Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cool Stories Behind Well-Known Songs

I’m sure we’ve had a similar thread but maybe we have new DLers with fresh songs to share. I love learning the histories behind songs, whether old or new.

Mine is Midnight Special by Leadbelly, which was a big hit for Credence Clearwater Revival. This song resonates with me because I grew up in Sugar Land not far from the prison and the sugar factory and a train filled with sugar cane came through every night at 10 PM; if I heard the signal, I knew I was up too late. It’s not the same time as the Midnight Special, but it looms large in my memories.

John and Alan Lomax, in their book, Best Loved American Folk Songs, told a credible story identifying the Midnight Special as a train from Houston shining its light into a cell in the Sugar Land Prison. They also describe Ledbetter's version as "the Negro jailbird's ballad to match Hard Times Poor Boy. Like so many American folk songs, its hero is not a man but a train." The light of the train is seen as the light of salvation, the train which could take them away from the prison walls. It is highly reminiscent of the imagery of such gospel songs as "Let the Light from Your Lighthouse Shine on Me". Carl Sandburg had a different view. He believed the subject of the song would rather be run over by a train than spend more time in jail.[12]

If you ever go to Houston,/ Boys, you better walk right,/ And you better not squabble/ And you better not fight./ Benson Crocker will arrest you,/ Jimmy Boone will take you down./ You can bet your bottom dollar/ That you're Sugarland bound./

by Anonymousreply 0January 27, 2023 2:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!