Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Most Hated Frasier Characters

Who are your least favorite characters from Frasier? Mine are Donny, Mel, Charlotte the matchmaker, Ann the insurance woman, and Ronnie the old babysitter.

by Anonymousreply 58January 27, 2023 2:00 AM

One of my least favorite characters was Daphne, because the Brit accent of that actress always sounded so studied, fake, and exaggerated to me, even though I assume it was authentic.

by Anonymousreply 1January 25, 2023 2:37 AM

Daphne's fucking mother.

by Anonymousreply 2January 25, 2023 2:43 AM

The title character himself. The rest were lovely.

by Anonymousreply 3January 25, 2023 2:46 AM

R1 I also noticed how the accent changed to be more posh at the end of season 10 and all of 11. The character also started acting haughty and upper class at this time too. Chalk it up to marrying rich I guess.

by Anonymousreply 4January 25, 2023 2:48 AM

R2 I found Daphnes whole family rather intolerable except her father. Probably because he was played by Brian Cox and his appearance was mercifully brief.

by Anonymousreply 5January 25, 2023 2:50 AM

Kirby (that kid he started tutoring in the final few seasons) and any of the Moon family other than Daphnie.

by Anonymousreply 6January 25, 2023 2:50 AM

I thought Bulldog was dull and never funny. I was glad when they ditched him.

by Anonymousreply 7January 25, 2023 2:51 AM

The one arrogant, obnoxious girlfriend played by Felicity Huffman. I think it was in her last episode that they teased the idea of Niles, Daphne and Martin being willing to let her choke to death. A shame they didn't follow through (even if that's more at home on Seinfeld).

by Anonymousreply 8January 25, 2023 2:53 AM

r1 It was a Brit doing a fake Brit accent Jane Leeves sounds nothing like that, and neither do Mancunians. Rather funnily John Mahoney who was from the North of England actually managed a pretty good Manchester accent in one scene when he was making fun of Daphne.

by Anonymousreply 9January 25, 2023 2:57 AM

R8 In that same episode Frasier was madly in love with her until she commented that his hand towels looked like a couple of old ladies lived there.

by Anonymousreply 10January 25, 2023 2:58 AM

I dislike most of Frasier’s one-off girlfriends. He dated a lot of bitches.

by Anonymousreply 11January 25, 2023 3:04 AM

I agree with the poster that Daphne's mother was a pain. Her dad (Cox) and brother (LaPaglia) were great!

by Anonymousreply 12January 25, 2023 3:09 AM

I actually disliked Frasier the most out of the entire show

by Anonymousreply 13January 25, 2023 3:10 AM

Don't, r2, just...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 25, 2023 3:11 AM

all except Lilith but I could tolerate Noel, Alistair and Eddie

by Anonymousreply 15January 25, 2023 3:12 AM

Definitely Mel. No redeeming qualities whatsoever!

by Anonymousreply 16January 25, 2023 3:12 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 25, 2023 3:15 AM

Donnie. What a horrible choice to partner with Daphne. I didn't like her much, either. She always seemed irritated and kind of bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 18January 25, 2023 3:24 AM

The Frasier character was for the most part insufferable. And I never understood why the producers let him have that ridiculous haircut in the first few seasons. It was clear he was balding, and badly. He desperately needed a good stylist.

I agree with a previous poster that most of his girlfriends were terrible, but especially the one played by Felicity Huffman.

I actually liked Dan Butler as Bulldog. Especially in the episode when he was shirtless. So, sue me!

And, yeah, the character of Mel was off-putting. They should have ditched her much sooner.

by Anonymousreply 19January 25, 2023 3:26 AM

Donnie was the worst. That crooked fucked-up mouth. What had Jane Leeves done to piss off the producers/writers? Yes, the entire Moon clan was the worst. Possible exception: Richard E. Grant.

Strangely enough, I had a dream last night in which I was engaged to marry Kelsey Grammar. He had an accident that left him a quadriplegic. My dead father appeared and told me to cut him loose. Dad didn't want me saddled with that burden. Thanks, Dad!

by Anonymousreply 20January 25, 2023 3:32 AM

r20 Did you eat LSD laced cheese before going to bed? I thought I had some terrible dreams.

by Anonymousreply 21January 25, 2023 3:51 AM

I bailed on this program pronto once the producer’s chickened out on the season ending cliff hanging promise to explore Roz’s desire to explore a sexual relationship with Frasier.

by Anonymousreply 22January 25, 2023 3:53 AM

Daphne’s mother was a sign that the show had dipped in quality.

by Anonymousreply 23January 25, 2023 3:57 AM

I didn't like Daphne either and yes her accent was forced and fake. She had no comic timing. And they kept elevating her character as though she was something terrific.

Talking of which an ex and now late friend of mine was on - Carole Shelley - she I think played the Jewish mother of a some girl Frasier wanted to impress, so he pretended to be Jewish. Carole was a total dud. You really needed to be actually funny on Frasier, you couldn't just rely on the script. Carole's flat performance clarified this for me.

One of Frasier's girlfriends was terrific - can't remember her name. Very well known.

Also whatshername, the wife of Tom Hanks was surprisingly funny - but they overplayed the situation in the end.

[quote]Daphne’s mother was a sign that the show had dipped in quality.

ANYTHING to do with Daphne was a dip.

I didn't think the father was very funny - though DL loves him so much they made him gay in real life. That's how much you gurls loved him.

by Anonymousreply 24January 25, 2023 4:05 AM

Sam Malone in his guest appearance. Ted Danson is one of those men who isn’t funny but thinks he is. Witless yet smug.

by Anonymousreply 25January 25, 2023 4:18 AM

Bebe.

by Anonymousreply 26January 25, 2023 4:21 AM

[quote]One of Frasier's girlfriends was terrific - can't remember her name. Very well known.

