Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Am I the only one that hates “The Last of Us”?

Jesus, just more Walking Dead bullshit. This had been so hyped so maybe my expectations weren’t realistic. Pedro Pascal is a cutie, no argument there but this is crap.

by Anonymousreply 57February 11, 2023 7:18 AM

Better production values than the Walking Dead. Really shows that this was a worldwide apocalypse. Ep. 3 is supposed to be great.

by Anonymousreply 1January 23, 2023 10:50 PM

Filmed in Alberta, so pass.

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2023 12:17 AM

It is awful. I didn't make it past the first episode. All the glowing reviews are so weird. In what world is this a quality production? The acting sucks too.

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2023 12:26 AM

I thought it was boring and dreary. And I was looking forward to watching it… I enjoy apocalyptic type fare.

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2023 12:28 AM

It’s alright. But yeah, nothing too original in the 2 episodes so far, except that it’s a fungus this time. I expect the game was more novel when it premiered. And we’ve already seen the transformation of people into flora in the film Annihilation.

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2023 12:36 AM

I’m not watching anything based on a fucking game.

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2023 12:38 AM

Well r6 you shouldn't write things off just because they were based on a game. Doesn't mean it can't be a good project. And this is only going to get bigger and bigger, live action tv shows/movies based on games aren't going away.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2023 12:41 AM

“Who” not “that”, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2023 12:45 AM

"Die" not "live" r8

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2023 12:53 AM

All I know is that the young actress on this show is UGLY.

How did she get cast?

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2023 1:15 AM

How is this series premise different from Walking Dead, or any zombie apocalypse for that matter? I mean, it's just one big "zoinks! we gotta outrun the packs of zombies" scenario. As the series plods on and on, it becomes about (shocker!) which lead character gets killed off

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2023 1:15 AM

It's not that different, but it's still entertaining. And the Walking Dead is basically 28 Days Later.

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2023 1:20 AM

I'm simply sick of zombie shit. If I want to deal with zombies I'd walk over to one of the thousands of trash-encrusted encampments of the drug addicted and mentally ill all over town and say hello.

Also ... I was underwhelmed by the writing and the pointless convoluted drama of the show. I don't hate it, but "meh".

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2023 1:41 AM

(And I don't want to be cruel but Bella Ramsey is a very ... unusual looking lead)

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2023 1:43 AM

RETRACTION: after swearing off this show someone told me to just watch the third episode. Holy shit! Blown away. What a beautiful and unexpected episode.

by Anonymousreply 15January 31, 2023 9:35 PM

R13 I am with you, man!

by Anonymousreply 16January 31, 2023 9:40 PM

Pedro Pascal a cutie??? His face looks like a chewed up old shoe.

by Anonymousreply 17January 31, 2023 10:10 PM

Third episode anyone. Kinda gay. OK, a lot gay. Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 18January 31, 2023 10:47 PM

It is different than the Walking Dead. The creatures evolve and are part of a hive mind. You step on the tendrils and it is like a GPS, they'll come after you. I'm tired of zombies as well (stopped watching TWD when Neagan popped up) but this does have some sizable differences.

by Anonymousreply 19January 31, 2023 10:59 PM

He doesn't look his nest in this r17. He's much cuter than that.

by Anonymousreply 20January 31, 2023 11:46 PM

OP I don't like it and couldn't watch much, enough with zombies.

by Anonymousreply 21February 1, 2023 12:09 AM

Ep 3 was lovely. What a beautiful paradise they created in a horrible world.

Likely gay actor and DL favorite Nick Galitzine posted about it. I know he played the games, but it still made me smile :)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 1, 2023 4:13 AM

A lot of people hated the third episode as they wanted zombies and they feel that the bar is set so low for television that people think this was great writing. 25 years ago it would have been deemed below average. People are saying that audiences have forgotten what great writing is.

by Anonymousreply 23February 1, 2023 4:39 AM

25 years ago that episode wouldn't have been made.

by Anonymousreply 24February 1, 2023 4:42 AM

[quote] People are saying...

