Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NBC Is Throwing Carol Burnett a Giant 90th Birthday Bash

Comedy legend Carol Burnett turns 90 this spring, and she’s celebrating the way icons do — with a prime-time network-TV salute. Vulture hears NBC has greenlit production on Carol Burnett: 90 Years of Laughter + Love, a two-hour special featuring musical and comedy tributes from a small galaxy of celebrities, including Katy Perry, Amy Poehler, Billy Porter, Bernadette Peters, Cher, Steve Carell, Tracee Ellis Ross, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Vicki Lawrence, and Jane Lynch. The special, to be taped in March in front of a star-packed audience, will air on Burnett’s actual birthday, April 26, and will also stream on Peacock.

Executive producer Mark Bracco says he and his colleagues at Silent House Productions (including fellow exec producer Linda Gierahn) first started talking to Burnett and her reps about the special around a year ago. “We approached them and said that this birthday would be a great reason to throw a big party and invite all of her friends and all of her admirers,” he tells Vulture. “And luckily they liked the idea, and NBC wanted to partner with us to do it.” While coordinating celebrity appearances and performances is never easy, “what’s been so great about working on this special is that everybody wants to say yes,” Bracco says. “Everybody wants to come out and celebrate Carol. We were laughing just the other day about how pretty much every single person coming is either an Oscar, Tony, Grammy, or Emmy winner.” Jen Neal, who heads up live events and specials for NBCUniversal TV and streaming, says the company is honored to host the event: “It’s hard to imagine anyone in television more beloved than Carol Burnett.”

Bracco, a veteran producer and former ABC unscripted executive whose credits include the American Music Awards and Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve, says his goal is to make the two-hour special feel like a “very casual,” old-school Hollywood soirée, with celebrities sitting at banquettes and tables as Burnett is feted onstage. Helping achieve that vibe: The special will tape at the Avalon Hollywood, which in the 1960s played host to The Hollywood Palace, a long-running ABC variety show known for its musical performances. “Music has been a huge part of Carol’s career for all of these decades, dating back to her debut on Broadway in Once Upon a Mattress, as well as the incredible specials she did with Julie Andrews, all of the incredible music on The Carol Burnett Show, and the film version of Annie,” Bracco says, noting that Andrews is scheduled to be in attendance. “So our plan is to take some of those iconic musical moments and pay tribute to them on our stage.” Among the classic Burnett musical numbers set to be honored: “Old Friends” (a tribute to her six-decade friendship with Andrews); “Only an Octave Apart” (from the 1976 special Sills and Burnett at the Met); and, of course, the theme to Burnett’s CBS iconic variety show, “I’m So Glad We Had This Time Together.”

As for the comedy part of Burnett’s career, Bracco says the special will mix a heavy dose of clips with in-person tributes and comedic segments from attendees. “I think everyone is going to want to have some fun with Carol,” he says. Burnett also recently sat down for an extended interview in which she looked back at the highlights of her career, and segments from that chat will be interspersed throughout the night. “We’re going to have really incredible packages in the show that will take us through Carol’s career, all the way back to ’50s and ’60s when she first started and her specials with Julie Andrews, through to The Carol Burnett Show and her movies, and then all of the great TV shows she’s appeared on, from Magnum, P.I., Law & Order: SVU, and Glee to Better Call Saul. It’s a wealth of material, and we’re going to have to figure out how to put it into just two hours,” Bracco says.

In addition to the musical and comedy performances, guests scheduled to appear on the special include designer Bob Mackie, Ellen DeGeneres, Laura Dern, Lily Tomlin, Marisa Tomei, Sofia Vergara, Susan Lucci, and Aileen Quinn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447May 1, 2023 7:00 AM

She should host SNL, like Betty White did.

by Anonymousreply 1January 26, 2023 8:56 PM

Well-deserved, of course, only you think it would’ve been on CBS, not NBC.

by Anonymousreply 2January 26, 2023 8:58 PM

I just saw her episode of Finding Your Roots last week, and it is really the first time I've noticed her slowing down and doing sort of "old lady" things - some arm twitching, some of that Pelosi licking-the-inside-of-her-mouth sort of thing.

Not saying any of that in a mean way, I mean...she's 90. Bless her for everything she's done. But time is catching up with her (and her plastic surgeon) a bit.

We've all heard her stories a hundred times but I for one will be watching.....happy to revisit them again, as I am happy to think about the Saturday nights with Mom in the gameroom, watching this show and laughing our asses off.

by Anonymousreply 3January 26, 2023 8:58 PM

She does deserve it…I still watch the old rerun and she is brilliant

by Anonymousreply 4January 26, 2023 9:02 PM

No one under 60 will watch it but at least they considered their demos.

by Anonymousreply 5January 26, 2023 9:07 PM

Aileen Quinn...woo-hoo.

by Anonymousreply 6January 26, 2023 9:08 PM

Sounds like a must miss.

by Anonymousreply 7January 26, 2023 9:10 PM

Crossing my fingers for a new Eunice and Mama sketch.

by Anonymousreply 8January 26, 2023 9:12 PM

Gee, do you think they'll show a clip of her coming down the staircase in that wacky green velvet curtain dress?

by Anonymousreply 9January 26, 2023 9:12 PM

Well then R5, those not watching will be missing out.

by Anonymousreply 10January 26, 2023 9:13 PM

Sounds like a must see for me. I need the best-of packaging as I'm too hyper to sit through all the shows. I'm really looking forward to this!

by Anonymousreply 11January 26, 2023 9:13 PM

All the invitees will pull down their curtains to make their gowns for this special event.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 26, 2023 9:19 PM

Willing to bet that age 90 Carol would really prefer to just sit it out at home.

by Anonymousreply 13January 26, 2023 9:24 PM

[quote]I just saw her episode of Finding Your Roots last week, and it is really the first time I've noticed her slowing down and doing sort of "old lady" things - some arm twitching, some of that Pelosi licking-the-inside-of-her-mout - h sort of thing.

I saw the same thing when I tuned into the show. It really hit me how old she is today. Just a few years ago (before the pandemic) my friends went to see her when she toured with her Q&A one woman show (she told stories and took questions from the audience). They said she was entertaining, and very lively for her age (mid 80s).

Anyhow, this looks interesting - so glad Cher will be on, as the two of them have been friends since the 60s (they met at a lunchoen Lucille Ball had for women in Hollywood at the time; Ball told both of them to make sure they knew how to run their own careers in case they divorced their husbands). One of the funniest memories of 70s television is when Carol guested on the 'Cher' show, and did an imitation of Cher. Even Cher couldn't stop laughing.

AS for the other guests (except Vicki Lawrence) - ehh. But I guess none of Burnett's peers from the 60s and 70s are all dead ?

by Anonymousreply 14January 26, 2023 9:24 PM

Anyone thinking of starting an online campaign to get Carol to host Saturday Night Live should give up now. When Lorne Michaels and the cast were doing press before the show premiered in 1975, while Carol's show was still airing, they talked about Carol like she was a washed-up hack. Their show would be nothing like Carol's corny routines, they said. They made a big point of saying they would do "sketches" where Carol did "skits." And they would never, ever, break character and giggle while performing, because it was horribly unprofessional.

Any time Carol is asked about hosting SNL, she's very gracious and glosses over the question. But I'm sure the truth is she wouldn't piss on any of them if they were on fire. Note that no one from the original SNL cast is included in this special, and as far as Google and I can remember have ever appeared with Carol.

by Anonymousreply 15January 26, 2023 9:26 PM

she was popular with youngins during shutdown

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 26, 2023 9:28 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 26, 2023 9:28 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 26, 2023 9:30 PM

Burnett's life has been rather sad the past 20 years.

First, her daughter Carrie Hamilton died from cancer in January, 2002 at the age of 38. Hamilton had a challenging life, being a drug addict during her teen years (Burnett said she put her in three rehabs during that time, and she was sober when she hit 17). Burnett recently said in an interview she still hasn't gotten over her daughter's death.

Then, just two years ago, she had petitioned for guardianship of her 14 year old grandson, as youngest daughter Erin had 'substance addiction' before he was born, and unable to care for him (according to the petition). She has been raising him ever since - not too easy in your late 80s.

by Anonymousreply 19January 26, 2023 9:31 PM

Bernadette Peters guest starred on her show several times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 26, 2023 9:32 PM

#carolburnett has 89..4 million views on TikTok so she is definitely known to young’uns 60 and under.

🙄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 26, 2023 9:33 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 26, 2023 9:35 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 26, 2023 9:37 PM

Interesting NBC and not CBS.

by Anonymousreply 24January 26, 2023 9:40 PM

With the Maude lookalike Terry McCann

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 26, 2023 9:49 PM

R19 I didn't know that part about Erin. Very sad.

Alcoholism and addiction is in Carol's family, so I think in the case of her daughters it can't just be said that "poor little rich kids" got spoiled and addicted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 26, 2023 9:53 PM

Carol was raised by her loving grandmother because her alcoholic mother was incapable, so it's fitting that grandma Carol would raise her grandchild.

by Anonymousreply 27January 26, 2023 9:58 PM

I guess she and Vicki have made up. I knew they weren't speaking for years over the syndicated Mama's Family but hadn't heard they repaired their relationship. Unless, Vicki is only agreeing to appear because it would have been awkward for her not to.

by Anonymousreply 28January 26, 2023 10:06 PM

[quote]The special, to be taped in March in front of a star-packed audience, will air on Burnett’s actual birthday, April 26,

Uh oh!!

Don’t do it, Carol. You know what happened.

by Anonymousreply 29January 26, 2023 10:06 PM

R28 I think they made up to some degree - they were friendly again back when Carol and Vicki did a few specials for CBS in the late 90s or early 2000s but I think they fell out again at some point, because when Vicki appeared on the 50th anniversary special in 2017, their banter on stage was FROSTY at best.

by Anonymousreply 30January 26, 2023 10:11 PM

That water is far under the bridge, r28.

by Anonymousreply 31January 26, 2023 10:12 PM

Carol has outlived almost everyone who guested on her show, except for Bernadette Peters, Alan Alda, Cher, Petula Clark, Steve Lawrence, Steve Martin, Joanne Woodward, and a few others

by Anonymousreply 32January 26, 2023 10:15 PM

I’m still alive. I’m probably persona non grata to Carol now though.

by Anonymousreply 33January 26, 2023 10:22 PM

No Billy porter please!

by Anonymousreply 34January 26, 2023 10:22 PM

I’m alive too,,,ditzy and hot as ever.

by Anonymousreply 35January 26, 2023 10:23 PM

Does she still have custody of her grandchildren who the courts took away from her druggie daughter?

by Anonymousreply 36January 26, 2023 10:24 PM

Is her longtime LESBIAN companion Julie Andrews invited too?

by Anonymousreply 37January 26, 2023 10:25 PM

No Bob Mackie?

by Anonymousreply 38January 26, 2023 10:26 PM

The OP says Bob Mackie will be there. He just won't be singing with the likes of Amy Poehler.

by Anonymousreply 39January 26, 2023 10:35 PM

What did Dick do to Carol, r33.

What Chita and Rita? Will either be there?

by Anonymousreply 40January 26, 2023 10:36 PM

From what I’ve read, he was a raging alcoholic the season he was a co-star and was difficult to work with.

by Anonymousreply 41January 26, 2023 10:39 PM

BILLY PORTER? No thank you. Sorry Carol. I pass.

by Anonymousreply 42January 26, 2023 10:41 PM

Billy Porter is only on the show to promote Billy Porter. He has no connection to Carol at all. Do better NBC.

by Anonymousreply 43January 26, 2023 10:43 PM

I adore Carol, OP. Well deserved.

Really, I admire her whole generation—the Silent Generation—which included my beloved parents.

by Anonymousreply 44January 26, 2023 10:43 PM

I loved seeing the Terry McCann clip again, R25. Thank you!

