Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: An extraordinary Palm Springs time capsule.

Groovy glamour. Fabulously frightening. Textile trauma. My eyes hurt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80January 28, 2023 10:20 PM

Holy crap. This place is so bad...it's actually GOOD.

You can tell this place was THE SHIT in its day. And it's remarkably very clean and well kept. It really looks like this place was fully decorated yesterday. I'm amazed. Would make a great AirBnB and the outdoor area is fairly nice as well.

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2023 5:00 AM

Difficult color, green.

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2023 5:08 AM

It's the place you wish your childhood friend's parents had had when you were a child. The parents drank, smoked like chimneys (so many large chunky glass ashtrays), were loud, loved parties, hosted parties, didn't turn their backs to the reemergence of cocaine among the Middle Class, were always away and generally turned a blind eye to anything their kids did.

The house was crazy even when new in 1969 and certainly stood out ever since. They had maid in every day. The maid would bring her sister after the parents had hosted a party (the things they would find in those wide cushion gaps in the mile-long gold sofa.)

Your friend was deeply embarrassed by the parents. You almost wished your parents were more like them. Almost.

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2023 5:40 AM

So warm and cozy šŸ¤—

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2023 5:48 AM

What r1 said. This house is so tacky and so over the top I love it. It would be a fun place to stay for a few days, and pretend that you're in the glamorous Rat Pack-era Palm Springs.

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2023 6:12 AM

Elvis would've loved this.

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2023 6:17 AM

A tremendous place to drop acid!

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2023 6:44 AM

^ Elvis says, "Nah, I'm good"...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2023 9:36 AM

I love it. I absolutely love it.

The hilariously ugly nude in the kitchen needs to be burned to a crisp, though.

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2023 9:49 AM

I love the living room and the breakfast nook. I wouldn't want to touch those.

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2023 9:50 AM

I canā€™t stop looking at the photos. The colors are normally hideous (to me, or anyone with functioning eyeballs), yet itā€™s so well done: clean, well maintained, not too cluttered. Part of my brain keeps saying, ā€œShhhhhā€¦just enjoy it.ā€ So I am.

Thanks for posting this OP. Itā€™s a rare gem. It brings out the part of me that secretly wants to smoke, day drink, lounge around all day by the pool, and have a large group of creative, fun friends who pop in for spontaneous parties. I fucking love it!

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2023 9:59 AM

The interior is a perfect heinosity.

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2023 10:12 AM

Wow, that owner was very dedicated to the chosen color scheme in each room.

The house itself is beautiful, though.

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2023 10:19 AM

Dust mites GALORE!!!

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2023 10:26 AM

[quote]My eyes hurt.

As well they should.

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2023 10:35 AM

OMG we have discussed this house at least 6 times in the past year.

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2023 10:40 AM

Some queen OD'd during the 'tone-on-tone' discussion. Matchy matchy.

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2023 10:42 AM

Iā€™d fall and hurt myself in that bi-level bedroom!

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2023 12:11 PM

Did colored people live there? Or perhaps homosexuals?

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2023 3:01 PM

[quote]It brings out the part of me that secretly wants to smoke, day drink, lounge around all day by the pool, and have a large group of creative, fun friends who pop in for spontaneous parties.

It makes me want to gobble Black Beauties and 'Ludes and wash them down with Harvey's Bristol Cream.

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2023 3:06 PM

I feel like we've has a Tasteful Friends thread on this house before, but nevertheless I still love it. Especially the cozy knotty pine den and the glorious kitchen!

by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2023 3:10 PM

The kitchen and casual dining (yellow) room are the only places I wouldn't immediately set on fire.

But R1 nailed it. You can tell this WAS quite something for its day.

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2023 3:31 PM

Of any Tasteful Friends home cries out for a caftan, this one does.

It really could contain many of the DLā€™s favorite products. Surely that bedroom has a Blackglama mink in the closet, and that kitchen must have a jar of High Point coffee. Even the den coffee table looks ready to be laid with a Red Dragon cheese platter.

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2023 4:49 PM

Imagine all the swingers' parties that must've been hosted there. I bet you can still smell the cum.

by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2023 4:51 PM

The bones of the house are not cheesy or tacky, IMO. The only room that I think needs major work is the primary bathroom with all of that overhead lighting (encased) over the sink.

The primary bedroom - bed on platform, could be OK.

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2023 5:10 PM

I think the kitchen is quite nice.

I'd bring a flamethrower to the rest of it.

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2023 5:30 PM

It's a visual feast. I like the bar/den room. It's too perfect, though. I can't imagine how it would look filled with people and their stuff. It's more a pop art piece than a home.

