Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Justin Bieber sells music catalog

Justin Bieber finalized the sale of his music catalog to Hipgnosis on Tuesday, placing most of his music under the ownership of the U.K. investment firm.

The big picture: John Legend and Bruce Springsteen are among the high-profile music artists to have sold their music catalogs in recent days, but Bieber, 28, reportedly has secured the biggest sale of anyone in his generation.

Details: Hipgnosis acquired all of Bieber's interest in his publishing copyrights, master recordings and neighboring rights for his entire back catalog, which comprises over 290 titles released before Dec. 31, 2021.

The financial terms were not disclosed but the deal is valued at an estimated $200 million, which is Hipgnosis' biggest acquisition to date, per multiple reports. What they're saying: "This acquisition ranks among the biggest deals ever made for an artist under the age of 70, such is the power of this incredible catalogue that has almost 82 million monthly listeners and over 30 billion streams on Spotify alone," Hipgnosis Song Management founder and CEO Merck Mercuriadis said in a statement.

Bieber's longtime manager Scooter Braun said in a statement, "Justin is truly a once in a generation artist and that is reflected and acknowledged by the magnitude of this deal."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 28, 2023 12:26 AM

Can anyone explain what the purpose of this type of deal is? I'm a musician and believe music is an ephemeral, spiritual experience, so the idea of a foreign investment firm purchasing an artist's entire catalog is kind of disgusting.

Money aside, what's the point?

by Anonymousreply 1January 25, 2023 6:16 AM

Commercials. Right before the Super Bowl, no less…

by Anonymousreply 2January 25, 2023 6:18 AM

I don’t know any Bieber songs

by Anonymousreply 3January 25, 2023 6:26 AM

R1, there’s no point other than the money. The artist monetizes his catalogue while the buyer has a future income stream it can increase through marketing, tie ins, commercials and products.

by Anonymousreply 4January 25, 2023 6:34 AM

I would think they'd want to hold onto their publishing. Isn't that one reason that MJ was so rich for so long? He bought the Beatles' rights or something?

But maybe it's too big a hassle or they feel they can make more money investing the new wealth in something else.

I still can't believe Bieber is as big as he is. Of all the pop stars to get big, stay big, and then get even bigger? Never thought it'd be him in 2011.

by Anonymousreply 5January 25, 2023 6:46 AM

It’s stupid for an artist as young as Bieber to sell his catalog.

Artists bitch and moan how record labels give them no rights (to music labels fund and pay for) and then they sell off all their rights the first opportunity they get!

by Anonymousreply 6January 25, 2023 7:14 AM

It has to do with taxes, investment and financial planning, and how artists are paid for music nowadays. The metrics of how popular music is, or not are more granular than ever before than any era. In the past, you only bought a CD or record once. Today we keep paying for them.

Bieber is the face of his generation and more bankable than other artists of his time, especially as we all get older.

Also, I believe accountants recently found a way to get around paying taxes that makes up front payments look a lot better. They have Trump to thank for that!

by Anonymousreply 7January 25, 2023 7:29 AM

I assume this has something to do with his health issues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 25, 2023 4:33 PM

[quote] Money aside, what's the point?

Money is the only point.

by Anonymousreply 9January 25, 2023 5:12 PM

He and wifey and their hangers on will blow this on drugs and alcohol by the end of the year.

by Anonymousreply 10January 25, 2023 5:28 PM

[quote]But maybe it's too big a hassle or they feel they can make more money investing the new wealth in something else.

I mean ...

Say after taxes, fees, agent's cut, he gets $100M. At a 4% return (low end) he could spend $3M a year and never run out of money.

If he's smart he'd just retire.

by Anonymousreply 11January 25, 2023 5:42 PM

But he’s not, Blanche! He’s not smart!

by Anonymousreply 12January 25, 2023 6:09 PM

It seems unusual for a young person to sell their catalog.

Yes, it's all about money. Also, I'm thinking, maybe an artist / seller just doesn't want to be that involved with licensing, which seems tedious.

