Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

7 killed in two shootings in California communit

HALF MOON BAY, Calif. (AP) — Seven people were killed in two related shootings Monday at a mushroom farm and a trucking firm in a coastal community south of San Francisco, and a suspect was in custody, officials said.

San Mateo County Board of Supervisors President Dave Pine says four people were killed at the farm and three at the trucking business on the outskirts of Half Moon Bay, a city about 30 miles (48 kilometers) south of San Francisco.

It wasn’t immediately clear how the locations were connected, though Pine said the suspect worked for one of the businesses. He called the suspect a “disgruntled worker.”

California state Sen. Josh Becker, who represents the area, said people were killed in separate shootings. San Mateo County Supervisor David Canepa tweeted that one shooting happened at a mushroom farm.

The San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office tweeted just before 5 p.m. that a suspect was in custody.

“There is no ongoing threat to the community at this time,” the sheriff’s office said.

Television footage from the area showed officers taking a man into custody without incident.

Aerial television images also showed police officers collecting evidence from a farm with dozens of greenhouses.

The shooting followed the killing of 11 people late Saturday at a ballroom dance hall in Southern California.

“We are sickened by today’s tragedy in Half Moon Bay,” Dave Pine, president of the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors, said in a statement. “We have not even had time to grieve for those lost in the terrible shooting in Monterey Park. Gun violence must stop.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 24, 2023 8:35 PM

It’s like the Superbowl Playoffs and California is winning.

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2023 1:22 AM

I thought California had strict gun laws?

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2023 1:25 AM

r2 many, if not most, of these shooters have no criminal history.

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2023 1:33 AM

R2, here are the numbers. Not one blue state among the top 10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2023 1:34 AM

It's not even February.

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2023 1:37 AM

Here’s the suspect! Another white supremacist. .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2023 1:47 AM

The gun access in the country are a fucking disgrace. The country is sick. SICK.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2023 1:52 AM

I really can't imagine why this keeps happening only in the United States.

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2023 1:54 AM

What are the odds of having two mass shootings by two different Asian men 67+ years of age? Connected or just coincidental crazies?

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2023 1:58 AM

Both these recent shooters suspects seem to be older Asian men. Just coincidence or was the second somehow triggered by the first?

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2023 1:59 AM

[quote]The gun access in the country are a fucking disgrace. The country is sick. SICK.

It truly is. Private citizens can buy military-grade weapons any time they want. It's fucking insanity. What do people think is going to happen when these weapons are in the hands of the general public?

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2023 1:59 AM

Fuuuuck! Half Moon Bay is so calm and sleepy. Interesting note @ r9 and r10. Was just thinking the same.

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2023 2:00 AM

R11, that’s bullshit and why wasn’t there frequent mass shooters when guns were far more prevalent? Something happened since 1999

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2023 2:01 AM

Busting stereotypes these guys are.

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2023 2:02 AM

r13 these weapons like AR-15s weren't around long ago.

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2023 2:03 AM

[quote] why wasn’t there frequent mass shooters when guns were far more prevalent?

What's wire hangers doing in this closet when I told you: no wire hangers ever?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2023 2:04 AM

[quote] that’s bullshit and why wasn’t there frequent mass shooters when guns were far more prevalent? Something happened since 1999

The Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, popularly known as the Federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB), was a subsection of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, a United States federal law which included a prohibition on the manufacture for civilian use of certain semi-automatic firearms that were defined as assault weapons as well as certain ammunition magazines that were defined as large capacity.

The 10-year ban was passed by the U.S. Congress on August 25, 1994 and was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on September 13, 1994. The ban applied only to weapons manufactured after the date of the ban's enactment. It expired on September 13, 2004, in accordance with its sunset provision. Several constitutional challenges were filed against provisions of the ban, but all were rejected by the courts. There have been multiple attempts to renew the ban, but none have succeeded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2023 2:07 AM

Oh look, another day ending in "y" !

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2023 2:07 AM

This is terrible i have no idea what to do about it. Guns have just saturated the country now. It is little different than Mexico. In Mexico most of the gun violence is over drugs or territory but here its just random pissed off people just opening fire on anybody around. Damm it's a scary prospect.

