The rest of the world doesn’t operate in this way, but of course, American Exceptionalism will explain it away as special, because, USA.

by Anonymousreply 210January 28, 2023 7:18 AM

If the cops were white , the whole nation would be burning .

by Anonymousreply 211January 28, 2023 7:21 AM

Only in movies and television are punches and kicks small things. In the real world, they can kill. And these scumbags have real world experience. They were well aware of the damage their beating was doing. Only a jury full of morons would give them any benefit of the doubt.

by Anonymousreply 212January 28, 2023 7:32 AM

This will Get uglier as weekend progresses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213January 28, 2023 7:37 AM

Thank you for sharing that very real, obviously not fake flyer.

by Anonymousreply 214January 28, 2023 8:09 AM

My heart sank when he called for his mother. The overhead footage gives a better vantage point.

I watched someone get arrested this week, a woman who resisted. People who resist, like she did, naturally end up flat on the ground. THAT is when the officers usually fuck up, a person is most susceptible to injury at that point. Those officers I saw handled it the right way, a large group of them surrounded her and lifted her off the ground, and then cuffed her.

by Anonymousreply 215January 28, 2023 8:11 AM

[quote]So we have all now watched this heinous video.

No we haven't.

by Anonymousreply 216January 28, 2023 8:31 AM

R39 of course not. BLM's whole point was to divide society. This cannot poosibky be done with an event where the perpetrators are black too and everyone agrees that the victim posed no threat whatsoever. So of course they will barely mention it. BLM gives a shit about lives, black or otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 217January 28, 2023 8:55 AM

R202, try not to be such a willfully obtuse asshole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218January 28, 2023 8:56 AM

Today is going to be massively lit . They are mobilizing

by Anonymousreply 219January 28, 2023 9:11 AM

Datalounge wouldn't be Datalounge if we didn't have a handful of disgusting pieces of shit who pay to post that people deserve to be murdered brutally by cops during a traffic stop.

by Anonymousreply 220January 28, 2023 9:18 AM

[quote]I think they were angry that he got away from them and they had to give chase.

In the last month there have been three people killed locally because the police decided to chase them down for reasons that have never been fully explained. One person was a pedestrian mowed down by a suspect caught with pot and nothing else, one was a teen girl who they said they weren't chasing but video shows otherwise, and the other was an older man who was going slow down a quiet residential street and who became disoriented and scared when multiple cops surrounded him, and he turned into a tree on the corner of a 4-way intersection, apparently while trying to pull over.

by Anonymousreply 221January 28, 2023 9:35 AM

The video was brutal . The cops need to fry

by Anonymousreply 222January 28, 2023 9:49 AM

R208, For those unaware, Van Jones was married to a white woman for years, Billy Carter's daughter, and they had children together.

by Anonymousreply 223January 28, 2023 10:05 AM

^ R209

by Anonymousreply 224January 28, 2023 10:06 AM

Despite their horrific offenses, does anyone find any of these guys hot?

by Anonymousreply 225January 28, 2023 10:10 AM

[quote] I think they were angry that he got away from them and they had to give chase.

They had to give chase? Is that like giving head?

by Anonymousreply 226January 28, 2023 10:20 AM

[quote]They suspect the police thought he was someone else. They are a part of some drug task force.

Of course the police thought he was someone else. Nobody wants to hear this, but there is an incredibly high amount of crime committed by blacks. The black community needs to do something about the crime. There’s a reason cops target blacks, and it frequently leads to them pulling over the wrong person as seems to be the case here.

by Anonymousreply 227January 28, 2023 10:42 AM

R213, you're a fucking idiot if you think that's real

by Anonymousreply 228January 28, 2023 10:58 AM

An ugly person with an ugly comment at r227.

It wouldn't have mattered if the police had the right person, it's not their job to murder suspects. It's a trivial matter for them to haul someone in and check their identity. Saying "well they had to murder this guy because of mistaken identity and it's all the fault of The Blacks" is just disgusting.

You were also a major reason all the threads about the 6yo who shot his teacher were deleted, because you couldn't stop spouting Klan rhetoric, then bitching up a storm when your racist posts got deleted.

The world would be a LOT better if you and a handful of other DLers on this thread no longer existed. I also include the guy in the thread on Governor Kemp who said that the real problem was that we outlawed the lynching of blacks in my comment.

by Anonymousreply 229January 28, 2023 11:13 AM

Oh look, R227 is either an idiot, a racist, or a liar....

Or, very possibly, all three.

Let me help you with a personal story: When I was a teen in my mid sized suburb. Us middle class white kids did ALL SORTS OF JUVENILE DELINQUENCY and minor vandal crime. We rarely encountered the cops but when we did they did things like take our beer/pot/spray cans/firecrackers away and give us a warning or threaten to call our parents.

Meanwhile, the poor kids (lots brown and black but plenty white) would encounter cops way more often and just plain get taken home in a squad car, or get actual tickets, or taken to juvie when they encountered the cops FOR DOING THE SAME THING WE WERE DOING ACROSS TOWN. No warnings for them.

There's 2 reasons this happens like this: 1) the cops aren't sure if any of us white kids had lawyers for parents/relatives which could gum up their system, time, and quotas. Whereas they could be pretty certain the poor kids wouldn't have such connections or finances.