The website linked has a 2nd video with Carol and Terry in the 1990s as well as an update about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 26, 2023 10:47 PM

DVD? He's too old!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 26, 2023 10:54 PM

Billy Porter???? 🙄

What the hell does he have to do with Carol Burnett?

by Anonymousreply 47January 26, 2023 11:21 PM

Will Mrs. O’Wiggins make an appearance?

by Anonymousreply 48January 26, 2023 11:32 PM

You'd really have to be "of a certain age" to know who Carol Burnett is.

by Anonymousreply 49January 26, 2023 11:36 PM

[quote]Anyone thinking of starting an online campaign to get Carol to host Saturday Night Live should give up now.

Nobody in the SNL demographic has any idea who the fuck Carol Burnett is.

by Anonymousreply 50January 26, 2023 11:38 PM

Hope she’ll still be alive on April 26.

by Anonymousreply 51January 26, 2023 11:38 PM

You really have this ageist thing, don't you, r49?

by Anonymousreply 52January 26, 2023 11:39 PM

I will watch this. Probably cry some as I do.

I know….

by Anonymousreply 53January 26, 2023 11:46 PM

Most vain gays are terrified and obsessed with age

by Anonymousreply 54January 26, 2023 11:52 PM

r54 it's just funny that DL is so out of touch they'd think Carol Burnett is known to anyone in the SNL demographic. Hell, I'm well into my forties and her fame was even before my time. The Carol Burnett Show is 50 years old and nobody of later generations really watched it.

by Anonymousreply 55January 27, 2023 12:05 AM

Are you a twelve-year-old R37?

by Anonymousreply 56January 27, 2023 12:10 AM

r55 in the *Colleen Dewhurst* thread:

[quote]Wow, some of you are really fucking old to have seen her on stage.

by Anonymousreply 57January 27, 2023 12:15 AM

Wow great detective work r57!

by Anonymousreply 58January 27, 2023 12:18 AM

Sow what is it about you and age, r58? You seem to have an issue with it.

by Anonymousreply 59January 27, 2023 12:20 AM

It's just amusing that's all r59. Our stuck in the past eldergays thinking things from decades ago are still current and everybody knows them. That an SNL demographic would have any idea who she it. Also, thinking Italians aren't white etc.

It does make sense that NBC is doing a Carol Burnett tribute since only olds watch network tv anymore.

by Anonymousreply 60January 27, 2023 12:23 AM

DL really is a strange time warp sometimes. I guess that's part of the charm.

by Anonymousreply 61January 27, 2023 12:23 AM

Fuck off out of the thread if it is so dated, you patronizing juvenile delinquents.

by Anonymousreply 62January 27, 2023 12:30 AM

Lord, the bitch is turning 90. Of course her audience is older. R55 et al is just trolling. Fuck her and FF that cunt.

by Anonymousreply 63January 27, 2023 12:31 AM

Why are you posting on a thread with “stuck in the past eldergays” R60? Don’t you have anything else going on in your hip, in-the-know life?

by Anonymousreply 64January 27, 2023 12:32 AM

Only on DL can a fortysomething be a "juvenile delinquent!"

r62 is Timothee white?

by Anonymousreply 65January 27, 2023 12:32 AM

Vicki told the story about her and carol being estranged. Joe and Carols marriage was falling apart during the first season of mamas family and the tension was spilling out onto the set. Carol only appeared in one episode of season 2 of the original network show (she also did a phone call during season 2 but wasn’t seen).

Carol called up Vicki to see if she wanted to do a series that focused on Eunice and mama, a light sketch comedy show. Vicki told Carol she had already signed with joe Hamilton to do the syndicated version of mamas family. Carol was furious and didn’t speak to her for several years.

by Anonymousreply 66January 27, 2023 12:35 AM

R55, Carol Burnett is one of the great comedians in American entertainment. Period. That she is alive at 90 creates a great opportunity for the show, for her and for a motherlode of publicity. It's a shame your imagination is so limited, only because of course we have to endure it here.

by Anonymousreply 67January 27, 2023 12:39 AM

[quote] When Lorne Michaels and the cast were doing press before the show premiered in 1975, while Carol's show was still airing, they talked about Carol like she was a washed-up hack. Their show would be nothing like Carol's corny routines, they said. They made a big point of saying they would do "sketches" where Carol did "skits."

Lorne Michaels was right. Both Carol Burnett and the original SNL were before my time, but from the clips I've seen of Carol Burnett's show, the humor is very dated and that Mama's Family shit was awful. I guess you had to be Southern white trash to find it funny. Burnett's show was very of its time, which is why it didn't have much of a life after the 70s and later generations are totally unfamiliar with it.

The original SNL holds up well, much of it is still hilarious, esp. Gilda Radner's stuff.

by Anonymousreply 68January 27, 2023 12:48 AM

[quote] creates a great opportunity for the show,

The show is far too dated and cornball for a modern audience to rediscover it.

by Anonymousreply 69January 27, 2023 12:49 AM

Though she's not been announced as being part of the show, it would be absolutely amazing if they could convince Julie Andrews to appear. And even more amazing if they could coax Julie and Carol to reprise their original duet "You're So London" that they performed in their 1960 TV special Julie and Carol at Carnegie Hall.

Sad to think but Julie is really the only still-living performer of Carol's magnitude who she actually appeared with in the past. Bernadette is close, but no cigar.

by Anonymousreply 70January 27, 2023 12:57 AM

One word, r55/ r68/ r69...karma.

by Anonymousreply 71January 27, 2023 1:02 AM

r71 entertainment is ephemeral, I accept that. I wouldn't expect Gen Z to know about certain things from the 90s. But for some reason the eldergays go batshit when people say some of their beloved icons from their 70s youth are not really known anymore.

by Anonymousreply 72January 27, 2023 1:06 AM

So much for thanks from her original variety show’s network CBS. :(

by Anonymousreply 73January 27, 2023 1:12 AM

It’s obvious that the only reason Billy Porter was booked is to wear the green Scarlett dress out, get a big laugh, do an unfunny couple of jokes and introduce a video package.

by Anonymousreply 74January 27, 2023 1:21 AM

The half-hour repackaged Carol shows actually went into syndication the fall right after her variety show originally went off the air in the spring of 1978, and have not stopped being shown on TV on one station or another ever since.

by Anonymousreply 75January 27, 2023 1:22 AM

That can't be true, r75, because according to r68...

[quote]Burnett's show was very of its time, which is why it didn't have much of a life after the 70s and later generations are totally unfamiliar with it.

by Anonymousreply 76January 27, 2023 1:25 AM

The show doesn't have any new fans, it's the olds who watch the reruns. I know you elders have no contact with the modern world, but nobody under 40 really has any idea who she is.

I'm of the 90s generation (younger Gen X). Recently I mentioned Eddie Vedder to a Gen Z co-worker and she had no idea who he was. I laughed it off and though "time moves on." A friend of mine is a college professor and described a character in a novel as being "an Archie Bunker type." Blank stares from the entire lecture hall. None of his students had any idea what he was talking about. He also laughed it off.

There's a peculiar thing with eldergays, and many Boomers/older Xers that they get all snippy and pissy when younger people are unfamiliar with the stars of their 60s/70s youth. It really is a generational thing.

by Anonymousreply 77January 27, 2023 1:30 AM

Will it be like a Dean Martin Roast with shots of the stars fake laughing?

by Anonymousreply 78January 27, 2023 1:31 AM

Why does that minstrel show Billy Porter have to show up for every goddamn fucking thing now? I don't know a single gay man who can stand him.

by Anonymousreply 79January 27, 2023 1:45 AM

We get it, r77, it shouldn't be aired because only old people will watch it. We're aware most young people won't watch it, cunt. Why does that bother you so much?

by Anonymousreply 80January 27, 2023 1:46 AM

Maybe she requested him, r79.

by Anonymousreply 81January 27, 2023 1:47 AM

r77 don't bring your generation into it.. it's you and the ignorance you surround yourself with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 27, 2023 1:51 AM

Again, r82 is one of those who gets all pissy over the forgotten icons of his youth. I really can't be fucked that people don't really know Eddie Vedder or Courtney Love anymore. Time marches on......

by Anonymousreply 83January 27, 2023 1:56 AM

The grunt at 28 seconds in is gold!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 27, 2023 1:57 AM

[quote]it's you and the ignorance you surround yourself with.'

OMG touchy much? Stating facts gets you all riled up that it's not 1981 anymore. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 85January 27, 2023 1:58 AM

r83 You're part of the problem then... of why so many of these foolios get caught out on the street, asked basic questions and make the entire nation look stupid.

Educate them and yourself.

You millennials you were screaming last year that your losing bob saget was like or even worse than losing your father can fake that bs for the public sphere but can't find out who these people are? Get over yourself. There are plenty that do. Start hanging with people your own age, most of them have awareness... leave the children alone.

by Anonymousreply 86January 27, 2023 2:02 AM

r85 you're in your 40s and you're hanging out with twelve year olds, what's up with that?

by Anonymousreply 87January 27, 2023 2:04 AM

[quote] What the hell does he have to do with Carol Burnett?

Fabulous sequined gowns.

by Anonymousreply 88January 27, 2023 2:07 AM

[quote]entertainment is ephemeral, I accept that

Live theater is ephemeral, film and video aren't.

by Anonymousreply 89January 27, 2023 2:10 AM

[quote]You're part of the problem then... of why so many of these foolios get caught out on the street, asked basic questions and make the entire nation look stupid.

JFC not knowing or being interested in a kitsch piece of pop culture from four generations ago that has never really translated past its era isn't like being unfamiliar with Shakespeare. Unclench, put on one of Mother's old caftans, pour yourself another gin and tonic and STFU.

by Anonymousreply 90January 27, 2023 2:10 AM

[quote]You millennials you were screaming last year that your losing bob saget was like or even worse than losing your father

I'm actually later Gen X, not that you would know the difference. I'm exactly the same age as that blonde Christian cunt from Full House and even back then I never watched the show because it was a piece of shit. The only kids in my middle school who watched Full House were the dorky girls who are now fraus. Believe me, that show was not a touchstone for my generation. It's was the proto Karens who were the only ones who watched that shit.

by Anonymousreply 91January 27, 2023 2:13 AM

Next thing we know the eldergays will be screaming that we're all cultural illiterates because we don't know the Captain and Tennille.

by Anonymousreply 92January 27, 2023 2:16 AM

Again, r90, we know the young aren't the target for this show. We *don't* expect it to be. Your sneering at how old we must be if we've seen Colleen Dewhurst on stage. It's obnoxious. Again...karma.

by Anonymousreply 93January 27, 2023 2:17 AM

r93 my generation is already experiencing karma the younger generation - and by that I mean people who are in their early 30s - don't know Eddie Vedder or Courtney Love and unlike your hysterical generation, we find it amusing and laugh at the passage of time.

by Anonymousreply 94January 27, 2023 2:20 AM

r90 You're in this thread, so you've proven your curiosity. You probably even like it but you're afraid it will make you old. You're old. You can review the stats through the social media and video sites. A significant amount of younger generations are aware of it and have fond memories of it., They attach it to their older relatives. A few learn about it from older celebs.

r92 You are. It's been referenced in adult animation such as family guy, major dad, south park, simpsons, rick and morty. etc. There are countless memes, clips, etc.

You're spreading a falsehood.

It is a part of the cultural zeitgeist. . . and I wouldn't even isolated it to American. the current high shares are among south korea and vietnam. Also, a disturbing amount of people into Anne Murray but I suspect because one of the reality shows used her songs is the reason why.

by Anonymousreply 95January 27, 2023 2:21 AM

r94 You don't even know what your generation is. If you did. then you would have memories of it. You don't. So you're not. aka never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get. And if you can't catch that reference you're Jeopardy game is going to be weak,boy.

by Anonymousreply 96January 27, 2023 2:23 AM

[quote] You probably even like it but you're afraid it will make you old. You're old.

