Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends: 1975 hippie chic in Topanga Canyon, California $2.6M

Located on a quarter-acre in a cul-de-sac, the house has 2384 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, a studio/guest house, of course, and a small building built as a children's playhouse. It retains much of its original details and character, and well I think. It's a handsome place that's of its time but has held up without looking dated.

It's not my style, but what a great house to live in for six months or a year. And fill with hippie friends, of course, making tofu stir fry things in the compact central kitchen, milling about smoking too much weed in the outdoor patios, fucking in the old playhouse. Guitars might be involved, but acoustic please. There's not much about the place I dislike at all, and that's rare enough.

The bathrooms are not shown. THe kitchen stove could use a good extraction vent -- and I'm hoping a refigerator stuck away nearby out of camera sight.

'Own a piece of 1970s hippie history' suggests thespaces.com.

[quote]A rustic one-of-a-kind, post-and-beam home has come to market...and it’s still got its original 1975 interiors.

[quote]The Topanga Canyon pad boasts a dramatic 20-foot rock fireplace and sweeping canyon views through its towering floor-to-ceiling glass walls.

[quote]The Canyon was a haven for the newly-moneyed bohemia of the late 1960s and early 70s and the ‘‘Back to Nature’ movement. It was where musicians found inspiration, becoming home to members of The Doors, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Bernie Leadon, and Don Healy of the Eagles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 26, 2023 10:07 PM

Love it. There's maybe to much wood and the kitchen needs a reno, but the views are incredible. Love the bedroom at slide 20. And a little guest house. Fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 1January 26, 2023 4:45 PM

*too much wood

by Anonymousreply 2January 26, 2023 4:46 PM

I'm in love. Fabulous period home.

by Anonymousreply 3January 26, 2023 7:27 PM

Love the house but I wouldn't spend that sort of $$ for a house without a pool in LA.

by Anonymousreply 4January 26, 2023 7:55 PM

AWESOME. Enviable.

by Anonymousreply 5January 26, 2023 8:00 PM

A pool would definitely be a plus but the price for that much house and those views seems fair.

by Anonymousreply 6January 26, 2023 8:03 PM

I feel like it was a filming location for something but can't place it.

by Anonymousreply 7January 26, 2023 8:13 PM

I think a lot of these wood homes read differently in person than in pictures. I bet this house looks much more shipping-crate treehouse in person than in these pictures.

I give them that it’s been staged well and the pictures highlight its strengths while downplaying, or outright omitting in the case of the bathrooms, its weaknesses

by Anonymousreply 8January 26, 2023 8:13 PM

Topanga is so stunning and so damn unlivable. At least for me. Far away from everything and it's either on fire or, recently, flooding.

I love the house. Love it. But you couldn't pay me to live out there.

by Anonymousreply 9January 26, 2023 8:19 PM

That’s where Ruth’s sister on Six Feet Under lived.

by Anonymousreply 10January 26, 2023 9:19 PM

I would be worried about fire and termites. Otherwise, it’s gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 11January 26, 2023 9:21 PM

I can smell the Patchouli.

by Anonymousreply 12January 26, 2023 10:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!