For the buyer, it's a calculated gamble. Will their $200 million investment be worth it?

I'm not familiar with JB's music, but if I were in his shoes (his age), I think I'd hold on to my rights.

by Anonymousreply 13January 25, 2023 6:22 PM

Maybe he wants to quit the biz?

by Anonymousreply 14January 25, 2023 6:31 PM

I couldn’t name a Bieber song if you held a gun to my head.

by Anonymousreply 15January 25, 2023 6:43 PM

r15 people who have actual good musical taste can't name a Bieber song.

by Anonymousreply 16January 25, 2023 9:01 PM

R13 You run into a lot of issues when others own your publishing.

That’s why if you go on music streaming services like Spotify and Apple, some old songs, especially one hit wonders, are re-recorded versions because the artist didn’t have any rights to the original. Probably because they sold it off.

Like Andrea True re-recorded “More More More” and Gloria Gaynor re-recorded “I Will Survive” among others.

I know TLC recently did this and they did it because the guy who owns their publishing to their first album refused to let them perform it.

So lots of issues.

by Anonymousreply 17January 25, 2023 10:09 PM

[quote] I'm a musician and believe music is an ephemeral, spiritual experience,

You can't feed yourself or pay the rent with ephemeral spirituality.

by Anonymousreply 18January 25, 2023 10:10 PM

[quote]But he’s not, Blanche! He’s not smart!

THIS.

by Anonymousreply 19January 25, 2023 10:17 PM

He wants quick cash, that he's going to blow on shit like drugs and cars and sketchy business investments. He'll be bankrupt within five years.

by Anonymousreply 20January 25, 2023 10:19 PM

He seems like he can barely tolerate his wife, he just seems like a spoiled brat. Better save that money.

by Anonymousreply 21January 25, 2023 10:41 PM

[quote] That’s why if you go on music streaming services like Spotify and Apple, some old songs, especially one hit wonders, are re-recorded versions because the artist didn’t have any rights to the original.

I noticed that, on Amazon Music, and even on iTunes (for purchase), it's different versions of old songs. I'd rather hear the originally-released versions. That said, a couple of times, the new versions did sound better.

by Anonymousreply 22January 25, 2023 10:44 PM

R5 He’s literally the female Britney. They’re nostalgic to the generation who grew up with them and they mental illnesses make their fans stick by them and root for them.

They’re both people in arrested development because they’re child stars who’ve never done anything beyond performing.

I doubt either of them would know how to write out a check.

by Anonymousreply 23January 25, 2023 11:05 PM

A lot of this money will be taken by that "church" he belongs to.

by Anonymousreply 24January 25, 2023 11:19 PM

His music isn't timeless so this is probably a good decision.

by Anonymousreply 25January 25, 2023 11:24 PM

It’s stupid for an artist as young as Bieber to sell his catalog.

Because he needs more than $200,000,000?

by Anonymousreply 26January 25, 2023 11:32 PM

He’ll spend it all on down low, Black hustlers. Sign me up!

by Anonymousreply 27January 25, 2023 11:32 PM

His wife will divorce him as soon as he gets that $200 million.

by Anonymousreply 28January 25, 2023 11:39 PM

He'll have a new career as a "pastor" and build his own mega-church. A new religious cult led by this tatted up punk-kid and his religious nutter/scammer pals and $200,000,000.

What could possibly go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 29January 25, 2023 11:45 PM

He knows he's past his expiration date career-wise. It was a good move to cash in while he still can.

by Anonymousreply 30January 25, 2023 11:49 PM

Call me when he starts to sell his unnerbritches.

by Anonymousreply 31January 25, 2023 11:53 PM

I'm stunned that his "catalog" sold for $200mm.

Based on the way valuations for catalogs are done, I can't believe it makes that much money. Has his music ever been used in anything or any soundtrack? Does it even get played anywhere or make money on spotify?

