Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tell Us Your Car Buying Stories

I’ve only bought a few cars in my life, and I paid cash for all those shitboxes. But what’s it like to buy a new car the American way?

Which half wins: Your male side with its unflappable negotiating tactics, or your homo side that squeals because the Miata comes in yellow?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2023 3:37 AM

Today you can do most or all of the negotiating online before you even go into the dealership. Helps if you're not good face to face and in case the dealership is discriminatory for any reason - race, gender, sexuality, appearance, anything.

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2023 3:16 AM

Costco has a great program. So does USAA.

The car prices are fixed as they’ve already been negotiated by the companies.

It took me only one hour at the car dealership to sign paperwork and I was out of there

by Anonymousreply 2January 27, 2023 3:22 AM

TrueCar is a great program too.

You input what car you want and where you live. Car dealers in the area all present their best price and you choose.

by Anonymousreply 3January 27, 2023 3:25 AM

Ive usually driven crap boxes because I hate payments but my dear old Toyota developed a pricey oil leak. Plus, I wanted the new safety features too.

Went to a small town dealership, drove every used car they had and ended up with a Rav 4. They went so over the top with my trade I didn’t negotiate much.

The test driving time took longer than then actual purchase. I was outta there in about 2 hours, in a freshly washed car with a full tank of gas.

My old car was sold by the end of the next day. Corollas, man. So boring but an investment that pays off.

by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2023 3:27 AM

Well, for me it was the Jack Benny side.

“A rich man is one who isn’t afraid to ask the salesperson to show him something cheaper” ~ Jack Benny

by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2023 3:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!