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2023 2:08 AM

[quote] Just coincidence or was the second somehow triggered by the first?

The first was named Tran, so perhaps the second was triggered by the T.

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2023 2:08 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2023 2:17 AM

Terrorists.

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2023 2:17 AM

Maybe he was pissed off about the price of gas in Half Moon Bay.

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2023 2:22 AM

The next time you assholes want to dust off your greatest nation on earth bullshit: you're not. Your addiction is why.

by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2023 2:23 AM

Rational, intelligent Americans do not believe we're the greatest nation on Earth. We usually point to the incredibly civilized Scandinavian countries. And then we worry that we're being racist. But whatever.

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2023 2:35 AM

Well there's about three of you, R25.

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2023 2:40 AM

[quote] This is terrible i have no idea what to do about it. Guns have just saturated the country now. It is little different than Mexico. In Mexico most of the gun violence is over drugs or territory but here its just random pissed off people just opening fire on anybody around.

Oh, please. They hack up bodies in Mexico. It’s a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2023 2:45 AM

No R2. The entire country has lax, out of control gun laws.

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2023 2:46 AM

[quote] We usually point to the incredibly civilized Scandinavian countries.

Overrun with Muslims and forced diversity. They’re not civilized at all. They still have a Neo-Nazi problem and don’t forget the Norwegian shooter.

by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2023 2:46 AM

You're a shithole too, R27. Stop kidding yourself. You can't get better until you admit you've got a problem. Stop being the Madonna's Instagram of nations.

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2023 2:48 AM

Sum Ting Wong!

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2023 2:52 AM

r26 must come from the most civilized country on Earth

by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2023 2:54 AM

My brother works in Half Moon Bay, lives outside of town in a rural area.

You can imagine my panic when I saw the headline. He was no where near the incident but fuck this is too close for comfort.

I can't imagine that a person's thought process that would allow them to kill even one person let alone mowing down multiple victims. Beyond sick.

I still feel upset, the families and friends of the victims must be in torment.

by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2023 3:00 AM

Disgruntled worker at a mushroom farm.

That's something you don't hear every day.

by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2023 3:07 AM

R32, that's a big group, compared to the company your's now keeps. Iraq, Iran, Syria, Russia...

by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2023 3:10 AM

r35 I'm enjoying the view of the sparkly lights of Manhattan right now, from my apartment (that I own) on the UES. One that you will never be able to afford. What's the view like where you are? Goodnight.

by Anonymousreply 36January 24, 2023 3:17 AM

[quote][R2], here are the numbers. Not one blue state among the top 10.

You know that stat counts suicides, also, right r4? States like Wyoming and Alaska have the highest suicide rates, as well. Wyoming is #1 and Alaska is #2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 24, 2023 3:19 AM

…living in red states will do that to you, r37. And you can easily buy the instrument of your demise at Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 38January 24, 2023 3:23 AM

The gun violence in blue states is still outrageous, it's not really something to brag about that gun violence in blue states is lower than in red states. It's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. And I'm saying this as a lifelong blue state resident.

by Anonymousreply 39January 24, 2023 3:24 AM

I’ve been hearing many anti Asian “jokes” since this weekend’s incident.

Totally distasteful and not funny.

This country is so fucked up and just overran with trash people.

by Anonymousreply 40January 24, 2023 3:25 AM

The gun violence in blue states is still outrageous, it's not really something to brag about that gun violence in blue states is lower than in red states. It's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. And I'm saying this as a lifelong blue state resident.

by Anonymousreply 41January 24, 2023 3:26 AM

R35, so American. I'm in my 1.5M dollar house in a safe country, looking down at you in your avarice and ignorance. Remember: duck!

by Anonymousreply 42January 24, 2023 3:27 AM

Blue. Red. Doesn’t matter the whole country is a gun crazy madhouse. Until the Republicans no longer want it this way we have to live with the carnage.

by Anonymousreply 43January 24, 2023 3:30 AM

Close the door R41, I’m getting an echo.

by Anonymousreply 44January 24, 2023 3:31 AM

Gung hay fat choi!

by Anonymousreply 45January 24, 2023 3:34 AM

You can say what you’d like about how dangerous the US is but people, including the young from the Nordic couturiers still are clamoring to get in, regardless.

by Anonymousreply 46January 24, 2023 3:40 AM

[quote] I'm in my 1.5M dollar house in a safe country, looking down at you in your avarice and ignorance. Remember: duck!

