Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How do you feel about ranch dressing?

And what does that say about you?

It's seen as quintessentially midwestern but it originated in Santa Barbara.

How do you feel about it and what do you douse it on?

by Anonymousreply 85March 9, 2023 6:48 PM

Nasty stuff.Mayonnaise too. Nasty. I do enjoy the Green Goddess dressing but typically only use oil and vinegar for salad.

by Anonymousreply 1January 26, 2023 9:22 PM

I've had good homemade ranch, but the bottled stuff is pretty bad. It's a salad dressing and a dip but it does NOT belong on sandwiches. I hate that trend.

by Anonymousreply 2January 26, 2023 9:25 PM

Just a way to add even more fat to fried foods

by Anonymousreply 3January 26, 2023 9:26 PM

I like it occasionally as a dip, but not on salad.

by Anonymousreply 4January 26, 2023 9:28 PM

Btw, op. I grew up consuming premade salad dressing and something has changed with the product. The products aren't good anymore, I can taste the sugar in these dressings and it tastes vile.

by Anonymousreply 5January 26, 2023 9:30 PM

I'm American and this is a dressing I would never buy or order. I would use it if someone was serving wings with celery and carrots though. yes, I prefer it with my wings over blue cheese. *And* I lived in Buffalo for over a decade.

by Anonymousreply 6January 26, 2023 9:30 PM

I put good if it's home made Or if the restaurant actually makes it instead of opening a container. It actually is good when made from scratch. But It's probably the easiest dressing to tell if it's not. AND IT IS NASTY IF IT'S NOT. I cannot believe how the premade, disgusting, PUKE is all over the place.

And I love when a wing, salad, pizza place etc. not only has that shitty ranch on offer, but wants to charge people a buck or two extra for a tiny little container of that vomit. Yet it's on every such menu that ever existed so people must buy it. Yes, I love your premade vomit. Give me ten little cups please!

Jesus. Have some standards.

by Anonymousreply 7January 26, 2023 9:38 PM

I don't really have much use for it. Like R1, I've been using Green Goddess, which I consider to be a form of Ranch, but I'll probably tire of it soon.

My favorite salad dressing is Catalina. I'm also fond of Wishbone's Russian Dressing, which is red, with a pronounced celery seed flavor. I like it on Reuben sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 8January 26, 2023 9:45 PM

I think I always knew Hidden Valley Ranch was in California. I like it made from the packet when I was a kid but haven’t had it in years. Most bottled dressings don’t taste good to me so I don’t know what that brand is like.

by Anonymousreply 9January 26, 2023 9:51 PM

But not on pizza!

by Anonymousreply 10January 26, 2023 9:53 PM

My favorite dressing since covid began has been excellent olive oil with jarred capers and a splash of the caper brine.

I also enjoy pumpkin seed oil with lemon and some honey.

I also like sesame dressing made with mix of oils, soy sauce and a bit of roasted garlic - keep this in the fridge. A little goes a long way.

If it's creamy prepared/commercial dressing I'd rather creamy French than ranch.

by Anonymousreply 11January 26, 2023 9:54 PM

Like it with celery sticks and wings. I usually make a vinaigrette or Caesar dressing for salads. Vinaigrettes are so easy to make I don't why anyone buys them.

by Anonymousreply 12January 26, 2023 9:54 PM

[quote]R10: But not on pizza!

The first time I ever saw that done was by my best friend's dad at a Cici's Buffet in the late 90s. I was flabbergasted that anyone would use it that way. (I tried a little bit on one piece of pepperoni pizza and didn't like it. It seemed like a quick path to a heart attack.)

by Anonymousreply 13January 26, 2023 9:57 PM

R7 has a barf fetish.

by Anonymousreply 14January 26, 2023 10:00 PM

[quote]I would use it if someone was serving wings with celery and carrots though. yes, I prefer it with my wings over blue cheese.