I'm middle aged, in my forties. Even people my age are rather ancient to Gen Z. My generation just laughs it off, we're aware of it. I've provided examples in this thread. You seem to have a giant chip on your shoulder.

[quote]ou are. It's been referenced in adult animation such as family guy, major dad, south park, simpsons, rick and morty. etc. There are countless memes, clips, etc.

These are people who work in the entertainment field. Of course they're familiar with it. A character on American Dad is based on Paul Lynde. Do you think most of the audience of that show has any idea who Lynde was?

[quote]A significant amount of younger generations are aware of it and have fond memories of it.,

You clearly know nobody from "the younger generation." They barely even know who Madonna is.

Madonna, THE gay icon of my generation. Gay guys my age just laugh at the twentysomethings who don't really know her. We're not accosting them for being stupid and making the entire nation look stupid, as you seem to do with people who aren't familiar with a kitsch sketch show from half a century ago.

Goodnight. Pour yourself another gin and tonic and yell at Mother's portrait about time slipping by and your lost youth.

by Anonymousreply 97January 27, 2023 2:29 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98January 27, 2023 2:30 AM

r97 They're capable of learning. And a portion of them have. Others could follow or perhaps just huff gasoline.

You're loading the questions. I assume your crowd is parting like it's 1983 and hoping the second nose job doesn't blow out before their fifth rehab visit. As to the greater public.. the greater public is huge, so outliers increase vs your specific ill-defined social circle.

gin and tonic are so 90s and bands.

Still trying to justify your arrested development?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99January 27, 2023 2:35 AM

My great great great great grandmother went to high school with her.

by Anonymousreply 100January 27, 2023 2:37 AM

r100 Carol and Vicki used to sing cum all ye faithful outside of the playboy mansion at christmas, I suppose they now do it outside of catherine zeta-jones and michael douglas' bedroom...

by Anonymousreply 101January 27, 2023 2:39 AM

I turned 8 in 1978, and watched the syndicated Carol Burnett & Friends every night of my life for 6 years at least. I never saw it in primetime. But Eunice, Mama, Nora Desmond, Mrs. Wiggins, and all the rest were a huge part of my childhood.

I know Lorne Michaels denigrated The Carol Burnett Show in the '70s when he was in his 20s. One hopes that now that he's been around forever, and suffered the slings and arrows of show biz, he regrets how casually cruel he was in those days when he spoke of her show. Many of the sketches from the 70s incarnation of SNL actually feel more dated than some of the more timeless Carol Burnett sketches

Carol is one of the few television giants left. Norman Lear also comes to mind. He show regularly attracted 20 million plus viewers. NO ONE can say that now, and likley never will again.

by Anonymousreply 102January 27, 2023 2:43 AM

r97 your response time is like really slow. Fat fingers or just self id as? do you wrap cushions around your fingers to simulate thick sausages.. is that why it takes so long for you to respond? So old. New York State of Mind? Come on. Wake up in New York? Fairytale of New York? Associated protests? Yesterday's protest song and it's connection to zootsuit riots?

by Anonymousreply 103January 27, 2023 2:44 AM

*HER show

by Anonymousreply 104January 27, 2023 2:45 AM

r97 Al time is connected. Well, depending on the philosophy. Dreamtime should really be appropriated more. Digital space. Hilbert space. Or just inane references through the ages. Parodies and the emperor's new clothes. Are you saying that's why young people today lack critical thinking skills? That would be an interesting theory, they do seem socialized to be autistic. . . There's only short amount of degrees of separation from modern pop culture to the various specials and series of Carol Burnette. How many songs on the top 40 are sampled from older songs in this age of excessive autotune? Likewise, how many are just straight up covers? We could even break down to just the top twenty this week, if you'd like. I doubt you would. This has less degrees than Kevin Bacon. Which incidetnally that game along with the bechdel test bagan in newsgroups prior to the explosion of the internet. But the archives simply don't go far back enough. I should post one of the purity tests here just for kicks, though, What do you think? Do you think? do sleep? do you dream? of electric sheep? that movie really ruined all relevance of 42. Think the younger generations have no idea about anything older? For the love of maud, don't show them the life of brian or krush groove, Ir better yet don't do a triple feature of bulworth, crazy people and putney swope.

by Anonymousreply 105January 27, 2023 2:54 AM

Carol is the last of her kind.

Carol and Mary Tyler Moore were the queens of CBS back in the day. Offscreen, the two were a lot alike…very tragic lives. Carol put out a sweet statement when Mary died but they were never close. Mary was a hard nut to crack.

I think Vicki finally came to the realization Carol won’t be around forever and they are friendly again. Vicki is so excited when they go out for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 106January 27, 2023 3:10 AM

There were Lucy and Carol and Mary.

by Anonymousreply 107January 27, 2023 3:13 AM

R107, I thought of Lucy too, but by the 70s, she was a relic.

by Anonymousreply 108January 27, 2023 3:16 AM

I think Carol had a love/hate relationship with Carrie. She was a problem child (though the most like Carol). I also think the stress of her addiction busted-up Carol's marriage.

by Anonymousreply 109January 27, 2023 3:21 AM

Here's Lucy ended in '74, r108. Carol's show started in 1967. Mary shot to Emmy-winning fame in the early '60s. For a period of time they were TV contemporaries and all three had legendary careers. I'd say they were the top three.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110January 27, 2023 3:26 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111January 27, 2023 3:27 AM

It is so embarrassing when FOX News sends a bobblehead 'out on the street' to interview a Millennial or Zoomer and asks a simple question like, 'What's America's capital city?' and they answer 'Miami ?' Yep, the smartest generations.

by Anonymousreply 112January 27, 2023 3:28 AM

R111 what a great pic.

Carol and Mary could have been half sisters in the later years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113January 27, 2023 3:32 AM

70s-era Saturday Night Live and the 70s-era Carol Burnett show were both massively better than anything similar on television today (both better written and better performed), so I don't know why the millennial/GenZ crowd would be making snide comments about the "olds."

You'd have to be going on about Imogene Coca to really qualify as old.

by Anonymousreply 114January 27, 2023 3:34 AM

For those of you who don't watch BETTER CALL SAUL, Carol has a several episode arc in the closing episodes. The entire series basically leads up to Saul's decision to murder her in return for his freedom. It tests the limits of the character because he's been around many murders and the cartel but how ruthless was he willing to be when it came down to his own situation?

by Anonymousreply 115January 27, 2023 3:41 AM

[quote]70s-era Saturday Night Live and the 70s-era Carol Burnett show were both massively better than anything similar on television today (both better written and better performed)

That's not true, or rather that's subjective. We don't have variety or sketch comedy shows anymore. Saturday Night Live has always had its highs and lows. I'm sure 40 years from now people will look back and have fond memories of some of what's on now.

by Anonymousreply 116January 27, 2023 3:42 AM

Carol's show was very, very good, but it was not perfect and like any variety show had its filler moments.

And some sketches have REALLY not aged well.

Still, I have fond memories of watching.

by Anonymousreply 117January 27, 2023 3:43 AM

Is it a musical, r115?

by Anonymousreply 118January 27, 2023 3:43 AM

[quote]And some sketches have REALLY not aged well.

Carol herself acknowledges that, r117, but that show was an enormous accomplishment for Carol. Then add she was a Broadway star and also has a respectable filmography on top of it.

by Anonymousreply 119January 27, 2023 3:49 AM

The show worked because of the brilliance of Harvey Korman who I always found far funnier than Carol. I can't believe she wanted to fire him at one point. That would have ended the show.

by Anonymousreply 120January 27, 2023 3:51 AM

[quote]That would have ended the show.

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 121January 27, 2023 3:53 AM

[quote]You'd have to be going on about Imogene Coca to really qualify as old.

The 70s were half a century ago. Only on DL are they "recent."

by Anonymousreply 122January 27, 2023 4:01 AM

We are now as far away in time from the 1970s as the 1970s were from the 1920s. What a mind fuck!

by Anonymousreply 123January 27, 2023 4:05 AM

[quote]. As to the greater public.. the greater public is huge, so outliers increase vs your specific ill-defined social circle.

Jesus, give it a rest. The Carol Burnett show is a relic. It has not translated to people who were not around during its' original run. Sometimes the things from our youth are not of interest to the generations after us. Your insistence that this show is still relevant or even known to a huge swath of the American public in the year 2023 just shows how out of touch you are. Time moves on, it happens. There's stuff from my Gen X generation that younger people don't know or care about and we're fine with it.

by Anonymousreply 124January 27, 2023 4:06 AM

Yes, R117. I'm a massive fan of The Carol Burnett Show, but there's no question that some aspects of it and sketches have aged better than others. That said, it was much better than middling fare like Sonny & Cher and Donny & Marie, and head and shoulders above dreck like Tony Orlando and Dawn, or The Brady Bunch Variety Hour.

by Anonymousreply 125January 27, 2023 4:10 AM

R124 So. Fucking. What. Obviously she is still known and popular or they would not be doing this special. You seem like an asshole, who is also stupid.

by Anonymousreply 126January 27, 2023 6:30 AM

Carol was always my favorite, more than Betty White or MTM or Lucy. I don’t care if she is known by Millennials or Gen Z. She’s from a different time. She brings back good memories. In 20 years she’ll be dead, most of us here will be dead, it doesn’t matter if some middle school kid watching TikTok tonight cares about her. My grandparents didn’t take offense that I wasn’t interested in their icons. Boomers need to accept that we, and our icons, don’t matter to the younger folks.

by Anonymousreply 127January 27, 2023 8:24 AM

For Vicki Lawrence’s birthday, I’m going to take a giant shit.

by Anonymousreply 128January 27, 2023 8:28 AM

Nothing from the age of mass media (basically the 1930s to the present) is ever totally forgotten. There are always a few people of younger generations who seek out and enjoy the pop culture of the past. That was true in my generation and it's still true today because it's human nature. Not everyone only pays attention to current pop culture and is completely ignorant of the past.

by Anonymousreply 129January 27, 2023 9:20 AM

R8 Mama would be like 130 years old.

by Anonymousreply 130January 27, 2023 9:26 AM

[quote]Our stuck in the past eldergays thinking things from decades ago are still current and everybody knows them. That an SNL demographic would have any idea who she it.

If no one knew who Carol Burnett was, there would be no special for her 90th birthday. Yes, I'm certain the demographic for the special is going to be older people, but with her recent turn on "Better Call Saul" there are a lot of people who know her today who wouldn't have otherwise.

I don't get all your comments about "the SNL demographic," because you make it sound like kids watch SNL and wouldn't know who she is. First of all, SNL was only brought up because they slammed Carol Burnett FIFTY YEARS AGO. Further, the demographic that watches SNL these days are 30-44 year olds, not kids, and some of those SNL viewers are very much going to know who Carol Burnett is.

by Anonymousreply 131January 27, 2023 11:22 AM

Remember Vicki’s talk show? Gag. She’d bring out her son and the audience would squeal. Now he looks like a long distance trucker.

by Anonymousreply 132January 27, 2023 11:23 AM

Isn't this what they used to call a memorial tribute?

by Anonymousreply 133January 27, 2023 11:40 AM

I’m 66 and Burnett is 90 so she was only 24 when I was born. I feel fucking old now!

by Anonymousreply 134January 27, 2023 12:11 PM

If it goes down like Betty, she’s gonna die two weeks early. It’s a trap!

by Anonymousreply 135January 27, 2023 12:22 PM

As a baby boomer teenaged gayling in the 1960s I was very aware of stars from earlier generations. I knew all about Norma Shearer, Ann Harding and Ruth Chatterton, even though all 3 were long gone from the scene.

by Anonymousreply 136January 27, 2023 1:18 PM

Carol's Kennedy Center tribute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137January 27, 2023 2:11 PM

As a gayling, I watched her show just to see Lyle Waggoner with his shirt off, which was often.

by Anonymousreply 138January 27, 2023 2:11 PM

[quote]As a baby boomer teenaged gayling in the 1960s I was very aware of stars from earlier generations. I knew all about Norma Shearer, Ann Harding and Ruth Chatterton, even though all 3 were long gone from the scene.