And, 2) since, IN AMERICA, Black people (for whatever reason you choose) tend to be poorer and less legally connected than white people [bold]so cops know it'll be a whole lot easier, statistically, to target Blacks.

That's why in NYC when cops wanted to make a petty drug busts they stop-and-frisk random minorities in minority neighborhoods.... as opposed to stopping random white guys in suits in the Financial District [bold]who would probably even more likely have drugs on them.[/bold]

Now I know what I typed won't change your mind but just know most of us know why IT SEEMS, to bigoted dummies and liars, that Blacks commit a much higher percentage of crimes than white people, while in reality all you actually know is Blacks get ARRESTED + CONVICTED more than Whites.

And really, just because they get arrested more doesn't mean they're actually committing more crime. Let's not be naive about the American policing/justice system, fuckface.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230January 28, 2023 11:23 AM

Haha ^^^ I fucked up my formatting at R230... made it more black.

by Anonymousreply 231January 28, 2023 11:24 AM

No r230:there is a problem with black on black crime. In 2019 59% of murders in the US were committed by blacks who make up 13% of the problem. Recently white and Hispanic murder rates have gone down while black rates continue to rise. This is a major problem for the black community affecting many children and teens. It’s practically an epidemic that can’t be ignored. Cops stopping, harassing white, Hispanic, .Chinese citizens won’t do much to stop it either.

by Anonymousreply 232January 28, 2023 11:54 AM

Well, you ladies can argue amongst yourselves for another three threads, but the truth is America is learning the hard way that police brutality and gun violence are issues that transcend race.

by Anonymousreply 233January 28, 2023 12:01 PM

Yes R232, white people in this country have effectively and systematically poisoned and destroyed generations of black people to the point that they’re just killing each other now. This is NOT just a black person problem that needs to only be solved by black people. White people must be a part of the solution, and a major part of that solution is pulling black people out of poverty.

by Anonymousreply 234January 28, 2023 12:08 PM

What happens to black communities while the US pulls blacks out of poverty which really isn’t as easy as it sounds. Black children and teens are getting killed daily in US cities. Memphis is one of the most crime ridden cities in the country.

by Anonymousreply 235January 28, 2023 12:17 PM

Please don’t let them be bla…d’oh!

by Anonymousreply 236January 28, 2023 12:26 PM

That video was absolutely horrifying - these officers are SICK! And I see where they are going plead Not Guilty!

The role of the Police is to enforce the law - NOT be judge and jury. They served the death penalty for nothing more than a traffic stop! What the HELL did they think was going to happen to the guy with their actions.

by Anonymousreply 237January 28, 2023 12:32 PM

I'm literally shaking

by Anonymousreply 238January 28, 2023 12:33 PM

The possibility that they mistook him for someone else, a person who they would consider contemptible and dangerous, is the only possible argument for "not guilty" but it's ridiculous as well. They had control of him and only need to cuff him, early in the encounter.

by Anonymousreply 239January 28, 2023 12:47 PM

Look at this alongside the death of Keenan Anderson, who was tased for 90 seconds while screaming, “Don’t kill me. I’m not resisting.” A Google search would tell you the maximum safe exposure time to a taser is 15 seconds. It’s relevant here too because Mr. Nichols did not try to run until after he was both pepper sprayed and tased.

It’s not just black officers doing this to black men; it’s also white officers doing it to white men.

Some of these articles are also saying that deaths of unarmed people after traffic stops by police are common.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240January 28, 2023 12:49 PM

NAACP President & CEO, Derrick Johnson, reacted to the newly released footage with the following statement:

"I am disturbed and disgusted by the sheer brutality and lack of humanity on display in the footage released today. No person should ever be subjected to such violence, to have to call for their mother as they are being brutalized by police. This video is a stark reminder that in America, on any day of the week, a Black person can be brutally beaten to death less than a hundred feet from his home by those who are supposedly here to 'serve and protect' our communities. Let me be clear - a traffic stop should not result in the brutal death of an unarmed man - period.

Now that the footage has been released: how much more bloodshed will it take before Congress acts? How much more trauma and tragedy must the Black community experience in order to spark real change? The police officers involved have been expeditiously charged – but that is far from enough to ensure justice for Tyre. We need action that ensures no one must ever experience or witness this kind of violence at the hands of law enforcement ever again.

To all members of Congress: As you leave the halls of Congress today and return to your comfortable homes, take a moment to think about the pleas for mercy that Tyre cried as he begged for his mother, and ask yourself the question; what if this was your child? Your continued failure to act has left Tyre's blood, and the blood of the countless Black lives claimed by police violence on your hands. Get up and do something. We are done dying."

by Anonymousreply 241January 28, 2023 1:00 PM

On Saturday, Rev. Sharpton will address Nichols’ death at the weekly NAN Saturday rally at the House of Justice in Harlem. He will then host Nichols’ parents and attorney Ben Crump on PoliticsNation at 5 p.m. on MSNBC. Rev. Sharpton will then deliver the eulogy for Nichols in Memphis on Wednesday morning.

“Once again, we are forced to watch another horrific video of cops using brutal force to kill a Black man. Nearly three years after the murder of George Floyd shook the world, here we are. This video should be all a jury needs to convict each of the five officers who relentlessly beat Tyre Nichols to death. Justice needs to be delivered for Tyre and his family. I don’t think anyone who could stomach getting through this footage would disagree.

