Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tiny Tim

Why was he so popular?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 25, 2023 12:20 AM

[quote]Why was he so popular?

Was he though?

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2023 11:31 PM

His high-pitched, falsetto voice, ukulele playing and unusual appearance (Tim was over 6 feet tall and wore his dark, curly hair to his shoulders) surprised Dan Rowan; but Tiny Tim was a novelty hit. He appeared several more times on Laugh In and became a regular on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show.

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2023 11:33 PM

People liked viewing a train wreck, like when he and Miss Vicki got married on the Tonight Show

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2023 11:34 PM

He had a genuine serious appreciation for early 20th century pop music and actually did a lot to revive interest in it.

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2023 11:35 PM

There's a song by roxette that I like that name drops him for some reason and it's just kind of irritated really because it's really a stupid lyrics but then I really just probably because they don't speak English.

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2023 11:37 PM

Why?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2023 11:39 PM

Honey R5, apparently neither do you.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2023 11:40 PM

I actually thought 'Tiptoe Through the Tulips' was cute.

by Anonymousreply 8January 25, 2023 12:00 AM

What could be funnier than a gay guy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 25, 2023 12:04 AM

He was a freaque who went from local camp performer to the big time, and was for a short time "popular" (or infamous, among middle-America, Silent Majority types) because of the purity of the outrageousness of his spectacle.

by Anonymousreply 10January 25, 2023 12:13 AM

He was a novelty act of the 60s. His popularity didn't last long. I thought he was kind of amusing. Was he gay? I can't imagine anyone, male or female, who would have wanted to sleeip with him, although he was married to "Miss Vicki" on the Tonight Show.

by Anonymousreply 11January 25, 2023 12:15 AM

r11 fundie christian.

by Anonymousreply 12January 25, 2023 12:17 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 25, 2023 12:19 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 25, 2023 12:19 AM

Remember that he was popular in the 60s, long before every freak became a reality star. He actually had talent and an appreciation for old tunes but it was his odd looks that drew public attention. There was no appreciation for his talent, just for his odd look (odd at the time!).

by Anonymousreply 15January 25, 2023 12:20 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 25, 2023 12:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!