Bieber will be a small footnote in music history whose music will be largely forgotten within the next 20 years. He'll be lucky if he's headlining in Vegas lounges in 20 years. I hope he invests wisely.

by Anonymousreply 32January 26, 2023 12:17 AM

R32 I don't understand posts like this. He just netted 280 million dollars in one day. His net worth before this was estimated at 400 million. He doesn't need to invest wisely, he can afford to invest recklessly, or not at all. Why would he ever need to headline in a lounge in Vegas?

And by the way, Bieber was an original investor in Spotify, has over 69 million monthly listeners, and some of his songs have 1 or 2 billion streams on Spotify alone.

by Anonymousreply 33January 26, 2023 12:36 AM

R32 I'm not. He actually had some pretty big hits and 200 mil isn't much these days when they're giving that to football players like nothing still wet behind the ears.

by Anonymousreply 34January 26, 2023 12:37 AM

Seeing artists do this makes me panic even more about the future. I swear the wealthiest in society know what's up. They're cashing out and hoarding money for a reason, buying up land, water rights, buying places in remote areas, etc. It's not like act of the artists selling they catalogues are washed up yet. It's like they know shit will hit the fan in the next 20 - 30 years and rather have the money now.

by Anonymousreply 35January 26, 2023 12:40 AM

[quote][R32] I don't understand posts like this. He just netted 280 million dollars in one day. His net worth before this was estimated at 400 million. He doesn't need to invest wisely, he can afford to invest recklessly, or not at all. Why would he ever need to headline in a lounge in Vegas?

Stories of celebrities pissing away hundreds of millions are legion: Mike Tyson, Michael Jackson, Nicholas Cage, 50 cent - the list goes on and on. Elton John has earned, pissed away, then earned a fortune. We're in the middle of watching Britney Spears do it right now. Johnny Depp has also pissed away a huge chunk of his money.

by Anonymousreply 36January 26, 2023 12:43 AM

Never underestimate the pissing away a fortune power of dumb celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 37January 26, 2023 12:46 AM

[quote] I don’t know any Bieber songs

[quote] I couldn’t name a Bieber song if you held a gun to my head.

The “Baby” singer.

I only know the name of that song because the press refers to him as “The ‘Baby’ singer.”

by Anonymousreply 38January 26, 2023 12:46 AM

R38, that's the only song of the Beebs that I could identify too.

I've never been his demographic.

by Anonymousreply 39January 26, 2023 12:48 AM

[quote]The “Baby” singer.

[quote]I only know the name of that song because the press refers to him as “The ‘Baby’ singer.”

LOL - even with this, I still couldn't name a song - is "Baby" the name of the song?

by Anonymousreply 40January 26, 2023 12:51 AM

R36 Except the poster wasn't suggesting Bieber would be poor and unsuccessful some day because he was going to piss his money away. It was about how he's not very successful , which is bullshit. "Has his music ever been used in anything or any soundtrack? Does it even get played anywhere or make money on spotify?" Total bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 41January 26, 2023 12:51 AM

You doofuses can't name I Don't Care, What Do You Mean, Despacito, Peaches, Sorry, Boyfriend...? I don't even like Bieber, but come on.

by Anonymousreply 42January 26, 2023 12:58 AM

[quote] is "Baby" the name of the song?

Yes. I don’t know any of the songs R42 listed.

by Anonymousreply 43January 26, 2023 12:59 AM

[quote]Stories of celebrities pissing away hundreds of millions are legion:

Why y’all over here lookin at me?

by Anonymousreply 44January 26, 2023 1:24 AM

R43 Which means you probably don't listen to pop radio, or watch pop artists' performances on music award shows. So it doesn't really mean anything that you don't know the songs. Why would you? You probably haven't heard of a lot of other current pop songs, either.

by Anonymousreply 45January 26, 2023 1:35 AM

[quote] LOL - even with this, I still couldn't name a song - is "Baby" the name of the song?

I think so, R40. Yes, according to the google that is the name of the song.