Because there were only 3 tv channels, no internet and no video games. Entertainment options back then were much more limited than now.

by Anonymousreply 139January 27, 2023 3:14 PM

[quote]these days are 30-44 year olds, not kids, and some of those SNL viewers are very much going to know who Carol Burnett is.

You mustn't know any 30-44 year olds. They don't know her, she was before their time.

by Anonymousreply 140January 27, 2023 3:16 PM

They would know her because of Better Call Saul, and the older ones from Carol Burnett Show reruns on local channels, r140. Just go to fucking Twitter and read the tweets about her on BCS, for crying out loud.

by Anonymousreply 141January 27, 2023 3:19 PM

She's the new Betty White/Dolly Parton. The media will continue to foist her upon everyone and force the social media love and mostly baseless adoration from millions of brainless simps until she is dead.

by Anonymousreply 142January 27, 2023 3:27 PM

Strange that it's NBC and not her longtime network CBS.

by Anonymousreply 143January 27, 2023 3:28 PM

Younger people get very threatened when older people reminisce about pop culture they were not a part of. I was like that when i was younger.

by Anonymousreply 144January 27, 2023 3:31 PM

Feel better now, r142? Like...more superior?

by Anonymousreply 145January 27, 2023 3:45 PM

Gee, r143, that’s a helluva point.

And nobody has brought it up yet. Nope. Not in at least 5 posts. Strange.

by Anonymousreply 146January 27, 2023 3:48 PM

[quote]Younger people get very threatened when older people reminisce about pop culture they were not a part of.

Boomers go batshit when the icons of their youth aren't all that important to later generations. Such is life and time moving on.

by Anonymousreply 147January 27, 2023 4:00 PM

Yet you’re quite invested in this thread.

Funny that.

by Anonymousreply 148January 27, 2023 4:03 PM

It's amazing isn't it r148?

by Anonymousreply 149January 27, 2023 4:04 PM

r148 are you on DL 24 hours a day? JFC.

by Anonymousreply 150January 27, 2023 4:05 PM

[quote]Boomers go batshit when the icons of their youth aren't all that important to later generations. Such is life and time moving on.

No, we don't. We don't care. We understand it's the circle of life. We don't expect this show's audience to skew young. This thread went offtrack when the ageist troll misread the Carol hosting SNL post and decided to deride it. Again, we know who the audience is for this show is.

by Anonymousreply 151January 27, 2023 4:14 PM

Are you, r150?

by Anonymousreply 152January 27, 2023 4:15 PM

Where is it that Carol is recently showing signs of her aging ? I’d like to watch that…

by Anonymousreply 153January 27, 2023 4:38 PM

R153 It was her appearance on this show. PBS has it for free on their website but I think only for a few days after it plays, and this was almost 2 weeks ago. You may be able to catch it again somewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154January 27, 2023 4:41 PM

It was one of the better epsiodes of the season, with Burnett and Nash.

by Anonymousreply 155January 27, 2023 4:44 PM

Thx!

by Anonymousreply 156January 27, 2023 4:47 PM

[quote]will also stream on Peacock

So those seven people will see it.

by Anonymousreply 157January 27, 2023 4:48 PM

Didn't they already do a salute to Carol - with her best bud Julie Andrews on the dais next to her? About six months ago?

by Anonymousreply 158January 27, 2023 5:28 PM

Oh sorry. I just remembered it was a salute to Julie Andrews. With Carol at her side.

by Anonymousreply 159January 27, 2023 5:29 PM

It will be interesting to hear other comedians talk about how they were influenced by Carol Burnett. Yes, they'd have to be a certain age.

Tim Conway: I never thought he was funny and I couldn't understand why Carol would break character to laugh at his comedic genius.

R120, I agree that Harvey Korman was hilarious. Phil Hartman was similar, I guess. Caddish, insensitive, selfish.

by Anonymousreply 160January 27, 2023 6:19 PM

I am so glad Billy Porter will be there, as Carol Burnett was so influential to him, by having black drag queens on her show every week. She made him the drag queen he is today. I just wish they can coax RuPaul into participating, too. And maybe Laverne Cox ?

by Anonymousreply 161January 27, 2023 6:24 PM

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but why is it that some celebrities, like Carol and Julie Andrews and Jane Fonda, get excellent plastic surgery, when so many others look ghastly afterward? That is to say, if you're a star whose age is starting to show, would you make an appointment with the guy who did Carol's face or the guy who did Meg Ryan? Is it a matter of access, or economics, or just bad judgement? For something that has such a major impact on one's life and career, you'd think a person would make sure they got the very best instead of just going with whomever they can get.

by Anonymousreply 162January 27, 2023 6:29 PM

I would think it has to do with who does the work and what your original bone structure is.

by Anonymousreply 163January 27, 2023 6:36 PM

R162, I'm guessing that celebrities have different goals for plastic surgery.

Carol, Julie, and Jane have short hair (IMO, indicates acceptance of advancing age). They're not trying to look 20s or 30s. Their procedures are more conservative.

OTOH, Madonna IS trying to look like she's still in her 20s. Procedures are *not* conservative. I'm guessing she's been told "no" by an ethical plastic surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 164January 27, 2023 7:02 PM

It won't be the same without Durward Kirby.

by Anonymousreply 165January 27, 2023 8:30 PM

Nothing is, r165...

by Anonymousreply 166January 27, 2023 8:34 PM

No one gives a flying fuck if Gen-Zers know who Carol Burnett is or if they will watch the show. The NBC show is not for them, so they really don't matter, just as Boomers wouldn't matter should NBC broadcast a salute to Doja Cat for Gen-Zers and millennials.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167January 27, 2023 8:36 PM

Whose cat?

by Anonymousreply 168January 27, 2023 9:17 PM

Exactly. R167.

I would never watch a show where anyone is singing/rapping WAP but someone will.

by Anonymousreply 169January 27, 2023 9:17 PM

R168 Doja Cat, she is cool and very pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170January 27, 2023 9:20 PM

[quote]I couldn't understand why Carol would break character to laugh at his comedic genius.

For the ratings, genius.

by Anonymousreply 171January 27, 2023 9:23 PM

Actually, I really hope they do include some clips of Carol with Durward Kirby, Marion Lorne and Garry Moore on the TV variety hour The Garry Moore Show that made Carol a star. I grew up on that show, fell in love with Carol there, and was introduced to so much Broadway talent (as the show was shot in NY) that appeared weekly as guest stars.

by Anonymousreply 172January 27, 2023 9:29 PM

Many years ago, I spent a month in jail for a crime I never committed, and our "Pod" (block) would watch The Carol Burnett Show on the VCR almost every night. It helped make the whole experience livable, and I will always be grateful for her companionship (and the laughs) during that time.

by Anonymousreply 173January 27, 2023 9:37 PM

R173, were you the designated cell block bottom?

by Anonymousreply 174January 27, 2023 9:39 PM

R174, No, that wasn't me. I'm not a bottom, and I already had a BF.

by Anonymousreply 175January 27, 2023 9:43 PM

"It has not translated to people who were not around..."

So... just destroy the films of Chaplin, W.C. Fields, Mae West, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 176January 27, 2023 9:52 PM

[quote]"It has not translated to people who were not around..."

Blanket statement from an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 177January 27, 2023 9:58 PM

r173 = Anthony Bouvier, discussing his unfortunate incarceration

by Anonymousreply 178January 27, 2023 10:02 PM

[quote]No, that wasn't me. I'm not a bottom, and I already had a BF.

Like that matters in jail, you cheeky thing!

by Anonymousreply 179January 27, 2023 10:05 PM

Expanding on what r164 said the goal of plastic surgery was to make an apple a shinier apple, not turn an apple into an orange. The idea was to look great for your age, not being 50 and wanting to look 25.

by Anonymousreply 180January 27, 2023 10:07 PM

R180 yes. There's a difference between subtle fine tuning and turning into a person with a new host body.

by Anonymousreply 181January 27, 2023 10:08 PM

I think there are also some women's faces that simply don't take well to plastic surgery because their faces aren't fleshy enough. Two examples would be Hedy Lamarr and Meg Ryan, both total disasters.

by Anonymousreply 182January 27, 2023 10:36 PM

^^Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 183January 27, 2023 10:56 PM

I wouldn't describe the plastic surgery of Carol or Jane Fonda as excellent.

by Anonymousreply 184January 27, 2023 11:11 PM

For their ages and amount of work done, r184, Carol still looks like Carol and Jane looks like Jane.

by Anonymousreply 185January 28, 2023 12:01 AM

I’d say Jane had excellent work up to around the pandemic - so a very long run. Carol was obviously never beautiful, but I’ve always felt her face looked “off” since her jaw advancement. But I watched her show growing up and was used to her goofy but endearing face - she hated her “Andy Gump” chin, as she called it, and was so happy with the result she talked about it on numerous talk shows at the time.

by Anonymousreply 186January 28, 2023 12:06 AM

Jane did one too many tweaks.

by Anonymousreply 187January 28, 2023 12:43 AM

At her age, r187, who cares?

by Anonymousreply 188January 28, 2023 12:51 AM

R172 must be ancient.

by Anonymousreply 189January 28, 2023 1:42 AM

And, r189?

by Anonymousreply 190January 28, 2023 2:02 AM

And R190 types cunty.

by Anonymousreply 191January 28, 2023 2:04 AM

You forgot ancient, r191. Cunty *and* ancient.

by Anonymousreply 192January 28, 2023 2:07 AM

Jane definitely looks different in the trailer for 80 for Brady

by Anonymousreply 193January 28, 2023 2:31 AM

I am ancient, I'm a very healthy and sharp 73, and proud of it, r189! And if you check my other posts on this thread you'll see that they're some of the brightest and most W/Wed.

by Anonymousreply 194January 28, 2023 2:41 AM

No one who's had the amount of plastic surgery Jane and even Carol have had is going to look exactly "normal" as they approach 90. Just compare to women of their age who have had no surgeries (if you can find any these days).

by Anonymousreply 195January 28, 2023 2:44 AM

I noticed when I first moved to California that there are no grandmotherly looking women there. Except maybe abuelitas.

by Anonymousreply 196January 28, 2023 3:05 AM

r194...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197January 28, 2023 3:13 AM

R194, Well, bless your decrepit soul.

by Anonymousreply 198January 28, 2023 3:13 AM

Eunice Higgins is iconic.

The movie spoofs are hilarious.

Her openings where she did a QA with the audience are endearing.

The commercial and TV show spoofs are funny.

She does a great Queen Elizabeth.

America's sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 199January 28, 2023 3:23 AM

One of the substations (Decades?) has been showing full-length episodes, including musical numbers, and a lot of it holds up pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 200January 28, 2023 3:27 AM

[quote]She does a great Queen Elizabeth.

Well, r199, she played the Queen in that sketch with Maggie Smith and Maggie didn't.

by Anonymousreply 201January 28, 2023 3:30 AM

Thank you, Carol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202January 28, 2023 3:31 AM

How many more times is she gonna tell that " I tug on my ear on TeeVee every night for my Granny" story before she keels over?

Did her and Lyle W. Have a falling out?

by Anonymousreply 203January 28, 2023 3:38 AM

She hit Lyle over the head with a fondue pot, r203.

by Anonymousreply 204January 28, 2023 3:48 AM

Yes R203. Lyle stole Carol’s idea for Star Waggons.

🤨

by Anonymousreply 205January 28, 2023 4:21 AM

Lyle was a low hangin' man.

by Anonymousreply 206January 28, 2023 4:24 AM

[quote]One of the substations (Decades?) has been showing full-length episodes, including musical numbers, and a lot of it holds up pretty well.