You sound like a Trumptard.

Episode 3 wouldn't have been made 25 years ago. It was beautifully written, you incel fuck.

by Anonymousreply 25February 1, 2023 4:50 AM

[quote]A lot of people hated the third episode as they wanted zombies....

Blah, blah, blah.

Here's what a lot of people are [bold]REALLY[/bold] saying....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 1, 2023 5:36 AM

I watched the game version and it’s way better. Bella is hard pass as Ellie.

by Anonymousreply 27February 1, 2023 5:41 AM

I love Murray Bartlett so I wanted to watch it for that reason alone. I made it through about an hour of the first episode and gave up. I was not interested or entertained and the only way I would continue is if someone paid me to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 28February 1, 2023 5:47 AM

It gets better so far each episode.

by Anonymousreply 29February 1, 2023 5:50 AM

Same, R28: I haven't managed to make it through the first episode yet (three attempts). Pascal is watchable; the daughter is fantastic, the plane crash was exciting but it all feels like a chore. I'm expecting it to become just another soap-opera-with-zombies thing.

by Anonymousreply 30February 1, 2023 5:36 PM

How many fucking PRESTIGE TV Series are going to be about Zombies or the Apocalypse.

by Anonymousreply 31February 1, 2023 5:44 PM

I'm at the very least glad that a video game adaptation has been done that critics are accepting. There's far better stuff than The Last of Us out there and maybe this will open the gates for other adaptations to get financed.

by Anonymousreply 32February 1, 2023 5:47 PM

I thought the same thing when I started watching but it's not The Walking Dead. This show goes to a completely different place. Keep watching.

by Anonymousreply 33February 1, 2023 6:09 PM

I hate the zombie genre (books, movies, TV shows), so pass.

by Anonymousreply 34February 1, 2023 7:43 PM

Two words: THIRD EPISODE

by Anonymousreply 35February 1, 2023 7:48 PM

R23 - Bullshit. All I've been reading on social media are fans of the show highly praising 'Long, Long Time'. Many are already calling it one of the best episodes of 2023. Even Linda Ronstadt's music is suddenly popular on most music apps.

CNN Entertainment - ‘The Last of Us’ just made an early claim to one of the best TV episodes of 2023:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 1, 2023 8:03 PM

It's a good episode r36 but is being insanely overhyped.

by Anonymousreply 37February 1, 2023 9:17 PM

I don't hate it, but I have given up on it. The older I get, the less ugliness I want to see. It stays in my head too long. So, even though I like science fiction and some zombie productions, no more of this show for me.

by Anonymousreply 38February 1, 2023 10:27 PM

It was really good, R37 but I suspect it will now return to Walking Dead zombie stuff.

by Anonymousreply 39February 1, 2023 10:49 PM

[quote] Bullshit. All I've been reading on social media are fans of the show highly praising 'Long, Long Time'.

Wrong. People are trashing it everywhere. People are divided. Even IMDB is fighting over it.

by Anonymousreply 40February 1, 2023 11:02 PM

Watched the first episode, but yeah, I’m kinda over the apocalypse already. Too many apocalypses.. apocalypi?

by Anonymousreply 41February 1, 2023 11:04 PM

Higher budget than the walking dead. They can afford to let the surroundings tell the story while the walking dead had to include at least several speeches per episodes.

by Anonymousreply 42February 1, 2023 11:12 PM

So it's about zombies?

I'm going to wait until all the first season episodes are ready and watch the whole thing at once.

by Anonymousreply 43February 1, 2023 11:21 PM

R10 picks on kids for their appearance. Charming

by Anonymousreply 44February 1, 2023 11:27 PM

[quote]Even IMDB is fighting over it.