Those who go out to protest tonight must respect the family’s wishes to remain non-violent. We are all outraged, but anyone who turns violent only helps the defendants. The more you act up, the more these cops will only use it as an excuse for their despicable actions.

The sad reality is police brutality will be an ever-present threat for Black and Brown Americans unless cops continually see that those who use blunt force will go to jail. They need to understand that a badge isn’t a shield that lets them kill someone during a traffic stop. And the only way to do that is through convictions and legislation. I thank the Justice Department for opening a civil rights investigation and urge its lawyers to be swift and transparent. Our entire nation must come together to condemn this grotesque violation of human rights.”

by Anonymousreply 242January 28, 2023 1:02 PM

The other problem with this use of force in traffic stops is that it motivates officers to plant evidence to cover themselves afterwards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243January 28, 2023 1:05 PM

[quote]The sad reality is police brutality will be an ever-present threat for Black and Brown Americans

And white Americans, who are killed by police in greater numbers than Black and Brown Americans put together, though at considerably disproportionate rates. This is a race problem, yes, but it's also a problem of a toxic cop culture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244January 28, 2023 1:14 PM

JoeMyGod

[quote] Fox Guest Blames Nichols' Death On Diversity Training

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245January 28, 2023 1:18 PM

R232, your statistic is based off percentages where the race is known. If you include the 20 plus percent of “unknown” in the stats, that figure is down to 39 percent. 81 percent of white people killed in homicides are killed by other white people.

by Anonymousreply 246January 28, 2023 1:22 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247January 28, 2023 1:51 PM

Sheer numbers of occurrences of almost anything will show more white people because there are so many more white people in this country. You have to compare proportions to get a meaningful perspective.

by Anonymousreply 248January 28, 2023 1:55 PM

There have been some protests, but it doesn’t seem that there have been riots.

by Anonymousreply 249January 28, 2023 1:57 PM

Surprised its taken R225 comments before someone asks "does anyone find any of these guys hot?"

by Anonymousreply 250January 28, 2023 1:59 PM

R249

Anytime deplorables are mildly inconvenienced by an assemblage of more than two pissed off people of color then it is considered a riot

by Anonymousreply 251January 28, 2023 2:02 PM

There is nothing attractive about cold-blooded murderers.

by Anonymousreply 252January 28, 2023 2:03 PM

Apparently Tyre's mother watched part of the footage. I hope she didn't see the part where he called out for her.

by Anonymousreply 253January 28, 2023 2:19 PM

Not sure I'd have her strength to watch that. Even seeing the pictures of him in the hospital bed are shocking.

by Anonymousreply 254January 28, 2023 2:27 PM

After Tyre was as subdued and obviously badly injured, one of the cops actually said, “he was going for my gun.” That’s the favorite CYA excuse that gets a lot of cops off. Of course, it wasn’t true. Wonder how often that happens.

by Anonymousreply 255January 28, 2023 2:28 PM

r206 = drama queen

by Anonymousreply 256January 28, 2023 2:32 PM

It's an outrage. Those pieces of shit need to serve life in prison.

by Anonymousreply 257January 28, 2023 2:42 PM

“Judge Kaufman further states that Ebens and Nitz "weren't the kind of men you send to jail [...] You don't make the punishment fit the crime; you make the punishment fit the criminal."[6]

The lenient sentence led to an uproar from Asian Americans. The president of the Detroit Chinese Welfare Council said it amounted to a "$3,000 license to kill" Chinese Americans.”

Another factor in the homicide rate is that sometimes murder is not called murder. Sometimes murderers get off with probation and a $3,000 fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258January 28, 2023 2:51 PM

A mostly black jury will never convict these officers. Truth.

by Anonymousreply 259January 28, 2023 3:22 PM

The man was on the ground outnumbered 5 to 1. Cuff him and bring him to the damn station. It is not hard - so many lives unnecessarily ruined.

by Anonymousreply 260January 28, 2023 3:36 PM

R206- Rough day in Mom's basement, huh? It's okay. I've heard that if you say Tucker Carlson's name into a mirror three times, he appears and becomes your real dad.

by Anonymousreply 261January 28, 2023 3:46 PM

Bigger riots tonight

by Anonymousreply 262January 28, 2023 3:49 PM

Thank you for sharing, r262.

[quote]Mark my words,the anger will escalate and the rioting will intensify.

[quote]If the cops were white , the whole nation would be burning .

[quote]This will Get uglier as weekend progresses

[quote]Today is going to be massively lit . They are mobilizing

by Anonymousreply 263January 28, 2023 3:57 PM

R262- Aww. Did your mouse friends tell you that?

by Anonymousreply 264January 28, 2023 4:00 PM

[quote] On Saturday, Rev. Sharpton will address Nichols’ death at the weekly NAN Saturday rally at the House of Justice in Harlem. He will then host Nichols’ parents and attorney Ben Crump on PoliticsNation at 5 p.m. on MSNBC. Rev. Sharpton will then deliver the eulogy for Nichols in Memphis on Wednesday morning.

𝐵𝑢𝑡 𝑜𝑓 𝑐𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑠𝑒 ℎ𝑒 𝑤𝑖𝑙𝑙

by Anonymousreply 265January 28, 2023 4:09 PM

[quote] your statistic is based off percentages where the race is known.