Some of the sketches are almost unwatchable now, but I remind myself that this is a series that premiered more than 55 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 207January 28, 2023 7:20 AM

Even during its initial run, it was a show for the middle aged and over.

It was my 80 year old grandmother’s favorite show.

by Anonymousreply 208January 28, 2023 9:50 AM

Some lowbrow slapstick that also appealed to kids.

by Anonymousreply 209January 28, 2023 9:57 AM

Was it Lyle's decision to leave the show or was he pushed out? How many seasons was he on?

by Anonymousreply 210January 28, 2023 1:27 PM

[quote] Even during its initial run, it was a show for the middle aged and over.

An erroneous statement.

It was a family friendly show. EVERYONE could watch it. It was a late evening show so there could be innuendos that might fly over a very young child's head. But when I watched in the 70s, I was 8 or 9 and watching and understanding Mrs. Wiggins, Eunice and Mama, etc.

by Anonymousreply 211January 28, 2023 1:40 PM

Begging mom to “please let us stay up late and watch Carol Burnett” is a fond childhood memory, as is her show.

On night about 15 years ago I was walking home down 7th Ave and passed the bright lit museum display window of the Fashion Institute of Technology. I was suddenly face to face with her Scarlett O’Hara Curtain Dress; part of a Bob Mackie exhibit. Just inches away from that hysterical moment from decades ago.

It was better than a chance spotting of Garbo.

by Anonymousreply 212January 28, 2023 1:47 PM

I saw it as a kid and laughed my head off when Carol did Marlene from Destry Rides Again, placing a foot on a chair and breaking through it.

by Anonymousreply 213January 28, 2023 1:51 PM

[R210] IIRC, I remember reading CBS didn't renew his contract for the show when the seventh season ended (1973-74) because he posed semi-nude for PLAYGIRL during that time for their first issue. (Back then this was a very controversial move, as male frontal nudity was a big taboo in our culture).

Waggoner, however, said he decided not to renew his contract for the show because he wanted to be taken seriously as a 'leading man' in Hollywood (he was approaching 40) and didn't want to continue as a cast member on a variety show. (He insisted it had nothing to do with his decision to pose for 'Playgirl'). A year after he left the show, he was cast in ABC's new hit drama 'The New Adventures of Wonder Woman' starring Lynda Carter - so I don't think he had any regrets. That show lasted four seasons.

by Anonymousreply 214January 28, 2023 2:33 PM

R214, He also launched a very successful business renting trailers to movies filming on location after leaving the show.

Lyle also fathered two sons, not as hot as Dad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215January 28, 2023 2:44 PM

"15 years", r212?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216January 28, 2023 2:49 PM

r214 Lyle never did frontal nudity.

by Anonymousreply 217January 28, 2023 4:53 PM

[quote]Did her and Lyle W. Have a falling out?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 218January 28, 2023 4:53 PM

Lyle was at the SAG awards tribute to Carol and she thanked him during her speech.

by Anonymousreply 219January 28, 2023 5:01 PM

I'm shocked to hear that Lyle was on for 7 seasons. I really would have guessed just one or 2.

by Anonymousreply 220January 28, 2023 5:49 PM

I hope she ducks.

by Anonymousreply 221January 28, 2023 6:04 PM

“About,” Doris, about.

by Anonymousreply 222January 28, 2023 6:16 PM

R219, And then he died.

by Anonymousreply 223January 28, 2023 6:23 PM

[quote] I'm shocked to hear that Lyle was on for 7 seasons. I really would have guessed just one or 2.

People always think of Tim Conway as a big part of the show but he was not a regular until sometime in the later years and only for a few years.

by Anonymousreply 224January 28, 2023 7:05 PM

No "about" about it, r222.

by Anonymousreply 225January 28, 2023 7:07 PM

R217 - I didn't say he did : I said he posed semi-nude for the new Playgirl magazine.

I also said this was a big deal, because male frontal nudity (which Playgirl was about) was a big taboo.

by Anonymousreply 226January 28, 2023 7:08 PM

Before becoming a regular near the end of its run, Conway was a frequent guest star.

by Anonymousreply 227January 28, 2023 7:08 PM

This hasn't been asked in about fifty posts, so I will ask again:

NBC ? Why NBC ? Her show was on CBS.

by Anonymousreply 228January 28, 2023 7:08 PM

[quote]People always think of Tim Conway as a big part of the show but he was not a regular until sometime in the later years and only for a few years.

A few years too many.

by Anonymousreply 229January 28, 2023 7:09 PM

[quote]This hasn't been asked in about fifty posts, so I will ask again: NBC ? Why NBC ? Her show was on CBS. was

Her show ended its run on CBS almost 45 years ago. It's not as though the same people are now running CBS. The most likely answer is that NBC was interested in airing this tribute and CBS apparently was not. NBC also aired a 90th-birthday prime-time tribute to Betty White, so it has a history with this kind of show.

by Anonymousreply 230January 28, 2023 7:17 PM

General Sarnoff approves.

by Anonymousreply 231January 28, 2023 7:20 PM

To the why NBC questioners…I would be willing to bet that much of this is Amy Poehler’s doing. She is a huge Carol fan and had been trying to get a show together starring both Carol and her. That ultimately didn’t pan out, but she would probably still have NBC execs’ ears. However it happened, CBS should bd ashamed they didn’t think of it first, Carol being the legend she is.

by Anonymousreply 232January 28, 2023 7:35 PM

[quote]However it happened, CBS should bd ashamed they didn’t think of it first, Carol being the legend she is.

Indeed, r232...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233January 28, 2023 7:43 PM

The show's 50th was on CBS, not sure if there was a falling out of some sort.

by Anonymousreply 234January 28, 2023 7:43 PM

CBS doesn't care about its solid gold history or anything other than getting more sad, fat deplorables to flick their beans while someone gets raped or killed on one of their forensic shows.

by Anonymousreply 235January 28, 2023 7:44 PM

The Mama sketches hit a little too close to home for the southern side of my family.

But my parents always appreciated the Queen Elizabeth sketches, especially when we’d get ice cream….”Do they have buffalo flavor?”

by Anonymousreply 236January 28, 2023 8:29 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237January 28, 2023 8:43 PM

When Lucie Arnaz produced that documentary on her parents in 1993, it aired on NBC rather than CBS because Lucie was angry with CBS for a shoddy movie they produced and aired without her input.

by Anonymousreply 238January 28, 2023 9:01 PM

I wish she'd finally admit Eunice, Mama and Ed were based on her Mother, Grandmother and father.

by Anonymousreply 239January 28, 2023 9:44 PM

How do you know they were, r239?

by Anonymousreply 240January 28, 2023 9:51 PM

Carol dodn't create the characters, but she suggested they be Southern. And it just evolved that Eunice drank too much; Mama was an old crank; and Ed was an ineffectual doofus. It's what she knew.

by Anonymousreply 241January 28, 2023 9:57 PM

The characters were created by Dick Clair (gay) and Jenna McMahon, a comedy duo.

by Anonymousreply 242January 28, 2023 10:02 PM

They also created Facts of Life, r242.

by Anonymousreply 243January 28, 2023 10:05 PM

r243 Not to mention the Tap-Dancing Nun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244January 28, 2023 10:20 PM

We don't need her kind on CBS anyway......

by Anonymousreply 245January 28, 2023 10:39 PM

R239 I could see those characters being somewhat inspired by.....but I don't quite think they were precisely based on those people.

Her father was incredibly sweet, to hear her tell it, but a drunk. Her mother and her grandmother did fight all the time, though, and THAT I can see influencing those portrayals.

by Anonymousreply 246January 28, 2023 10:44 PM

Amy often comes off really, really angry. That's true of many comedians. I don't think she's particularly funny. She came onto SNL at a time when it didn't have a lot of women and I think timing benefitted her.

Back when Hillary looked like she was going to win, she did an editorial on SNL news -- actually, it was probably Tina -- and she said bitch is the new black.

When Obama won, Tracy Morgan came on and said, "Bitch may be the new black but black is the new president, bitch."

Amy was seething, I recall.

by Anonymousreply 247January 29, 2023 1:15 AM

R243, I always get a chuckle when I read or see that sitcoms were created by people.

of course, they were but how many times did we see a star playing a divorced dad or separated mom with two precocious kids and a zany work environment.

by Anonymousreply 248January 29, 2023 1:17 AM

R186 I recall that. Every time you saw her interviewed around that time, she'd say something like "Well, things are much easier for me since I got m' new chin!" I could never really see that much of a difference.

by Anonymousreply 249January 29, 2023 1:18 AM

R247 I know a girl who was Tina Fey's personal assistant. She said Tina was pretty awful. But she said Amy was off the charts a horrible, horrible human being.

by Anonymousreply 250January 29, 2023 1:19 AM

Every so often, there would be skits parodying popular television commercials, which would be mostly forgotten by younger viewers today. Two I remember well:

After a dinner, sultry Cher comes on to Harvey Korman: "Jim? Would you like another cup of coffee? I have one in the bedroom." Harvey: "Oh, YEAH!" He and Cher walk off. Carol turns to the camera and says "Gee, thats funny...Jim NEVER wants a second cup of coffee!" (Parody of "Tasters Choice" coffee) commercial)

Wonder Bread used to have a commercial featuring two talking loaves of bread who would giggle everyone a housewife gave them a gentle squeeze. Carol in the kitchen accidentally squeezes a loaf of Wonder bread who giggles and says "don't squeeze me!" Carol picks up the loaf and slowly twists it and rips it to pieces while it screams.

I remember watching this and laughing very very hard.

by Anonymousreply 251January 29, 2023 1:40 AM

r250=Will Arnett

by Anonymousreply 252January 29, 2023 3:24 AM

Do Carol and her gay husband even live together?

by Anonymousreply 253January 29, 2023 3:35 AM

Two of Carol’s three daughters became drug addicts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254January 29, 2023 3:38 AM

Yes, we know.

by Anonymousreply 255January 29, 2023 4:31 AM

Amy got acting nominations for Parks & Rec but never won. She's not endearing as a performer.

Did she have memorable SNL characters? That manic girl who ran around Rick! Rick!

I never got that.

by Anonymousreply 256January 29, 2023 3:48 PM

True, r256, she doesn't do endearing.

by Anonymousreply 257January 29, 2023 3:52 PM

thanks to whoever said that old Carol Burnett episodes are on Amazon Prime.

I watched the Family scene where Ellen tried to make off with the China and the Tiffany lamp shade.

Eunice had had enough.

by Anonymousreply 258January 29, 2023 4:01 PM

I always feel a little crappy when someone corrects me on the internet. So I hope R251 has thicker skin than I when I point out the coffee commercial was actually for Yuban.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259January 29, 2023 4:07 PM

The same actress from the Yuban commercial revisited the role in the movie Airplane!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260January 29, 2023 4:08 PM

Carol has expressed her adoration for Randy Rainbow repeatedly. Why is that noxious cunt Billy Porter on the tribute and not Randy? Too gay for network tv?

by Anonymousreply 261January 29, 2023 4:34 PM

[quote]Too gay for network tv?

Since RuPaul is hosting a game show in prime time on CBS, I think that concept no longer exists.

by Anonymousreply 262January 29, 2023 4:35 PM

This hasn't been asked yet today, so I will ask:

Why NBC and not CBS ?

by Anonymousreply 263January 29, 2023 4:36 PM

I answered that already R263.

by Anonymousreply 264January 29, 2023 4:39 PM

[quote] I always feel a little crappy when someone corrects me on the internet.

Steel yourself.

[quote] So I hope [R251] has thicker skin than I

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 265January 29, 2023 4:42 PM

But is RuPaul on Grindr like Randy is?

by Anonymousreply 266January 29, 2023 4:44 PM

[quote] So I hope [[R251]] has thicker skin than I

What's "Oh, dear!" about this. Could have used a comma after the "So," but the rest was OK.

