Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hello, Wisconsin!

Can someone please explain to me why the small town of Green Bay, WI (metro area 320,000 population and two hours from the nearest city, Milwaukee) can support an NFL team?

In my area, have seen the 49'ers move to "rural" (lol) Santa Clara and the Raiders move to LA, then back, then to Vegas, but Green Bay has always been home to the Packers since I was a kid in the 60's. What gives?

As a side note, have met many Wisconsonites who moved to the Bay Area, a few of them a bit "off" but no assholes. Aaron Rogers is a major asshole, but then he's from Chico, CA, a town that breeds ignorance -- and assholes. But let's make this about Green Bay and not about that guy. Or Chico.

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2023 5:54 PM

The city owns the team.

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2023 1:55 AM

It's also organized as a non-profit, and it is generally recognized that the market for it is more-or-less the entire state, including Milwaukee.

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2023 1:58 AM

The Packers actually win games and bring in state-wide viewership and ticket sales.

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2023 2:03 AM

How odd that the tiny city owns the team, and it's non-profit, but that's cool. Thanks for breaking that down. WI fans fans must be dedicated to drive such long distances. Guessing they stay in hotels for the occasion.

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2023 2:05 AM

[quote] WI fans fans must be dedicated to drive such long distances.

And some, like Della, live there.

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2023 2:09 AM

In other words OP, you could have found the answer to your query in 5 seconds, on the internet.

And you're calling us ignorant?

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2023 2:14 AM

Hello, Buffalo!

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2023 2:24 AM

r6, posted this because I wanted to hear from people who live in Wisconsin -- not the Trumpists from Chico-Redding-Arkansas who are already loud and offensive.

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2023 4:27 AM

OP, tell us more about Chico, CA and its assholes!

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2023 4:29 AM

The city does NOT own them R1 / R4. They're owned by "the fans" as a non-profit. It is a pretty interesting setup and the fans love it - Per wikipedia:

[quote]The Packers are the only publicly owned major professional sports franchise in the United States. Rather than being the property of an individual, partnership, or corporate entity, [bold]they are held as of 2022 by 537,460 stockholders. No one is allowed to hold more than 200,000 shares,[/bold] which represents approximately four percent of the 5,011,558 shares currently outstanding. It is this broad-based community support and non-profit structure[5] which has kept the team in Green Bay for over a century in spite of being the smallest market in all of North American major professional sports.

[quote]Green Bay is the only team with this public form of ownership structure in the NFL, grandfathered when the NFL's current ownership policy stipulating a maximum of 32 owners per team, with one holding a minimum 30% stake, was established in the 1980s. As a publicly held nonprofit, the Packers are also the only North American major league sports franchise to release its financial balance sheet every year

Even though it is referred to as "common stock" in corporate offering documents, a share of Packers stock does not share the same rights traditionally associated with common or preferred stock. It does not include an equity interest, does not pay dividends, cannot be traded, and has no protection under securities law. It also confers no season-ticket purchasing privileges. Shareholders receive nothing more than voting rights, an invitation to the corporation's annual meeting, and an opportunity to purchase exclusive shareholder-only merchandise.

[quote]Shares cannot be resold, except back to the team for a fraction of the original price. While new shares can be given as gifts, transfers are technically allowed only between immediate family members once ownership has been established.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2023 9:34 AM

The Packers play in Milwaukee a few games each season so all of us fans who live in southern Wi. don't have to drive all the way to Green Bay

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2023 11:49 AM

The Packers haven't played a game in Milwaukee since 1994, R11. "All us fans"? Really? And you didn't know that?

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2023 1:26 PM

Chico is purple politically, it's a college town. College, you should try it. We have Trumpers and Redding is a racist, fascist stain on the landscape but Chico voted Biden.

I grew up in San Mateo and believe me, there are bigger, louder assholes there, kind of like you.

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2023 1:29 PM

^ That was for R8 from R6.🏈

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2023 1:36 PM

THIS is Wisconsin!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2023 2:13 PM

UW alumni are well-known in the travel industry as the 'most participatory' of all major colleges.

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2023 2:19 PM

That video is pure joy, R15! Love it!

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2023 4:54 PM

That video at R15 is fun but all I could think of is how much stress the force of 10,000s of people jumping up and down in time must be on the bleachers. I was once on a parking deck for a concert and it was moving so much with the people jumping that it was making me seasick.

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2023 5:35 PM

[quote]tiny city

Bigger than Tampa, roughly the same size as Cincinnati, and only 40,000 residents less than Miami.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2023 5:46 PM

"How odd that the tiny city owns the team, and it's non-profit, but that's cool. Thanks for breaking that down. WI fans fans must be dedicated to drive such long distances. Guessing they stay in hotels for the occasion. "

Some do. Others day trip. It's under two hours from Milwaukee - obviously the biggest city/metro in the state. And a little over two hours from Madison, the second biggest. Not crazy far.

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2023 5:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!