Oh, dear lord. lol

by Anonymousreply 266January 28, 2023 4:10 PM

Just a reminder, in the twisted mind of a right wing jackass of any skin color:

When white people are gathered, it is a protest. Example, a bunch of honkies running rampant in the capital building, and smearing shit on the walls - protestors.

When black people are gathered, it is a riot. Even if they are just marching down the street in justifiable outrage that someone was murdered by the police - riot. If a bunch of Proud Boys join in and start fires - they are peaceful counterprotestors, and the fires are the fault of the black people.

Any white person that disagrees is Antifa.

by Anonymousreply 267January 28, 2023 4:31 PM

Bigger riots will ensue tonight trust …

by Anonymousreply 268January 28, 2023 4:36 PM

Why do black rioters burn down their own neighborhoods? How stupid is that!

Go the neighborhood with the million dollar homes instead.

by Anonymousreply 269January 28, 2023 4:48 PM

☝🏼 exactly! If I’m Irate with you , I'm not burning my house down.

by Anonymousreply 270January 28, 2023 4:53 PM

They do it for no other reason than to annoy you, r269.

by Anonymousreply 271January 28, 2023 4:53 PM

The media wants riots

by Anonymousreply 272January 28, 2023 5:23 PM

[quote] Surprised its taken [R225] comments before someone asks "does anyone find any of these guys hot?"

They are not white so even if someone did find one of the murderers attractive they are loath to admit it at DL.

by Anonymousreply 273January 28, 2023 5:43 PM

[quote] And because it's black cops in this awful incident, you see it as racist ? I see it as progress - protesters spoke out, and something was done. Why would you want these men out on the street any longer ?

This is a test, and as the usually tedious Ben Crump brilliantly stated "a blueprint." The next time a white cop kills a Black man we will see if they are fired and criminally charged as quickly. Or if the police union immediately jumps to their defense and a phalanx of white police officers surround their homes to protect them -- neither of which happened here.

by Anonymousreply 274January 28, 2023 5:48 PM

The way they ran at his car you'd think he had just shot at somebody or robbed a bank. It's like they had an agreement that they'd pick a random guy to attack.

by Anonymousreply 275January 28, 2023 5:49 PM

R230, no one cares about your personal story. Start a blog. You type arrogant, wealthy, entitled, privileged white male. No other person would type all that shit and really expect people to read it.

by Anonymousreply 276January 28, 2023 5:51 PM

[quote]The way they ran at his car you'd think he had just shot at somebody or robbed a bank. It's like they had an agreement that they'd pick a random guy to attack.

More like they mistook for someone else who had actually committed a serious crime.

by Anonymousreply 277January 28, 2023 5:54 PM

R277 But they didn't discuss that at all. They reported that they were pulling someone over for reckless driving. There's no chatter in the audio records of "Oh, isn't that so and so the dangerous criminal? Is that the guy who just shot somebody?". There's nothing indicating that they thought he was somebody else.

by Anonymousreply 278January 28, 2023 5:57 PM

[quote]Bigger riots will ensue tonight trust …

They won’t. This is black-on-black violence, and everyone is immune to it. Blacks live with it in their communities daily, and whites see it on the news every night and tune it out.

by Anonymousreply 279January 28, 2023 6:02 PM

The cops are our enemies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280January 28, 2023 6:10 PM

𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐋𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐆𝐥𝐨𝐛𝐚𝐥 𝐍𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐮𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐓𝐲𝐫𝐞 𝐍𝐢𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐬---𝐉𝐚𝐧𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝟐𝟕, 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑

Anyone who works within a system that perpetuates state-sanctioned violence is complicit in upholding white supremacy. Assimilation into a system that is anti-Black is one of the most dangerous weapons stemming from white supremacy.

This moment affirms what we’ve known all along: Reform doesn’t work. Incremental progress is too slow. Diversifying a police department will not work. No police department, no matter how diverse, can ever overcome the reality that it is a direct descendant of slave patrols. Police will never keep our communities safe. Our call to 𝒅𝒆𝒇𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒐𝒍𝒊𝒄𝒆 includes ending traffic stops for minor traffic violations and removing police from traffic interactions.

We are in solidarity with Tyre’s family as they seek accountability and uplift their demand that the city of Memphis disband the “special” crime unit that murdered their loved one. Black Lives Matter will continue to push for an abolitionist approach to public safety that moves us swiftly towards community-driven approaches that work.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281January 28, 2023 6:17 PM

BLM doing what they do.

by Anonymousreply 282January 28, 2023 6:24 PM

Thanks, R281. This incident is excellent for raising funds for BLMs. The BLM Marxist leaders need to fund more mansion purchases.

by Anonymousreply 283January 28, 2023 6:32 PM

BLM's take is that those poor cops are themselves victims of White supremacy.

by Anonymousreply 284January 28, 2023 6:36 PM

R97 I agree. Plus, he was the father of a 4 year old son. I actually don’t know how his mother is going to continue after this.

by Anonymousreply 285January 28, 2023 6:37 PM

R279, you’re full of it . This is police brutality period! You type like a Nelly cunt

by Anonymousreply 286January 28, 2023 6:42 PM

R157 I wish I could give you a hug.

by Anonymousreply 287January 28, 2023 6:43 PM

[quote]In Harlem, Negro policemen are feared more than whites, for they have more to prove and fewer ways to prove it.

by Anonymousreply 288January 28, 2023 6:46 PM

Basically saying they're animalistic ^^^^

by Anonymousreply 289January 28, 2023 6:48 PM

[quote]BLM's take is that those poor cops are themselves victims of White supremacy.