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2023 5:31 PM

I liked it...until the bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2023 5:36 PM

Look at all that shag carpeting! How often do you see that nowadays?

by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2023 6:07 PM

R23 It's got FLAVAH!

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2023 8:00 PM

It's remarkably well preserved. Yeah, it's "too much" for me, but I LOVE that it exists. Would love to see some kitschy free spirit to take it over and not change much. Aside from that, the house looks like it has a nice layout and structure for anyone who wants to do a full rehab.

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2023 8:09 PM

I'm with the others who think it's so tacky and over the top I can't help but be drawn to it. Not that I'd want to live in it but fun to visit. The house itself is lovely. I can picture glammed up couples with martinis and cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2023 8:17 PM

I would make a wonderful DataLounge Welcome Center in Palm Springs!

by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2023 11:41 PM

This is the glamourous lifestyle that all gays should aspire to!

by Anonymousreply 34January 25, 2023 12:51 AM

If you can see yourself throwing a Key Party, then you've found the right place!

by Anonymousreply 35January 25, 2023 12:52 AM

This is where Iā€™d open my free-range dementia daycare - featuring drones equipped with ketamine blow darts.

Private pay only; no formal diagnosis needed!

by Anonymousreply 36January 25, 2023 1:10 AM

Horrible house for a sex party (at least the interior). That carpet would be infused with sex party runoff - cum, lube, sweat, spit, etc.

by Anonymousreply 37January 25, 2023 1:42 AM

^ amateur!

by Anonymousreply 38January 25, 2023 1:59 AM

Itā€™s glorious in itā€™s tackiness, I love it.

by Anonymousreply 39January 25, 2023 2:03 AM

I don't know that the tasteful friends thread people think we had is this one- I think it was a similarly fantastical fantasy like this. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 40January 25, 2023 2:05 AM

I can see all of the Gabor Sisters enjoying a cocktail party here.

by Anonymousreply 41January 25, 2023 2:09 AM

It was this one. It's seared into my eye sockets.

by Anonymousreply 42January 25, 2023 2:10 AM

I was going to echo RC; I come onto DL every day for too many hours and I have never seen this one before. I've seen another PS listing that was a bit similar in its craptastic 70s look, but it wasn't this one...this one stays with me like Windsong Stays on my Mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 25, 2023 2:27 AM

[quote]I can see all of the Gabor Sisters enjoying a cocktail party here.

There's a story that Zsa Zsa slapped a maid and a chauffer here...at the same party!

by Anonymousreply 44January 25, 2023 2:28 AM

It was this one. And we discussed the fabulous green salon. And there were over 50 perhaps 100 or more posts.

by Anonymousreply 45January 25, 2023 2:30 AM

Hm, do you have the link r45? I just want to see if I made some drunken comment and that's why I can't recall.

by Anonymousreply 46January 25, 2023 2:33 AM

I don't. I tried google searches and got bupkis

by Anonymousreply 47January 25, 2023 2:36 AM

PERFECTION !

by Anonymousreply 48January 25, 2023 2:41 AM

If you donā€™t have the Prince Matchabelli crown bottle, yaā€™ got nuttinā€™ !

by Anonymousreply 49January 25, 2023 2:42 AM

You're right, dear poster. I found one thread from 2021 on this address (in which the OP was chastised because they'd already had multiple threads on this listing) but it was only 15 replies long/thread closed. Didn't see a comment from me, so indeed I missed it. I didn't find any other threads beyond that one though, likely because it didn't include "Palm Springs" in the title search.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 25, 2023 2:47 AM

I really want to spend a week there and soak up all the glamour!

by Anonymousreply 51January 25, 2023 2:52 AM

Pond scum green then strawberry red followed by getting hit with rocks back to pond scum green and the grand finale of egg yolk yellow.

by Anonymousreply 52January 25, 2023 3:02 AM

I would move in and keep it exactly as is. Itā€™s so awful that it somehow achieves perfection. Itā€™s the definition of perfectly awful. But Iā€™d need to sleep in the blue bedroom if I hoped to feel peaceful. Guests can have the master.

by Anonymousreply 53January 25, 2023 3:06 AM

I love it. I just do. No explanation necessary. Itā€™s fucking FABULOUS.

by Anonymousreply 54January 25, 2023 3:18 AM

Every room made me gasp in horror. Are there matching green Ford Pintos in the garage?

by Anonymousreply 55January 25, 2023 3:29 AM

They certainly werenā€™t afraid of color.

by Anonymousreply 56January 25, 2023 4:01 AM

I can't think of a better excuse to wear a caftan than being in this house.

by Anonymousreply 57January 25, 2023 4:10 AM

I showed the listing to a pre-teen relative of mine who was over for dinner tonight with family and she gasped at every room.