[quote] So[,] I hope [[R251]] has thicker skin than I [do].

by Anonymousreply 267January 29, 2023 5:05 PM

You can’t alter your quote and add a word to it and then say “what’s the matter with it?!”

You either type the “…than I [bold]do[/bold]” or you type “…than me.” A word cannot be implied.

by Anonymousreply 268January 29, 2023 5:13 PM

Hmmmmm.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269January 29, 2023 5:23 PM

Jesus, R269. From your OWN link:

[quote] The safest option is to expand the sentence after the "than." For example: John is taller than I am. (This construction will satisfy all your readers and remove any ambiguity[.)]

[quote] The Final Advice: Expand Your Sentence The best option is to use the "than I" version and [bold]expand the sentence after "than I." This usually means adding at least the verb (e.g., "than I am," "than I was," "than they have").[/bold] This structure removes all ambiguity and stops your wording sounding pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 270January 29, 2023 5:36 PM

Yes, R270, I saw that. It also states that the form you stated "cannot" be done is actually entirely acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 271January 29, 2023 5:40 PM

But it’s not the proper Queen’s English, lad!

(Tongue planted in cheek. And that was my cockney accent.)

by Anonymousreply 272January 29, 2023 5:43 PM

Work on it, Mr. Van Dyke @ r272.

by Anonymousreply 273January 29, 2023 6:00 PM

[quote]Why is that noxious cunt Billy Porter on the tribute and not Randy? Too gay for network tv?

What color is Randy? There's your answer.

by Anonymousreply 274January 29, 2023 6:12 PM

[quote]Katy Perry, Amy Poehler, Billy Porter, Bernadette Peters, Cher, Steve Carell, Tracee Ellis Ross, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Vicki Lawrence, and Jane Lynch.

Of those eleven people, two are black. Sorry that that's a problem for you, r274.

by Anonymousreply 275January 29, 2023 6:21 PM

How many on the list have actually met Carol?

by Anonymousreply 276January 29, 2023 9:25 PM

I have a signed photo, r276, does that count?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277January 29, 2023 9:41 PM

How many have NBC contracts?

by Anonymousreply 278January 29, 2023 10:53 PM

[quote]Mrs. O’Wiggins

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 279January 29, 2023 11:40 PM

You make-a fun of my speech impediment-a?

That’s-a not nice.

by Anonymousreply 280January 29, 2023 11:43 PM

It's h'Wiggins.

by Anonymousreply 281January 29, 2023 11:45 PM

I always thought if given a better time or place in Hollywood that Mo Collins could have easily been Carol’s successor.

by Anonymousreply 282January 30, 2023 12:13 AM

I still enjoy watching episodes of Carol's show on Decades, but nothing gets me to change the channel faster than a Mrs, Wiggins/Boss Tudball sketch, which to me were like fucking torture. The fact that I thought that Tim Conway was the unfunniest man on the planet may have had something to do with it, but I despise the utter predictability and total lack of anything approaching genuine wit.

by Anonymousreply 283January 30, 2023 1:34 AM

I turn the channel R283 when I see a Carol & Sis sketch. I loved when they had Vicki play Mrs, Tudball.

by Anonymousreply 284January 30, 2023 1:38 AM

A little goes a long way with most of Conway's stuff, I agree.

by Anonymousreply 285January 30, 2023 1:40 AM

Harvey Korman as Mother Marcus was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 286January 30, 2023 1:42 AM

Conway’s old man but did get old quickly, but I do love the As The Stomach Turns bit where he climbs inside the barn painting. And Mother Marcus was there too. I laugh every time.

by Anonymousreply 287January 30, 2023 1:43 AM

R286 . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288January 30, 2023 2:16 AM

For those asking why NBC, Carol did a show called "Carol and Company" that ran for 2 seasons on NBC. She probably has a good relationship with someone there. In fact she has worked with all 3 networks. Of course it makes more sense to do it with CBS, but with streaming, viral content and on-line advertising the whole Hollywood game has changed.

by Anonymousreply 289January 30, 2023 2:45 AM

r259: I'm delighted to be corrected! Thank you for that.

Wow - Yuban Coffee! I haven't heard that brand name in many decades! Still in business, too.

by Anonymousreply 290January 30, 2023 3:12 AM

Carol's mugging could be awful and sometimes she just thought wearing a wig was funny. Mary Tyler Moore she was not.

by Anonymousreply 291January 30, 2023 3:30 AM

Totally different animals, r291. Sketch comedy and musical numbers vs sitcom. Mary didn't do well in the variety format.

by Anonymousreply 292January 30, 2023 3:55 AM

[quote]First, her daughter Carrie Hamilton died from cancer in January, 2002 at the age of 38. Hamilton had a challenging life, being a drug addict during her teen years (Burnett said she put her in three rehabs during that time, and she was sober when she hit 17). Burnett recently said in an interview she still hasn't gotten over her daughter's death.

Carol guest-starred in a really sweet episode in the last season of "Fame" called "Reggie & Rose" and got to perform this number with Carrie (who was a series regular):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293January 30, 2023 4:18 AM

What is that terrible backing track?!

by Anonymousreply 294January 30, 2023 4:38 AM

Are those dentures?

by Anonymousreply 295January 30, 2023 4:40 AM

Sketch comedy bombs hard sometimes.

And yes, sometimes she mugged to fill in the blanks. But more often than not, the skits were good to great on average.

by Anonymousreply 296January 30, 2023 4:45 AM

I know many love Carol in the 'Went With The Wind' skit (I do, too), but my favorites are still the skits when she played the Queen. She had the accent down perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 297January 31, 2023 3:13 PM

TGMS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298February 1, 2023 3:01 AM

You gotta love the Millennial screeching in several posts above about how much he doesn't care about younger people not liking or getting his generation's pop culture icons.

"MILLENNIALS DON'T CARE!! WE JUST FIND IT FUNNY, WE DON'T GET ANGRY ABOUT IT THE WAY YOU BOOMERS DO!!!*

Sure thing, Toots.

by Anonymousreply 299February 1, 2023 2:36 PM

No one asked today, so I will...

WHy NBC and not CBS ?

by Anonymousreply 300February 1, 2023 4:58 PM

I'm not sure R300; but I gotta say, I'm quite surprised this isn't on CBS and more surprised nobody has really brought it up.

by Anonymousreply 301February 1, 2023 6:54 PM

R301 I know, right ? Everyone is acting today like it's normal for NBC to be hosting this when she was at CBS for 11 seasons. WTH ?

by Anonymousreply 302February 1, 2023 6:58 PM

What network is it going to be on?

by Anonymousreply 303February 1, 2023 10:05 PM

Carol and Charo (who I still love).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304February 1, 2023 10:32 PM

Why NBC? Why not CBS, home of Carol's show for 11 years? 1967–1978.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305February 2, 2023 12:45 AM

[quote]Why NBC? Why not CBS, home of Carol's show for 11 years? 1967–1978.

Perhaps someone should start a separate thread about this baffling mystery.

by Anonymousreply 306February 2, 2023 1:13 AM

^^It is baffling.

by Anonymousreply 307February 2, 2023 1:47 AM

I can't believe NBC is airing this special and not CBS, or ABC or PBS.

by Anonymousreply 308February 2, 2023 1:51 AM

Carol was all set to do the special on Skinamax but Lucy had Gary talk her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 309February 2, 2023 3:21 AM

Stews...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310February 2, 2023 3:25 AM

R310, I just watched that. The uptight prick boss was actually quite hot.

by Anonymousreply 311February 4, 2023 11:00 AM

Kennedy Center...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312February 4, 2023 3:23 PM

R311 - He was, but I really preferred the accordion player.

by Anonymousreply 313February 5, 2023 2:14 AM

I was most surprised at how short and petite Carol looked next to Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 314February 5, 2023 2:10 PM

Lucy was entering her Ethel Merman era

by Anonymousreply 315February 5, 2023 2:25 PM

I’m happy for Carol…but it’s also gotta be a real drag to go to these things when almost everyone you used to work with is dead and gone, and you are almost all that is left.

Betty White had the same problem.

It’s nice to be honored…but it’s better to have your friends around

by Anonymousreply 316February 5, 2023 3:00 PM

R314, I am always surprised at how awful Carol looks in those early-season episodes. That short haircut and the harsh '60s makeup were not kind.

Just a few years later, with a more feminine hairstyle and softer makeup, she doesn't look bad at all - not a great beauty, but quite pleasant looking, matching her nice personality. Back in '67 ... oof.

by Anonymousreply 317February 5, 2023 10:49 PM

R316, good point.

Vicki is still around.

Can't think of many/any others.

by Anonymousreply 318February 6, 2023 12:19 AM

R318, Dick Van Dyke was a series regular for one season.

by Anonymousreply 319February 6, 2023 1:08 AM

Van Dyke lasted less than half a season -- it wasn't really a good fit and they mutually agreed to part ways. It seems the writers were still writing for Harvey Korman but Dick van Dyke was a different persona and it resulted in a very dull presentation.

by Anonymousreply 320February 6, 2023 12:10 PM

R320, I can’t see Dick Van Dyke as Mother Marcus.

by Anonymousreply 321February 6, 2023 2:12 PM

DVD is a treasure, but his Yiddish accent is on par with his Cockney.

by Anonymousreply 322February 6, 2023 6:04 PM

[quote] Van Dyke lasted less than half a season -- it wasn't really a good fit and they mutually agreed to part ways.

Burnett show doesn't go for booze and ham.

by Anonymousreply 323February 6, 2023 10:12 PM

DVD is better in long form comedy - sketches and skits are not his strength.

by Anonymousreply 324February 7, 2023 3:30 PM

R317 Carol gained traction early in her career as the ugly but funny girl “type.” The Garry Moore Show, Once Upon A Mattress, Julie and Carol at Carnegie Hall, etc.

She started on her own show in 1967 that way, too, but it was striking by the early 1970s how her looks had changed. Makeup (especially using less mascara and false black eyelashes on her upper eyelids), hair color, clothes, weight loss, and I think some cosmetic surgery all changed Carol’s look. Some elements of her comedic persona remained the same; they were just no longer constant during every show as it was at the beginning of the run.

Say what you will about Burnett and her TV show, but some of the hardest and longest laughs I’ve had in my life came from watching her show when it originally aired.

by Anonymousreply 325February 12, 2023 8:21 PM

It was weird when Ed left Eunice. Those episodes were never part of the syndication package, so I only saw them recently.

It's genuinely upsetting. As annoying as Eunice was, it was painful seeing her dumped like that. Then Dick Van Dyke was brought in to be Eunice's suitor. But it was never exactly clear what was going on there. They hinted he was trying to take advantage of her financially but Eunice never had money. They should've had DVD play Ed.

Then, in the final episode, they put Eunice and Mama on a shrinks couch. It closed on a note of hope.

For Mama's Family, they retconned Ed back into the picture. He was with Euince again, and no mention was made of him having left her.

by Anonymousreply 326February 12, 2023 8:40 PM

Yes, but then there's the harrowing TV movie "Eunice" (1982) where things take a very dark turn by the end.

by Anonymousreply 327February 13, 2023 8:04 PM

R325, me, too;

humor was different back then.

Eunice Higgins remains a classic character; those Family sketches were the best.

The movie spoofs were great; even when I hadn't seen the movie (often, I hadn't) they were funy.

by Anonymousreply 328February 13, 2023 8:27 PM

R328 for years and years I would start to watch a classic movie, only to realize I was already familiar with the basics of the plot via a Carol Burnett spoof.

by Anonymousreply 329February 13, 2023 9:38 PM

R329, me too! I'm not sure I've ever seen A Stolen Life because I can't remember if I'm thinking of the real movie or the brilliant parody.

