Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

M&M's are DEAD to me!

Don't try looking for M&M's at the candy counter: starting today, you're shopping for Ma&Ya's. Days after retiring its popular — and unexpectedly divisive — "spokescandies," the world-famous candy brand has also retired its world-famous name. New spokesperson Maya Rudolph revealed the switch in an announcement video that premiered online Thursday.

Ethan Alter Ethan Alter·Senior Writer, Yahoo Entertainment Thu, January 26, 2023 at 4:57 AM HST

Don't try looking for M&M's at the candy counter: starting today, you're shopping for Ma&Ya's. Days after retiring its popular — and unexpectedly divisive — "spokescandies," the world-famous candy brand has also retired its world-famous name. New spokesperson Maya Rudolph revealed the switch in an announcement video that premiered online Thursday.

"Since we all love M&M's — and let's face it, me — it only makes sense that I am renaming America's favorite chocolate candies 'Ma&Ya's,'" the Saturday Night Live stalwart says in the 15-second spot. Rudolph goes on to reveal the personal reason for that particular change: "It's a play on my name." (Watch the ad above.)

That's not the only change that Rudolph has instituted since Red, Yellow, Purple and the rest of the animated spokescandies got kicked to the curb. Each individual Ma&Ya will feature her face in place of the traditional "M" that defined the M&M's era.

"I love M&M's and you and I love me," Rudolph said in another recent online ad. "That's why I'm happy to announce that soon America's favorite chocolate candy will have a picture of yours truly painted right on them."

Life moves pretty fast in the candy world: Rudolph was only announced as the new M&M's spokesperson on Monday, a change that followed conservative media-led complaints about the updated designs of the diverse spokescandies cast. Fox News host Tucker Carlson was particularly unnerved by the brand's "fresh, modern take" on the characters, seemingly complaining that female candies — Purple, Green and Brown — lacked sex appeal.

Although social media critics blamed Carlson for M&M's casting switch, a spokesperson for the brand told Yahoo Entertainment that the Rudolph-led campaign had been in the works for some time. "It isn't a reaction to but rather is in support of our M&M's brand, which we will always continue to evolve to bring people together through the power of fun."

The spokesperson also confirms that this week's announcements signal the kick-off for M&M's Super Bowl campaign — something that had been widely suspected on Twitter. That means viewers can expect to see a Rudolph-led TV spot among the many other star-studded ads set to play during Fox's telecast of Super Bowl LVII on Feb. 12.

Meanwhile, the supposedly retired spokescandies are keeping busy in other venues. Orange dropped a Spotify playlist, while Yellow is taking to Instagram to try and become the new face of Snickers. And expect to see more unexpected candy-related cameos as the Super Bowl approaches. "The original colorful cast of M&M's spokescandies are, at present, pursuing personal passions," the M&M spokesperson says. "Check out what the M&M's spokescandies are up to over the next few weeks before, during and after Super Bowl LVII."

As further evidence that Ma&Ya's will have a short shelf life, the brand is directing fans to its official site to purchase limited-run supplies ahead of the Super Bowl. Based on the Twitter reaction, it sounds like there will be some takers, although not everyone is in on the joke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 27, 2023 7:39 PM

[quote] Days after retiring its popular — and unexpectedly divisive — "spokescandies," the world-famous candy brand has also retired its world-famous name.

Never heard about any of this. People just eat M&Ms. No one gives a shit about spokescandies or any of this nonsense. It never caught on. They’re drumming up this supposed controversy for publicity.

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2023 12:42 AM

[quote] They’re drumming up this supposed controversy for publicity.

I think they're just doing it as a promotion for the Superbowl.

Still, it's really dumb.

by Anonymousreply 2January 27, 2023 12:44 AM

[quote]Although social media critics blamed Carlson for M&M's casting switch, a spokesperson for the brand told Yahoo Entertainment that the Rudolph-led campaign had been in the works for some time

Of course. The notion that Carlson has the power to force a major company to change its marketing was always patently ludicrous. We're just watching a great brand disintegrate before our eyes due to the company's own decisions.

by Anonymousreply 3January 27, 2023 12:45 AM

Maya seems tiresome. Her variety show was horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2023 12:48 AM

This is fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2023 12:52 AM

I remember the white-wing freaking out at the de-sexification of M&M's as if a) candies were sexy in the first place and b) that they were less sexy after some changes.

