Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Moving to Somerville, MA - what should I know?

OK, Loungers, I'm relocating to Somerville for partner's job. Someone must know something.

by Anonymousreply 10January 26, 2023 3:58 PM

It’s not Cambridge, but it’s close.

by Anonymousreply 1January 26, 2023 1:49 PM

r1 um?

by Anonymousreply 2January 26, 2023 1:52 PM

It used to where people lived who couldn’t afford Boston.

by Anonymousreply 3January 26, 2023 1:57 PM

what is it now? r3

by Anonymousreply 4January 26, 2023 1:57 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 26, 2023 2:18 PM

It’s not Cambridge or Boston, but it’s getting to be as expensive as those cities. OP, you’ll have plenty to do, lots of culture at your doorstep, and the T continues to expand so you don’t have to drive everywhere. In the 70s, Somerville was kind of a joke but it’s pretty upscale now. There may be parts that are lagging in the race to gentrification but mostly it’s a good place to live.

What neighborhood are you moving to? Near Davis Square? Or…?

by Anonymousreply 6January 26, 2023 2:50 PM

Ooh! I know Somerville from playing Fallout 4.

by Anonymousreply 7January 26, 2023 3:01 PM

[quote]and the T continues to expand

Drop the T!!

by Anonymousreply 8January 26, 2023 3:32 PM

Somerville was always known as working-class town outside of Boston. There's a huge population of Greeks there, who came and settled in America during the 30s - 70s and gave Somerville generations of entrepeneurs. You will find an ample supply of Greek restaurants, pizza parlors and bakeries, as well as Greek property owners and merchants. (Shirtless Greek men who look like Adonis are always a plus in my book).

by Anonymousreply 9January 26, 2023 3:36 PM

In Somerville all seems to breathe freedom and peace and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 10January 26, 2023 3:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!