R325, I love the show, too, and still laugh out loud at some of the movie parodies available on YT. All I meant is that the particular look Carol had in the first season was especially unbecoming. She looked better on the Garry Moore show, even though she was typed as the "ugly but funny girl" - the fluffy late-50's hairstyle worked much better for her. The irony is that, in true Hollywood fashion, the "ugly girl" wasn't really ugly at all. Not a beauty, but not ugly - just rather ordinary looking.

by Anonymousreply 330February 15, 2023 10:01 AM

R330 Yes, the miniskirts and short hair weren't a good look for her. About 8 years into the run of her show, she did a montage of clips of her looks going back season-by-season. When the clip from season 1 appeared, Carol literally screamed in horror!

Carol gave birth to her second daughter Jody in January 1967 and was pregnant with Erin by around November 1967. Her show debuted in September of 1967, so it's a testament to Carol's strength and determination that she made it through the first season. That reminds me of a tabloid magazine I saw in a drugstore around that time. I didn't know that tabloids existed. The cover showed Carol, her then-husband and show producer Joe Hamilton, and her three infant children. The quote splashed across the cover was, "I have to have all the children he wants!" I was horrified so much I still remember it 55 years later!

by Anonymousreply 331February 16, 2023 1:30 AM

When Carol fired Harvey:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332February 16, 2023 5:21 AM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 333March 5, 2023 5:36 PM

Vicki shared some pics on Instagram from the special’s taping. No word whether they made her dress as Mama the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 334March 5, 2023 9:12 PM

Carol is going to be in a new AppleTV show called Mrs. American Pie debuting sometime this spring starring Kristen Wiig, Allison janey, Julia Duffy, Laura Dern and Ricky Martin. I hope it’s fun.

by Anonymousreply 335March 5, 2023 10:09 PM

R335, Will Carol collapse and die on set like John Ritter?

by Anonymousreply 336March 5, 2023 10:58 PM

Why not, R336? That would be an iconic way to go.

by Anonymousreply 337March 5, 2023 11:12 PM

They Carol Burnett a bash for being with that other lesbian Julie Andrews for over 45 years.

by Anonymousreply 338March 5, 2023 11:13 PM

What if Carol should die between now and the April 26th air date?

by Anonymousreply 339March 6, 2023 12:11 AM

It would be as awkward as our "Betty White at 100" cover, R339.

by Anonymousreply 340March 6, 2023 1:15 AM

[quote]What if Carol should die between now and the April 26th air date?

Then they'll retitle it "The Carol Burnett Memorial Special."

by Anonymousreply 341March 6, 2023 3:21 AM

Did they tell her there was going to be an audience there?

by Anonymousreply 342March 6, 2023 4:22 AM

Carol Burnett, Like Her Comedy, Is Still Timeless:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343April 13, 2023 3:49 PM

Carol Burnett was by far the nicest celeb I ever dealt with.

The other was Martina N. believe it or not.

I wish them both well.

by Anonymousreply 344April 13, 2023 4:10 PM

Carol appeared rather frail on Kimmel the other night, even for 90.

Mobility issues, Jimmy had to get up and lead her to the chair.

She knows this NBC shindig is her last hurrah.

by Anonymousreply 345April 13, 2023 7:30 PM

[quote]Carol Burnett, Like Her Comedy, Is Still Timeless:

Whoever wrote this hasn't seen a sketch I saw this morning on whatever Decades is called now, in which Carol did a knock-off of Lily Tomlin's Edith Ann character, complete with giant furniture, and sang a song about her dolly. It was excruciating.

by Anonymousreply 346April 13, 2023 7:34 PM

I met her once when I was 12 and she was so nice to me. Love Carol.

by Anonymousreply 347April 13, 2023 7:35 PM

When does this special air ?

by Anonymousreply 348April 13, 2023 7:36 PM

I grew up watching Carol's reruns on TV Land when I was in elementary school in the early 2000s and I loved the pop culture references and seeing adults being silly. One day when I was in 4th grade my entire school was called to the auditorium to prepare for a holiday concert. Our music teacher asked the assembled students if anyone knew who Carol Burnett was and I was the only one who raised my hand. My childhood experience in a nutshell.

We also can't complain that the kids today don't know anything about pop culture while also bitching about how Carol is too irrelevant to deserve a televised birthday tribute. People need to be given opportunities to learn. We have to honor those who came before us.

by Anonymousreply 349April 14, 2023 2:10 PM

[quote]We also can't complain that the kids today don't know anything about pop culture while also bitching about how Carol is too irrelevant to deserve a televised birthday tribute. People need to be given opportunities to learn. We have to honor those who came before us.

Excellent point.

by Anonymousreply 350April 14, 2023 3:17 PM

Love you, R349.

by Anonymousreply 351April 14, 2023 4:28 PM

R332-Because he was a bitter, nasty drunk?

by Anonymousreply 352April 14, 2023 5:02 PM

To R74, You are correct, that is why Miss Porter is on the show!! I would have loved to see Miss Porter in the dress doing his thing, then Julie Andrews and Harvey Korman come out wearing the "green dress" from opposite ends of the stage.

by Anonymousreply 353April 14, 2023 6:05 PM

Is Charles Busch going to be on the show? His on-stage movie parodies were very much in the style and quality of Burnett's.

by Anonymousreply 354April 14, 2023 6:10 PM

How did Lena Waithe get involved in this?

by Anonymousreply 355April 14, 2023 6:13 PM

[quote] it’s also gotta be a real drag to go to these things when almost everyone you used to work with is dead and gone, and you are almost all that is left.

R316, maybe you can ask Carol to sign a copy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356April 14, 2023 9:49 PM

[quote]We also can't complain that the kids today don't know anything about pop culture while also bitching about how Carol is too irrelevant to deserve a televised birthday tribute. People need to be given opportunities to learn. We have to honor those who came before us.

This is such a great point. It's not the fault of "the kids" if they know nothing about earlier popular culture. It's the fault of their parents for not exposing them to and teaching them about the popular culture of their own childhood and youth This is especially unforgiveable given the tremendous resources available today.

My parents listened to contemporary pop music for adults (this was in the 1960s), but they also listened to the music of their own younger days - big band music and jazz - and they watched, talked about and taught me about the cultural icons of their generation. I learned to appreciate mid-century culture from them, for which I will always be grateful. I feel sorry for people who know nothing about and have no interest in popular culture "before their time". What a waste.

by Anonymousreply 357April 15, 2023 12:13 AM

I feel rich, in a way. I was born in 1970. But I love and have a comprehensive knowledge of the American songbook, Cole Porter, Gershwin, Ella Fitzgerald but also The Beatles, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, ect.

I love the comedy of George Carlin, Jack Benny and Eddie Murphy. I love movies of the '30s and '40s, and know the '70s was the single greatest time for American movies.

If it's the case that young people have zero interest in what came before their time, that is very sad for them indeed. Some of these things are the things that make life worth living, our rich American culture.

by Anonymousreply 358April 15, 2023 8:38 AM

Tonight!

by Anonymousreply 359April 26, 2023 8:31 PM

Carol's reruns have been on TV and on Amazon Prime.

The problem today is kids have zillions of choices. I was a kid when I grew up watching Carol on Saturday night with my family and we only had the one TV.

Now, kids watch tik tok on their phone.

I hope the special does well. Not sure how streaming viewers are added to ratings. She's a national treasure. I met her once when I was working as a Page at CBS TV City. She saw that I was a fan and was the epitome of graciousness.

by Anonymousreply 360April 26, 2023 9:22 PM

The younger generations know her now from Better Call Saul. That part was a real coup for her.

by Anonymousreply 361April 26, 2023 9:58 PM

Love her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362April 26, 2023 10:25 PM

What I find frustrating about tributes like this is that they always pick the weakest clips to show and when they do pick a good one, they only show like 5 seconds of it.

by Anonymousreply 363April 27, 2023 1:00 AM

R15 As I was watching Carol’s old skits, I would “This is the kind of stuff SNL should do to be funny again…”

by Anonymousreply 364April 27, 2023 1:43 AM

This special came across as a 'memorial tribute' as though she died. Why have Katy Perry close out the show ? They should have had her longtime friend Cher close the show and sing her signature song.

by Anonymousreply 365April 27, 2023 2:14 AM

What's her name from Annie is annoying.

by Anonymousreply 366April 27, 2023 2:15 AM

Marisa Tomei as Mrs. Wiggins flipping her wig! Wave that wig around, Marisa!

by Anonymousreply 367April 27, 2023 2:22 AM

That whole 'Annie' skit went on far too long and was horrible. Why in the world did they choose that ? The film was one of the biggest bombs in 1982. And many critics panned Burnett's performance, as well.

by Anonymousreply 368April 27, 2023 2:23 AM

Why NBC and not CBS? Probably because the night is about honoring and celebrating Carol and not just her variety show.

by Anonymousreply 369April 27, 2023 3:05 AM

Most likely because NBC was interested in the idea and CBS wasn't, R369. NBC has produced these kinds of shows before and had one for Betty White when she turned 90. And it's not as though the CBS executives who were around when Carol was doing her show there are still at the network.

by Anonymousreply 370April 27, 2023 3:10 AM

I'll tell you, Steve Lawrence is 88 years old, but doesn't look or act much older than 60. I remember him constantly being in sketches on her show, but really nothing else, unless it was singing with Edie. He was funny on those old shows.

by Anonymousreply 371April 27, 2023 5:54 AM

I always thought Steve Lawrence was absolutely hilarious in those sketches and, looking back, it's kind of surprising he was never asked to join the show as a regular. He was such a natural at doing comedy.

by Anonymousreply 372April 27, 2023 6:02 AM

What a fun show!

by Anonymousreply 373April 27, 2023 7:41 AM

[quote]I'll tell you, Steve Lawrence is 88 years old, but doesn't look or act much older than 60.

Steve Lawrence has Alzheimer's.

by Anonymousreply 374April 27, 2023 7:57 AM

R373 Right? When Harvey Korman left, Steve would've been a much better fit than Dick Van Dyke. You can't take a lead guy like DVD and suddenly ask him to be a supporting player. But Lawrence fit into that role so well. Again, I don't know why I never saw him in other roles except for the Burnett show.

Does he really, R374? I figured all those interviews we saw were recent. That's really sad.

by Anonymousreply 375April 27, 2023 8:49 AM

I have always found it both puzzling and amusing that some like to speak, even boast, of neither knowing or caring about entertainment legends, even questioning their talents and the merit of their accolades, from the Beatles to Burnett, from Elvis to Elton.

Such a type seems not to realize that their indifference to the past foretells the future's indifference to them and their icons.

by Anonymousreply 376April 27, 2023 9:15 AM

[quote] "Will it be like a Dean Martin Roast with shots of the stars fake laughing?"

I'd have loved this, R78. Plus a few spit takes thrown in for good measure.

by Anonymousreply 377April 27, 2023 9:34 AM

R374/R375

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378April 27, 2023 10:36 AM

I already RSVP'd that I'd be attending.

by Anonymousreply 379April 27, 2023 11:43 AM

Here's Marisa Tomei dressed as Mrs. Wiggins, and flipping her wig on the Carol Burnett 90th Birthday Special.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380April 27, 2023 11:45 AM

Carol and her gay husband were the Executive Producers, according to the closing credits.

Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 381April 27, 2023 1:05 PM

The audio kept cutting out throughout the program here in Boston.

by Anonymousreply 382April 27, 2023 1:06 PM

R382 By any chance, do you have COX for your provider ? I'm in RI, and since I've switched to COX I have audio problems on some of my networks. Others in RI have also complained about it. (ABC is the worst).

by Anonymousreply 383April 27, 2023 1:10 PM

R383, No, COMCAST. Actually, I DVR'd it and watched it this morning, so either the audio was cutting out on the original broadcast or on my DVR recording..

by Anonymousreply 384April 27, 2023 1:21 PM

Sorry I missed it but curious - did they show many (any?) clips of young Carol on The Garry Moore Show where she came to national prominence? Did they show any clips from her 1962 fabulous TV special Julie (Andrews) and Carol at Carnegie Hall?

by Anonymousreply 385April 27, 2023 2:16 PM

Yes to both, R385. Brief ones, of course.

by Anonymousreply 386April 27, 2023 2:21 PM

Was Bernadette given a nice amount of screen time? She was practically a regular on Carols show.

by Anonymousreply 387April 27, 2023 6:57 PM

Bernadette got more time than just about anyone.

by Anonymousreply 388April 27, 2023 7:02 PM

Why the fuck was that dreadful Aileen Quinn there? She's like what, 60 now? Give it up, you're not Annie anymore ffs.

by Anonymousreply 389April 27, 2023 7:12 PM

Glad to hear that, r388. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 390April 27, 2023 7:22 PM

Since Carol was listed as Executive Producer in the credits, she had control over the content and who would appear on the show.