It's the same pack of incels that review-bombed She-Hulk. Like youi.

by Anonymousreply 45February 2, 2023 12:59 AM

[quote]A lot of people hated the third episode as they wanted zombies

And? They'd also probably be the first in line for the 12 Marvel movie of the year. If their attention span is that shot, there's always The Walking Dead.

by Anonymousreply 46February 3, 2023 2:59 AM

No. That said, I thought the before-credit sequences of episodes 1 and 2 BRILLIANT. However it was mostly snoozy gamer writing (this happened and this happened and this happened) until episode 3 which was indulgent and banal. As someone said online the episode was very lazy writing, and hit every easy trope. It also brought the entire narrative to a pointless halt. One can only presume all the cooing and sighing about it being some kind of great episode was from clap-happy girlybears and millennial schoolgirls fingering themselves over a tastefully kissy but no sex bear-love story.

by Anonymousreply 47February 7, 2023 6:49 AM

The original:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 7, 2023 6:55 AM

New York Times calls "The Last of Us" a right wing fantasy.

"The Last of Us has sort of tricked sentimental liberals into rooting for a resource-hoarding gun nut defying evil pandemic authorities. "

‘If they weren’t queer, I suspect it would be obvious that this is an upscale suburban version of a right-wing fantasy.’

The episode starred Nick Offerman as a gun toting doomsday prepper whose distrust of the government allowed him to escape death and have everything he needs in the apocalypse

The setting features the fenced community Offerman’s character, Bill, created to protect his resources and fight off invaders

The New York Times columnist claims the hit HBO show celebrates Bill’s ‘deeply conservative’ story, which begins with the doomsday prepper avoiding military officials rounding up citizens for quarantine.

Bill’s distrust is proven right as viewers were shown earlier in the episode that his neighbors were ultimately killed by the military because there was no more room in the quarantine communities.

What follows is a montage of Bill setting up his private paradise filled with hot showers, red wine and farm-to-table cuisine, while the rest of the world plummets in the zombie apocalypse.

Goldberg said it realizes the fantasy of preppers, people who hoard resources and weapons in secret bunkers in case of world-ending emergencies.

Goldberg also claims the show brings to life ‘some right-wingers dream of building fortresses against invading mobs.’

In the episode, Bill’s defense system is able to kill and ward off invaders going after his resources.

A show in which the government’s pandemic response leads to an incompetent but brutal brand of fascism.’

by Anonymousreply 49February 7, 2023 7:13 AM

[quote]The New York Times columnist claims the hit HBO show celebrates Bill’s ‘deeply conservative’ story, which begins with the doomsday prepper avoiding military officials rounding up citizens for quarantine.

They were being rounded up and killed. The episode clearly showed this.

by Anonymousreply 50February 7, 2023 1:11 PM

It’s a total negative energy doom n gloom shit show. Not interested.

by Anonymousreply 51February 7, 2023 9:14 PM

one of the best TV episodes of 2023? hahhahahahah they would say the same if it ws about hetero couple?

by Anonymousreply 52February 10, 2023 10:41 PM

I stopped watching. It's just a rehash of people shooting zombies. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 53February 10, 2023 10:44 PM

I’m slowly warming up to it, but yes, it’s a canned zombie series. Because it was HBO, I stuck it out and gave it a chance. HBO typically produces TV series that are more sophisticated when compared with other networks and some streaming services.

by Anonymousreply 54February 10, 2023 10:57 PM

I hated it. I watched that "heartwarming" special gay episode, and it was very treacly, with occasionally pleasing moments of the two men, but the rest of the show is just rehashed zombie fare. And that tedious twosome of the silent, tough man and the bratty smart girl. Fuck off!

by Anonymousreply 55February 10, 2023 11:07 PM

Fell asleep twice during the first episode. Fell asleep once during the second episode so things are looking up.

by Anonymousreply 56February 10, 2023 11:16 PM

Day of the Triffids reboot?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 11, 2023 7:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!