There are no "safe countries." And 1.5m isn't much.

by Anonymousreply 47January 24, 2023 3:52 AM

True r46. The US is still a top destination for immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 48January 24, 2023 3:53 AM

r43 Most Democrats don't want to completely ban guns, either. You're, ironically, using a Republican talking point by suggesting this.

Anyway, the red/blue state argument on this issue is stupid. This country has a cultural problem with violence, in general. If it weren't guns, it'd be knives, like the UK.

by Anonymousreply 49January 24, 2023 4:02 AM

If the UK had guns, it would be just as bad as the US.

by Anonymousreply 50January 24, 2023 4:06 AM

r50 Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 51January 24, 2023 4:07 AM

r46, cite statistics and evidence. Not seeing that here.

by Anonymousreply 52January 24, 2023 4:14 AM

Brits are all over Florida and LA, for starters. They absolutely love both places.

by Anonymousreply 53January 24, 2023 4:16 AM

Absolutely, R25. We need to shelve that shit.

by Anonymousreply 54January 24, 2023 4:20 AM

I'd never heard of Half Moon Bay. it looks incredible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 24, 2023 4:22 AM

Video footage of the arrest.

The guy looks like a little psycho creep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 24, 2023 4:48 AM

He looks Southeast Asian.

Interestingly, most Asian gang members are either Filipino, Vietnamese, Lao, or Thai.

Those countries have a history of gun violence, whereas China, Japan and Korea do not.

by Anonymousreply 57January 24, 2023 4:51 AM

Ts & Ps

Next!

by Anonymousreply 58January 24, 2023 7:56 AM

I feel like I’m living in an altered universe. Another 17 people gunned gun in deaths more brutal than civilian deaths in Ukraine. Another DL thread where 1.5 million “isn’t much” and people brag about their wealth and do lots of ‘look over there’.

As one of the majority who will never own a gun, never have a 1.5 million home, never be able to hole up in a gated community or secured condo building……I just feel completely helpless and hopeless. I vote but that doesn’t do much good. I got an education, I’m a hard worker, I’ve worked 3 jobs when needed……I’ll never be rich, I’ll never be able to watch the world burn from my penthouse or run off to Canada.

Not sure about any other regular young(ish) Joes but I do feel that people like us are not too far removed from cannon fodder. We risk being blown to pieces in a supermarket while one side poses for Christmas cards with AR15s and the other sends love and support from their multi million homes while claiming to be middle class on $700,000 a year.

We live in a supposed democracy but the majority is being held in a chokehold by two minority groups who both think they are far more common and average than they actually are.

by Anonymousreply 59January 24, 2023 8:19 AM

Not from the good countries R48.

by Anonymousreply 60January 24, 2023 8:20 AM

But the UK doesn’t have guns, you halfwit R50 - which is why it doesn’t have the mass shootings that your beloved USA does. Did you actually type that out and not think of cause and effect?

I swear if DL is a reflection of a cross section of Americans you all cannot be saved. Of course, you don’t want to be, because of American Exceptionalism - it’s different for all of you, somehow.

Oh look, another mass shooting across in Oakland! Only one confirmed death - hardly worth reporting on, except for the 7 injuries.

Your culture is fucking heinous.

by Anonymousreply 61January 24, 2023 8:30 AM

[quote]Another 17 people gunned gun in deaths more brutal than civilian deaths in Ukraine.

This hyperbole is of no use to anyone. Have you seen any of the videos of civilian deaths in Ukraine? Being shot is not more brutal than what they're going through. Ukrainian citizens are lucky if they were only shot, and not blown up, tortured, or crushed under a building.

[quote]Another DL thread where 1.5 million “isn’t much” and people brag about their wealth and do lots of ‘look over there’.

Yeah, that guy is a troll. If you refuse to put trolls on ignore, this is what happens. It's all up to you, even though you won't admit it. You must like to get upset by trolling if you continue to freak out about trolls instead of putting them on ignore.

by Anonymousreply 62January 24, 2023 9:13 AM

Even if there were 5 mass shootings, 20 people killed in each shooting, every single day of the year, that would still be less than 1% of the total number of deaths in the United States each year.