Me too, but I also like it on chicken.

by Anonymousreply 15January 26, 2023 10:01 PM

I never liked any bottled ranch dressing until I recently discovered Bolthouse Farms version made with yogurt. It might not taste exactly like traditional ranch (I guess because of the yogurt instead of buttermilk) but it’s tasty and the texture is like homemade. Most bottled dressings are too thick and have a weird mucus-y texture. In the refrigerated section near the produce

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 26, 2023 10:31 PM

That is exactly what is wrong with the concept of ranch dressing, the texture. Puke.

by Anonymousreply 17January 26, 2023 10:40 PM

I love it as a dip for French fries, although the sheer fat involved in that means I only get that once in a blue moon.

by Anonymousreply 18January 26, 2023 11:01 PM

It's ambrosia for Frauen.

by Anonymousreply 19January 26, 2023 11:02 PM

I won't willingly consume blue cheese dressing either but if it is snuck into a dish and I happen to eat it, blue cheese tastes good. The ranch doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 20January 26, 2023 11:06 PM

Most people want to bathe in my special homemade ranch dressing after sampling it--it's really that good!

by Anonymousreply 21January 27, 2023 12:22 AM

It’s fine.

by Anonymousreply 22January 27, 2023 12:26 AM

My parents and I are shopping for adult toys right now

by Anonymousreply 23January 27, 2023 12:27 AM

Anyone putting ranch dressing on pizza is complete fucking trash.

by Anonymousreply 24January 27, 2023 4:08 PM

EVOO, salt & pepper and I'm good. Occasional ranch on a wedge of iceberg lettuce, yum.

by Anonymousreply 25January 27, 2023 4:17 PM

I like ranch with hot spicy chicken whether it be wings or chopped breast in a salad. that's it. I have friends who the entire family dip their pizza in it and use it as a condiment for everything.

I had a coworker (who was a lazy fucking cunt whore) who would eat pizza with, get this, hot sauce, honey AND ranch drizzled all over it. And she chewed with her mouth open. cunt.

by Anonymousreply 26January 27, 2023 4:46 PM

Raaaanch!

by Anonymousreply 27January 27, 2023 4:47 PM

How do you feel about shit?

by Anonymousreply 28January 27, 2023 6:05 PM

Ina's Ranch dressing recipe. What's not to like?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 27, 2023 6:13 PM

It's a good fat. Eat all you want. Love to dip chicken wings in it. Low carb and loving it!

by Anonymousreply 30January 27, 2023 6:17 PM

RANCH!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 27, 2023 6:22 PM

[quote]It's a good fat.

The fuck are you talking about??? It's made from buttermilk not avocados, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 32January 27, 2023 6:31 PM

If you're a genuine fat whore, you know the best dressing choice is Creamy Italian. Even higher in fat than ranch, and much more delicious.

by Anonymousreply 33January 27, 2023 6:37 PM

On The Real World, London (mostly American cast), they went food shopping and one of the Americans almost had a meltdown because he couldn't find RANCH dressing. I remember watching that and thinking: what a yahoo.

For people who dislike the texture of the bottled ranch, why not just get the dry mix. That would probably cure the texture problem.

I do like Doritos Cool Ranch.

by Anonymousreply 34January 27, 2023 6:57 PM

I like to dip pizza in it. My cat lovvves ranch dressing

by Anonymousreply 35January 27, 2023 7:01 PM

Sorry, OP. What is "ranch dressing," please?

DL Teli

by Anonymousreply 36January 27, 2023 7:04 PM

r27 -- what was the commercial that pronunciation of "raaaaanch" from? I was a short-lived meme here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 37January 27, 2023 7:06 PM

I like it with pizza and chicken wings. My favorite is blue cheese though ( which I don't have with pizza).

by Anonymousreply 38January 27, 2023 7:06 PM

For R37:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 27, 2023 7:26 PM

Western Lite

by Anonymousreply 40January 27, 2023 7:31 PM

R37–I only knew it from here. I don’t think I ever saw the ad at r39.

by Anonymousreply 41January 27, 2023 7:43 PM

I'm too boring to ever eat salad, but why on earth would I care what salad dressing someone else uses? How odd.

by Anonymousreply 42January 27, 2023 7:46 PM

Speaking on Green Goddess dressing, if anyone has a favorite recipe, please post it or a link

by Anonymousreply 43January 27, 2023 8:02 PM

I ONLY have it from a bottle. From the Whole Foods refrigerated salad dressing section. Maybe it’s fresher that way? It’s fine. I dip carrots in it. Sometimes pretzels or even chips if feeling like a glutton.

by Anonymousreply 44January 27, 2023 8:07 PM

For Buffalo chicken wings, I like blue cheese dressing better than ranch.