I had to google her husband - Jean Smart. She was VERY funny in this.

by Anonymousreply 27January 25, 2023 4:25 AM

I hated all the episodes where the old Cheers characters showed up. Loved when Bebe would show up.

by Anonymousreply 28January 25, 2023 4:42 AM

[R21], as far as I know, my cheese is not laced with LSD. But your comment made me laugh.

John Mahoney was so disappointing on Frasier. I loved him in Moonstruck and even Say Anything. He seemed so wooden and flat on Frasier. Eddie was the best thing about that show.

by Anonymousreply 29January 25, 2023 4:43 AM

I may have related this before on DL, but I saw Mahoney in a couple of theater productions and was surprised by what bad performances he gave. It goes against logic, given how experienced an actor he was and the awards he'd won, but I found him almost amateurish in them. One of the productions had him use an English accent of some sort, and it sounded very fake--which is especially surprising, given that he grew up there. I wonder if he was experiencing age-related decline, sadly. I've liked him in many other things.

by Anonymousreply 30January 25, 2023 5:10 AM

John Mahoney’s doubled over fake guffawing was tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 31January 25, 2023 5:58 AM

Don't see the point of naming Mel in this context. Of course she was hated - she was meant to be hated

by Anonymousreply 32January 25, 2023 7:55 AM

You have to enjoy a hateful character for it to be entertaining, r32. Jane/Mel was just unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 33January 25, 2023 2:17 PM

I never really hated Mel. She was perfect for Niles since she was pretty much female him. The only point when she became a bitch when he dumped her about 2 days after the wedding seemed pretty understandable.

by Anonymousreply 34January 25, 2023 2:40 PM

They didn't give Carole anything to do, r24. Her role was to simply be a Jewish mother and the reason for the subterfuge. The comedy was in the subterfuge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 25, 2023 2:40 PM

[quote]The only point when she became a bitch when he dumped her about 2 days after the wedding seemed pretty understandable.

I thought she was unpleasant from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 36January 25, 2023 2:42 PM

Daphne was the worst of all the major characters. Then her family showed up, and they were even worse.

Mel was tolerable but the less of her the better, same for Donny.

By the last two seasons the show had lost its steam. Once the totally gay Niles married the totally insufferable Daphne, the show basically ended.

by Anonymousreply 37January 25, 2023 2:43 PM

We all love Marsha Mason but Sherry was the absolute fucking worst.

by Anonymousreply 38January 25, 2023 2:44 PM

r36 I just remember her being a prissy overclean snob. Like 90% of the other characters.

by Anonymousreply 39January 25, 2023 2:50 PM

Daphne didn't bother me as much as she seemed to bug some of you. The ensemble cast worked well together and can still have me busting a gut. Even minor characters like Noel Shempsky were quite funny.

by Anonymousreply 40January 25, 2023 3:20 PM

R9, that's really interesting. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 41January 25, 2023 3:24 PM

Frasier, of course.

by Anonymousreply 42January 25, 2023 3:26 PM

I thought Mahoney was from Ireland originally.

by Anonymousreply 43January 25, 2023 3:27 PM

Marsha Mason overstayed her welcome. A couple episodes would have been enjoyable but 7 was too many for a guest star. Felicity Huffman also had too many episodes at 8 which was 8 too many for this viewer.

by Anonymousreply 44January 25, 2023 7:25 PM

Charles John Mahoney was born in Blackpool, England. His paternal grandfather was Irish.

by Anonymousreply 45January 25, 2023 7:28 PM

The brother

by Anonymousreply 46January 25, 2023 7:29 PM

Wiki

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 25, 2023 7:39 PM

Some characters definitely would’ve been more tolerable with fewer appearances. I enjoyed Millicent Martin in small doses but Daphne’s mother was indeed overused in season 10. The less said about Huffman’s role, the better.

They would’ve been wise to remember their “less is more” edict which applied to Bebe the agent. Ken Levine said that they decided very early on not to overuse her; they wanted it to be a real treat every time she showed up.

by Anonymousreply 48January 26, 2023 3:34 PM

[quote]I actually liked Dan Butler as Bulldog. Especially in the episode when he was shirtless. So, sue me!

Oh, honey!

He was shite with or without his stupid shirt one.

by Anonymousreply 49January 26, 2023 3:39 PM

* shirt on, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 50January 26, 2023 3:39 PM

I saw the episode where Bebe has to quit smoking and was doubled over laughing. That actress could do a crazed cunning look perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 51January 26, 2023 3:52 PM

[quote]I didn't think the father was very funny - though DL loves him so much they made him gay in real life.

Um, we didn’t make him gay. He was gay.

And if we were going to “make” anyone gay, I can think of better looking people than him.

by Anonymousreply 52January 26, 2023 3:52 PM

I just can't see it with Bebe. I don't care for that actress or character. I'm surprised she is so well liked. I thought she stunk.

by Anonymousreply 53January 26, 2023 4:41 PM

Bulldog was alright in small doses but the horny jock persona was a lot less funny than horny Roz.

by Anonymousreply 54January 26, 2023 4:45 PM

John Mahoney was out in real life. Not bad for an old gut IMO. His straight character played gay a few times on the show.

by Anonymousreply 55January 26, 2023 4:47 PM

Very true r54! With Roz it was funny.

by Anonymousreply 56January 26, 2023 4:49 PM

Lillith

by Anonymousreply 57January 26, 2023 7:04 PM

One of my favorite Roz moments, R56, was when she was cooing over a puppy, then immediately coldly insisted that she had no interest in adopting it. Frasier was startled and she said something to the effect of doing the exact shame thing when it came to men.

by Anonymousreply 58January 27, 2023 2:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!