Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Superstar actors able to put asses in seats who never did Shaw or Chekhov ON STAGE. STAGE!!

NOT MOVIES. NOT THE GOLDEN AGE of 50/60s American Television. On Stage. Where it counts. They could have done Shaw and Chekhov while they were soda jerks at Ho-Jos, or roller skating waitress chicks at Bob's Big Boy, but that's when they were no bodies. I'm talking superstar status! Here's a few: Chris Plummer. Alec Guinness, Meryl Streep, John Barrymore, Angela Landsbury, Jason Robards, Spencer Tracy, Frederick March, Dustin Hoffman, Al Pacino, Tallulah Bankhead.....At least Marlon and Monty did. Kudos to them....More? What about Agnes Morehead

by Anonymousreply 11January 26, 2023 7:51 PM

I'm surprised Angela Lansbury didn't do Shaw, but I'm not seeing a role jump out at me. She wasn't really pretty enough for Candida, and was too busy in Hollywood when she might have played Eliza in Pygmalion. Hmmm? Kitty Warren in Mrs. Warren's Profession, maybe?

Although not Shaw or Chekhov, she would have likely been a very good Queen Margaret in Richard III. Maybe not as good as Marian Seldes, but still good.

by Anonymousreply 1January 26, 2023 6:14 AM

Billy Eichner!

by Anonymousreply 2January 26, 2023 6:18 AM

One of Streep’s first jobs was in “The Cherry Orchard” for the Public Theater. And she later did “The Seagull” for them in Central Park.

Maybe I don’t understand the question.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 26, 2023 6:50 AM

R3....You didn't misunderstand the question. I got it wrong.

by Anonymousreply 4January 26, 2023 3:32 PM

Plummer did a Shaw play:

In 2009 and 2010, Plummer was in two Stratford Festival plays of Shaw's Caesar and Cleopatra and William Shakespeare's The Tempest.

by Anonymousreply 5January 26, 2023 5:53 PM

Alec Guinness performed in plays by both Chekhov and Shaw. He did The Three Sisters at the Queen's Theater in 1938, and performed in Saint Joan at the Palace Theater in 1940.

by Anonymousreply 6January 26, 2023 6:05 PM

Agnes Moorehead as Dona Ana in a recording of an acclaimed theatrical production. Lots of good still photos are included in the video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 26, 2023 7:17 PM

R6......Alec Guinness could NOT put asses in seats in 1938 or 1940. Read the read.

by Anonymousreply 8January 26, 2023 7:18 PM

Will Don Juan's never cease? Thanks for tip R7

by Anonymousreply 9January 26, 2023 7:22 PM

OP, your post is so terribly written -- the overwrought references, the sentence fragments, the multiple misspellings -- that the problem isn't my answer. It's your post.

by Anonymousreply 10January 26, 2023 7:26 PM

R6...So sorry to your ruin your precious time, John Simon

by Anonymousreply 11January 26, 2023 7:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!