Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oscars 2023 -- How different the impact is.

I'm at my office and Oscar nominations were announced 4, 5 hours ago. Work with a group of people who stay up on movies, theater, books, etc...Definitely follow pop culture. Not one person has yet to mention this morning's nominations, and I've only gotten 1 email. I think they've became unnecessary to so many. Am I alone in sensing this? I remember even 10, 15 years ago, the announcement would be everywhere and people would start talking about what they've seen, and what they've yet to see. Maybe I'm using rose-colored glasses, but something has shifted, I think.

by Anonymousreply 22March 18, 2023 1:39 AM

No one wants to say the wrong thing. If you support surprise nominee Andrea Riesborough, does that mean you are against black actresses? If you're happy for Ruben Ostlund, are you against female directors. It has become totally politicized.

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2023 6:59 PM

People are just done with award shows and they're done watching rich, privileged celebrities stroke each others cocks and preaching politics.

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2023 7:01 PM

DL isn't representative of most of the world. Most people don't care about the Oscars, Hollywood, and actors.

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2023 7:10 PM

I think you've answered your own question in your post, OP...

[quote] I remember even 10, 15 years ago, the announcement would be everywhere and people would start talking about what they've seen, and what they've yet to see.

That's my timeline as well: that it's been about 15 years since the awards had even modest impact or reflected films not all of which I'd likely dismiss out of hand.

In the intervening years the awards have been a matter of routine rather than any hint of excitement. Over my lifetime the discussion of winners has tipped increasingly to which film should win best picture for its message or prescience more than for for its quality as a film. Acceptance speeches (which I used to defend as the important part of the awards, not the bit that should be cut first) have become apologies and platforms for pro forma pat messages as if the speaker were addressing a room of people who had an even slightly different opinion.

More than all that, films are not what they used to be. There are action films, superheroes, the occasional stupid comedy, and a couple of message films. That's the choice over a while year.

Better films and series are made for TV streaming platforms than for cinemas. Cinemas are not what they used to be in big markets like the U.S. La Casa de Papel (Money Heist) was watched by 200M, maybe 350M people on Netflix and was better than what was in offer in cinemas over those same three years. More original, better acting, more interesting characters, production qualities, music... Cinema is done except for big screen fans in a few genres like superheros -- not an audience number to scoff at, but a defined and fairly static group. Cinema's hope has for a long time turned on TV distribution and this trend only grows more prevalent.

The whole idea of an academy of motion picture arts seems antiquated, as does the focus on motion pictures apart from things made for TV. The distinction is an artificial one now. The awards shows will be the last to catch on.

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2023 8:06 PM

One erudite DAtalounger here says these awards turned to trash in 1967.

I think I agree.

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2023 8:15 PM

That is because normal working class people don't give a fuck about overpaid privileged bitches playing dress up, who then go to award shows to stroke each others cocks and clits. People have had enough of this. Personally, I wish Will Smith would show up at every award show and slap the fuck out of all of them

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2023 8:33 PM

In the past I always noted when nominations were coming out and even set my alarm to see them live.

I didn’t even know that the nominations were today till I saw the thread on DL. So weird how times have changed.

I heard about the praise for Andrea Riseborough’s performance on DL and planned to watch To Leslie at some point. Her nomination makes me want to see it sooner rather than later but I’ll probably not watch the ceremony. I haven’t watched it in 3-4 years.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2023 8:33 PM

ENGLISH 2023 - - How different the impact is. [quote] they've became unnecessary

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2023 10:42 PM

Because there is no "Official Thread #5"....

ABOUT THE "IN MEMORIAM" for ANGELA LANSBURY:

I SAW FULL-SCREEN. ANOTHER SAW SPLIT-SCREEN.

On the Official Oscars Twitter page, BOTH are shown.

Apparently some market(s) were shown James Caan and Angela Lansbury together, split-screen.

Other markets like my Philadelphia one showed each star on a separate full screen. Alone. No blurred pairing.

I have no idea why.

by Anonymousreply 9March 15, 2023 1:27 AM

It changed for a lot of reasons, OP.