Yes, and that’s why a jury with at least one black member will never convict these officers.

by Anonymousreply 290January 28, 2023 6:51 PM

Antifa over on reddit seems pretty quiet (73 users from +100k base). I think protests will be tame.

by Anonymousreply 291January 28, 2023 6:52 PM

[quote] I think protests will be tame.

a) It;s black on black so no white guys make the villain

b) It's the end of January and it's chilly

c) Most people had exhausted t heir outrage on Andrea Riseborough stealing the Oscar nomination that social justice demands should have gone to Danielle Deadwyler.

by Anonymousreply 292January 28, 2023 6:59 PM

My goodness, r290, what a racist posting history you have.

by Anonymousreply 293January 28, 2023 7:05 PM

I may be duplicating something already posted but this time, as linked below, things seem to be proceeding in a vastly different direction including the response from The Fraternal Order of Police union which is reacting in great variance from their normal past public positions after various incidents. And the Wall Street Journal, of all the media sites, is on top of that break with police union tradition!

Tragic though the episode will have been for Tyre Nichols and his family, this could end up being a seminal & long overdue moment that pushes police reform forward, folks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294January 28, 2023 7:19 PM

I can't visit this thread anymore. The trolls on here are sickening and it's very upsetting to me. I know, Mary but still his own beat him to death. I just can't. There is no explanation. What is going on in Memphis.

by Anonymousreply 295January 28, 2023 7:23 PM

Many posters are unconsciously racist. They claim that the police involved have no agency, no decision making ability, and that all locus of control is outside of them, they are mere puppets of color under the control of white people.

Nonsense. The only ones responsible for what happened are the police officers. They had the power to avoid it and to stop it.

And those of you who are calling for riots, you don't live in neighborhoods where it will happen, do you? You don't know many black people, do you? Ultimately, you don't give a shit about black people. All you care about is tearing everything down, like little children. All you've ever created in your life is your daily pile of shit.

by Anonymousreply 296January 28, 2023 7:58 PM

"The video is really really awful."

Why do people keep saying this? I watch a lot of Youtube cop videos, and until they had chased him down the second time, all they had done is shouted, "GET OUT OF THE CAR!" and "FACE DOWN!" and "GIMME YOUR HANDS!" as they wrestled him. Do loud voices frighten you?

It was until they had chased him down to under the street light- and one cop had gotten pepper spray in his eyes- that they snap. Even then it's still not 'Rodney King' with cops just womping on someone for no reason. They are still literally trying to get him to stop resisting. To lie face down and be cuffed. But he never relents. And they lose their tempers and hit too hard.

by Anonymousreply 297January 28, 2023 9:53 PM

We're aware of your opinions, r297...

[quote]If he had just followed orders to step out of the car, lie on his stomach and be handcuffed- he'd be alive. But he chose not to. He chose to wrestle and thrash and run and resist. And he got beat, really hard. And he died from his injuries. His decision.

by Anonymousreply 298January 28, 2023 9:58 PM

[quote] What is going on in Memphis.

The 10 most dangerous big cities in the US for 2022:

#1 Memphis, TN-MS-AR

For years they've had an utter civic breakdown of thugs murdering, robbing, and generally making the city a hell for the honest citizens. They demanded the police 𝑑𝑜 𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔. Now they will turn on the police scapegoating the entire force and things will just get worse.

by Anonymousreply 299January 28, 2023 10:03 PM

This is the thing that’s the most frightening to me about this whole thing:

I saw the three body cam videos and couldn’t see a damn thing. I didn’t see them hit him, kick him, nothing. One of the cameras actually appeared to be covered by something.

The light post camera, however, showed it all. Every punch, kick, hit with baton, macing, and the utter lack of medical care for almost a half an hour. If we had to rely solely on the body cam footage, we may not have seen this. Something needs to be done about that.

by Anonymousreply 300January 28, 2023 10:03 PM

Memphis is a high-crime city, it was before this incident and will be so after it. But this event took place in a better part of Memphis, in the newer, suburban southeast area of the city. The homes in this area, and on the street where the cops beat Tyre, has nicer, family homes with kept yards, cul-de-sacs and the like. Middle class, not the hood by any means.

The media is making is sound as if this took place in the inner city, with the hardcore special crime unit on the scene. It was no where near there.

by Anonymousreply 301January 28, 2023 10:33 PM

[quote]That’s absolute bullshit. There are millions of women killing people. What planet do you live on?

I live on Planet Earth r189, where the hell are you? Btw it wasn't said that women "never kill". Of course they do, and have. But at the same level of impersonal violence, and brutality, towards strangers? On a mass scale? NO. That's a male problem, period.

Show us these "millions of women" killers everywhere. Name the last mass shooting committed by a female shooter. I'm waiting. Name the last female slasher who killed multiple people in one setting, after breaking into their home in the middle of the night. Name the last time a group of female cops perpetrated a brutal beatdown of a citizen.

We're waiting.

by Anonymousreply 302January 28, 2023 10:39 PM

R297 What is frightening and really really awful is police officers murdering/beating to death a suspect after he’s clearly subdued.