I only say this to give a broader picture of how the number of shooting deaths in this country relates to the total number of deaths, I don't mean to say that we should just accept mass shootings as part of normal civilized society.

by Anonymousreply 63January 24, 2023 2:21 PM

R59 nailed it.

And the "Wizard of Oz" keeps telling the little people like us to "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 24, 2023 2:35 PM

The gun laws are stricter in CA. The first shooter was making his own guns and had an arsenal.

by Anonymousreply 65January 24, 2023 2:37 PM

[quote]While The Rest of the World Collectively Rolls It's Eyes

[quote]the company your's now keeps.

Oh, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 66January 24, 2023 2:51 PM

[quote]Disgruntled worker at a mushroom farm. That's something you don't hear every day.

True. Most mushroom farmers are usually very gruntled.

by Anonymousreply 67January 24, 2023 2:51 PM

[quote]The entire country has lax, out of control gun laws.

Bullshit.

In fact, California has the strictest gun laws in the nation.

Laws do not stop lawbreakers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 24, 2023 2:55 PM

[quote]Not from the good countries [R48].

Check out the white collar workforce in NYC, lots of immigrants from the "good countries."

by Anonymousreply 69January 24, 2023 3:45 PM

[quote]But the UK doesn’t have guns, you halfwit [R50] - which is why it doesn’t have the mass shootings that your beloved USA does. Did you actually type that out and not think of cause and effect?

You must've missed the word "IF" in that post, idiot.

IF the UK had guns, it would be just as bad as the US. Think of all those white trash chavs with guns. And the militant Muslims. The mind shudders.

by Anonymousreply 70January 24, 2023 3:46 PM

[quote]Your culture is fucking heinous.

UK culture and American culture are basically the same. The point is that the only thing stopping Brits from having the same level of gun crime is because the bulk of their citizens (and even police force) don't have guns. The knife crime in the UK, however, is a reflection of the same murderous, trashy, culture that if given the opportunity would mirror that of the US.

Remember, the US was founded by Brits who were basically tired of the British and their trashy culture. Sadly, some of that trashy culture stayed with them and was brought here. At the end of the day, though, the trash started in the UK. Just look at the BRF.

by Anonymousreply 71January 24, 2023 4:17 PM

Don't forget the Irish and Scottish r71.

by Anonymousreply 72January 24, 2023 4:29 PM

The have a suspect in custody.

It bothers me that my first thought was that at least the guy is also Asian, so was less likely to have been a racially motivated hate crime.

by Anonymousreply 73January 24, 2023 5:27 PM

No one in power is seriously looking out for avg people, their safety, or their wallet. Especially not rich lawmakers or billionaires. Pricing entire swaths of the population out of the economy will drive much worse than a few shootings in the future, I fear. I expect to see gangs of bandits roaming the country in the next few decades. People who want to survive that mayhem (for whatever reason) will probably need lots of guns, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 74January 24, 2023 5:36 PM

[quote]Remember, the US was founded by Brits who were basically tired of the British and their trashy culture.

Whilst we remember, perhaps you will tell us about this trashy culture of the 1700s, great historian.

by Anonymousreply 75January 24, 2023 6:55 PM

Can we spare just one bullet for r75?

by Anonymousreply 76January 24, 2023 6:58 PM

I know it's hard not to be defensive these days.

by Anonymousreply 77January 24, 2023 7:01 PM

R76, are you still sulking from last night, up there in your penthouse, Lisa Douglas. You shut ins!

by Anonymousreply 78January 24, 2023 7:04 PM

It's not a penthouse, it's an 11th floor co-op. But you're in a "safe" country so why do you care?

by Anonymousreply 79January 24, 2023 7:08 PM

Poor R77 be like:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80January 24, 2023 7:10 PM

R77 r77 r80 (and i hardly block anybody.. )

by Anonymousreply 81January 24, 2023 8:30 PM

You're so noble, R81. What an example to us all!

by Anonymousreply 82January 24, 2023 8:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!