Where were her husband, daughters, grandchildren and her beloved sister?

Why was Carol seated with Julie Andrews and not her family?

by Anonymousreply 391April 27, 2023 8:11 PM

Carol Burnett’s 90th birthday special scored a primetime win for NBC with 7.6 million total viewers, making the variety show the most-watched broadcast program of the night.

As viewers tuned in “Carol Burnett: 90 Years of Laughter + Love,” which aired from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m., the special ranked as NBC’s most-watched primetime entertainment special since the 2020 Golden Globes. The tribute program also received the fourth most viewers among all primetime entertainment specials this season, behind the Oscars, Grammys and ABC’s “Rocking New Year’s Eve.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392April 28, 2023 2:39 AM

R392, NBC aired it at 8:00 PM before the majority of fans from her 1960s variety show went to bed.

by Anonymousreply 393April 28, 2023 4:29 AM

I thought the two hours went by swiftly, and that not enough was shown! Could have done without so much BP (sorry, r387!) and all of Katy Perry!

by Anonymousreply 394April 28, 2023 1:23 PM

[quote]Why was Carol seated with Julie Andrews and not her family?

For reasons that are well known to them.

by Anonymousreply 395April 28, 2023 1:47 PM

I get the feeling that Carol is somewhat cold and remote, like Mary Tyler Moore. There's that story of her not speaking ti Vicki Lawrence for many, many years after she agreed to do Mama's Family without her participation in syndication. At things like her 90th birthday, she seems very guarded.

This is not to say she isn't lovely when you meet her. She was very nice when I met her circa 1999.

by Anonymousreply 396April 28, 2023 5:35 PM

It may be forgotten but Carol was actually televisions first female costumed super-heroine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397April 28, 2023 6:16 PM

there's an extended version of the special on peacock, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 398April 28, 2023 6:47 PM

R397, That was on the Special. 🙂

by Anonymousreply 399April 28, 2023 7:09 PM

They couldn't find anyone more appropriate to sing I'm So Glad We Had This Time Together?

Literally anyone could have done better than Katy Perry.

Audra? Meryl? Christine Baranski?

No, of course it would have to be Gaga or Katy Perry or some other shrieking hag.

by Anonymousreply 400April 28, 2023 7:25 PM

I was howling with laughter at some points. I plan to watch it again this weekend. I remember some bits of the show when I was a kid but I think I had to go to bed before it came on most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 401April 28, 2023 7:34 PM

The theme song should have been shown as sung by Carol in one of her episodes. KP was dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 402April 29, 2023 10:41 AM

Remember when TV was filled with these one time gala spectacular salutes about something or another? Just an excuse to put on a big show? What a wholesome idea.

by Anonymousreply 403April 29, 2023 10:55 AM

When is it on?

by Anonymousreply 404April 29, 2023 10:55 AM

Based on the pic in R392... Carol had a stroke during the show? That might be why the ratings were high; everyone tunes in for live death.

by Anonymousreply 405April 29, 2023 12:18 PM

She's 90 fucking years old, R405.

by Anonymousreply 406April 29, 2023 6:37 PM

Why was it on NBC. Did Carol have a falling out with CBS?

by Anonymousreply 407April 29, 2023 6:55 PM

R406 - And?

by Anonymousreply 408April 29, 2023 7:06 PM

[quote]I get the feeling that Carol is somewhat cold and remote, like Mary Tyler Moore.

And they both had children who ended up committing suicide.

by Anonymousreply 409April 29, 2023 7:10 PM

Sorry, I was wrong about Carol's daughter, who died of cancer.

by Anonymousreply 410April 29, 2023 7:12 PM

R410, Yes, her daughter died of cancer, but she once had a serious drug problem. Now, a second daughter has a serious drug problem, forcing Carol to seek legal custody of her grandson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411April 29, 2023 8:21 PM

Why are her grandchildren so young?

by Anonymousreply 412April 29, 2023 8:26 PM

Mary Tyler Moore says that her son did not commit suicide. She said that the gun had a hair trigger and that there was a recall on the gun some time after her son died.

by Anonymousreply 413April 29, 2023 8:35 PM

[quote]Sorry, I was wrong about Carol's daughter, who died of cancer.

I thought Carrie was such a talent. I loved her as Reggie on "Fame."

by Anonymousreply 414April 29, 2023 9:15 PM

It was hard to accept the stories of MTM being cold and distant in some biography of her I read a few years back. But so many fell that about her, I don't doubt it. I kinda envy it, to be honest. Caring about people so much is hard.

by Anonymousreply 415April 30, 2023 4:55 AM

R415 Rose Marie either said or wrote in her autobiography "Hold the Roses" that during the run of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" Mary was very focused on building her career. Rose Marie's take on that was it left little room for interactions with people that Mary didn't feel would contribute to her goal. It's a pretty harsh comment, but Rose Marie also admitted that she was not happy about the fact that Carl Reiner focused more on Rob Petrie's home life than his work life in the show, which gave Mary Tyler Moore a lot more screen time than Rose Marie. The latter claimed she was led to believe she would have a bigger part in the show than what she got.

by Anonymousreply 416April 30, 2023 5:50 AM

Look, I can buy that Mary was driven. And that audience reaction dictated the home stories take precedence over the work, but Rose Marie had nothing to complain about. I believe she's in nearly every episode with several revolving around her. Women her age weren't focused too much on on TV in those days, so really she had quite a nice 5 year run.

by Anonymousreply 417April 30, 2023 7:04 AM

[quote] Mary Tyler Moore says that her son did not commit suicide. She said that the gun had a hair trigger and that there was a recall on the gun some time after her son died.

Yes, that was the official story provided to her by his then-roommate, Alec Baldwin.

by Anonymousreply 418April 30, 2023 2:44 PM

I thought the whole thing was embarrassing. Cher was a horror in that dress.

by Anonymousreply 419April 30, 2023 2:57 PM

R419, Then I guess you won't be watching it again when NBC repeats it tonight at 7:00 PM.

by Anonymousreply 420April 30, 2023 4:33 PM

I'm watching it now; how can people always make it about themselves?

I guess that's only human nature.

I've met Carol a few times; once as a kid (well, 27 but I looked 19); and again in 2019.

Both times incredibly gracious.

Classy broad.

by Anonymousreply 421April 30, 2023 6:11 PM

I agree - a clip of Carol singing I"m So Glad We Had This Time...should have been played; unnecessary to this program were Katy Perry, Ellen (I can't look at her without thinking of her yelling at people), Amy P. -- I know she produced this but her bit just sucked up time.

They didn't dig deep enough on Eunice, the dramatic movie Carol did playing her was brilliant. Was there a Friendly Fire clip? I may have to watch again.

Marisa was solid. Vicki Lawrence can never show enough gratitude in my book.

by Anonymousreply 422April 30, 2023 7:54 PM

R422, Carol and her husband are listed as Executive Producers. Isn't that like throwing yourself a birthday party? Seems tacky.

by Anonymousreply 423April 30, 2023 8:53 PM

[quote]Isn't that like throwing yourself a birthday party?

And why not? Nothing tacky about it at all.

by Anonymousreply 424April 30, 2023 8:55 PM

R424, It reeks of tackiness and phoniness. As EPs, they lined their pockets with a share of the profits.

by Anonymousreply 425April 30, 2023 9:01 PM

Everything in life isn't a scandal, R425.

by Anonymousreply 426April 30, 2023 9:24 PM

[quote]As EPs, they lined their pockets with a share of the profits.

So? It's *Carol's* 90th birthday. There wouldn't be a show without her. Who the hell is more deserving of a share of the profits? You seem to get bent out of shape by very mundane things, r425.

by Anonymousreply 427April 30, 2023 9:28 PM

R427 you must know a lot of cunts frequent the DL because they have nothing (I sincerely mean that) else to do but bitch.

by Anonymousreply 428April 30, 2023 9:31 PM

You ought to know, R428. One look at your numerous posts shows what a bitter, loathsome, piece of shit you are.

by Anonymousreply 429April 30, 2023 9:46 PM

I liked it a lot. Carol is a national treasure.

Are she and Mary Poppins, you know, an item?

by Anonymousreply 430April 30, 2023 9:50 PM

There was a brief clip from Friendly Fire, but nothing I could see from A Wedding, Four Seasons, Pete n Tillie.

by Anonymousreply 431April 30, 2023 10:11 PM

There were definitely clips from "A Wedding" and "The Four Seasons."

by Anonymousreply 432April 30, 2023 10:13 PM

R431, they showed brief clips from A Wedding and Four Seasons but nothing as I recall from Pete and Tillie.

by Anonymousreply 433April 30, 2023 10:13 PM

[quote]Are she and Mary Poppins, you know, an item?

They've been friends for almost 70 years, r430, if you want to call that an "item".

by Anonymousreply 434April 30, 2023 10:14 PM

By the way, I was just scanning my onscreen TV guide and saw where NBC is repeating it tonight at 7pm ET for anyone who’s interested.

by Anonymousreply 435April 30, 2023 10:15 PM

R429 I think I love you!❤️

by Anonymousreply 436April 30, 2023 10:16 PM

What would we do without you, R435?

by Anonymousreply 437April 30, 2023 11:16 PM

When Variety International used to host those "All Star Party . . ." specials, the honoree would be seated at a table with their family, and each member would be introduced.

It would have been a nice touch if Carol was sitting with her family on the show, but since she was tbe Executive Producer, she must have decided against that.

by Anonymousreply 438May 1, 2023 1:20 AM

SHe was raw in Pete and Tillie; her rage over the death of her son?

It matched the pain I saw in my own Mom after her husband/my dad died at a really young age. I remember him but not much.

Decades later, I still long for a dad in my life; it really fucked me up.

by Anonymousreply 439May 1, 2023 1:24 AM

Overly produced. These stars were all like zombies. This era is great but so so out of place in todays era. All of Hollywood and big media is feels like this now. Everyone in that room would turn on anyone in an instant.

by Anonymousreply 440May 1, 2023 5:03 AM

they could have gone heavier on clips and lighter on wedging folks in there we don't care about.

"Carol, you made MEEEE feel so wonderful. You inspired MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE to become a star!"

by Anonymousreply 441May 1, 2023 5:48 AM

R441 this is the American form of communication now. It is no longer safe to say anything about others for it may not align with their truth so you can only talk about yourself even if there is no real story there. Classic individualism.

by Anonymousreply 442May 1, 2023 6:16 AM

I was watching the old show on MeTV tonight and it occurred to me how nice it would’ve been had they reunited Carol with the surviving members of the Ernie Flatt Dancers. I checked and Don and Stan are both still living.

by Anonymousreply 443May 1, 2023 6:26 AM

Anyone else had enough of Sheryl Lee Ralph?

When did she become so annoyingly pompous?

by Anonymousreply 444May 1, 2023 6:43 AM

Did you notice someone in the audience say to the person next to them, "who is she?" in one of the last audience cutaways during her presentation, r444?

by Anonymousreply 445May 1, 2023 6:46 AM

So, if Carol has replaced Betty White as America's Oldest Living Sweetheart, who is next in line?

by Anonymousreply 446May 1, 2023 6:53 AM

Anyone who believes Vicki Lawrence is not talented, go to 3:20.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447May 1, 2023 7:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!