What’s wrong with you? Are you a sociopath?

by Anonymousreply 303January 28, 2023 11:28 PM

[quote]And they lose their tempers and hit too hard.

Jesus Fucking Christ R297. You're a real piece of human excrement aren't you.

by Anonymousreply 304January 29, 2023 12:56 AM

Only 5 GOP Senators have commented

And Joe Manchin (but not Sinema ?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305January 29, 2023 3:53 AM

Only 5? That's very shabby but not unexpected.

by Anonymousreply 306January 29, 2023 4:02 AM

This is definitely lose/lose for Memphis because it is top 3 for crime in the US. The city needs effective policing and this incident makes that tougher. My answer which will never be implemented is strict stop and fresh activity to remove illegal guns from the streets. But there may be too many legal guns to even make that effective.

by Anonymousreply 307January 29, 2023 4:15 AM

Does fresh mean search R307?

by Anonymousreply 308January 29, 2023 4:17 AM

Stop and frisk obviously! Memphis is a majority. Black city so I’m sure the problems will never be adequately addressed.

by Anonymousreply 309January 29, 2023 4:18 AM

R297, as we saw in the Keenan Anderson video as well, the thrashing is not resisting. It is a normal human reaction to being tased, which causes intense pain and loss of muscle control. Putting his hands on his eyes after he had been pepper sprayed was a normal human reaction to being pepper sprayed. None of these police officers were injured, nor was he threatening them, nor is there even any evidence at all that he actually committed any crime, besides being a black guy driving in a nice suburban neighborhood where his mother lived.

by Anonymousreply 310January 29, 2023 12:27 PM

“The electrical weapon, according to TASER International, overrides the brain’s control of the body by speaking the same ‘language’ as nerves. It achieves this by emitting electric pulses that match those used by neurons, which transfer information between the brain and muscles. When these nerves are flooded with pulses that are similar to their natural frequency and strength, normal signals get drowned out and muscles contract uncontrollably.“

Thrashing while being tased is not resisting. If he were threatening to kill them etc then maybe that would be resisting. They never spoke to him like a human being or gave him the chance to just voluntarily comply, as in, “Sir, we’re putting you under arrest. We need you to put your hands behind your back.” Why does he need to be on the ground face down anyway?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311January 29, 2023 12:37 PM

On the issue of crime, making drugs illegal creates scarcity and allows people who deal in them(and in guns) to make enormous profits. If you make drugs legal, as Portugal did years ago, you could solve that problem in part because crime would no longer pay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312January 29, 2023 12:55 PM

“After the first officer roughly pulls Nichols out of the car, Nichols can be heard saying, “I didn't do anything,” as a group of officers begin to wrestle him to the ground.

One is heard yelling, “Tase him! Tase him!”

Nichols calmly says, “OK, I’m on the ground," and that he was just trying to go home. Moments later, he yells at them to “stop."

As the expose of police chat on social media revealed, it’s common for police to want to use tasers with little or no justification. Not because of resistance or to encourage compliance but just by default.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313January 29, 2023 1:05 PM

Like all cops, they'll just relocate to another city and quietly get re-hired. Getting fired is just a slap on the wrist to them.

by Anonymousreply 314January 29, 2023 1:10 PM

They're all going to prison R314. Did you see the video?

Did everyone hear all the bullshit lies the cops were saying about Nichols at the end of the video?

How Nichols drove his car directly at their car and how he put his hand on their guns and tried to take their weapons and how he "came" at them and was yelling aggressively at them from the beginning. They were bouncing lies off each other.

Beyond bizarre. Because it's all on camera. When they propped him up with his back on the car and he slid over to the ground - he was almost dead then. They had already beaten him that badly. It's a miracle he survived for another 3 days.

They all deserve serious prison time. Life for the one that cracked Nichols skull with the baton. The others should get 30 years each.

It's very clear that Nichols ran from them because he knew they were going to kill him. And he was right.

by Anonymousreply 315January 29, 2023 1:24 PM

If anyone didn't watch to watch the video because of the graphic nature then NBC News has done a very good job of showing the necessary parts of the story and cutting out the really bad parts. The story begins at 1.15. It's disturbing but watchable.

It also shows the crap the 5 officers were saying at the end. Unbelievable. They are fucked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316January 29, 2023 1:35 PM

“Even though federal records indicate that fatal shootings by police have been declining nationwide since 2015, The Washington Post’s Fatal Force database shows the opposite is true: Officers have shot and killed more people every year, reaching a record high in 2021 with 1,047 deaths. The FBI database contains only about one-third of the 7,000 fatal police shootings during this time — down from half when The Post first started tracking.“

Since there are only roughly 20,000 homicide deaths in the United States per year, if 1,000 of them are caused by fatal police shootings, 1 in 20 people who are killed annually are killed by police. And that is only counting firearms deaths, not taser deaths or deaths by beating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317January 29, 2023 2:22 PM

“In a New York State Supreme Court in Brooklyn, a former-New York City undercover police officer has revealed details of a system of corruption within the police force that involved planting drugs on innocent people. This practice, called "flaking," was used to help police officers meet quotas for busts. Robert Siegel speaks with John Marzulli of the New York Daily News about the case.“

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318January 29, 2023 2:33 PM

“A jury convicted Wester in the cases of Teresa Odom, Joshua Emanuel and Steven Vann, according to the Democrat. During Odom’s arrest, Wester was seen on body-cam footage carrying a baggie to her truck.“

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319January 29, 2023 2:40 PM

[quote] BLM's take is that those poor cops are themselves victims of White supremacy.