In the early days of salad bars (e.g., Sizzlers), I went nuts trying the blue cheese dressing. My mom never bought blue cheese dressing (we had 1,000 Island) and I thought this was really special (blue cheese dressing).

by Anonymousreply 45January 27, 2023 8:10 PM

Blue cheese dressing, you say?

by Anonymousreply 46January 27, 2023 8:12 PM

Call me a plebe but I love ranch. Marie's and Litehouse are good fridge commercial ranches and I've been known to deal with Ken's or Kraft if needed. Don't like Hidden Valley bottled ranch.

Of course, homemade is better.

by Anonymousreply 47January 27, 2023 8:25 PM

OP- How Do YOU feel about COCK RINGS?

by Anonymousreply 48January 27, 2023 8:27 PM

RAAANCH!!!

by Anonymousreply 49January 27, 2023 10:06 PM

I only like homemade ranch dressing and it's best with buttermilk.

by Anonymousreply 50January 27, 2023 10:09 PM

[quote]Speaking on Green Goddess dressing

You're standing on a frozen puddle of it while orating?

by Anonymousreply 51January 28, 2023 6:10 PM

the trend to serve it with french fries is horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 52January 28, 2023 6:21 PM

Checked the produce section today. Only one brand of Ranch-Mazzetti. Maybe five different brands of bleu cheese. Odd because bleu cheese works best as a dressing on wedge salads, which are not as popular as tossed salads, in my uninformed and uneducated opinion. People must be pouring a lot of it on wings.

by Anonymousreply 53January 28, 2023 7:38 PM

Ranch dressing?

Raunch nasty!

by Anonymousreply 54January 28, 2023 7:53 PM

Oh good, more mega-sensitive nellie prisspots who lose their minds over condiments.

by Anonymousreply 55January 28, 2023 7:55 PM

Leaves a funky aftertaste.

by Anonymousreply 56January 28, 2023 7:57 PM

I much prefer a high quality blue cheese dressing over ranch. Ranch has way too much msg in it.

by Anonymousreply 57January 28, 2023 8:11 PM

R55 made me laugh!

Hellmann’s!

by Anonymousreply 58January 28, 2023 9:25 PM

We prefer ranch UNdressing.

by Anonymousreply 59January 28, 2023 10:10 PM

It's not something I crave. After reading another DL thread, I bought a 365 bottle at Whole Foods a couple of years ago. Should have been called garlic powder dressing.

by Anonymousreply 60January 29, 2023 12:15 AM

This vegan alternative is so good on so many things. I prefer it over regular ranch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 29, 2023 2:21 AM

I eat it with fried dill pickles (at my favorite BBQ restaurant), and nothing else.

I guess I'm trashy enough with the whole "fried-dill-pickle" part that the ranch in those circumstances hardly registers.

by Anonymousreply 62January 29, 2023 2:41 AM

I like Litehouse foods Homestyle Ranch in the refrigerator section. It is flavorful, and not sweet. Most of the shelf stable bottled ranch varieties are just loaded with sugar.

I'd like to see Green Goddess make a comeback. I did get some Seven Seas Green Goddess recently, and it was a pale, sugary shadow if its former self.

I'd love it if one of the refrigerator brands came out with a Green Goddess. I am far too lazy to make my own salad dressing, what with all of the mincing of herbs, and whatnot.

by Anonymousreply 63January 29, 2023 2:47 AM

I like Litehouse foods Homestyle Ranch in the refrigerator section. It is flavorful, and not sweet. Most of the shelf stable bottled ranch varieties are just loaded with sugar.

I'd like to see Green Goddess make a comeback. I did get some Seven Seas Green Goddess recently, and it was a pale, sugary shadow if its former self.

I'd love it if one of the refrigerator brands came out with a Green Goddess. I am far too lazy to make my own salad dressing, what with all of the mincing of herbs, and whatnot.

by Anonymousreply 64January 29, 2023 2:47 AM

Trader Joe's sells Green Goddess dressing, its in the produce section and it is refrigerated. Their dressing is made with 🥑 not mayonnaise. Mayo is revolting.

by Anonymousreply 65January 29, 2023 4:24 AM

How did the flyovers come up with the idea to put a salad dressing on pizza? So bizarre. Complete fucking trash.

by Anonymousreply 66January 29, 2023 4:29 AM

[quote]How do you feel about ranch dressing?

