Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Any vintage glassware experts here who could help me?

I’ve been trying for a few years now to track down this exact type of whiskey glass as a gift for my sister who is obsessed with the movie Moonstruck. And I’ve come close but haven’t found the exact glass Olympia Dukakis and what’s his face are holding. I’ve tried Replacements Ltd countless times, eBay, Etsy, auctions. Also eBay Canada because much of the actual film set shot inside the house was in Toronto. You name it, I’ve looked.

They’re close to Ebeling and Reuss Marchioness, but not quite. Marchioness has a gold rim at the top of the glass, whereas the glasses I want have a thin gold band at the top and bottom of the ruby band. I‘ve also looked at countless mid-century Bohemian cut-to-clear glassware. Nope not it. Couldn’t find any Italian glassmakers who match either.

I’m at a loss and I’m sick of looking and was hoping some eagle-eyed expert here can just tell me exactly who made them and where I can find them. I can post more photos if needed. Anyone who can chime in with their expertise is appreciated. Except Greg. Greg and his cod and prunes can go to hell. (joking) (maybe)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 28, 2023 4:22 PM

Its ruby cut glass, seen alot at flea markets and antique malls.

by Anonymousreply 1January 26, 2023 6:15 PM

Too bad. I know where to get those tumblers.

by Anonymousreply 2January 26, 2023 6:16 PM

I have that glass!! I was just about to give it away to The Good Will. How can I get it to you??

by Anonymousreply 3January 26, 2023 6:17 PM

R2: I love/hate you lol R3: I want to believe you but…

by Anonymousreply 4January 26, 2023 6:23 PM

Ruby cut glass. Try a Chinese or Mid-Eastern run home decor "CRAP" store. The kind you find all over European cities in ghettos.

by Anonymousreply 5January 26, 2023 6:38 PM

I've never paid attention to the glass but now I will. I have some antique etched old Fosteria stemware I'd love to get replacements for but it's pricey now.

by Anonymousreply 6January 26, 2023 6:42 PM

Cranberry etched glass with flash gold bands. This pattern looks very, very similar to a number of popular mid-century patterns that came out of Czechoslovakia/Bavaria. The double gold bands seem to have been especially popular there.

by Anonymousreply 7January 26, 2023 6:43 PM

Nice bro you are.

by Anonymousreply 8January 26, 2023 6:45 PM

R7: definitely. And I checked as many Czech/Bavarian glassware manufactures as I could find and would always come very close, but never exactly like the ones in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 9January 26, 2023 6:47 PM

R8: I try. It’s not easy sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 10January 26, 2023 6:48 PM

Exteriors were shot in Brooklyn Heights, only a couple blocks from where I used to live. Real nostalgia trip, watching that movie. And Olympia was my acting teacher for a year at NYU Tisch. More nostalgia.

Not that that helps you much.

Good luck with your search.

by Anonymousreply 11January 26, 2023 6:51 PM

This is where DL really shines. This type of thread.

by Anonymousreply 12January 26, 2023 7:08 PM

R9- You are a very dedicated brother.

by Anonymousreply 13January 26, 2023 7:09 PM

Just find some old BAMA jelly jar glasses.

by Anonymousreply 14January 26, 2023 7:14 PM

Chances are, OP, that your sister is not an OCD dishqueen like yourself, and will be delighted with the ones you found that are ALMOST the same.

by Anonymousreply 15January 26, 2023 7:15 PM

If you've not yet asked around on Reddit, there's a board devoted to such questions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 26, 2023 7:16 PM

R11: I’m jealous. It’s a great, timeless film. And damn, Olympia was your teacher? Now I’m really jealous. You’re very fortunate to have known her and to have been taught by her. I had no idea she ever taught acting.

It doesn’t help with my search but they were interesting anecdotes so, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 17January 26, 2023 7:20 PM

R16: I thought about asking Reddit on the subreddit you linked, but, having followed that subreddit for as long as I have, it’s hit or miss. If I’m really, really desperate, I will. But I genuinely believe that by harnessing the collective powers of obscure pointless information, fine glassware knowledge, and film trivia that IS Datalounge, I will be pointed directly to this goddamn whiskey glass.

by Anonymousreply 18January 26, 2023 7:28 PM

I never noticed the glassware in all the times I watched this film. Interesting, what we notice and don't notice.

by Anonymousreply 19January 26, 2023 8:10 PM

I'm in the goop thread and visited her website, this popped up on the sale page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 26, 2023 10:51 PM

Wow. I can't believe something on Goop costs $12.

by Anonymousreply 21January 26, 2023 10:53 PM

Aw, OP, just get her a Fat Broad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 26, 2023 11:16 PM

This one's on eBay...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 27, 2023 2:37 AM

OP, I know the movie was made ages ago, but could you check the credits for the prop department and try to get in touch with someone who's still around to ask what those glasses were?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 27, 2023 4:26 AM

They're so close to Ebeling and Reuss Marchioness that I have to think they were a department store knock-off version of them, maybe something at a Macy's or JC Penney's that was sold around the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 25January 27, 2023 12:05 PM

[quote] This one's on eBay…

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 26January 27, 2023 12:48 PM

R20: close but not the same R22: ha! I should. R23: see response to R20

by Anonymousreply 27January 27, 2023 2:17 PM

Look on ruby lane, they have lots of fabulous antiques

by Anonymousreply 28January 27, 2023 2:26 PM

I do collect old glass and it look like Bohemian cut to clear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 27, 2023 2:48 PM

You've probably tried this, but I would Google image search

by Anonymousreply 30January 27, 2023 3:00 PM

R29: old glass, esp cut to clear, is great. I’ve found several pieces I want to buy, even if it’s not the whiskey glass match from the movie.

by Anonymousreply 31January 27, 2023 3:00 PM

Did Kitty Dukakis drink her hairspray out of fine vintage cut glassware, or??

by Anonymousreply 32January 27, 2023 3:08 PM

R31 I collect EAPG, Depression and Elegant Glass, uranium and anything I find unusual and different.

by Anonymousreply 33January 27, 2023 9:31 PM

[quote] If I’m really, really desperate, I will.

Says the guy who comes to DL to ask.

by Anonymousreply 34January 27, 2023 10:23 PM

I have those exact same glasses. I use them to rinse off my pasta after draining it.

by Anonymousreply 35January 27, 2023 10:33 PM

And here I am, with full knowledge of where to get these very glasses, yet not only is the OP too proud to ask, he specifically mentioned that he does not want my input. Fine by me!

by Anonymousreply 36January 28, 2023 3:43 PM

What's "oh dear" about that, r26?

by Anonymousreply 37January 28, 2023 4:01 PM

I’m pretty sure Crusty Earl at the Uncle Jon’s Flea Market in St. John has the exact genuine replicas of those glasses.

This should be a quest involving a Ford Festiva, several hours driving back AND FORTH across the Ohio hellscape, and degrading sodomy with antique dealers who are “Strictly into Eastlake and bridal baskets”.

by Anonymousreply 38January 28, 2023 4:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!