It is not the race of the police officer that matters, it is the race of the victim of police brutality. Police of any race do not violently murder white men for sport. BLM stands for "Black Lives Matter" -- America must assign the same value to Black lives as it assigns to white lives, which has never happened in its history. No officer acting under color of authority should place less value on a black life than they instinctively and constitutionally afford a white life.

The first U.S. police officer convicted of murder of a civilian while on duty is a black man who accidentally, and recklessly, killed a white woman.

by Anonymousreply 320January 29, 2023 3:53 PM

“On the evening of Sept. 17, 2017, Hall had been undercover when he was pinned to the ground by Boone and beaten with a baton by a third officer, Randy Hays, who both mistook Hall for a protester.“

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321January 29, 2023 4:02 PM

I'm glad the fire department personnel are getting heat on this as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322January 29, 2023 4:29 PM

Protests were mostly peaceful and fizzled pretty quickly. That’s only because the officers were black

by Anonymousreply 323January 29, 2023 4:44 PM

I have a solution for our illegal immigration problem: send every single one of them to Memphis or Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 324January 29, 2023 5:09 PM

[quote] I have a solution for our illegal immigration problem: send every single one of them to Memphis or Detroit.

Governors like Abbott and DeSantis probably wouldn't send migrants to Tennessee because the governor there is Republican. I'm surprised though that Abbott or DeSantis haven't sent migrants Michigan in the middle of a cold winter night.

by Anonymousreply 325January 29, 2023 5:14 PM

You sound like you've had a serious trauma in your life, r323.

by Anonymousreply 326January 29, 2023 6:06 PM

[quote]quotas for busts.

Why is this even a thing? All this does is lead to planting evidence and other bullshit that victimizes innocent people.

by Anonymousreply 327January 29, 2023 7:04 PM

R323 No, it’s because the cops have already been charged with murder. Usually it takes months, or even years before cops are charged with anything, and often they are never punished. People protest that.

by Anonymousreply 328January 29, 2023 7:30 PM

Memphis "Scorpion Unit" disbanded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329January 29, 2023 8:43 PM

Does anyone know if there are movies or series in development about this? I'm ready to play the police chief.

by Anonymousreply 330January 29, 2023 8:48 PM

Who hasn't been signed up for a rewards program against his will? That's due to quotas on employees.

It seems obvious that putting that kind of pressure on cops who have significant power is a particularly bad idea. Whether it's rural cops and driving violations or urban ones and drugs, it creates needless tension between police and citizens and is practically requiring them to lie. When will we learn?

BTW, I'm not excusing the cops here. Just commenting on quotas. These cops are violent thugs/sadists who belong behind bars.

by Anonymousreply 331January 30, 2023 12:44 AM

Phabian is new one

Police tried to pull over Phabian Bynaum, 19, around 4 p.m. Thursday as he sped along US 190, between the towns of Cameron and Milano outside of Austin, with passengers Davarius Bynaum, 20, and Malik Thomas, 21, cops said.

The three young men were recent graduates and athletes at Cameron High School, Fox 7 Austin reported. It was not immediately clear if the Bynaums were related.

Phabian lost control of his vehicle while trying to pass another car as authorities chased him, according to a release from the Texas Department of Public Safety. His vehicle crashed into a tree, barreled through a fence, flipped and then caught on fire in a field, officials said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332January 30, 2023 2:55 AM

The Police Chief says there's no indication that Nichols did anything to be pulled over for. Um, how about your Officer's reports? Without even getting all the facts straight she's not backing her Officers. Bad idea.

Near the end of the footage- when the guys are comparing notes- one says that Nichols was weaving in and out of traffic and would have hit his cruiser had the Officer not swerved. Nichols ignored all their attempts to get him to pull over, til they had to ambush him at the red light making a left turn. He refused to get out of the vehicle then, once they dragged him out, one cop said he went for his gun.

But let's just stick with the headline: "Bloodthirsty Cops Out For A Thrill-Kill Murder Defenseless Man In Cold Blood!".

by Anonymousreply 333January 30, 2023 3:31 AM

Actually, how about we stick with the absolute lack of credibility of everything else the officers claimed? Why would we give these statements any more credence?

by Anonymousreply 334January 30, 2023 3:50 AM

"Comparing notes" equals let's get our fabricated stories aligned to cover our asses.

by Anonymousreply 335January 30, 2023 3:51 AM

[quote]Who hasn't been signed up for a rewards program against his will? That's due to quotas on employees.

But that's fixable. Giving an innocent person a criminal record because their precint wants them to male sure a minimum level of crime is maintained is total bullshit. That means they actually encourage crime.

by Anonymousreply 336January 30, 2023 5:52 AM

All of it was filmed and none of those things they were crapping on about at the end of the video ever happened R333.

That's why they were all fired then charged and why they are not being supported by the Police Chief.

Because they violently killed a man for no reason whatsoever. End of story R333.

Are the 5 ex-cop murderers in prison or allowed out on bail I wonder?

by Anonymousreply 337January 30, 2023 6:10 AM

"Because they violently killed a man for no reason whatsoever. End of story [R333]."

