Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ashley Judd is Anita Bryant

Apparently they’re making a film on Anita and Ashley has been cast as her. Neil Patrick Harris is also going to be in it. Would you see something about Anita?

by Anonymousreply 73January 28, 2023 12:46 AM

Why was she so obsessed with homosexuality? She had so much else going on. Did some lesbian come into her or something?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 26, 2023 8:32 AM

Is there ANY job Neil Patrick Harris will turn down?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 26, 2023 8:51 AM

[quote]Is there ANY job Neil Patrick Harris will turn down?

Raising props isn't cheap...especially when they've outlived their usefulness as cute photo ops.

by Anonymousreply 3January 26, 2023 9:44 AM

Anita Bryant turned out to be a sleazy Christian grifter.

Hope the dark side is included. She's far more rotten than just the gay stuff.

by Anonymousreply 4January 26, 2023 10:33 AM

I guess they've officially run out of fresh ideas for programming.

by Anonymousreply 5January 26, 2023 10:35 AM

R2 True, and I thought we didn't want gays playing straight guys, or straight guys playing gay guys? And seriously NPH's success almost surprises me - he's cute, and bland, but he sure gets a lot of offers, it seems. Or maybe that's why - simple and boring.

by Anonymousreply 6January 26, 2023 11:13 AM

She seems like a good choice - she can rock that bouffanty brunette ’do.

by Anonymousreply 7January 26, 2023 11:33 AM

She’ll be so sick of orange juice by the end of it.

And fags.

by Anonymousreply 8January 26, 2023 11:36 AM

Since churchy Anita Bryant obviously believes in heaven, I wonder what she will say when asked what about this commandment she didn't understand: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'

by Anonymousreply 9January 26, 2023 11:37 AM

the question is will I see a movie with NPH in it

or Ashley Judd without Wynonna holding her head under the water

by Anonymousreply 10January 26, 2023 11:43 AM

Who will Wynonna play?

by Anonymousreply 11January 26, 2023 11:45 AM

Yes. It was very brave of her to open a store for plus-sized women. They need modestly priced, semi-fashionable clothes too!

by Anonymousreply 12January 26, 2023 11:49 AM

I think Naomi was embarrassed that Wynonna got so heavy.

by Anonymousreply 13January 26, 2023 11:53 AM

Anita Bryant is the spiritual mother to the Religious Right movement. Sigh, if only they believed in abortion.

by Anonymousreply 14January 26, 2023 11:55 AM

I would be interested in this movie only if it displayed Bryant as exactly what she is, a con artist and crook. That bitch was on the run from city to city for decades. She'd move in, run some sort of money making scam, and then flee when the scam fails, owing everyone in town. Then she files for bankruptcy to get out of all the bills she left behind. She finally ended up back in her home state of Oklahoma and has been relatively quiet for a while, I guess because she's too damn old to keep the grift up. I'd love to know if she ever paid all the back taxes she owed. It was well over $100,000.00 at one point.

She should be in prison.

by Anonymousreply 15January 26, 2023 11:56 AM

[quote]this commandment she didn't understand: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'

Is this the eleventh commandment?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 26, 2023 12:33 PM

Who's playing the pie-thrower?

by Anonymousreply 17January 26, 2023 12:52 PM

Any links to her con activities?

by Anonymousreply 18January 26, 2023 12:56 PM

No, fool @ r6

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 26, 2023 1:29 PM

^^ r16

by Anonymousreply 20January 26, 2023 1:29 PM

That's my concern as well, R15. In today's climate I'm afraid Anita will be portrayed as a hero and a visionary, and the right wing will be energized by her story. Or it might be one of those "both sides have a point" treatments. Yuck.

One small consolation: once Ashley starts making the talk show rounds talking about how loving and misunderstood Anita was, she's bound to get a pie in the face herself

by Anonymousreply 21January 26, 2023 3:02 PM

Aroldis Chapman would get my vote, R17.

by Anonymousreply 22January 26, 2023 4:45 PM

Ashley Judd as Anita Bryant? I'll watch!

by Anonymousreply 23January 26, 2023 5:19 PM

Anita's granddaughter is bisexual and is marrying a woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 26, 2023 7:03 PM

I'm wondering why Ashley wants to align herself to such a portayal. Isn't her family supposedly rumored to have some LGBTQ members (cough! Mama! cough! Wynonna) and perhaps herself?

What's wrong with all these Judds?

by Anonymousreply 25January 26, 2023 7:16 PM

So, Jesus claims his two commandments are more important that his father's ten?