How does it feel about me?

by Anonymousreply 67January 29, 2023 4:37 AM

If "they" started selling chervil then you could make your own 70's green goddess dressing.

by Anonymousreply 68January 29, 2023 4:47 AM

I like the industrial restaurant ranch dressing that probably comes in 5-gallon barrels with a tap on the front, so restaurants can fill those little clear plastic condiment containers more easily. It's thin and it tastes more like the homemade stuff from the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 69January 29, 2023 4:49 AM

[quote] It's thin and it tastes more like the homemade stuff from the 1970s.

What? No it doesn't. Put the drugs away, you took too many. Actual homemade ranch is delicious. The industrial crap you get in restaurants is complete shit. And good ranch is not "thin." Christ you have abysmal tastes.

by Anonymousreply 70January 29, 2023 4:43 PM

[quote] Put the drugs away, you took too many.

Don’t hide ‘em, divide ‘em.

by Anonymousreply 71January 29, 2023 4:45 PM

[quote] How do you feel about ranch dressing?

Why do you need to be feeling about in it? Did you drop something in it? Well, I guess use a surgical glove? Or maybe a chopstick?

I hope you find it though!

by Anonymousreply 72January 29, 2023 4:49 PM

I was trying to be a little flip and lighthearted at r69, forgetting that no one on here has a sense of humor anymore, and that there are some people who are screaming hairy cunts over every little teeny tiny issue that comes up.

As many of us already said earlier in the thread, the bottled ranch is too thick with a weird texture. The type of ranch I like is thinner than the gross bottled stuff, and most restaurants don't have the kind I'm talking about, but the ones that do all have the same thinner than the bottled type, which also tastes more like homemade and seems to have some dill in it as well.

I'm sorry that someone liking something makes you so angry and miserable, r70.

by Anonymousreply 73January 29, 2023 11:57 PM

I use Ken's Steakhouse Buttermilk Ranch as a vegetable dip. It's tangy enough for me. When ranch dressing first came out, supermarkets sold packets to mix up, so semi-homemade I guess. At that time there was also a packet sold with a cruet that one mixed with oil and vinegar. My stepmother used that cruet for a homemade dressing that included a clove of garlic. I wish I knew what she added, because it was pretty tasty and did not drown the salad.

by Anonymousreply 74January 30, 2023 1:01 AM

Bottled Green Goddess is just Creamy Italian with green food coloring added to it.

by Anonymousreply 75January 30, 2023 2:03 AM

I love it as a salad dressing. But for dip I use ranch DIP.

by Anonymousreply 76January 30, 2023 2:23 AM

I don't think I've ever had green goddess in my life. It seems so retro.

by Anonymousreply 77January 30, 2023 2:28 AM

I and my guests love it over my homemade apple pie. It can cause flatulence, though, which my guests and I giggle about when we're partaking of armagnac in my tastefully appointed living room.

by Anonymousreply 78January 30, 2023 2:33 AM

It's a furniture cleaner. It's ice cream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79March 9, 2023 4:56 PM

I use it as lube when I fuck your mom, stupid cunt fuck OP.

by Anonymousreply 80March 9, 2023 5:01 PM

how common is it that ranch is offered with a side order of french fries across the country? Approx what year did that begin?

by Anonymousreply 81March 9, 2023 5:03 PM

It’s better than no dressing at all, and better than the dressings that are red, and if it conferred any health benefits I’d choose it over vinaigrette, but it doesn’t.

by Anonymousreply 82March 9, 2023 5:41 PM

I've never been big on Ranch dressing, and usually prefer Kraft Tuscan House Italian, or to just make my own w/balsamic vinegar.

Where dairy dressing is concerned: I MUCH prefer bleu cheese. And I only ever purchased "The Ultimate Blue Cheese" dressing from Marzetti (huge chunks of cheese!). It was discontinued some time ago. Because of course it was.

Bottled Ranch is disgusting across the board. ESPECIALLY that Hidden Valley shit. So if it isn't well-made in house, I want nothing to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 83March 9, 2023 6:33 PM

It’s an option.

by Anonymousreply 84March 9, 2023 6:47 PM

I prefer chunky bleu cheese dressing.

by Anonymousreply 85March 9, 2023 6:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!