A sample of the lyrics:

Oh-ooh-whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh

Oh-ooh-whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh

Oh-ooh-whoa-oh, oh-oh-oh-oh

You know you love me (yo),

I know you care (uh-huh)

Just shout whenever (yo),

and I'll be there (uh-huh)

You are my love (yo),

you are my heart (uh-huh)

And we will never, ever, ever be apart (yo, uh-huh)

Are we an item? (Yo) girl, quit playin' (uh-huh)

"We're just friends" (yo), what are you sayin'? (Uh-huh)

Said, "There's another" (yo), and looked right in my eyes (uh-huh)

My first love broke my heart for the first time, and I was like (yo, uh-huh)

"Baby, baby, baby, oh"

Like, "Baby, baby, baby, no"

Like, "Baby, baby, baby, oh"

I thought you'd always be mine, mine

"Baby, baby, baby, oh"

Like, "Baby, baby, baby, no"

Like, "Baby, baby, baby, oh"

I thought you'd always be mine, mine

by Anonymousreply 46January 26, 2023 1:46 AM

R46, I take it he composed those brilliant lyrics himself.

by Anonymousreply 47January 26, 2023 1:48 AM

Probably not, R47, but he did get a songwriter's credit for it.

[quote] Songwriters: Justin Bieber / Christopher Stewart / Terius Nash / Christine Flores / Christopher Bridges

by Anonymousreply 48January 26, 2023 1:53 AM

$200 million for the rights to his entire music catalogue seems quite low-ball doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 49January 26, 2023 1:57 AM

The "Baby" song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 26, 2023 2:02 AM

[quote] Justin Bieber has sold his 15-year music catalogue for a reported $200 million.

[quote] The ‘Baby’ singer, 28, has followed in the footsteps of artists including Bob Dylan, Mick Fleetwood, Neil Young, Sting and Blondie singer Debbie Harry, who have sold interests in their music for fortunes in the last three years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 26, 2023 2:08 AM

[quote] Judge Judy Claims Her Former Neighbor Justin Bieber Was 'Scared To Death' Of Her

[quote] She had previously spoken about the 'Baby' singer's behavior after he was arrested for a DUI and was charged in two other court cases in 2014.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 26, 2023 2:09 AM

[quote] Justin Bieber To Perform Private Gig For Beckhams’ Baby

[quote] "David tells me my records are always played in their household," the 'Baby' singer told Closer magazine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 26, 2023 2:10 AM

I'd like to see Judge Judy stare down Bieber and tear him a new one.

by Anonymousreply 54January 26, 2023 2:14 AM

Me too R54. I would pay to see it.

by Anonymousreply 55January 26, 2023 2:15 AM

[quote] Not So Good To Best Songs Of The Baby Singer Justin Bieber

[quote] Check out the amazing songs list of the Canadian Singer Justin Bieber!!!

by Anonymousreply 56January 26, 2023 2:16 AM

The jealousy here is palpable. A 28 year old guy who can sell something he owns for 200 x 1 million dollars. What would you do with 200 million dollars?

by Anonymousreply 57January 26, 2023 3:56 AM

R51 All of those artists are over 70 years old. They’re selling off their publishing for big bucks to spend their last years comfortably.

Justin isn’t even 30.

by Anonymousreply 58January 26, 2023 4:10 AM

200 million is a lot but celebrities can blow through it, especially someone unstable like Bieber. Look at Britney and Whitney. They had 200-400 million and Whitney died with $20 million and I think Britney has $70 million. It’s still a lot of money but they can blow through millions like nobody’s business.

Without that back catalog, Justin is going to have to pray his peak years aren’t over lol.

by Anonymousreply 59January 26, 2023 4:14 AM

[quote] His music isn't timeless so this is probably a good decision.

Agreed

by Anonymousreply 60January 26, 2023 4:19 AM

[quote] It's like they know shit will hit the fan in the next 20 - 30 years and rather have the money now.