Right, because who doesn't want to spend the rest of their natural life in a jail cell?

I listened to every word they said on those videos (including "Give us your hands!" yelled like 40 times). I believe they thought they had done a good job, but were unaware they went too far- until he died three days later..

by Anonymousreply 338January 30, 2023 9:33 AM

If they were "unaware" that repeatedly punching and kicking an already subdued man is "too far" they barely deserve to be members of the human race, let alone continue as cops.

by Anonymousreply 339January 30, 2023 12:04 PM

Three members of the Memphis, Tennessee fire department were fired on Monday after an investigation into the death of Tyre Nichols revealed they “failed to conduct an adequate patient assessment on the victim,” according to the fire chief.

“Our investigation has concluded that the two EMTs responded based on the initial nature of the call (person pepper sprayed) and information they were told on the scene and failed to conduct an adequate patient assessment of Mr. Nichols,” Fire Chief Gina Sweat said in a statement. “After their initial interaction with Mr. Nichols, they requested an ambulance to respond.”

Sweat added when the ambulance arrived, nearly 15 minutes after the fire truck arrived, the emergency personnel initiated patient care and transported Nichols to St. Francis Hospital.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340January 31, 2023 3:20 AM

[quote]I believe they thought they had done a good job, but were unaware they went too far- until he died three days later.

You're fucking insane R338. We all saw the videos. Stop pretending and trying to making excuses for their fatal violence.

by Anonymousreply 341January 31, 2023 3:25 AM

R341, It's a troll. For a few days I couldn't visit this thread, they were upsetting me so much.

by Anonymousreply 342January 31, 2023 3:34 AM

R10 = Defacto pretending to be European

by Anonymousreply 343January 31, 2023 3:34 AM

I am beginning to believe, at the very least, that 95% or more of cops, are total psychopathic, pieces of shit.

Actually, let me reword this:

I believe that 95% of employed law enforcement officers who are in high ranking leadership positions, are psychopathic, pieces of shit, along with their local, top, political leaders and state governors.

This (police brutality) doesn’t happen in a vacuum, just because it’s discussed within various echo chambers, with differing or polarized, opposing perceptions.

If ACAB?

👆🏼 There’s a reason why that is.

by Anonymousreply 344January 31, 2023 5:29 AM

Now they also suspended or fired a white cop that hitherto had not been mentioned at all.

So it took them a few more days/weeks to acknowledge this cop. Hmm, wonder why?

by Anonymousreply 345January 31, 2023 5:54 AM

R345 He wasn't a cop, I think he was an EMT worker who arrived on this scene along with the Fire Lieutenant, who wouldn't even get the fuck out the car, against policy. Even emergency rescue failed this brother. May all these people fry.

by Anonymousreply 346January 31, 2023 6:23 AM

𝑽𝒊𝒄𝒆 𝑷𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝑯𝒂𝒓𝒓𝒊𝒔 remind people who she is and will attend the funeral on Wednesday of Tyre Nichols, who died after being beaten by Memphis, Tenn., police during a traffic stop. Harris will travel to Memphis for the services and was invited by Nichols’s family, the vice president’s office told The Hill. She will be joined by other Biden administration officials, including Keisha Lance Bottoms, director for the 𝑂𝑓𝑓𝑖𝑐𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑃𝑢𝑏𝑙𝑖𝑐 𝐸𝑛𝑔𝑎𝑔𝑒𝑚𝑒𝑛𝑡, and senior adviser to the president Mitch Landrieu.

by Anonymousreply 347January 31, 2023 10:05 PM

R346 Yeah, it pisses me off as how all these people failed Tyre. I wonder if the EMS/fire department could be sued as well.

by Anonymousreply 348February 2, 2023 6:58 PM

I was going to suggest these are all low IQ workers, among the implicated Cops and Emergency services. But low IQ people can surely have empathy and compassion. Something else is creating this executionist culture among employees. It reminds me a bit of the infamous Kitty Genovese case. But it's worrisome to see in professions where people are PAID to have empathy and compassion. Even cops. They should be expected to perform with some human insight.

by Anonymousreply 349February 2, 2023 7:05 PM

I think some people get into law enforcement, emergency services, and healthcare partially for power trips and ego and likely have very little compassion. I will never completely trust anyone working in those fields.

by Anonymousreply 350February 2, 2023 8:45 PM

[quote] Keisha Lance Bottoms, director for the Office of Public Engagement

and Bottom Shaming

by Anonymousreply 351February 2, 2023 8:57 PM

The number of involved officers has jumped from five to twelve. This is such a bizarre and sad story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352February 8, 2023 10:15 AM

[quote] The number of involved officers has jumped

The ripples are spreading. I called it about them scapegoating the entire force.

Apparently the crime of these additional people is they were sent a picture.

Officer Demetrius Haley — who was fired from his job after the killing — took two photographs of the critically injured Nichols driver on his personal phone, according to a state document obtained by the Memphis news station WREG.

The 30-year-old officer texted the photos of Nichols, who was propped against a car as he was unable to sit up on his own, to two fellow cops, a civilian employee of the police department and a female acquaintance, the record states.

A sixth person also received the pictures, according to the document, which the Memphis Police Department submitted to a state board to request the five officers charged in Nichols’ death be decertified and ineligible to work as cops in Tennessee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353February 8, 2023 11:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!