Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends: moody mahogany in dark Edwardian digs opposite the Tower of London, 2-bedrooms, £1.7M

A 1622 square feet conversion of a 1914 Edwardian HQ of a school, the first floor flat consists of a large main room of about 650 square feet, 2 bedrooms, 2-baths, and a kitchen. The present decor is likely to draw a strong divide in opinion.

Designed by Arthur Conran Blomfield in 1914 as the boardroom and chairman's office of Christ's Hospital, a separately located boarding school (not a hospital in the modern sense) conceived by Henry VIII as a school for poor children and founded a few years later in1552. The space was recently renovated as apartments after having last served as banking offices of NatWest.

Yes, it's a leasehold, but with a 99-year term remaining. Nothing to fear, not even if you are a teenager looking for some gentleman's clubby forever digs.

Take away every one of the extra cushions on the chairs and sofas (and that ugly and too small arched top virtine between the front windows) in the main room and I love the space, the glowing mahogany, the moody dark walls, the Georgian banking office details. Sure there are things I would change: the chintz sofas, the too many small prints, the chandelier needs an upgrade in size, the candle sconces, but it's a rare case for me of liking a place as it is and not having to look past the teastes of the present owner.

I'd like less living on Great Tower Street, storming with traffic and tourists, and the Square Mile seems an odd place to live though it has some some great early buildings and apartments tucked in among some monstrosities, some mediocre, some Roman ruins, etc., and it's convenient enough, just less residential than some might like.

Floor plan, photos, and listing at link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 26, 2023 1:18 PM

Horrible position looking out on an incredibly busy junction, traffic lights and all. ⬇️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2023 12:16 PM

What a DUMP.

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2023 12:16 PM

Great photo of the kitchen, idiots!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2023 12:18 PM

Maybe they'll sell the place on this photo alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2023 12:19 PM

I'd want it, but I wouldn't buy it.

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2023 12:19 PM

The busy Hung Drawn & Quartered pub is just on the other side of the wall. I can't imagine the walls are thick enough to drown everything out, and you'll always hear the outside crowds even if you don't hear the crowds indoors.

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2023 12:21 PM

It's pleasant and cozy. Nitpicking? I would not have applied the high polish to the wood. It would look better waxed and polished to a dull sheen.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2023 12:22 PM

[quote]The busy Hung Drawn & Quartered pub is just on the other side of the wall.

OMG

[quote] I can't imagine the walls are thick enough to drown everything out

And the smell of booze.

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2023 12:24 PM

The location is shit. Did you see the ridiculous kitchen with the impossible-to-use range?

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2023 12:27 PM

And this is what it's like outside - so forget parking your car and deliveries are going to be a major problem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2023 12:29 PM

[quote]Did you see the ridiculous kitchen

Not really because the photographer didn't stand back and show the whole room but zoomed in.

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2023 12:30 PM

I enjoyed learning that as soon as you step out of the shower, you'll be standing wet and naked right in front of a window that opens to the busy tourist-filled street.

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2023 12:32 PM

It's a bugger of a flat

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2023 12:35 PM

They did their best, including the narrow, zoomed-in photos that avoid showing God knows what.

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2023 12:36 PM

C L U T T E R…

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2023 12:37 PM

I am so over those stuffed and stuffy homes that look like an antiques outlet..

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2023 12:38 PM

I went to look at an apartment recently. It looked like shit from the photos. Went in and the flat had views over Holland fucking Park - but gee, the photographer forgot to take a photo. Instead took three of the fugly '60s building. Estate agents haven't got a clue how to photograph a place.

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2023 12:40 PM

It would be better as a solicitors office or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2023 12:41 PM

I can appreciate that, R16, but would say the stuffed and stuffy look with near black walls and mahogany everywhere is very far from the predominate look in property listings or in design magazines.

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2023 12:42 PM

I agree, R19, it isn't just stuffy for the sake of filling the house to the brim. But I find that many of the paintings, tchotchkes, statue-things, throw pillows, chairs and more chairs distract from the beauty of the home. Imagine what a simpler interior and decoration could do to that place. I'm not talking chrome, glass and modern beige stuff, but just.. a little less? It's the kind of house that would benefit from strong, clean lines.

I am very much in favour of the dark colours, by the way. Bold choices and it works really well.

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2023 12:48 PM

OP- If the house was constructed in 1914 then it's not Edwardian. King Edward died in 1910. The house would be Georgian being that King George V was King at that time.

by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2023 12:52 PM

Thanks for the correction, R10, it's not Edwardian in period. The style I should have pegged as Georgian or Georgian Revival; whether you want to say that it's Georgian Revival or Georgian is part of a Palladian tradition of Neoclassism that continues uninterrupted to the present day is a matter more of taste than of hard rules. In architecture, Georgian refers either to a style or to a period, the period in this case 1714-1830 but more usually 1714-1837 (including William IV's short reign.) It would make no sense for a period of architecture to be interrupted for 80 years and then to pick up again where it left off, just as, in architecture, large houses built 1952-1922 are not called Elizabethan in style or period.

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2023 1:36 PM

R12, yes, it's like being in the red-light district of Amsterdam, except IT FACES THE FUCKING TOWER and sits too close to Tower Hill's horrors for my psychic life.

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2023 1:37 PM

R22

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2023 1:42 PM

Straighten the pictures!

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2023 1:43 PM

Agreed, R20. I love the dark colors and the mahogany everywhere, even the mahogany (or maybe tobacco spit) color of the glazed tiles in the shower. I like much of the brown furniture, but would replace the upholstered chairs and sofas with something more modern, and likewise replace the little prints and engravings with bigger, bolder paintings. And do a sweep of all the glass sconces and fussy tabletop stuff.