Justin Bieber doesn't have another 20 - 30 years. His plans for the money are more immediate.

by Anonymousreply 61January 26, 2023 4:22 AM

Does he still have Bells-Palsey?

by Anonymousreply 62January 26, 2023 4:32 AM

R60 Meh we thought 90’s Pop wasn’t going to be timeless either, now they sing “I Want It That Way” at baseball games and shit.

by Anonymousreply 63January 26, 2023 4:39 AM

He seems sickly anyway and will probably die young, so he wants to start blowing through money now. Think Lisa Marie Presley.

by Anonymousreply 64January 26, 2023 7:02 AM

R5, I'm guessing keeping ownership of one's catalogue doesn't reap the monetary profits it once did because no one is buying albums or even digital songs on iTunes anymore. The artist has this huge profitable catalogue of hit songs with nothing to do with it. Well, investment firms, huge corporations can buy said catalogue at huge prices and use them for films, commercials, advertisement and not have to constantly work on contractual agreements to lease, which in the end is more costly.

Streaming, as popular as it is, just isn't as lucrative for the artist/label as hard sells. Most of that money is going to the streaming service.

by Anonymousreply 65January 26, 2023 8:02 AM

[quote]Seeing artists do this makes me panic even more about the future. I swear the wealthiest in society know what's up. They're cashing out and hoarding money for a reason

So lottery winners, who mostly take the lump sum instead of the annuity, also know "what's up"? Or is it what we are taught in Economics that a dollar today is worth more than a dollar in the future? I suppose basic economics are not as interesting as doomsday predictions.

by Anonymousreply 66January 26, 2023 8:12 AM

[quote]He'll be bankrupt within five years.

Those hideous tats indicate he won't be alive in five years.

by Anonymousreply 67January 26, 2023 8:13 AM

The old artists were never going to have another hit in their life. Bieber can still create a whole new catalog of hits.

by Anonymousreply 68January 26, 2023 8:14 AM

Only 200 million? Sad.

by Anonymousreply 69January 26, 2023 11:43 AM

[quote][R36] Except the poster wasn't suggesting Bieber would be poor and unsuccessful some day because he was going to piss his money away. It was about how he's not very successful , which is bullshit. "Has his music ever been used in anything or any soundtrack? Does it even get played anywhere or make money on spotify?" Total bullshit.

You really need to learn how to read.

I was not suggesting he wasn't very successful. I was stating that catalog valuations are based on expected future cash flows from the music. While he was successful at the time, his back catalog is unlikely to continue to generate huge amounts of money.

Therefore, since many celebrities have lost huge fortunes and he's still rather young, he cannot afford to piss away his money and should invest wisely.

by Anonymousreply 70January 26, 2023 1:01 PM

R66 No it isn't, and neither is your post.

by Anonymousreply 71January 27, 2023 7:58 AM

[quote]You really need to learn how to read.

R70 After this, I didn't continue reading your post, so you wasted your time typing it.

by Anonymousreply 72January 27, 2023 8:01 AM

Does he still put out hits? Or is it mostly trainwreck value these days?

by Anonymousreply 73January 27, 2023 12:49 PM

[quote][R70] After this, I didn't continue reading your post, so you wasted your time typing it.

Thusly explaining why your comments are so incoherent and off the mark.

by Anonymousreply 74January 27, 2023 1:29 PM

What songs? What catalogue? WHO???????

by Anonymousreply 75January 27, 2023 2:07 PM

His best-charting songs are ones where he “collaborates” with a rapper.

by Anonymousreply 76January 27, 2023 2:27 PM

Justin Timberlake did this. And so did Bob Dylan. But the difference here is Bieber is still very young and very popular. Timberlake and Dylan made all the money they possibly could and both are songwriters so got a lot of royalties. I don't think Biebs writes his songs and again he's too young to be doing this. Something's up.

by Anonymousreply 77January 27, 2023 9:23 PM

[quote]I don't think Biebs writes his songs and again he's too young to be doing this. Something's up.

Obviously he's dying.

by Anonymousreply 78January 28, 2023 12:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!