It's just the idiots being their usual idiotic selves.

by Anonymousreply 6January 27, 2023 1:00 AM

Puerile.

by Anonymousreply 7January 27, 2023 1:08 AM

I haven't been this devastated since the demise of Mr Peanut.

by Anonymousreply 8January 27, 2023 1:18 AM

Apparently the advertisers all went to school stupid and came out the same way.

by Anonymousreply 9January 27, 2023 1:22 AM

OP, you suck at copy and pasting.

by Anonymousreply 10January 27, 2023 1:30 AM

It's a crisis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 27, 2023 1:32 AM

Such a non-issue, culture war psycho-drama. Republicans are such crybabies. I'm pissed Hershey's gave in.

by Anonymousreply 12January 27, 2023 3:46 AM

I assume this is all a joke.

by Anonymousreply 13January 27, 2023 3:48 AM

I know the notion of a "sell out" has changed drastically. No one really thinks twice about using their name and likeness and content (songs etc.) to sell products and services from major corporations - and unless they have some issue with the company, why not make the money. I'm just sometimes shocked at breadth of fairly major celebrities selling us everything all the time.

by Anonymousreply 14January 27, 2023 3:52 AM

R8, You lie! Mr. Peanut thrives still!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 27, 2023 6:14 AM

R12 Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 16January 27, 2023 6:15 AM

Well one less candy I will be buying and eating.

by Anonymousreply 17January 27, 2023 6:33 AM

[quote] Such a non-issue, culture war psycho-drama. Republicans are such crybabies. I'm pissed Hershey's gave in.

Hershey hasn’t had anything to do with M&Ms since right after WWII

Mars makes them now, without help from Hershey.

by Anonymousreply 18January 27, 2023 6:42 AM

Well played OP. so far the majority of posters above have shown they can’t/won’t read and make sweeping statements based on dog whistle titles and by-lines.

It’s a temporary marketing gimmick fuckwits, save the outrage for the next dog whistle talking point you glance at.

by Anonymousreply 19January 27, 2023 6:42 AM

I can’t believe that pervert Tucker the Peanut Fucker was sexualizing M&Ms

What a pig

by Anonymousreply 20January 27, 2023 6:55 AM

[quote]Never heard about any of this. People just eat M&Ms. No one gives a shit about spokescandies or any of this nonsense

Oh R1. You're missing out on some prime rigntwing nuttery. Here's just a taste from Fox News person Tucker Carlson last year when the "Green M&M" was changed from wearing go-go boots to wearing sneakers.

[quote]“M&M’s will not be satisfied until every last cartoon character is deeply unappealing and totally androgynous. Until the moment you wouldn’t want to have a drink with any one of them. That’s the goal.”

This, of course, caused people to respond on social media to make jokes about Tucker Carlson wanting to fuck cartoon candy mascots and whatnot. It's was pretty silly. But it was FOR SURE a thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 27, 2023 10:01 AM

Note to men: Don't ever make the gesture in r21. 😉

by Anonymousreply 22January 27, 2023 6:45 PM

R1 is a right winger, I have them blocked. This is what they do, deny the truth of literally anything that serves their argument at that point in time. R1 knows damn well what the controversy is over M&Ms and who is behind it. They're playing dumb to "own the libs."

by Anonymousreply 23January 27, 2023 7:31 PM

Lame and cringeworthy. The advertising industry reeks of hard sell desperation more and more these days.

by Anonymousreply 24January 27, 2023 7:35 PM

R23, we know who is behind “the controversy”. If you read OP’s post you will see it’s the company that makes M&M’s, Mars.

by Anonymousreply 25January 27, 2023 7:39 PM

Even if a joke, this is cringeworthy and still indicates ad industry desperation.

by Anonymousreply 26January 27, 2023 7:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!