As in, gasping with delight.

She picked out the pink room first as "her" room, then when she saw the blue room, she changed her mind. She especially loved the bar/rumpus room.

by Anonymousreply 58January 25, 2023 4:19 AM

Is that price high for the niche vintage 70s decor market?

by Anonymousreply 59January 25, 2023 5:21 AM

Iā€™m confused because it was sold in 2017 and is now on the market again. Itā€™s not like it retained the original owners, which would explain the interiors. So at least two people have owned the house in the last six years and left everything except the kitchen remodel the same (including the matching bed linens and drapes?!).

Whatever. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 60January 25, 2023 9:45 AM

If it was sold in original state in 2017 by the original owner, that adds up to one subsequent owner leaving it intact. Not two.

by Anonymousreply 61January 25, 2023 9:51 AM

Fondue party, anyone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 25, 2023 10:41 AM

It's used in photo shoots and films, r60, it says so in the description. That's why they keep it the same, they get production income out of it.

We did have a thread on this back in 2017, r47, back when it was on the market the first time, but all the old threads were recently deleted for reasons unknown.

by Anonymousreply 63January 25, 2023 10:42 AM

Oh my fucking GAWD! I could feel my epilepsy coming on after viewing that hot pink bedroom, and I'm not even epileptic. Those rooms and that furniture are not nearly as big as they appear. Those photos have all been taken in wide angle mode in order to get as much of the rooms in the photos as possible.

Actually, the place could be turned into a mid century palace, but it would take a good bit of money. Those two huge curved sofas are fabulous but need recovering. Rip out all the gaudy, update all the 70s/80s accouterments and it could be in Architectural Digest.

I'll give the owners one thing though. They've obviously lived there for decades and are the cleanest people on the planet. All that crap looks brand new.

by Anonymousreply 64January 25, 2023 10:57 AM

R63: Thanks. Didnā€™t know it was used for filming, now it all makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 65January 25, 2023 5:12 PM

Who ever designed the interior must have been on acid

by Anonymousreply 66January 25, 2023 5:49 PM

Perhaps no one ever actually lived in it more than a week a year or so?

by Anonymousreply 67January 25, 2023 6:59 PM

Itā€™s probably another ā€œCabin In The Woodsā€ murder house where guests can always choose to drown in the pool OR listen to the ghost of Bibsy Ghetty lll recite the ā€œJoys of Sexā€ chapter 7.

by Anonymousreply 68January 26, 2023 1:46 AM

They could stage a revised Clue in that house, where the rooms, not the people, are named for colors.

by Anonymousreply 69January 26, 2023 1:52 AM

It looks like the Gatehouse of Palm Oil Springs Hell.

by Anonymousreply 70January 26, 2023 2:04 AM

Dahling, we could have fabulous cocktail parties there if this were the DL Clubhouse in Palm Springs!

by Anonymousreply 71January 26, 2023 9:44 PM

I've heard that this may be a filming location when they start production on "DataLunge: Pointless Bitchery" the movie.

by Anonymousreply 72January 26, 2023 10:17 PM

I donā€™t even have a flowy Gucci silk shirt, my testicles always pop out of super low rise jeans, and I believe my facial features have slid further down my face.

Iā€™ll wait in the car

by Anonymousreply 73January 27, 2023 12:57 AM

[quote]my testicles always pop out of super low rise jeans

Is your penis particularly small?

by Anonymousreply 74January 27, 2023 1:03 AM

^ darling we have closets full of beautiful caftans that you may borrow!

by Anonymousreply 75January 27, 2023 10:29 PM

"my testicles always pop out of super low rise jeans"

I'm having a hard time picturing how that happens šŸ¤”... You have some very weird junk šŸ˜³

by Anonymousreply 76January 28, 2023 8:24 AM

Couldn't get past the first few pics....even with my sunglasses on! Vomitus green is not my thing.

by Anonymousreply 77January 28, 2023 8:31 AM

Liberace would have adored this house.

by Anonymousreply 78January 28, 2023 11:32 AM

Liberaceā€™s motherā€™s house was up for sale in Palm Springs - looked like an anonymous fortress outside with swag & gilt rooms facing a courtyard pool.

by Anonymousreply 79January 28, 2023 8:32 PM

I want to meet the Queen that lives in this palace!

by Anonymousreply 80January 28, 2023 10:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!