Partly that the film business changed to focus on titles that are sellable worldwide, because the US is no longer its biggest market.

Partly that our culture has slowly changed in the last 30-40 years from a culture that had a lot of shared experiences - i.e. 3 channels on TV meant a lot of people likely watched what you watched - to a culture with many possible streams of media to watch or experience, so that shared knowledge/excitement is no longer as massive as it used to be.

And partly that the Oscars no longer seems as special as it once did. Is it celebrity culture overload? A feeling of making a big fuss over something silly when America is slowly rotting from the insides? A general disdain for a lot of the old institutions? Perhaps all of the above.

by Anonymousreply 10March 15, 2023 1:36 AM

R9 I saw James and Angela on their own screens, however James' photo had two images, one of him more recently and one as a younger actor.

I can't remember if Angie's did too but it's possible.

by Anonymousreply 11March 15, 2023 1:37 AM

R11 you are correct re Caan. Angela was featured with a single photo from her post MSW years.

You numnuts who think there were multiple options shown in different domestic TV markets, or that the world saw different memorial images…are just plain stupid.

by Anonymousreply 12March 15, 2023 1:46 AM

r4 r10 Great thoughtful posts.

by Anonymousreply 13March 15, 2023 1:58 AM

😮.

by Anonymousreply 14March 15, 2023 4:06 AM

The industry has lost its magic. Nothing is about real merit anymore. It’s about who has the best sob story/ victim narrative. “I’m old! I’m Asian! I’m fat!”

by Anonymousreply 15March 15, 2023 4:10 AM

There is no mystique anymore. No mystery. No real star power. Honestly, was there really anyone who you were really looking forward to seeing on stage?

The campaigning has become so much more transparent and business-like, that the entire Oscar season feels cynical and joyless. Plus, we have to suffer through SAG, Bafta, etc.

Growing up, I loved watching Cher win, or Jodie winning, watching Meryl be nominated. But it's no longer exciting as it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 16March 15, 2023 4:26 AM

What was "exciting" about seeing Meryl nominated for the umpteenth time?

Yes, r16; I was looking forward to seeing Austin Butler accept his Oscar. And seeing Twitter Trolls have nothing but empty mockery to comfort themselves.

by Anonymousreply 17March 15, 2023 11:20 AM

{quote] I was looking forward to seeing Austin Butler accept his Oscar. And seeing Twitter Trolls have nothing but empty mockery to comfort themselves.

So who's laughing now?

by Anonymousreply 18March 15, 2023 11:57 AM

The Oscars and, to a lesser extent, the GG used to be the only awards that were publicized. Now, there are four or five leading up to the Oscars, so there is very little mystery as to who is going to win. By the time the Oscars are given, people are pretty much tired of the whole process. If they were first, there would be more discussion.

by Anonymousreply 19March 15, 2023 12:04 PM

Of course, r18; that would be my implication with my entire post. But whatever. Purdue just lost to Fairleigh Dickinson 🏀, so I'm content!

by Anonymousreply 20March 18, 2023 1:31 AM

I liked watching Meryl be nominated because well, she is a great actress. Back in the '80s, she was nominated for genuinely great performances (Silkwood, Out of Africa, Ironweed, A Cry in the Dark).

I think the last decade or so of her nominations are suspect and she is only nominated because she is Meryl Streep but I think up until The Devil Wears Prada, Meryl was appropriately nominated.

by Anonymousreply 21March 18, 2023 1:39 AM

R19, I don't know; I thought the horse race for "Best Actor," from GGs going one way, SAGs yet another, with others in between and around them, made the Oscar telecast exciting, especially with the late positioning of this award.

Next year, though, not so much, now that we know the winners WILL duplicate the SAGs. Oscars 2024 will be about the clothing.

Unless the Academy contrives faux-excitement, like "First MCU to be nominated!" Or "Will 'Mission Impossible 2023' win for Tom Cruise?!"

by Anonymousreply 22March 18, 2023 1:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!