Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New Yorkers from the old days, did you ever have a Greta Garbo sighting?

Apparently it was a momentous occasion when you saw her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 26, 2023 5:44 PM

Charles Busch story from 3.40.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 26, 2023 3:12 AM

I had a Tina Louise sighting in the 90s OP - does that count?

by Anonymousreply 2January 26, 2023 3:23 AM

Yeah. She talked.

by Anonymousreply 3January 26, 2023 3:46 AM

No, but I looked and looked whenever I was near her neighborhood.

While on the East Side is did spot an elderly Jack Dempsey, who in his prime was one of the most famous New Yorkers. He was shuffling down Third Avenue with a nurse, or aide walking with him.

by Anonymousreply 4January 26, 2023 6:24 AM

The start of the video in the R1 post has footage of her walking the streets.

by Anonymousreply 5January 26, 2023 7:33 AM

[quote]Yeah. She talked.

But did she laugh?

by Anonymousreply 6January 26, 2023 8:04 AM

A Scandinavian woman (Swedish) to true form once she retired.

by Anonymousreply 7January 26, 2023 8:10 AM

She sat next to me at Cats. I have told this story many times here.

by Anonymousreply 8January 26, 2023 10:04 AM

It only hurt when she laughed, R6

by Anonymousreply 9January 26, 2023 11:30 AM

The fascination with this woman is completely lost on me. She seems so boring. Didn't she stalk Barbra early in her career? Now we're getting interesting!

by Anonymousreply 10January 26, 2023 11:40 AM

The film 'Garbo Talks' is about this very subject.

by Anonymousreply 11January 26, 2023 12:37 PM

Glimpsed her once on West 57th Street in ‘79 or ‘80. There was a sort of antique shop (there were some junky, out-of-the-way shops and restaurants on 57th Street then — hard to believe now) and she was looking into the window at the antiques in the window. I had been at a meeting with colleagues held on the east side, blocks from our office. Walking back to work in the afternoon a colleague elbowed me, saying “Garbo!” and jerked his head in her direction and it was indeed she: tall, spare and non-descript. But yes, it was a rite of passage of sorts and gave you a brief anecdote to tell people.

by Anonymousreply 12January 26, 2023 12:47 PM

A friend of mine worked in a small East Side clothing shop in the late '70s. Garbo popped in one day and bought something, and my friend waited on her. She paid with an American Express card, imprinted with her name, Greta Garbo. When my friend told me the story, I thought how perfect Garbo would be for one of those American Express "Do you know me?" commercials that were popular at the time.

by Anonymousreply 13January 26, 2023 5:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!