Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Parenthood (1989)

Let's discuss the 1980's American comedy film Parenthood. The film chronicles the lives of the Buckman family as they go through ups and downs.

Directed by Ron Howard

Written by Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel

Music by Randy Newman

Starring Steve Martin, Tom Hulce, Dianne Wiest, Harley Kozak, Mary Steenburgen, Jason Robards, Rick Moranis, Martha Plimpton, Keanu Reeves, Joaquin "Leaf" Phoenix, Dennis Dugan, and HELEN SHAW as Grandma

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2023 11:35 PM

I was born when Grover Cleveland was president

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2023 2:41 PM

I went into this thinking it would be super funny but it was kind of grim. Great cast though

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2023 2:44 PM

I remember the scenes with the gambler son ( Tom Hulce) and the kid he abandoned. Even as a child, I knew that plot line was devastating.

Mary Steenburgen was great in this too.

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2023 2:48 PM

I ADORE this movie. It’s just about perfect. Dianne Weist at her best — she was Oscar-nominated fit this. And she has said she really wanted it. She’s fantastic.

Robards Abby’s a gravitas to the entire thing. As does Martin, actually. Tom Hulce, Mary Steenburgen, Martha Plimpton. It’s a terrific movie. Very funny, but surprising in its pathos and is quite moving.

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2023 2:50 PM

Yes, r4, I agree about Dianne Weist's performance too

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2023 2:53 PM

The funniest scene in the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2023 2:56 PM

Randy Newman destroys everything that Ron Howard doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2023 3:02 PM

R7 how so?

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2023 3:33 PM

My retainer!!!! My retainer!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2023 3:37 PM

Show him, honey.

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2023 3:40 PM

I forgot to add Eileen Ryan to the cast list! She plays Jason Robards wife.

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2023 3:41 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2023 3:52 PM

Keanu Reeves was hot in this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2023 3:58 PM

When he touches me, I quiver.

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2023 4:24 PM

I was in going into 9th grade and saw it in the theater. Everyone I was with hated it, but I loved it and still do. Babaloo Mandel wrote some good 80's movies

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2023 4:48 PM

He’s ruining the play!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2023 4:52 PM

[quote]Randy Newman destroys everything that Ron Howard doesn't.

Since you bring it up...

The oddest thing is if you listen to the scoring during the birthday party scene with Steve Martin clowning around, you might recognize the note for note melody of a song "composed" by Andrew Lloyd Webber for his dopey musical "Sunset Boulevard" allegedly written years later! I think is "The Perfect Year" from the show. It isn't a similar tune, it is EXACTLY the same song. Hmmm....?

I guess Randy Newman stole a composition that ALW had yet to write!

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2023 7:05 PM

I never caught that, r17!

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2023 7:13 PM

If you ever watch it again, see if you hear what I hear, lol.

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2023 7:15 PM

A funny movie

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2023 11:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!