And for fuck's sake, get rid of every one of those stupid little cushions everywhere. It's the absolute easiest of design fixes to chuck them all, but I hate seeing them, and hate having to clear a space on someone's sofa or chair to park my quite compact ass. Put a bolster at either end of a sofa if you like taking naps, but otherwise, why?

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2023 1:53 PM

I think delivery vehicles could pull up right in front of the building.

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2023 2:01 PM

The City is quite central but deadly dull “at” the weekend, innit London friends?

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2023 3:10 PM

R22, it's a fucking mess and if you have to sit on the pot typing about it being Georgian Revival or Neo-Fascist-Palladian at least recognize that black or near-black wall treatments and trip-over-it clutter were only seen in a Palladian, Carolinian, Georgian, Neo-Georgian, Neo-Classical, Carolinian, English Baroque or fucking Inigo Jonesian structure that had a catastrophic fire followed by a mob ransacking the place.

Also, lack of egress and its hideous location make it an over-the-shop folly, in which "style" matters less than the silliness of the whole thing. One does not face the Tower with Tower Hill at one's back and a tavern adjacent proudly based on a regicide having his guts hauled out of him while punching the executioner and think of Palladian, and Charles I having been executed outside the Banqueting House does not excuse it. It is the location for a chips shop with a Ghouls of the The Tower museum in the ground level.

by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2023 5:40 PM

It makes we want to slit my wrists.

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2023 5:47 PM

OMFG. Now we know you two R22 R29 live in double wides on the outskirts of the wrong side of Charleston. GET A ROOM.

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2023 7:59 PM

Ground floor units are terrible for people who are sensitive to noise. People like me, I can't bear the traffic noises. Its noiser now due to all the at home deliveries we receive.

by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2023 9:37 PM

It's on the ground floor? This has gone from bad to worse.

by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2023 9:40 PM

[quote]OMFG. Now we know you two [R22] [R29] live in double wides on the outskirts of the wrong side of Charleston. GET A ROOM.

"OMFG. I hate it when someone interrupts my discussion of soft wax because I'm such a fucking cunt someone should just cut my head off so I can complete the tiresome know-nothing look I cultivate out of shame and enormity."

by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2023 11:20 PM

I think it's this heavy depressing flat that's causing this disharmony. You NEVER get this sort of thing on tasteful friends threads.

by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2023 11:28 PM

R33, the listing is on the first floor in the UK sense, i.e. not the ground floor.

by Anonymousreply 36January 25, 2023 8:32 PM

Is there such a thing as "ground floor" in American speak?

by Anonymousreply 37January 25, 2023 8:54 PM

Yep, here we use ground floor and first floor interchangeably

by Anonymousreply 38January 25, 2023 9:30 PM

I love it. How much is it?

by Anonymousreply 39January 25, 2023 9:36 PM

So, it's on the (American) second floor...facing one of the busiest traffic junctions in London, but hey, there'a a view of an historic prison, where hundreds of people were hanged and beheaded.

by Anonymousreply 40January 25, 2023 9:45 PM

[quote]I love it. How much is it?

£1.7 Million - over two million dollars.

by Anonymousreply 41January 25, 2023 9:46 PM

R21-“1901-1910, the children will have a new date to learn for their history examinations”

by Anonymousreply 42January 26, 2023 12:04 AM

I like it but I very much doubt I'd like living in that location. I did have essentially that exact sofa style and print years ago.

by Anonymousreply 43January 26, 2023 12:19 AM

R42- That's my favorite show!

by Anonymousreply 44January 26, 2023 12:20 AM

Leasehold is a DEAL BREAKER for me. I would only want to purchase the house outright.

by Anonymousreply 45January 26, 2023 12:24 AM

I'm not entirely sure what a "leasehold" is, tbh.

Does the King own the building and they let out the flats for 50 years at a time or something?

by Anonymousreply 46January 26, 2023 12:32 AM

I love the furniture. The place has a warm and cozy feel, but the location is not good, too much traffic.

Fun fact, I was at the Hung, Drawn and Quartered pub during my first visit to London three years ago. Stopped by for a beverage after a visit to the Tower.

by Anonymousreply 47January 26, 2023 1:48 AM

Nice place, I particularly like the furniture and most of the interior, not sure abut the location though. Its a bit on the dark side though

by Anonymousreply 48January 26, 2023 8:28 AM

Why am I not surprised, R48

:)

by Anonymousreply 49January 26, 2023 8:33 AM

I actually liked it. Yes, I'd get rid of a lot of that furniture and would decorate differently, but I found it elegant and cozy.

Sorry, but the view of the Tower sold me immediately.

An Underground stop right outside of the front door? A NY-er's dream!

by Anonymousreply 50January 26, 2023 8:35 AM

That's very cool R4.

by Anonymousreply 51January 26, 2023 10:37 AM

Does the kitchen have the under the counter washer, dryer, and refrigerator setups I always see in Brit tv shows? Looks like no closets either.

I love the wall colors and the bathtub tile, and a lot of the furniture. That location is a big NO, however.

by Anonymousreply 52January 26, 2023 11:07 AM

City on fire!!

by Anonymousreply 53January 26, 2023 12:32 PM

[quote]Looks like no closets either.

Closets are something of a rarity in the UK. They seem to favor wardrobes and built-in storage cabinets. I don't think I've ever seen a walk-in closet there.

by Anonymousreply 54January 26, 2023 1:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!