I'll stick with daddy's. Hard pass on Junior's.

by Anonymousreply 26January 26, 2023 8:47 PM

Who in the FUCK would want to see a movie starring Botoxed/face-fillered tragedy Ashley Judd as ancient long-obscure Anita Bryant?

by Anonymousreply 27January 26, 2023 9:00 PM

I guess it takes a has-been to play a has-been.

by Anonymousreply 28January 26, 2023 9:05 PM

Whom do we see in the role of the pie?

by Anonymousreply 29January 26, 2023 9:11 PM

At least it's a fruit pie.

by Anonymousreply 30January 26, 2023 9:14 PM

[quote] I'm wondering why Ashley wants to align herself to such a portayal. Isn't her family supposedly rumored to have some LGBTQ members (cough! Mama! cough! Wynonna) and perhaps herself?

You’re an idiot. It’s called acting, dumbass. Do you say this about actors who play serial killers?

by Anonymousreply 31January 26, 2023 9:36 PM

Serial killers (usually) have no political agenda.

by Anonymousreply 32January 26, 2023 9:52 PM

Ashley Judd got a raw deal and was blackballed by Harvey W.

Her acting can actually be quite passable. Double Jeopardy is a great popcorn flick.

Her recent face work is a failure but it could settle. It can take a year or more. Currently she resembles a shiny Asian.

Given her genetics it's a miracle she's functional.

I posted about wanting Anita exposed as the grifter and fraud she actually is. I think Ashley could pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 33January 26, 2023 9:58 PM

Why is anyone assuming this will be a tribute to Anita? It's entirely likely to be anything but a right wing screed. Mrs. America did a pretty decent job of portraying Phyllis Schlafly without trumpeting nor demonizing her, they just laid it out and let you see her failures and foibles for yourself. Cate Blanchett was, as usual, amazing.

by Anonymousreply 34January 26, 2023 10:11 PM

[quote] Serial killers (usually) have no political agenda.

So no one should portray Adolf Hitler for a film about the Holocaust. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 35January 26, 2023 10:17 PM

R31 choices actors make often come to bite them in the ass. Acting in a role that's anti-LGBTQ, if portrayed as sympathetic to that stance, would make me question the actor's motives for taking the role. Do they agree with being anti-LGBTQ? I haven't read the screenplay, so I'm not sure how AB is portrayed. Still, I'm not sure if you know how to add. Perhaps you should look in the mirror when calling someone a dumbass.

R35 nice example of Godwin's law

by Anonymousreply 36January 26, 2023 10:20 PM

People will want to see Ashley get a pie in the face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 26, 2023 10:25 PM

Actually, people will be waiting for that moment from the very minute this film begins, r37.

by Anonymousreply 38January 26, 2023 10:30 PM

I hope they let AJ lip sync to Anita's unforgettable Tupperware Jubilee performance of Blues in the Night (at 23:20). Just before that, the video shows the rare male Tupperware dealer receiving flowers and a tiara to recognize his outstanding sales achievements. I wonder if Anita suspected he might be gay and tried to rain on his parade by swiping the tiara...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 26, 2023 10:43 PM

[quote] Ashley Judd is Anita Bryant

An ugly woman playing an ugly woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 26, 2023 11:07 PM

All the eldergays living in Ft. Lauderdale were chased out of Miami Beach by Anita.

by Anonymousreply 41January 26, 2023 11:10 PM

[quote] Acting in a role that's anti-LGBTQ, if portrayed as sympathetic to that stance, would make me question the actor's motives for taking the role. Do they agree with being anti-LGBTQ?

This is the annoying Irishwoman who wrecked this movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 26, 2023 11:14 PM

I heard Wynonna was playing Anita Bryant.

by Anonymousreply 43January 26, 2023 11:24 PM

I’ve always believed that Anita Bryant is an angry closet case.

by Anonymousreply 44January 26, 2023 11:47 PM

I have heard rumors about Wynonna but Naomi? Really?

by Anonymousreply 45January 26, 2023 11:53 PM

[quote] Acting in a role that's anti-LGBTQ, if portrayed as sympathetic to that stance, would make me question the actor's motives for taking the role. Do they agree with being anti-LGBTQ?

LGBTQLMNOP. What are your pronouns, dear? We know you’re just dying to tell us.

by Anonymousreply 46January 27, 2023 12:51 AM

[quote] I’ve always believed that Anita Bryant is an angry closet case.

She gives off a dyke vibe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 27, 2023 12:53 AM

Uma was suppose to play her a decade ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 27, 2023 12:54 AM

I can't think of worse casting for Anita Bryant than Uma Thurman. Well, maybe Beanie Feldstein....

by Anonymousreply 49January 27, 2023 12:59 AM

She was the punchline in more than a few Match Game ‘77 questions.

E.g., Count Dracula said, “I was low in Vitamin C, so I drank the blood of BLANK.”

Best match, Anita Bryant.

And she was a nasty bitch.

by Anonymousreply 50January 27, 2023 1:04 AM

Wasn't there a Golden Girls joke about her?

by Anonymousreply 51January 27, 2023 1:06 AM

Who is the target market for this movie?

Angry gays or pompous heterosexuals?

Why should I spend money on someone I didn't like?

by Anonymousreply 52January 27, 2023 1:08 AM

Golden Girls scene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 27, 2023 1:10 AM

This tedious movie was about a woman that half of Britain loathed.

The resulting movie was so bland, diluted and off-topic that it barely mentioned that she was a politician that led the nation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 27, 2023 1:11 AM

“As a gay man and a writer who likes to explore complex, messy characters, I’ve always thought about Anita Bryant,” Chad Hodge said. “How could this celebrity who espoused Christian goodness and orange juice through song suddenly use those platforms to go on a nationwide anti-gay crusade and overturn gay rights laws? I wanted to find out who Anita was, who the people around her were, and what everybody wanted out of this.”

He added that the story has a contemporary resonance and “holds up a mirror, and a warning, to our current society.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 27, 2023 1:12 AM

She’s first mentioned briefly in the “Big Daddy’s Little Lady” episode of season 2 after Dorothy and Rose come in second place with their beloved “Miami Is Nice” jingle.

Blanche: Oh, hello there! How’d you do? Rose: We came in second. Blanche: Oh, that’s terrific! What’d you get? Dorothy: Treated badly. They told us to get out of the way when they took the winner’s picture with Anita Bryant.

by Anonymousreply 56January 27, 2023 1:12 AM

The second reference to Bryant, from season 4, in the “Sophia’s Wedding: Part 1” episode, is the more memorable of the two.

The caterer’s mannerisms and his initial crack about his mother overlooking his own marriage code him as gay, which sets the scene for the line in question. The character is definitely a stereotypical depiction, but it makes sense here. At the end, he first references the 1958 film, I Want to Live!, starring Susan Hayward, which revolves around the story of a sex worker convicted of murder. When Blanche says that he’s “ready to fly right outta here,” his “Well, excuse me for living, Anita Bryant!” retort becomes the punchline of the scene. This exchange humorously illustrates why Bryant was so reviled along with drawing attention to changing attitudes towards the LGBTQ community in society and popular culture.

by Anonymousreply 57January 27, 2023 1:14 AM

In what universe is Hollywood going to make a movie sympathetic to Anita Bryant’s antigay crusade? Even she admits she was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 58January 27, 2023 1:36 AM

[Quote] In what universe is Hollywood going to make a movie sympathetic to Anita Bryant’s antigay crusade? Even she admits she was wrong.

The same one in which former marquee name Dennis Quaid stars in Christian movies and once popular TV actor Kelsey Grammar does the same. Ashley Judd is not exactly Julia Roberts so making a movie redrawing Bryant as a heroine with an unpopular opinion, especially in the age of Don't Say Gay and Drag Queens Are the Enemy, is not an incredible idea.

by Anonymousreply 59January 27, 2023 2:23 AM

I've been cast as Jerry Falwell.

by Anonymousreply 60January 27, 2023 3:52 AM

[quote]so making a movie redrawing Bryant as a heroine with an unpopular opinion

Is that what they're doing, r59?

by Anonymousreply 61January 27, 2023 3:57 AM

Actors say they love to play flawed characters but they really love to play warriors.

by Anonymousreply 62January 27, 2023 3:59 AM

Actors say they love to play flawed characters just like they like playing blind or crippled characters as a sure path to an Oscar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 27, 2023 4:32 AM

They made a movie about Phyllis Schlafly, R34?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 27, 2023 7:49 PM

Who will play her muff-diving granddaughter?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 27, 2023 8:48 PM

Anita Bryant never admitted she was wrong, as of 1990. She "doesn't regret it and did the right thing."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66January 27, 2023 9:41 PM

R64 - Yes, Mrs. America. It's a limited series on Hulu about the struggle (and failure) to pass the ERA amendment. Stellar and wonderful cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67January 27, 2023 9:48 PM

[quote]Is there ANY job Neil Patrick Harris will turn down?

He'd better fucking not.

by Anonymousreply 68January 27, 2023 9:51 PM

I suspect she was also really bitter that she lost Miss America to Mary Ann Mobley.

by Anonymousreply 69January 27, 2023 10:03 PM

R63 - is going Full-MAGA the new going Full-Retard?

by Anonymousreply 70January 27, 2023 10:38 PM

Ashley Judd only makes duds.

by Anonymousreply 71January 27, 2023 11:07 PM

R1 asks a great question. Of all the causes she could have fought for why the crusade against homosexuality? It seemed personal for her or maybe it was for attention.

by Anonymousreply 72January 28, 2023 12:10 AM

Maybe she doesn’t have a lot of job offers since she looks weird and has a reputation for being annoying.

by Anonymousreply 73January 28, 2023 12:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!